SXSW: YEEEE-HAWWWW!

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

SXSW: YEEEE-HAWWWW!

Postby cinephile2000 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:37 am

I am going to this festival from March the 11 to the 18 with my fellow zoners Igor and The Dark Knight. We went last year and thuroughly enjoyed it. Is anyone else going? Do yall want to meet up somewhere, possibly the line for V for Vendetta? This year is looking to be good just use this thread for all things SXSW.

Oh and the schedule is up.lhttp://2006.sxsw.com/film/screenings/date/2006-%2003-10.htm
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby cinephile2000 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:28 am

SO is no one going to this thing except us? Do you hate this festival? Whats up with it?
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby unikrunk on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:37 am

sweet jeebus I wish I could ditch the office and head out to Texass - WolfMother is playing, and my friend's movie is rolling out - Things that Hang From Trees.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:06 pm

I will defenitly go and see it. Whats it about?
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Brocktune on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:55 pm

i long for the day i may attend sxsw, but as a performer. but then again, there is a lot of bogus hype (imo) that goes along with sxsw. so in the event i never play there, i wont be too busted up about it. that being said, i have it on good authority that austin positively goes the fuck off during the festival. so cinephile, to you i say enjoy. austin is a very cool city, and you should have a blast.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:03 pm

cinephile2000 wrote:I will defenitly go and see it. Whats it about?

Things That Hang from Trees is a classic American tale set in the oldest city in America. A unique, southern-gothic story about an unusual eight-year-old boy fighting to extract some good out of a life of instability. Things That Hang from Trees gives us Jesus on the intercom, a barely-breathing, naked mannequin for a mother, and a Live Oak that traps the local wayward trash, animal, vegetable, and mineral. The Live Oak provides a stage where boys bully boys, men work out their passions (for better and worse), the homeless linger, and the dead reside.

http://www.thingsthathangfromtrees.com/story.html

my friend Aaron wrote the novella and screenplay - its very good

/biased? probably.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:47 pm

I will Prbubly go see it. Thanks for the tip seems kinda weird and surreal. You need those betweena ll the laugh out loud funnys and hurt your heart docs.

And yeah I dream of having a movie there too Brock. Some day... Austin does go crazy for these two weeks just awesome its like a hive. I applied for UT so if I get accepted I'll get to stay there all the time.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby CheriBomb on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:33 am

I am so excited about SXSW this year! Went for the first time last year and had a blast! Of course, the fact that Grande Rojo is doing one of the panels is just an added perk! :)
They can't stop the signal.
CheriBomb
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby cinephile2000 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:16 pm

I know I cant wait for that panel, 10 years of AICN, just awesome. Plus V for Vendetta, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Slither, and Thank You For Smoking. Not to mention lots of other movies that I don't know any buzz about but will most likely steal the show.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Brocktune on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:47 pm

i recently found out that these bands are playing SXSW.

polysics
peelander-z
the fiery furnaces
sharon jones and the dap kings

polysics get like a 3 hour set!

peelander-z are one of the great live acts of our time

i cant reccommend these performances enough. if you guys arent checking anything in particular out at the time, i strongly advise you to check these guys out!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:40 pm

It's finally the week of later this week I might post a list of the films I will be seeing with my friends. Is there anyone else thats going, and do yall want to go to a showing and create a Zone for Zoners? I will also hope that everyone goes to the 10 years of AICN so maybe Ill see yall there.

Other than me and my friends Darknight and Igor theres only one other person going?
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby CheriBomb on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:10 pm

I am still working on my list of films and when I am going to see them at SXSW, but there's no way I am going to miss 10 years of AICN! :)

Two others that I will be seeing without a doubt are Slither and V for Vendetta.
They can't stop the signal.
CheriBomb
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby cinephile2000 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Me too V for Vendetta two days before opening I'll feel special. Last year they had Unleashed Two Months before That was cool. You got a free soundtrack with it too so I'm hopeing we might get something out of V maybe a mask or Natalie might be there... Drooooolllll Natalie....
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby cinephile2000 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:40 pm

Well I'm about to leave for Austin so I wont be on here for very much longer. I hope to see many movies and will brag cough I mean tell you all about them in the weeks to come.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:48 am

Just got back and boy am I tired. 38 films in 8 days.
I'm going to sleep but tomorrow you will have my favs.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Re: SXSW 2014: YEEEE-HAWWWW!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:21 pm

A Conversation with Robert Rodriguez & Diego Luna on March 11

Exclusive Video: In 'Sequoia' Trailer, a Former Disney Star Makes a Play for the Indies
In the film debuting at SXSW 2014, Aly Michalka plays a young woman with a terminal illness who plans to take her own life among the redwoods.
It's the feel good movie of the year.

SXSW: Marc Webb 'Embraced the Spectacular' for 'Spider-Man 2'
And don't worry about villain overcrowding: "Paul [Giamatti] is in the movie for four minutes," the director said at Saturday's keynote.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SXSW 2014: GODZILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 pm

SXSW Unveils 2014 Lineup, Including World Debut of Seth Rogen's 'Neighbors'
1954's Godzilla: The Japanese Original, with a Q&A following with 2014 Godzilla director Gareth Edwards.

Jessica Chobot to Host GODZILLA Panel at SXSW!
Clarke Wolfe wrote:Did the premiere of the new Godzilla trailer yesterday cause your monster loving heart to flutter? Brace yourselves for a big announcement: Nerdist’s own Jessica Chobot will be hosting the Godzilla panel at SXSW next week! Chobot will be joined by director Gareth Edwards.

The panel will take place on Tuesday, March 11 at 9:30PM. In addition to a Q&A with Edwards, the panel will first feature a screening of the original 1954 classic Gojira, directed by Ishiro Honda. The version of the film being screened will feature 40 minutes of footage that were cut from the US release. Gojira celebrates its 60th anniversary this year.

For details on the panel and screening, click here.

Godzilla, directed by Gareth Edwards, opens on May 16.

Godzilla: The Japanese Original - SXSW 2014

New poster and trailer for the re-release of the 1954 'Godzilla' stomp online
All we hear is a scream, but that's enough
Drew McWeeny wrote:Now that my oldest son is getting more cognizant of what it is I do when I travel for business, there are some awkward conversations about why he can't just drop everything and come with me to do something that sounds like fun.

For example, he is currently exasperated with me because he isn't going to be allowed to join me in Austin, TX, for this year's SXSW Film Festival, where Rialto Pictures and Warner/Legendary are going to be presenting a special screening of the original 1954 Ishiro Honda film "Gojira," with director Gareth Edwards appearing afterwards for a Q&A that should also address this summer's remake of the film.

That's not actually technically accurate, though. I wouldn't call the new film a remake because, aside from the presence of the giant monster who breathes atomic fire, the two films really don't have much in common in terms of story. The new film tells its own story, and there's a lot more going on here than just one giant monster destroying things.

The 1954 film was, of course, substantially altered when it was first released in America, and while we've had restorations of the original Japanese cut before, Rialto seems very excited about the notion of a theatrical release. They've just released a brand-new poster and trailer for the release, and we're happy to be able to share them with you.

The trailer, which is embedded above, makes strong use of the Akira Ifukube score and one of the most iconic monster sounds of all time, and there's no actual footage. That's an interesting choice, one that trades on just how well-known those elements are.

While my kids won't be able to join me for the special SXSW presentation, which I'm excited to see, I'll make sure that they get a chance to see it theatrically if they want to in LA. The original one-sheet for the classic film is the only movie poster they have hanging in their bedroom, and Godzilla is such a big part of their fantasy lives. It's a great year to be a fan of Toho's biggest icon, and I look forward to this as well as the new movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SXSW 2014: Bigfoot Lives!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:38 pm

SXSW: Lionsgate Acquires Eduardo Sanchez Bigfoot Movie ‘Exists’

Shock Till You Drop:
Eduardo Sanchez On Bigfoot and His Found Footage Bigfoot Film Exists

South by Southwest Unveils Midnight Lineup
Dave McNary wrote:South by Southwest has unveiled 10 titles for its Midnighters lineup, including the world premiere of the Bigfoot found-footage film “Exists,” directed by Eduardo Sanchez.

“Exists,” Sanchez’s first foray into found footage since 1999′s “Blair Witch Project,” is a horror-thriller that chronicles a group of friends who set out into a remote Texas woods for a weekend of fun and are stalked and hunted by Bigfoot.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SXSW: YEEEE-HAWWWW!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:19 pm

SXSW: 4 Barbecue Meccas to Visit in Austin
From Franklin's Barbecue, a favorite of Jimmy Kimmel's which also made a cameo in Jon Favreau's SXSW-debuting film "Chef," to award-winning beef ribs from Micklewait Craft Meats, these are the top BBQ spots to hit up during the Austin fest

Marvel Unveils 'Adaptive Audio' Digital Comics You Can Listen To
At SXSW, the publisher debuts new technology that adds a soundtrack to your superheroes.

Power Records: The Incredible Hulk - At Bay
The Incredible Hulk - At Bay! (1974 Power Records)
Produced by Herb Davidson and Charlotte Saunders. Written by Steve Englehart and Gerry Conway, art by Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel.
Hulk stars in "At Bay!" Written by Steve Englehart and Gerry Conway. Art by Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel.
This story originally appeared in Incredible Hulk (1962-1999 1st series) #171.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Jon Favreau's Chef

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:42 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SXSW 2017

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 am

THR 3/18/2017:
'Life': Film Review | SXSW 2017
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR