Upcoming Stephen King Projects

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Upcoming Stephen King Projects

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:46 pm

as an aside to the king remakes thread, here's a list of the upcoming Stephen King-based projects. which do you think will turn out the best?

1408 - aka Ghosts in a Muthafukkin Hotel Room. Directed by Mikael Hafstrom, starring John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson.

From A Buick 8 - George Romero set to direct.

Cell - Eli Roth set to direct.

Creepshow 3 - not much info, might not even have any King involvement.

Pet Sematary (remake) - George Clooney rumoured to be developing this.

The Talisman - starring... Alex P. Keaton?!? it's been on-again, off-again, who knows?

Black House - it's on iMDB so maybe it will happen.

best news of all: not a single mention of Mick Garris in any of these
:D
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tfactor on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Weird - we just named the new golfcart "Travelin Jack!" I gotta read that book, but hey I've got a couple years right? :?

I just picked up Cell at a tagsale this past weekend for like $.43 and I've heard it is great (up until the ending) but I'm used to king's ending sucking so.. but now I'm thinking maybe I'll read the talisman first.

btw Peter Straub should get as much credit for The Talisman as King, but I've always thought that this was why this book wouldn't be made a movie, too many thumbs in the profit pie. guess I was wrong ... again! :roll:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:39 pm

1408 was really creepy but I could not see it as a feature length movie...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:04 pm

These are some quotes from Bev Vincent who wrote "The Road To The Dark Tower" regarding The Talisman and Black House movies taken from thedarktower.net. These quotes were from earlier in the year.

Of the three you list, Black House is the most likely to be made. The Talisman is dead in the water at present, and I don't think Bag of Bones ever made it into the water in the first place. Black House is in active development, though it's still in the very early stages.

I really want to see Bag Of Bones. I think it would make a decent movie.

Different groups own the film rights to The Talisman and Black House, so I don't expect the movies to bear any relationship to each other at all, assuming one or both get made.

This part sucks hard. It's like after Peter Jackson shocked and awed us with The Fellowship of the Ring, having Brett Ratner make The Two Towers and McG make Return Of The King, and then turning around and having Mick Garris make The Hobbit.

The Talisman movie is not in production. It might never be in theaters at the rate it's going. 20 years of pre-production and no casting, no decent script...

Even if Talisman or Black House are filmed, I have a really bad feeling that they will suck.... hard. Which is a shame because both books are so good in their own way.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 pm

Gotta go with the movie with John Cusack in it, for exactly that reason.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm

i went with cell, because the source material is very good and it's actually got a decent director attached. from a buick 8 wasn't much of a book in my opinion. 1408 could be good, it's been a long time since i read that story though and the director isn't well known to me. but cusack and SLJ definitely give it promise (crossing back to the remake thread, if they ever do remake the shining again, they should cast SLJ in the scatman crothers role: "my grandmother and i could talk with our minds. she called it the muthafukkin shining")

creepshow 3 doesn't sound promising and the remake of pet sematary is unnecessary.

talisman and black house are still too much up-in-the-air to figure out how they'll turn out. i remember when it was sounding like they were gonna do talisman as an hbo miniseries, that would have been cool. instead, it'll probably end up as some lame tv-movie on the usa network.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:26 pm

Most likely horseshit..... but still enough to make a fan sigh.

Dark Tower Movie blog
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Creepshow 3 has no involvement from King, Romero or Tom Savini as according to Savini when I saw him at a convention in 2005.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:33 pm

Creepshow 3 is from the same group of "geniuses" that made the direct to video Day of the Dead sequel (Contagium) a couple of years ago.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:24 pm

What, no love for The Mist?
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:31 pm

While this is up, 1408 has 100% at RT right now. It has quite a few reviews and they all say the opposite of what I expected. The trailer just emitted 'bad movie' to me. I'm good at being wrong though.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:33 pm

The trailer makes it look predictable but I am still interested in seeing it.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dr William Weir on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:36 pm

We like a good Stephen King here on the Event Horizon, as he often provides inspiration for our more macabre parties. Personally I'm keen on seeing how 1408 turns out, although From A Buick 8 should hopefully end up a surreal masterpiece. When King writes it's as if from the kind of nightmarish dream you have when you're ill, sickly and lurid. I wouldn't mind seeing Insomnia splurged out in all its psychotropic glory either.

Now excuse me whilst I scrub my eyeholes, it's been a while and the puss is hardening!
Dr William Weir
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 am

Dr William Weir wrote:I'm keen on seeing how 1408 turns out, although From A Buick 8 should hopefully end up a surreal masterpiece.

The Dino, he likes a the good Stephen King adaption, no? Like a the "Maximum Overdrive" or a the "Silver Bullet", heheheh...

Personally, I like a the "1408" the first time I saw it back when a she was a the Room 217 inna The Shining, anna the "From a Buick 8" back when a she was a called a the "Christine," no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:24 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Personally, I like a the "1408" the first time I saw it back when a she was a the Room 217 inna The Shining,

Yeah...but this one has Sam Jackson as the naked rotting dead chick...

Oh, wait...SPOILERS!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:36 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Dr William Weir wrote:I'm keen on seeing how 1408 turns out, although From A Buick 8 should hopefully end up a surreal masterpiece.

The Dino, he likes a the good Stephen King adaption, no? Like a the "Maximum Overdrive" or a the "Silver Bullet", heheheh...

Personally, I like a the "1408" the first time I saw it back when a she was a the Room 217 inna The Shining, anna the "From a Buick 8" back when a she was a called a the "Christine," no?

Agreed, even King plagarisms himself... Buick 8/Christine... The Dark Half/Secret Window

For Christ sakes, he even wrote himself into the Dark Tower books :roll:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fawst on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:52 am

Vegeta wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Agreed, even King plagarisms himself... Buick 8/Christine... The Dark Half/Secret Window

For Christ sakes, he even wrote himself into the Dark Tower books :roll:

*sigh*

Spoilers. Blah.

Christine was a ghost story, not an "evil car" story. The movie fucked that one up, BIG time. Buick 8 is a surreal other-dimensional story. The Shining was a haunted hotel story. As much focus as was placed on that one room, the whole fucking place was haunted, to be sure. 1408 is about a single room.

Sure you can draw comparisons, but in the end, they're totally different stories. I mean, you could say you liked The Green Mile more when it was called Shawshank Redemption, because after all, they're both prison stories :roll:
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Fawst wrote:Christine was a ghost story, not an "evil car" story. The movie fucked that one up, BIG time. Buick 8 is a surreal other-dimensional story. The Shining was a haunted hotel story. As much focus as was placed on that one room, the whole fucking place was haunted, to be sure. 1408 is about a single room.

DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Fawst on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:17 pm

If only that image loaded for me here at work... :(
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Fawst wrote:*sigh*

Spoilers. Blah.

Christine was a ghost story, not an "evil car" story. The movie fucked that one up, BIG time. Buick 8 is a surreal other-dimensional story. The Shining was a haunted hotel story. As much focus as was placed on that one room, the whole fucking place was haunted, to be sure. 1408 is about a single room.

Sure you can draw comparisons, but in the end, they're totally different stories. I mean, you could say you liked The Green Mile more when it was called Shawshank Redemption, because after all, they're both prison stories :roll:

I agree one jillion percent. All very different stories.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby psychedelic on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:02 pm

I'm surprised only one other person mentioned this.

What about The Mist!!!!!?????

