AKIRA: Neo-Manhattan

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Should it be done? Can it be done?

Hells yes
28%
Hells no
27%
They can do it but please don't
21%
They can't pull it off yet, but I can't wait til they do
12%
Kong cheets on Ann Darrow with Kaneda and Kairi and has a beer
12%

Total votes : 67

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:42 pm

I for one can't help but hope the best.

Neo Manhattan is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:01 pm

You know which character casting has me the most worried? The SCORE. Who the fuck is gonna even ATTEMPT to replicate/build upon/enhance what the GeinÅ
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Variety via ToplessRobot.com wrote:Each feature will be based on three of the books in Otomo's series. The story takes place in New Manhattan, a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years earlier. Otomo will exec produce the films.

Graphic novel was first adapted for the bigscreen in 1988 as a popular animated film which Otomo directed. Studio has closed a seven-figure rights acquisition deal with manga publisher Kodansha and has set Ruairi Robinson to direct a script by Gary Whitta ("Book of Eli"). Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance will produce with Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

OK, while I'm disapointed in a lot of things I'm hearing having Otomo as exec producer makes me feel a lot better. It's his baby, I know he won't ruin it. He already acknowledges faults with the Anime, so he's a perfectionist.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:11 pm

King Psyz wrote:
Variety via ToplessRobot.com wrote:Otomo will exec produce the films.

<Start Final Fantasy IV Fanfair Music>
Level up!
Confidence +20!
Relevance +50!
Anticipation +100!
Got Item: Shield of the Creator!
Got Item: Protection of the Gods!
Got Item: Amulet of Suckage Warding!
<End Final Fantasy IV Fanfair Music>
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:13 pm

is this like -18 to knee jerk reaction then.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Well, I'm glad he's involved, no doubt.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:13 pm

I always thought Akira could play in any metropol if translated well but now a new thought has struck my mind. The absence of federal government in New York. Does that mean no coup?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Hostile takeover of a financial megacorp. Easiest way around that little wrinkle.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Otomo may produce the movie, but it aint gonna feature the beautiful animation of the original... I hope it introduces more people to it rather than puts people off.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Okay, so they are going for a City of God type deal...that is good.

But the whole deal with City of God is that is was cast with real kids from the slums of Rio. Not Leo DiCaprio

They would best suited leaving the thing in Neo-Tokyo, and casting local bike punks in the roles, IMO.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:39 pm

I just had a flash of horror... jesus what if they make them all skate punks in washington square or some shit...

Oh hell...

:P

Leo, please don't fuck this up.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Sooo... a little Prayer of the Rollerboys meets Japanese philosophical science fiction? Please, God. No.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:10 pm

This is NOT NOT NOT a good idea.

Sorry, but I am in the pessimist column on this. I'm sure Leo is a fine actor and he did good on that 'giant boat sinks after seeing Kate Winslet's boobs' movie, but ripping from anime now just reeks of absolute desperation on Hollywood's part.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's a new century, and if you want originality you have to go to some big city like NY or LA to see something original by a fledging group of indie filmmakers, but this is just wrong. I'm not going to go and scream heresey or blasphemy etc but I love Akira. It was the first anime I'd ever seen and to this day it hasn't lost a micron of its punch or impact and I'll take a 2,664th viewing of it over just about any live action Hollywood CG action film today.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Whew, went for the triple-negative on that one, eh?

Well, that's the beauty of this... you can watch the original on opening night and ignore the live action version :)
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:17 pm

Fawst wrote:Whew, went for the triple-negative on that one, eh?

Well, that's the beauty of this... you can watch the original on opening night and ignore the live action version :)

Yeah, I've not attempted a triple negative since the Winter X-games. Threw my back out, hurt all those kids.....wait, mum's the word, pending lawsuits and all that......

But you're right. I've found that ignoring things like this do help me as it did after I foolishly watched the live TF movie. It helps my blood pressure and overall health not to get too worked up about things out of my control. Like films and the weather and .........well things I want to change

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:23 pm

I have to say, one of the only times I didn't go out and actually watch a movie based on something I really enjoyed was... Mario Bros. I mean, that was a cash-in on an EPIC scale, and I even knew it as a kid. My favorite story of working on a movie comes from John Leguizamo, who said that he and Hoskins used to sit in a trailer between takes just downing a bottle of Jack, saying over and over again "What are we doing here? What are we doing here?"

