"SHAZAM!" (Now w/ TEH ROCK - FACT!1!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:58 am

That guy looks like another bland hollywood go-boy. Fuck him. Someone needs to time travel back in time 20 years and fetch us Brad Johnson! That's the only rational thing to do.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:That guy looks like another bland hollywood go-boy. Fuck him. Someone needs to time travel back in time 20 years and fetch us Brad Johnson! That's the only rational thing to do.

And while they're going back in time, they could pick up Gandhi to play Dr. Sivana...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:44 pm

why do we need Gandhi when Ben Kingsley is still alive. Although after seeing Ben Kingsley this weekend in You Kill Me, I think I would rather see him frozen in an ice berg for all eternity than act again.

No, I am going to be a total fanboy douche and suggest Steve Buscemi for Sivana. Just imagine him bald with glasses.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:45 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:No, I am going to be a total fanboy douche and suggest Steve Buscemi for Sivana. Just imagine him bald with glasses.

I thought of Buscemi because he's sufficiently weasly, but there's gotta be some decrepit old man who could fill Sivana's lab coat.

What about Dominic "Uncle Junior" Chianese, of "Sopranos" fame?

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nordling on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 pm

I want the Rock to play Shazam. He's a much better actor than people give him credit for.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:38 pm

Grrr.... :evil:

OK, last time.

Shazam = the old wizard dude.

Captain Marvel = Billy Batson's super alter-ego.

Sorry. Pet peeve.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Nordling wrote:I want the Rock to play Shazam. He's a much better actor than people give him credit for.

With the aquiline hairline he looks more like Black Adam, but I think the Rock could pull off Captain Marvel if you gave him a wig or something.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nordling on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:44 pm

buster00 wrote:Grrr.... :evil:

OK, last time.

Shazam = the old wizard dude.

Captain Marvel = Billy Batson's super alter-ego.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

Heheheh... that's like calling the creature Frankenstein instead of Frankenstein's monster.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Goddamn... they tell a the Dino that it was a only gonna to be aired inna the Japan, eh? I dinna know when I took a the money... I swear onna my children's eyes, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Conroy420 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:15 am

I can really only picture the Rock as Captain Marvel. You really need a over-the-top wrestler typer person for this role, and he's the only one that can act.

I really hope people don't bitch about this movie if its released as a more kid-friendly of the DC releases.

I don't think Fantastic Four should've been as geared to kids. It's possibly to engage kids and adults, it's easier to write for children.

Captain Marvel is a pretty goofy concept. They need that fanastical element. There's no sense that this couldn't be 'ET' style family entertainment.

DC has been pretty smart with there properties so far. They've put there faith in geniune talented directors. I know you can't really bet financial success on a true artist's vision, Superman Returns an example, but sometimes there are pay offs, like Batman Begins.

Credits where credits due, they havn't been pumping the films out as a cash grab, unlike Marvel.

I really want a GREEN LATERN movie dammit!
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 am

Conroy420 wrote:I can really only picture the Rock as Captain Marvel. You really need a over-the-top wrestler typer person for this role, and he's the only one that can act.

Hehehe... with a that other putz, it's a like he's saying "holy crappa, I grew a my eyebrows this a bushy, eh? Just a so's I can a grow uppa to play a the goddamn Captain Marvel! I've earned it, no?"

Conroy420 wrote:Captain Marvel is a pretty goofy concept.

I really want a GREEN LATERN movie dammit!

Magic ring that a you gotta to recharge every 24 hours anna can a do anything you want it to? Anna donna work onna the color yellow?

Talk about a your goofy concepts...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby instant_karma on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:31 pm

From the LA Times

"Shazam!" Talking to John August

What super-hero screenwriter will you not see at Comic-Con this year? That would be John August, who is toiling on the first draft of "Shazam!" the New Line Cinema film that is expected to bring Captain Marvel to the screen in one of the next few summers. "I've never been to Comic-Con. I'm sure I will be going down the road. I hear it's pretty intense, pretty massive."

Massive and intense is exactly right, and the fans take their beloved heroes pretty seriously, as August is already learning. He’s familiar to genre fans for his work with director Tim Burton ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Corpse Bride" and "Big Fish") but the Colorado native was never a comic-book guy ("I was," he says, "a Dungeons & Dragons kid.") and some Captain Marvel fans aren't happy with him already, thanks to his blog comments about the classic 1940s comics that introduced the hero: "What you quickly realize is that old-time comic books were awkwardly written, crudely drawn, and bewilderingly inconsistent with their rules." Some fans of the venerable hero are also alarmed by the choice of director: Peter Segal brought the world "The Longest Yard," "50 First Dates," and "Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult."

