Robert Rodriguez's ALITA

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Battle Angel Alita

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:41 pm

So is this in the can now, or was just stopped so all energies could be focused on Avatar? It sounded sort of cool.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:58 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:36 pm

That's kind of an unfortunate headline there.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:That's kind of an unfortunate headline there.

Damn straight.

what the fuck do they mean?

Underaged to act?
Certainly not underaged for the part because it is a young girl/robot.

If it means under the age of sexual consent...so fucking what, she's playing a robot. It's makes no difference if the girl is underage.

There are underage girls in violent films all the time so what's the big stink, unless it's insinuating that Cameron is a Paedophile.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:40 pm

papalazeru wrote:

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:That's kind of an unfortunate headline there.

Damn straight.

what the fuck do they mean?

Underaged to act?
Certainly not underaged for the part because it is a young girl/robot.

If it means under the age of sexual consent...so fucking what, she's playing a robot. It's makes no difference if the girl is underage.

There are underage girls in violent films all the time so what's the big stink, unless it's insinuating that Cameron is a Paedophile.

Oh dude, don't even bother! The attitude with all the people in here at least is that "Oh it's only a movie, so no immorality counts, be it overviolence, heroes killing innocent people, or farking underage sex acts with minors - oh and as it's just a robot let's do even worse things to 'it' nevermind the fact that the 'it' in question STILL represents a real person!"

It's just hyprcrisy on people so they can believe what they want, and like it's some kind of morality switch, they'll say, oh it's good morals when the hero wins for ethical reasons, and turn on the "Movies are great! They influence morality in us all" switch, then when something immoral is done to it/her by the film makers, they'll then turn on the "It's only a movie, immorality don't count." switch. You guys are all a bunch of contradicting dickheads sometimes, that REFUSE to admit it when you're wrong!!

So NOW - we're gonna get paedo fantasy indulgement by not just the film makers, but by the audience too, who are gonna lap up their paedo perversions as they have 2 excuses for it. 1. It's just a robot (that still represents an actual underage girl STILL!), and 2. It's just a movie. ... So I'm totally with ya, Paps.

It's bollox, Papa!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: James Cameron's Battle Angel

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Jame Cameron talks too much shit and really needs to decide whether he's going to fucking knuckle down to a film.

Alita is another movie I really want made and I think Cameron could do it but it's not a PG. It needs the violence and it needs the SFX. The comic is ADULT. Lets keep it that way.

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:25 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: James Cameron's Alita: Battle Angel

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 am

'Avatar' Producer Says 'Battle Angel Alita' Has A New Name, Will Follow 'Avatar 2'
Larry Carroll wrote:“I’m telling people that we have to call it ‘Alita: Battle Angel,’ because Jim only does T&A movies,” grinned Landau, listing the examples. “’Titanic,’ ‘Aliens,’ ‘Terminator,’ ‘Abyss,’ ‘True Lies,’ ‘Avatar.’”

“So, we can’t call it ‘Battle Angel’,” he insisted. “We have to call it ‘Alita: Battle Angel.’”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: James Cameron's Alita: Battle Angel

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 am

TheButcher wrote:'Avatar' Producer Says 'Battle Angel Alita' Has A New Name, Will Follow 'Avatar 2'
Larry Carroll wrote:“I’m telling people that we have to call it ‘Alita: Battle Angel,’ because Jim only does T&A movies,” grinned Landau, listing the examples. “’Titanic,’ ‘Aliens,’ ‘Terminator,’ ‘Abyss,’ ‘True Lies,’ ‘Avatar.’”

“So, we can’t call it ‘Battle Angel’,” he insisted. “We have to call it ‘Alita: Battle Angel.’”

So THAT'S the secret to his success!!!! You hear that, Gaffney and Pacino? You 2 are going down.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Al Shut on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:55 am

Will Follow Avatar2 ?

Will Follow Avatar 2?

barf!
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:21 am

So does that mean Avatar 2 will need to be called Twavatar or some such bollocks? :wink:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 pm

TheButcher wrote:From SciFi Wire:
James Cameron reveals Battle Angel Alita plans

That article wrote:Director James Cameron said his own daughters were the inspiration for his proposed adaptation of the Japanese manga Battle Angel Alita at an Earth Day ceremony Thursday at 20th Century Fox Studios in Los Angeles to mark the debut of his Avatar Blu-ray and DVD.

