AKIRA: Neo-Manhattan

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Should it be done? Can it be done?

Hells yes
28%
Hells no
27%
They can do it but please don't
21%
They can't pull it off yet, but I can't wait til they do
12%
Kong cheets on Ann Darrow with Kaneda and Kairi and has a beer
12%

Total votes : 67

Postby King Psyz on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:03 am

what's really funny is that the Watchowskis have all but said they "borrowed" heavily from Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and several other magna/anime staples.

I wish I could recall where, but I remember something about how they wanted to do the motorcycle chase from Akira but couldn't make it work safely. If yotu recall there is some motorcycle action in that sequence.

As when I stated it was ripped off, I know there's a difference between cars and bikes and night versus day. I was speaking more in terms of the kinetic angles and cuts.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:18 am

King Psyz wrote:As when I stated it was ripped off, I know there's a difference between cars and bikes and night versus day. I was speaking more in terms of the kinetic angles and cuts.

Isn't that how Hollywood and TV work?

You come up with an idea, say, a singing show where people vote. Or, perhap for film, you release the bestest sci-aciton romantic comedy ever.....in about a month, any old man and his dog is doing it but they can't copy the format for fear of being sued so they change it ever so slighty. So the Showski meeting might have gone like this,

L: Hey Andy. Let's steal the Bike chase from Akira.

A: Naaaa! we'll get sued.

L: How about he change the Bikes to cars?

A: Hmmmm...I like the way you're thinking.

L: Yeah and we change night into day.....

A: I'll check with the legal team but if looks like we have a formula which many geeks can associate with and thus, if we make this movie, chicks will dig us and we won't get sand kicked in our faces ever again!!!

I'm not sure I remember too well but why does everone seem to give praise to older quality films only after the DVD sales start waning?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby King Psyz on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:30 am

yeah pretty much
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:17 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Even if they were inspired by the things everyone brought up, that chase was far from copied. Akira could be linked to it but the images are some of the greatest car chase moments ever.

Meh... I'm onna board with a the "pedestrian" ranking, eh? Especially when a the Morpheus, he jumps up inna the air from a the roof of a the big rig anna does a the flip inna the air... anna the jump, she is a straight up inna the air as iffa the car chase, she's a happening onna the stage with a the stationary truck, green screen, anna the wind machine, eh? Anna they do it inna the goddamn slo-mo to boot, no?

Goddamn putzes.

Ditto Dino. Someone needs to get godzillasushi a helping of Bullitt/French Connection/Seven Ups stat for some real car chase scenes.

Add Ronin to the list... a modern film doing things old school!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:22 am

Bah Ronin is a total rip-off of everyday French traffic.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby LaDracul on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:58 am

Actually, I remember a music video where they ripped off Akira...

No, not that Shania Twain one...

Fuck, it was by some latina artist and I can't remember her name...she had the red leather, too...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:21 am

As much as I wouldn't want to see this. I'm intruiged to see who gets on board.

You think Gilliam would ruin it?

I'd hate to see it done with Western actors and accents. I don't think it would translate properly and considering this is a work of art (as well as the comics) I think it would suffer greatly.

papalazeru

Postby Fawst on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:23 am

Blah. Show me something truly original, and I'll show you the groundwork for everything to come after it.

Seriously, nothing is original anymore. I'll have to check that clip when I get home, but I'm assuming it's a comparison between GITS and Matrix?
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:31 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Even if they were inspired by the things everyone brought up, that chase was far from copied. Akira could be linked to it but the images are some of the greatest car chase moments ever.

Meh... I'm onna board with a the "pedestrian" ranking, eh? Especially when a the Morpheus, he jumps up inna the air from a the roof of a the big rig anna does a the flip inna the air... anna the jump, she is a straight up inna the air as iffa the car chase, she's a happening onna the stage with a the stationary truck, green screen, anna the wind machine, eh? Anna they do it inna the goddamn slo-mo to boot, no?

Goddamn putzes.

Ditto Dino. Someone needs to get godzillasushi a helping of Bullitt/French Connection/Seven Ups stat for some real car chase scenes.

Oh, I know all about those. lol. But, I guess they just lack that albino ghost knife fight im always looking for in a good chase haha!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:46 am

GOT IT!

Paulina Rubio-Don't Say Goodbye

Why they went with the "Akira" motif with a sad love song, I don't know.

Shania, however, opted NOT to go for the red leather...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_kv47m-tOUE
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Fawst wrote:Blah. Show me something truly original, and I'll show you the groundwork for everything to come after it.

