TheButcher's got the Marvel Scoops...(PHASE 3)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Black Panther

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Anthony Mackie Doesn't Care If 'Black Panther' Director Is Black:
"They Didn’t Get a Horse to Direct 'Seabiscuit' "
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:02 am

"They Didn’t Get a Horse to Direct 'Seabiscuit' "

I don't know if I agree with Mackie here, but that's an awesome line
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Captain America 3

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:12 am

Exclusive: We Know When You’ll See the ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Trailer
sources are telling us that the first look at the film will be attached to Star Wars: The Force Awakens on opening weekend
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TheButcher (and/or MTV)'s got the Marvel Scoops...(PHASE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Marvel's man is Tulsa native Jeremy Latcham, executive producer of 'Avengers' sequel
MICHAEL SMITH wrote:Jeremy Latcham spends much of his time hanging out with the coolest guys in the universe.

He was always popular. You don’t become student body president at Union High School, as the 1999 graduate was, without having a lot of friends.

But now he counts among his closest pals this lineup: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the Hulk. Not to mention Peter Quill, Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

Latcham is senior vice president of production development for Marvel Studios. He’s the executive producer of this summer’s most anticipated sequel, “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” as he was for the first film and also last summer’s hit “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Latcham is one of the major players in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

He’s one of Hollywood’s most respected young executives, and at 34, he’s already been part of Marvel’s braintrust for several years, becoming the on-set manager of 250-million-dollar productions.

This can mean umpteen-hour days and spending months on end with his wife out of the country for shooting (11 months in London, Italy, South Korea and more on “Age of Ultron”).

And yet, when he talks Marvel movies, he still has the youthful enthusiasm of a teen planning a pep rally for Union’s Friday night football game.
So who are his best buds, the fun bunch: the Avengers or the Guardians?

“Oh, wow, they are so different that I think of them like (“Guardians” director) James Gunn does, that if the Avengers are the Beatles, the Guardians of the Galaxy are the Rolling Stones,” Latcham said in a phone interview last week.

“The Avengers get to do things that you can’t do in any other movies, with these gigantic set pieces that are earned because you have such iconic characters,” he said.

“ ‘Guardians’ was such a risk, with no idea how people were going to respond to it, and I ended up at a place where I thought, ‘I want people to love this as much as I do,’ you know?” he said of the film full of unknown characters that the public embraced completely.

Getting to the bottom line: Which of these groups, at the end of the day, is Latcham hanging out with and having a beer?

“Well, it’s probably the Avengers because I’ve known them for so long, and they are a pretty fun-loving group,” Latcham said of the heroes last seen following up a winning battle for control of the universe with a sit-down dinner of shawarma all around in “The Avengers” post-credit scene.

“It’s funny to be talking about this because there is this great scene in the first act of ‘Age of Ultron’ that finds them all having beers, and you really feel that camaraderie. That’s what I’m talking about.”

Latcham’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” responsibilities extend well beyond filming to include marketing concepts and post-production efforts and movie premieres.

He attended the latest premiere with his three favorite ladies: his wife, Aileen Erin, the author of the popular young-adult series of “Alpha Girl” books; his mom, Kristi Latcham, No. 1 cheerleader of his career, along with his dad, Greg; and his grandmother Doris Hopper who still lives in Oklahoma in Perkins.

“Seeing my grandmother walk down that red carpet and meet the stars — she couldn’t believe it, and I just loved it. She had such a good time,” Latcham said.

He added how thrilled he was to include her in the event following the recent death of his grandfather John Hopper, a career educator who assisted in forming the first vo-tech schools in Oklahoma and who served as superintendent of Central Vo-Tech in Drumright for more than a quarter century.

“He was very important to me and a really big influence on my life,” Latcham said.

“I’ll always remember him telling me that I could do anything, and he didn’t think my idea to try to make movies in California was crazy at all.”

From helping out on filming a Mazzio’s Pizza Dippers commercial in Tulsa to interning at indie studio Miramax to winning a car on “The Price is Right” to pay for a second Hollywood summer internship — he has his own great Hollywood story — Latcham has climbed the ladder quickly and confirmed his grandfather’s faith in his abilities.

He’s earned his stripes as one of the key Marvel lieutenants working for Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios. Latcham is increasingly the Marvel representative who talks to the media about Marvel films.

His words reveal his knowledge of that universe but no secrets.

So what’s new in this “Avengers” movie? To start with, a breathless beginning. They are the Avengers, and they apparently need no introduction after their mega-success first film.

“The movie starts off with an action-packed scene, and they are all together helping each other in battle, and it is epic,” Latcham said.

“That first shot is continuous for like 1 minute, 20 seconds of just nonstop action, and it is incredible.”

He’s excited about the film’s heart, action and surprises. He’s thrilled with the work of writer-director Joss Whedon, and he paid an ultimate compliment to the man who’s moving on to other projects after directing both “Avengers” films.

