AKIRA: Neo-Manhattan

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Should it be done? Can it be done?

Hells yes
28%
Hells no
27%
They can do it but please don't
21%
They can't pull it off yet, but I can't wait til they do
12%
Kong cheets on Ann Darrow with Kaneda and Kairi and has a beer
12%

Total votes : 67

AKIRA: Neo-Manhattan

Postby King Psyz on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:37 pm

so what are the chances hollywood and WETA or ILM has the minerals to make this into a live action trillogy epic masterpiece?

I honestly hope James Cameron's battle angel does super well, because usually that's all the proof needed to greenlight a genre.
Last edited by King Psyz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:39 pm

There isn't anything that can't be done with the right time and money allowed.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:49 pm

I don't think whether or not it can be done depends on the effects. Akira is such a complex story thematically I just don't think it will translate to live action. I can't wait to see them try... but there's no way it could be as good.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:11 pm

why would you want this to be remade?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pudie on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:13 pm

It can be done, and look good. The Matrix reminded me a lot of Akira at some points.

Should it be done? Not really. It would be cool to see, but the Anime is more then enough.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:37 pm

AKIRA is, hands down, the best animated film EVER made. it's also one of the best sci-fi films ever made. can it be done? technically / efx wise, yes. should it be done? i don't think so.

maybe if somebody brings Akira Kurosawa back from the dead and convinces him to make a sci-fi story, then I'd say "yes, do it now!"

previous to the bulbous clusterfuck of King Kong, i'd say Jackson could do it, but now, no fucking way. UNLESS somebody forces him to hire an editor who isn't scared of him. somebody who will tell him to stop fucking around and use the 3 hour plus running time to TELL THE STORY not show us more giant bugs and dino races that go on forever and ever and ever...

first of all, it has to be set in Japan and has to feature a largely Japanese cast. period. theres lots of anime that is non-specific (like Battle Angel or Cowboy Beebop for instance) where characters can be westernized easily, but AKIRA (like EVANGELION or PRINCESS MONONOKE) is a very Japanese story and MUST feature a predominantly Japanese cast and crew. Period. Perhaps some characters could be westernized, but the main guys -- Tetsuo and Kaneda, HAVE TO be Japanese. theres just no other way.

i have no doubt in my mind that WETA or ILM could make some amazing stuff efxwise, but i don't know of any directors out there who could handle the story well.

the only person i can think of it Otomo himself. give Otomo a Jackson sized budget and watch the fuck out.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:41 pm

the only person i can think of it Otomo himself. give Otomo a Jackson sized budget and watch the fuck out.

Oh
My
God
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the most brilliantest zombie EVER!

:-)
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:52 pm

CthulhuKid wrote:

Oh
My
God
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the most brilliantest zombie EVER!

:-)

LOL! hey, i try...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:26 pm

i assume you're talking about an adaptation of the graphic novels, no?

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:first of all, it has to be set in Japan and has to feature a largely Japanese cast. period. theres lots of anime that is non-specific (like Battle Angel or Cowboy Beebop for instance) where characters can be westernized easily, but AKIRA (like EVANGELION or PRINCESS MONONOKE) is a very Japanese story and MUST feature a predominantly Japanese cast and crew. Period.

agreed. Akira much like Godzilla, is so powerful because ONLY Japanese culture could have produced them...they are the only "country" to be nuked. Take the Japanese element out of Akira and you'll have Emmerich's Godzilla. And lord knows we DON'T want that.

and only 3 movies? Shit, we're talkin' 2,000+pgs!

a long running series on HBO would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:22 pm

Akira, eh? The Dino, he can a do it for under a the 50 million, eh? Inna 'stead of a the motorcycles anna such, I gonna to use a the JetSki onna the water... That way we donna have a to worry about a the shutting down a the highways anna alla that, eh? Anna then we can a have a the big spectacular splashes inna the water... anna iffa they not big enough, we can a just add a some extra splashes inna post, no?

Anna I tell a you what... the Dino, he donna rely onna those goddamn whiz-kids anna their fancy CGI, eh? I gonna to get a the finest Italian engineers to build a the giant to-scale Tetsuo/Mutant thingy anna she gonna to be fantastico, eh?

Anna since a she can a use a the work, I gonna to see iffa I can a get a that little Dakota Fanning to be a the little sick girl inna the army hospital or whatever inna the hell it is, eh? I never did figure out what inna the hell was a happening inna that story anyway, no?

