Commercials in Movie Theaters

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Commercials in Movie Theaters

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:59 am

There can't be a moviegoer that actually likes seeing commercials in movie theaters. When will this end? AMC theaters are the worst. They constantly play video projected commercials in between shows. I actually got shushed by a lady for talking during the commericials. The trailers hadn't even started. Other theaters are bad but AMC theaters are the worst. It's unlikely anyone will ever see a blank silver screen at an AMC theater during business hours.

If the attendance decline is directly correlated with in-theater advertising, I can't feel sorry for exhibitors.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:05 am

I don't mind the pre-movie (before the trailers/film have started rolling) ads so much. It's better than staring at a blank screen, and i generally ignore them by talking anyway. But the ads that have been included in once the film is rolling, but prior to the trailers (are you following me?) annoy me. They take away from valuable trailer time, which is 40% of the fun in going to the theater for me...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:30 am

Don't mind the ad's, its handy if I'm late turning up for a showing. As for being shushed during the ads, well thats just disgraceful.

The ad attacks are always worse for a big movie aimed at kids like Toy Story 2, then there are tons!! Breakfast cereal, toys, mini-cartoons, I forget the horrors I endured.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:59 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:They take away from valuable trailer time, which is 40% of the fun in going to the theater for me...

Really? Depending on what trailers they show, and how the movie turns out in the end, I'm thinking trailers can be more around the 55-60% of the fun.

With some of the shit that's out now, I would rather pay $10 to sit through 2 hours of trailers.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 am

One thing I like about "The 20"...more time to smoke up in the car, 'cuz there's no fuckin' way I'll ever sit through that abortion ever again.

Tho' the Best Buy, or whatever chain, that does the "looks-like-a-movie-but-it's-actually-a-turn-off -yo'-cell-advert" got me the first time I ever saw it.
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:59 am

Commercials suck.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:20 am

I know there's a chain of theatres here in Bat Countryâ„¢ that refuses to play comercials.

I have my own stance, if they want to play comercials beforehand, then the only way I could justify that is if they removed product placement from the movie itself.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:32 am

Now a you talking crazy!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:35 am

that's me all over
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:One thing I like about "The 20"...more time to smoke up in the car, 'cuz there's no fuckin' way I'll ever sit through that abortion ever again.

Tho' the Best Buy, or whatever chain, that does the "looks-like-a-movie-but-it's-actually-a-turn-off -yo'-cell-advert" got me the first time I ever saw it.

I got suckered by a new one of those this weekend. It looked like a documentary about some kerazy extreme skier. I was like BAD ASS.

And then ring started. What a chump I am.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:58 am

I wouldn't mind ads for Fanta and Coca-Cola etc before the trailers if they weren't the same fucking ads I see on TV...If I wanted to watch those I would stay at home and watch TV. Plus those "ads" about preventing movie piracy are ridiculous as well. I am already there stop talking down to me like I am a criminal when I have already paid. On the upside I love the slide shows before the ads/trailers featuring local ambulance chasing attorneys and dental surgeons.

ON the subject of those ads that look like trailers I was actually fooled by one back in the 90's that was the reverse. The first trailer I saw for Escape from LA started as if it was a message from the theater manager telling the audience not to talk, smoke, eat read meat and all marriages would be approved by the manager. The only reason it got me was because I was on vacation at the time in a chain of theaters I had never been to before.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:02 am

There was an aritcle on JoBlo I think and it had mentioned that even though moviegoers complain about ads and that it is a huge reason why movie attendence has declined, in the next couple of months the advertising in movie theatres is going to INCREASE by 20%.

I'll try and find the article and post a link.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby DanielSan on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:07 am

You know what bugs the shit outta me more than the standard commercials before movies? That goddamn Jimmy Fund. The frigging movie theater plays that frigging ad with all those sick kids, and then sends the ushers walking up and down the aisle with collection buckets trying to guilt theater-goers into donating. HELLO? I just spent $20 on 2 tickets, and then shelled out ANOTHER $20 just for popcorn and drinks, and now you want me to give you MORE money?

I'll tell you what.... if you movie theater owners want to really help the Jimmy Fund, why don't you take a chuck of that concession stand money and donate it yourselves! $20 for a medium bag of stale popcorn and 2 frigging Cokes. Gimme a break! Fuckwads. And don't even get me started on the whole "We-can't-let-you-bring-any-bags-into-the-theate r-FOR-YOUR-SAFETY" bullshit. My safety my ass. The theater's just don't want you sneaking in your own food.

Ok. I'm done.

Long Live Kong. (And at over 3 hours, he does just that!)
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:10 am

Damn, that sucks..I've never had ushers walk down the aisles with collection buckets..shit we don't even have ushers here anymore.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby DanielSan on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:22 am

jgraphix wrote:Damn, that sucks..I've never had ushers walk down the aisles with collection buckets..shit we don't even have ushers here anymore.

At our theaters, it doesn't happen at every screening, which kinda makes it worse.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby DanielSan on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:24 am

WOO HOO! I'm now a "Tomboy Beanpole" and no longer a GLIB! Finally, I'm no longer in Matt Lauer's category!

I'm know. I'm a dork.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Conroy420 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:18 pm

This only recently started happening in my area in the last year or so. They opened a Cineplex Odeon in my town, and that was the first time I had ever seen comercials at the movies.

Prior to that, the only theaters were Famous Players but once Odeon bought FP, comercials there too!

As the above poster said, it does give that extra time where you can be late getting to the theater, whether traffic or getting munchies a the stand.

So I don't mind them so much, just when there's more comercials than trailers.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Brocktune on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:30 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:One thing I like about "The 20"...more time to smoke up in the car, 'cuz there's no fuckin' way I'll ever sit through that abortion ever again.

great minds think alike, o my brother.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:37 pm

its hard to argue against commercials in theathers... its not like they stop the movie every 20 minutes to play a commercial (fuck, i hope that never happens!).
but i'm one of those dorks that likes to get to a theater early to get a good seat, so i have to suffer thru "the 20".

what would be cool is if they'd reduce the fucking ticket prices since they are tapping into new revenue with these commercials...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:58 am

DanielSan wrote:You know what bugs the shit outta me more than the standard commercials before movies? That goddamn Jimmy Fund.)

I was a pube away from sayin' that...damn modship, I'm Losing My Edge!!!
What really irks me 'bout that is that I KNOW that the pimply faced teens who take your donations STEAL THE MONEY!!!

Brocktune wrote:

great minds think alike, o my brother.

:wink:

so sorry wrote:but i'm one of those dorks that likes to get to a theater early to get a good seat, so i have to suffer thru "the 20".

heh. Ditto. But I arrive early, buy my ticket, throw down my jacket over my desired seat, head on back to the car, get blazed, and time my arrival to avoid all the nonsense.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:12 am

commercials before the movie annoy me, but commercials on dvds annoy me even more. i bought the damn movie, now let me watch it without having to sit through a bunch of ads, trailers, or worst of all, that damn annoying anti-piracy ad every time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:14 am

TheBaxter wrote:commercials before the movie annoy me, but commercials on dvds annoy me even more. i bought the damn movie, now let me watch it without having to sit through a bunch of ads, trailers, or worst of all, that damn annoying anti-piracy ad every time.

Especially when they wont let you jump to the menu. That drives me insane. At least with VHS you could just fast forward...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:25 am

so sorry wrote:its hard to argue against commercials in theathers... its not like they stop the movie every 20 minutes to play a commercial (fuck, i hope that never happens!).
but i'm one of those dorks that likes to get to a theater early to get a good seat, so i have to suffer thru "the 20".

what would be cool is if they'd reduce the fucking ticket prices since they are tapping into new revenue with these commercials...

I have to admit, the commericials are a nice bufferzone for when I'm late, which happens often now that I know I have a 20 minute window. But I would like to show up early, get seats and talk with friends without being forced to watch commercials. I really don't know what has to happen for this to stop. I'm afraid it won't. TV is free because we have to watch commercials (thank god for Tivo) so then why do we have to watch them when paying $10 + for a movie?

If I can ever afford to become a mini-Nader, I would propose a boycott for each product I see up on the screen, prior to the trailers. If some kid sitting all the way in the back in a stadium style auditorium were to put up a square of cardboard over the projector's window, that would be a good thing but I'm afraid some people would actually complain.

What if enough people came out and started complaining, asking for refunds? How many people would it take? Is it illegal to throw a tomato at the screen?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby clownboy on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:02 pm

Maybe I'm an old fart...but I miss the simplicity of a blank white screen framed with old velvet curtains...with some light classical music playing to set the mood...now it's damn local ads projected again, and again and that damn COKE movie trivia schlock gumming up the mind...

and then...horrible ads for cars and soft drinks...arrgghhh

These days I find a seat early, sling my jacket over a seat and ask a kind fellow moviegoer to watch my seat, then hang out in the lobbby or just outside the theatre doors dodging stares from the ushers and I wait until I can hear the first previews.
clownboy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby You Know My Name on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:46 pm

I say fuck the commercials and bring on communism! Who's with me?
MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU.
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Return to Movie News