TheButcher's got the Marvel Scoops...(PHASE 3)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

TheButcher's got the Marvel Scoops...(PHASE 3)

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:24 pm

Just some news about the future film franchises over at Marvel. Please sweet merciful mcgillicuddy, no Tom Cruise as Tony Stark.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=8203
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:27 pm

According to Arad, THOR will be the LORD OF THE RINGS of comic book films.

Oh let it be. I am dying for a cool Walt Simonson inspired Thor movie. Just the thought makes me cream.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:30 pm

Who should direct/write?

For Thor that is.???

Steven Soderberg could handle a film that big, give him the right script and he'd do wonders?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:45 pm

Haha... that would be brilliant JL, but I doubt Soderberg would touch it. If I had to make an oddball suggestion, I would love to see Wes Anderson tackle something huge like this. Thor could use some of his humor, but its kind of a dumb idea.

If I could pick any director on the planet: Chan-wook Park.

Any writer? Lawrence Kasdan circa 1982 with a polish by Joss Whedon circa 1995.

And no one gave me yays or nays on Aaron Eckhart as Thor. With Brendan Gleason as Odin... droooooooooool.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:55 pm

Aaron Eckhart has got that weird chin thing going (i'm one to talk) but he's a fine actor, I still think they will cast John Cena from WWE.
Viggo?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:59 pm

for Thor...how 'bout John McTiernan? Or was I the only one who thought he elevated the 13th Warrior above the utter tripe that Crichton normally writes? P.J. would be an obvious choice.

Off topic here, but I think the only two directors who could do the Transformers justice would be Cameron (obviously) and Lucas. George has a love for the mechanical world, the FX would be top of the line, and we wouldn't have to worry 'bout him directing actors. SKG owns the rights to Transformers, no? Combine Spielberg and Lucas, this time with Spielbergo producing for Lucas and we've got cinema gold. My only other choice to direct it would be Oshii, but I don't think anyone would give that loon $150mil.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Whoa that is off topic. You just gave me whiplash buddy. I'll see YOU in the evil bastard's forum! Consider yourself slapped with a grey velvety glove.

And John McTiernan would be okay, but I don't think he is out of movie prison for Rollerball. But I wouldn't really trust him with it unless someone delivered a killer script and you had someone like Tom DeSanto shepherding the movie along by shooting McTeirnan in the head "A Good Man Is Hard To Find"-style with a .22.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:09 pm

Yeah I actually quite like 13th Warrior, I bought an ex rental copy on DVD for a couple of quid and I always end up showing it to people who haven't seen it, everybody enjoys it and the fact that I've seen it half a dozen times is testament to the fact that it ain't as bad as people made out.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:12 pm

John-Locke wrote:Aaron Eckhart has got that weird chin thing going (i'm one to talk) but he's a fine actor, I still think they will cast John Cena from WWE.
Viggo?

Does anyone really like Viggo? And what is wrong with Eckhart's chin? Kirk Fucking Douglas had a chin like that and he was Spartacus! Besides Viggo is too slight. I actually think Eckhart would be physically perfect, but I imagine too old for a Marvel movie. I have been wracking my brain trying to think of a bulky (or could be bulky) younger blondish actor who could pull this off and nothing really comes to mind.

And sorry, but I found 13th Warrior to be terrible. The last half didn't make a lick of sense to me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Nothing is wrong with Eckharts chin, it's just that Thor doesn't have a dimple in his chin in the comics, and if Echart took the role I't wouldn't be as Iconic to me, other than that I think it's the best idea I've heard.

How about Stiffler? Sean scott williams (???)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:29 pm

Too goofy.

Its weird that Silver Surfer wasn't mentioned in this article. I wonder if David O. Russel is really interested.

Also anyone wish they would just introduce Silver Surfer in FF like he was introduced in the comics THEN spin him off? If they tell Galactus' story, are they going to use fucking Nova? Oh who am I kidding... we will never see Galactus onscreen.

I don't really care about Silver Surfer anyway. I don't even know who his enemies are.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:35 pm

Okay I got it bitches:

Josh Lucas : Thor
Brendan Gleason : Odin
Matt Damon : Loki
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:57 pm

I was about to say Sawyer from Lost but I like Lucas too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:00 pm

Sawyer is a good idea... think he can lose that drawl?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:02 pm

He's an actor darling of course he can lose the drawl .
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:10 pm

I prefer darlink.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:12 pm

Whatever sweetie pie.