So I gonna to take a the best parts anna make it inna to a the live-action. 75 minutes... 80 tops! I gonna to cut out alla that stuff about a the gangs, eh? Kids these days, they donna need a to see alla the stuff about a the gangs... I gonna to make a them water polo players inna 'stead... onna the Jet Skis.

It's a gonna to be great... did I mention a my Kong, she made a back a the 3 times a the budget?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:27 pm

Sounds fucking PERFECT. In the can, baby. OLD SCHOOL.

Will you put Rick Baker in the tetsuo costume?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:35 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Akira, eh? The Dino, he can a do it for under a the 50 million, eh? Inna 'stead of a the motorcycles anna such, I gonna to use a the JetSki onna the water... That way we donna have a to worry about a the shutting down a the highways anna alla that, eh? Anna then we can a have a the big spectacular splashes inna the water... anna iffa they not big enough, we can a just add a some extra splashes inna post, no?

Anna I tell a you what... the Dino, he donna rely onna those goddamn whiz-kids anna their fancy CGI, eh? I gonna to get a the finest Italian engineers to build a the giant to-scale Tetsuo/Mutant thingy anna she gonna to be fantastico, eh?

Anna since a she can a use a the work, I gonna to see iffa I can a get a that little Dakota Fanning to be a the little sick girl inna the army hospital or whatever inna the hell it is, eh? I never did figure out what inna the hell was a happening inna that story anyway, no?

So I gonna to take a the best parts anna make it inna to a the live-action. 75 minutes... 80 tops! I gonna to cut out alla that stuff about a the gangs, eh? Kids these days, they donna need a to see alla the stuff about a the gangs... I gonna to make a them water polo players inna 'stead... onna the Jet Skis.

It's a gonna to be great... did I mention a my Kong, she made a back a the 3 times a the budget?

1. IPAMPILASH!!!

2. NOOOOOO!!! You must not ruin the cosmic dignity and psychotic wonderment of AKIRA!!! (Although the Dakota Fanning casting might actually work as much as it sickens me to admit it. And I'd LOVE to see a to scale Giant Mutant-Tetsuo thingee!!!)

3. Tetsuo would totally kick Kong's and the XMen's asseses!!! In addition, Akira has cosmic rebirth / instantaneous enlightenment abilities which easily beats Phoenix's cosmic suicide ability.

4. Glaven.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:00 am

We all know that it can be done and my guess is we will see a live action of akira in the next seven or so years. I personally want it locked in a box and put in some big wearhouse where no-one will be able to get their hands on it, (alla raiders)
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:47 am

An HBO type maxi-series is the only way to do the story justice.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby scottgreen on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:04 am

If you were going to make a live action version of an Otomo work, Domu would be the perfect choice. It's a claustrophobic horror about a psychic girl, and a crazy old man in a mammoth apartment complex.
Guillermo del Toro talked about adapting it years ago, but he said getting the rights was an ordeal. The look of the manga, in which apartment complex closes off the right of the world could be very effective, if done right, on screen.

If you enjoyed the Akira anime, make it a point to check out the manga. It's huge. The movie, up its ending is about first sixth of the manga. It's very complex and people with minor roles in the movie get fleshed out with some suprising results.

Ultimately, its a bit less spiritual and a lot more political to the movie.

Dark Horse released the manga in large format volumes a few years back, which really did wonders for the complexity of Otomo's style.
scottgreen
GLIB

Postby King Psyz on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm

Yeah I should have clarified I ment only if they adapted the entire manga. And while I hadn't thought of a direct to cable mini-series that might be the way to go.

Although something in me wants to see Akira on a giant sized screen...

And yes of course I agree you can't alter or hollywoodise this tale, it has to be set in neo-tokyo, it has to be a largely japanese cast, and it's gotta be big and grand like the anime.

EDIT:at least I added Kong to the poll...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Pudie on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:57 pm

If it did happen, it would have to be on the big screen. That movie just screams big screen.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby DorkmanScott on Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:02 pm

The only reason I can see for remaking it is to make it make a bit more friggin sense. I thought it was a great movie, but I'm not going to try to fake hipness. I'll admit flat out: I was tracking with the story for most of the time, but as of the scene in the football arena I have no idea what the hell the story was about.
DorkmanScott
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:26 pm

DorkmanScott wrote:The only reason I can see for remaking it is to make it make a bit more friggin sense. I thought it was a great movie, but I'm not going to try to fake hipness. I'll admit flat out: I was tracking with the story for most of the time, but as of the scene in the football arena I have no idea what the hell the story was about.

i think it made perfect sense, but i know alot of people who didn't understand it. this is essentially what is going on:

Tetsuo's power essentally grows beyond his ability to contain it; it mutates him until he becomes like a giant ameoba or cell that would eventually consume the entire world (and perhaps the universe).

