The Official Box Office Thread

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby jgraphix on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:32 pm

Just goes to show...stupid general population.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:32 pm

The Vicar wrote:In the category of WTF:

After three weeks out, we have this -

Cheaper by the Dozen2, 66.4 mil

Rumor Has It, 35.3 mil

Munich, 25.2 mil

It tells you a bit of what's wrong with the world when Cheaper by the Dozen2 is smoking Munich's ass in BO take. I realise that Munich is likely on less screens, but damn. It looks brutual on paper. ( or screen)

ya - it's just like you said - munich started off in only a couple of theatres - has been gradually increasing over the last couple of weeks - i think it actually had one of the best per theatre averages though (just behind Brokeback) out of all films in the top 10/20 - either way - cheaper will be done very soon - and i believe munich will keep going for a little while - i don't think it even goes wide for a few weeks yet...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:57 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
The Vicar wrote:In the category of WTF:

After three weeks out, we have this -

Cheaper by the Dozen2, 66.4 mil

Rumor Has It, 35.3 mil

Munich, 25.2 mil

It tells you a bit of what's wrong with the world when Cheaper by the Dozen2 is smoking Munich's ass in BO take. I realise that Munich is likely on less screens, but damn. It looks brutual on paper. ( or screen)

ya - it's just like you said - munich started off in only a couple of theatres - has been gradually increasing over the last couple of weeks - i think it actually had one of the best per theatre averages though (just behind Brokeback) out of all films in the top 10/20 - either way - cheaper will be done very soon - and i believe munich will keep going for a little while - i don't think it even goes wide for a few weeks yet...

Surprised Cheaper has lasted this long - but I hope you are right. I thought Munich was up there with Speilberg's best, and that ain't too shabby....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Somehow Munich to me doesn't fit with the "end of the year winding down holiday season" release. Same thing Hostel and Wolf Creek. Where are good/decent horror movies in October when I really want to see them??
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Somehow Munich to me doesn't fit with the "end of the year winding down holiday season" release. Same thing Hostel and Wolf Creek. Where are good/decent horror movies in October when I really want to see them??

Yeah, that's just plain old piss lousy planning. Somehow "Munich" just doesn't scream Christmas entertainment to me either. Or Hannukah. Or Kwaanza. Dealers choice...
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:32 pm

so - another new weekend is upon us - and apparentely for you americans it's the MLK weekend - so there's one extra day added (is it monday - i bet it's monday) - 4 new movies opening:
1) Glory Road (aka - Remember the Night Lights of Coach Carter)
2) Last Holiday (Queen Latifah takes over for Alec Guiness in this remake of the 1950's film)
3) Hoodwinked (CGI animated film with anne Hathaway - this is the one she shows her tits in right...?)
4) Tristan and Isolde (because - apparentely - before romeo and juliet - there was this dude Tristan, and some girl whose name he can't pronounce)

plus there's still Hostel - without much competition - but horror movies do usually drop quite a bit in their 2nd session (like me during sex)
and narnia and kong (2 small independent films that will hopefully FINALLY find an audience)...

read more about it here

so whaddya guys think?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:40 pm

I think it will be:
1. Narnia
2. Kong
3. Hostel

I just don't see any of the four films coming out getting big draws. Shit, I haven't even seen a trailer for hoodwinked.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby BobGobbler on Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Looks like a bunch of crap.

Don't forget that Brokeback Mountain continues to expand, and should be a factor.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby buster00 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:33 am

I'll carve my weekend prediction here, influenced by BO Mojo's Friday estimate:

1. Glory Road
2. Hostel (I think it'll be close)
3. Last Holiday

(posted late Saturday night local time, whatever GMT leads you to believe)
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:15 pm

here's the estimate for the weekend

and here's the basic story behind it
Last edited by havocSchultz on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby filmgeek88 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:16 pm

ya eh... I can see Glory Road being number one. I'm kinda psyched for that one
Yeehaw
filmgeek88
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:17 pm

Munich don't seem to be getting much of an audience. I know I'm beginning to ignore BO results and awards and stuff, so I won't let any of that shit influence my expectations.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby filmgeek88 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:22 pm

Ya eh. Munich has been getting a lot of attention in the magazines though. Did any of you read that article in Macleans? Ya that kind of annoyed me a bit. Personally I loved Munich.
Yeehaw
filmgeek88
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:54 pm

Nah, didn't read it. What was it about?