“I think he writes the best version of Thor. I think he writes the best version of Captain America. That’s how good he is,” Latcham said of Whedon’s distinctive voice.

“I’ve spent much of the last five years with him, so it’s going to be weird to not be getting calls and texts from Joss about the movie.”

Latcham will move on to spend the better part of the next few years working on the sequels.

He said he will continue as executive producer on “Avengers: Infinity War — Part I” and its sequel, the third and fourth films teaming up Marvel’s superheroes and set for 2018 and 2019.

The two movies will film back-to-back in Atlanta, meaning several more years that Latcham will spend with his friends in high places — like Asgard and beyond.

'Age of Ultron' Producer on Film's Ending: 'People Are Going to Say, "Oh My God!"
Marvel producer Jeremy Latcham says the Avengers movies could go on indefinitely, telling Yahoo Movies: “We could stay here forever. It’s fun. Why would you leave?”

Kevin Feige & Jeremy Latcham Give More Character Backstory to Captain America: Civil War
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

TheButcher (and/or MTV)'s got the Captain America Scoops...

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:07 am

Ribbons wrote:I beat TheButcher! Suck it Butcher!

Robert Downey Jr. to join Captain America 3:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-downey-jr-to-join-captain-america-3-exclusive-1201312229/

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:19 am

Marvel Wants Ryan Coogler To Direct BLACK PANTHER
He could go from pugilist to king.

CREED’s Ryan Coogler In Talks For BLACK PANTHER
If this pans out, it's very good news.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:37 pm

Did someone force-quit TheButcher and forget to restart him? I haven't seen a post in weeks.

Maybe Kirks pulled the plug...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:40 am

I think The Force Awakens broke him
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:11 am

Ribbons wrote:I think The Force Awakens broke him

Seriously, his review was a great read. Partially because it was The Freaking Butcher posting a novel on inner-most thoughts of his!! But also because the review itself was a good read. It reminded me of a scene in a movie where the silent character finally speaks - Silent Bob, or when Chief finally breaks character in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was a fucking moment!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 am

so sorry wrote:Did someone force-quit TheButcher and forget to restart him? I haven't seen a post in weeks.

He's taken a sabbatical leave from the Zone. All that posting has been too stressful for him.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm

TheButcher was David Bowie. few people knew that when he wasn't acting in films or recording music, he enjoyed spending his days reading movie news and posting links to stories on internet message boards.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Too soon, man.

Well, since TheButcher has cast off this mortal coil:

Ryan Coogler Officially Made Official Director of 'Black Panther' with Official Press Release
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Inhumans

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Bleeding Cool:
What I Was Told About The Inhumans Movie Last Year
Rich Johnston wrote:Last year, at the New York Comic Con, I was told by well connected senior individuals that a memo had gone out to Marvel senior staffers saying that the Inhumans move was to be “deprioritised” at Disney/Marvel.

I was told that it was expected that the Inhumans movie would be delayed, dropped off the slate and eventually done away with, with the reason to be given that they didn’t find the right director with the right vision or some such.

But the real reason was that Inhumans was a Isaac Perlmutter-pushed project and was only on the slate in the first place if Kevin Feige was allowed his own Captain Marvel project on the slate, something Perlmutter wasn’t as keen on. And last year the two split badly and Perlmutter and the rest of the comics side of the company were removed from involvement with the film side of Marvel Studios (though they kept the TV shows).

The Bleeding Cool report was much mocked at the time (there’s a pattern for that). But the Inhumans movie was delayed, and has now been dropped off the slate for 2019 without a replacement date.

Lots of reasons are being given. And, as I said, all I knew was what I was told late last year and plenty of things can happen between then and now.

But since that original report suddenly seems to be getting a bunch of traffic I thought I’d at least try to give some additional context.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Inhumans

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 7:47 am

BMD:
Marvel Takes THE INHUMANS Off The Schedule
It's the ultimate move of independence.
DEVIN FARACI wrote:Yesterday it became public knowledge that Marvel Studios had unscheduled The Inhumans. Once dated for 2019, the movie has now been banished to the cornfield, and I suspect that it will never come back. And why would it? The film itself was a remnant of the old days when Ike Perlmutter was still the phantom menace overseeing Marvel Studios.

With the X-Men languishing at Fox, Ike decided to fight genetically enhanced superheroes with genetically enhanced superheroes. The Inhumans, a group of people who were granted super powers (and often super deformities) thanks to ancient alien tinkering with their DNA, would step into the role the mutants had long occupied in the Marvel Universe. Publishing fell right into line, pushing the Inhumans in a big way - and even, it seems, exiling most of the mutants from the Earth in the wake of an outbreak that is killing them. And Studios bowed to the pressure as well, putting The Inhumans on their long movie schedule.

