What's next for DC Films and Warner?

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Which DC property would you most like to see?

Aquaman
4%
The Flash
38%
Wonder Woman
15%
Martian Manhunter
8%
Captain Marvel
15%
Doom Patrol
8%
Deadman
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes : 26

Re: Aquaman in 2016?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:33 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Screen Rant:
‘Aquaman’ Movie Happening… After ‘Wonder Woman’ & ‘The Flash’
Paul Young wrote:I spoke with a source at Warner Bros. and they are indeed planning an Aquaman film… but it’s certainly not going to be released in 2013. In fact, they are looking at a release date closer to 2015 or 2016 if everything goes according to plan. Warner Bros. will team up with Leo DiCaprio’s production studio Appian Way (Red Riding Hood, Shutter Island) to make the underwater film a reality.

5 Reasons Why ‘Aquaman’ Could Be the Next Big DC Superhero Movie

With ‘Man of Steel’ wowing audiences, we look ahead toward ‘Justice League’ by discussing why ‘Aquaman’ could be the next big DC Superhero movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: What's next for DC Films and Warner?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 am

Jeff Robinov Set to Negotiate Warner Bros. Exit
Kim Masters wrote:The deeply unhappy executive was passed over for the top job at the studio.

Warner Bros. film chief Jeff Robinov will soon begin negotiating his exit from the studio, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

Robinov, who has run Warners' film group since 2007, has increasingly been marginalized at the studio. Contrary to published reports, his contract is not up until 2014, but the studio is not expected to renew his deal. He has been taking meetings around Hollywood in search of a new job.

While formal exit negotiations have not yet begun, sources say the situation is heating up and a departure is a mere formality. As THR has reported, Robinov is said to be deeply unhappy in the wake of Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes choosing Kevin Tsujihara to run Warner Bros. Entertainment. He has complained that Tsujihara has increasingly impinged on his movie turf and that he has been iced out of key decisions at the studio.

However, sources with ties to the studio say Robinov has failed to embrace the studio's new leader after he was passed over in an infamous "bake-off" pitting three top executives against each other. TV chief Bruce Rosenblum left the studio earlier this year after being passed over.

According to a source close to Robinov, he is expected to seek a cash settlement as well as the freedom to pursue his next opportunity.

The move comes as Robinov is enjoying success at the box office. Man of Steel, a pricey reboot of the Superman franchise, opened to a $200 million global weekend.

He joined Warner Bros. in 1997 as executive vp of production. He was named president of production in 2000, then president of Warner Bros. Pictures Group in 2007.

Robinov, who has been out of the office all week ostensibly for sinus surgery, declined to comment. His personal publicist Kelly Bush did not respond to a request for comment. Warner Bros. reps, who repeatedly have denied that Robinov is leaving the studio, did not immediately respond.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:35 am

UPDATED NEW WARNER BROS SHAKE-UP: Jeff Robinov Quitting Movie Studio After No New Contract Offered And Kevin Tsujihara’s War Of Silence; Sue Kroll, Dan Fellman, And Greg Silverman May Become Triumvirate
NIKKI FINKE wrote:UPDATED 6 PM THROUGHOUT… EXCLUSIVE 2:45 PM: The destabilization of once rock-solid Warner Bros continues. I’ve learned that Jeff Robinov has decided to leave as Warner Brothers Pictures Group President after months of waiting in vain for Time Warner Jeff Bewkes and Warner Bros Chairman Kevin Tsujihara to offer him a new contract when his expires in December. Robinov is on vacation in New Mexico and this week enlisted both his attorney Skip Brittenham and his friend and former Warner Bros chairman Bob Daly to negotiate his exit. Robinov’s frustration follows Bewkes and Tsujihara placing him inside the ‘cone of silence’ in recent weeks ever since the home entertainment chief was appointed as the new Warner Bros CEO and soon to be chairman. No phone calls of congratulations came from Bewkes or Tsujihara to Robinov after last weekend’s record-setting global successful opening of Man Of Steel or any of the studio’s Summer 2013 big worldwide releases, The Great Gatsby and The Hangover Part III.

[EXCLUSIVE below: Ben Affleck and Baz Luhrmann reflect on their relationships with Robinov while Christopher Nolan's is detailed.]

Witnesses tell me that on the LA to NY plane trip to the Superman premiere June 10th, Tsujihara sat for the five hours not saying a word to Robinov who was sitting opposite him. This cruel behavior was in full view of not only Robinov’s execs but also of the Man Of Steel filmmakers like Christopher Nolan whom Robinov had brought to the studio. I’m told that at the Red Carpet gala at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall, which should have been his triumph, Robinov left demoralized after just 15 minutes. This, after he and Tsujihara used to be close friends who went on family vacations together. “I’m constantly being marginalized. My job is shrinking day-to-day,” Robinov confided to a pal the other day. “Kevin is starting to push me out by both the things he’s doing and the responsibilities he’s assuming. It’ll end up with everyone reporting to him. The result is that people at the studio are wondering how they can benefit from this or how they can not get hurt by this. Sitting around is not something I can do, or, by the end of the year, the studio will be in a massive mess.”

I’ve learned that the structure being contemplated for Warner Bros Pictures is not for any one person to replace Robinov, who was a rarity in recent Hollywood in that he did both the business and creative top job at a studio. Instead, his Warner Bros Pictures executives Sue Kroll, President of Worldwide Marketing; Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution; and Greg Silverman, President of Production, would run the studio as a triumvirate under Tsujihara who will take over the business side even though he has no such movie experience. It is unclear if New Line’s Toby Emmerich will have any new role within this structure. Also unclear is how this affects what was supposed to be Kroll’s imminent promotion adding Worldwide Distribution to her duties, especially if Fellman retired when his contract is up in 18 months. Both Kroll and Emmerich separately and alone had been tipped for Robinov’s job in recent months. Both have denied this. Emmerich’s star began to fall after the last 3 of New Line’s 4 releases sank this spring like Jack the Giant Slayer and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone on top of last year’s Rock Of Ages.

Robinov is the second very successful Warner Bros mogul who shared power as a triumvirate with Tsujihara and now has been pushed to quit in anger and sorrow: Warner Bros Television topper Bruce Rosenblum also was a target of Tsujihara’s humiliating war of silence. Although Tsujihara lied to insiders and outsiders that Rosenblum was staying, he brutally shoved him out the door after 10 days of negotiations. Like Rosenblum, the biggest knock in the Hollywood community against Robinov was personality – in Jeff’s case, always mercurial, at times harsh, often asocial, but also insecure and even sweet when the occasion called for it. He has never been beloved, but then very few moguls are because the vast majority of their job consists of saying ‘no’ not ‘yes’ especially when making the business decisions.

For months now, Robinov has been enduring the “Are you being fired?” rumors running rampant around Hollywood as well as whispers about who might be replacing him. And, meanwhile, the media have been circling like vultures. This sort of treatment is not what Robinov or any mogul with his history of profits for the studio deserves. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Hollywood always fires people in success. Robinov this year won the studio the Best Picture Oscar for Argo from Ben Affleck, a filmmaker he brought to Warner Bros Pictures along with Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio, Baz Luhrmann, Todd Phillips, Zack Snyder, to name just a few. And Robinov’s slate is having a banner global year.

To understand how Warner Bros Pictures filmmakers may feel about today’s developments, this may provide some intel. When rumors about Robinov being forced out first surfaced, I spoke to Ben Affleck to get his thoughts on what he called their “dream relationship” during and after The Town and Argo:

On the record. We have history. After Gone Baby Gone [2007] was well regarded but didn’t make money. The phone was not ringing off the hook. but Jeff called. ‘I’m a fan. I loved the film. Let’s sit down and have coffee. I’d really like you to direct movies for us. What do you want to do.” I went from no scripts to 15 Warners’ scripts, he was giving them all to me. He was the only person at a studio doing that. I also have a great relationship with Sue Kroll. But with Jeff, I never hear from anybody to make changes. I’m not told, ‘It tested poorly. Fix it.’ He sticks with me through screenings. I needed $1 million for a couple of reshoots on The Town. ‘You’re the horse I bet on,’ he tells me. ‘I believe in filmmakers.’ It’s a dream relationship.

When George [Clooney] moved his deal out of Warner Bros, all the projects didn’t move with him. Jeff gave me the script for Argo after calling George and Grant [Heslov] to see how I’d hit off with them. I stayed on budget. But I always felt if I had a problem I could call Jeff. Argo was viewed as a very challenging movie itself, skewing older when the public wants a superhero movie. But those two guys - jeff and Sue – really found a way to sell the movie. Sue supported by Jeff was 100% on board. They’re almost a symbiotic relationship. It was obviously an incredible year but if they wouldn’t have bet on us, if they’d not spent a lot of money on us, we wouldn’t have won the Oscar. It was a wonderful experience and why I want to support Jeff.

I’ve seen Jeff’s sensibility change into his job, gracefully and gradually leading with a lot of authority. I have spoken with [Jeff] Bewkes and Kevin [Tsujihara] and Barry [Meyer] but not in great detail as things are evolving at the studio. I’ve kept abreast. I’ve talked about it to Jeff. He’s what I really care about. How we’re going to make it down the road or get along without him I don’t know. Jeff naturally was very disappointed when he didn’t get the top job. He and I have spent a lot of time cultivating this relationship and I never thought that would have culminated in this career high or the most incredible year of my life.

Again, on the record, I don’t know what I would do if Jeff weren’t there. I don’t know from my view anyone else there who knows how to make movies. I would like to support him. So many places are filled with frustrations and run by people who haven’t been sure-footed or have the right taste. Hopefully, it’s about taste. Not everybody has it. Picking Zack Snyder was not obvious. Being able to take risks and make decisions not supported by conventional wisdom. Studios have the power and don’t often cede the power to the director.”

I also received this on-the-record statement from Baz Luhrmann at the same time which was right before The Great Gatsby hit theaters:

Last year, when we were moving towards a Christmas release date for Gatsby, Jeff Robinov said to me, ‘Perhaps you’ll be able to make the release date. But will it be the movie that you want it to be? If you had more time to work on the visual effects and music, would you have a better chance of realizing your vision for the film?’ Jeff was resolute that the most important thing was for me to do my best possible work, and by moving ‘Gatsby’ to the summer, he gave me the time and resources to do it. He showed incredible leadership in not being concerned with the possible media controversy about moving the release date; his sole concern was that Gatsby be the best film that it could be. For which I’ll always be profoundly grateful.

But no Warner Bros Pictures film relationship is more important than with Christopher Nolan. According to several accounts, Robinov’s relationship with Nolan began right after Memento was released in March 2001. Within a month, Nolan’s agent Dan Aloni called Robinov and told him he should meet with the helmer. At first Nolan was going to direct Troy (released in 2004) but wasn’t feeling it. With that Robinov asked if there was anything else Nolan wanted to do – and learned that the director had always had an interest in Batman. At the time, the studio didn’t have a take on a reboot of its lucrative DC Comics franchise. But Nolan came in and brilliantly pitched Robinov who immediately set up a meeting with then studio chief Alan Horn who also bought into it. Horn greenlighted Batman Begins and the entire new trilogy, with Robinov’s full backing, off just Nolan’s pitch. For the latest Superman reboot, screenwriter David S. Goyer and Nolan came to Robinov with what’s now referred to as “an incredible take” on a Man Of Steel reimagining. “Great visual. Great aesthetic. A lot of confidence.” It was Nolan’s idea to have Zack Snyder direct it and, even though Snyder’s previous movies had underperformed at the box office, Robinov back up Nolan’s decision-making – a rarity in Hollywood. As a measure of his loyalty to Robinov, Nolan recently insisted that the studio be included in the deal for Interstellar at Paramount.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:51 am

Variety:
Jeff Robinov Has Not Quit Warner Bros. But motion picture group chief's exit from studio appears inevitable
Rachel Abrams & Claudia Eller wrote:Jeff Robinov isn’t happy in his job, nor is Warner Bros. happy with him.

As expected, the parties will likely part company in coming weeks.

However, Robinov has not resigned his post as president of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group, as reported by several news outlets on Thursday. Nor is he expected to quit since that would preclude him from getting a multi-million dollar settlement on his contract, which expires at the end of 2014, plus an additional severance package. If he gets pushed out as his former colleague, Warner Bros. Television Group chief Bruce Rosenblum, did last month, he would then be entitled to collect what’s owed him.

As of late Thursday, there were no settlement talks between Warner Bros. or its parent company Time Warner and Robinov’s legal team.

Reps from Warner Bros. and Time Warner did not return multiple calls to Variety seeking comment for this story. Nor did Robinov respond to an inquiry.

Tensions between Robinov and his bosses, newly installed CEO Kevin Tsujihara and Time Warner chief Jeff Bewkes, have escalated to a boiling point that few believe can be resolved. Robinov’s relationship with Tsujihara has been particularly frayed since Tsujihara took over as chief executive and has been more hands-on in the movie division. Robinov had been accustomed to a lot of latitude under his former bosses, Warner Bros.’ outgoing chairman Barry Meyer and former Warner Bros. president Alan Horn.

Robinov took the week off from work (apparently to deal with personal matters such as an operation on his sinuses) and is expected to be back on the Warner lot on Monday. That said, the situation with his future there was described by one knowledgeable source as very “fluid.”

At the moment, Robinov has no other job lined up. He has no interest in being a producer, according to people who know him well, and would like to find another top studio job. But there are no such openings at the present time. The only potential slot is at 2oth Century Fox, where chairman Jim Gianopulos is known to be looking to bring in a No. 2 to help oversee the movie studio.

But sources insist that would be an unlikely move for Robinov, given that he would want the same greenlight authority he has at Warner Bros. Gianopulos, who was only recently given sole oversight of the studio after News Corp. ousted his longtime co-chair Tom Rothman, is not about to give up or share that authority.

With no job prospect in sight and no chance of a payout if he quits, Robinov has no motivation to abruptly walk away from his present post without being shown the door.

Robinov has been openly expressing his discontent at the studio ever since losing a nearly three-year run-off in January to succeed Meyer as chairman-CEO of the studio. In recent weeks his anger and unhappiness have been even more evident, say people who work with him.

He has been telling his colleagues that he doesn’t see a future for himself at Warner Bros. because his bosses have not given him a vote of confidence and assurances that they want him to stay after his current deal expires.

The upheaval with Robinov comes at an awkward moment, say some Warner insiders, noting that this is a time when the film team is basking in the glory of “Man of Steel’s” super debut last weekend. But Robinov has not been there to celebrate and congratulate those who work for him. The Superman movie opened with global ticket sales of $200 million.

Also, people at the studio were surprised when Robinov left the June 10 Gotham premiere party for “Man of Steel” after just 15 minutes.

Robinov’s impolitic behavior — which also included him hanging up on Meyer when he delivered the news that home entertainment honcho Tsujihara had been selected as his successor — has hurt him with the Warner Bros. brass despite his skills as a creative executive.

It is unclear when the next shoe will drop, but it is sure to be soon. There is speculation that once Robinov leaves his position, everyone on his team, including production president Greg Silverman, marketing chief Sue Kroll and distribution head Dan Fellman will report directly to Tsujihara at least until he can figure out a succession plan.

The Warner Bros.-Robinov rift adds to the management turmoil at the studio that was long known as the most stable of the majors.

Rosenblum, who competed for the top spot along with Robinov and Tsujihara, left the studio in May. Last week, he joined Legendary Entertainment as president of the company’s newly launched television and digital media division.

Subsid Legendary Pictures, which has been a longtime co-financing and production partner at Warner Bros., is also poised to leave the fold. Robinov and Legendary CEO Thomas Tull have had a tumultuous relationship over issues such as creative control. The relationship began to deteriorate once Horn (now chairman of Disney Studios) was forced out in 2011.

Robinov joined Warner Bros. Pictures in 1997, following five years as a lit agent at ICM, where he repped writers and directors including the Hughes brothers, Wachowski siblings, Chris McQuarrie and McG. He’s known for his talent relationships with certain filmmakers like Ben Affleck, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan.

While “Man of Steel” had a strong opening and “The Hangover Part III” has performed solidly, tracking for Warner Bros.’ big-budget July 12 release “Pacific Rim,” of which Legendary owns 75%, has been weak. WB is coming off of a disappointing first quarter, with a string of box office misfires, among them “Gangster Squad” and New Line Cinema’s “Jack the Giant Slayer” and “The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.”

Warner Bros. has high hopes for New Line’s “The Conjuring,” which bows July 19 and has had solid response from early test screenings. “We are The Millers,” also from New Line, opens later this summer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Screen Rant:
Zack Snyder Talks ‘Man of Steel 2′; Hints at Lex Luthor and Kryptonite in the Future

Source: Moviehole: Zack Snyder
Mandy Griffiths wrote:I hear the sequel has been greenlit, and you’ve already got your villain and setting laid out?

I’m going to be a hundred percent honest with you, I haven’t yet gotten to speak to the studio about all these awesome details (because I’ve been overseas on the junket). So my hope is, when I get home I can sit down with everyone and it’ll be like ‘Okay, so what are we going to do?.. we need to do something…

What are the questions you’re going to have answer next time out?

‘We almost destroyed the world last time, now what!?’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Pt.2

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 am

Warner Bros. Closing Massive Financing Deal With Dune to Replace Legendary (Exclusive)
UPDATED: The new deal, which would also include Brett Ratner's Ratpac Entertainment, will bring $400 million-plus to the studio.

Does this mean Ratner has a shot a directing the Justice League movie?
CBM:
Warner Bros. Replacing Legendary With Dune Entertainment
Mark Julian wrote:How long before DC Comics adaptations bear the logos of DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. and Dune Entertainment? Dune, a subsidiary of Dune Capital, was previously attached at the hip with 20th Century Fox and co-financed James Cameron's "Avatar." With all signs pointing to Legendary partnering with NBC Universal, WB needed a new financial supporter for its upcoming film slate and they've found it in the $400 million dollars Dune brings to the table. The Hollywood Reporter is already reporting that Dune will foot some of the bill for Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel."

A key difference between the deal WB had with Legendary and the deal the studio is negotiating with Dune is that WB will be able to use Dune's $400M as they see fit. Legendary had the option to pick and chose which films they would co-finance. With that difference, is it possible that WB will now look to take more chances and adapt a few B and C-list superhero characters?

Brett Ratner On The J.J. Abrams’ Superman That Might Have Been
Published by Jennifer Vineyard on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 12:25 pm.

Once upon a time, Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner swapped movies – Brett got the third “X-Men” and Bryan got “Superman,” which in his hands was “Superman Returns” starring Brandon Routh. We all know how that turned out.

But what would have happened if Ratner had continued along his merry way and done the “Superman” he wanted? What would it have been about? Brendan Fraser, who saw the script written by J.J. Abrams, was impressed. So was Ratner, who filled us in on the storyline and casting plans.

“The original movie I was going to be a part of,” Ratner said, “took place on Krypton for about half of the movie. So it was much more otherworldly, and much darker, because there was a civil war on Krypton. You’d get more of the history.”

“The Death of Superman” and the art of Alex Ross.

“That wasn’t just darker, but cooler, in my mind,” Ratner said. “That was what we were going to model the visuals after. When you have to translate it to a cinematic world, it’s a whole different animal, and he’s one of the best Superman artists I’ve ever seen.”

If it’s as dark as Warner Bros. wants for their reboot of Superman, Ratner still has a shot at making it: “Maybe we can go back to it one day,” he said.

But sorry, Brendan Fraser, that’s not a shot for you, too. “I definitely agreed with Bryan Singer that you need an unknown actor,” Ratner said. “I was going to surround Superman with known actors, but it’s important to get an unknown. I love Tom Cruise, but to have someone like him who you see as Tom Cruise would be a mistake.”

source: MTV
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:30 am

Time Warner's CEO Presents at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference (Transcript)
Kevin Tsujihara

Then you have 12 to 14 pictures coming from Warner Bros. And I think the basis, foundation of those 12 to 14 pictures are going to be coming from DC Entertainment. We have Batman versus Superman coming out in ’15, but those are going to be in the coming months a lot of announcements regarding kind of the future movie, television, games and consumer product pieces that are going to be coming from DC.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Warner Bros. Closes $450 Million Financing Deal With Dune, Brett Ratner's RatPac (Exclusive)
UPDATED: The deal will cover Warners' entire movie slate up to 75 titles, and would last three or four years.

Tatiana Siegel wrote:According to a source, a quiet negotiation took place that resulted in Ratner not having creative input on the films, a move that Ratner fully supported. As part of the deal, the director-producer won't provide notes or be in the editing room on the titles, though his RatPac logo will grace the films.

The new RatPac-Dune deal would be different than Warners' arrangement with Legendary, which could cherry-pick the movies it financed. Multiple sources say the arrangement also will cover a portion of Man of Steel, the pricey Superman reboot that opened in June.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

What's next for DC Films and Warner?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:09 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:46 am

Why Warner Bros. Trademarked 'Nightwing'
While insiders tell THR that studios like Sony feel aggressive trademarking is a waste, Warners may be the most aggressive operation in Hollywood in marking its legal turf.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 am

Want A DC Comic Book Movie? Suicide Squad, Booster Gold Or Deathstroke? Gotta Get A Goyer
Rich Johnston wrote:He wrote Kickboxer 2: The Road Back.

But then he wrote The Crow: City Of Angels

He wrote Nick Fury: Agent Of SHIELD. The one starring The Hoff.

He wrote Blade I, II and III.

He wrote Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises.

He wrote Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance.

And then he wrote Man of Steel.

Basically, if you want a comic book movie made, you go to David Goyer. And now DC Comics won’t have it any other way.

I understand that people looking at making films based on the likes of Suicide Squad, Booster Gold, Deathstroke and even Team 7 have been told that they have to partner or work with Goyer as producer.

Which is why Geoff Johns‘ Sandman movie project has David Goyer at the helm, and not Gaiman - though it’s not certain Goyer will write the screenplay himself, he will be pretty darn hands on.

Some producers, used to being the Alpha Dog on their projects, are less than thrilled to have to take a reduced producer role where Goyer would supervise.

On the other hand: people have been looking at, in however a preliminary fashion, films based on the likes of Suicide Squad, Booster Gold, Deathstroke and even Team 7.

Seems that Goyer’s success on Batman and now Superman has resulted in Goyer being referred to by one producer as DC’s “Feige”, after Marvel’s Kevin Feige.

Gotta get a Goyer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Aquaman in 2016?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:17 pm

DC Wants Aquaman To Make A Bigger Splash
Brian Steinberg wrote:In the comics, Aquaman is, more or less, King of the Seven Seas. In Hollywood, the veteran superhero is treated like a three-day-old tuna fish sandwich.

Despite his long tenure in the pages of DC Entertainment’s comics, the sea-soaked adventurer has, over the decades, seemed all wet. While Aquaman is recognized as king of the undersea country of Atlantis, writers have had problems dealing with him when he’s asked to take part in land-based adventures with the publisher’s vaunted Justice League of America, of which he’s a charter member. And despite a multitude of page-turning exploits – he’s had part of his arm amputated and, in a family tragedy rarely seen in the four-color pages of the comics, lost a baby son to villainy – Aquaman is still viewed as decidedly second-tier.

Is it his odd orange-and-green wardrobe? A writer’s fear of the water? Telepathic fish-commanding powers that are difficult to depict on the printed page? It’s hard to know. But while other DC heroes like Superman, Batman, and Green Arrow have enjoyed heady success at the movies and on TV, Aquaman has not: In recent years, his attempts at stardom include a failed pilot at The CW (network insiders say it was awful) and status as a long-running gag on HBO’s “Entourage” (where the central character played Aquaman in a fictional blockbuster).

At DC, efforts have been afoot for months to help Aquaman, well, catch a wave. “He’s a priority character for the company,” said Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer.

Already, the company has announced plans for an animated Aquaman tale to be issued soon via DVD. Sales on Johns’ “Aquaman” series have remained steady, according to data from Diamond Comic Distributors, and the title routinely places in the top 50 comics sold each month to comic book specialty shops. In October, “Aquaman #25” sold about 42,248 copies, according to Comichron, a web site that tracks comic-book sales. That’s a few thousand more comics sold than Marvel’s cult-favorite archer “Hawkeye” and even more than former Batman sidekick “Nightwing,” but fewer than those notched by Batman, The Avengers or The X-Men.

Johns is about to wrap up about three years of work on reviving the character – strengthening his supporting cast and building an ongoing monthly series. His last issue of “Aquaman,” the series’ 25th, debuts Wednesday. Starting next month, the Sea King’s adventures will be penned by Jeff Parker, a comics scribe best known, perhaps, for his work on “Agents of Atlas,” a Marvel seres that built a group of unaffiliated characters from the 1940s and 1950s into a team. Will he be able to lend the character new depths?

“Aquaman’s root problem is that he’s boring,” said Peter Coogan, author of the 2006 book “Superhero: The Secret Origin of a Genre.” Plotlines that might drum up new interest, he said, come with limitations. Playing up the character’s royal heritage might set him at odds with surface governments, potentially turning him into a villain. Setting him up as an advocate for the oceans could also draw him into conflict. “In many ways, he suffers from the problems that plague King Arthur as a main character,” said Coogan, including being too fraught with responsibility, “which is why most Arthurian stories are not about Arthur but about his knights.”

Aquaman’s voyage is of more importance to DC than one might think. The Time Warner-owned unit is eager to take more of its comic-book celebrities and make them stars of TV, movies and other entertainment properties. In recent months, characters like The Flash and Commissioner Gordon, for example, have been assigned TV projects, while speculation has intensified over the future of DC’s film projects since actor Ben Affleck was named to take over the role of Batman.

If nothing else, Aquaman is durable. Aside from Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Arrow, only Aquaman, who debuted in 1941, has appeared continuously throughout DC’s history, and in the same costume and likeness (characters like The Flash, Green Lantern and the Atom were reworked entirely from their original incarnations as part of a movement in the 1960s). And Johns has quietly worked to shore up cracks in Aquaman’s famous orange tunic.

When penning an earlier DC miniseries, “Blackest Night,” in 2009 and 2010, Johns turned a large spotlight on Mera, Aquaman’s wife, giving her more presence and personality than she’s had in decades. “What I wanted to do was establish Mera alongside Green Lantern and The Flash in a very big way,” Johns explained, noting that he derived inspiration from the Queen Gorgo character in the 2007 Zack Snyder movie, “300.” Rather than playing up Aquaman’s Atlantis connections, Johns said he deliberately focused on developing his personality, supporting cast and enemies like Black Manta and the Ocean Master.

“There is no doubt in my mind that this is one of the most well-known characters among super-heroes, and in popular culture,” said Johns. The ocean setting, he suggested, should work to a writer’s advantage. “We are finding new areas in the ocean every day. It’s as alien as going to outer space,” he said.

For many, Aquaman remains a figure from Saturday-morning cartoons, like ABC’s 1970s and 1980’s “Super Friends” or CBS’ “Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure,” which ran in 1967 and 1968.

Those memories may hurt the character in his current incarnation, said Brad Ricca, author of 2013’s “Super Boys: The Amazing Adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster, The Creators of Superman.” In the 1970s cartoons, he said, “Aquaman smiled and looked perfect while riding a giant seahorse and mentally bossing around happy whales. He was, quite plainly, just not as cool as Batman.”