Seriously, nothing is original anymore
. I'll have to check that clip when I get home, but I'm assuming it's a comparison between GITS and Matrix?

A phrase like that will come back to haunt you.

I suppose the clip essentially only puts Al's contention into words, but it's particularly worth watching as it demonstrates the level to which the Wachowski siblings have really tried to make a live action anime, often by recreating shots from GITS, (and AKIRA and the like). Not just major sequences are closely emulated, but style of action, framing, scene elements, minor shots of short duration, and so on.
I think the first Matrix movie is really good, precisely because of the way it borrows and combines the elements I mentioned in my previous post, in very new and exciting ways. After this initial success the Bros found themselves subject to the law of diminishing returns when it came to the sequels.
Last edited by tapehead on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby minstrel on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:31 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Goddamn putzes.

Don't forget Ronin.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fawst on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 pm

Wow, that WAS an awesome clip. I didn't see that as anyone ripping them apart for what they did, though, that seemed like open praise for taking what anime has done and adapting it for live action. The GITS comparison was eye opening, to be sure. But I'll fall back on my original defense of the Akira rip-off accusations because that scene STILL doesn't seem like Akira to me. Inspired by? Influential? Sure. Ripped off? Not bloody likely.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:57 pm

tapehead wrote:
Fawst wrote:Blah. Show me something truly original, and I'll show you the groundwork for everything to come after it.

Seriously, nothing is original anymore
. I'll have to check that clip when I get home, but I'm assuming it's a comparison between GITS and Matrix?

A phrase like that will come back to haunt you.

I suppose the clip essentially only puts Al's contention into words, but it's particularly worth watching as it demonstrates the level to which the Wachowski siblings have really tried to make a live action anime, often by recreating shots from GITS, (and AKIRA and the like). Not just major sequences are closely emulated, but style of action, framing, scene elements, minor shots of short duration, and so on.
I think the first Matrix movie is really good, precisely because of the way it borrows and combines the elements I mentioned in my previous post, in very new and exciting ways. After this initial success the Bros found themselves subject to the law of diminishing returns when it came to the sequels.

Nah, it'll come back to say "Hey, you jaded fuck, watch THIS." And I'll go "aaaaaaaaah, now this is the good life."

Yah, the original Matrix (hah, I just called it original... isn't that funny?) was amazing. At the time, no one had seen anything like it, other than fans of anime. I guess in the end, you have to ask: is The Magnificent Seven a ripoff of, or an homage to, Seven Samurai? See my point? There's ripping off, and there's borrowing from, and there's tipping the hat to. Matrix obviously tips the hat, and damn near knocks it off the head in doing so. The watermelon to me is a very big nod to GITS. Some of the other stuff is definitely borrowing. And, yes, the claw sequence with Neo post-"birth" is a ripoff. I'll say it.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 pm

WB takes franchise turn with 'Akira'
Studio to adapt classic anime story
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Warner Bros. will turn anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo's six-volume graphic novel "Akira" into two live-action feature films, the first of which is being fast tracked for release in summer 2009.
WB, which had the "Akira" rights several years ago only to let them lapse and then recapture them in a spirited bidding battle, is planning a twin bill that the filmmakers have described as "Blade Runner" meets "City of God."

Studio has closed a seven-figure rights acquisition deal with manga publisher Kodansha and has set Ruairi Robinson to direct a script by Gary Whitta ("Book of Eli"). Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance will produce with Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

Each feature will be based on three of the books in Otomo's series. The drama takes place in New Manhattan, a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years earlier.

Robinson, an Irish helmer who has been Oscar nominated for his short film and commercials work, is making his feature debut.

The project was brought in by exec veep Greg Silverman, who has supervised "300" and "Batman Begins."

Lazar is producer on the WB comedy "Get Smart," and he's about to start production on the Jim Carrey starrer "I Love You Phillip Morris" for EuropaCorp and Fox Searchlight.

Appian Way is producing the John Cusack starrer "The Factory" for WB and Dark Castle.

source : variety
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Moving it ro Neo Manhattan is not surprising but the idea that they will try to fit the 6 volumes into 2 movies is sort of interesting.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:22 pm

from the Main Site too

I don't know how to feel about this yet... Yes I have been waiting for an Akira movie... but changing the dynamic...

Remember the last Japanese classic they localized to Manhattan... Godzilla with the damned Ferris Bueller and Diddy and Zepllin killing classic rock.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

AKIRA...

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:25 pm

King Psyz wrote:from the Main Site too

I don't know how to feel about this yet... Yes I have been waiting for an Akira movie... but changing the dynamic...

