Pet Sematary remake

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Should this movie be remade?

hell yes, I love me some CGI cat
15%
hell no!
54%
kong
31%

Total votes : 13

Pet Sematary remake

Postby tfactor on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:39 pm

So george clooney is staring in this completely unneeded remake, or so I read recently on chud and I just want to say

fuck you hollywood!

I've been quoting Fred Gwynne's lines from that movie for a long long time, and the decision to remake this movie really pisses me off, because really wtf improvements can be made? You're never going to get something more creapy or disturbing that the scene with that woman's sister crying for her help in the original.

"Sometimes dead is better" - a philosophy hollywood is overdue to recognize.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby zarandi on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:45 pm

i am so sick of remakes. assault on precinct 13, the original, was nearly perfect to me. Then we get a remake with more guns, more bullets, more deaths...and Hollywood still can't get the hang of pacing and character development.

shame.
zarandi
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:52 pm

This will only work if they combine it with the Seven Samurai remake and have Clooney and Chinese-playing-Japanese faux-swordsmen slicing through demon kitties.

That would rule.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Ahh man...who still has the photo of the kitten flying dead straight at camera? That used to crack me up..

...as for the remake....I don't know. I didn't think the film was perfect by any stretch...bit of a mixed bag.

Can I imagine Gwynne's character being done better? Nope.

Crosby's? Hell yeah.

Cue backlash from fanboy central, still with their Lieutenant "Oooh YAh, right there" fetishes...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:57 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:This will only work if they combine it with the Seven Samurai remake and have Clooney and Chinese-playing-Japanese faux-swordsmen slicing through demon kitties.

That would rule.

That would more than rule. It would rule hard.

Could they combine it with Ocean's 13? Holy shit, that would be awesome.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:54 pm

count me DEAD SET (huh? what pun?) against this remake.

unless, of course, they can get Raven Symone to star in it. that would be so, uh... raven.

seriously, i think pet sematary is one of the better stephen king movies. it's no shining or carrie, but it's effective. there's definitely room for improvement (crosby sucked but she's pretty, but that little girl who played the daughter... UGH! the only acting worse that i could imagine worse would be if she was played by Raven Symone...)

i can't really understand why they'd even want to remake this. there are better king films to remake (like a big-budget, non-tv-movie version of the stand, perhaps). i think it would be cool to see a QUALITY stephen king movie again, and clooney's involvement would at least attract the right money and people to get that, i just would rather see it devoted to something more worthy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Seems like in Hola'wood, the ground's gone sour. A'yuh.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 pm

"Paxcow says Clooney is gonna do something REALLY BAD!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:08 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:This will only work if they combine it with the Seven Samurai remake and have Clooney and Chinese-playing-Japanese faux-swordsmen slicing through demon kitties.

That would rule.

That would more than rule. It would rule hard.

Could they combine it with Ocean's 13? Holy shit, that would be awesome.

YES!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:10 pm

They should combine it with KONG!

At least then some good may come of it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dislexsickNik on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:30 pm

another poxy remake whY?

normally as soon as i hear the word remake i shut off nowadays but i still end up watching them for some strange reason.

A few months ago someone mumbled somthing about a red sonja remake that aint true is it?
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:40 pm

I'm still waiting for my Casablanca remake. It can't be that far off, I know it can't. Please...God....if you're listening. Give me a Casablanca remake starring Lindsey Lohan and Ashton Kutcher....and...and Mike Epps can play Sam! Yeah! Please, God. Don't make me wait any longer.....
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:42 pm

Undead Kong?

What would Ann do?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:45 pm

personally i'm hoping for a You Me and Dupree remake.

if they hurry, maybe they can get it out while the original is still in the theaters.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:48 pm

Odd considering this is perhaps the closest feature film adaptation to one of King's books.
I am not against the idea of remakes. I just don't see a point with this one unless it is going to be a TV remake like The Shining and Salems Lot that were much closer to the books than their previous versions.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:50 pm

dislexsickNik wrote:another poxy remake whY?

normally as soon as i hear the word remake i shut off nowadays but i still end up watching them for some strange reason.

A few months ago someone mumbled somthing about a red sonja remake that aint true is it?

No, but close; they are remaking Bridgette Nielson, her current programming and rotor couplings are starting to fail.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:56 pm

I could handle a well made remake of Salem's Lot
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:57 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Odd considering this is perhaps the closest feature film adaptation to one of King's books.
I am not against the idea of remakes. I just don't see a point with this one unless it is going to be a TV remake like The Shining and Salems Lot that were much closer to the books than their previous versions.

oh man, don't even get me started on those made-for-tv remakes. the shining remake may have been closer to the book, but it can't even come near kubrick's film. and the original salem's lot is my favourite king film. the remake didn't offend me but it was kinda pointless.

and please, mr. clooney, if you do do this, PLEASE keep that hack Mick Garris as far from it as possible.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:00 pm

TheBaxter wrote:oh man, don't even get me started on those made-for-tv remakes. the shining remake may have been closer to the book, but it can't even come near kubrick's film. and the original salem's lot is my favourite king film. the remake didn't offend me but it was kinda pointless.

I'll give you Kubrik, though I hate the changes he made to the story as much as King, his cinematography is always outstanding......but the original Salems Lot is an awful, awful movie.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dislexsickNik on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:03 pm

unikrunk wrote:No, but close; they are remaking Bridgette Nielson, her current programming and rotor couplings are starting to fail.

Yeah she def in need of an MOT im pretty sure ive seen bridgette spares onsale on ebay
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:03 pm

If you are going to do some new King, please go the fuck ahead and bring on The Gunslinger, or at the very least, The Talisman.

/I heard the Steve Spielberg was attached to Talisman at one point...any fact in that?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:08 pm

unikrunk wrote:If you are going to do some new King, please go the fuck ahead and bring on The Gunslinger

Only if they plan on doing the entire Dark Tower like some big LOTR type production....ie filming everything in one long schedule instead of just The Gunslinger.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:oh man, don't even get me started on those made-for-tv remakes. the shining remake may have been closer to the book, but it can't even come near kubrick's film. and the original salem's lot is my favourite king film. the remake didn't offend me but it was kinda pointless.

I'll give you Kubrik, though I hate the changes he made to the story as much as King, his cinematography is always outstanding......but the original Salems Lot is an awful, awful movie.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know it's cheesy and dated, but i love that movie. it's got some of the creepiest vampires of any movie i've seen. those floating vampire kids at the window creep me out every time. the beginning is slow, but once it get's moving in the second half it never lets up. and barlow is a badass.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:10 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
unikrunk wrote:If you are going to do some new King, please go the fuck ahead and bring on The Gunslinger

Only if they plan on doing the entire Dark Tower like some big LOTR type production....ie filming everything in one long schedule instead of just The Gunslinger.

I think animated would be great, are you listening HBO?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:14 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

wait a secod guys, we have to wait until they invent a time machine to transport Clint Eastwood back to his younger self (so he can play the gunslinger role) before this movie can go into production.

Ron livingston would make a great Eddie but that just ain't enough to move forward with right now, I'm sorry.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:15 pm

unikrunk wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

Christ. Hey HBO if you are listening get Genndy Tartakovsky.....

Imagine the Dark Tower told ala Samurai Jack...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:18 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

Oh yes. Or the peeps that do Samurai Champloo...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dislexsickNik on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:36 pm

how about a maximum overdrive remake
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby dislexsickNik on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:36 pm

on 2nd thoughts how about No
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:44 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

If you're going to bring on the Gunslinger, get Nick Cave to do it.

I'm halfway through The Proposition and the voice in my head is repeating "The Gunslinger The Gunslinger The Gunslinger The Gunslinger The Gunslinger The Gunslinger The Gunslinger The Gunslinger The Gunslinger..."

It's a match made in fucking heaven.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:50 pm

dislexsickNik wrote:how about a maximum overdrive remake

Already been done as Trucks ala the name of the short story Maximum Overdrive was based one....It sucked.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:45 pm

I see pet cemetary as a relitively newer film, why make it now?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:59 am

The original had certanly room for improvement. It's been a while since I last saw it but I remember beeing disappointed by the way the story of the soldier who was brought back by his father was handled.

Just this morning I read a review of the latest production of the "Ring der NIebelungen" and I realized that plays, and operas for that matter, get remade constantly and numerous times. There's really no need to complain about a movie getting a second or third version as long as there ain't a dozen different versions worldwide each year.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:19 am

errrr I'm possibly thinking of the wrong film. If I am then you may punish my geek ass for being so wrong! But are we talking about the Pet Semetary which stared Jimmy Smits (if memory serves me) and that bird from Star Trek: TNG?

Cos that film I thought was a classic example of King done shit! I mean it had fuck all to it with regards to scares! I remember thinking at least they had the balls to kill the kid!