Akira had reached this same point before, but his manifestation was like a gigantic atomic bomb; unlike Tetsuo, somehow the scientists were able to contain Akira and his remarkable power by breaking him down into his component parts, separating them, and freezing them.

okay, so back to the stadium. as Tetsuo slowly begins to consume everything he touches, Akira wakes up and reforms into a transcendent being beyond human conciousness; sort of like a buddha. once he wakes up, he takes Tetsuo and the other freakish kids into himself and they become one with the cosmos. in a nutshell. if the cosmic stuff freaks you out, think of it as like a giant chemical reaction. the Akira superparticle consumes the Tetsuo ameoba and all is well again (sorta) in NeoTokyo...

Meanwhile, during all the cosmic stuff, Kaneda literally floats through their collective soul / conciousness / memory and sees what it was like to be Tetsuo, Akira, and the other freaky kids; all of which i found rather touching and sad...

in the end, the people left alive go back to the business of surviving, while the Tetsuo-Akira-Freaky Kids Super God Soul floats out into the cosmos as an enlightened being...

the end.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby smatterkitty on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:18 pm

I don't know, I would have said that Sin City couldn't be done before seeing the movie. But for some reason I think Akira will be more difficult. Maybe I'm just thinking to literally though.
I'm hungry, let's get some of that F-ing Freeench Toast!
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:20 pm

something will change, you almost gotta change elements for the translation to work, and problems which arise in filming.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:32 pm

I doubt anyone making a live action AKIRA would leave the "KKAANEDAAAA!!! TETSUUOOOO!!!" dialogue moments in the film.

Thus rendering the whole exercise pointless.

It could be done in a CASSHERN or SIN CITY style way.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:33 pm

yeah it would have to be hyper stylized I think, just to give you that feeling of neo-tokyo.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:56 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a live action remake of Akira. I really like both the anime and manga. Why not try it? It's no sweat off my back. If the film sucks ass, I've still got the film and TPBs.

That being said (and I know it won't happen this way) I want to see it as an Asian film with Asian actors, filmmakers, and whatnot. No American Akira blowing up NYC. Too bad that's a pipe-dream.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:08 pm

I think the right director and studio would be happy to give us a japanese Akira, seeing as how the effects alone will break the bank they might rather go with Japanese actors, unknowns even.

This is going to play into how well the movie would do in Japan as well. With an all/mostly Japanese cast this thing could be cult phenom of the century.

Imagine a stylized live action Akira, like someone already said Sin City, where it looks like the Magna/Anime brought to life without making it seem hokey. Sharp contrasts, agressive angles, lots of tight framing on the characters with emphisis on the characters (which is why Akira is so endearing), sparing use of the wide scope shot so that they actually have impact.

I'd also only want to see this done from the entire manga, not just the anime. If it means 9 movies, so be it. I'll buy 5 tickets to each myself.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Alex DeLarge on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:30 pm

I saw it a couple of times a few years ago when i was really into anime, i liked but i remember it being confusing at parts so i think it would benefit from being made into two or three movies. Also special effects should definatey be done by WETA.

I was shopping a few days ago and almost bought Akira on DVD, but decided to get Close Encounters instead. Instead I got the first volume of the manga from a used book store. Im kinda confused by my copy though, its in color and i remember it being in black and white, its thiner then i remember and its flipped. Im pretty sure i got a shitty version of it so i guess im gonna have to shell out some more dough for the real mccoy.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:36 pm

yeah I'm a real dumb person. I had come into possesion of the first print editions of the Japanese Magna back in the early ninties, every volume in glorious black and white and all Japanese.

But I was also poor and just shy of being homeless so I sold them for next to nothing to some shiesty comic dealers who could tell I had to be desperate to sell them... :cry:
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby cinephile2000 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:40 am

I just watched the anime and I am blown away by it. I got the story. I am just in shock this is like my 2nd true anime (my first being Spirited Away) and I must say I want to read all the manga and just go haywire in this universe that was created. It is my favorite animated film right now.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:51 am

Live action Akira PWNS! But Honestly, I can't see hollywood pull it of properly.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:43 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:I was shopping a few days ago and almost bought Akira on DVD, but decided to get Close Encounters instead.

