The Official Box Office Thread

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:21 pm

BobGobbler wrote:Nobody is going to flock to see a monkey fall in love with a chick, and Adrien Brody is not Leonardo DiCaprio. This movie will struggle to make back the ridiculous budget.

My prediction it $100+ mil this weekend, $300 mil domestic. It's not gonna be Titanic, but it will be HUGE. Plus, it'll be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. Add in video, this sucker's a sure bet.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:24 pm

I just think you don't have a huge audience because it's not one of those "franchise" dealies (unless you count Son of Kong...) and because normal people don't generally go to see movies on Wednesdays. Wait until the weekend, and consider the fact that it has little in the way of niche competition. It may underperform a little, but I don't think it will be a box office failure by any means.
Last edited by Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:27 pm

It's a pre-sold property. Everyone KNOWS King Kong, even if they've never seen a King Kong movie. Add in the whole "from the director of LOTR" aspect, and people will be there in droves.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:28 pm

Cineister Jim wrote:Monday will be a better sign...this could work like Titanic did, bulding an audience over several months, getting older people into the theater...or hell, it could flop hard!

I don't think it will, flop, but then nobody knows anything and even if it does, at least the film got made. Word of mouth should kick ass after opening weekend. Either way, no matter how bad a good movie bombs, you can't erase it from existance.

I won't be saddened if Son of Kong doesn't get greenlit.
Last edited by Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby BobGobbler on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:28 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
BobGobbler wrote:Nobody is going to flock to see a monkey fall in love with a chick, and Adrien Brody is not Leonardo DiCaprio. This movie will struggle to make back the ridiculous budget.

My prediction it $100+ mil this weekend, $300 mil domestic. It's not gonna be Titanic, but it will be HUGE. Plus, it'll be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. Add in video, this sucker's a sure bet.

I'm curious how this movie is going to make 90 million in 4 days when it has only made 10 million on the first day. It's also important to note that Narnia made 4 million on a non-release weekday. Narnia is going to take a lot from Kong.

Peter Jackson is looking at about 150 million domestic. The studio will make money once overseas and DVDs come in, but not much. You won't see Peter Jackson get a blank check to make 3 hours of whatever crap he wants any longer.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby BobGobbler on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:31 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:IMDB says Kong will make $75million over the five day weekend, Drudge says the studio's predicting $110m. Any guesses? I'm leaning closer towards the later.

There is already a thread about this, but Wednesday numbers do not look good for Kong. Less than 10 million with Narnia taking 4 million. It will be a struggle for Kong to get to 75.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:31 pm

BobGobbler wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

I'm curious how this movie is going to make 90 million in 4 days when it has only made 10 million on the first day. It's also important to note that Narnia made 4 million on a non-release weekday. Narnia is going to take a lot from Kong.

Peter Jackson is looking at about 150 million domestic. The studio will make money once overseas and DVDs come in, but not much. You won't see Peter Jackson get a blank check to make 3 hours of whatever crap he wants any longer.

yes - this coming from a guy who's signature is "peter jackson's over-rated..." i can smell the un-biasedness of your prediction... it might not make $100 this weekend - but it sure will pick up steam going into the weekend - at least 50 or 60 - and then - hopefully - a small drop off next weekend - and yes - narnai will cut into kong's initial weekend - the LOTR films didn't have something the size of narnia opening only a few days before it... but - alas... only time will tell... but $150 mill only - um - yeah - that's almost as absurd as some of us lovers' over-predictions...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:32 pm

BobGobbler wrote:I'm curious how this movie is going to make 90 million in 4 days when it has only made 10 million on the first day. It's also important to note that Narnia made 4 million on a non-release weekday. Narnia is going to take a lot from Kong.

Thursdays and Fridays are date nights. Thursday will be bigger than Wednesday, Friday will be bigger than Thursday. Then you've got two full weekend days with an assload of screenings running all day. $90 million more will happen.

And Narnia might do some decent business, but it's mainly going to be the fallback movie. This weekend has been all about Kong for some time now.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:37 pm

On top of all of this wait until kids get of school for Christmas break here in the states it's going to start slow but kids + word of mouth is going to give it legs.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BobGobbler on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:40 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
BobGobbler wrote:I'm curious how this movie is going to make 90 million in 4 days when it has only made 10 million on the first day. It's also important to note that Narnia made 4 million on a non-release weekday. Narnia is going to take a lot from Kong.

