The Official Box Office Thread

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: The Official Box Office Thread

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 pm

TDK insane B.O take for me. Though IM beating Indy was a very nice suprise.
With TDK though I even said earlier in this thread I didn't think it would beat any of the Spiderman film grosses as it was to dark. That audiences embraced a film so dark and dischordant fills me with hope about what can be successful and will get fianaciers interested.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby buster00 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

I had no doubt that Dark Knight was going to be huge, and I was certain that Speed Racer would tank, but I'm really surprised that Wall-E hasn't posted bigger numbers (both domestic and worldwide).

Of course, I haven't seen it yet either. :oops:
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Yup, I figured TDK would be a big success, but this big?? I had no idea it would be this big.

I haven't seen Wall-E yet either...
:oops:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Re: The Official Box Office Thread (Biggest Summer surprise?)

Postby Vegeta on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:25 pm

I would say that the biggest suprise to me is Wall-E cost so farking much. It's not like they are paying anyone but the programmers. There isn't even any voice talent (or much need for it). Regardless it will make a killing on DVD.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:40 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote: The relative disappointment of Wall-E (financially)?

Keep in mind that still hasn't opened in some major international markets.

Yup, understood, but I'm focusing primarily on the domestic gross anyway. I'm actually really surprised that Wall-E didn't do better here.

It wasn't full of fart and Britney Spears jokes. It didn't stand a chance.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote: The relative disappointment of Wall-E (financially)?

Keep in mind that still hasn't opened in some major international markets.

Yup, understood, but I'm focusing primarily on the domestic gross anyway. I'm actually really surprised that Wall-E didn't do better here.

It wasn't full of fart and Britney Spears jokes. It didn't stand a chance.

I hadn't noticed they were part of the Pixar formula...

Still waiting for Wall-E in many countries, and at this point I'm actually pretty surprised that the publicity machine isn't working much harder to whet the film's potential audience's appetites.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 am

Vegeta wrote:I would say that the biggest suprise to me is Wall-E cost so farking much. It's not like they are paying anyone but the programmers. There isn't even any voice talent (or much need for it). Regardless it will make a killing on DVD.

Uh you are kidding right? It's not just programmers that worked on that film. If you want to really be shocked by the cumulative cost of a production dig around and find some real numbers on the cost of Shrek.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:44 am

I think marketing may have done WALL-E in a little. They focused so much on the cutesie stuff when he was alone in the first act people probably figured the entire movie would be like an old Chaplin film.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:30 am

Tropic Thunder stays at #1 for a third week, fending off Babylon AD.

The Mojo's Weekend Estimates.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:52 am

"Burn After Reading" and "Quantum of Solace" are the only two movies for fall that i am amped up for at this point......a real shame we don't have either the new Star Trek or H@rry Potter movies to look forward to this fall/winter

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby hackett on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:00 am

Batman would need to stay in theaters for 200 days to surpass titantic (if it averaged 500,000 per day). The DVD release is going to be in mid december, so obviously Titantic will remain tops.

As for me... I was shocked to see that Cars (which was my least favorite movie ) has grossed more money than Ratatouille and Wall E. Which for some reason has made me fear that McCain and Palin will actually beat Obama.
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Ribbons wrote:Quantum of Solace is coming out this fall? Ah snap!

Fuck that Craig loser, The Transporter is the REAL new James Bond, and we've got number three coming out this fall. I'll be watching that instead of Quantum of Solace.

Pity 4 Fast 4 Furious isn't coming out until next summer, I had dreams of actually seeing Diesel and Transporter in the same month. Oh well.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby buster00 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:35 pm

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:17 am

BUMP because it ain't been BUMPED in awhile.

It's troubling. Beverly Hills Chihuaua is sill atop the box office tallies.

1. Beverly Hills Chihuahua -- $17,511,000
2. Quarantine -- $14,200,000
3. Body of Lies -- $13,120,000
4. Eagle Eye -- $11,015,000
5. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist -- $6,500,000
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:40 am

buster00 wrote:BUMP because it ain't been BUMPED in awhile.

