Clerks 3

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Clerks 3

Postby Cineister Jim on Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:12 am

Thought everyone might be interested in the latest video for Clerks 2.

Check it out...

http://clerks2.com/?p=48
J.W. Grant: You bastard.

Rico: Yes sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, you're a self-made man.
Cineister Jim
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby cinephile2000 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:51 am

What I would have given to be a fly on that wall.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby smatterkitty on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Nothing will sway me from my feeling that this movie is going to be terrible. I'm fearing it like the plague. The first Clerks was so genius because it had no idea what it wanted to be. I scares the the hell out of to hear Kevin Smith talk about a narrative arch and "making it a movie."

Kevin Smith was more fun when he didn't take himself so seriously.
I'm hungry, let's get some of that F-ing Freeench Toast!
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby BobGobbler on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:54 pm

smatterkitty wrote:Kevin Smith was more fun when he didn't take himself so seriously.

Replace "Kevin Smith" with "Peter Jackson" and that sentence works even better.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:35 pm

|Kevin smith needs to branchout.

Tarantino is tarantino, and he is good, but it seems to me he's full of himself

Rodreguez is one of my all time favorite directors.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:03 am

BobGobbler wrote:
smatterkitty wrote:Kevin Smith was more fun when he didn't take himself so seriously.

Random hate. Gotta love it.

How about we put in George Lucas? Spielberg?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:42 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
BobGobbler wrote:

Godard? McCartney? Bono?

just who gets "more fun" when they start taking themselves more seriously anyway?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:18 am

I was much more fun before I started taking you guys too seriously.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby BobGobbler on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:31 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
BobGobbler wrote:

George Lucas is a great example. Spielberg? I'm not so sure. Does anyone that makes Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, and War of the Worlds <i>really</i> take themselves too seriously?
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:36 am

That clip should be called "Tarantino and Rodriguez Like My Movie So You Should Too!"

Personally, I dont care what the Clerks are doing in 2005. Not interested in it.

As far as QT being full of himself, from what Ive heard hes a really cool guy who treats everyone fairly. Look at the clip with Smith. If QT was full of himself do you think he'd waste his time watching a Smith film and giving his opinion? Just ask Harry, Mori and everyone who attends his QT Fests if hes an asshead. I like QTs films much more than RR's. RR hasnt made any one film that I really love. He may be good with the digital film/greenscreen stuff, but QT has made 4 of my favorite films.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby smatterkitty on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:24 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:That clip should be called "Tarantino and Rodriguez Like My Movie So You Should Too!"

Personally, I dont care what the Clerks are doing in 2005. Not interested in it.

As far as QT being full of himself, from what Ive heard hes a really cool guy who treats everyone fairly. Look at the clip with Smith. If QT was full of himself do you think he'd waste his time watching a Smith film and giving his opinion? Just ask Grande Rojo, Mori and everyone who attends his QT Fests if hes an asshead. I like QTs films much more than RR's. RR hasnt made any one film that I really love. He may be good with the digital film/greenscreen stuff, but QT has made 4 of my favorite films.

I agree with the "Tarantino and Rodriguez quote..." I kind of see that video as a clever marketing ploy, because it gives some instant credibility without it looking like marketing.

I don't think Tarantino takes himself to seriously, I think he's become a pardody of himself and really nothing more than an oversized 14 year old, with a pre-occupation for ninja's and swear words. Which is fine and his movies are fun, but I have a hard time buying into the near religious devotion some of his fans have for him.

I just watched that clip again and Rodriguez looks like he really hates the movie but can't say it. His "yeah, I think it's great..." quote seemed about as genuine to me as a stripper saying "no I really do think your cute."

more random hate (I love that, it should be it's own thread, although "irrational hatred" maybe better, because there really is not explanation for it)...
George Lucus (just lately though)

George Cloney (I just heard an interview with him on NPR talking politics and it started to drive me crazy, although I loved "Good Night and Good Luck")

P-Diddy (is that what he's going by now)
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:24 pm

smatterkitty wrote:
I don't think Tarantino takes himself to seriously, I think he's become a pardody of himself and really nothing more than an oversized 14 year old, with a pre-occupation for ninja's and swear words. Which is fine and his movies are fun, but I have a hard time buying into the near religious devotion some of his fans have for him.

I just watched that clip again and Rodriguez looks like he really hates the movie but can't say it. His "yeah, I think it's great..." quote seemed about as genuine to me as a stripper saying "no I really do think your cute."

I think QT has always been QT. Hes just a movie geek thats got his chance to make movies he wants to see and hes really a master at making them. QT came along when I was looking for something new in cinema and his films have always made a big impression on me, so yes, I'm a big fan of his and I continue to enjoy his films and I like seeing him try new genres. I dont think QT can be placed into a single "ninjas and swear words" category, thats pretty dismissive of all the ideas that go into all his films. Hes much more than that.

As far as Kevin Smith, I dont hate the guy, I just dont happen to be one of his Smith-ites. If his fans want to go see Clerks 2, more power to them. I just dont really care about it.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:26 pm

Well I'll give it a shot cause it's got Rosario in it...mmm.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:40 pm

This might sound weird, but I kinda feel sorry for Smith...

He just seems nervous and anxious; a chain-smoking mess, really. If this movie flops, that's pretty much it for him isn't it? It must be stressful as all hell...

I'll rent it on DVD when it comes out...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby smatterkitty on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:25 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:This might sound weird, but I kinda feel sorry for Smith...

He just seems nervous and anxious; a chain-smoking mess, really. If this movie flops, that's pretty much it for him isn't it? It must be stressful as all hell...

I'll rent it on DVD when it comes out...

Yeah, I agree. I read something about how "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" was going to be his last movie like that because he needed to move past that.

And moving past that was "Jersey Girl", ouch...

I feel like he had to go do "Clerks 2" to regain his credibility.

I think if this one fails, it's probably over for him. But to his credit he made two brilliant movies "Clerks" and "Mallrats" which is more than most people, including myself, ever will.
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Shane on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:37 pm

In order for him to revive he needs to step out of his comfort zone, and try new stuff. I agree with alot of you.

Try Drama, Action, True Crime, anything he has not done yet.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:49 pm

I still like his comedy stuff when it's on cable(Except for Jersey Girl) and I still dig Jay and Silent Bob. I'll definitely watch Clerks 2. That said, I do think all 3 directors have been coasting a bit. These days, Tarantino's opinion doesn't sway me or the other. I didn't much like Kill Bill 1 and 2 and Rodriguez' films seem too rushed. I think I only love From Dusk to Dawn from Robert...Sin City was good, but I wouldn't buy the DVD or anything.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:28 pm

I always thought Smith was almost stepping gracefully out of the Jay & Silent Bob world with Chasing Amy - one for in, one foot out, you might say... now I think it's the home base he'll always work around - and if there's room for Carlin, Will Ferrel, Rosario Dawson and the like - it seems more like the view askew universe is a slowly expanding one. In a way Smith is a filmaker under close internet scrutiny like few others, he has pioneered the net as a marketing and communication tool for film directors and producers - I hope Clerks 2 finds some way to rock in an old school, buget, left of field way as much as the first did - and if you never dug that, then I gues your not a fan. I know I'm happy to see more Jay and Silent Bob, and more Dante and Randall - man I'm growing up with these characters
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: The View Askew Universe

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:08 pm

tapehead wrote:I always thought Smith was almost stepping gracefully out of the Jay & Silent Bob world with Chasing Amy - one for in, one foot out, you might say... now I think it's the home base he'll always work around - and if there's room for Carlin, Will Ferrel, Rosario Dawson and the like - it seems more like the view askew universe is a slowly expanding one. In a way Smith is a filmaker under close internet scrutiny like few others, he has pioneered the net as a marketing and communication tool for film directors and producers - I hope Clerks 2 finds some way to rock in an old school, buget, left of field way as much as the first did - and if you never dug that, then I gues your not a fan. I know I'm happy to see more Jay and Silent Bob, and more Dante and Randall - man I'm growing up with these characters

From MTV:
'Clerks 3' And The View Askew Universe Could Thrive On Television, Explains Kevin Smith
Josh Wigler wrote:"Someone asked me on Twitter about 'Clerks 3,' and I said I'd rather live 'Clerks 3' than make 'Clerks 3.' But when somebody asked me, 'What if you do have a Dante and Randal story to tell in your 40s and 50s?' I'll go to TV!" Smith told MTV News during our interview with him earlier this week. "At the end of the day, when I started in film, you couldn't do the things we were doing and saying [on television]. Now, you can."

Smith recalled an old "Clerks" review written by Entertainment Weekly critic Owen Gleiberman: "He said in his review, 'This is what a sitcom is going to look like in 10 years.' And I said, nah. But he was right, kind of."