Remember the last Japanese classic they localized to Manhattan... Godzilla with the damned Ferris Bueller and Diddy and Zepllin killing classic rock.

Killed and anally raped you mean!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 pm

yes, thanks for expressing what I could not, I had to change keyboards. The salty tears of fear shorted out the other one...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Hollywood could never do Akira proper. They'll throw out all the strange horror elements and replace them with mindless action. Tetsuo's evolving power won't be shown as a slow ever threatening presence, but a super quick beep beep techno fast paced action deal. They'll also try to make Kaneda into less of an asshole, which makes his actions at the end alot more meaningless.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:56 pm

I know... *BZXZTZTZTZTZT* DAMN THERE GOES ANOTHER KEYBOARD :P
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 pm

Was that your latent psychic ability, or are the memories of the original Akira turning you on??¿
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby King Psyz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:15 pm

that was me crying into my keyboard again...

the more I think about changing everything that made Akira Akira... fuck!

This fucking sucks... I mean a guy who's only really done animated shorts handling a epic multi movie tale?

A 30 year old teenager, Akira 90210?

The whole NY is the center of all Amercian films bullshit. At least try SF Bay as someone suggested in the TB. Or London, Paris, ect. I am sick and tired of NY films and when it comes to destroying NY all the right wingers get all pissy about disrespecting 9-11 and then they'll make some sappy refrence to 9-11 when it's supposed to be reflecting the pain of Hiroshima's destruction by a Nuclear Weapon.

Maybe they can get James Cameron on board when Avatar is done (which it sounds like it's almost is). He understands insane budgets and not compromising a vision.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:25 pm

The manga and anime will always be there. I'd like if the film wasn't called Akira, though. Then maybe someone who actually has some reverence for the source material could actually make a real Akira movie in my lifetime. Not some "fast tracked" Blade Runner Meets City of God type movie.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fawst on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm not gonna lie...

Leo DiCapprio and Joseph Gordon Levitt as Kaneda and Tetsuo? I'm so fucking sold on that. Absolutely 100% sold sold SOLD.

It will never -- NEVER -- live up to the vision in my head of a live action version. But I'll take those two, yes and please and thank you. JGL in particular, if no Leo, whatever, so long as he's still in. Brilliant casting, that.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:07 am

I will watch ANYTHING with Joseph Gordon Levitt. I absolutely love him. I am even going to sit through GI Joe, which will be hard.

JGL alongside Leo?

Salivate.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:13 am

Joseph Gordon Levitt is EXTREMELY cool casting.
Leonardo Dicrapio is not.

3rd Rock beats Growing Pains any day of the week.

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 am

None of this news is souring me on the idea of this project at all.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 am

DiCaprio is pretty good at choosing his projects. He hasn't had a stinker that I can think of since he hit it big. Even his lesser films are interesting and he always turns in a solid performance. If he chose to do this movie, I'm sure it'll be worth watching.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 am

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

papalazeru

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 am

I just hope we're going to see Tetuo vs the US Atlantic Fleet in the second movie.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby LaDracul on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:14 am

I hope this won't be like that "Sailor Moon" movie that was never made. They were going to stick the girls in LA when it was always said in the English dub that they lived in Tokyo. (Although I was miffed that they established Amy's last name as Anderson and later said it was Mizuno...what?!) Hell, one of the characters lives at a Shinto Shrine...how many Shinto Shrines are in LA?

As for Akira...I've never seen the film, but I know Tokyo and Manhattan are sister cities, and the lights of Time Square could be the same as the lights in Roppongi. It COULD work, but I wouldn't bet on it.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:25 am

I'm hoping that the whole film is about going back in time and stopping the Nazi's with Tetsuo's power because it will be just as convincing as this version.

They are going to make this film for Mongaloids to watch. They'll make this so accessible to everyone that there'll be no maturity, which is what this is....a MATURE film, and it's content would need to reflect that. I can still read Akira now and gather something philosophical from it.

'Would you like some fries with that? Here's your Akira playset toy. Come again!'

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:40 am

"Hey, it's a cartoon... you know... for the kids!" :roll:
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby instant_karma on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:59 am

If the casting news is true, my hopes for this movie have evaporated. Like KP said, the thought of 30 year old teenagers does nothing for me.

After seeing Juno, I reckon Michael Cera could capture the tragedy and repressed resentments of Tetsuo (or Steve as he'll probably now be known).

And, though I'm almost ashamed to say it, I could see Shia LeBeouf being able to pull off KANEEEEEEDAAAAAAA!!!!

I know both these actors are in their early 20's but at least they can still pass for teens.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:12 am

...or we could that whole thing filmed with animals and give them voices like Micheal J Fox and Lou Diamond Phillips and play it out in the animal world where noone dies and the extent of Tetsuo's power is to cover everyone with 'Bad Candy' that doesn't taste very nice.

I'm a hater. Oh yes! I just don't see how a hollywood version could contribute anything.

papalazeru

Postby instant_karma on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 am

papalazeru wrote:...or we could that whole thing filmed with animals and give them voices like Micheal J Fox and Lou Diamond Phillips and play it out in the animal world where noone dies and the extent of Tetsuo's power is to cover everyone with 'Bad Candy' that doesn't taste very nice.

I'm a hater. Oh yes! I just don't see how a hollywood version could contribute anything.

I'd probably watch that... :oops:
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:40 am

I could make an American live-action Akira work...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:50 am

papalazeru wrote:...or we could that whole thing filmed with animals and give them voices like Micheal J Fox and Lou Diamond Phillips and play it out in the animal world where noone dies and the extent of Tetsuo's power is to cover everyone with 'Bad Candy' that doesn't taste very nice.

Don't drag Lou Diamond Phillips into this. He was Richie Valens.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:52 am

I've solved the problem.

Do it with Care Bears!

Why beat around the bush here, that's where it's going to end up script wise.

papalazeru

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:54 am

The Care Bears already defeated a crazy kid with evil magical powers in the first Care Bears movie. Grumpy's going to have to be voiced by Robin Williams in order to make it work.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:56 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:The Care Bears already defeated a crazy kid with evil magical powers in the first Care Bears movie. Grumpy's going to have to be voiced by Robin Williams in order to make it work.

We're onto a winner there.
Now, we've got to change the 3 gimps...far too esoteric.

what about if we made them.....*idea bulb* DWARVES....and there are 7 of them?

I feel like I'm doing an advert for Orange.

papalazeru

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:58 am

I think we may have veered from the original topic of conversation...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:04 am

You're right, Pacino. I'm going to take off from this thread and wait for the inevitable crap to be released. Then I'm going to come back in here smoking a cigar and laughing like Robert De Niro watching the "Problem Child" movie.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:You're right, Pacino. I'm going to take off from this thread and wait for the inevitable crap to be released. Then I'm going to come back in here smoking a cigar and laughing like Robert De Niro watching the "Problem Child" movie.

:lol:

May I join you with an equally freakish watching pose?

By attatching stars to this movie, I just think they are trying to bolster the kitty for this film.
Even at the most optimistic, I can't see this being anything more than a 'Fist of the North Star' or a 'Crying Freeman'.

And I know there are people who know what I'm talking about.

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:52 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:

Don't drag Lou Diamond Phillips into this. He was Richie Valens.

Riiiitchie!!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby King Psyz on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:20 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:You're right, Pacino. I'm going to take off from this thread and wait for the inevitable crap to be released. Then I'm going to come back in here smoking a cigar and laughing like Robert De Niro watching the "Problem Child" movie.

:lol:

May I join you with an equally freakish watching pose?

By attatching stars to this movie, I just think they are trying to bolster the kitty for this film.
Even at the most optimistic, I can't see this being anything more than a 'Fist of the North Star' or a 'Crying Freeman'.

And I know there are people who know what I'm talking about.

I didn't catch Crying Freeman, but I did see the filmed abortion that was Fist of the North Star... :P
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:16 pm

I like Akira. But I'd say that I'm NOT a superfan/purist, so the news of Manhattan vs. Toyko and 20-somethings vs. teenagers really doesn't bother me much at all.

From what I can tell, DeCaprio is in the position of power here, and he doesn't take it lightly*. He knows his name is a HUGE draw at the B.O. Yet we haven't seem him take any 'safe' money-grab pictures (yet). No "Failure To Launch" type movies that take no creative energy to make. He seems to really take on films that interest him and (perhaps) broaden his scope of acting. With that in mind, I don't really care if he isn't a) Japanese and b) a teenager. If the TONE and THEMES of the anime (never read the comics) are still carried thru, then the location and actors shouldn't matter.
You guys are reacting like this has turned into a comedy or 80s action type shit, and I really can't see what you're basing this on. I'd like to think the exact opposite: star power means more publicity, which hopefully means more budget and more enthusiasm from those involved in making it come to life.

In short:

* I base my knowledge on what I read in magazines and online, and have no REAL hollywood behind-the-scenes insight
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby bluebottle on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:33 pm

so sorry wrote:Image

Hey, didja hear they're getting Kevin Smith to direct?

:D
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:35 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News