I caught up with August for the lunch the other day and, while he was mum on details, he revealed a lot about his hopes for a project that New Line expects to make a franchise. He's looking for a movie that will be funny and light-hearted but respectful of the classic elements of the comics: A boy named Billy Batson meets a wizard and is told that when he utters the word "Shazam!" a bolt of magic lighting will transform him into an adult hero in a cool red suit. The movie will be set in modern day, not the WWII-era that some fans hoped for. The classic costume-red and yellow with a white cape that is loosely tied around his neck-will be honored. There will be a super-powered villain, too, and while August wouldn't say whom, he did smirk a bit when I praised Black Adam as the wonderful counter-point to the sunny Captain Marvel. "No comment," August said.

August said that his work on "Chocolate Factory" likely led to this project: "Like Charlie, Billy Batson has an innate goodness, he’s is pure, and that is why Billy is chosen to be a hero and why Charlie succeeds." I mentioned the movie "Big" and August nodded that, yes, that is a strong reference point for the boy-in-a-man theme of the film, although he added that he rarely cites it because it might give "the super-fans" something new to fret about. (We didn't talk about casting because it's way too early in the process, but Jake Gyllenhaal has been mentioned and IMDB lists the Rock as "in talks" for the role. IMDB also cites Brandon Molale as possible and he is an absolute dead ringer for Marvel; he may not have major name recognition but he did appear in "The Longest Yard," so Segal knows him.)

I mentioned to August that two years ago I chatted with one of the "Shazam!" producers, Michael E. Uslan, and he told me even then that any Captain Marvel movie’s great challenge would be answering one question: If you were a little kid who could turn into an all-powerful, handsome adult, why on Earth would you ever change back? August’s answer: "That's absolutely a key part of the movie. Billy doesn’t want to turn back, that’s central to the story. And a lot of the movie hinges upon that and Billy’s relationship with his best friend and that disparity. They are two teen friends and then suddenly one of them is 30 and a hero. So it creates tension. You know, as a screenwriter, that’s the thing, to take what seems to be a problem and make it a key element of the story. But Michael hit it on the head, that’s one of the emotional cores of this story. So to me it's a great problem to have."<p>

In the 1940s, Captain Marvel comics actually outsold Superman for a time and August thinks the character could fly high again. One thing does worry him: All these comic book movies might be wearing on moviegoers. "Inevitably there is going to be a fatigue. At this point, too, every movie has to be bigger. The scale has gotten so big. What I like about ‘Shazam’ is that a lot of what is great about the movie and what is most fun about the movie is small."

-- Geoff Boucher

I don't think this really adds much more than was already known, but it looks like we're gonna be getting Big in a cape...
instant_karma

Postby unikrunk on Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:42 am

Per SSH, the question of who should Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson play in this was put to the fans. Apparently the response was an overwhelming 'Black Adam!" - According to the article, The Rock has agreed to this and is in talks to play Teth-Adam, not Billy Batson.

So, there ya go.

/grain o' salt, eh.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 am

The Rock gets like 10 coolness points for that, if it's indeed true.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby unikrunk on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:01 am

@The FOUNDER - word up. He would make a great Black Adam...Captain Marvel...not-a-so-much.

This sounds crazy, and I suppose it is, but Marvel is such a cheese-dick that a beefed up Ben Affleck would be fitting for the role. He did the George Reeves thing spot-on...

Yes, I am aware that I just recommended Affleck for a role. Let the name calling and naysaying begin; I brought some marshmallows for the fire.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 am

The Rock has indeed chosen Black Adam. He announced it at the Southland Tale Press junket.

Check it
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:40 am

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:36 pm

Forget Super-Emo Returns.

Forget the Justice League Movie.

Forget The Dark Knight.

THIS is the comic book movie to keep our eyes on.

SHAZAM!

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:53 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Forget Super-Emo Returns.

Forget the Justice League Movie.

Forget The Dark Knight.

THIS is the comic book movie to keep our eyes on.

SHAZAM!

First, BACK OFF SUPERMAN RETURNS!

And second, an action comedy super hero flick doesn't sound anywhere near as cool as The Dark Knight.

So I proclaim this post FALSE.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 pm

Proclaim all ye wish.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:26 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Proclaim all ye wish.

Mahalo

I'll Mahalo you.

Wait, what the hell does that mean again?

Oxymoron. :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:43 pm

unikrunk wrote:
This sounds crazy, and I suppose it is, but Marvel is such a cheese-dick that a beefed up Ben Affleck would be fitting for the role. He did the George Reeves thing spot-on...

Yes, I am aware that I just recommended Affleck for a role. Let the name calling and naysaying begin; I brought some marshmallows for the fire.

He did. He was superb in Hollywoodland. Truly surprised me.

I'll bring the graham crackers and chocolate.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:43 pm

He'd better bulk up, dammit. I don't want another Brandon Routh.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Awesome news.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:55 pm

"Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam" is the new title of the movie.
source : iesb
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:00 pm

TheButcher wrote:"Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam" is the new title of the movie.
source : iesb

Painfully, excruciatingly lame.

"Elvis Costello and the Attractions" would be a better title.

I would think "The Legend of Shazam" would be sufficient. It'd fit on a marquee, too.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:24 pm

To be followed with 'Billy Baton and the Goblet of Fire' etc etc...
instant_karma

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:28 pm

That's just what it smelled like to me too, I.K.

Or is it...

J.K. ...!?

(*rips off instant_karma's mask*)

You almost got away with it, Rowling. Almost.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:58 pm

Buster, it must be fun living in your own little world...
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:59 pm

Not enough people know about Captain Marvel for the title of the film to really matter anyway.

Half the audience will be fans of the comic. Half the audience will be fans of The Rock. They could call it Billy Batson Grows Up and those two same audiences would attend.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:17 pm

The Power of Shazam! Comic book title, just fine.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:26 pm

I like the Billy Batson title. It personalizes it, and makes me think they are going to focus on his character as a piece in an epic story. Captain Marvel is cool and all, but I want some clever Billy moments too.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:30 pm

If they're using his name in the title, it should be changed to Billy Batson's Baadasssss Song.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:34 pm

What's wrong with calling it SHAZAM!

Do they think people will actually think of Shaq?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:42 pm

I reckon there will be a different title in the US, than elsewhere in the world.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:11 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:What's wrong with calling it SHAZAM!

Mebbe they'll think it's some strange movie about Gomer Pyle?

I guess the new title doesn't really bother me a whole lot but it probably sheds a whole light on the type of audience they're probably shooting for in this movie.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:15 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:...but it probably sheds a whole light on the type of audience they're probably shooting for in this movie.

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:35 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

10 points to the 19-year-old girl for the Gomer Pyle reference.

Another 10 for beating me to it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:32 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

10 points to the 19-year-old girl for the Gomer Pyle reference.

Another 10 for beating me to it.

Blame watching Nick at Nite with my dad when I was younger. ;)

Anyways I still think there's a chance this could still be a good movie as long as they don't try to make Black Adam less of a threat. I feel that one of the better aspects of the Harry Potter movies is that Voldemort and the rest of the villains really can be scary and don't seem to pull their punches because they're up against children. I hope that Segal will remember that when making this movie.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:21 am

buster00 wrote:That's just what it smelled like to me too, I.K.

Or is it...

J.K. ...!?

(*rips off instant_karma's mask*)

You almost got away with it, Rowling. Almost.

Damn you Buster!!!

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned I live in Edinburgh.

Now I'll have to retire this ID and use one of my meny alts...
instant_karma

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm

The second contender for a WB summer 2009 release is BILLY BATSON AND THE LEGEND OF SHAZAM directed by Peter Segal and written by John August. This superhero has been looked at with more interest in the last few months due of the success of Iron Man.

The script has developed through a couple of drafts and they are waiting for John August to do some further re-writes. But because of the writers strike earlier this year, August has a backlog of work. Plus, Peter Segal has been busy with Get Smart's post production and press tour schedule. So the filmmakers haven't been able to nail down a final draft of the script.

source : IESB

*edit*
From the SciFi Scanner interview with Peter Segal:
Q: You're working on an adaptation of Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam. Why depart from comedy?

A: I think superheroes are heroes with flaws, and in their flaws, there is a sense of humor. A few people have asked me if I'm trying turn the film into a light comedy, and I'm saying absolutely not. However, real fans of Shazam know there's a great sense of humor just in the fact that a 13-year-old boy morphs into a 28-year-old superstud, Captain Marvel. There's almost a genre for movies like that - Big, 13 Going on 30 -- but they're all following in the footsteps of Shazam.

Q: There are a lot of similarities between this property and Superman. In fact, DC successfully sued for infringement in the '40s. Do you worry people will continue to connect the two?

