Page 1 of 2

A general notice on promoting your film...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 pm
by Adam Balm
Okay, today for the second time, someone has registered under different accounts and started threads pretending to be eager fans, all in an attempt to promote their films.

So to all interested:

1) We have a forum called the struggling filmmaker's forum, to tell everyone about how great your upcoming work is, to get feedback from your fellow film buffs, and to make connections with others in the industry.
2) Your signatures are your billboards. Make use of them.
3) We can see your IPs, so we can tell when you register under multiple identities all saying 'Man, I can't wait for this movie!', and 'yeah, dude! I know!' replying to yourself over and over. Also it doesn't take a genius to realize what's going on when everyone posting on a thread pimping a movie, has registered within hours from eachother and have one post to their name. It's called being a 'sock puppet' and it's obnoxious and disrespectful and it violates the rules and spirit of this board. Spam disguised as news is not a good idea in general. Harry or Moriarty have this happen to them all the time, they aren't going to be fooled by you.

Thanks everyone else for obeying the rules, and my apologies to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:49 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Anna remember....

NOBODY likes a the sock puppet.













Except a this a guy:
Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:02 am
by Nachokoolaid
That's disturbing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:02 am
by Chairman Kaga
Harry is starring in my nightmares tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:43 am
by Tyrone_Shoelaces
I made a sock puppet movie in college. Amazingly, I wasn't thrown out of the program.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:42 am
by Shane
???

is this in reference to a certain post?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:27 am
by Adam Balm
It's in reference to a series of threads. The most recent has been deleted. There's no need to publicly embarrass anyone by specifying exactly which threads, but they know who they are.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:52 pm
by thebostonlocksmith
Adam Balm wrote:There's no need to publicly embarrass anyone by specifying exactly which threads, but they know who they are.



I reckon it's this guy ^^ (Not the balm) the other one, which has now dissapeared.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:22 am
by Adam Balm
If you mean Tstreet, he posted it in the Struggling Filmmaker's Forum, which is all in line with the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:40 am
by thebostonlocksmith
No it was a weird name adego70 or something that made no real sense to me... He's been chucking that bastard up everywhere...

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:40 am
by tstreet
Adam Balm wrote:If you mean Tstreet, he posted it in the Struggling Filmmaker's Forum, which is all in line with the rules.


Thanks Man, Yeah I obey the guidelines, I made that mistake when i first joined, not again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:46 am
by Adam Balm
thebostonlocksmith wrote:No it was a weird name adego70 or something that made no real sense to me... He's been chucking that bastard up everywhere...


If you can link me to a post when he does this, I can delete it and ban him if he has broken the rules.

Re: Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:23 am
by havocSchultz
tstreet wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:If you mean Tstreet, he posted it in the Struggling Filmmaker's Forum, which is all in line with the rules.


Thanks Man, Yeah I obey the guidelines, I made that mistake when i first joined, not again.




Where's my T-Shirt?!?!?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:02 pm
by ONeillSG1
Adanpotedbas wrote:wow!
MOD EDIT TO REMOVE LINK
regards, Adanpotedbas


F'N SHILL!!!

DIE!!!

Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:22 pm
by Bob Samonkey
Good bye Adanpotedbas! We hardly new ye!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:24 pm
by ONeillSG1
I think he lasted 15 minutes, which is oddly enough the amount of fame alotted to idiots like him.

Cool. Whedon with the block!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:31 pm
by MasterWhedon
FUCK SPAMMERS!





...that is all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:40 pm
by Bob Samonkey
I think he was drawn here by Britney's who-who. Thats all I am saying

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:09 pm
by ONeillSG1
Who?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 am
by Onemanarmy
Britney Spears Jerking!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 am
by TheBaxter
is anyone enjoying the irony of this as much as me?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:47 am
by MonkeyM666
BA! It's just a stylistic exercise...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:48 am
by havocSchultz
I hear the remake sucks...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:50 am
by thebostonlocksmith
havocSchultz wrote:I hear the remake sucks...


and blows...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:16 pm
by Madcapper
I cannot find the message i just posted about a certain project that I will not names this time, and I wonder if that is the one you removed. If you did, I can assure you I am only seeking information here, that i cannot fine elsewhere. I registered today, and have not been registered before,so I doubt it is me. How then, can I find back to messages i recently posted..? Any help to someone new to the zone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:19 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
Is this what you are looking for?

If you are promoting a film you should post in the Shameless Promotion forum, otherwise it'll just be moved there anyway (as this one was)

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=69349&highlight=

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:20 pm
by Seppuku
Also, if you want to see what posts you've made, just click on your name.



(Future tip: start that kind of thread in The Struggling Filmmakers Room in future, that way it'll get bumped to the top 15. All you need to do is re-word the post a little. The Shameless Promotion Room is a creative graveyard.... Don't tell the Mods I told you this though, k?)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Also, if you want to see what posts you've made, just click on your name.



(Future tip: start that kind of thread in The Struggling Filmmakers Room in future, that way it'll get bumped to the top 15. All you need to do is re-word the post a little. The Shameless Promotion Room is a creative graveyard.... Don't tell the Mods I told you this though, k?)


Good tip. If you make US move it...it'll get moved into Shameless Promotion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:35 pm
by Madcapper
Well, I would like to know how a forum called "moive news" works, when someone seeking news about a movie, is answered with an accusation of beeing someone who know all there is to know about it in the first place?

Or maybe I am in a forum where only those who knows something gets to post messages?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:36 pm
by Madcapper
Thank you for all the tips though..:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 pm
by Pacino86845
No, it's a forum where someone pretending to be seeking news about a student film, and posting a link to an outside website, will get their thread placed in The Shameless Promotion Room section of the forum, savvy?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
Madcapper wrote:Well, I would like to know how a forum called "moive news" works, when someone seeking news about a movie, is answered with an accusation of beeing someone who know all there is to know about it in the first place?

Or maybe I am in a forum where only those who knows something gets to post messages?


That would be ideal.

Your post was blatant promotion, and you know it. That's where promotion goes. It's not deleted, it goes into Shameless Promotion. You may have posed a question in your post, but the post was intended to draw people to the website you posted. Please post any future promotional materals there. If not, you will be banned.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:47 pm
by Madcapper
OK..I see I cannot get anywhere on this point. I am sorry I posted a link in my message, and it will not happen again. Although it is frustrating, I do applogise for an incorrectly written message. I will try to take my enthusiasm and search elsewhere, and if I do find what I seek, I will be happy to post it here, if I can find a way to relay it without beeing banned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
Madcapper wrote:OK..I see I cannot get anywhere on this point. I am sorry I posted a link in my message, and it will not happen again. Although it is frustrating, I do applogise for an incorrectly written message. I will try to take my enthusiasm and search elsewhere, and if I do find what I seek, I will be happy to post it here, if I can find a way to relay it without beeing banned.


sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:52 pm
by Seppuku
Madcapper wrote:OK..I see I cannot get anywhere on this point. I am sorry I posted a link in my message, and it will not happen again. Although it is frustrating, I do applogise for an incorrectly written message. I will try to take my enthusiasm and search elsewhere, and if I do find what I seek, I will be happy to post it here, if I can find a way to relay it without beeing banned.


There IS a way, my child! It's called posting it in the correct forum.

:roll:

:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:54 pm
by havocSchultz
All of Sepp's posts in this thread SCREAM of Shameless Promotion...

Here's a genius tip from Sepp - here's another great and helpful tip from Sepp...

Shape up!!!

Or SHIP OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 pm
by chicagobat
So what should we do if we're not "struggling" but press releases to AICN are not responded to regarding a prominent fanfilm other media outlets are paying attention to?

What parameters does AICN select in what's worth reporting to the fan community here so that people actually discover without having to go dig for information in an area that's been designated for people "struggling" and then hoping it's found by anyone who bothers visiting that area?

It does seem to go against the grain of independent spirit making such divisions between what merits top level vs. basement level attention when someone who wants to share their work with the community and make sure they find the news.

Just curious.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:39 pm
by King Of Nowhere
Making a fan film goes against independent spirit too.
There's nothing independent about using someone else's characters in your own film.

At the end of the day, if you are the one pimping your stuff, you are a struggling film maker.
If fans are pimping your stuff, you're not.

You're pimping your own stuff.
So it belongs in the "struggling artists" room.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:07 am
by chicagobat
I guess indies wouldn't have to "pimp" their own stuff, if "indie" sites weren't being run by star f'ers that don't pay attention or respond to PR submissions unless they're from big studios?

Although your point contradicts the embracing of another fanfilm on this site several years ago called "Batman: Dead End". I don't remember Sandy Collora having to "pimp" it or argue it's merits with something he wanted to share with fans.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:51 pm
by King Of Nowhere
If Sandy posted a link to it in the zone back in the day, it would've gone in the shameless promotion room.
Actually it wouldn't have, the zone didn't exist back then.
But that's not the point.

You're on a message board trying to get people to watch your stuff & complaining that the main site wont run an article on it.
Do you honestly think it doesn't belong in the struggling film makers room?


While we're on the subject of Batman fan films, Grayson kicked a whole lot of ass.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:17 am
by chicagobat
Sandy wouldn't have had to post a link because his press release to the site was read and it was covered as a relevant story and shared with the fan community here when it was made:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/15721

Do your research before passing judgment idiot.

My POINT was that these days, it appears that news releases about indies outside the realm of studios submitted to the site for potential coverage are either ignored, or go unresponded to, which is why indies seem to be forced to "pimp" their films the disapproval of guys like you.

That's okay though. Other sites that aren't just taking payola in the form of set visits and perks are covering it.

Thank you, please drive through.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:20 am
by havocSchultz
chicagobat wrote:Sandy wouldn't have had to post a link because his press release to the site was read and it was covered as a relevant story and shared with the fan community here when it was made:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/15721

Do your research before passing judgment idiot.


My POINT was that these days, it appears that news releases about indies outside the realm of studios submitted to the site for potential coverage are either ignored, or go unresponded to, which is why indies seem to be forced to "pimp" their films the disapproval of guys like you.

That's okay though. Other sites that aren't just taking payola in the form of set visits and perks are covering it.