Also Munich's on about 1700 theatres. Does it expand more? I think not. As small an audience as Spielberg was expecting, I don't think he wanted his film to fail to profit, which unless this film holds on extreeemely well, I dunno if it will profit or not. $70 million is far away right now.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby buster00 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:34 am

Wow...I thought Hostel was getting good enough word of mouth to keep it afloat longer. Guess not?

And where did Hoodwinked come from? I can't be the only one who completely underestimated that one's appeal.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:32 am

buster00 wrote:Wow...I thought Hostel was getting good enough word of mouth to keep it afloat longer. Guess not?

And where did Hoodwinked come from? I can't be the only one who completely underestimated that one's appeal.

Hostel's performing like most other horror movies perform - majority of the fans go see it the first weekend - so it does suffer a pretty big drop in the sophmore frame - noyhing really too unusual - for a film that was made for like only 4.5 mill from what i recall - or something like that - it's already made a nice profit...

hoodwinked actually looks kinda funny - in some parts - and for some reason kids seem to love anne hathaway - both princess diaries were big - and i think ella enchanted did not too bad - odd - i wonder if it's the couple of reasons why internet geeks love her... :oops:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:55 pm

Hoodwinked = borderline quality dog food.

If my five year old daughter hadn't wanted to see it, I never would have. There are better things to do with 90 minutes....glueing toe nail clippings onto your neighbors door knob, or performing plastic surgery on your girlfriends cat using only a soldering iron & rubber cement.... Another weak attempt to cop from Shrek & Nemo.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 am

Oh BTW, there was a pretty full house when my daughter forced me, sober & wide awake ( and that aint right) to see HOODWINKED. It may track surprising ly well, although I live in an area with a high amount of morons, rubes, boobs, hicks & yokels, so just because there were a fairly large number of chuckleheads at the showing I saw, maybe no one else is going.

Yeah, Sure. Watch Hoodwinked break the top three.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 am

And this morning, guess who came in first in the BO sweepstakes? Hoodwinked, with about 16mill. Wuff.
The Vicar

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:52 am

The Vicar wrote:And this morning, guess who came in first in the BO sweepstakes? Hoodwinked, with about 16mill. Wuff.

I was surprised to see that myself, considering that I've never heard of Hoodwinked.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:43 am

Hoodwinked kinda came out of nowhere - when friday night's numbers were in - it looked like it would only get maybe 3rd or 4th place - at the most - then it suddenly had a huge increase on saturday and sunday and put up a great fight for first - and it made it - barely...

for a more in depth rundown of the weekend numbers.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:20 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Hoodwinked kinda came out of nowhere - when friday night's numbers were in - it looked like it would only get maybe 3rd or 4th place - at the most - then it suddenly had a huge increase on saturday and sunday and put up a great fight for first - and it made it - barely...

for a more in depth rundown of the weekend numbers.

Makes sense - Saturday & Sunday are when most of us parent-types drag the younglings out. Sometimes it seems like an interminable wait to find something the five year old can see...and almost all of the family groups I saw were piling into Hoodwinked ( I was actively trying to get people going to see Cheaper by the Dozen to go into a different theatre...ANY theatre ( well, except Hostel. Kinda low on the family viewing radar, that one).
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:25 pm

once again - another weekend is upon us - only real major opening this weekend is Underworld:Evolution - otherwise there is one or two no names - and a bunch of expansion...

read here for more info...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:49 pm

just a quick saturday update for you...

looks like Underworld:Evolution is gonna have quite a good weekend - probably mid-twenties or so...

i'm probably heading to see it tonight with the girlfriend - so we'll see... and i'll let ya all know... cause i'm sure you care....

oh fuck off...

j/k...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Weekend estimates are in.

Underworld was the big movie this week, of course. Hoodwinked is holding on strong. Brokeback Mountain is posting gains and is already a sleeper hit. If it gets Oscar noms, it could pass $80 million. It could pass $100 million if it wins.

