Sub-Mariner

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Sub-Mariner

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:17 pm

FIVE REASONS WHY UNIVERSAL PICTURES NEEDS TO HURRY UP AND MAKE A NAMOR MOVIE
Andrew Wheeler wrote:#5 Superman vs Kaiju

And then there's the Horn of Proteus. Namor pre-dates the Fantastic Four, but returned to prominence in that book's pages at a time when Marvel was bridging the gap between its 1950s monster comics and its 1960s superhero comics. The revived Namor brought with him a horn that could summon giant underwater monsters, and thus the mythology of Marvel's Atlantis includes its own kaiju.

Now, Pacific Rim was a bigger hit overseas than in the US, and giant monster movies have a slightly spotty box office history, but surely no-one could deny the appeal of a movie that pairs superheroes with giant monsters? Heck, the Avengers movie tried it, and those Chitauri space worms were nowhere near as cool as a Kirbyesque whale-beast, or a scaly seven-headed elder god.

Namor is basically a sexy Hulk who wrestles Godzillas. What's not to love?

Unfortunately there is one reason Universal should not make a Namor movie...

#6 Time is Running Out

Last year Marvel's Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada remarked that he thought the rights to Namor had already reverted to Marvel. He was wrong. It seems reasonable to infer that the rights may revert back soon, in which case Marvel might integrate Namor into its cinematic universe just as it plans to do with the Daredevil TV show on Netflix.

I would prefer a unified Marvel universe. I want Namor to be part of the same world as the Avengers, side-by-side with Thor and Iron Man and, one day, Dr Strange. If Universal won't hurry up and make a Namor movie, I hope the rights hurry up and lapse.

Marvel hasn't announced its plans for 2016. If Universal can't give us a Namor movie by then, I hope Marvel can.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Universal Sets Date for Secret Legendary Tentpole
Tatiana Siegel wrote:Universal Pictures has staked out Friday, Nov. 4, 2016, for a secret tentpole that is being co-financed with Legendary Pictures.

No details are being released on what is currently called "Untitled 2016 Event Project," but it is said to be a film that is new and not a sequel or remake, though it may be based on underlying intellectual property.

The film has the date to itself, though it will be followed two weeks later by J.K. Rowling's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which Warner Bros. will release on Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2016.

Legendary, which signed a multiyear co-financing deal with Universal last year, already has two other films with the studio on the calendar: an untitled Michael Mann project on Jan. 16, 2015, and Warcraft on March 11, 2016.

Collider Rumor:
Could a NAMOR Movie Be Universal and Legendary’s Secret Project?
[Updated: Is GODZILLA Screenwriter Max Borenstein Working on the Script?]
Dave Trumbore wrote:Update: In a recent interview with our own Christina Radish, Borenstein had the following to say:

Q: Do you have something you’ve finished writing that you know will be going into production next, or do you have a few things that you’re waiting to hear about?

BORENSTEIN
: We’ll see. There is this secret project that I’ve been working on with the folks at Legendary, which I’m excited about. I think there’s a decent shot of that [going into production]. I can’t get into details, but hopefully soon, it will hit the universe.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 16, 2014 1:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:23 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Namour

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:37 am

Veronica Ferres Joins ‘Pay The Ghost'; ‘Awkward’s Brett Davern Heads To ‘Stanford'; ‘Namour’ Sets Cast
Jen Yamato wrote:Karim Saleh (The Attack, The Imperialists Are Still Alive!), Mona Hala (Cairo Time), and Waleed Zuaiter (Omar) are set to star in Namour, the feature debut of writer-director Heidi Saman. Story follows Steven (Saleh), a young valet driver for a fashionable Los Angeles restaurant who fears that his temporary gig has somehow become permanent and what he took for a post­college rut is turning into his future. Saman developed the script at the Sundance Labs and successfully Kickstarted a $26,275 campaign last year. Filming starts on location today in the City of Angels. Saman’s a filmmaker whose 2008 short The Maid premiered at Cannes. She currently serves as associate producer on NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross. Namour is produced by Saman and Twice Told Film’s Matthew Keene Smith and executive produced by Kristin Fairweather.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Namour

Postby minstrel on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:21 pm

TheButcher wrote:Veronica Ferres Joins ‘Pay The Ghost'; ‘Awkward’s Brett Davern Heads To ‘Stanford'; ‘Namour’ Sets Cast
Jen Yamato wrote:Karim Saleh (The Attack, The Imperialists Are Still Alive!), Mona Hala (Cairo Time), and Waleed Zuaiter (Omar) are set to star in Namour, the feature debut of writer-director Heidi Saman. Story follows Steven (Saleh), a young valet driver for a fashionable Los Angeles restaurant who fears that his temporary gig has somehow become permanent and what he took for a post­college rut is turning into his future. Saman developed the script at the Sundance Labs and successfully Kickstarted a $26,275 campaign last year. Filming starts on location today in the City of Angels. Saman’s a filmmaker whose 2008 short The Maid premiered at Cannes. She currently serves as associate producer on NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross. Namour is produced by Saman and Twice Told Film’s Matthew Keene Smith and executive produced by Kristin Fairweather.

Where's the bit about the prince of Atlantis with superhuman powers? I think writer-director Heidi Saman has got some revisions to do...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 27, 2016 5:53 am

Variety AUGUST 21, 2014:
Universal Veers From Superhero Trend for a Monster Plan
“The trend (in Hollywood) is franchise movies, and building movies around a character people want to come back and see over and over again,” says Erica Huggins
Marc Graser wrote:As Disney, Fox, Sony and Warner Bros. plant flags on comicbook movies that will unspool in theaters through 2020, Universal honcho Jeff Shell and movie chief Donna Langley find themselves with few options other than to cull their studio’s library and secure outside properties that are established brands, and thus easily marketable. Its only comicbook-based superhero property is Marvel’s “Namor: The Sub-Mariner,” to which it has retained rights since 2006.

“The trend (in Hollywood) is franchise movies, and building movies around a character people want to come back and see over and over again,” says Erica Huggins, president of Imagine Entertainment, who was instrumental in acquiring the Anne Rice books.

studly Man on Batman:
129: Joe Quesada: Moments of Marvel
Did Marvel get the rights back?
Sub-Mariner talk at the 41 minute mark.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:04 am

Is Namor Planned for Marvel Phase 4?
Captain America: Civil War writer Stephen McFeely wants to see Namor the Sub-Mariner be introduced in Marvel Phase 4.

CIVIL WAR WRITERS WANT TO BRING NAMOR & MARVEL ZOMBIES TO THE BIG SCREEN

'Civil War' Writers on Introducing Spider-Man, Black Panther (Q&A)
"We needed those different perspectives on the same conflict, people who didn't have the same angst about everything because they hadn't shared five movies with these people," said screenwriter Steve McFeely.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 am

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:14 pm

I've actually wanted to see a 'Namor' movie forever just because I was weirdly obsessed with the Atlantis myth as a child. But I wouldn't get too excited, because to me this interview sounds like Joe Quesada has no idea what the situation actually is. "It's not at Fox... uh... or Sony... so I guess we have it? Right? Fuck guys I don't know, this shit is complicated." It was, and probably still is, at Universal.

Also he and Aquaman are pretty much the same character so like... unless I'm severely underestimating the general public's desire to see arrogant underwater superheroes, I don't really think there's a need to go back to that well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:

I've actually wanted to see a 'Namor' movie forever just because I was weirdly obsessed with the Atlantis myth as a child.... unless I'm severely underestimating the general public's desire to see arrogant underwater superheroes, I don't really think there's a need to go back to that well.

any self-respecting geek in the 70's was into Atlantis, and the Bermuda Triangle, it is just that geeks then were a small minority, it was really a totally different world in that regard to pop culture, and not enough to justify budgets for shows and movies. i loved The Man From Atlantis with Patrick Duffy, even though i think it only had a few episodes air before being canceled. I actually think adventure/action movies set underwater are an untapped sub-genre

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:45 am

/film:
Is Marvel Working on a Secret ‘Namor’ Project?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Disneyland’s Guardians Ride Hints At Namor and Beta Ray Bill in MCU
Disneyland's new Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! displays items that point to the existence of Atlantis and Beta Ray Bill in the MCU.

Fantastic Four Is Back! In Figure Form, From Hasbro, With Their New Sue Storm Figure
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News