Thursdays and Fridays are date nights. Thursday will be bigger than Wednesday, Friday will be bigger than Thursday. Then you've got two full weekend days with an assload of screenings running all day. $90 million more will happen.

And Narnia might do some decent business, but it's mainly going to be the fallback movie. This weekend has been all about Kong for some time now.

It's great that you love the movie and want it to do well, but the actual numbers that we have just don't show the sort of thing you are talking about. Narnia made nearly half of the box-office gross of Kong on Kong's release day! It is obviously going to be a HUGE factor in Kong's performance.

You are counting on hoardes of girls to come out to watch this movie. It just isn't going to happen. Girls aren't stupid, they aren't going to fall for this see-through Kong=Titanic advertising scam. There is a cookie-cutter date movie set to release on Friday anyways.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cineister Jim on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:40 pm

It's unlikely, but the weekend could boost quite a bit. I expect at least 15 million on friday, 20 million Sat., maybe 15-20 million on sunday...I think it could reasonably pull in around the 70 million range...just slightly below Universals own projection, plus you have the impending holiday weekends, when lot's of folks have time off from work.

I agree it's a shared box office with Narnia, that could, possibly mean a longer stay in theaters, or one victor and one loser...it's all a roll of the dice.
J.W. Grant: You bastard.

Rico: Yes sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, you're a self-made man.
Cineister Jim
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Bob, we'll have to see. If it performs below expectations, I'll be the first to admit it. (I did so rather openly with Serenity.)

That said, I'm not predicting success because I'm a fan of the film--which I am--I'm saying it because it's King fucking Kong and everyone I've spoken to--male and female alike--have said they're super pumped to see it. It's been made into the media event of the season, THE biggest movie you NEED to see. The fact that critics are raving and that audiences are buzzing means only goodness.

If you're not a Peter Jackson fan, that's cool, but don't fool yourself into thinking he's going to lose his Get Out of Jail Free pass because of this movie. It just ain't gonna happen.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:55 pm

I went to jail because of a movie. But that's a different story....
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Conroy420 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 pm

This film will make loads of money this weekend.

Remember, Lord of the Rings had a huge following tha bootsed ticket sales. As each film came out, the following grew and grew.

Sure Kong is going to be huge, but it doesn't have a fan base like LOTR did. The people that wen to see it on Wednesday were big Peter Jackson fans or diehard event movie goers.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:21 pm

In the long run, it certainly won't be a flop and will make money, hwoever, I don't think, when everything is done and dusted, it will be one of the top grossers of all time by any means...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:18 pm

I think a 3 hour movie that can make ten million dollars on a non-holiday Wednesday is not a bad sign for a movie. What other 3 hour movies have made that much on a Wednesday that wasn't Christmas?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby MelaWolf on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 pm

Well, all the LOTR films opened with at least twice that. However, they had a much larger bult-in fan base, and being part of a series helped.
You think you really know what's happening here, don't you? Well, I'll tell you something, you don't know shit, buddy.
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:30 pm

MelaWolf wrote:Well, all the LOTR films opened with at least twice that. However, they had a much larger bult-in fan base, and being part of a series helped.

true, after checking bomojo, the lotr films are the only movies with a comparable running time that opened better than Kong. To be honest, I can't feel sorry for Kong if it will have a boxoffice fate similar to those films.

Only one movie in the history of the box office opened better than Kong that actually ran longer than Kong: ROTK.

There was a headline on Drudge yesterday that said Pokemon opened to a better first day than Kong. Yeah, well that movie was half as long and bottomed out before 90million.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:45 pm

If word of mouth doesn't elevate Kong to where it deserves to be, then the viewing public has earned the stinkers, bilge & kark that has been passed off on them recently as "film". Master film-makers should be encouraged, nutured & supported; otherwise, it's Uwe Boll directing Casablanca, & I'm pretty sure no one here wants that. Also, I've heard some whining about how Jackson changed this or that - he wasn't remaking the original, shot for shot. This is what Kong inspired in him when he first saw it, & I think he has earned the right to use his own vision instead of a purlioned one. It certainly worked. I for one will wait to see how the weekend gross shakes down - then we'll have the rectal temp of this little project. Me, I'm pulling for the big ape.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:49 pm

I never understood the concept of a shot for shot remake.....What is the point then? Though of course anti-remake folks would argue what is the point of any remake?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MelaWolf on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:50 pm

The Vicar wrote: otherwise, it's Uwe Boll directing Casablanca

:shock:

the horror...the horror...
You think you really know what's happening here, don't you? Well, I'll tell you something, you don't know shit, buddy.
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:55 pm

MelaWolf wrote:

Sorry, dude. Wanted to drive the point home. I should have shown a little more sensitivity. Ti absolvo...
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I never understood the concept of a shot for shot remake.....What is the point then? Though of course anti-remake folks would argue what is the point of any remake?

Yeah, the Pscho remake made me scratch my head. If I'm going to watch the (more or less) exact same thing, then I want to see Janet Leigh & Tony Perkins, not some posers pretending to be them.

I can see the point of some remakes, though, & Kong is a perfect example of that. The improvements in the film industry, technology & all that jazz can certainly help something that was made in the 1930s. I have nothing but love for Willia O'Brien & Cooper, & am able to put their acheivement in historical perspective & enjoy the crap out of the original Kong - but what PJ has done is not the original Kong; its an original Kong. SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

I was genuinely afraid for Kong as he approached the Empire State Building, because I knew what was coming. His finish on top of the world was heartbreaking...I cried for the big lug, & I didn't have that sort of connection in the 30s Kong. When you do it as PJ has, a remake can be a beautiful thing, not a hack-fest of corpse robbing.
The Vicar

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:02 pm

It pissed me off that in just about every interview clip I saw with a cast member, the interviewer was declaring that this would be the biggest movie of all time. I kind of got this inkling as Wednesday d r e w closer, that nothing could live up to that hype. So this doesn't surprise me. After looking at the latest numbers, here's what strikes me:

1) So far it's in the range of underperformance, but not yet at unprofitability.

2) I heard 'word of mouth' being thrown around when both Batman Begins and Serenity had lackluster opening weekends. "Word of mouth will be the savior", goes the prayer...and it wasn't. Not for its box office draw. It's DVD sales now that are most affected by positive word of mouth. Besides, box office take is only what 10% of a movie's total profit anyway.

I would be very surprised if this movie doesn't make its money back, but I'd also be surprised if it's second weekend doesn't have the usual 60% drop off for blockbusters, and it ultimately earns under 300 mil domestic.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:06 pm

I think it's second weekend is going to fare much better than that just because of the holiday.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:06 pm

Tou che.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:09 pm

Adam Balm wrote:2) I heard 'word of mouth' being thrown around when both Batman Begins and Serenity had lackluster opening weekends.

BB actually did turn out to have legs, compare it to F4, BB made about $50 million more even though F4 had a bigger opening weekend and stayed in theaters about two weeks longer.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I never understood the concept of a shot for shot remake.....What is the point then? Though of course anti-remake folks would argue what is the point of any remake?

Yeah, the Pscho remake made me scratch my head.

Van Sant's just a big fan of the movie and got to live out his fantasy. If I had been given a chance to remake Psycho almost shot for shot, I wouldn't turn it down.

Here's looking forward to his 2nd remake of Psycho, the punk version.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby HeadlessCrane on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:14 pm

My wife and I saw King Kong on Wednesday evening at 8pm in Seattle, WA at a theater that was close to home but an older theater. It was only about 1/4 to 1/3 full. I figured that everyone went to the newer theaters to watch it, but it looks like it may have just been a slow turnout. I have to admit that as much as I wanted to watch King Kong right away that a 3 hour movie is the entire evening and I wasn't sure I COULD spend my entire evening at the movies. We did and it was SPECTACULAR and HEARTWARMING/BREAKING.

I agree with Harry's review that the only real dissapointment for me was that I wanted it to keep on going. But, during a moment when I ran out to the bathroom, I heard to 18-24 aged guys complaining that the movie was WAY to long and they joked that it was like 8 hours already. This happen to be right after the King Kong vs 3 T-Rex's scene?! WTF?! I stopped and called them both freaks and shook my head and went back into the movie. I am afraid that the 'movie date' only crowd may not get this movie. I feel a little disenchanted about the size of heart that america has if this is the case. This movie is everything we thought Godzilla should have been.