What I find interesting is how fast Rent and The Producers fell. Are people tired of musicals, or just mediocre ones? Moulin Rouge, Chicago, and The Phantom of the Opera all did okay or better, but Rent and The Producers pretty much bombed. Too bad, because I can enjoy a good musical every now and then.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:18 pm

ok - another weekend upon us...

for wide releases we have:

Big Momma's House 2 (aka - My Career is Still in the Shitter 2)

Annapolis (aka - Crapapolis)

and Nanny McPhee (aka - Mary Poppins: Now 100% Uglier)...

read here for more information...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:23 pm

Don't worry Havoc, at least you know there's somebody out there who cares :)...

not sure who though, because I sure don't give a fuck about your weekly box office updates ;)
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:24 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Don't worry Havoc, at least you know there's somebody out there who cares :)...

not sure who though, because I sure don't give a fuck about your weekly box office updates ;)

b4nn3d...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:25 pm

well - for the one or two people that might care - and to all the ones who don't - big Momma's House 2 looks to make #1 this weekend with about 28 million.....uggghhh....

check out the estimate here...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 pm

Mrrm. Partly because January is a wasteland, partly because Big Momma's House was an inexplicable success.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:Mrrm. Partly because January is a wasteland, partly because Big Momma's House was an inexplicable success.

Or it could just be the End Times

Muah hahahaha
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby buster00 on Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:11 pm

Jeez, $28 mil for Big Momma even. My money was on Nanny McPhee to coast to first this week. She got stomped on!

Nobody wants to pay money to see a recruitment film; Annapolis' opening was predictable.

Didn't Hoodwinked cost a mere $15-20 million to make? That's quite a nice total the Weinsteins are starting to accumulate. I don't personally know anyone who's seen it yet.

Wow, in SIX WEEKS, The New World couldn't even raise $8 MILLION? And it cost $30 mill? Yikes...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:39 pm

Annapolis is a bald-faced rip-off of An Officer & A Gentleman...without Debra Winger ( me want) or Lou Gossett Jr. Stuff Annapolis.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:56 pm

The Vicar wrote:Annapolis is a bald-faced rip-off of An Officer & A Gentleman...without Debra Winger ( me want) or Lou Gossett Jr. Stuff Annapolis.

and - it also doesn't have a catchy love song... besides - james franco and tyrese are no gere and gossett jr... and bad as an Officer... was - annapolis makes it look oscar worthy...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:04 am

okay - another weekend is upon us - with the superbowl this weekend - not much for new wide releases - most notably:
When A Stranger Slightly Annoys you... or something like that...

here ya go
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:40 pm

so - the top 10 weekend estimate is in.... surprise surprise - another crappy pg-13 horror remake opened at number one... who would've thunk that would happen...

check out the basic estimate here
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:28 am

okay - sorry i'm a day late on this - i know how worried and distraught all of you were - but this weekend might be a little more interesting...

will harrison ford reclaim his #1 status at the box office again after more than 5 and a half years away from it... well - could be - Firewall opens this weekend - and while it does not look like a comeback movie for him (yet) it does look more "cropwd-pleasing" than Hollywood Homicide and K-19...

also opening this weekend is the (Wretched(?)) Pink Panther remake - after an extremely long delay, Curious George is there as well - and - of course - Death cuts it's vacation short again and delivers Final Destination 3...

click your thingy HERE to read all about it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:42 am

soooo - harrison ford' return to theatres was pretty much the same as the last 2 movies he released in theatres - meh...
he got his box office ass kicked by steve martin doing his best impression of somebody trying to make peter sellers roll over in his grave, a bunch of no-names being killed in fun elaborate ways, and a curious little monkey who gets dragged from the jungle to modern civilization who not once masturbates or tosses feces at people...

check it out HERE
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:01 am

havocSchultz wrote:soooo - harrison ford' return to theatres was pretty much the same as the last 2 movies he released in theatres - meh...
he got his box office ass kicked by steve martin doing his best impression of somebody trying to make peter sellers roll over in his grave, a bunch of no-names being killed in fun elaborate ways, and a curious little monkey who gets dragged from the jungle to modern civilization who not once masturbates or tosses feces at people...

check it out HERE

Thanks for the update, Havoc...fucking Pink Panther...I did not want to believe this would finish #1....

I'll pick up Curious George's slack. If I go see Pink Panther, I promise to masturbate at Beyonce, then toss feces at the screen.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:58 am

ok... another weekend upon us - took a couple of weekends off - wasn't much happening - except last week's surprise(?) #1 film Madea's Family Reunion - with just over 30 mill... not too much of a surprise seeing as how a year ago Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman surprised everyone at #1..and this was just more of that... but enough of living in the past... the weekend we've all been waiting - a weekend - that takes place in a world you won't understand - the weekend of UltraViolet is upon us... Kurt Wimmer's folow-up to Equilibrium and Milla's follow-up to some meh "zombie" flicks...

but - there is some competition to be had... Bruno returns to theatres as well with a pg-13 action thriller - 16 blocks - co-starring Mos Def and directed by richard donner...

dave chappelle's block party - should interest the fans of chappelle to see something new by him...

and the teen mermaid comedy Aquaf@... i mean Aquamarine...

check here for further info...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 pm

So do you think ultraviolet will be no. 1?....

It's a tough call. I think 16 blocks will not do that great, and Chapelle is only on 1000 screens.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 pm

jgraphix wrote:So do you think ultraviolet will be no. 1?....

It's a tough call. I think 16 blocks will not do that great, and Chapelle is only on 1000 screens.

i think 16 blocks might edge out the victory - but you never know -if enough younglins decide to check out ultraviolet - like with underworld sequel and what-not - could be a tough race... you never know...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:58 pm

I have to believe that Ultraviolet will show up at #1...teens will go see just about anything these days...and I believe most of them will be pleasantly surprised since they probably have never seen equilibrium...but I don't think 16 blocks stands a chance at getting to #1.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:14 am

sooo....bit of a surprise this weekend - and not just that hardly anybody went to the theatres - but also for the fact that Madea's Family Reunion held onto #1... even though it dropped almost 60% it's 2nd weekend... 16 blocks limped into 2nd...and the majority of other new releases seemed to forget that they actually got released this weekend...

Weekend Box Office Results
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 am

You're telling me...what a lame weekend at the BO...but this weekend we have The Hills Have Eyes...Shaggy Dog....and Failure to Launch all opening up in 2,500+ theatres...

I am hoping THe Hills Have Eyes gets the top spot, but Failure to Launch might take it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:32 am

Leckomaniac wrote:You're telling me...what a lame weekend at the BO...but this weekend we have The Hills Have Eyes...Shaggy Dog....and Failure to Launch all opening up in 2,500+ theatres...

I am hoping THe Hills Have Eyes gets the top spot, but Failure to Launch might take it.

ya - hopefully Hills continues the successful horror film trend of late...and with what i've been hearing/reading - this is actually a really great horror film - so that would be even better... i mean if the fucking Fog could open at #1 when it was released - then Hills should at least do that...but i don't know about a horro film at this time of year - we've had a bunch...but you never know... the way things have been going - i wouldn't be surprised if the fucking Shaggy Dog pulled it off...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:41 am

I hear that...I mean if Madea's Family Reunion can get two weeks...anything can happen.

I really hope fans come out to support The Hills Have Eyes...I mean people bitch about no hard R horror movies anymore...and all signs point to this being just that. If it got #1 then maybe studios will stop shying away from the R.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:43 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I hear that...I mean if Madea's Family Reunion can get two weeks...anything can happen.

I really hope fans come out to support The Hills Have Eyes...I mean people bitch about no hard R horror movies anymore...and all signs point to this being just that. If it got #1 then maybe studios will stop shying away from the R.

damn straight...damn fucking straight on that...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:52 pm

Madea's Family Reunion ??
Slow weekend at the Box Office, to be certain.
I've not heard one good, or even positive review of MFR.
It pulled in, what, 13 mill?
Weak.
Even weaker?
Bruce Willis's latest falling to MFR.
Ouch.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:53 pm

The Hills Have Eyes should easily put an end to MFR's stay at the top of the Box Office.
At least, it better.
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News