I bought a the DVD inna the tin case, eh? It's a got a the behind-a-the-scenes footage of a the creating the score for a the film that itself is a worth a the price of a the DVD inna the Dino's opinion, eh? You got a this a giant, how you say, "Jegog" which is a basically a the bamboo xylophone with a the multiple people crawling around on it anna playing it with a huge mallets, eh? Each guy is a playing only one a part anna so it's a gotta to be coordinated anna timed perfectly...

So when a we hear "Bada Bada Bada Bada BooDoo BooDoo BooDoo BooDoo" you really have a one putz hammering out "Ba... Ba....Ba...Ba....Boo...Boo....Boo...Boo..." anna the other putze is onna the off-a-beats going "...Da....Da....Da....Da...Doo...Doo...Doo...Doo "

I invited them out to a the villa to play at a this shindig I was a giving, eh? I gotta to tell a you, those bastards were a the hit of a the party! You have a not a heard "Finiculi Finicula" unna 'til a you hear it onna the Jegog, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby psychedelic on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:36 pm

Leave it alone! It's one of my favorite movies, animated or not. The only way it'd be good is if they had a visionary director who adored not only the movie but the manga as well. But why remake a movie that's terrific to begin with? They'll probably give it to some hack director they can boss around. Also, the story is so odd and wonderfully wacko that they'd water it down into maudlin sentimantal blah. I'd be surprised if the intellectual content remained intact.
psychedelic
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Casshern, I'd forgotten about that! Does anyone know when that's going to be released in the US?
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MadCapsule on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:42 am

I say what the hell, why not? I think Miike could pull this off. It would have to be more than one movie I think. I agree that Americanizing it would be lame.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby millsy on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:44 pm

No no no and may i add no, Live action Akira???? Maybe they could do it with other Anime oh they have....... Fist of the North Star anyone (Shite)
Suck me good
millsy
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:01 pm

MadCapsule wrote:I agree that Americanizing it would be lame.

To quote one of my favorite comic strips (Mutts) - YESH!

This is also why I hope no American filmaker is ever able to touch Battle Royale. Some things (gasp!) just work better in a foreign setting without rampant product placement and pretty people on the screen.
Although, if Evengelion was ever brought to life (fingers crossed), I'd love to see it done with American actors of Japanese descent (where are they all!?!?).... with the other nationalities from the story thrown in as well.

But Akira... the script, production ($$), director, and cast must be perfect for it to even have a chance. Thank god it's not a video game or Uwe Boll would have been on it like white on rice!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby sippiecup on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:53 pm

A live action Akira film (done correctly) could be one of those groundbreaking films that reminds the orld that action, blood and guts are fine as long as you have a strong plot and characters to back them up which is exactly what AKIRA has.

It has humanistic elements as well as spiritual elements and blends them both wonderfully (IMO) the only problem I could see is when they go to make the film and Uwe Boll gets the job and it turns into some 2 Fast 2 Akira racing flick starring Paul Walker and Colin Farrell.

All in all AKIRA could be a great live action film (especially the scene where Tetsuo is tripping out and he hallucinates that all of his insides spill out) but only if it is done properly by the right people who want to tell the story not just sell some toys and lunch boxes.
sippiecup
GLIB

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:55 pm

Welcome to a the Zone, eh Sippiecup? Hehehe... best. username. EVER!

Nice a first a post as a well, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Random thought struck my head today so I have to bumb this.

You know whop could make a great live action Akira,. if he could be bothered to do movies.

Luc Besson.

The action in Akira has a special dynamic (I don't know if that's the right word) and watching Leon or the 5th Element I think he would be perfect to tranlate it to live action.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:27 pm

That's a the good suggestion, no? But it a looks a like a the Besson, he gonna to retire from a the film making a like a he promised, after a directing 10 films, eh? Anna the "Arthur anna the Minimoys/Invisibles," she gonna to be a his a last.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:32 pm

He just needs to be motivated.

