Tomb Raider III?

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Tomb Raider III?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:01 pm

I was on the Movie Spoiler Site, and this flashed across the screen. Didn't they pull the plug on the franchise after Cradle of Life bombed?

I'm a little bummed if they do--I don't mind Jolie as Croft, but she tends to just dictate the films around stunts she wants to do. Not the way you should write an engaging action film. Still, she's become synonymous with Lara Croft, which I find slightly weird considering neither movie was that successful. It's kind of annoying because the character was fun, an icon of her own but is now just part of the Angelina Jolie myth.

I always hoped if they revived it, it would be with a different actress and more in the lines of Indiana Jones than silly game adaptation.

Anyway, is it for real, or just some executive trying to latch onto the Brangelina buzz?

HOLLYWOOD - Pregnant Hollywood vixen Angelina Jolie has agreed to reprise her role as Lara Croft in a third Tomb Raider movie--and she is already planning a punishing fitness regime to regain her figure after she gives birth.

The Oscar-winner, who is eight months pregnant, is currently staying at a highly guarded residence in Namibia where she is expected to give birth to her first biological child, fathered by boyfriend Brad Pitt.

And Ian Livingston, the creator of video game heroine Lara Croft, says, "Paramount has optioned it and Angelina has agreed to star in the third. If the (new) game is as successful as the others, it's likely Paramount will put the third movie into production soon."

The last Tomb Raider film, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life--made on a $90 million budget--grossed $65 million at the box office.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:10 pm

I don't know. Even factoring in the foreign market, the last movie didn't do too hot. If it's true, it's an awful risk Paramount would be taking. The first film did do pretty well, however, so maybe they figure with the right creative team they can make some green again. Jolie's asking price has to be pretty high, though.

Huh. I'll be surprised if this actually comes to pass.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I somehow made it through the first film, though I thought it was terrible.

I couldn't get more than 15 minutes into the 2nd before shutting it off.

What would be the point of making a third one of these? Jolie should just take the money and give it to orphans in New Guinea or something.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:46 pm

With all the gadgets and fighting and explosions and action and Angelina Jolie looking all curvy, all that 'eye candy' couldn't make me watch that first film all the way through when it was on TV, something any piece of shit action movie can at least do. I dunno why, but somethign about it was just boring and dull.

God knows what to make of the 2nd one, let alone a third. I dunno, get a decent exciting interesting script and most of allm it ain't hard to get a decent director is it, and then there might be a chance for a third.

Without Angelina wouldn't be that too bad a thing anyway, (even though I don't liike characters switching actors), as she ain't THAT perfect for this role.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:51 pm

I actually liked the second film more than the first, which is to say I thought it was pretty mediocre. Some nice ideas, some nice potential, but the execution was just completely flat.

I'd always imagined Lara Croft as the female Indiana Jones, but these films are just absolutely lacking the spirit that made those films so great.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Ah, but what if one of THEM had played Lara Croft?

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:54 pm

If Rhona Mitra was signed for Lara, I'd buy a ticket.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Flumm on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:00 pm

Didn't they cast a new Lara Croft already? Or was that just a promotional thing for the game?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:02 pm

DennisMM wrote:Ah, but what if one of THEM had played Lara Croft?

I'd have to hire myself a damn good lawyer. Seeing as I'd damn well sure I was an Extra on that film every day, and stalk and sexpest the hell outta them until I got arrested.

Yeah, the same for Rhona Mitra. She's more curvy for Lara for one thing, but she's got a strong sexuality of her own. She's pretty good actress at least, hasn't she?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:03 pm

So is it OK to do a WOMB Raider joke yet in this thread?

no?

OK, I'll be back....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:29 pm

so sorry wrote:So is it OK to do a WOMB Raider joke yet in this thread?

Not yet, but it's okay to do the punchline in the Punchline Without A Joke Thread
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:28 pm

Flumm wrote:Didn't they cast a new Lara Croft already? Or was that just a promotional thing for the game?

She's just the promotional model for the game. That would be such an awesome job...

Rhona Mitra would definitely be a great onscreen Croft. Eidos should never have parted with her, she really looked the part. I've only seen her in "Spartacus" so I can't confirm or deny her acting talent--but Jolie is pretty flat in the role, so why not?

Or ME!! Dammit!! I can do it!! :twisted:
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:35 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Hey Lady Sheridan honey, why not do a Poll on who should be the next Lara Croft? Big or small or unknown names.

I think we should all put forward some basic script ideas also, show them how WE can make the ultimate badass Tomb Raider.

BTW I know some extras that were on the first Tomb Raider. Apparently accordign to them, she was quite a pleasent lovely lady, who insisted on doing everything herself, not just stunts but even basic stuff that her body double would do.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:37 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:
Rhona Mitra would definitely be a great onscreen Croft. Eidos should never have parted with her, she really looked the part. I've only seen her in "Spartacus" so I can't confirm or deny her acting talent

She was in Hollow Man. The neighbor getting out of the shower that he um... pays a visit to.

Talk about talent!

Ah. Wow, I didn't remember that.

They're fake, you know. ;) Courtesy of dear old dad...

Guess Hollow Man found that out for himself.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby timmyill on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:40 pm

I would prefer it if the Tomb Raider series goes quietly into the night. Lara Croft has had enough sexily raiding tombs. Give someone else a turn
Last edited by timmyill on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmyill
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:42 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:
Rhona Mitra would definitely be a great onscreen Croft. Eidos should never have parted with her, she really looked the part. I've only seen her in "Spartacus" so I can't confirm or deny her acting talent

She was in Hollow Man. The neighbor getting out of the shower that he um... pays a visit to.

Talk about talent!

Ah. Wow, I didn't remember that.

They're fake, you know. ;) Courtesy of dear old dad...

Guess Hollow Man found that out for himself.

FAKE!!!!!??????? WHA!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

God, can't a guy fancy any gal in this world properly anymore!?!?!? Only a certain % of her is real! Sheeeeyeeeeet!!!!

She also did ascene with Kevin Spacey having sex in a bathroom in a The Life Of David Gale too. She holds her own whilst he also holds some of her own :wink: too, in that scene. She seems quite a good actress. Definitely got strong presecne.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:43 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:46 pm

You WOULD say that Bucky, you're a RABBIT!

Bastard, you'd fuck anything.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:53 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Fake/real blah blah blah. I could care less. There was nothing "hollow" about what was in my pants. :wink:

But from what I hear, there isn't anything MANly about it either. ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:00 pm

~
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:00 pm

You've been talking about Zoner penis size??!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:19 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Rhona Mitra would definitely be a great onscreen Croft. Eidos should never have parted with her, she really looked the part. I've only seen her in "Spartacus" so I can't confirm or deny her acting talent--but Jolie is pretty flat in the role, so why not?

You'd be my first choice, luv. :)
But Rhona can act - she was quite good in the short lived Gideons Crossing tv series with the amazing Andre Braugher.

Unlike Jolie, she certainly wouldn't be "flat" in the role. :wink: :wink:

( even if they are fake...gosh they still looked purty. But I'd find her attractive with or without Macy's Parade boobs)
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:02 am

I don't think there will be a Tomb Raider III. Eidos is just trying to drum up publicity. Wishful thinking on their part.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:12 am

I think you may well be right. It wouldn't seem that they still have the huge fan base that they once did... The last two films seemed to put an end to that...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:17 am

Honestly, as well as the first films did...

Sadly, even with AJ starring the franchise it's already ruined.
Not because of AJ...
THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE POOR WRITING FROM GAME TO FILM!
Too late for the public (sadly), but the previous "Tomb Raider" film writers already completely destroyed any brilliance that the character could've achieved.

Sorry to say, Lady Sheridan, but Hollywood already destroyed your fan favorite. :cry:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:51 am

I know. :(

Honestly, I think it COULD be revived if the games do as well as Legend did. If you could get a new actress and some strong writing, I think you could have a success. Especially if they looked like the original games and not like the techno-heavy Croft the movies made.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby bamf on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:02 am

Tomb Raider 3, so this isnt about Ashton Kutchers penis? Interesting..

i think i crossed a line.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:17 am

Boo. Apparently there is interest in reinventing the franchise. Think I read it on Eurogamer this week.

Here you go.

And for the Angelina fans out there, Livingstone added that there's a strong chance the pouty-lipped vixen will be reprising her role for a third big screen outing.

"There's a possibility - we've been talking to Paramount, who've agreed to assign a scriptwriter," he told EGTV. "That's nowhere near the green-light process but it's a very healthy start to have a scriptwriter which they're going to pay serious amounts of money to write the first script."
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:21 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Boo. Apparently there is interest in reinventing the franchise. Think I read it on Eurogamer this week.

Here you go.

And for the Angelina fans out there, Livingstone added that there's a strong chance the pouty-lipped vixen will be reprising her role for a third big screen outing.

"There's a possibility - we've been talking to Paramount, who've agreed to assign a scriptwriter," he told EGTV. "That's nowhere near the green-light process but it's a very healthy start to have a scriptwriter which they're going to pay serious amounts of money to write the first script."

"Hello, you are through to the Los Angeles Zoo Monkey House, how can we help?"
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:23 am

thedoglippedone wrote:
AtomicHyperbol e wrote:Boo. Apparently there is interest in reinventing the franchise. Think I read it on Eurogamer this week.

Here you go.

"Hello, you are through to the Los Angeles Zoo Monkey House, how can we help?"

IPAMPILASH!

Awesome. :D :D

Hell, if they wanna throw some money my way, I'll write the synopsis... and it'll STILL be better than whatever shitstain piece of wank they'll come up with! :P
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:28 am

"This is great Mr Hyperbole, we especially love the street race round Tokyo, very original."
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:39 am

thedoglippedone wrote:"This is great Mr Hyperbole, we especially love the street race round Tokyo, very original."

I also added some elegiac Dario Argento moments too.

Hell, already it sounds better than the first two movies...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:43 am

haha, totally.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:49 am

Fine, you guys write it, but I'm starring in it.

All I ask is that there be a really gratitous scene where I fight someone with ju-jitsu and strangle them with my legs, like in Lethal Weapon. That's stellar stuff right there.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:51 am

Naked?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:07 am

That's a different kind of Tomb Raider movie.

You can fetchingly tear my tank-top though, how's that?
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:14 am

/signed

/countersigned

/greenlit

:D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:20 am

Where do I get in line to see this?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:34 am

Look, already we sold more tickets than Cradle of Life!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:49 am

I would try to wath any Tombraider III movie just to defy destiny. Even if it has Tokyo car races.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:34 am

I hate Tom Raider. Production on the Red Dwarf movie was cancelled because Chris Barrie wanted to do this dribble instead. For shame.

I'm never going to know what happened to Rimmer after he kneed Death in the balls.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:39 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I hate Tom Raider. Production on the Red Dwarf movie was cancelled because Chris Barrie wanted to do this dribble instead. For shame.

I'm never going to know what happened to Rimmer after he kneed Death in the balls.

I'm gonna guess...

Testicular torsion.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:45 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I hate Tom Raider. Production on the Red Dwarf movie was cancelled because Chris Barrie wanted to do this dribble instead.

Not entirely.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 am

Those movies still made out much better adapting video games then most. I kind of like the second one, and the first was pretty awesome.

I'd like to see the storyline of Tomb Raider: Legends used....
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonsieurReynard on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:36 am

godzillasushi wrote:Those movies still made out much better adapting video games then most. I kind of like the second one, and the first was pretty awesome.

The problem is Angelina Jolie was great as the character, but someone forgot a decent writer and a director.

Personally, I think there's one person who could do this justice- Kathyrn Bigelow.

Oh, and my other problem with the franchise is the same problem I have with Hulk and Blade- there's no real villain to capture the imagination.

I reckon Lost Horizons would make a great film but to be honest, I think the time has passed.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:18 pm

MonsieurReynard wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Those movies still made out much better adapting video games then most. I kind of like the second one, and the first was pretty awesome.

Oh, and my other problem with the franchise is the same problem I have with Hulk and Blade- there's no real villain to capture the imagination.

Exactly why I would suggest the Legends storyline. Otherwise your right, its just that same dude with the British accent trying to get the magical stone before Croft can.

In Legends, her past comes back to haunt her a couple of times. From when her mother died, and when she thought she had lost her friend in an accident. And that friend comes back to kill her because she wants the ancient weapon or something.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:29 pm

I like that Legends has also touched on her being well...a thief. She's accused of wrecking historical sites and destroying artifacts. I think that would be a great way to start a film.

While I like Jolie, I never thought she was all that great as Croft. Her real life persona is too distracting from the character. You really need a relative unknown.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:41 am

I think AJ is too linked with this character now. So if she doesn't do another, I see the series dying, and not returning. I get the feeling that people will assume that is a "big star" can't succeed in the series, then an unknown doesn't stand a chance.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:59 am

You could say the same thing about James Bond, but look how many actors played him--not that Lara Croft ever achieved that sort of character status, but she's not too far off. Look how many official Eidos models there have been.

Most die-hard fans of the game never liked Jolie as Croft. And the movies were so utterly forgettable that if they actually revived it with a whole new team and gave it alot of Casino Royale hype, I think it would do just fine.

The problem isn't that a general audience identifies Jolie as Croft--I'm not sure a general audience is all that keen to see Lara Croft at all, no matter who plays her.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Next

Return to Movie News