Unless darlink means someting I have no idea about?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:32 am

The only problem with a the Sawyer is a his shoulders droop a little too much, eh? Thor needs more of a the classic "V" shape.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby banthafodderUK on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:05 am

Thor's cool - but Marvel need to slow down a little I think. It's like an 'okay' comicbookmovie machine at the moment- we all know the potential for these films, I liked F4 before you say anything, but reading about all these heroes for so long kind of makes me expect more. Does that make sense?
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:48 am

Yes and it confuses me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:49 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Does anyone really like Viggo?

My wife loves him. She bought a used copy of "A Walk on the Moon," but still watches it when it comes on TV. She's started a Viggo queue on Netflix.
And sorry, but I found 13th Warrior to be terrible. The last half didn't make a lick of sense to me.

I can't watch "The 13th Warrior" but, again, my wife loves it -- all those bearded, long-haired guys. (I had hair to my waist for several years, and have had a big beard, though now it's fairly tame.) I think the damned thing looses what power the book has by ignoring an important plot point -- that the eaters might be surviving Neanderthals.

I wonder how awful it would have been if Crichton hadn't done reshoots?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby docfalken on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:58 am

Viggo is really good. I even love his performance in GI Jane. Right at the end, when he's got the cane, and turns over his shoulder to look back. I melt everytime.

A Marvel LOTR? Man, I can't wait to see Asgard. They better make sure they spend $150 mill on this one.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:03 pm

Hmmm... I just realized it would be kind of cool to see George Lucas tackle Thor... with someone else handling the script though.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:50 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:And no one gave me yays or nays on Aaron Eckhart as Thor.

I'd rather see Eckhart as Ozymandias in WATCHMEN.

And for some reason I can't get the idea of Vincent Ventresca playing Loki out of my head...
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:52 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:And no one gave me yays or nays on Aaron Eckhart as Thor.

I'd rather see Eckhart as Ozymandias in WATCHMEN.

And for some reason I can't get the idea of Vincent Ventresca playing Loki out of my head...

He seems kind of TV-ish, but the look is right. And no one commented on it, but you guys do know that Matt Damon was a joke right? Not that he wouldn't make a good Loki, but you he already--oh never mind.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby docfalken on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Christian Bale as Loki?
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:56 pm

Well that is a bad ass suggestion... this may be way off base and probably based on my stick, but did anyone ever get a homoerotic thing between Thor and Loki? I mean he always wanted to ENSLAVE Thor. Just seems weird and kind of Dumbledore in an ACTUAL creepy Dumbledore way. Bale could totally pull that off, but I doubt he will be appearing in any Marvel property in like ever.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:48 pm

My friend, who isn't even a comic book fan recommended this guy for Thor: Brian Van Holt.

I can totally see that.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:23 pm

Yeah I could see that guy as Thor Burl, I wonder how tall he is though?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:26 pm

IMDB says 6'1".
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:40 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:My friend, who isn't even a comic book fan recommended this guy for Thor: Brian Van Holt.

I can totally see that.

Have you guys seen him act? Wooooden. He's pretty much played every character the same way in Confidence, Windtalkers, Basic, and SWAT.

I'm a big fan of Aaron Eckhart in Erin Brockovich. He could be pretty cool.

And Vin Diesel still wants Silver Surfer. Bleh...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:43 pm

Thats not that tall, I'm six foot, and I don't consider my self that tall. Thor should be about 6'6" at least, maybe they can do a camera trick to make him look bigger? or does it really matter that much?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:45 pm

Dude... anyone over 6'2" is some kind of circus freak anyway. If they can make Tom Cruise look taller than Dakota Fanning, I think Brian Van Holt would do.

And how hard could it be to act like Thor, Whedon?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:25 pm

Somebody needs to put this guy in a Superhero movie, worlds strongest man Marius Pudzianowski, he has a great intensity to him, truly one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's a bit on the short side though.

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:03 am

John-Locke what about a role in HULK 2?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:40 am

Yeah maybe you could get hyim to play a bad guy, was Abomination a Hulk villain? I can't remember.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:57 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Okay I got it bitches:

Josh Lucas : Thor
Brendan Gleason : Odin
Matt Damon : Loki

No, no, no.

Josh Lucas is Steve Rogers/Captain America. Make it so, number one.

Triple H from the WWE is Thor. (LOL!!!!)

Seriously, if he was younger, I'd give Thor to Brad Pitt. Now however, I don't think so.
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:57 am

John-Locke wrote:Somebody needs to put this guy in a Superhero movie, worlds strongest man Marius Pudzianowski, he has a great intensity to him, truly one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's a bit on the short side though.

If they make an Alpha Flight movie, he could be Puck. He just has to grow some hair.

EDIT: If they ever have to re-cast Colossus, he's the man I'd choose too.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:42 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Somebody needs to put this guy in a Superhero movie, worlds strongest man Marius Pudzianowski, he has a great intensity to him, truly one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's a bit on the short side though.

If they make an Alpha Flight movie, he could be Puck. He just has to grow some hair.

EDIT: If they ever have to re-cast Colossus, he's the man I'd choose too.

Hey, isn't that Grando?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:44 pm

If you ask Grando, I'm sure he'd say yes.

NO TOM CRUISE FOR TONY STARK!! I love Iron Man, Cruise is a douchebag, please don't do this. The only benefit I can see out of it would be that if Cruise were starring there would be no chance of Iron Man slipping into B-Movie territory insofar as the budget, etc is concerned.

We need a good looking guy who can play a millionaire playboy with emotional issues and a lot more going on in his head than meets the eye...how about Christian Ba....DAMMIT!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:39 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:If you ask Grando, I'm sure he'd say yes.

NO TOM CRUISE FOR TONY STARK!! I love Iron Man, Cruise is a douchebag, please don't do this. The only benefit I can see out of it would be that if Cruise were starring there would be no chance of Iron Man slipping into B-Movie territory insofar as the budget, etc is concerned.

We need a good looking guy who can play a millionaire playboy with emotional issues and a lot more going on in his head than meets the eye...how about Christian Ba....DAMMIT!

I still think Nic Cage could have done it 5 to 10 years ago. Slap a toup and a little mustache on him and he would have looked like the classic Don Heck period Tony Stark. Now he's too bald and has lost the intensity he had in the '90s.

TOM CRUISE?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:45 pm

yeah, no Tom Cruise. If they want a big name guy to do it, maybe George Clooney? I'm hesitant to put him in a superhero part ever again, and I don't think he'd be perfect for it, but I think he'd be better than Cruise

Other possible big-name Stark actors:
Leo DiCaprio (he's already done Hughes whom Stark has been modeled after over the years)
Kevin Spacey- doesn't have the natural look, but has the acting chops and the ego to play the character
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:55 pm

I'll throw two casting suggestions out there for Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Josh Lucas or Aaron Eckhart.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:57 pm

Tom Cruise is seven kinds of lame. Katie Holmes would make a better Iron Man than that jackwad.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:58 pm

John-Locke wrote:I'll throw two casting suggestions out there for Tony Stark/Iron Man.

WTF? Are you trying to ruin my Thor movie? Why don't you just go ahead and cast Brendan Gleeson as Rhodes?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:59 pm

Burl- agreed

Locke- I could see Lucas doing it, if they want a younger look for Stark.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:40 pm

John-Locke wrote:Yeah maybe you could get hyim to play a bad guy, was Abomination a Hulk villain? I can't remember.

Yes he was.
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/frankenstein/303/imhul178.html
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:41 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I'll throw two casting suggestions out there for Tony Stark/Iron Man.

WTF? Are you trying to ruin my Thor movie? Why don't you just go ahead and cast Brendan Gleeson as Rhodes?

Amended casting:

Avery Brooks or Eric La Salle as Rhodes/War Machine.
Joaquin Phoenix as Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Josh Lucas as Captain America.
Denzel Washington as Nick Fury.

Hugo Weaving or Jude Law as Namor.

Til Schweiger or Kip Pardue as Thor.
Arnold as Odin.
Matthew McConaughey as Loki.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:41 pm

TheButcher wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Yeah maybe you could get hyim to play a bad guy, was Abomination a Hulk villain? I can't remember.

Yes he was.

Why are the Hulk's eyes glowing red?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:44 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
TheButcher wrote:

Yes he was.

Why are the Hulk's eyes glowing red?

Gamma induced heat vision. Issue #123, Volume 2 man! COME ON!!! KNOW YOUR HULK!!!

:)
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Next

Return to Movie News