"I just love the character," Cameron said in a group interview. "Maybe it's from having daughters. I have three daughters, and thinking about what it's like, the main character is this little girl that everybody kind of ignores. She's got such a heroic heart on the inside, I've always loved that character."

Cameron, Avatar producer Jon Landau and voice actor CCH Pounder were on hand Thursday to plant a tree to mark a partnership between Fox and Earth Day Network for the "Home Tree Initiative," which will plant 1 million trees native to each region in 15 countries by the end of this year.

Landau said that his Battle Angel movie would look at the humanity from a new perspective. "Battle Angel, I think, is a science fiction movie that begs the question 'What does it mean to be human?'" he told a group of reporters. "It takes place in a future world, a world that has cyborgs, but are you human if you have a mind, if you have a heart, if you have a soul? It's a journey of a young girl who tries to discover herself and what she learns upon that journey."

Battle Angel Alita would certainly follow in Cameron's tradition of strong female protagonists, including Terminator's Sarah Connor, Aliens' Ripley and Avatar's Neytiri. "Another strong female character," Landau continued. "I think the idea of this journey that Alita goes on is something that people can really identify with, the sense of self-discovery."

I've heard enough. James, you're gonna fuck it up...and one of my favourite comics.

"I have 3 daughters"...Who the fuck cares?

"We're going to plant trees..", well go head you tree hugging hippy.

If you get this wrong, I'm coming over to Hollywood with an axe and I'm going to do exactly what you're going to coarsely cut out of this movie - the fucking heart and soul.

This isn't a kids flick, so don't make it one.

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 am

BATTLE ANGEL Update from James Cameron
Hunter Daniels wrote:Collider: Hey, is Battle Angel still happening?

Cameron:
I’m obviously going to be pretty busy for the next five years [with Avatar 2 and 3]. And so I had to consider, do I hand this project off to another director? And then I thought, ‘No, I love it too much.’”

I’m not a big fan of Manga but I read all of those books. My favorite was the love story in part two and the death games in the 3rd and 4th. Which of the stories are you going to do?

Cameron:
It’s such a rich world. What I’m going to do is take the spine story and use elements from the first four books. So, the Motorball from books three and four, and parts of the story of one and two will all be in the movie.

Cool, I’m really excited for that.

Cameron
: Me too.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 am

TheButcher wrote:BATTLE ANGEL Update from James Cameron

Cameron:
I’m obviously going to be pretty busy for the next five years [with Avatar 2 and 3]. And so I had to consider, do I hand this project off to another director? And then I thought, ‘No, I love it too much.’”

I’m not a big fan of Manga but I read all of those books. My favorite was the love story in part two and the death games in the 3rd and 4th. Which of the stories are you going to do?

Cameron:
It’s such a rich world. What I’m going to do is take the spine story and use elements from the first four books. So, the Motorball from books three and four, and parts of the story of one and two will all be in the movie.

Cameron

I think he could do a really good job of Battle Angel Alita, the plot isn't overly complex but I hope he doesn't mash everything together and come out with something quite braindead. Avatar felt like that, to me.

papalazeru

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:08 pm

papalazeru wrote:
TheButcher wrote:BATTLE ANGEL Update from James Cameron

Cameron:

Cameron:

Cameron

I think he could do a really good job of Battle Angel Alita, the plot isn't overly complex but I hope he doesn't mash everything together and come out with something quite braindead. Avatar felt like that, to me.

He needs someone to write his scripts from his ideas. He creates great worlds but inane metaphors and dialog.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 09, 2012 5:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Robert Rodriguez's Battle Angel

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:06 pm

Fox, James Cameron Set Robert Rodriguez To Helm ‘Alita: Battle Angel’
http://deadline.com/author/mikefleming/ wrote:Twentieth Century Fox and producers James Cameron and Jon Landau are in talks with Robert Rodriguez to direct Alita: Battle Angel, the live-action adaptation of the graphic novel series Battle Angel Alita by Yukito Kishiro.

Fans of the graphic novel have salivated over the prospect of Cameron directing the film, but he’s just too busy with three sequels to Avatar going back to back-to-back. So he’ll entrust it to Rodriguez, who launched the El Mariachi, Spy Kids, Sin City and From Dusk Till Dawn franchises. He also launched the El Rey network.

Set in the 26th century, Alita: Battle Angel tells the story of Alita, an amnesiac female cyborg who is rescued from a scrapyard by a doctor. The rebuilt Alita, remembering only her training in a deadly martial art, becomes a hunter-warrior, tracking down and eliminating vicious criminals. Within the context of an epic action-adventure, the film will explore a young woman’s journey of self-discovery and finding love.

“Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do Battle Angel,” Cameron said in a statement. “He’s very collaborative and we’re already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun riffing creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there’s nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing reins. We’re looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic.”

Added Robert Rodriguez: “Battle Angel is an incredibly rich and vibrant epic in the tradition of Jim Cameron’s spectacular, character-driven films. Getting to work from Jim’s terrific and visionary script while learning the cutting edge techniques he’s pioneered is a master class in filmmaking. It’s an honor to explore the world of Alita along with Jim and Jon, whose films have impacted me for decades.”

Cameron and Landau, who will produce for Fox under their Lightstorm Entertainment banner, are in pre-production on the Avatar sequels.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 27, 2016 1:55 am

Exclusive: Rosa Salazar to Lead ‘Battle Angel Alita’
James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez have locked their leading lady.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 29, 2016 12:07 am

Fox Delays 'Maze Runner' Sequel Release By Nearly a Year as Star Dylan O'Brien Continues Recovery
Hilary Lewis wrote:According to sources, O'Brien was in a harness on top of a moving vehicle when he was pulled off the vehicle unexpectedly and hit by another vehicle. His injuries were described in a report from WorkSafeBC as including a "concussion, facial fracture and lacerations." When the production shutdown was extended, insiders told THR that O'Brien's injuries were more severe than initially believed.

Fox dated and shuffled a number of titles this week, also moving another untitled Fox/Marvel film up to June 29, 2018 from July 13 of that year, bumping its Shane Black-written and -directed Predator reboot up to Feb. 9, 2018 from March 2 of that year and slightly moving back Kenneth Branagh's new adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express from Nov. 10 to Nov. 22 of 2017.

The studio also dated Greg Mottola's comedy Keeping Up with the Joneses (starring Isla Fisher, Gal Gadot, Zach Galifianakis and Jon Hamm) for Oct. 21 of this year and set dates for Luke Scott's Kate Mara starrer Morgan (Sept. 2, 2016), the Warren Beatty-written and -directed ensemble film Rules Don't Apply (Nov. 11, 2016), Francis Lawrence's spy thriller Red Sparrow (Nov. 10, 2017) and Robert Rodriguez's Alita: Battle Angel (July 20, 2018), produced by James Cameron and Jon Landau.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun May 29, 2016 9:33 am

TheButcher wrote:Exclusive: Rosa Salazar to Lead ‘Battle Angel Alita’

'Battle Angel Alita' learns nothing, casts non-Asian actress as the lead

I fucking hate people.

This movie, like Ghost in the Shell, is being made by an American production company. If this movie was being produced by a Haitian film company, I'd expect a high majority of the actors to be extremely dark-skinned. If it was a Colombian company, I'd expect medium-toned skin on a majority of the actors. If it was an Icelandic production, every actor would be ridiculously beautiful. Why is it so difficult to understand that foreign properties, that are developed and produced into American films, would represent American audiences? It's one thing if the character's race IS the story (American slavery, Japanese internment camps, Mexican migrant workers, Ku Klux Klan, etc.). But in Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita, the character's race is not the story. Why not complain that actual Japanese actors are not being used? I don't mean Americans of Japanese descent, but actual Japanese actors that would speak Japanese. Why not complain that the spoken language will be English and not Japanese? Oh sure, people want the actors to LOOK like the characters from the manga, but they don't want them to SOUND like them! And if there were subtitles, the viewer would be spending all their time reading the movie rather than acknowledging how much the characters look like their source material counterparts.

Just fuck off already.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sun May 29, 2016 11:19 pm

ok, Jerry....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Tue May 31, 2016 8:53 am

Fievel wrote:

I fucking hate people.

This movie, like Ghost in the Shell, is being made by an American production company. If this movie was being produced by a Haitian film company, I'd expect a high majority of the actors to be extremely dark-skinned. If it was a Colombian company, I'd expect medium-toned skin on a majority of the actors. If it was an Icelandic production, every actor would be ridiculously beautiful. Why is it so difficult to understand that foreign properties, that are developed and produced into American films, would represent American audiences? It's one thing if the character's race IS the story (American slavery, Japanese internment camps, Mexican migrant workers, Ku Klux Klan, etc.). But in Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita, the character's race is not the story. Why not complain that actual Japanese actors are not being used? I don't mean Americans of Japanese descent, but actual Japanese actors that would speak Japanese. Why not complain that the spoken language will be English and not Japanese? Oh sure, people want the actors to LOOK like the characters from the manga, but they don't want them to SOUND like them! And if there were subtitles, the viewer would be spending all their time reading the movie rather than acknowledging how much the characters look like their source material counterparts.