But then there was a corporate coup. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige was able to appeal to the ultimate overlords at Disney and his division was removed from the yoke of Ike. That change, my sources tell me, has coincided with something of a golden age at Marvel Studios, a new era where the meddling from the Creative Committee is over and Feige is left to work directly with the filmmakers and foster a more creative, positive atmosphere.

Still, The Inhumans hung on to the schedule. It got moved back, away from the fray of Infinity War, but it was still there. Until this week, and it seems to me that the disappearing of The Inhumans represents Feige cutting the final ties with Ike.

What does this mean for the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe? Well, it's very telling that amidst all the talk of 'enhanced' people in Captain America: CIvil War not one person talks about Inhumans or people with alien DNA, despite that being the big, driving storyline on red-headed stepchild show Agents of SHIELD. The movie didn't even throw the show a bone. It might as well take place in an alternate universe, and now that there probably will never be any Inhumans in the movies that alternate universe grows more distant.

Here's my question: by taking The inhumans off the schedule does Feige give Marvel TV the opportunity to finally use name characters like Black Bolt and Medusa? Or will he continue to squat on the characters, denying the TV shows superheroes of any consequence whatsoever? I guess it all depends on how deep the divide is over there.

Of course it's always possible that The Inhumans could come back - maybe a filmmaker with a vision for it will show up. But for now, I think this project is essentially dead.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Secret Origin of the MCU

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 06, 2016 4:47 am

Marvel Studios' Origin Secrets Revealed by Mysterious Founder: History Was "Rewritten"
With 'Angry Birds' headed to theaters, producer David Maisel spills all on how he played a key role in turning Marvel Studios into a global film power as, he says, an inventor of its sequels and quasi-sequels strategy and engineer of the Disney sale.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Michael B. Jordan Joins Marvel's 'Black Panther' (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Michael B Jordan will reteam with his Creed director Ryan Coogler for Marvel Studios’ Black Panther, inking a deal to join movie's buzzy cast, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

This would be the third time that Jordan will work with Coogler, who is helming the comic book movie as well as writing the script with Joe Robert Cole. The first time the duo came together was for the indie drama Fruitvale Station.

Chadwick Boseman is toplining Black Panther while Lupita Nyong’o is in negotiations to star alongside him.

It is unclear who Jordan would play but one source told THR that it could be a villain. Marvel had no comment.

Boseman and Black Panther were introduced in Captain America: Civil War, which crossed the $700 million worldwide mark in under a week and a half.

The character, whose name is T’Challa, is the warrior king of Wakanda, Marvel’s fictional African nation that is rich in an unbreakable alloy called vibranium.

Black Panther has a Feb. 16, 2018, release date, with production set to start in early 2017.

Panther won’t be Jordan’s superhero movie debut. The actor last year starred as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch in Fox’s Marvel franchise, The Fantastic Four.

Jordan is currently developing a remake of The Thomas Crowne Affair as an acting vehicle. He will also produce the remake along with the Joe and Anthony Russo.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:09 am

Civil War Did Not Cause The Big Split At Marvel Comics – The Rot Set In With Iron Man 2
Rich Johnston wrote:In a series of recent interviews, the Russo Brothers, directors of the recent Captain America movies, with Avengers to follow, believe that disagreements over plot points in their Civil War film may have led to the splits within Marvel.

These splits saw Kevin Feige take the movie-making side of the company, Marvel Studios, away from the rest of Marvel so that he reported directly to Disney’s Head Of Studios Alan Horn rather than Marvel CEO Isaac Perlmutter. This also meant that Captain America: Civil War is the last of the movies to have direct input from Marvel and the Marvel Creative Committee.

The timing and content of the interviews does seem curious when lined up with a number of other interviews, such as with Shane Black, and others that throw shade on Isaac Perlmutter and the rest of Marvel. I’ve been aware of considerable Hollywood and comics industry upset and dissent over the last few weeks at what some see as a conspiracy, and with convention season heating up, people are talking. And not just David Meisel.

The fact that it seems to have happened just as the final Marvel Studios film that the comic book side of the company had a say was released seems more like a planned hit. And one that Disney has approved of.

Let’s dig in.

I’ve talked to a number of sources who disagree with the Russos’ specific take on the cause of the big split at Marvel. Rather than occurring during Civil War, its origins are with Iron Man 2. And what happened when Marvel executives freaked out after seeing an early cut of the movie. A lot of money had been spent, Marvel wasn’t willing to go back to the drawing board. But changes had to be made.

Do you remember the scenes with a drunken Tony Stark in the suit? Originally, they were far worse. Scenes which showed Stark falling down drunk, and being cruel, demeaning and frankly misogynist to Pepper Potts were cut, reedited and reshot in order keep the character from being totally irredeemable by the end of his first sequel. Though some of the drunkenness still exists in the final cut, in a more comedic fashion.

Kevin Feige encountered opposition by the rest of the Marvel team for a lack of judgement over how he allowed the creative team on the movie to treat Marvel’s up-and-coming franchise. And he was overruled.

But the opposition to his choices appears to have begun the tensions that would lead him to move Marvel Studios away from the comics side. It certainly fostered resentment towards Marvel.

This rift was deepened when Feige seemed to start taking credit for the conceptualising of the Avengers movie, a series of Marvel films that would lead up to that coming together of the characters and the strategy behind that. But when that was being decided, by the likes of high-level executives Isaac Perlmutter, Alan Fine, Avi Arad, David Meisel and others, Kevin Feige wasn’t in the room.

Then in 2012 Alan Horn joined Disney as the Head Of Studios. In this role, he did nothing to smooth out the issues at Marvel, or bring the two slowly fracturing parts of Marvel together. Indeed, he seems to have fostered that split.

He had form in this regard. At Warner Bros, Alan Horn was the man who drove the stake through any remaining connection between DC Comics and WB Studios. Something he seemed he was choosing to do at Marvel as well.

It may be worth pointing out that Horn has never been the best friend to comics. It was his Warners VP meeting a decade ago that saw DC Vertigo forced to change their creator owned contracts to be more restrictive regarding media rights, something that saw Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and others take their projects elsewhere, a creative brain drain that Vertigo never recovered from.

He insisted that Marvel Studios move out of the Marvel offices and relocate on the Disney lot, suggesting it would be beneficial on a creative level. The move finally occurred in 2013.

Feige was now well looked after by Horn and Disney execs who now had instant access to him, and were allowing the fights between Marvel Studios and Marvel to get worse. The inevitable outcome was that Feige and Studios no longer reported to Marvel but directly to Alan Horn himself. Mission accomplished.

But before that split was official, a little over a year ago, Isaac Perlmutter played peace maker – he invited the entire Marvel team to a meeting in Florida in an attempt to clear the air and get back to the business working better together.

It was that meeting when Feige stated his desire to be a part of Disney and not Marvel. This was the point of no return, and when Alan Horn and the rest of Disney learnt of this, they were happy to let the inevitable happen.

So while Ike Perlmutter and Kevin Feige have been seen as Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, Alan Horn is seen as playing at Baron Zemo, pulling the strings of the Civil War, pitting Marvel against itself and putting them on a self-destructive path.

So even though the Russos see their movie as what caused the split, it was merely the last straw.

The TV shows, for ABC, Netflix and others, including Agent Carter, Jessica Jones and Agents Of SHIELD are still part of Marvel. Though they have lost alignment and co-ordination between the movies and the TV shows which would otherwise have co-promoted each other. You may have noted that this season’s Agents Of SHIELD had a scene where the cast talked about what was happening in Civil War – basically after the writers had got to see the almost-finished film.

But Doctor Strange in November will be the first Marvel Studios film without the input of Marvel. It will be the first true test of Marvel Studios-without-the-comics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:45 pm

This is all going to make for a fascinating book one day
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:50 pm

Ribbons wrote:This is all going to make for a fascinating book one day

Zack Snyder's MARVELS!
The book is now the movie. Starring Dwayne Johnson as Kevin Feige.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Captain Marvel'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:09 pm

TheButcher wrote:
TheButcher wrote:'Captain Marvel' Movie Targets 'Inside Out' and 'Guardians' Writers
Nicole Perlman, who co-wrote 'Guardians of the Galaxy,' and Meg LeFauve are in talks to pen the script for Marvel's first female-driven movie.

‘Captain Marvel’ Co-Writer Meg LeFauve on Approaching a Powerful Female Superhero
MEG LeFAUVE: Yeah, we haven’t started yet! We have not started yet. We just got the phone call to come over to Marvel. But for me personally, the wonderful thing about her and the challenge of her is going to be that she’s a female superhero. And that is awesome because she’s so powerful, and how hard is that going to be because she’s so powerful? We don’t want the Superman curse. “What’s her vulnerability?” is what we have to figure out.

Brie Larson the Frontrunner to Play Captain Marvel (EXCLUSIVE)
After winning the best actress Oscar for “Room,” Brie Larson has her sights on another marvelous role.
Justin Kroll wrote:Sources tell Variety Larson is in early talks to play Captain Marvel, one of Marvel’s most popular female superheroes, in an upcoming standalone film. It’s unknown where negotiations stand, but sources have told Variety that Larson is their first choice, and that she’s leaning toward playing the part.

Marvel had no comment on the story.

No director is currently on board. Marvel, however, had always planned to have an actress lined up early, with the idea of possibly introducing her in one of its upcoming films before its “Captain Marvel” movie bows.

“Inside Out” scribe Meg LeFauve and Nicole Perlman are currently writing the script, which follows Carol Danvers, an air force pilot whose DNA is fused with that of an alien during an accident. The resulting alteration imbues her with the super powers of strength, energy project and flight.

Kevin Feige is producing the pic.

Larson has been choosing both big-budget spectacles, like the upcoming “Kong: Skull Island,” and prestige films, such as “Room” and “The Glass Castle,” which she is currently filming.

She can be seen next in Ben Wheatley’s “Free Fire” opposite Armie Hammer. She is repped by WME and Authentic Talent and Literary Management.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SKRULLS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:46 am

FBO August 9, 2012:
Marvel’s Movie Rights: Who Owns What
Although the FF have encountered many alien races over the course of their adventures, none more memorable than the shape-shifting Skrulls. Fittingly, the rights situation surrounding the aliens are as amorphous as they are. During an interview promoting the European premiere of The Avengers, Marvel Studio chief Kevin Feige stated that rights to the Skrulls are owned by both Fox and Marvel, and either studio could use them in their films. Although he did not say so, it would not be unreasonable to believe that the Skrulls centuries-old enemies the Kree, who also factored heavily in many Fantastic Four and Avengers storylines, were under the same shared agreement. Furthermore, Feige did not clarify the status of one particular Skrull character, the so-called Super Skrull, who has all the powers of the Fantastic Four in addition to his native shape changing ability, though it is generally believed that the rights lie solely with Twentieth Century Fox.

/film July 7th, 2016:
The Skrulls Could Appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Peter Sciretta wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director James Gunn recently appeared on the Pointless Podcast (via io9) and talked briefly about the legal ownership of some Marvel characters. In the interview, Gunn clarified a long-standing misconception: Marvel could use the Skulls in the Marvel Cinematic Universe — they just can’t use all of them:
Marvel only partially owns Skrulls, and also for the record, we don’t own the Badoon either. So people were asking why we have the Sakaarans in the film, we don’t own the Badoon.

Newsarama 07 July 2016:
SKRULLS are 'Co-Owned' By MARVEL & FOX Says JAMES GUNN
George Marston wrote:Gunn has disclosed such details before, such as when he claimed that Kang the Conqueror falls under Fox's side of the agreement, but those these reports have gone unconfirmed.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Fantastic Four: Homecoming?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Den Of Geek 10/15/2015:
UPDATE: Fox Denies Fantastic Four Marvel Rumors
Ryan Lambie wrote:"More recently, we've also heard that Fox and Marvel have struck an unprecedented deal which will allow Fox to make two X-Men television series, Hellfire and Legion. Now, if you've been following the storied history of Marvel character rights, you'll know what a big deal this is, and that a considerable amount of behind-the-scenes bargaining must have taken place in order to make it happen.

Within the past few hours, we've been handed some information that may explain how Fox and Marvel arrived at that deal.

According to our source, Fox were given the TV rights for X-Men in exchange for Fantastic Four. The deal's been in the works for some time we're told. Further, the timing of Marvel's recent announcement of its movie slate leading up to the year 2020 and the X-Men TV series is no coincidence."

Variety JULY 12, 2016:
Marvel ‘X-Men’ Series from Matt Nix, Bryan Singer Lands Put Pilot Commitment at Fox (EXCLUSIVE)
Fox is entering the Marvel universe.
Elizabeth Wagmeister wrote:The network has made a put pilot commitment for a new “X-Men” action-adventure series, hailing from writer Matt Nix, Variety has learned exclusively.

The untitled series will focus on two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive.

20th Century Fox Television and Marvel Television will co-produce the series with 20th handling physical production. Nix will serve as exec producer with Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, plus Marvel’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory.

“Developing a Marvel property has been a top priority for the network — and we are so pleased with how Matt Nix has led us into this thrilling universe,” said David Madden, president, entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “There’s comic book adventure, emotional and complicated relationships and a rich, existing mythology from which to draw. With the brilliant production crew behind this project, it has all the makings of a big, fun and exciting new series.”

The project would mark the first Marvel series at Fox, which has had success in the comic book genre with “Gotham” and “Lucifer,” both of which hail from DC Comics. The network recently put a “Hellfire” series from Marvel into development, but Variety has learned that project is no longer moving forward.

“Working with Marvel on a television series for Fox has been a professional dream for our head of development, Michael Thorn, and all of us at the studio,” commented Jonathan Davis, president, creative affairs, 20th Century Fox Television. “Matt, Lauren, Bryan, Simon, Jeph and Jim are a powerhouse team of creative artists, and we can’t wait to get started on what will easily be one of this development season’s most exciting new projects.”

Loeb, Marvel’s head of television, added: “Marvel Television is thrilled to be co-producing with 20th Century Fox Television on our first project. Matt’s a huge fan of ‘X-Men’ and his take on ‘X-Men,’ with its rich characters and high-stakes adventure, is exactly the show we want on Fox. It’s a great team of creative producers who will be making something entirely unique.”

As for other Marvel properties, the studio has a large presence on broadcast, cable and streaming with ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD,” Netflix’s “Jessica Jones” and “Daredevil,” plus new upcoming shows “Luke Cage” at Netflix, Noah Hawley’s “Legion” at FX and “Cloak and Dagger” at Freeform. ABC’s “Agent Carter” was cancelled after two seasons, but the network is developing a top-secret John Ridley Marvel project.

The untitled Marvel project furthers Nix’s relationship with Fox. The “Burn Notice” creator is co-showrunner and writer on the network’s upcoming drama “APB,” which will debut midseason.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Captain Marvel'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:28 am

'Captain Marvel' Director Search Narrows (Exclusive)
Niki Caro, Lesli Linka Glatter and Lorene Scafaria are the top contenders.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Stan Lee: The Movie!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:55 am

THR:
Fox Buys Stan Lee Life Rights for 1970s-Set Action Adventure Movie (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Stan Lee's story is coming to the big screen.

Yes, the iconic creator of many of Marvel Comics' most beloved characters has made countless appearances in films. But this time, it’s a slice of Lee’s life that is getting the cinematic treatment — though not in the way you might expect.

Twentieth Century Fox, the studio behind the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises, has acquired Lee's life rights with a goal of creating a period action-adventure movie, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, the producers behind such movies as Twilight, The Maze Runner and the upcoming Power Rangers, are attached to produce what is described as being in the tone of Kingsman: The Secret Service or, as one insider put it, "Roger Moore’s 007."

Lee and Gil Champion, Lee's partner at POW! Entertainment, will executive produce the project.

The story of Lee has been well-documented. Lee, born Stanley Lieber, grew up poor in the Bronx and entered the comic book publishing world at the age of 17 in 1939, working for his uncle at Timely Comics.

Lee’s dream was to write the “great American novel,” and he was considering quitting when his wife, whom he considers the great love of his life, convinced him to give the comics one last shot.

Thus, in his 40s, Lee co-created The Fantastic Four, which launched the Marvel Age of comics. Lee, mostly with artists Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, created hero after hero — Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, among many others — revitalizing the decaying publishing house and changing the face of pop culture forever.

In the 1970s, Lee moved to Hollywood to pursue a dream of seeing his characters adapted for the big and small screens, and hobnobbed with the town's luminaries.

The project will be no biopic, but rather an adventure with Lee as the main character. Kingsman and Moore-era James Bond movies had dapper heroes who quipped one-liners — and, in Moore’s case, flirted with the ladies — as they sparred with larger-than-life evildoers.

No writer has been hired to flesh out the story, so the project's existing details could morph. Exec Matt Reilly is overseeing for Fox.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:43 am

/film:
Inhumans’ Movie “Will Happen For Sure”, Could Happen in Phase 4 Says Kevin Feige
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Why Do Marvel's Movies Look Kind of Ugly? (video essay)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:49 pm

That's a pretty interesting "video essay," as he calls it. This combined with the other recent video on temp tracks producing generally unmemorable scores helps explain why for a lot of us Marvel movies are (mostly) competent and entertaining but frustratingly short of greatness.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:38 am

Jeff Bridges Helped Rewrite 'Iron Man' at the Last Minute
"We read the script, and it wasn't really right," says the actor.
Aaron Couch wrote:Iron Man is one of the most influential comic book movies of all time — and Jeff Bridges says he played a bigger role than the villain.

The actor teamed up with director Jon Favreau and actor Robert Downey Jr. to rework the script with just weeks to go before shooting.

"Iron Man — we read the script, and it wasn't really right, you know? We had two weeks' rehearsal, and we basically rewrote the script," Bridges recalled during The Hollywood Reporter Actor Roundtable. "And the day before we were going to shoot, we get a call from the Marvel guy, saying, 'Oh, no, no, no. None of this is right.' So we would muster in my trailer and rehearse while the guys were in the studio tapping their foot, saying, 'When are they going to come?' We were still trying to figure out the [scenes] we were going to shoot."

Bridges' Obadiah Stane has the distinction of being the first chief villain of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and the speaker of one of its finest lines: "Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave!"). The actor said he wouldn't rule out doing another superhero film (he also starred in the ill-fated 2013 comic book adaptation R.I.P.D.).