So do I care about a fucking remake? NO FUCKING WAY! GO FOR IT! THey couldn't make one worse but they could make one better! Go for it I say! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 am

Ginger Man: Casablanca has been remade several times! Sorry.... :-( :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 am

Keep the Ramones song, change the spelling to Brit-style (cemetary...semetary never looked right to me), and then you'll have a film I'll watch.

Thank you.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Chilli on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:27 am

One of my goals is to do an adaptation of Carrie and try and undo the crap DePalma did.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 am

Chilli wrote:One of my goals is to do an adaptation of Carrie and try and undo the crap DePalma did.

There was a TV version much closer to the book in terms of telling everything in flashback via police interrogations etc but the ending blew...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:34 am

I voted no on the remake....

EDIT:"Sometimes dead is better"
If you know what I mean...;)
I should have read your post first...lol

And George Clooney??? That guy just irks me...
Boooo!!!

I really loved the book & thought the movie adaptation was good..(Paxcow could use some improvements)
Why does Stephen King have to remake all of his movies...???

The remake of The Shining was shit!!!

DONT DO IT!!!!
Last edited by athenabodicea on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:41 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Keep the Ramones song, change the spelling to Brit-style (cemetary...semetary never looked right to me), and then you'll have a film I'll watch.

Thank you.

It was meant to be mis-spelled with an S. The story goes that Stephen King, when he wrote the book, found a creepy ass pet cemetary in the woods near his house. And the sign was mispelled "semetary." He also had his office across the street. Huge 18-wheelers would barrel down the street all the time. One day, toddler son wanted to run across the street to see daddy and was almost hit by a truck.

Hence....Pet Semetary.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:04 am

Well Clooney is cool. Syriana? From Dusk Till Dawn? Oceans? Out of Sight? How do you not find this dude a classic Hollywood leading actor?

As for Pet Semetry: fuck it! Do one! The first was straight to video at best! Sadly I don't htink it was! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:29 am

silentbobafett wrote:Well Clooney is cool. Syriana? From Dusk Till Dawn? Oceans? Out of Sight? How do you not find this dude a classic Hollywood leading actor?

As for Pet Semetry: fuck it! Do one! The first was straight to video at best! Sadly I don't htink it was! :-)

He just annoys me....
I dont know why.... (But I did like him in Three Kings)
I never understood why Clooney got all the press and why everyone thinks he is so hot either...

Dont you have one of those actors who just rubs you the wrong way??
I have a few....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:30 am

Yeah duh. Sematary was supposed to be a sign written by small children thus the spelling error.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:34 am

athenabodicea wrote:Why does Stephen King have to remake all of his movies...???

It's not like he is going out of his way to do so aside from the Shining remake. He OKs the productions but I doubt he is actively seeking out people to remake his movies.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:45 am

athenabodicea wrote:[quote="silentbobafett" ]Well Clooney is cool. Syriana? From Dusk Till Dawn? Oceans? Out of Sight? How do you not find this dude a classic Hollywood leading actor?

He just annoys me....
I dont know why.... (But I did like him in Three Kings)
I never understood why Clooney got all the press and why everyone thinks he is so hot either...

Dont you have one of those actors who just rubs you the wrong way??
I have a few....[/quote]

he's a little too smug for me, Athena. and i have quite a list of actors/actresses i just don't like. Jennifer Aniston, for instance. i can't stand her. why she keeps getting roles is beyond me.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Shane on Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:56 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Keep the Ramones song, change the spelling to Brit-style (cemetary...semetary never looked right to me), and then you'll have a film I'll watch.

Thank you.

I can agree on that.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Peven wrote: he's a little too smug for me, Athena. and i have quite a list of actors/actresses i just don't like. Jennifer Aniston, for instance. i can't stand her. why she keeps getting roles is beyond me.

Smug is the perfect word for Clooney...

Jennifer Aniston has absolutely no range but has been well suited for the roles she has played...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Petri on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:28 pm

athenabodicea wrote:
Peven wrote: he's a little too smug for me, Athena. and i have quite a list of actors/actresses i just don't like. Jennifer Aniston, for instance. i can't stand her. why she keeps getting roles is beyond me.

Jennifer Aniston has absolutely no range but has been well suited for the roles she has played...

I also don't see how anyone finds Jennifer Aniston attractive. Yuck yuck yuck
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:42 pm

Petri wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:

I also don't see how anyone finds Jennifer Aniston attractive. Yuck yuck yuck

I think she's cute... :shock:
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:50 am

I rewatched the original yesterday, wasn't as good as I remembered it.

As for a remake, bring it on!
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Next

Return to Movie News