Has he got a horse you could decapitate Dino?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Oh, ABSOLUTELY this could be done. Take a look at some of the best sci-fi (lasers and shit, not Truman Show which I think is one of the best scifis out there) and adapt it to Akira. The set designs of Blade Runner, Alien 3 and to a lesser extent, The Matrix come to mind. Even a good bit of A.I., one of the worst movies I have ever seen, has a great look to it that fits Akira. Take the human element from some of the best drama (not gonna bother listing it, you can define your own "best drama"), and add in a healthy dash of spirituality and you have it. I kinda hate to say it, but the Wachowskis actually seem to be the best fit. Left on their own (Matrix trilogy), they miss the mark just slightly, but given a good source (V for Vendetta) they nail it. Think about the motorcycle chase on the highway from Reloaded. Now think about the gang fight with the Clowns. God damn, I'm getting horny over this...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Boll_KG on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:22 pm

Akira is an excellent film. Give it to Uwe :-D

He will make it good. If you say No then he will box you.
Uve plays by no-one's rules but his own. You sink you know Uve?....sink again!
Boll_KG
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:43 pm

I swear to fuckin every god and demon within sight of this posting, Boll best stay the fuck away from Akira.

The reason the motorcycle chase and most of the good parts of the Matrix make you think of Akira is because it was ripped off wholesale from Akira for the most part.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:44 pm

and seriously, my "Kong cheets on Ann Darrow with Kaneda and Kairi and has a beer" has to be the best poll option ever.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:47 pm

The SPOON from the Airwolf poll beats it hands down.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:35 pm

King Psyz wrote:The reason the motorcycle chase and most of the good parts of the Matrix make you think of Akira is because it was ripped off wholesale from Akira for the most part.

Ripped off how? Because it had a motorcycle going fast? It was on a highway? First off, Akira's scene took place at night on a deserted highway and was a battle between two gangs. Matrix was daytime on a very busy highway and was a chase/getaway. I'd dare say that the Matrix scene was far more action-packed than the Akira scene.

Regardless, the Wachowskis could take that whole sequence starting with the bar and ending with the crash at the Olympic site entrance and turn it into something even better.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:40 pm

Fawst wrote:Ripped off how? Because it had a motorcycle going fast? It was on a highway? First off, Akira's scene took place at night on a deserted highway and was a battle between two gangs. Matrix was daytime on a very busy highway and was a chase/getaway. I'd dare say that the Matrix scene was far more action-packed than the Akira scene.

Yes

Fawst wrote:Regardless, the Wachowskis could take that whole sequence starting with the bar and ending with the crash at the Olympic site entrance and turn it into something even better.

No
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:50 pm

I hope whoever does this movie includes a 45 minute scene of Tetsuo and Kaneda flying towards each other in slow motion while screaming alternately "TETSUO!" and "KANEDA!"
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:01 pm

I gotta admit that really annoyed me.

Too much shouting between them both.

The action in Akira though is Tantamount to perfection. What I would like to see is a full blown budget series, like the comics.

As good as the film was (being one of my faves ever and the first Manga to grace the UK on that label), the comics were so much finer. Tetsuo didn't die and went on....and it was amazing.

The film was still one of the seventh wonders of Amination history and pulls at my heart plug every time I see it. If it has to be done, it has to be done well...and VERY well.

As said above, Otomo HAS to be involved and please don't set it in an American environment, do it somewhere else. The phillipenes! Perfect setttings, American and Japan could get away with testing there (you can buy off the gov with so little money). Definately no overbearing actors, do it like 'Little miss sunshine', underplay every role except Kaneda and Tetsuo.......AND NO HUGE STARS FOR KANEDA AND TETSUO....maybe 'the elija' as Kaneda? Just a thought or failing that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (if it HAS to be done by a Westerner)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
Fawst wrote:Regardless, the Wachowskis could take that whole sequence starting with the bar and ending with the crash at the Olympic site entrance and turn it into something even better.

No

Why not? The scene was a triumph for animation, the neon lights and advertisements of Neo-Tokyo were amazing. But as far as action goes, there were really only 3 things that stick out in my mind: the Clown through the window at the restaurant, the gang member with the pipe getting a head-butt and subsequent run-over arm, and the game of chicken with Kaneda. Minor moments include Tetsuo's wipeout, the car getting bombed, the idiot Clown going the wrong way and blowing up, and... well that's about it. As impressive as it was for animation, it would be extremely basic for a film (maybe not the head-butt scene, but still). I think both in terms of visuals and kinetic action, they would outdo it live.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie News