"SHAZAM!" (Now w/ TEH ROCK - FACT!1!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

"SHAZAM!" (Now w/ TEH ROCK - FACT!1!)

Postby buster00 on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 am

Well, I guess I'll be the guy to start one up.

It's on the main site, and all over the Internets...Hollywood Reporter, SuperHeroHype, bladdybladdyblah...

Peter Segal, he of Anger Management, 50 First Dates, and Tommy Boy directorial fame is apparently signed on to helm the Shazam! flick for New Line.

Now, I don't think for one moment that Adam Sandler is going to be playing Billy Batson. Beyond that, I haven't given it any thought...but I am a fan of the character and I hope it gets treated with a bit of "real-world" import (i.e., NO talking tigers, NO "F@t" Marvel or "Hillbilly" Marvel, or any of the other 1940's silliness).

Discuss away!

Just one thing -- first one to bring up Jim Nabors is a complete douchebag. Don't be so predictable.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:26 am

Can't say I am too excited about this bit of news. I mean I was never really a fan of Captain Marvel, but nonetheless this choice for director just seems off.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: "Shazam!" Movie Discussion Thread

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:55 am

buster00 wrote:
Just one thing -- first one to bring up Jim Nabors is a complete douchebag. Don't be so predictable.

what?!?!?!?!

you couldn't throw that out there and expect the havoc NOT to hop aboard...

you just don't know the havoc then...

:wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 am

i actually used to watch the live-action tv show during the 70's, though even then i thought it was kind of dorky in a CBS after-school-special way. i think it would be best if they took the material fairly seriously, while making it adventurous fun; like the first "Mummy". i also hope they include some of the egyptian mythology connected to the character's origin.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Shane on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:24 pm

I like Captain |Marvel, but putting the director of tommy boy and Anger managment on it scares me. I thingk the 40's sillyness could be done good in this movie, kind of like a sky captain retro feel might make the concept work.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Do we know if William Goldman is still writing it?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:33 pm

With a hero of Captain Marvel's, B- maybe C-list status, I wouldn't mind seeing them play with the formula and give us something off the wall. I was opposed to the Jack Black Green Lantern idea because I think there's a great, dramatic film in there, but who really cares THAT much about Captain Marvel? Make this into something fun.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:39 pm

The Green Lantern is hardly that much above the B or C status of Captain Marvel. i think either would be ripe for a "reimagining" in translation to the big screen.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:40 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
buster00 wrote:

what?!?!?!?!

you couldn't throw that out there and expect the havoc NOT to hop aboard...

you just don't know the havoc then...

:wink:

He'll learn, my friend.
The hard way.
:lol: :wink:
Say, is Nabor's still looking for a kidney?
I have a neighbor who desparately needs to become an organ donor....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:42 pm

Peven wrote:The Green Lantern is hardly that much above the B or C status of Captain Marvel. i think either would be ripe for a "reimagining" in translation to the big screen.

I loved Green Lantern...such a groovy outfit!
I would be surprised to see the tomb raiding thumb dicks that run studios these days take a run at GL, but if Tank Girl can get to the "silver" screen, anything is possible.
Just can't quite see it, though.
The Vicar

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Peven wrote:The Green Lantern is hardly that much above the B or C status of Captain Marvel. i think either would be ripe for a "reimagining" in translation to the big screen.

As far as mainstream awareness goes, yes. But my point was that I see in Green Lantern so much more promise for a spawling, epic, universe-trotting adventure (or series of adventures) than I do Captain Marvel.

Moreover, my point was that the "lesser" heroes SHOULD be played with, SHOULD be adapted in different, interesting ways. I don't know of anyone really holding a torch for a faithful Shazam adaptation. This is a property I'd like to see them play with.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:49 pm

The Vicar wrote:I loved Green Lantern...such a groovy outfit!
I would be surprised to see the tomb raiding thumb dicks that run studios these days take a run at GL, but if Tank Girl can get to the "silver" screen, anything is possible.
Just can't quite see it, though.

If Superman Returns is as big as eveyone is expecting, expect the first Green Lantern film in theatres by 2008.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby buster00 on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:24 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
buster00 wrote:

"SHA-ZAY-UM! Whut's a douchebag, Sergeant Carter?" :lol:

As to the William Goldman question, I haven't heard anything about any writers attatched to this project yet. Obviously, that's gonna be an important indicator as to which direction they wanna go with this -- serious, silly, or somewhere in between.

What struck me as odd is that the picture is being done for New Line, rather than Warner. Uh..Warner owns DC Comics. Anyone know why this New Line thing is? Or does Warner own New Line as well?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:26 pm

it just seems that it will be more difficult to translate the story of Green Lantern to the big screen with any real seriousness. you have to admit, the premise lends itself to camp. but, maybe if they went with someone like Chris Carter writing, with an X-Files vibe to it they could pull a serious tone off. with Captain Marvel there is the whole mystical Egyptian mythology tie-in that could be played quasi-serious anyway. then again, a teenager with the ability to call upon the gods to transform him into a superhero could be the premise for comedy too.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby austenandrews on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Let's get this out of the way - does anyone think Patrick Warburton could carry a film?
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Peven wrote:it just seems that it will be more difficult to translate the story of Green Lantern to the big screen with any real seriousness. you have to admit, the premise lends itself to camp. but, maybe if they went with someone like Chris Carter writing, with an X-Files vibe to it they could pull a serious tone off. with Captain Marvel there is the whole mystical Egyptian mythology tie-in that could be played quasi-serious anyway. then again, a teenager with the ability to call upon the gods to transform him into a superhero could be the premise for comedy too.

Captain Marvel is Big with superpowers. That movie should be funny.

Green Lantern is about intergalactic police officers intervening in planetary warfare and such tomfoolery. I'm not an ardent GL reader or anything, but nothing about that concept has EVER been campy to me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:35 pm

I can't fucking believe they are remaking this 90's classic

when will Hollywood have an original thought!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:48 pm

buster00 wrote:Or does Warner own New Line as well?

indeed they do.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:50 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Peven wrote:it just seems that it will be more difficult to translate the story of Green Lantern to the big screen with any real seriousness. you have to admit, the premise lends itself to camp. but, maybe if they went with someone like Chris Carter writing, with an X-Files vibe to it they could pull a serious tone off. with Captain Marvel there is the whole mystical Egyptian mythology tie-in that could be played quasi-serious anyway. then again, a teenager with the ability to call upon the gods to transform him into a superhero could be the premise for comedy too.

Captain Marvel is Big with superpowers. That movie should be funny.

Green Lantern is about intergalactic police officers intervening in planetary warfare and such tomfoolery. I'm not an ardent GL reader or anything, but nothing about that concept has EVER been campy to me.

not even in a Flash Gordon kind of way?? :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:54 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
buster00 wrote:Or does Warner own New Line as well?

indeed they do.

ya... they are an affliate of the Time-Warner conglomeration...as well as AOL i believe... and i think Ted Turner has his hand in all of it... doesn't he... or is it susan cagle... would it then be a Cagleomeration...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:47 pm

austenandrews wrote:Let's get this out of the way - does anyone think Patrick Warburton could carry a film?

Well, it all depends.
What do you have in mind, my son?
The Vicar

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:23 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:59 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:12 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

As far as mainstream awareness goes, yes. But my point was that I see in Green Lantern so much more promise for a spawling, epic, universe-trotting adventure (or series of adventures) than I do Captain Marvel.

Moreover, my point was that the "lesser" heroes SHOULD be played with, SHOULD be adapted in different, interesting ways. I don't know of anyone really holding a torch for a faithful Shazam adaptation. This is a property I'd like to see them play with.

You do realize that Captain Marvel outsold Superman at one time don't you? He was once one of the great icons of 1940s. Forgotten kind of like the Shadow. He didn't just have comics, he had movie serials. I really have little interest in the character, but he's very far from a B or C stringer. I'm surprised to see you make such an ill-informed statement MW.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:44 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

You do realize that Captain Marvel outsold Superman at one time don't you? He was once one of the great icons of 1940s. Forgotten kind of like the Shadow. He didn't just have comics, he had movie serials. I really have little interest in the character, but he's very far from a B or C stringer. I'm surprised to see you make such an ill-informed statement MW.

* bows head in shame *

I knew of the past films, etc. only from reading the articles on Segal's attachment to the film. I guess my point is more that his stature in the current pop culture lexicon is only that of a B- or C-list hero. Ask 100 people on the street who Superman is, you'll get 99 right answers. Ask the same 100 who Captain Marvel is, I think you'd be lucky to pull out 30.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:49 pm

I've been a huge fan of Captain Marvel since I was a kid(anyone remember the cartoon series?) and, imho, it's been one of the DCU's characters that just never got the writing or artwork it deserved to make it great. Yes, I know he's a Superman clone, right down to the bald egomaniacal mad scientist arch enemy Dr. Sivana, but still, one could argue that in the right hands he could've been a contender, to quote Brando.

As for the movie, I sincerely hope it happens and soon. Bruce Campbell would've made a great Captain Marvel, tho it's never going to happen. But one thing that MUST happen is The Rock(Dwayne Johnson) should play Black Adam, one of my fave supervillains ever. I'm glad he got some recognition and was brought back in the pages of JSA. And I'm crossing my fingers hoping we'll get Captain Marvel Jr and Mary Marvel in a sequel.

The only problem with the Captain Marvel comics when I read them is that they were saddled with ridiculous characters like Uncle Dudley, the talking tiger, and villain Mr. Mind(the worm). This seriously cut into the character's cred, and didn't do him any favors. I hope the movie avoids these characters like the plague(Sivana included)

I'm hoping for the best, and I'm sure Segal will rise to the occasion and give us a good movie. To me, I've always felt that it's the lesser characters, the B and C list crowd that would make more interesting films. It worked with Blade, and I'm also hoping Ghost Rider for Marvel, so let's hope that DC can get this and some other characters up and running. Maybe Vigilante, Shining Knight, Wild Dog, or Zatanna.

And finally props to Bruce Timm and Paul Dini for bringing Captain Marvel back to the main stage in that incredible JLU episode. If only JLU could've hung around long enough to have given us a full Marvel family episode. Joey Adams for the voice of Mary Marvel and Chris O'Donnell for Captain Marvel Jr. would've been sweet. Alas.... Until next time this is SilentBobX and I am just livin the dream, baby.

SHAZAM!

PS- The picture of Jim Nabors was a really nice SURPRISE! SURPRISE! SURPRISE!

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:50 pm

austenandrews wrote:Let's get this out of the way - does anyone think Patrick Warburton could carry a film?

I believe so.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:51 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Captain Marvel is Big with superpowers. That movie should be funny.

Green Lanterns have been played for goofs a number of times, most notably Gnort, who got quite a lot of space in the Justice League books for a while. Guy Gardner wasn't played very straight, either, during those days, either in JL or anything but his own series.

One of the most important Captain Marvel stories was about Mr. Mind, leader of The Monster Society of Evil. Admittedly this was in the '40s and Mr. Mind was an alien worm with great mental powers, but they played it pretty straight with jokes worked in. At the end of this two-year story Mr. Mind was tried for the deaths of nearly 200,000 people and executed. Not really silly.

You are correct, Adam -- Captain Marvel Adventures, published biweekly if memory serves, sold over a million copies a month, far more than any of Superman's titles (even allowing for two issues per month).

Jerry Ordway's The Power of Shazam! played the situation straight and managed to work in some of the goofier characters in a low-key way. Sivana was a bit eccentric, but not a genius screwball as in the earlier versions. Mr. Mind -- well, there's only so much one can do with Mr. Mind, but they played him as straight as possible without making the story some sort of hallucination. It's good stuff, not fantastic, but good. Towards the end Ordway took over the art and the book was even better.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Theta on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:06 pm

buster00 wrote:Peter Segal, he of Anger Management, 50 First Dates, and Tommy Boy directorial fame is apparently signed on to helm the Shazam! flick for New Line.

Bleh. Couldn't they have gotten somebody interesting?

I'll qualify this by saying I'm not sure who you could really GET to direct a Shazam movie. Maybe Kerry Conran would have the right sensibility, but it strikes me as something that needs a strong sensibility to work as a film.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby austenandrews on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:10 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

I believe so.

I totally dug him as the Tick, but that was more of an ensemble piece. He's got the look and the comic timing for Captain Marvel, so I'd like to think he could carry a film. But he's done tons of voice work lately and frankly, he always seems to have the same basic schtick. Marvel needs more than I've ever seen him give.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:27 pm

I guess I've just never really cared that much about Captain Marvel. I like the concept, to an extent, and I see no problem in playing with the tone/style. Honestly, I feel about as strongly about Captain Marvel as I do about Ghost Rider--not very.

Green Lantern, I just kinda dig. Again, I've never really followed the books, but the concept is just so strong to me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:43 am

I love Captain Marvel. I like him more than supes. I also like his potential more than supes. And my favorite captain Marvel moment lately has been Kingdom come when he put the smack down. I want to see captain marvel take the miracle man turn. I think that miracle man should have had the chance to be Captain Marvel.

I fear that they will get some Saturday night live guy to run around dressed like captain marvel acting like a kid in a superhero body for cheap laughs. I can see a light hearted side to the movie working, but not done as straight comedy.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:52 am

"Great American Hero" took a humerous yet also serious take on the "regular guy suddenly given super powers" as a tv series, and made it work fairly well. i wouldn't be surprised to see a Captain Marvel treatment resembling that.

edit: and i'm sorry Whedon, but just the phrase "intergalactic police force" screams camp to me. but hey, thats just me.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:22 am

Adam Balm wrote:Do we know if William Goldman is still writing it?

We do not. I'd probably guess no, sadly, but it's always a possibility.

Don't think I like New Line hiring Segal. He must have given them one hell of a pitch, but I still probably don't agree with whatever he said. I'd like to see a Shazam! film with a light-hearted tone to it, sure, but I'm dreading this, because it will probably wind up being a self-loathing superhero farce. Not to mention, most of Peter Segal's movies have been pretty crass. Even if we are stuck with him, hopefully that aspect of his filmmaking comes nowhere near Shazam!.
Last edited by Ribbons on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby athenabodicea on Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:04 am

I remember watching the cartoon when I was a kid & I totally used to run around shouting "Shazam" all the time. Pretending I would also be magically transformed into a grown up superhero...
I didnt realize he was Captain Marvel...lol
I thought his name was Shazam....
Hahahahaha.... :oops:

I am so buying this t-shirt and wearing it to the opening.... :roll:

Last edited by athenabodicea on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby austenandrews on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:17 pm

Too bad Vincent D'Onofrio is probably too old & recognizable.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby DennisMM on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:59 pm

That would be great, austen! Hadn't even crossed my mind until you mentioned it.

Of course, we all know (DON'T WE?) that Cap's face was based on a famous actor's.
http://www.filmbug.com/db/296976

If anyone doubts the potential for Captain Marvel drama, checkout the 1941 serial, The Adventures of Captain Marvel which I consider the best comic-book-superhero movie until the 1989 Batman.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:10 pm

DennisMM wrote:If anyone doubts the potential for Captain Marvel drama, checkout the 1941 serial, The Adventures of Captain Marvel which I consider the best comic-book-superhero movie until the 1989 Batman.

See, Dennis, I don't doubt the potential for a good, dramatic Captain Marvel film. I think damn near every superhero can work in a dramatic or comedic context, most a nice combination of the two.

I just don't percieve Captain Marvel to have the same kind of fan base--in this day and age--as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.--therefore, I don't think it'd ruffle that many feathers if they tried something different with the material.

The Jack Black Green Lantern thing was going to happen (or at least it was very close), but the fan outcry against it was so strong the studio decided not to go that way with that material. Call me crazy, but in my experience I just have never met/seen/heard about anyone that is a rabid, diehard Captain Marvel fan--definitely not one that would launch a protest at anything shy of a faithful, straight up adaptation of the source material.

I don't want to seem like I'm against this project, because I'm not. I'm kind of apathetic about it, but I will likely see it at some point.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:31 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I just don't percieve Captain Marvel to have the same kind of fan base--in this day and age--as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.--therefore, I don't think it'd ruffle that many feathers if they tried something different with the material.

Before the X-Men merchandising flooded the market (after the animated program) I think you'd have been hard-pressed to find non-fans who were familiar even with the concept. And the movie's take on the team was different enough from what some fans expected that they howled, and some continue to howl.

Call me crazy, but in my experience I just have never met/seen/heard about anyone that is a rabid, diehard Captain Marvel fan--definitely not one that would launch a protest at anything shy of a faithful, straight up adaptation of the source material.

Each issue of Alter Ego is backed with a flip-book of FCA, publication of/for The Fawcett Collectors of America. http://www.marvelfamily.com I was an editor for a comics fanzine for the better part of a decade; believe me, there are CM fans who still scream at the Saturday-morning version and even hate the approaches taken by Jerry Ordway and Roy Thomas (who adores CM).

I don't want to seem like I'm against this project, because I'm not. I'm kind of apathetic about it, but I will likely see it at some point.

I'm sorry if I've made it seem as if I think you're rabidly anti-Cap. That was not my intent.

Personally, I think The Flash will get made before GL. Flash is a simple concept, whereas GL involves space travel, stuck-up aliens who think they have the right to police the galaxy, insane special effects. What I'd like is a post-colonial take on GL, establishing the Guardians right off, that deals with their imperial attitudes. Who are THEY to save the galaxy?
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:38 pm

It would be nice if the mimed Moore's approach to the material. Particularly the Black Adam stuff.

/still can’t get the books in the US…
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:51 pm

I seriously doubt that Warburton would be right for the role. I pondered over this for a while and it suddenly dawned on me. Vince Vaughn. Why not? He may not be perfect for the role like Bruce Campbell might have been, but he fits the physical profile.

Seeing him and Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam duke it out, throwin cars, breaking buildings, causing general mayhem ala Superman 2, but turned up to 11. THAT'S what I want to see in a Captain Marvel film.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:23 pm

I don't see any reason why Sivana can't be involved. He IS Captain Marvel's Luthor after all; the movie wouldn't feel right without him. The first few issues of The Power of Shazam! were a pretty good depiction of how it could go. And yeah, Ordway's involvement totally made that book.

Did any of you catch the recent Superman / Shazam mini? It was pretty good. I gave the story a B- grade, but the art was CHOICE. So vibrant.

Maybe the movie's screenplay can have Sivana discover a way to unearth Black Adam? Or should they save Teth Adam's whole story for a sequel?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:49 pm

so sorry wrote:I can't fucking believe they are remaking this 90's classic

when will Hollywood have an original thought!

I told several people about this, and 100% of them went "WHAT! Shaq's not even a good actor!"

The marketing folks on this have an uphill climb.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Dix_Mcgee on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:02 pm

I am so ashamed that 2 people beat me to the Kazaam reference.
If any one wants me I'll be committing suicide..... by watching Kazaam.
Dix_Mcgee
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:10 pm

If this becomes a movie please title it Captain Marvel rather than Shazam.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:00 am

In his latest column, Image editor-in-chief Erik Larsen explains the history and spirit of Captain Marvel, for the still uninitiated...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=20
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:15 am

Dix_Mcgee wrote:I am so ashamed that 2 people beat me to the Kazaam reference.
If any one wants me I'll be committing suicide..... by watching Kazaam.

Don't be. I almost put "...or Shaq" in the "complete douchebag" detetctor at the top of this thread.

Predictable. :roll:
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:41 am

I've never read a CM comic, but I have read Kingdom Come. I have really vague memories of a cartoon series when I was a kid, but nothing substantial enough to form an opinion on. I like superhero flicks in general, so if they do this one right, I'll be there opening weekend.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:49 am

As far as Black Adam, I wouldn't wait for a sequel. Sign Dwayne Johnson for the role NOW. He's perfect for it. Some people were just made for roles, and this is his.

Sivana I think is what really hurt Cap and got him further saddled as a Superman clone. Bald mad scientiest, what are the odds? Having said that, I think if Sivana was re-imagined, totally change his look, it would probably work. The story of him unearthing Black Adam would work for a movie. Just do it like Superman 2 but in reverse. Have Black Adam be more powerful and menacing than Cap, and have him throw down with Jr and Mary. Or, try and create 2 other bad guys just for the film. Why not? It's not like it would cause heart attacks like the totally bullshit rumor of Chris Rock as Robin in Batman Forever.

And finally, since I'm told I'm good at this by 2 or 3 people, I'll throw out my fantasy cast:

Captain Marvel: Vince Vaughn
Captain Marvel Jr: Chris O'Donnell
Mary Marvel: Mila Kunis
Black Adam: Dwayne Johnson
Dr. Sivana: Michael Chiklis

As for Billy Batson, hire an unknown, give the kid a big break.

If you can come up with better players, let's hear it, folks

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:18 pm

John August has been hired to write SHAZAM!

I'm a fan. Seems like a good pick.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Next

Return to Movie News