Thank you, please drive through.


Maybe some sites won't post the story because you go around calling people idiots...

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:33 am
by papalazeru
Dammit! Missed him again, he never answered my question in his thread for that film that shall not be named.

So, not only do you moan about not being on the main site, you MOAN about being in a place where other people post their fan films and what not.

Complain all you want but that is the right place for it.

Were you as vehement with old red and the crew? I'm wondering whether that was why it never got posted.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:03 pm
by King Of Nowhere
chicagobat wrote:Sandy wouldn't have had to post a link because his press release to the site was read and it was covered as a relevant story and shared with the fan community here when it was made:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/15721

Do your research before passing judgment idiot.

My POINT was that these days, it appears that news releases about indies outside the realm of studios submitted to the site for potential coverage are either ignored, or go unresponded to, which is why indies seem to be forced to "pimp" their films the disapproval of guys like you.

That's okay though. Other sites that aren't just taking payola in the form of set visits and perks are covering it.

Thank you, please drive through.


The main site & the zone are two separate things. So maybe you're the one who should be doing the research.

& btw, name calling doesn't fly here.
We're not the TBs.

Re:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:43 pm
by Archive
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I made a sock puppet movie in college. Amazingly, I wasn't thrown out of the program.


Was that the stop motion sock puppet movie where the sock gets lost and winds up in the sock disco? My friend went to USC and I saw a pretty great sock puppet movie during one of her screenings.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:02 pm
by Archive
On the topic under discussion between Chicagobat and the mods, I have an observation that may prove fruitful for discourse...

...and I make it as an up and coming genre filmmaker myself, with some minor noteworthy credits.

The Zone is a community. This is not an information resource for fans. This is a community of fans.

The information resource you're looking for is AICN. If you want to distribute news, submit it to AICN. Your press release will be reviewed for it's relevance and interest, and posted or not as the admins see fit.

If you want to interact with the community, this is the place to do it. And I'll tell you what's more - if you're a constructive member of the community, and you publish in Shameless Promotion or Struggling Filmmakers, community members will read it to see what you have to say.

If you're only here to use the community as a tool for making money or professional progress - why then yes, you are expected to sit in the corner with a dunce cap.

As an aside to the King of No, thank you for calling out fan art (and by extension content licensing) as the creative limbo it is - you're a man after my own heart!

Creators and fans both deserve new stuff to geek out about. Finding and sharing and celebrating that new stuff is exactly what I personally hope to get from this community, in fact.

Just please, nobody ask me to read any more zombie western scripts.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:17 pm
by Archive
Also, to the Moo, thanks for making this conversation funny.

I hope the distinction I make here helps clear the issue - the Zone isn't a place for geeks to find new content, exactly. It's a place for geeks to find each other.

Innuendo aside, this is Netiquette basics.

As someone with an interest in buildng an audience myself, I suggest learning from those who do it right. The reason why filmmakers like PJ and El Gordo tend to give exclusive scoops is because their internet information spreads forth from the communities they most enjoy being a part of. Focus on finding THAT, and when you have something cool to share, there will be folks who will support you - because of the support you've shown them, and because you have something in common.

The geeks you like will also probably like your stuff. Don't think of the internet as a marketing tool. Think of it as an equalizer - something that makes film distribution more like a college club party than a political campaign.

When putting together a party for a college campus organization, who do you invite first? Your friends.

Make friends.

Can you dig it?

Re: Re:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:08 am
by Tyrone_Shoelaces
Archive wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I made a sock puppet movie in college. Amazingly, I wasn't thrown out of the program.


Was that the stop motion sock puppet movie where the sock gets lost and winds up in the sock disco? My friend went to USC and I saw a pretty great sock puppet movie during one of her screenings.

Nope, that wasn't me. Sounds like fun though.

Re: A general notice on promoting your film....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:05 pm
by Archive
It surely was!

Re: A general notice on promoting your film...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:14 pm
by ufoclub1977
Adam Balm wrote:Okay, today for the second time, someone has registered under different accounts and started threads pretending to be eager fans, all in an attempt to promote their films.

So to all interested:

1) We have a forum called the struggling filmmaker's forum, to tell everyone about how great your upcoming work is, to get feedback from your fellow film buffs, and to make connections with others in the industry.
2) Your signatures are your billboards. Make use of them.
3) We can see your IPs, so we can tell when you register under multiple identities all saying 'Man, I can't wait for this movie!', and 'yeah, dude! I know!' replying to yourself over and over. Also it doesn't take a genius to realize what's going on when everyone posting on a thread pimping a movie, has registered within hours from eachother and have one post to their name. It's called being a 'sock puppet' and it's obnoxious and disrespectful and it violates the rules and spirit of this board. Spam disguised as news is not a good idea in general. Grande Rojo or Moriarty have this happen to them all the time, they aren't going to be fooled by you.

Thanks everyone else for obeying the rules, and my apologies to you.


Wait, I posted about my short video contest entry a month ago, and it got moved to some sort of promotional thread, not the struggling filmmaker's forum...

mod edit - corrected. moved to struggling filmmaker forum