A: I'll name two incredibly successful comics right now that are about a millionaire who wants to fight crime and uses technology to build suits and gadgets to help him do so. But quite frankly, I was concerned: Superman literally squashed Captain Marvel in the '40s. There are a lot of Captain Marvel fans who are saying he got a raw deal. And since there seems to be some legal trouble in ever bringing another Superman to the screen, now feels like the right time.

http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/20 ... erview.php
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "SHAZAM!" (Now w/ TEH ROCK - FACT!1!)

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:19 pm

I wonder what the situation with this is now, in light of that WB mission statement the other day.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Maybe they will just focus on Black Adam.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby instant_karma on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Robinov wrote:It's like, how much more black could Black Adam be? and the answer is none. None more black.
instant_karma

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:55 pm

From Variety: Segal, Ewing set first-look deal at WB

MICHAEL FLEMING wrote:Warner Bros. has staked "Get Smart" director Peter Segal and his Callahan Filmworks partner Michael Ewing to a three-year first-look deal.

Segal and Ewing kick off the pact with "Liam McBain: International Tennis Star and Proper English Geezer," a Chip Hall-scripted spec. Segal will develop to direct a film that follows the rise, fall and ultimate redemption of a fictional British tennis star of the '80s.

As part of the deal, WB has also acquired the John August-scripted "Captain Marvel"; Segal will direct the DC Comics adaptation. He and Ewing began working on the film two years ago at New Line, but the property has moved over to WB. Pic tells the story of teenaged Billy Batson, who transforms into the superhero when he says the word "Shazam!"

Segal and Ewing met on "Naked Gun 33 1/3" and formed a company named after the auto parts company in the Segal-directed 1995 Chris Farley comedy "Tommy Boy." Their last deal was at Paramount, where Segal directed "The Longest Yard" remake.

Deal comes as Segal prepares to direct a sequel to "Get Smart" for WB and Village Roadshow Pictures. Ewing was a producer of the original pic, along with Chuck Roven, Alex Gartner and Andrew Lazar. Segal was an executive producer.

Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember returned to write the sequel script, and the film is expected to shoot next year, depending upon the availability of Steve Carell, who'll return with Anne Hathaway and Alan Arkin.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

"SHAZAM!"

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "SHAZAM!"

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:14 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Latino Review: Remember That Shazam! Movie? Looks Like It's Dead.

Man, that sucks. This could've been a great flick.

August's blog entry in that article makes me think that Hollywood studios only put out good movies by accident.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

SHAZAM

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:58 pm

From MTV: Captain Marvel/Shazam Movie Still Alive? Producer Michael Uslan Hints At Film’s Future
Rick Marshall wrote:DC’s Captain Marvel has the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules and various other attributes that provide an acronym for “SHAZAM!” (the word that transforms Billy Batson into Captain Marvel) — but what about his ability to make a move to the big screen? After the on-again, off-again project seemed to fall back into limbo last week when screenwriter John August said the Captain Marvel/Shazam film “won’t be happening,” the film’s producer Michael Uslan told MTV News that fans shouldn’t abandon hope of seeing the hero in theaters.

“I will only say one thing — and all I will do is quote Samuel Clemens to you,” hinted Uslan. “This is direct from Captain Marvel himself: ‘The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.’”

While that certainly doesn’t mean we’ll be seeing anyone utter “Shazam!” on the big screen any time soon, it should offer some hopeful signs of life for a project that many viewed as flat-lining after last week’s news. Heck, maybe we’ll still get to see Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson play Black Adam after all!

For those that haven’t been keeping track, the Captain Marvel/Shazam film (also referred to as “Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam”) made a big splash at San Diego Comic-Con International last year with Johnson’s announcement that he plans to play Black Adam in the film. In November, it was announced that the project was moving from New Line Cinema to Warner Bros — appropriately enough, given its ownership of DC Comics — and co-directors Peter Segal (”Get Smart”) and Michael Ewing were attached to the film.

Just last week, however, screenwriter John August dashed many fans’ hopes when he wrote on his blog that the film “won’t be happening,” and that he didn’t think “it’s on the studio’s radar at all.”

While Uslan wouldn’t comment further on the status of the Captain Marvel/Shazam movie, his tease would seem to insinuate that there’s still a chance moviegoers will get to see Billy Batson call down a bolt of lightning down the road.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:21 pm

So it could just be that John August is a little bitter at the moment about it, considering the amount of effort it seems he's been putting in, and that there will be a Captain Marvel film...just not his.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News