Just fuck off already.

What he said.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 31, 2016 11:28 am

Fievel wrote:

I fucking hate people.

Just fuck off already.

i think the point you're missing, though, is that there is no huge haitian or icelandic production companies. even the big asian movie companies are small beans compared to Hollywood. Hollywood dwarfs the power and visibility of those other countries' movie industries. a movie made in Hollywood gets seen all over the world, in europe, in africa, in japan and china, everywhere. a select few european movies get seen abroad, and japanese films don't get seen out of japan unless they're godzilla movies. so, as uncle ben would say, with great power comes great responsibility. i'm not sure how far any studio or production should go in feeling "obligated" to cast asian actors when adapting asian properties. but, when you put it in context of Hollywood's treatment of asians throughout history up to today, everything from the mickey rooney stuff and the history of casting white actors to play ACTUAL asian characters, to today when asians are one of the most underrepresented ethnicities in hollywood films (and when they are cast, it's in typical stereotypical asian roles), it is disappointing to see another opportunity to show asians as something other than ninjas or yakuza mobsters go to waste. whether any individual casting choice or story choice can be explained away, when you look at the overall effect, it's a bad look. you have to wonder when it's not just a single film, but a well-documented trend.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue May 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 pm

After hearing about this project for almost 20 years and being that it's Cameron and being that it's Rodriguez I really shouldn't give a shit about this, but I'm actually looking forward to it.

I'm glad to see Rodriguez doing a studio film, honestly. His backyard home movies are amateurish trash.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:29 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:After hearing about this project for almost 20 years and being that it's Cameron and being that it's Rodriguez I really shouldn't give a shit about this, but I'm actually looking forward to it.

I'm glad to see Rodriguez doing a studio film, honestly. His backyard home movies are amateurish trash.

wow. if the movie can live up to the promise of that trailer then count me ALL in

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm on board. Looks awesome!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:23 am

I'm not feeling the gigantic anime eyes
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:31 am

The eyes remind me of the female character from Bioshock Infinite. They didn't exactly bother me, but they definitely bring attention to themselves. I'm assuming that they'll be explained somehow through her construction.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:22 am

I think the eyes are supposed to make her look non-human, plain and simple. it is a jarring, ever-present aspect to her appearance that helps in the process of questioning what is life, what is sentience, what is human? we have a few million years of evolution developing our visual abilities and we are able to discern faces from each other based on minute details better than any other mammal, it is hardwired specifically to decode human faces but is thrown off simply by turning a face upside-down. by making the eyes larger the filmmakers are showing they are knowledgeable in regard to human perception and are making a point to trigger our main sensory input with a "not human" response toward a character(s) on an instinctual level but also has human-like qualities to appeal to our emotions, which will create an inner conflict of how to think/feel about this character and hopefully start an existential thought process which will invest the viewer one way or another in the fate of the non-human character. movies like this are usually slanted toward asking the audience to stretch their acceptance of what is life and sentience and to consider new possibilities that technology brings in regard to life and consciousness.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:17 am

It's definitely a bold choice. It's grown on me after re-watching the trailer, but there's still an Uncanny Valley aspect to it that's creeping me out a little (I get that they're commenting on this phenomenon in the movie, nonetheless).

As for the movie itself? Hard to say without seeing more. I know fixating on the face seems superficial but at the moment it's the one thing I can see that distinguishes it from other A.I. fare like Ghost in the Shell, Ex Machina or, well, A.I.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 pm

right, if they don't do their job with the writing and direction then it won't matter how visionary the character and set design are. unfortunately the better job they do in making it a smart science fiction movie the less chance it will do well at the box office, the general public in this country simply aren't intelligent, educated, or sophisticated enough to appreciate those kinds of movies as demonstrated by the weak performance of Blade Runner this summer. now, if they have a lot of cool futuristic guns that kill people in graphically gnarly fashion and some good 'splosions and the cgi is good and with a sufficient amount of t&a shots with an archetypically simplistic good guy vs bad guy story it will make a profit.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby so sorry on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 am

Well that confused me! Pretty neat.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Previous

Return to Movie News