"He hit the target," Smith continued. "Sitcoms got way more loose and a lot more like 'Clerks,' not that they were copying it, but once you push the door a little bit, motherf---ers will push it further. Richard Linklater opened the door this much, and I kept barging my way in. If you're lucky in this lifetime, the door opens this wide and smart people only need this much. For me, it's like the door opens and I got my win and stuck in there."

These days, Smith feels like he could pursue a potential third "Clerks" story – or any other story set in the View Askew universe – just as easily on television than on film, if not even better.

"Now I feel like I could do 'Clerks 3' on TV if I wanted," he said. "It would probably reach more people, and I'd get as much freedom, and I bet any TV station would say, 'Yeah, do it here!'"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The View Askew Universe

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:44 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Clerks III

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm

It will now be Kevin's last movie (because Hit Somebody is being turned into a mini-series).
It currently exists as a "70 page outline".
It will be black and white.
It will be produced by Scott Mosier.
It will be "SModcast Pictures presents a View Askew Production".
It will be released in 2014.

SOURCE
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Clerks III

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:58 pm

It WILL bomb in theaters.
It WILL have Dumbledore blowjob jokes in it.
It WILL have Star Wars references in it.
It will NOT be in theaters for more than 3 weeks before disappearing.

Source---------->Me

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:13 pm

I think he's gonna do the roadshow type thing like with Red State. It's a strange one though, the Weinsteins still own Dante and Randal and don't appear to be involved.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby so sorry on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 pm

SilentBobX wrote:It WILL bomb in theaters.
It WILL have Dumbledore blowjob jokes in it.
It WILL have Star Wars references in it.
It will NOT be in theaters for more than 3 weeks before disappearing.

Source---------->Me

HA!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:08 am

The latest is that Kevin, Scott, Jason, Brian and Jeff are in the middle of auditing The Weinstein Company over profits they've yet so see from Clerks 2.

TWC has first refusal on any Clerks sequels and nobody seems to want to deal with Harvey, so Kevin made a bare-bones pitch to Bob Weinstein and then asked Bob to let the option lapse so he could make it himself via crowd funding (either kickstarter or indiegogo). From the sound of things, they don't want to work with the Weinsteins ever again.

SOURCE
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Clerks 3

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Kevin Smith needs a Kickstarter to make a movie?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Kevin Smith needs a Kickstarter to make a movie?

That was my first thought as well. If that guy can't fund a fucking black and white clerks movie at this stage in his life...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

His plan is to match whatever the kickstarter raises with his own money
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:His plan is to match whatever the kickstarter raises with his own money

OK, last comment from me I swear.

What the fuck? He plans on matching whatever kickstarter raises? What kind of bullshit is that? HE'S THE RICH ONE. How dare he ask for donations. This isn't matching funds for disaster relief or raising money to combat world hunger for fuke's sake. Is he going to share profits as well? Those web-based money raising sites are for film makers who can't afford to do it on their own. Jeesh, the nerve of this guy.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:26 pm

If he doesn't get the cash to raise this, who wants to bet he'll release it in comic book form with some not so subtle jabs at the hollywood industry? In an era when osama bin laden zombie movies get cash to be made, it is a bit startling that he's got to go this route. What he needs to do is just relax, settle back into comic book writing if he can get it, be happy, and leave movies altogether.........LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD AFTER JSBSB.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:14 pm

If I inform Kevin Smith that there is probably more filmmaking capabilities in whatever phone he has now than the equipment he had when he made the original CLERKS, can I have half the profits? As well as a share of the profits from tours, books, and DVDs in which he recounts the anecdote about me telling him this?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm

so sorry wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:His plan is to match whatever the kickstarter raises with his own money

OK, last comment from me I swear.

What the fuck? He plans on matching whatever kickstarter raises? What kind of bullshit is that? HE'S THE RICH ONE. How dare he ask for donations. This isn't matching funds for disaster relief or raising money to combat world hunger for fuke's sake. Is he going to share profits as well? Those web-based money raising sites are for film makers who can't afford to do it on their own. Jeesh, the nerve of this guy.

On kickstarter you can use different tiers to set rewards, so people "donating" $5 will be ordering a VOD version of the movie, $15 will just be pre-ordering the dvd...
Its the same with everything else on kickstarter.
Check out this successful kickstarter from David Fincher to get an idea of what it'll probably be like.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:02 pm

David Fincher needs a Kickstarter to make a movie?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am

Kev did an AMA on Reddit earlier today and this is what was said on the subject...

