The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm trying to understand the outrage. I think a lot of it has to do with context -- Simone was an outspoken civil rights activist at a time when that was dangerous, and to cast someone who's mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican can seem like a slap in the face, certainly to her family, at least. I don't think they deliberately cast someone who looks "less black", it's just the same bullshit that causes producers to cast a bunch of British dudes as Egyptians: they want bankable stars.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:15 pm

I think the criticism is directed more at the decision to make her up to look "more black" which is bad enough, but on top of that did it badly and the results look terrible. That nose looks ready to peel off.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:There are notoriously few roles in Hollywood for darker skinned actresses, especially those with more traditionally "African" features. I'm sure it was difficult to find someone to play this role back in 2012 when the film was made and Zoe Saldana was apparently the only black actress working in Hollywood. At least one of the few that had been seen in big movies and was palatable for white audiences. It's not that she isn't "black" enough, but that she's the "right kind" of black. "Hollywood" black. So it's kind of a massive fuck-you to darker-skinned actresses who have enough trouble finding work when filmmakers decide to cast the "safe" black actor, throw a coat of paint on them and call it good. Especially when so much of Nina Simone is tied to her being a dark-skinned woman with African features making music during the Civil Rights era. And it's even more of a fuck-you to the people who look up to her and her music.

Here are a couple articles about it from people who aren't me.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2750211/nina-si ... ery-black/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ood-colour

yeah, no wonder we can't get black people nominated for oscars. they're too busy fighting each other over who's "black enough" for the few roles that are open to any black people at all. is this what they mean by "black-on-(less-)black violence"?

sorry but this all seems as silly to me as someone complaining that a blonde dyed their hair to play a redhead, or a blue-eyed person used contacts to play a brown-eyed person. it's one thing when you've got white people taking roles away from people of other races, but black people discriminating against other black people for having skin that's too light or too dark, well it's just sad. blacks in the movie industry have more serious discrimination issues to deal with, than to get distracted fighting amongst themselves over petty shit like this. from what i've read, it sounds more like nina simone's relatives are more pissed over this than anyone else though, so i don't know how deep this really goes. but i'm just some lily-white guy, what do i know?

As a fishbelly-white man myself I understand where you're coming from. And I'm not saying you should be outraged over this or that you should even care. I personally am against biopics in principle since as a rule they tend to suck royally. And I don't see this as a black against black thing so much as it is taking issue with poor decisions made by the creative team.

I wouldn't say this situation is an outrage. As my wife would say, it's more like "some bullshit." Being married to a black woman (and now having a child together) we talk about this kind of stuff a lot. I find it fascinating personally and I enjoy discussing these kinds of issues.

What I'm saying is I wouldn't mind further discussion of this with you and all things Charlize Theron, but I'm currently at work and this shit takes too long on a phone.

Also, I think it's time to #MakeJennekeYourSigAgain because I need that in my life.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:58 pm

see, as a white guy so whte I'm bordering on translucent I figure I have no business taking any stance aside from being sympathetic to those who are genuinely offended and upset over this. I wouldn't even consider telling someone who is Black that they shouldn't be angry over this if they are. who am to judge them for being upset, what business do i have telling them how to feel or act at all in regard to something like this? and comparing this to Theron using prosthetics just shows a complete lack of understanding or appreciation of the issue.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:09 pm

The role should've gone to an actual ugly woman, goddammit!
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:22 am

Peven wrote:see, as a white guy so whte I'm bordering on translucent I figure I have no business taking any stance aside from being sympathetic to those who are genuinely offended and upset over this. I wouldn't even consider telling someone who is Black that they shouldn't be angry over this if they are. who am to judge them for being upset, what business do i have telling them how to feel or act at all in regard to something like this? and comparing this to Theron using prosthetics just shows a complete lack of understanding or appreciation of the issue.

yep, and as a white guy you and i have no business taking a stance on issues like abortion, equal pay for women, black lives matter, or pretty much any issue that doesn't center around white guys. let's just enjoy our white male privilege and leave it to everyone else to figure out, right?
sorry, i've seen too much fox news to say something like "who am i to judge them for being upset, what business do i have telling them how to feel or act at all in regard to something like this?" people today have turned being offended over things into a cottage industry, and while i think the sarah palins of the world have been at the forefront of the "fake outrage" movement, there are also people on the "left" who do it too (though in this case, i'm not sure which side of this issue, if either, would be "right" or "left"). sure people have the right to be offended or upset over whatever they want, just like everyone else has a right to decide whether they think it's a legitimate grievance or some silly bullshit. but when you get outraged over petty shit, it takes away from the legitimate issues that actually impact people.
so yeah, i'm not going to tell anyone how to feel about this. but i'm not afraid of having and expressing my own opinions either, just because i don't belong to whichever group is considered "OK" to have an opinion about it. i'm sure the 10 or so people who read this board isn't going to have much impact on the discussion anyway. as for understanding the issue, i understand it just fine. i guess i just never felt the answer to discrimination was more discrimination.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeeeeehaaaaaa!

Ben DURRRR.

BWAAAM HUR.

etc etc.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:25 pm

I haven't seen the original Ben Hur since I was a child. I have no recollection of it whatsoever.
That being said, I'm stoked to see Jack Huston in a leading role. He was so good on Boardwalk Empire, and he didn't even use his real speaking voice (or most of his face! :lol: ). I've been a fan of the director's visual style since his Nightwatch/Daywatch films. For Huston and Bemekt.... Bekemet......Benemktov........ fuck. Fur Huston and the Russian director's sake, I hope it's a good film.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Timur Bekmambetov directed this? Okay, I guess I have to actually watch the trailer now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:14 am

I think the galley bits looked way more impressive than the racing. That can't be a good thing, can it?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:48 am

Fievel wrote:I haven't seen the original Ben Hur since I was a child. I have no recollection of it whatsoever.
That being said, I'm stoked to see Jack Huston in a leading role. He was so good on Boardwalk Empire, and he didn't even use his real speaking voice (or most of his face! :lol: ). I've been a fan of the director's visual style since his Nightwatch/Daywatch films. For Huston and Bemekt.... Bekemet......Benemktov........ fuck. Fur Huston and the Russian director's sake, I hope it's a good film.

I've never seen the original, and have zero allegiance to it as a culturally iconic movie blah blah blah, so I'm not opposed to a remake at all.
That said, this trailer seems like a 300 meets Gladiator mash up. And could Morgan Freeman look any more out of place?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Seriously...W.T.F?????
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Jason Bourne gotta eat.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:37 pm

it's got a real 'gone girl' vibe to it. guess i better get around to reading this book already so i can spoil the movie for myself.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:24 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

it's got a real 'gone girl' vibe to it. guess i better get around to reading this book already so i can spoil the movie for myself.

Some comments in the TB for this trailer discussed the book...sounds like they really sexed it up for the movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:41 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Some comments in the TB for this trailer discussed the book...sounds like they really sexed it up for the movie.

i guess that would explain why they chose this song to play over the opening credits:

btw, if you try watching that trailer with that song playing in the background, it gives the film a whole different feel.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:25 pm

I read the book and the sex scenes are not NOT in there, although it certainly looks like they're playing them up here. I have a feeling this is mostly false advertising, but you never know.

EDIT: Then again I *could* just be distracted by Baxter's music video...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:02 am

TheBaxter wrote:

it's got a real 'gone girl' vibe to it.

After the novel came out, there was an influx of books just like Gone Girl. He chapters/she chapters. Very unoriginal.

The book was OK. I guessed it way too early. Movie will likely be something I'll catch once it goes digital.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Sun May 01, 2016 6:47 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun May 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

it's got a real 'gone girl' vibe to it.

After the novel came out, there was an influx of books just like Gone Girl. He chapters/she chapters. Very unoriginal.

The book was OK. I guessed it way too early. Movie will likely be something I'll catch once it goes digital.

I liked the book better than I thought I would. Having had a few blackout moments in college, I could get behind the narrative choice of the un-reliable, alcoholic main character who got shit-faced every night.

I feel (and I'm making assumptions here) that the movie will ruin it by visually showing her running around drunk via a blurry camera (since some movie goers need everything spelled out for them), rather than the total lack of time in the novel...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2016 3:16 am

The Stoner Arms Dealers: How Two American Kids Became Big-Time Weapons Traders
And how the Pentagon later turned on them
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 27, 2016 8:44 pm

You saw this when you went to see The Nice Guys, didn't you? :wink:

I can't decide whether the movie looks good or not. I'm definitely interested in the story.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 28, 2016 2:36 am

Ribbons wrote:You saw this when you went to see The Nice Guys, didn't you? :wink:

I can't decide whether the movie looks good or not. I'm definitely interested in the story.

Yeah :)

AICN:
Quint takes a look back at some of the best teaser trailers of all time!!

Quint Strikes Back With The Revenge Of The Teaser Trailer!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:36 pm

New WAR DOGS Trailer Suggests Funding The American Dream With Machine Guns
In which Miles Teller and Jonah Hill become wacky arms dealers for the director of THE HANGOVER.
War Dogs - Official Trailer 2

Lord of War

Merchant of Death
Viktor Bout: arms dealer, 'Lord of War' - and home movie buff
He sold weapons to African warlords, double-crossed dictators and fuelled a civil war. But a new film shows another side to arms dealer extraordinaire, Viktor Bout.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Planet of the Apes (1968) Presented by TCM
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Hurt Business

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 am

The Hurt Business
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:19 pm

I am not a teenage girl, but this looks delightful:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 am

I want Woody to get Award consideration for this just from the trailer alone.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:28 pm

that does look pretty good

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:40 pm

i had to look at the date to see if this was a new trailer or the one that came out a few months ago. it's new. i guess maybe it's slightly longer than the last one, but otherwise seems nearly identical to it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Point Break 2: xXx³

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:16 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:04 pm

is Tom Hiddleston the new Adrien Brody or what?

aside from that this looks like it could be fun popcorn faire

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:15 pm

that Guy Ritchie, he makes fun movies, even if they are a little over the top at times, lol

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:57 am

King Arthur looks nuts

Count me in
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:10 am

‘Command And Control’ Trailer: Inside One Of The Cold War’s Tensest Moments – TCA

Official Theatrical Trailer - Command and Control
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Donald Trump's Great Wall

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Donald Trump's Great Wall

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:20 am

TheButcher wrote:

1700 years to build, 5500 miles long, what were they trying to keep out?

Mexicans. duh.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:56 pm

Mel Gibson's latest directorial effort, THE MAN WITH THE TITANIUM BALLS.

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:46 pm

‘Max Steel’ Trailer: Mattel’s Action Figure Line Gets Live Action Treatment
Ross A. Lincoln wrote:About his role in the infamously terrible Jaws 4: The Revenge, Michael Caine once said “I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific. In unrelated news, a new trailer for Max Steel launched earlier today, co-starring the great Andy Garcia in a supporting role for which it looks like he had a lot of fun.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GOLD

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:59 am

GOLD Movie TRAILER
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:56 pm

alright alright alright 8-)

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:42 pm

That looks awesome!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 am

Image+Image=
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am

wow... i know johnny depp likes to wear some extreme makeup sometimes, but he's completely unrecognizable in that trailer.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Looks awesome.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:14 pm

I think it looks bleak and foreboding

Peven