DC’s Johns believes a better structure is now in place. “He became a little bit of a joke,” the comics executive said. “Suddenly, he was nobody’s favorite super hero.” Now, DC has set up major storylines in coming months that will cross his comic with its “Justice League” and has given the character prominent placement in videogames. And his comics contain jokey references to the hero’s past portrayals. “He’s a character that we talk quite a bit about.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:44 am

I have been playing some videogames in which Deathstroke appears as a character and I think he's pretty cool. In the videogames he is typically depicted as a bad guy, so I found it odd that they are considering making a movie in which he is the main character, so I did some Wikiresearch and found out he is also an anti-hero/flawed hero in some stories. I think they could make a good mid-budget action flick with him and it would be the type of thing I would enjoy because I generally enjoy movies of merc/hitman variety. It could probably turn out like that PUNISHER: WAR ZONE movie that I really liked (they could even get Ray Stevenson to play him.) or like that DREDD movie that everybody else liked way more than I did.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:54 am

A closer look at Warner's ongoing DC 'problem,' and one possible solution
Of course you want a 'Justice League' movie, but this isn't how you get there
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SGT. ROCK

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:48 am

Steven E. de Souza Talks Commando 2, Sgt. Rock, the Flash Gordon Movie You May Never See, and Much More!
Mike Cecchini wrote:You wrote a screenplay for Sgt. Rock that I seem to remember was moving along pretty well back in the ‘80s. Whatever happened to it?

Sgt. Rock was actually greenlit and it was fast-tracked. They had sent people to do a location scout in the former Yugoslavia, John McTiernan was gonna direct it, it was on a schedule, and it had a release date. But what happened was, I had already written two scripts for Arnold: Commando and The Running Man, and we worked well together. We put this movie together and at the very first meeting, he said to Joel Silver (Arnold voice), “I just bought a house in Park City, Utah and Clint Eastwood is always making his movies there and then he drives home, while I’m schlepping all over the world. So I’d like to make this movie in Park City, and Clint does all his locations right there and uses local talent, and I want that in my contract.” And Joel said “You got it!”

The writer’s strike had just happened, but luckily I had already done my outline, and for someone like me, who had already worked in television, it was easy to just kind of punt and jump off with an outline. If I say “these ten sets have to be built” they know I’m not gonna change my mind and say, “well, I changed my mind, there is no dentist’s office” or whatever. So they started early preparations so we could hit the ground running when the strike ended. Within two weeks of the strike ending, I had my script.

So now they had people going out to do location scouting and they were casting the movie. Arnold came in to get fitted for his WWII army uniform, and the costume designer said to him, “I can’t wait ‘til we start filming. They say the Adriatic Coast is just like the Mediterranean!” And Arnold said (Arnold voice), “Vat?” And she says, “You know, the Yugoslavian coast, the beaches and resorts are fabulous.” And Arnold, with his pants still pinned up, walked right over to the front office of the studio and said, “I said that I wouldn’t leave the continental US for this project. What’s going on here?” As I understand it, they called Joel Silver, John McTiernan, and some executives over, and, whatever happened in that room, I wasn’t present, but Arnold and Joel never spoke again. Arnold left the project, and McTiernan left, too. The fact that Arnold didn’t make the movie and didn’t get sued makes me think that somewhere there must have been a binding memo from a lawyer or from within the studio confirming that he was promised a US shoot. So that’s why the movie came to a complete halt.

Was Arnold’s accent going to be an issue?

It was written and tailored exactly for Arnold, and we had it set up so that Sgt. Rock was Austrian and his family had been killed by the Nazis. It’s like, he climbed over the mountains right behind the Von Trapp family. Nobody else could have filled that role the way it was written, so three years later I heard they tried to resurrect it again and it’s had about five or six writers since then. The last thing I heard was that it was going to be in the future, which is really a boneheaded idea in my opinion.

Wasn’t Bruce Willis’ name brought up for Sgt. Rock at one point, as well?

At one point they did say Bruce Willis was going to do it. But actually, the character in the comics is more like Arnold. He doesn’t speak very much. He’s tough, and he’s not a wiseguy, Bruce Willis type character. I mean, you can adapt it and get a different version of Sgt. Rock, but this would have been a perfect role for Arnold. Or Liam Neeson. Liam Neeson could play Sgt. Rock! He’s supposed to be an older guy. The truth is that in WWII in the army, an “older guy” was about 35. But on the screen most actors are gonna be late-20s, early 30s in an action movie, so an “older crusty sergeant” could actually be older. When John Wayne was playing a crusty sergeant, he was already like, 40. I think at a certain point you’re too young to play a role like that. The best person to ever play Sgt. Rock was Lee Marvin in The Big Red One!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:11 am

Warner Bros Moving To Elevate Production Pair After Lynn Harris’ Exit
Mike Fleming wrote:In the wake of Lynn Harris exiting Warner Bros as EVP Production, possibly to join Jeff Robinov’s shingle that’s taking shape at Sony, veteran Warner Bros execs Jon Berg and Courtenay Valenti are in the process of being promoted, I hear. Word is that Berg might have a supervisory role in DC Comics movie transfers, but all of this should become clear over the next couple of weeks.

Lynn Harris Exits Warner Bros Exec Post; Could A Jeff Robinov Re-Team Be In The Cards?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Warner’s C.E.O. Is Bullish on the Big Screen
BROOKS BARNES wrote:This summer, Warner will release eight movies, compared with five in the same period last year — the most of any studio. It’s an aggressive gamble that has some analysts worried; only one of the films, “Godzilla,” is a lower-risk remake or sequel. “If we were in charge of Warner’s studio, we would HIGHLY consider moving one or two of these films to later in the year or early 2015,” Doug Creutz, an analyst at Cowen & Company, wrote in a research note.

While acknowledging the risk, Mr. Tsujihara sees an opportunity to start new franchises and to send a message to Hollywood’s top writers and directors: Bring your projects to Warner, because we are not pulling back. A steadily pumping pipeline of movies also suggests an optimism about the future of home entertainment. He sees evidence that studios are starting to train consumers to buy movies digitally (big profit) rather than renting them (small profit) or watching pirated copies (no profit).

BROOKS BARNES wrote:Not everyone is such a fan. A few Hollywood players have suggested, for instance, that Mr. Tsujihara has had a successful early run largely because Mr. Robinov left behind hit movies, including “Gravity,” which took in $715 million worldwide and won seven Academy Awards. Asked about the sniping “Gravity” chatter in particular, Mr. Tsujihara said: “I don’t think it’s catty. Quite frankly, Jeff deserves the praise.”

Mr. Tsujihara faces the same daunting challenges as any Hollywood studio chief: scraping for material to make into hit television shows and movies, pushing into restrictive but booming international markets and finding ways to meaningfully cut marketing expenses, something that he called “our next big opportunity.”

But Warner also has unique puzzles. Efforts to resuscitate its Looney Tunes animation franchise have repeatedly failed to gain traction. The studio has been painfully slow to establish a slate of films based on DC Comics characters like Wonder Woman and the Flash, watching as Disney’s Marvel Entertainment churns out one superhero hit after another.