It is enough to send me searching for the nearest fall out shelter. This has to be the end, right? Right???!?!?!?!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
buster00 wrote:BUMP because it ain't been BUMPED in awhile.

It is enough to send me searching for the nearest fall out shelter. This has to be the end, right? Right???!?!?!?!

Its not that bad. It's a 40% drop off from the first week, and really, there's just crap out there right now. If Chihuaua was beating Batman, I'd be disheartened.

I would have expected that Nick and Norah thing to have done better though...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby psychedelic on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:42 pm

Has anyone here seen Beverly Hills Chihuahua?

It's made 52.5 million dollars as of this weekend, which is a bit mind-blowing. Its success has been attributed to the economic meltdown. People want a brainless comedy right now, apparently. There hasn't been a fluke hit like this since My Big studly Greek Wedding, whose success I attribute to post 9/11 depression and the fact it presents arch-conservative values in the most gumming benign manner.
"The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel."
psychedelic
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Quarantine came in second and is probably already profitable since it likely cost about $4.75 to make. I saw it this weekend, it's not worth much more than that.

Brilliant, I waant to make lame horror flicks for a living.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:04 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Quarantine came in second and is probably already profitable since it likely cost about $4.75 to make. I saw it this weekend, it's not worth much more than that.

You need the bible then.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:27 pm

Max Payne is going to be the clear winner this week at the B.O. after pulling in $7 million on Friday. Still, it won't be much of a haul for the flick when all is said and done.

W. just barely took second place Friday with $3.8 compared to the $3.6 pulled in by The Secret Life of Bees. The theatre I saw W. in was absolutely packed and it was a 4:50 show. I am surprised it didn't make a little more.

Complete Friday estimates here.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:W. just barely took second place Friday with $3.8 compared to the $3.6 pulled in by The Secret Life of Bees. The theatre I saw W. in was absolutely packed and it was a 4:50 show. I am surprised it didn't make a little more.

I really thought that W. was going to be this weekend's champ. It does look pretty interesting.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:15 pm

I'm not sure who the intended audience for W. is. By all accounts it's not scathing enough for people who hate him to spend money and 2 hours on and it's not reverent enough for people who like him to do the same. A moderate approach to the man may be a good idea . . . in another 10 years.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:17 pm

Wow. W. drops to 4th place for the weekend if these estimates hold up. Secret Life of Bees grossed $11.5 to W.'s $10.5 in 500 less theatres. Never a good sign.

For a complete list of the totals click here.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Beverly Hills Chihuahua made STILL over 11 million Dollar this weekend? Wow, I hope Conan has to say something about this. :D
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:08 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Beverly Hills Chihuahua made STILL over 11 million Dollar this weekend? Wow, I hope Conan has to say something about this. :D

Only a 36% drop off is pretty impressive. I just don't get it. Kids must be so chatty. One kids sees it and tells all his/her friends who then pester their parents and BAM! money is made.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Only a 36% drop off is pretty impressive. I just don't get it. Kids must be so chatty. One kids sees it and tells all his/her friends who then pester their parents and BAM! money is made.

You have no idea...Once the buzz starts around a "cutesy" flick, the kiddos are all clamoring to be the first in the class to see it.
Tween bragging rights.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Let' the record show that Wall-E's lack of financial success was voted by the Zone to be the biggest summer surprise.

It's October now...poll deleted.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:42 pm

buster00 wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:W. just barely took second place Friday with $3.8 compared to the $3.6 pulled in by The Secret Life of Bees. The theatre I saw W. in was absolutely packed and it was a 4:50 show. I am surprised it didn't make a little more.

I really thought that W. was going to be this weekend's champ. It does look pretty interesting.

i, for one, and completely unsurprised. when this film was first announced, my first thought was, who the hell wants to watch a film about george w bush right now? and no matter how good the trailers or ads might have looked, they couldn't possibly make me or a lot of other people want to spend 2 hours in a theater watching the guy's story. bush's presidency was a disaster, and this is a disaster movie, except it's being released while the disaster is still happening. who would've wanted to see a 9/11 film on 9/12? or a katrina film while people were still dying in the superdome? or all those iraq war films that keep tanking at the box office while that war drags on? people see all that crap every day on the news, they don't want to spend $10 or $12 to see 2 more hours of it in a theater, no matter how "funny" or "insightful" it may look. and with bush still around to fuck up the economy and piss away $700+ billion dollars on bailing out rich wall st banks, it's just, for lack of a better term, TOO SOON.

maybe in a few years from now, this film could've succeeded, with more distance and time to recover. or maybe a few years ago, when anger at bush was at a fever pitch. but right now, people are just tired of him and want him to go away. and they don't want to go watch a movie that will remind them of just how horrible his presidency and the last 8 years in this country under his "leadership" have been.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:50 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
buster00 wrote:

i, for one, and completely unsurprised. when this film was first announced, my first thought was, who the hell wants to watch a film about george w bush right now? and no matter how good the trailers or ads might have looked, they couldn't possibly make me or a lot of other people want to spend 2 hours in a theater watching the guy's story. bush's presidency was a disaster, and this is a disaster movie, except it's being released while the disaster is still happening. who would've wanted to see a 9/11 film on 9/12? or a katrina film while people were still dying in the superdome? or all those iraq war films that keep tanking at the box office while that war drags on? people see all that crap every day on the news, they don't want to spend $10 or $12 to see 2 more hours of it in a theater, no matter how "funny" or "insightful" it may look. and with bush still around to fuck up the economy and piss away $700+ billion dollars on bailing out rich wall st banks, it's just, for lack of a better term, TOO SOON.

maybe in a few years from now, this film could've succeeded, with more distance and time to recover. or maybe a few years ago, when anger at bush was at a fever pitch. but right now, people are just tired of him and want him to go away. and they don't want to go watch a movie that will remind them of just how horrible his presidency and the last 8 years in this country under his "leadership" have been.

co-signed. Well said Baxter...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Quarantine came in second and is probably already profitable since it likely cost about $4.75 to make. I saw it this weekend, it's not worth much more than that.

Cloverfield meets 28 Days Later?
Could have been better.
Wasn't.
Want money back.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:12 pm

They saved 25 cents by converting the original script into English using Google Translate.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Opening day gross for Twilight: $35,700,000, the second highest opening day of 2008 (no points for guessing what #1 was).
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 am

'Twilight' takes $70.6M bite out of box office

Buzz Up
* Send
o Email
o IM
o Digg
o Facebook
o Newsvine
o del.icio.us
o Reddit
o StumbleUpon
o Technorati
o Yahoo! Bookmarks
* Print

By CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Movie Writer Christy Lemire, Ap Movie Writer – Sun Nov 23, 5:26 pm ET
Fan Noelle Buffam displays words written on her fists at the premiere of the Reuters – Fan Noelle Buffam displays words written on her fists at the premiere of the movie 'Twilight' at the …

* Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Play Video Video: Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart ABC News
* 'Twilight' - Putting Oregon Center Stage Play Video Video: 'Twilight' - Putting Oregon Center Stage KGW NewsChannel 8 Portland, Ore.
* Review: `Twilight' takes bite out of book's fun Play Video Video: Review: `Twilight' takes bite out of book's fun AP

LOS ANGELES – Audiences found the vampire romance "Twilight" infectious in its opening weekend, pushing the movie to a take of $70.6 million.

Catherine Hardwicke's film also enjoyed the biggest opening ever for a female director, blowing away the previous standard of $41.1 million set by Mimi Leder's "Deep Impact" in 1998.

Drawing from its huge fan base of teenage girls, who fell for Stephenie Meyer's novel of forbidden love between brooding vampire Edward Cullen and bookish high schooler Bella Swan, "Twilight" made a whopping $20,636 per theater, according to Sunday morning estimates.

And the fangirls will get another taste soon enough: Summit Entertainment, which released "Twilight," announced during the weekend that it's going ahead with production of "New Moon," based on the second book in Meyer's internationally best-selling series. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart will return as its star-crossed lovers, but whether Hardwicke will be at the helm again is still being determined.

The laid-back Hardwicke, who went bodyboarding at sunset Saturday to take her mind off this high-pressure weekend, said Sunday morning that she was heading to a meeting later in the day to discuss her possible involvement in "New Moon."

"I want to be sure that it's going to be done right. I don't want to rush into it," she said. "It's not like `Friday the 13th' or `Halloween,' you can't just do it super fast and knock another one out. I want to understand their plans and all that."

Hardwicke, whose previous films include "Thirteen" and "Lords of Dogtown," also said she was thrilled about the prospect that the success of "Twilight" will inspire other women and young girls to pursue a career in filmmaking.

"I hope not just women but all minorities get enthused and encouraged by it. I look at the (Directors Guild of America) calendar, at the pictures of everyone that had different movies each month, and it's usually 22-29 different directors, and almost every month there's one female and maybe one minority," she said. "We've been having a lot of events, talking to a lot of fans, and so many kids of course are madly in love with Robert but tons of kids of every kind (and) girls are coming up to me and saying `I want to direct now, I'm writing a screenplay now, you're my inspiration.' I think it's great that people are getting excited."

The big opening for "Twilight" also helps put Summit Entertainment on the map, said Richie Say, the company's president of domestic distribution. Summit has only been around since April 2007 and "Twilight," its sixth release, cost just $37 million to make.

"It certainly says what we've been saying all along, that we can do more with less," he said. When Warner Bros. pushed "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" from this weekend to a July 2009 debut, and Summit jumped to move "Twilight" from Dec. 12 into that spot on the schedule, "that decision was made in a day. I don't know that the major studios have that ability."

The tremendous take for "Twilight" far exceeded expectations, which had been set around $50 million.

"Teen girls rule the earth," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. "If you look back at the `Hannah Montana' movie, how well that did, and now this movie, the teen girl audience will never be ignored again or underestimated. It was always teen boys who were the coveted ones, but someone finally caught on to the idea that girls love movies, too, and if you create something that they're into, that they're passionate about, they will come out in big numbers and drive the box office."

The other major debut of the weekend, Walt Disney's 3-D animated "Bolt," made $27 million to take third place. Featuring the voices of John Travolta and Miley Cyrus, "Bolt" follows the cross-country journey of a dog who plays a superhero on television, but sadly realizes he has no magical powers once he gets separated from his "person."

Chuck Viane, Disney's head of distribution, said "Twilight" took a bite out of everyone's box office this weekend. If the vampire saga hadn't been around, Viane said, Disney would have expected an opening of at least $30 million.

"Obviously we believe in the Thanksgiving holiday in a big, big way," he said. "We've always viewed this as one of those 10-day marathons between opening day and the end of the Thanksgiving weekend."

Last weekend's No. 1 movie, "Quantum of Solace," came in second with $27.4 million. The latest James Bond extravaganza has now grossed $109.5 million, and it crossed the $100 million mark faster than any other film in the franchise, said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony. It's also made $309 million internationally.

"We're in great shape. We're way ahead of where we were with `Casino Royale,'" said Bruer, referring to the last Bond picture, which also starred Daniel Craig as a more visceral incarnation of 007.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Twilight," $70.5 million.

2. "Quantum of Solace," $27.4 million.

3. "Bolt," $27 million.

4. "Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa," $16 million.

5. "Role Models." $7.2 million.

6. "Changeling," $2.6 million.

7. "High School Musical 3: Senior Year," $2 million.

8. "Zack and Miri Make a Porno," $1.7 million.

9. "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas," $1.67 million.

10. "The Secret Life of Bees," $1.28 million.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby buster00 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:13 am

Flash, meet Pan.

Four Christmases leads Friday's box office.

Will Twilight come through for a second weekend at #1? If it doesn't, I'll just cut my arms to shreds, OMFG!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:38 am

Twilight drops to 3rd place, with Bolt showing better legs on this second, family-geared weekend (actually they are performing about the same, but the drop was bigger for Twilight)... was there really any doubt regarding Four Christmases? The movie was tailor-made for the Thanksgiving weekend, no?