"I really set out to not develop a strong persona and mix it up so the audience would have an easier time projecting whatever character I was playing," he says of the possibility of doing another superhero film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TheButcher's got the Marvel Scoops...(PHASE 3)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:53 am

ComicBook:
Ant-Man And The Wasp To Begin Pre-Production In Atlanta Soon

'Captain Marvel' Screenwriter on the Challenges of Bringing the Hero to the Big Screen
"There are things you wouldn’t think twice about Iron Man but you would think twice about for Captain Marvel," says Nicole Perlman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:09 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:17 am

TheButcher wrote:

Gawwwwwduuhhh, this movie just needs to come out already
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: The Inhumans - 'Marvel's Inhumans-verse'

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 pm

ScreenRant:
Captain Marvel Aims to Begin Filming in January 2018
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

MARVEL PHASE 4: FANT4STIC - Jack Kirby's 100 Birthday

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 am

Kevin Feige’s Goal is to Get All Marvel Characters Back
Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige absolutely wants to get all of the Marvel Comics characters back and into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

DC Announces Jack Kirby 100th Birthday One-Shots
This August, DC will celebrate the 100th anniversary of Jack Kirby's birth with a half-dozen one shots featuring some of his best-known characters.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:11 pm

TheButcher wrote:Image

I cannot believe that poster is real. I mean, I know that it IS real, but it's just hilariously bad. It looks like a high schooler's failed photoshop project. That's going to be hanging up in, like, movie theaters and shit! Have some goddamn self-respect, Marvel.

This, on the other hand, is badass:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Image

I cannot believe that poster is real. I mean, I know that it IS real, but it's just hilariously bad. It looks like a high schooler's failed photoshop project. That's going to be hanging up in, like, movie theaters and shit! Have some goddamn self-respect, Marvel.

shocker, I vehemently disagree with this pompous take on the Black Panther poster. :twisted: :-P you just don't get it, you're too young and too snarky to appreciate it for what it is. its like the cover of a late 70's or early 80's comic. I love it. I'm not the only one, either, I've seen a lot of positive response to it so far.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Peven wrote:you just don't get it, you're too young and too snarky to appreciate it for what it is. its like the cover of a late 70's or early 80's comic. I love it. I'm not the only one, either, I've seen a lot of positive response to it so far.

If you're talking about the concept of the poster, I feel like I get it and I'm completely onboard. But the execution is a disaster. If they *really* wanted to hearken back to a specific genre of covers or posters that were animated, they could have pulled a Guardians and animated the whole thing at least, not literally everything but poor Chadwick Boseman's hastily cropped-in floating head.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:52 pm

I don't know, I looked at it all blowed up and I think his facial hair along his lower jaw is what may be giving it that look to you. perhaps viewing it at smaller size isn't the best to critique it? I still say the design choices are sweet; the font, the colors, the architecture, the throne. this is a poster I would like to own, it would look great side by side by side with a Guardians poster and a Thor:Ragnarok poster.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:37 pm

I think it would have been better with the mask on, anyway. Here's a fanmade take that came out pretty well:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:05 am

somebody needs to tell Black Panther that manspreading is considered impolite nowadays.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:57 am

Baxter beat me to the joke..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :( :( :( :( :( :(

aside from that I like the fan work, too

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:50 am

Manspreading: outlawed in Madrid, celebrated in Wakanda
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Ribbons wrote:Manspreading: outlawed in Madrid, celebrated in Wakanda

Wakanada :wink:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:56 am

COLLIDER JULY 22, 2017:
‘Captain Marvel’ to Take Place in the 1990s; Villains Will Be the Skrulls
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jeremy Latcham

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:14 am

TheButcher wrote:Marvel's man is Tulsa native Jeremy Latcham, executive producer of 'Avengers' sequel
MICHAEL SMITH wrote:Jeremy Latcham spends much of his time hanging out with the coolest guys in the universe.

He was always popular. You don’t become student body president at Union High School, as the 1999 graduate was, without having a lot of friends.

But now he counts among his closest pals this lineup: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the Hulk. Not to mention Peter Quill, Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

Latcham is senior vice president of production development for Marvel Studios. He’s the executive producer of this summer’s most anticipated sequel, “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” as he was for the first film and also last summer’s hit “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Latcham is one of the major players in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

He’s one of Hollywood’s most respected young executives, and at 34, he’s already been part of Marvel’s braintrust for several years, becoming the on-set manager of 250-million-dollar productions.

This can mean umpteen-hour days and spending months on end with his wife out of the country for shooting (11 months in London, Italy, South Korea and more on “Age of Ultron”).

And yet, when he talks Marvel movies, he still has the youthful enthusiasm of a teen planning a pep rally for Union’s Friday night football game.
So who are his best buds, the fun bunch: the Avengers or the Guardians?

“Oh, wow, they are so different that I think of them like (“Guardians” director) James Gunn does, that if the Avengers are the Beatles, the Guardians of the Galaxy are the Rolling Stones,” Latcham said in a phone interview last week.

“The Avengers get to do things that you can’t do in any other movies, with these gigantic set pieces that are earned because you have such iconic characters,” he said.

“ ‘Guardians’ was such a risk, with no idea how people were going to respond to it, and I ended up at a place where I thought, ‘I want people to love this as much as I do,’ you know?” he said of the film full of unknown characters that the public embraced completely.

Getting to the bottom line: Which of these groups, at the end of the day, is Latcham hanging out with and having a beer?

“Well, it’s probably the Avengers because I’ve known them for so long, and they are a pretty fun-loving group,” Latcham said of the heroes last seen following up a winning battle for control of the universe with a sit-down dinner of shawarma all around in “The Avengers” post-credit scene.

“It’s funny to be talking about this because there is this great scene in the first act of ‘Age of Ultron’ that finds them all having beers, and you really feel that camaraderie. That’s what I’m talking about.”

Latcham’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” responsibilities extend well beyond filming to include marketing concepts and post-production efforts and movie premieres.

He attended the latest premiere with his three favorite ladies: his wife, Aileen Erin, the author of the popular young-adult series of “Alpha Girl” books; his mom, Kristi Latcham, No. 1 cheerleader of his career, along with his dad, Greg; and his grandmother Doris Hopper who still lives in Oklahoma in Perkins.

“Seeing my grandmother walk down that red carpet and meet the stars — she couldn’t believe it, and I just loved it. She had such a good time,” Latcham said.

He added how thrilled he was to include her in the event following the recent death of his grandfather John Hopper, a career educator who assisted in forming the first vo-tech schools in Oklahoma and who served as superintendent of Central Vo-Tech in Drumright for more than a quarter century.

“He was very important to me and a really big influence on my life,” Latcham said.

“I’ll always remember him telling me that I could do anything, and he didn’t think my idea to try to make movies in California was crazy at all.”

From helping out on filming a Mazzio’s Pizza Dippers commercial in Tulsa to interning at indie studio Miramax to winning a car on “The Price is Right” to pay for a second Hollywood summer internship — he has his own great Hollywood story — Latcham has climbed the ladder quickly and confirmed his grandfather’s faith in his abilities.

He’s earned his stripes as one of the key Marvel lieutenants working for Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios. Latcham is increasingly the Marvel representative who talks to the media about Marvel films.

His words reveal his knowledge of that universe but no secrets.

So what’s new in this “Avengers” movie? To start with, a breathless beginning. They are the Avengers, and they apparently need no introduction after their mega-success first film.

“The movie starts off with an action-packed scene, and they are all together helping each other in battle, and it is epic,” Latcham said.

“That first shot is continuous for like 1 minute, 20 seconds of just nonstop action, and it is incredible.”

He’s excited about the film’s heart, action and surprises. He’s thrilled with the work of writer-director Joss Whedon, and he paid an ultimate compliment to the man who’s moving on to other projects after directing both “Avengers” films.

“I think he writes the best version of Thor. I think he writes the best version of Captain America. That’s how good he is,” Latcham said of Whedon’s distinctive voice.

“I’ve spent much of the last five years with him, so it’s going to be weird to not be getting calls and texts from Joss about the movie.”

Latcham will move on to spend the better part of the next few years working on the sequels.

He said he will continue as executive producer on “Avengers: Infinity War — Part I” and its sequel, the third and fourth films teaming up Marvel’s superheroes and set for 2018 and 2019.

The two movies will film back-to-back in Atlanta, meaning several more years that Latcham will spend with his friends in high places — like Asgard and beyond.

'Age of Ultron' Producer on Film's Ending: 'People Are Going to Say, "Oh My God!"
Marvel producer Jeremy Latcham says the Avengers movies could go on indefinitely, telling Yahoo Movies: “We could stay here forever. It’s fun. Why would you leave?”

Kevin Feige & Jeremy Latcham Give More Character Backstory to Captain America: Civil War

TheWrap July 28, 2017:
Jeremy Latcham to Leave Marvel for 20th Century Fox Deal (Exclusive)
Latcham is an early mastermind of modern MCU, starting with 2008’s “Iron Man”
Matt Donnelly wrote:Top Marvel Studios executive Jeremy Latcham is leaving his post for an overall production deal at 20th Century Fox, two individuals familiar with the move told TheWrap.

Latcham, who was most recently credited on the blockbuster “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” will produce original films through his own company set up at the studio, the insiders said.

Latcham’s transition is expected to happen by September. Representatives for Fox and Marvel did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Currently serving as Marvel’s Senior Vice President of Production and Development, Latcham is one of the earliest architects of the modern Marvel Cinematic Universe.

He started as a producer on Robert Downey Jr.’s “Iron Man” series and climbed the ranks to EP on “The Avengers” and its sequel “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” He also shepherded the successful launch of the “Guardians of the Galaxy” series, starring Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana.

With plenty of above-the-line talent pondering when to step away from the billion-dollar Disney property, it’s safe to assume legacy producers would look ahead as a new block of Marvel films like Brie Larson’s “Captain Marvel” takes shape.

The current, core Marvel superhero nexus stars Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye and Mark Ruffalo as The Incredible Hulk.

Marvel Studios is run by its president, Kevin Feige. 20th Century Fox is lead by Film Chairman and CEO Stacey Snider, and President of Production Emma Watts.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News