Doom Patrol?!?!?

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Doom Patrol?!?!?

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:15 am

The main site has the story here.

Variety has this to say about it:

Warner Bros. Pictures is giving new life to DC Comics cult favorite "Doom Patrol," about a band of superheroes with freakish powers, with Akiva Goldsman producing the bigscreen adaptation through his Warners-based Weed Road Pictures.
Studio has hired Adam Turner to pen the screenplay.

News is sure to set off buzz at Comic-Con. Debuting in 1963, "Doom Patrol" was often compared to Marvel's "X-Men." Both comics follow the exploits of a band of super-powered social misfits ostracized by the rest of the world.

As with X-Men, the Doom Patrol is guided by a wheelchair-boundmentor in fighting evil. Characters include Elasti-Girl, Negative Man and Robotman.

Series, created by Bob Haney, Arnold Drake and Bruno Premiani, ceased in 1968 after failing to woo a big aud. DC revived the series several times over the years, however, with more recent incarnations turning "Doom Patrol" into a much darker, edgier comic than "X-Men."

Producers of the film version are Goldsman and Weed Road's Kerry Foster. Weed Road's Matt Smith brought in the project.

"These are some of the most original, offbeat comicbook characters we have ever come across, and Adam Turner's unique sensibility makes him a perfect fit for the material," Goldsman told Daily Variety.

Turner sold an untitled teen horror pitch to Lionsgate last year. Project is being produced by Lawrence Bender.

It looks like The Doom Patrol will be headed to the big-screen. Sounds good to me!

What do you folks think?!?!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mister six on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:41 am

It could be a great alternative superhero movie - but then it could be a load of toss more along the lines of FF.
If they make it a little bizarre, maybe mix in some Grant Morrison era DP, then I could see myself liking it a lot.

Who do you guys see in the main roles?
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Shane on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:56 pm

Yeah it could be cool, but I still get the feeling that almost everything DC does with movies now is too little too late.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby mister six on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:05 pm

What about Batman Returns? It may have been late, but not too little - the best thing they've done so far imo. The sequel should be as good, and then of course there's the new Swamp Thing to look forward to. I think they may have turned a corner... :D

Maybe now we can hope to see a Sandman movie WITHOUT the suggestion of him beating up bad guys... :roll:

Anyone with casting ideas?? Its too hot for my brain to function properly right now...
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:56 pm

I really think they need to play it weird. The original team plus Chief is too mundane by today's standards. Cut Rita and toss in Crazy Jane, then give us some serious Cliff angst.

Cast? Larry's covered with bandages, so you need someone who has strong voice and body language. Cliff will be CGI assist at least, because I can't imagine him being played in the early physical version. Same requirements. For Crazy Jane I say Helena Bonham Carter.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: Doom Patrol?!?!?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie News