The Official Box Office Thread

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:37 am

BobGobbler wrote:Kong dropped 57.3% from last weekend, 37.3 percent if you count Monday.

Narnia dropped 36% from last weekend and only 5.5% if you count Monday.

And yet Kong still had the higher per screen average this weekend. I think it's because Kong was the more recent film to open, everyone that really wanted to see it saw it opening weekend so by inflating the opening weekend numbers, it's only increasing the drop off from the 2nd weekend. Does it say how much Narnia dropped it's second weekend?

Lord Voldemoo wrote:still haven't seen Kong. I totally intend to see it, but haven't had the time with Christmas coming and all. Can't devote enough time to see that long of a movie. Also, my cousin went and she's not quite old enough to see Kong. [/size]

That's a good microcosm for what's going on nationally. People not having enough time to see that long of a movie, especially these days, and some people being too young to see it. I'm sure that's how Narnia is getting so much business from Kong.

Oh, and sorry about initiating the Titanic comparison. Although I realize that movie was a fluke, I couldn't help but notice the similarities. Two overzealous directors getting all the money in the world to make their passion projects, the biggest films of their careers, that ran over budget at the eleventh hour. Both remakes are grand epic period pieces that opened around the same time of year too. The similarities end there though.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:18 am

And they both had that crazy leg Lord of the Flies dancing bits too. And boats. And boats that wreck into things. And there was that scene where Kong started to draw a picture of a nude Naomi Watts, but got frustrated and smashed the pencils. I think we all shed a tear a little when Kong utter his only dialog in the movie, "No thumb." before storming off to destroy stuff.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:31 am

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote: Does it say how much Narnia dropped it's second weekend?

i believe narnia dropped over 50% it's 2nd weekend - opened up with around 67-68 mill from what i recall - and it's 2nd weekend made low 30's i believe... didn't lose as much this week-end cause of the holidays and whatnot etc...

burlivesleftnut wrote:And they both had that crazy leg Lord of the Flies dancing bits too. And boats. And boats that wreck into things. And there was that scene where Kong started to draw a picture of a nude Naomi Watts, but got frustrated and smashed the pencils. I think we all shed a tear a little when Kong utter his only dialog in the movie, "No thumb." before storming off to destroy stuff.

IPAMPIFUCKINGLASH...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby BobGobbler on Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:17 am

Narnia dropped 51% from its first weekend.

All the low drop shows is that it has the legs that many thought Kong would have. I'll suppose we will know if Kong has those lega for sure after the numbers from one more weekend.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:54 pm

Despite it's trt and Narnia's one week head start, Kong is still kicking it's ass globally.

Narnia - $262m
Kong - $289m

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=narnia.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=kingkong05 .htm
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby WilliamMcGuire on Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:re: Kong vs. Narnia

-Kong is an hour longer than Narnia; less showings a day, fewer people can commit to a 3 hour movie than can a 2 hour movie.

-Narnia is playing on 300 more screens than Kong; there's more access to Narnia

-Kong is PG-13, Narnia is PG; more kids can see Narnia than Kong

with those 3 factors, Narnia is just more accessible than Kong, with the lower rating, shorter running time and the higher number of screens. Despite all that, Kong still had a higher per screen average this weekend.

DocBosch wrote:We were asked to develope and budget a feature, and then the proffesor would give us a total domestic box-office amount. We entered the figure into a template provided by the text book

what text book are you using?

Anyone can see a PG 13 film. It's an advisory rating, and not mandated.
"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do."

- HAL 9000
WilliamMcGuire
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:37 am

WilliamMcGuire wrote:
Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:re: Kong vs. Narnia

-Kong is an hour longer than Narnia; less showings a day, fewer people can commit to a 3 hour movie than can a 2 hour movie.

-Narnia is playing on 300 more screens than Kong; there's more access to Narnia

-Kong is PG-13, Narnia is PG; more kids can see Narnia than Kong

with those 3 factors, Narnia is just more accessible than Kong, with the lower rating, shorter running time and the higher number of screens. Despite all that, Kong still had a higher per screen average this weekend.

DocBosch wrote:We were asked to develope and budget a feature, and then the proffesor would give us a total domestic box-office amount. We entered the figure into a template provided by the text book

what text book are you using?

Anyone can see a PG 13 film. It's an advisory rating, and not mandated.

The same applies to rated R and NC-17 films. It's a suggested rating but those ratings can't stop anyone from going. However, as movie theaters are private businesses, they can. I was working at a theater during Columbine and right when that happened, we couldn't sell R tickets to kids w/o their parents.

So theaters can enforce the rating, I'm sad to say. But also, a PG-13 rating might make a parent think twice about taking their 6 year old to it. A PG rating might make it easier for the parent to send the kids to the movie. And many parents actually do go by the ratings, no matter how convoluted they are. I remember a whole slew of parents taking their kids to that David Lynch film The Straight Story because one, it was released by Disney and two, it was rated G. There's nothing appealing to kids about that film but for some parents, they see a G rating and think it's a kids movie.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:53 am

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:Despite it's trt and Narnia's one week head start, Kong is still kicking it's ass globally.

Narnia - $262m
Kong - $289m

Kong had a global opening, coming out on or around the same day around the world. Narnia opened more traditionally, opening throughout the world on different release dates, so globally Kong has actually been playing longer and wider than Narnia, most foreign countries didn't get Narnia until last weekend, and there's still about 15-20 countries Narnia hasn't opened in.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:40 am

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:
Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:Despite it's trt and Narnia's one week head start, Kong is still kicking it's ass globally.

Narnia - $262m
Kong - $289m

Kong had a global opening, coming out on or around the same day around the world. Narnia opened more traditionally, opening throughout the world on different release dates, so globally Kong has actually been playing longer and wider than Narnia, most foreign countries didn't get Narnia until last weekend, and there's still about 15-20 countries Narnia hasn't opened in.

do you think that Narnia will catch up to Kong globally?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:09 pm

I dunno, I'm not familiar with how the global market performs, but at this point its a bit unfair to compare their worldwide grosses, cause its one week of Kong in almost 60 territories vs two weeks of Narnia in only 13.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:08 am

Will Narnia even be released that wide overseas? Is there enough of a demand? Why are they holding back? Narnia seems to be standing up to Kong stateside, why couldn't it do just as well overseas?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Al Shut on Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:49 am

I can't speak for other countries but in Germany the Narnia books are far less known. At least I think so, I don't know anyone who read them or heard about them before the movie came out.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby BobGobbler on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:09 pm

Narnia pulled about 1 million more than Kong on Friday.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=200 5-12-30&p=.htm
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:28 pm

as of yesterday, Narnia grossed $280m worldwide. Kong outgrossed it by $25m with a total worldwide gross of $305. And it's not even three weeks yet.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:59 pm

So how many screens does Kong and Narnia each have worldwide right now?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:11 pm

I wish bomojo posted that info. I'm taking a wild guess and assuming Kong is on more screens since it might be a more recognizable property worldwide and as doing that much better than Narnia. If anyone knows a site that shows worldwide # of screens, please post.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:18 pm

i dont know about screens, but according to yahoo movies kong is showing in 3576 theatres, while narnia is showing in 3853. also, let me just add real quick that its possible that when yahoo movies says kong is in 3576 theatres, that they mean screens. keep in mind that i can be a real dumbass. but there you go.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:19 pm

Well, there you have it. I assume they mean worldwide??
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:22 pm

no, i think its just the U.S.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:30 pm

Well, see right now that seems to be the point of contention. Kong grossed 25 m more yesterday, but we don't know how many screens narnia is showing on. It's easy to say 'Of course Kong outgrossed Narnia. It had an instant worldwide release and is showing on more screens.'
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:39 pm

Why is there a Narnia vs. Kong theme in this thread? Does it matter which one makes more? Anyone here personally benefitting from their box office take?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Brocktune on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:45 pm

if narnia loses this battle, i will consider it a personal victory against one mr. jesus christ :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:52 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Why is there a Narnia vs. Kong theme in this thread? Does it matter which one makes more? Anyone here personally benefitting from their box office take?

No. But I find the contest fascinating. I don't really have a favorite, but the extrapolating the data to try and determine the outcome, to guess and then re-evaluate continuously, is funner than hell. I think most of the guys following this thread are just having fun watching the horse race, as I am.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:54 pm

Brocktune wrote:if narnia loses this battle, i will consider it a personal victory against one mr. jesus christ :wink:

You're gonna burn in hell someday.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:58 pm

I don't know about worldwide data for screens, but as far as foreign countries, Kong opened on Dec 14-16 around the world in about 55 countries, and opened in China on the Christmas weekend. Narnia opened Dec 8-9 in 13, it did not expand the week of Kongs release, so it spent two weeks in those 13 territories, and then starting on the Wednesday before Christmas added about 17 more before Christmas, and another 6 on or after Christmas, and it still has about 7 more countries it will open in throughout January, with the last being Japan in March.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:16 pm

well - it looks like narnia will take number 1 this week-end - after 2 weeks at the bridesmaid position - but just barely - here - check it out:

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/010106.htm
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:07 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:as of yesterday, Narnia grossed $280m worldwide. Kong outgrossed it by $25m with a total worldwide gross of $305. And it's not even three weeks yet.

And just FYI on worldwide grosses, Narnia's overseas take hasn't been updated at BO Mojo since it expanded, that overseas total is still from its first two weeks in the initial 13 countries.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:
Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:as of yesterday, Narnia grossed $280m worldwide. Kong outgrossed it by $25m with a total worldwide gross of $305. And it's not even three weeks yet.

And just FYI on worldwide grosses, Narnia's overseas take hasn't been updated at BO Mojo since it expanded, that overseas total is still from its first two weeks in the initial 13 countries.

oh sorry. Where does it say that? I must've missed it. But it's worldwide gross does seem to be increasing every day on there...

as of now -

Narnia is at $288m
Kong is at $355m

I probably have done my fair share of pitting Narnia vs. Kong but everytime BobG posts that Narnia grosses $1m more than Kong, I keep feeling the need to post how much better Kong is actually doing compared to Narnia, especially under the circumstances of trt, rating, days in release and # of screens.

Those two movies should've opened 26 weeks apart. Instead they played chicken and are now cannabalizing each other's grosses.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:10 pm

It doesn't say that anywhere, but the overseas gross hasn't changed since the second week update to $78 million. Worldwide is domestic + overseas, because the domestic is being updated, the worldwide still increases even though the overseas gross does not.

Here's a Variety article about the worldwide grosses from the Christmas weekend:

Variety link

Answers a few questions in this thread, as of December 26, Kong was playing overseas on 5,680 screens in 55 countries, and Narnia had expanded to 3,908 screens in 25 markets. And to show that Mojo hasn't updated their overseas data on Narnia, as of December 26 Narnia had grossed $138 million overseas (which is almost double the non-updated $78 million listed on BO Mojo).

Actually reading that article a little more closely, after Narnia expanded to 25 countries it looks like it did overtake Kong worldwide, as of December 26 Narnia's worldwide total had it at over $300 million to Kong's $272. I can't find any updated stats on Narnia's overseas stats since then, but since that weekend probably marked Narnia overtaking Kong in overseas markets weekly, and this week and weekend has Narnia doing the same here domestically, its probably safe to assume Narnia is still grossing more than Kong worldwide cumulatively.
Last edited by Gheorghe Zamfir on Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby BobGobbler on Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:16 pm

I don't fault Universal for not expecting Narnia to be such a sustained threat. I didn't either.

Has a movie ever gone up against a huge blockbuster released a week after it and beaten it in its fourth weekend? This could be a first.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:02 pm

bomojo is updating Naria's worldwide gross as it goes up everyday. Check in tomorrow and you'll see that it's higher than today's.

Globally:

$396.8m - Kong
$381.5m - Narnia

Domestic:

$174.3m - Kong
$224.8m - Narnia

Narnia's beating Kong by about $50m domestically. Interestingly enough, Narnia had a serious headstart, having already grossed $74.2m by the time Kong had opened. So from a $74m lead down to a $50m lead, Kong is slowly catching up. I doubt it'll ever surpass Narnia domesticallly but it might get close, which is weird considering how much longer it is.

Narnia's BO
Kong's BO
Narnia's Daily Breakdown
Last edited by Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:16 pm

Pops, again, worldwide gross is the domestic gross + overseas gross, since they do update Narnia's domestic everyday, the worldwide gross goes up, even though they are NOT updating the overseas gross, if you look at the numbers on the page you're linking to and see how they're broken down, you'll see the overseas is listed at the same $78 million its been listed for the last two weeks, so the worldwide numbers they have listed for Narnia are not representative of its actual worldwide gross.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:43 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:they are NOT updating the overseas gross, if you look at the numbers on the page you're linking to and see how they're broken down, you'll see the overseas is listed at the same $78 million its been listed for the last two weeks

It's updated. I'm looking at:

where it says Narnia's international take is $156.7m, not $78m.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:49 pm

Yea, looks like they've updated after your initial post (and it looks like you've since edited that post as well to show the updated figures). Though it should be noted that the $156.7 number is actually from December 27, before the weekend.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:56 pm

BobGobbler wrote:Has a movie ever gone up against a huge blockbuster released a week after it and beaten it in its fourth weekend? This could be a first.

This specific case might be something new, but blockbusters and sleeper hits do occasionally come back to reclaim the top spot after being out of it a few weeks. It's rare, but not that uncommon.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:01 pm

An quasi-example from 2005 would be Wedding Crashers, which opened at number 2 against Charlie and Chocolate Factory, and overtook it for the number one spot in its 3rd weekend.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:An quasi-example from 2005 would be Wedding Crashers, which opened at number 2 against Charlie and Chocolate Factory, and overtook it for the number one spot in its 3rd weekend.

I thought I remembered that happening, but wasn't sure.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:04 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:An quasi-example from 2005 would be Wedding Crashers, which opened at number 2 against Charlie and Chocolate Factory, and overtook it for the number one spot in its 3rd weekend.

I thought I remembered that happening, but wasn't sure.

here's a link to the highest grossing movies that never actually hit #1:

http://tinyurl.com/8hgrv

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:the $156.7 number is actually from December 27, before the weekend.

bomojo just posted that $156.7m figure in the past hour. If they're really still a week late, what site are you getting your updates from?
Last edited by Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:10 pm

I just peruse the BO Mojo message boards, which have some vigilant posters who dig around for the worldwide grosses and they posted the $156.7 number yesterday as a December 27 number, I don't post the numbers here cause I can't always tell where they're getting the data from, but they're generally pretty spot on (hence them posting the exact number BO Mojo did just now a day earlier).
Last edited by Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:42 pm

And to backup my earlier remark that Mojo's overseas number were pre-weekend, here's the link to BO Mojo's thread on Narnia, where someone just posted a story from Screen Daily that discusses Narnia's international weekend gross (Screen Daily is subscription only, so you'll have to read the article in the thread):

Mojo Forum (scroll to the bottom)

To sum it up, Narnia had a three-day international take of $41.5 million and a four-day take of $53.5, bringing its overseas gross to $225.5 and its total worldwide gross to $450.3.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:18 pm

Do any of those threads reveal how Kong did overseas? If Narnia's page overseas gross isn't updated for on bomojo, I can't imagine that Kong's is.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:28 pm

Hollywood Reporter just posted up their weekend box office article, pretty much jives with what mojo has:

Link here

Mojo updates Kong's overseas numbers almost daily, so I doubt those ones are as off as Narnia's (the article linked here does say Kong's Monday earnings are not yet reported, so probably safe to add another $6-$10 million to the box office). Something about how Disney/BVI reports the numbers must not jive with how Mojo collects the data, cause today's update was their first overseas update on Narnia in two weeks, and its still a week behind.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:01 am

Can't beleive that Narnia overtook Kong.

The good news is that I don't have to hear about a damn slump anymore. The box office is up from last year thanks to these two films.

But how will they do with Bloodrayne coming into the mix?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:31 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:

I hope that's sarcasm.

If anyone skips Narnia or KK in order to see Bloodrayne, that person needs to be deported.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby HeadlessCrane on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:52 am

I hope that's sarcasm.

If anyone skips Narnia or KK in order to see Bloodrayne, that person needs to be deported.

LOL!!!!
HeadlessCrane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby BobGobbler on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:47 am

Bloodrayne, much like King Kong, will be the next titanic. Don't be fooled by weak first weekend numbers!!!
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:29 am

I'm a telling you I donna know why alla you putzes dinna expect a the Narnia to do well inna the States, eh?

Narnia - perceived kiddie-film with a the Christ allegory during the Christmas season inna the country of a Christians with a the renewed sense of a the vigor, eh?

Kong - PG-13, scary natives with politically incorrect undertones, implied bestiality, anna remake of a my film to boot, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby jgraphix on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:33 am

Just saw Munich this weekend and thought it was great.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:59 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Narnia - perceived kiddie-film with a the Christ allegory during the Christmas season inna the country of a Christians with a the renewed sense of a the vigor, eh?

Since I am in the minority of my generation (I have not read any of the Narnia books) I had no idea about the Christian elements to the story until I read some things about the movie. The trailers don't convey this aspect of the story at all. So is this Christian appeal merely based on people who have read the stories and word of mouth?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:51 pm

I would a say it's a the both, no? Prolly more word of a the mouth these a days inna the States, though... I donna think anybody actually reads inna that country anymore, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News