BUT WHO CARES!!! Peter Jackson isn't going to have ANY trouble making whatever movie he wants after this. He made the LOTR movies. Everyone will forgive him if King Kong isn't as huge as they wish... they will fogive him if it duds. He has so much public good will. And he half owns WETA. So, he ain't going anywhere. Truth is... this movie could flop... and no one will say that it is for any other reason than the fact that Peter made the movie... what?! too long? too exciting? too heartfelt? too much his own version of what he wanted? Who gives a shit?! Nobody is going to hold it against Peter that he leveraged LOTR's success to get $207 million to make his dream project. It's the dream of every artist to get a blank check to make your dream project. So what? It'll take him making 3-6 more high budget movies that flop before he loses stature. See all action movie stars for proof of that. One thing about this is... everyone will just respect that even if it fails, Peter made his dream movie, and isn't that what movies are all about? Who can hold that against him? Nobody. He'll be forced to make something safe like the Hobbit to get back on top... oh no!! :P

So, who cares if it bombs!! That just means that us lovers of this kind of movie got a masterpiece that the rest of the movie going audience can't apprectiate. Oh well. So goes the life of the film lover. :)
HeadlessCrane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:18 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:2) I heard 'word of mouth' being thrown around when both Batman Begins and Serenity had lackluster opening weekends.

BB actually did turn out to have legs, compare it to F4, BB made about $50 million more even though F4 had a bigger opening weekend and stayed in theaters about two weeks longer.

This is true. 50 million more both domestic and worldwide. But comparisons were being drawn to Spider-Man and other 'icon' heroes, since Fantastic Four isn't as much of a name, so in that context it could be thought of as a disappointment. But at the same time, it was one of the most sluggish summers for movies in years...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:25 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Van Sant's just a big fan of the movie and got to live out his fantasy. If I had been given a chance to remake Psycho almost shot for shot, I wouldn't turn it down.

Well, I wouldn't berudge him that...at least it wasn't a shot for shot of Police Academy III....

But, if Gus had some much respect for the original, he must have had some idea, here or there, where something could have been different. Why not follow that notion? Even in films I've loved, there are always moments that could be .... different.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:27 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Well, I wouldn't berudge him that...at least it wasn't a shot for shot of Police Academy III....

But, if Gus had some much respect for the original, he must have had some idea, here or there, where something could have been different. Why not follow that notion? Even in films I've loved, there are always moments that could be .... different.

ya - i would've had her survive the shower attack... and then her and bates could've had a romantic fling together... oh wait... i shouldn't be giving this stuff away for free...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:38 pm

Thus havoc Schultz
- i would've had her survive the shower attack... and then her and bates could've had a romantic fling together... oh wait... i shouldn't be giving this stuff away for free...

Hah hah. Too late! I've got my opening for Freddie VS Norman Bates.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:41 pm

The Vicar wrote:Thus havoc Schultz
- i would've had her survive the shower attack... and then her and bates could've had a romantic fling together... oh wait... i shouldn't be giving this stuff away for free...

that's ok - 20 minutes into the opening - fuckin Jason comes out and sticks the machete through all 3... thus - sending a twist into the twist...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:02 pm

havocSchultz wrote:

that's ok - 20 minutes into the opening - fuckin Jason comes out and sticks the machete through all 3... thus - sending a twist into the twist...

Keep going, buddy...I still need a middle & end....
The Vicar

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:27 pm

havocSchultz wrote:ya - i would've had her survive the shower attack... and then her and bates could've had a romantic fling together... oh wait... i shouldn't be giving this stuff away for free...

Me, I would still have her die in the shower but when Norman comes back to clean Mother's mess, maybe when he tosses the rolled up newspaper into her trunk, it unravels and he discovers the $40,000. $400,000 in the remake.

What a tweeesst?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:43 pm

The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Keep going, buddy...I still need a middle & end....

well - jason finds mother in the basement - he takes her on a road trip with him were they kill anyone and everyone (a la natural born killers) - but instead of horror - it's more of a coming of age road trip movie - jason gets attached to mother cause she reminds him of his own crazy mom - then after a steamy - 20 minute sex scene - freddy and norman show up together - recently married - and molded into one superfreak person and they have a big 3 way showdown - were everybody dies and anne heche shows up and demands her check cause she was once involved in a horrific relationship (ie: 6 days, 7 nights) - then when nobody responds - she kills herself in the shower when she she accidently gets hung by her soap on the rope... thus bringing everything full circle cause the girl really did die in the shower... and then some swarmy used car salesman finds the money in the trunk and decides to use it to fund a complete shot-forshot remake of this thread...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:01 pm

okay - I can work with that.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:08 pm

The Vicar wrote:okay - I can work with that.

ya - well - i work out... so it was no problem...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:19 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

I heard that in this version Norman Bates wanders around the Bates Motel mumbling to himself for two hours before finally offing himself.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:20 pm

MelaWolf wrote:

I didn't know there was a videogame called Casablanca...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby BobGobbler on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Any updates yet?