EDIT: Here's another gem that I somehow missed...

Bob Hoskins: "The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Bros. It was a nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin' nightmare. Fuckin' idiots."
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:29 pm

That's a funny story, Fawst. You should try the Nostalgia Critic's take on Super Mario Bros. Just type his name in youtube and you'll find his video on it. Hilarious stuff. He'd probably be happy here. His movie reviews absolutely kill me.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:46 pm

Wow. I posted the two Akira stories last night, and this morning I had 45 e-mails bitching about it. People are screaming racism like you wouldn't believe.

Last time I post something about anime, that's for sure.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Wow. I posted the two Akira stories last night, and this morning I had 45 e-mails bitching about it. People are screaming racism like you wouldn't believe.

hahaha, just to be clear, they were bitching about the casting. They weren't accusing you of somehow being racist, right?? I haven't read your Akira stories yet...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Wow. I posted the two Akira stories last night, and this morning I had 45 e-mails bitching about it. People are screaming racism like you wouldn't believe.

hahaha, just to be clear, they were bitching about the casting. They weren't accusing you of somehow being racist, right?? I haven't read your Akira stories yet...

Yeah, it was just the casting. Luckily I don't seem to have taken the blame for that, though a few seemed horrified I was so blase about the location change.

The continuing refrain has been "You might as well have them wear blackface."
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:The continuing refrain has been "You might as well have them wear blackface."

Any of them ZZS?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:The continuing refrain has been "You might as well have them wear blackface."

Any of them ZZS?

HAHAHAHA
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fievel on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 am

From The Main Site:

The film takes place in Neo Manhattan after World War III, unlike the anime/manga's Neo Tokyo, but city will have been rebuilt with Japanese money and consequently feature a Japanese aesthetic.

That bit intrigues me... alot.
Hopefully it can look more like the original did... even though it's in America.

Tetsuo will likely become "Tim" or "Ted".

Kaneda will be come "Canada" - a nickname because that's where he was born before his family moved to New York.... hence his "issues". :wink:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:21 am

How it going to sound when it comes to videos like
this

Scott! Tim! Scott! Tim!

Something equally silly
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:24 am

Why would they change the names?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:41 am

Because it's Hollywood and market research might suggest that Kaneda and Testuo might not be 'palettable' to a Western Audience.

papalazeru

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Yeah, it was just the casting. Luckily I don't seem to have taken the blame for that, though a few seemed horrified I was so blase about the location change.

The continuing refrain has been "You might as well have them wear blackface."

Were'they talking about setting it in America or are they one of the people who haven't/aren't able to read the first post?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 am

Damn, LS, where did you post this stuff that there was such blatant douchebaggery going on? That's ridiculous. Just because the fucking emo purists (who probably weren't even BORN yet when this was released) won't get their precious Neo-Tokyo and it's being done with American leads, wah wah wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhhh... Blech. Anyways.

This isn't very difficult to get right. And getting it right does NOT mean that it has to be in Japan, with Japanese actors, in Japanese. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I think that if it was done that way, it wouldn't be as good as I think this could turn out. Something in the back of my mind makes me think it'd get the same treatment as something like... I dunno, pick a generic Japanese scifi live action story?

I'm blathering, don't want to be at work, wishing the snow outside would pick up so we can leave early!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 am

Fawst wrote:This isn't very difficult to get right. And getting it right does NOT mean that it has to be in Japan, with Japanese actors, in Japanese. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I think that if it was done that way, it wouldn't be as good as I think this could turn out. Something in the back of my mind makes me think it'd get the same treatment as something like... I dunno, pick a generic Japanese scifi live action story?

Yes and those Generic live action movies were good were they?

Take for example, Cashern.

Blergh!

The Japanese market doesn't pour the same money, generally, into films. Hey do into Animation but not film.

Now if you're going to do it....

ARISE MAZINGER Z!

papalazeru

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 am

Fievel wrote:From The Main Site:

The film takes place in Neo Manhattan after World War III, unlike the anime/manga's Neo Tokyo, but city will have been rebuilt with Japanese money and consequently feature a Japanese aesthetic.

