The Great Raid

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

The Great Raid

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:57 pm

Story about a raid in 1945 in the Phillipines by a Ranger Batallion attempting to liberate American POWs from the Japanese. Ben Bratt and Joseph Fiennes star. This comes out on Friday. I love war movies when they are good and detest them when they are bad. I have a co-worker whose dad was one of those POWs saved, so I'd like to go see the movie, but I'd also heard that somehow a love story has been crammed in, so I've got some Pearl Harbor-anxiety. Has anyone seen an advance screening of this, or heard anything??
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:07 pm

Donna worry, the love story, she between Ben Bratt anna Joe Fienees. It's a gonna be totally different than a the Pearl Harbor!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:08 pm

I know it's been in the can for something like a year now and its release has been pushed around. Can't speak to the quality, but I really like John Dahl as a filmmaker. I love Rounders and found Joy Ride to be a surprisingly effective, scary-as-hell thriller. I'll probably wait to Netflix this one tough.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:09 pm

I'd heard that it was initially slated for 2004 too, but I'm hoping that the delay may have been more due to the Miramax/Weinstein pissing match than due to the quality of the film. I'll probably go see it, but maybe a matinee.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Kill Me Again, Red Rock West, The Last Seduction...after that...well, um...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:41 pm

Any movie with Benjamin Bratt is worth waiting for the cable premiere!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:05 pm

Check out this interview Ebert does with Dahl. He seemed to enjoy the movie, though the full review won't be up until Friday:http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050807/PEOPLE/50808001
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Rav on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:39 pm

I watched it this weekend at the open-sneak. It was a very bland war movie. though don't get me wrong, i'm a sucker for just about any man-on-a-mission war movie. it was just very flat. Nothing goes wrong ever in the movie, it's a movie on the most "successful" raid ever. A few things occur in the end, but it feels really forced and test screened like mad. I was hoping for much more from dahl's biggest budgeter yet (70+ million). I hope it doesnt keep him from being able to get financing again, just hope he'll rewrite the script a few more times. It made me really wish to see a john milius version of the movie or something.
Rav
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Return to Movie News