Box Office Mojo says the first day often accounts for 25-50% of the weekend take for a movie, but even I don't think Kong will be below 40 million for the weekend.

It looks like it will be 60 million for Kong this weekend, and the normal drop-off will be expected.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby xantheman on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:38 pm

I work in a cinema and kong being 3hrs 7mins. with 20 mins. ads and trailers means you just can't have as many showings in a day. Also, this season has seen three big films one after the other. Potter, Narnia then Kong. Three family films(although Kong is scary!) One after the other. Some parents might say to their kids "You can just watch one". Kids will either say Potter or the first one on. However, I think in long run Narnia(a solid kids film) and Kong(just amazing) will stay in the memory longer.
xantheman
GLIB

Postby freak2thec0re on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:38 pm

I wonder if they realize how many films come out every year that look amazing on paper, but turn out to be hug flops (Alexander, anyone?)

And the same goes the opposite way. I mean, if this became the standard, wouldn't it all but kill independent filmmaking?
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:41 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
MelaWolf wrote:

Ah, you've seen Mr. Boll's work. Picture Casblanca ala House of the Dead ( I think that was the turdlet I accidentily viddied a couple of weeks ago - with Jurgen Prochnow?). Then weep. Who keeps giving this clown money to make "movies" with? Oy.
The Vicar

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:46 pm

I can't imagine it will be a flop given the glowing reviews. And I'm definately planning to see it at sometime this weekend, probably like most people.

Still, I attribute the arguably low box office to the fact that:

1. Most people just aren't that into KONG. the average opinion seems to be, yeah it looks cool, but i've already seen the same story twice (3 times if you count Mighty Joe Young). Also, everyone has already seen Jurrasic Park parts 1-3. Basically the whole concept is overdone and people outside of geekdom just aren't that excited about it.

2. OVER 3 hours long? Why? Seriously I just think thats crazy. Yeah, the LOTR movies were long, but there was so much stuff going on in those films, the scope was so big, it would have been just nigh impossible to do it under less than this long. But KONG? that's a premise that's got 2 hours tops written all over it. A really solid, tight, exciting, and sad 2 hours.

Still, I don't think anybody has anything to worry about. I don't think its going to be the greatest blockbuster of all times, but it is going to make great big fistfulls of cash...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:46 pm

The Vicar wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
MelaWolf wrote:

Ah, you've seen Mr. Boll's work. Picture Casblanca ala House of the Dead ( I think that was the turdlet I accidentily viddied a couple of weeks ago - with Jurgen Prochnow?). Then weep. Who keeps giving this clown money to make "movies" with? Oy.

I would love Uwe to remake Casblanca because it would be hilarious.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:56 pm

In that case, let's turn him loose on To Kill a Mockingbird, or Doctor Strangelove, or The Greatest Story Ever Told. ( comes to his senses) WHAT HAVE I DONE???? KKKKKHHHHAAAANNNN!

( two vicodeines & a Jack's later)

Never mind.
The Vicar

Postby HeadlessCrane on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:22 pm

25-50% is when the film opens on a friday for a 3 day weekend only. If they had waited a week to open after most schools have let out then it would be a bigger opening day;however, I don't think this movie's success is going to depend on what it makes coming out of the gate. I think that a majority of movie goers are planning to see King Kong but not neccessarily TODAY, if you know what I mean. Besides, a $10 million opening day for a 5 day opening weekend is still very strong. It may not be as strong as LOTR's opening days, but, again, LOTR had both a 3 generation rabid fan base and school was out for winter break.
HeadlessCrane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:33 pm

Actually that 25-50% figure, at least according to Boxofficemojo, is for Wednesday openings (Wednesday launch of a hyped event picture, in their words).
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News