Kevin Smith wrote:Status of CLERKS III is this...
I'm on page 95. That means there's about 25 pages left to go. I'm in love with it and don't want it to end, but the end is near regardless.
Now, if you promise to buy some tickets for JAY & SILENT BOB'S SUPER GROOVY CARTOON MOVIE (trailer and tix here: http://seesmod.com/groovymovie/ ), I'll give you a l'il inside info.
Go ahead - I'll wait right here. That URL again: http://seesmod.com/groovymovie/
whistles to pass the time
Okay, you're back. Good. Here's the skinny from The Fatty...
Dante. Randal. Jay. Silent Bob. They all return, naturally.
Elias. Becky. They're back as well.
So is Veronica.
I shared the first 84 pages and it passed muster with two very hard audiences so far: my wife (who, like most folks, isn't really a fan of my flicks) and Bryan Johnson (from COMIC BOOK MEN - season finale airing THIS THURSDAY). Bry's a tougher customer because a) he's the funniest person I know and b) he's the original Randal himself. Both loved it.
As for funding the flick - we nearly Kickstarted the budget back in November (talked about at great length here: http://smodcast.com/episodes/giant-size ... udience-0/ ). But now I'm feeling like that's not fair to real indie filmmakers who need the help. Unlike back when I made CLERKS in '91, I've GOT access to money now - so I should use that money and not suck any loot out of the crowd-funding marketplace that might otherwise go to some first-timer who can really use it. So if I can get away with it, I'm gonna try to pay for CLERKS III myself. As much as I love the crowd-funding model (and almost did it myself in early 2009 with RedStateGreen.com), that's an advancement in indie film that belongs to the next generation of artists. I started on my own dime, and if I'm allowed, I should finish on my own dime.
As regards Jeff and Brian: both have said "Hit me with a script and we'll see..." I'll be able to do that soon.

The Broadway version I wanted to do (six month run) turned out to be cost-prohibitive as fuck. Apparently, plays and musicals needs to run awhile to earn their costs back.
That being said, I'd love to see CLERKS: THE MUSICAL. I own the rights to do CLERKS as a stage play or musical, so maybe in ten years, I can talk my man mc chris into writing some lyrics for me..

The creative seed was hitting middle-age. Time is running out is kind of the theme of the whole flick.

I can't write about life in retail with much truth anymore because I'm twenty years removed from having a per-hour job. As much as people say CLERKS is about working, it's really not: CLERKS has always been about the lengths one goes to in an effort NOT to work.
And since I made my statement about working in 1994, many creators have shown you people at working trying not to work (both OFFICE shows, WORKAHOLICS, WAITING, etc). There's no point in me trying to say anything about working anymore because I haven't worked in decades - not relatable work anyway.
But the good news is that CLERKS is about Dante and Randal, not commerce. And NOBODY knows Dante and Randal better than me. So even though I haven't jockeyed the Quick Stop register in a long, long time, I still know EXACTLY what's happening to my boys...
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:08 pm

More importantly, he said Grant Morrison would be back for more Fatman on Batman.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:59 pm

Fried Gold wrote:More importantly, he said Grant Morrison would be back for more Fatman on Batman.

:D
CLERKS 3 Rises From TUSK’s Failure
Kevin Smith's bomb somehow paves the way for another CLERKS movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:59 am

With ‘Clerks 3′ Dead, Kevin Smith Now Planning Hollywood Satire ‘Jay and Silent Bob Reboot’
The follow-up will skewer reboot culture and return Smith to his Askewniverse for the first time since 2006's 'Clerks II'.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:57 pm

TheButcher wrote:With ‘Clerks 3′ Dead, Kevin Smith Now Planning Hollywood Satire ‘Jay and Silent Bob Reboot’
The follow-up will skewer reboot culture and return Smith to his Askewniverse for the first time since 2006's 'Clerks II'.

YES!!!!!!!

Said no one ever... skewering existing movie franchises is for the Wayan's brothers and their krew. Skewering your own movie franchise may even be below them. I at least give Smith credit for trying new ideas for his past few films.

EDIT: just reread the article...I didn't realize that Smith doesn't have the rights to Clerks, Mallrats or Chasing Amy. So that explains why Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 are dead...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Movie News