Hopefully it can look more like the original did... even though it's in America.

Kaneda will be come "Canada" - a nickname because that's where he was born before his family moved to New York.... hence his "issues". :wink:

CAN-A-DAAAAA! Hrm... not sure if it works so well to scream that at the top of my lungs all the time. People might think I'm weird.

I have high hopes for this movie with DiCaprio being on board and the fact that they're giving it enough story to break it up into two movies. Because let's face it, with Speed Racer and Dragonball not looking like they're going to be very good it'd be nice for there to be a live action anime/manga adaption that was pretty good.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

CAN-A-DAAAAA! Hrm... not sure if it works so well to scream that at the top of my lungs all the time. People might think I'm weird.

I have high hopes for this movie with DiCaprio being on board and the fact that they're giving it enough story to break it up into two movies. Because let's face it, with Speed Racer and Dragonball not looking like they're going to be very good it'd be nice for there to be a live action anime/manga adaption that was pretty good.

I wouldnt' have minded if they picked up weaker franchises to pick on first - to test the water.

Oh yes..they did. Guyver.

Bleugh!

And there was that kids version of it too which was double blurgh!

I would prefer to see a movie of Battle Angel Alita, personally. I think that one lends itself more to film and it would be wonderful to watch with a no name cast ('cept the Doc)
Last edited by papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papalazeru

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:15 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

I wouldnt' have minded if they picked up weaker franchises to pick on first - to test the water.

Oh yes..they did. Guyver.

Bleugh!

And there was that kids version of it too which was double blurgh!

LOL

I remember that... it was kind of Power Rangers-like only with arm blades.

There was also that really bad "Fist of the Northstar" movie too... I only caught the second half of it but... just wow was it bad.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:16 pm

So...I can see where we're going here.

I would like to know many concessions Omoto will give?

Look what happened to Woo (god rest his Action Movie soul)

papalazeru

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 pm

papalazeru wrote:
I would prefer to see a movie of Battle Angel Alita, personally. I think that one lends itself more to film and it would be wonderful to watch with a no name cast ('cept the Doc)

I believe that's Cameron's follow-up to Avatar...

Unless something has changed recently...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:25 pm

papalazeru wrote:Because it's Hollywood and market research might suggest that Kaneda and Testuo might not be 'palettable' to a Western Audience.

Not to be a jerk but you are just pulling this out of thin air. This project hasn't even progressed anywhere near this point yet.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:27 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fawst wrote:This isn't very difficult to get right. And getting it right does NOT mean that it has to be in Japan, with Japanese actors, in Japanese. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I think that if it was done that way, it wouldn't be as good as I think this could turn out. Something in the back of my mind makes me think it'd get the same treatment as something like... I dunno, pick a generic Japanese scifi live action story?

Yes and those Generic live action movies were good were they?

Take for example, Cashern.

Blergh!

The Japanese market doesn't pour the same money, generally, into films. Hey do into Animation but not film.

Now if you're going to do it....

ARISE MAZINGER Z!

What are you, my echo? :) You just proved my point. People are bitching that this is an American version of Akira, whereas if it had been made in Japan by a Japanese studio, it wouldn't have the level of detail and access to copious amounts of funding that an American production will have. Hence, if it were made in Japan it would be about as good as those crappy live-action movies are.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:29 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Because it's Hollywood and market research might suggest that Kaneda and Testuo might not be 'palettable' to a Western Audience.

Not to be a jerk but you are just pulling this out of thin air. This project hasn't even progressed anywhere near this point yet.

If they are going to change the location from Tokyo to New York, it's not a massive leap to assume that, as they are using Americans to play the roles, they will change the characters names to English too.

I vote for Bill and Ted :D
Last edited by CeeBeeUK on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:30 pm

It's going to rip off the visual aesthetic of Bladerunner I'm sure. If this is New York rebuilt by Japanese money, it's going to look like the NY version of Bladerunner. I'm OK with that.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Fawst wrote:It's going to rip off the visual aesthetic of Bladerunner I'm sure. If this is New York rebuilt by Japanese money, it's going to look like the NY version of Bladerunner. I'm OK with that.

Bladerunner.... but sunny.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Actually, yes, that's what I was thinking. The whole story doesn't take place at night. What I can't wait for is to see if they keep the scene with Tetsuo picking up his guts off the ground when he starts tripping out after the attack by the clowns (when he steals Kaneda's bike). Those major "HOLY SHIT!" moments need to be in there, like when Tetsuo smooshes the guards with that sphere of force in the hospital? Ooooh, I wanna see that!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:13 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

If they are going to change the location from Tokyo to New York, it's not a massive leap to assume that, as they are using Americans to play the roles, they will change the characters names to English too.

Bill and Ted gets my vote too.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:40 pm

TheButcher wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

Bill and Ted gets my vote too.

What's wrong with Jay and Silent Bob.

Too soon? :lol:

Now I'd pay to see Jay and Silent Bob to that whole 'KANEDAAAA, TETSUUUUOOOOO!' scene together.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Fawst wrote:What are you, my echo? :) You just proved my point. People are bitching that this is an American version of Akira, whereas if it had been made in Japan by a Japanese studio, it wouldn't have the level of detail and access to copious amounts of funding that an American production will have. Hence, if it were made in Japan it would be about as good as those crappy live-action movies are.

I am agreeing with you but as we've seen the across the water, that's not been a great success either.

papalazeru

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Fawst wrote:Actually, yes, that's what I was thinking. The whole story doesn't take place at night. What I can't wait for is to see if they keep the scene with Tetsuo picking up his guts off the ground when he starts tripping out after the attack by the clowns (when he steals Kaneda's bike). Those major "HOLY SHIT!" moments need to be in there, like when Tetsuo smooshes the guards with that sphere of force in the hospital? Ooooh, I wanna see that!

I hope Akira appears the way he was in the comics and not the movie.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Fawst wrote:Actually, yes, that's what I was thinking. The whole story doesn't take place at night. What I can't wait for is to see if they keep the scene with Tetsuo picking up his guts off the ground when he starts tripping out after the attack by the clowns (when he steals Kaneda's bike). Those major "HOLY SHIT!" moments need to be in there, like when Tetsuo smooshes the guards with that sphere of force in the hospital? Ooooh, I wanna see that!

Well the two films are being based on the comics, so it may likely be the case.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

As do I but it would take a heck of a long delivery to approach Akira himself. The comic was such a journey, and it still is now.

I'm so Cynical that they will do it right.

It would be nice and I would like to see it done well but CK, do you honestly believe that 2 films is going to do it justice?

Or do you think it'll be anything near the Anime or near the Manga?

Even though the Anime was a cut down version, it at least had the philosophy.

The thing that bugs me is that the whole Neo-Tokyo is an allegory for post Holocaust Japan, to a degree. I'm wondering whether it'll be given the Godzilla/Cloverfield treatment and whether thats the reason it's born.

Exec: 'Now we need more allegorical stories. Cloverfield was a big success and we can see from the Market Dollar that people are feeling the "trapped" Allegorical dollar'.

A la Deus ex vivendum (scuse my Latin) Bill Hick.

papalazeru

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:16 pm

As a fan of the Manga I was never satisfied with the Anime. It's visually stunning but the story is so truncated it becomes only barely coherent. I don't see how twice (maybe almost 3 times depending on the length of each film) the amount of screen time could possibly be bad a thing.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:As a fan of the Manga I was never satisfied with the Anime. It's visually stunning but the story is so truncated it becomes only barely coherent. I don't so how twice (maybe almost 3 times depending on the length of each film) the amount of screen time could possibly be bad a thing.

It'll never reach 3 times. The Anime was 2 hours long, quite an innovation back then for a sole film.

I totally agree with you but the film coined it's own philosophy loosely based up the the manga....and it wa really cool.

It would be impossilbe to convey the Manga in film form, especially with Tetsuo with the Clown gang.

I have a feeling that they will stick to the 'cartoon' (I mean that offensively) because people know that more. It'll be a let down...as much as I understand what I think CK wants it to be.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:33 pm

I can't pass my bile and garbage if this passes of the index.

It's going to be terrible and I have yet to be convinced.

Mega BUMP!

papalazeru

Postby King Psyz on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:42 pm

must

keep

akira

in

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News