BROOKS BARNES wrote:As for DC Entertainment, cross-studio collaboration to make better use of its comic book characters appears to have accelerated considerably since Mr. Tsujihara took over, in part because he eliminated some management layers. (He has not named a chief operating officer and did not replace Mr. Rosenblum and Mr. Robinov, choosing instead to divide up their duties and assume some himself.) Two new television shows are coming to the CW and Fox, including one based on the Flash and another on a young Batman, and a film series will be announced in the near future, Mr. Tsujihara said. It is expected to include a “Justice League” movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:02 pm

‘Godzilla’ Roars at Warner Bros’ Big, Bad Marathon CinemaCon Preview
Brent Lang wrote:Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara made clear that the studio will be seeking to make 20 to 22 films annually, even as other studios scale back their production. “It's a good opportunity to expand our footprint,” he told the crowd.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 pm

David Goyer Says Warner Brothers Would Love to Make Their DC Universe More Cohesive
"You have to admire what Marvel's done. It's really hard to create a brand."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:23 am

Warner Bros. on a Caped Crusade
DC Comics Plots Film, TV Comeback vs. Disney's Marvel
Ben Fritz wrote:'It isn't about a single approach to everything,' says DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson, shown at the 'Man Of Steel' world premiere. Invision/Associated Press

More than a decade ago, a young Warner Bros. executive fretted that the studio's DC Comics unit might lose a generation of young fans if it didn't catch up to rival Marvel in the business of making superhero movies.

"We're not going to let that happen," declared Kevin Tsujihara, then-executive vice president of business development, in 2003.

But over the past several years at the box office, DC Comics has fallen even further behind Marvel, now owned by Walt Disney Co. DIS -1.71%

Mr. Tsujihara, meanwhile, rose to become chief executive of Time Warner Inc. TWX -0.67% 's Warner Bros. Now, one year into his tenure, he has put a revival of DC in movies, TV and other media at the core of his plans for Hollywood's largest movie studio.

"If you want to know how we are going to grow as a company and what's important to us, DC is at the top of the list," Mr. Tsujihara said.

To that end, Warner Bros. is focusing like never before on a DC movie slate that will lead into "Justice League," an "Avengers" style team-up that will include Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. But the next movie, tentatively titled "Batman vs. Superman," won't come out until 2016. During the interim, Disney will release four new Marvel films.

In the past five years, Disney has released seven Marvel movies, including "Avengers," "Iron Man 3" and the recent hit "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," that have together grossed more than $5.3 billion world-wide. (On Friday, the latest Marvel movie—"The Amazing Spider-Man 2"—comes out, although that is produced by Sony Pictures under a decades-old licensing deal.)

Warner in the past five years released five DC films, among them the flops "Green Lantern" and "Jonah Hex," that grossed a total of just over $2 billion. DC's big-screen success in the past decade has come from Christopher Nolan, who directed the $2.5 billion-grossing "Dark Knight" trilogy and produced last year's hit "Man of Steel."

But the fiercely independent Mr. Nolan didn't work within a larger DC strategy and has declined entreaties to do more superhero movies. Warner has now entrusted its core superheroes to "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder, who will helm "Superman vs. Batman" and then "Justice League." It also has nine other movies based on DC comics in development.

Progress is faster in television, as Warner has produced a record four DC-based pilots for the coming fall season. They include the Batman prequel "Gotham," already ordered to series by the Fox network, and "Flash," a spinoff of the CW Network's superhero hit "Arrow."

Warner is also looking to accelerate the success it has enjoyed using DC characters in direct-to-DVD animation and videogames, businesses in which it faces little competition from Marvel.

Warner Bros. produces more movies and television shows than any other studio. But like its competitors, it faces long-term declines in movie-theater attendance, DVD sales, and broadcast-TV ratings. And with the "Harry Potter" series over and "The Hobbit" trilogy ending this December, finding new blockbuster franchises is critical to the company's future.

Hollywood's advantage in an age when anyone can make a YouTube video is its ability to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on movies or TV shows featuring well-known characters with established fan bases. In success, those often spur sales of toys and other products. With thousands of superheroes along with more offbeat fare from its Vertigo line of fantasy, sci-fi and crime comic books, 90-year-old DC Comics provides Warner rich fodder.

Warner Bros. has struggled, though, to integrate DC into its operations for many years. Over the past decade, the head of DC has reported to four different executives. Although comic-book sales were falling while the value of superheroes in movies and other media skyrocketed, the unit was run by a New York-based publisher.

In 2009, a long-promised revamp began with the appointment of Diane Nelson as president of DC Entertainment, based at the studio's Burbank, Calif., headquarters. A marketing executive with no background in comic books, Ms. Nelson made her name managing the studio's biggest franchise of the prior decade: Harry Potter.

Ms. Nelson first reported to the film chief, one of three internal contenders for the CEO job at Warner Bros. The succession race hampered her efforts to work across divisions led by rival executives, according to people at the company.

Last year, soon after Mr. Tsujihara's promotion, Ms. Nelson began reporting to the CEO for the first time in DC's history.

"Kevin came into a political, complicated company and made clear DC is a priority, and I expect everyone to figure this out together," said Ms. Nelson.

Although she oversees the small but profitable comics business, where digital publishing has become a priority, Ms. Nelson's focus is coordinating a studio-wide DC strategy.

Her approach is the opposite of Marvel, which maintains a continuing narrative and cast of characters across all of its projects. Samuel L. Jackson, for instance, has appeared as superspy Nick Fury in "Avengers," "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and the TV show "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Ms. Nelson has instead encouraged Warner producers to develop diverse and even contradictory takes. The Batman in "Superman vs Batman," to be played by Ben Affleck, will be different from the one in "Gotham" and in coming direct-to-DVD animated movies and videogames. A kid-friendly version of Batman even appeared in February's hit "The Lego Movie."

"It isn't about a single approach to everything," said Ms. Nelson. "It's the right character matched with the right talent in the right medium."

DC's chief content officer, Geoff Johns, is tasked with keeping track of it all. A fan-favorite comic-book writer who is the T-shirt wearing geek to Ms. Nelson's polished corporate player, Mr. Johns consults on scripts, visual designs and even titles across the company.

Colleagues say his approach is less nitpicky than his predecessors', with one recalling the time when DC staffers in New York asked an animation executive to change a script because the villain Man-Bat wouldn't be physically strong enough to carry the Penguin (the Batman foe) on his back.

"The restrictions have been swept aside," said Sam Register, the head of Warner Bros. Animation. "We get less 'You mustn't' and more 'Wouldn't it be great if…?' "
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:57 am

Hot Hollywood Trend: Two Scripts, One Movie
Warner Bros. and Universal double-booked writers to take first passes on separate drafts for "Tarzan" and "The Mummy," respectively.
Borys Kit wrote:Are two heads truly better than one? Warner Bros. hired writers Adam Cozad and Craig Brewer to each pen separate scripts for Tarzan, now in preproduction with Alexander Skarsgard and Margot Robbie starring. The studio preferred Cozad's action and structure elements and Brewer's characterization, so it fused both drafts. (Cozad now is working with director David Yates to finalize the film.)

And Tarzan isn't alone. Universal's The Mummy reboot also had two scribes, Jon Spaihts and Billy Ray, working concurrently before the studio focused on Spaihts' draft. Warners simultaneously is developing a live-action Scooby-Doo reboot, with a script by Randall Green, and an animated theatrical feature. Executives and agents say double hirings are on the rise partly because of the demands of the tentpole era. Dates for movies often are set while projects still are in development, creating urgency to move fast. And with reboots and reimaginings, studios sometimes ask for multiple takes before jigsawing the scripts together.

"It's not an epidemic, but it's definitely a newer phenomenon," says one studio-based exec. And it's not going away anytime soon. Insiders say that Warners also is using the method for its supersecret DC Comics projects.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC Entertainment Announcements

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 pm

What Warner Bros/DC Comics Is Planning At Comic-Con In July
Nikki Finke wrote:We know that Warner Bros Pictures is way behind Marvel Studios when it comes to making movies out of its comic book properties. But I have intel on what is coming up at this July’s Comic-Con from the studio. A lot of stuff remains in flux but my sources have so far:

May 2016 – Batman v Superman
    July 2016 – Shazam
    Xmas 2016 – Sandman
    May 2017 – Justice League
    July 2017 – Wonder Woman
    Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
    May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

There had been talk of a Metal Men and Suicide Squad movie for sometime in 2016 but that project fell off the schedule.

Meanwhile, if you were wondering why Batman v Superman was delayed, it wasn’t the script or Ben Affleck or Jesse Eisenberg but with the fact that this pic will act as a launching pad for the Justice League. According to my source, “Like Marvel’s The Avengers, there will be cameos of superheroes for future installments. The cameos will include the already known Cyborg and Flash. Green Lantern [not played by Ryan Reynolds, thank god] may be introduced. And Aquaman will be seen in the Justice League movie. Problem is, Warner Bros Pictures was still negotiating with the actors for those cameos and future roles, meaning major contracts for multiple JL/character films to follow. The studio didn’t want to move forward until they had more of this secure so they held off starting production for a few months. Seemingly simple reason, but the implications are pretty darn huge.”

Comic-Con Crapfest: Movies
Nikki Finke wrote:WARNER BROS/DC:
The studio wimped out on all its planned big announcements for upcoming films.
(Long sigh… These execs just delay and then delay some more, ad nauseam.)

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Release Date Moved Up to March 25, 2016
Adam Chitwood wrote:But the Batman v Superman release date news isn’t all! Taking a page out of Marvel’s book, Warner Bros. has set release dates for 9 untitled DC films and 2 “event films”. Check them out below:

Untitled DC Film — August 5, 2016
    Untitled DC Film – June 23, 2017
    Untitled DC Film – November 17, 2017
    Untitled DC Film – March 23, 2018
    Untitled DC Film – July 27, 2018
    Untitled WB Event Film – November 16, 2018
    Untitled DC Film – April 5, 2019
    Untitled DC Film – June 14, 2019
    Untitled DC Film – April 3, 2020
    Untitled DC Film – June 19, 2020
    Untitled WB Event Film – November 20, 2020

That’s, uh, ambitious. The only other confirmed DC film in development at Warner Bros. is Justice League, which Zack Snyder will direct after he wraps BvS
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:45 am

Warner Bros Pics Dates DC Films
Nikki Finke wrote:UPDATED:
Oh ye of little faith. Granted, the dates don’t exactly line up with what I reported on June 12th but nearly everyone agrees that the titles are still right: Batman v Superman, Shazam, Sandman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Flash And Green Lantern (team-up), Man Of Steel 2 in that order. (There had been talk of a Metal Men and Suicide Squad movie but that project fell off the schedule I received back then.) It turned out that Warner Bros Pictures and DC Entertainment weren’t ready by Comic-Con to announce the future schedule. In the meantime, they’ve have had the benefit of learning Marvel’s future movie schedule. Today, Warner Bros Pictures announced that Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice moves from May 6, 2016 to March 25, 2016, to avoid Marvel’s Captain America 3. Because we all know the cinematic superhero universe would end if those blockbusters battled against each other.

The WB sked looks like this:
    March 25, 2016 – Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice
    August 5, 2016 – Untitled DC Film
    June 23, 2017 – Untitled DC Film
    November 17, 2017 – Untitled DC Film
    March 23, 2018 – Untitled DC Film
    May 25, 2018 – Untitled Lego Movie
    July 27, 2018 – Untitled DC Film
    November 16, 2018 – Untitled WB Event Film
    April 5, 2019 – Untitled DC Film
    May 24, 2019 – Untitled Lego film
    June 14, 2019 – Untitled DC Film
    April 3, 2020 – Untitled DC Film
    June 19, 2020 – Untitled DC Film
    November 20, 2020 – Untitled WB Event Film

And Marvel’s schedule is here:
    May 1, 2015 – The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    July 17, 2015 - Ant-Man
    May 6, 2016 - Captain America 3
    July 8, 2016 - Doctor Strange
    May 5, 2017 – Untitled Marvel film
    July 28, 2017 - Guardians Of The Galaxy 2
    November 3, 2017 – Untitled Marvel film
    May 4, 2018 – Untitled Marvel film
    July 6, 2018 – Untitled Marvel film
    November 2, 2018 – Untitled Marvel film
    May 3, 2019 – Untitled Marvel film
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:18 pm

BAD:
Warner Bros Reveals Their DC Movies Release Dates
Devin Faraci wrote:I'd place money on the June 2017 movie being Justice League, and Justice League 2 being the June 2020 movie, but what about everything else?

The Wrap:
Warner Bros. Blinks in Marvel Showdown: ‘Batman v Superman’ Avoids ‘Captain America 3'
Jeff Sneider and Todd Cunningham wrote:A Warner Bros. insider explained the decision thusly: “Not flinching – it's a fantastic corridor for us.”

Indeed, March is becoming an increasingly popular month to release tentpoles, and “The Hunger Games” is just one example of a recent blockbuster movie that has opened in late March.

Another individual familiar with the studio's thinking said that WB had the confidence to make such a move because Disney and Marvel have had success in creating new corridors for their comic book movies “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” (early April) and “Guardians of the Galaxy” (early August).

Meanwhile, Warner Bros. has traditionally seen November as a launch pad for its “Harry Potter” movies, and it's possible that the two “event films” referenced below are sequels to J.K. Rowling‘s spinoff “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” which WB will release on Nov. 18, 2016. Several months ago, the New York Times reported that Warner Bros. wanted to turn “Fantastic Beasts” into a trilogy of “megamovies.”

THR:
Warner Bros. dates no fewer than nine untitled DC Comics titles all the way through June 2020.
Pamela McClintock wrote:That means two superhero movies a year from Warner Bros., beginning in 2016.

With the move, Warners and DC are essentially declaring war on Marvel and Disney, which have been the most prolific suppliers of superhero titles.

Warners also laid claim to Nov. 16, 2018, and Nov. 20, 2020, likely for the second and third installments in J.K. Rowling's Fantastic Beasts triology (the first film hits theaters in 2016).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:22 pm

'Batman v Superman' versus 'Captain America': The superhero showdown that everybody won
Jeff Labrecque wrote:“The reality now is there really isn’t a bad week to open a movie,” says Dan Fellman, Warner Bros.’ president of domestic distribution. “If you look at the summer box office this year, you can see that there were so many movies, one after the other. You can start with Spider-Man, two weeks later Godzilla, and then Maleficent, and then Edge of Tomorrow, and then Jump Street and Transformers. And the one thing they all had in common, not one of them did over $250 million. We’ll be the first one up [in 2016], which is very important, and we’ll have six weeks before Captain America comes in.”

Fellman says that some of those untitled DC movies should begin to be announced later this month—Shazam?—and that the first real Justice League adventure might be closer than you think. Might they build on the momentum of Dawn of Justice in 2016 with a quick sequel incorporating more classic characters, rather than waiting the traditional two or three years? “While it hasn’t been officially announced,” teases Fellman. “I think it’s a pretty good bet.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Wes Anderson's Aquaman in 2016?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:22 pm

THR:
'Aquaman' Movie Hooks Two Writers (Exclusive)
Will Beall, who wrote 'Gangster Squad,' and Kurt Johnstad, who wrote '300: Rise of an Empire,' are tackling two separate scripts for Warner Bros.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:08 pm

"NO JOKES"
Why Superman and Batman may lose the war to Marvel before they even begin
It's all going to come down to people falling in love with these icons
Moriarty wrote:Last week was about the fifth time I've heard that there is a mandate at Warner Bros. regarding any of the DC superhero films in development, and it's very simple and direct and to the point.

"No jokes."

It would seem like a crazy rule to set for an entire series of films. How can you know what the tone is for every story you'll be telling in a series before you've even started telling it? The thing is, DC has taken a few stabs at establishing this larger universe on film, and they've gotten smacked down for everything that hasn't had Batman in it. "Man Of Steel" made money, and I'm certainly not the only person to like the film. I may be one of its more ardent defenders, but I'm not alone. I think you'd have a far harder time finding someone to defend "Green Lantern," the studio's other big attempt at launching one of the core Justice League characters with a film franchise of his own.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 am

That part at the end of MAN OF STEEL where Superman trashes a drone and the soldier chick says something like "He's so dreamy!", that was a joke, wasn't it?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 am

Spandau Belly wrote:That part at the end of MAN OF STEEL where Superman trashes a drone and the soldier chick says something like "He's so dreamy!", that was a joke, wasn't it?

nobody laughed; hence it wasn't a joke.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm

That was easily the most tragic moment in the film.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:12 pm

“This is the fun-vee…the humdrum-vee is back there.”
Iron Man

"D'you see anybody having fun?"
Scrooged

"No Capes!"
The Incredibles

"How the fuck am I funny, what the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!"
Goodfellas
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

GRIM & GRITTY CHiPS REBOOT

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:36 pm

Well it's about fucking time.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:11 pm

i hear Anne Hathaway is being considered for the part of Rodney King.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 pm

'CHiPS' the Grim & Gritty reboot. It's like Training Day on motorcycles.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

GRIM & GRITTY LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES REBOOT

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:22 pm

There Could Be A LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES Movie In Your Future
In the wake of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY DC is thinking of adapting their great space story.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

GRIM & GRITTY SUICIDE SQUAD MOVIE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Warner Bros. Circling David Ayer for DC Comics’ ‘Suicide Squad’ (Exclusive)
Justin Kroll wrote:With several unnamed DC Comic films already slated for release through 2020, it looks like one of those pics has been unveiled.

Sources tell Variety that “Fury” director David Ayer is the choice to direct “Suicide Squad,” based on the DC comic book series.

It is unknown where things stand in the dealmaking process as Warners would not comment, but sources say the studio feels Ayer is a good fit for the dark and edgy film.

Dan Lin is producing the pic from a script by Justin Marks.

The original comic series focused on a team of supervillains who were given a second chance by the government for redemption. The catch is that the mission they are sent on will likely end up killing all of them.

The group doesn’t include any major DC supervillains like the Joker or Lex Luthor, but the characters will likely have an opportunity to cross over between other DC properties and vice versa for non-Suicide Squad members appearing in this film.

Ayer is best known for his realistic and gritty cop dramas like “End of Watch” and “Training Day.” His much buzzed-about WWII pic “Fury” is bowing in October.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GRIM & GRITTY SUICIDE SQUAD MOVIE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:02 pm

DCverse release dates:

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
“Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
“Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
“Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)
“The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
“Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
“Shazam” (2019)
“Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
“Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
“Green Lantern” (2020)

Seems a bit of a strange decision to go with Suicide Squad.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:21 pm

What happened to Sandman?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Ribbons wrote:What happened to Sandman?

Don't know. And what happened to Man of Steel 2?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 am

Fried Gold wrote:DCverse release dates:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice directed by Zack Snyder (2016)

Suicide Squad directed by David Ayer (2016)

Wonder Woman starring Gal Gadot (2017)

Justice League Part One directed by Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)

The Flash starring Ezra Miller (2018)

Aquaman starring Jason Momoa (2018)

Shazam (2019)

Justice League Part Two directed by Zack Snyder (2019)

Cyborg starring Ray Fisher (2020)

Green Lantern (2020)
Seems a bit of a strange decision to go with Suicide Squad.

Fried Gold wrote:

Don't know. And what happened to Man of Steel 2?

Warner Bros. Announces 10 DC Movies, 3 Lego Movies and 3 'Harry Potter' Spinoffs
In a press release following Tuijhara’s announcement, Warners noted that the DC slate consisted of “at least” these 10 movies, “as well as standalone Batman and Superman films.”

‘Batman’ & ‘Superman’ Will Get New Standalone Movies Before 2020

All of the movies will be origin stories. :wink:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:46 pm

‘Doctor Strange’ Update: Colin Farrell Enters the Mix, But Don't Count Out Benedict or Joaquin (Exclusive)
Jeff Sneider wrote:Tom Hardy was once rumored to be in contention for “Doctor Strange,” though he has recently been courted for WB's “Suicide Squad” and the title role in “X-Men: Apocalypse,” so don't expect to see him join the MCU anytime soon.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: What's next for Vertigo Films and Warner?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:10 am

Neil Gaiman wrote:“It’s not a DC Comics film. It’s a Vertigo film. That’s a different slate of films, and a different announcement.”

Film School Rejects:
If Neil Gaiman Really is Developing a Vertigo Universe… What Comics Should He Choose?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:30 am

Jai Courtney Eyed for Batman Villain Deadshot in ‘Suicide Squad’ (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:Tom Hardy, Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto are also in various stages of discussions to join the super-villainous movie, which is being written and directed by “Fury” filmmaker David Ayer.

Warner Bros. is courting Leto to play the Joker in the film, Robbie for Harley Quinn and Hardy for Rick Flag, a founding member of the Suicide Squad. As for Smith, it’s uncertain which character he will play, but sources say it’s likely the Flash nemesis Digger Harkness a.k.a. Captain Boomerang.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News