And yikes, Australia looks to be the second Speed-Raceresque disappointment of the year: budgeted at 130 million (according to Box Office Mojo) and coming in at 5th place with $20 million over the 5-day weekend!!!!!! :shock: PWNT!

And James Bond still hasn't made back its enormous budget, is this worrisome?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:04 am

Pacino86845 wrote:And James Bond still hasn't made back its enormous budget, is this worrisome?

No, because the worldwide figures are running a healthy $482,818,690 on that $200,000,000 budget. Bond will be just fine.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:11 pm

buster00 wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:And James Bond still hasn't made back its enormous budget, is this worrisome?

No, because the worldwide figures are running a healthy $482,818,690 on that $200,000,000 budget. Bond will be just fine.

Where did that budget go? I saw the movie and unless Olga's tanning bed cost one hundred million dollars, I can't say I saw anything that looked really expensive other than that weird power cell building at the end. That is if it wasn't computer genereated.

For the most part the movie was just Craig rolling around on the ground with one other dude at a time. I always figured shakeycam fights were cheap seeing as they appear in every DTV movie I rent.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:00 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Where did that budget go? I saw the movie and unless Olga's tanning bed cost one hundred million dollars, I can't say I saw anything that looked really expensive other than that weird power cell building at the end. That is if it wasn't computer genereated.

For the most part the movie was just Craig rolling around on the ground with one other dude at a time. I always figured shakeycam fights were cheap seeing as they appear in every DTV movie I rent.

They did shoot on-location all over the world and destroy a couple vehicles; I imagine that'll take a dent out of anybody's wallet
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Friday's numbers foretell an easy victory for TDTESS, as expected.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:30 am

buster00 wrote:Friday's numbers foretell an easy victory for TDTESS, as expected.

If the word of mouth is as bad as some of the reviews I've been hearing, there's going to be a steep decline next week.

I was torn on this one. I thought, done well, that this story could have some modern legs.
That's not what I've been hearing, though.
I wonder how it would have looked with Tilda Swinton playing Klaatu?
The Vicar

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:36 am

The Friday through Sunday estimates are in for Christmas Weekend 2008.

1. Marley and Me -- $37,000,000 (TOTAL: $51,675,000)
2. Bedtime Stories -- $28,069,000 (TOTAL: $38,598,000)
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -- $27,000,000 (TOTAL: $39,008,000)
4. Valkyrie -- $21,531,000 (TOTAL: $30,024,000)
5. Yes Man -- $16,450,000 (TOTAL: $49,591,000)
6. Seven Pounds -- $13,400,000 (TOTAL: $39,026,000)
7. The Tale of Despereaux -- $9,368,000 (TOTAL: $27,945,000)
8. The Day the Earth Stood Still -- $7,900,000 (TOTAL: $63,615,000)
9. The Spirit -- $6,510,000 (TOTAL: $10,352,000)
10. Doubt -- $5,675,000 (TOTAL: $8,825,000)
Last edited by buster00 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:00 pm

I figured Marley and Me, Valkyire, Button and Bedtime stories would top things off, but I kinda figured The Spirit would be a LITTLE higher
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:20 pm

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Vicar on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Bloo wrote:I figured Marley and Me, Valkyire, Button and Bedtime stories would top things off, but I kinda figured The Spirit would be a LITTLE higher

Maybe if the audience had been.....
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:44 pm

"Get off my box office..."
Saturday update has Clint's Torino banking about $9.5 million...on track to hit number 1 with around $28-31 million...

This is possibly quite interesting, because going into the weekend, everybody was predicting an easy number one for Bride Wars, which now looks to probably finish number 2...Bride Wars is released by Fox...

Gran Torino, was expected to do quite well in it's national expansion, and peeps were predicting a second place finish...
Torino is released by Warner Bros...

Irony...?
Coincidence...?
Or did actual quality reign over Fox and their actual dick eating...?

Boxofficeguru.com wrote:Studios offered up a wave of new titles in wide release on Friday and moviegoers responded by turning out in massive numbers. Clint Eastwood's latest effort Gran Torino expanded from limited release and powered its way to number one with an impressive estimate of $9.5M. For the entire weekend period, the Warner Bros. release could score $28-31M proving once again how bankable the legendary actor and director is.

Debuting in second place on Friday was Universal's horror flick The Unborn with an estimated $8.2M. Also opening stronger than expected, the PG-13 thriller should scare its way to $19-21M for the three-day period.

Fox's wedding comedy Bride Wars represented the third new film to post a powerful Friday gross taking in an estimated $8M. The Kate Hudson-Anne Hathaway pic slightly exceeded the $7.8M opening day take of last January's 27 Dresses. For the weekend period, Bride should finish in second place and collect $22-24M.

The marital drama Not Easily Broken posted a winning bow of its own grossing an estimated $2M from only 724 theaters on Friday. Look for Sony to take in $5-6M in three days for a sturdy average of more than $7,000. In fact, all four of these new films may end up averaging over $7,000 this weekend.

With all the new options filling up multiplexes, holdover films suffered large drops. Friday-to-Friday declines included 67% for Marley & Me, 73% for Bedtime Stories, 59% for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and 61% for Valkyrie.

The overall North American box office was incredibly robust with the top ten films grossing an estimated $41M on Friday which should lead to a three-day tally in the vicinity of $125M which would represent a strong 26% increase over a year ago when senior citizens also topped the charts with The Bucket List expanding wide at number one with $19.4M.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Can we just contemplate this for a while.

Friday the 13th made $42.2 million dollars opening weekend. That is, a slasher film about Jason Voorhees. Made $42.2 million dollars.

Really.

Find the rest of the weekend estimates here.

Is it just me or does this first quarter seem to be enormous?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Can we just contemplate this for a while.

Friday the 13th made $42.2 million dollars opening weekend. That is, a slasher film about Jason Voorhees. Made $42.2 million dollars.

Really.

Find the rest of the weekend estimates here.

Is it just me or does this first quarter seem to be enormous?

Largest opening EVER for a pure horror film...

And yes, this 1st quarter has been huge...

boxofficeguru wrote:Overall, the Top 20 hauled in a stunning $185M in ticket sales over the Friday-to-Sunday period making for the biggest Presidents' Day session on record. And just like last month's record Martin Luther King holiday frame, this weekend saw more business at theaters than last year's Thanksgiving and Memorial Day holiday frame.

boxofficeguru wrote:The box office has been churning out hits consistently in 2009. Every weekend this year has been up versus the corresponding frame from 2008 with the exception of Super Bowl weekend which was just a hair behind last year's. Seven wide openers from 2009 have crossed the $50M mark compared to just four last year at this point. The top five films so far this year have collectively grossed an eye-popping $435M which is well ahead of the $329M from last year's five-pack at this same point in time.

Here's the guru link...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Recession depression?

like people spending money on entertainment to escape their "woes" or what, who knows

interesting though
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Bloo wrote:Recession depression?

like people spending money on entertainment to escape their "woes" or what, who knows

interesting though

Movies usually seem to do quite well in times of woe and depression and lack of monies...
Cause everybody feels the need to escape their own personal hell...

Why do you think Gone With the Wind played for so long and did so well back in the day...?

Jason Voorhees is the new Rhett Butler...
And frankly my dear, he don't give a fuck...

I'm hoping to get a chance to check this out tonight...
And send my depression into a recession...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bloo on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Bloo wrote:Recession depression?

interesting though

Movies usually seem to do quite well in times of woe and depression and lack of monies...
Cause everybody feels the need to escape their own personal hell...

Why do you think Gone With the Wind played for so long and did so well back in the day...?

Jason Voorhees is the new Rhett Butler...
And frankly my dear, he don't give a fuck...

I'm hoping to get a chance to check this out tonight...
And send my depression into a recession...

yeah I thought about GONE WITH THE WIND after i posted and it makes sense

I'm not much of a jasoon/Fri 13 fan, but i'm curious to see this
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News