It's shooting right now with Frank Darabont at the helm. If there's a probable winner coming up, it's this one. The Mist is in my SK Top 5. I'll be sure to re-read it before seeing the movie. If you haven't read it, run to your copy of Skeleton Crew or Dark Forces right now.
"The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel."
psychedelic
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:00 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Fawst wrote:Christine was a ghost story, not an "evil car" story. The movie fucked that one up, BIG time. Buick 8 is a surreal other-dimensional story. The Shining was a haunted hotel story. As much focus as was placed on that one room, the whole fucking place was haunted, to be sure. 1408 is about a single room.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

IPAMPILASH! :lol:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fawst on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:04 pm

psychedelic, ask me how thrilled I am that I just found a copy of Skeleton Crew when I was unpacking some of my fiancee's stuff in our new apartment :D I've been dying to read this story, gonna start it tonight after work.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Is the Mist due out this year or 2008?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:59 pm

IMDB has The Mist coming out on November 21 of this year. I just re-read it recently myself as it had been a while. Now I really can't wait to see Darabondt's version. Should be awesome.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:54 pm

I'd have to go with 1408 due to the Cusack factor.

Many of King's movies have been utter messes, others really superb.

The Shining, Cujo, Christine and Misery are among my favourites.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Dr William Weir on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

There's nothing more enjoyable than watching the can/man interface at the beginning of Maximum Overdrive. One feels it is a bit of an underrated classic of 80's bad horror!

Ah, I see your point, but there's a substantial difference between the cars in Christine and Buick. The use of a demonic car might be similar, but the dreamlike juxtaposition of the lifelike every day element coupled with the surreal nature of the car in Buick 8 is rather grand. Besides, anyone who has read FAB8 knows that there's no possession involved...

... it's got a lot in common with myself, actually.
Dr William Weir
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:21 pm

And the Buick in FAB8 (love the acronym!) was left by a Low Man, which makes it a Dark Tower story. No comparison at all to Christine.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:54 am

Maui wrote:Many of King's movies have been utter messes, others really superb.

Yes, yes... exactly a the Dino's point, eh?

Maui wrote:The Shining, Cujo, Christine and Misery are among my favourites.

D'OH!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:10 am

Fievel wrote:Most likely horseshit..... but still enough to make a fan sigh.

Dark Tower Movie blog

Apparently Stephen King's assistant posted something that exposed the charade. Now there is nothing there. I knew it was fake, but it made me hope that there is something happening somewhere to get these films made.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 am

There is. Abrams and co. bought the option. It's better than nothing.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:36 am

Fawst wrote:There is. Abrams and co. bought the option. It's better than nothing.

Sort of. Spielberg has held the rights to The Talisman since 1984, and it's just now being made. If Dark Tower films will ever be made, I hope it's sooner than 2030.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:43 am

It's hopeless hope for me. The option to Wheel of Time has been sold many times by Jordan, and what has that gotten us? Nada.

I think the main difference here is that Dark Tower would make an incredible mini/maxi-series, and those guys have the chops to pull it off. They are passionate about the material, whereas Spielberg is passionate about many things, but easily distracted (I'm looking at YOU, Mr. Abraham Lincoln!).

Then again... Abrams has a scary habit of starting something without seeing it through to the end. He left Alias to work on Lost, and he has since left Lost to do the M:I3, and ... whatever new show he's working on.

I'm gonna talk myself out of hope in a minute...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:24 pm

So Insomniais getting the big screen production.

I'm really not sure how I feel about that. That's a pretty heavily Dark Tower-related story. Granted, the way it's laid out in the book - it doesn't mention anything without really explaining the basics of it (except for Patrick's picture of Roland - "hims a king, too!"). I'd really love to see them keep the DT stuff in there, but I have a baaaad feeling that they'll pull another Hearts In Atlantis and remove or change the Dark Tower material.
Other than that, I find it an odd book to make a movie out of.

Edit - Also, might the scene where the plane crashes into the Civic Center be a little "too soon" for 9/11? I have no opinion either way, but some people other than Uwe Boll might think so.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:38 pm

Frank Darabont just can't stop adapting Stephen King projects!!

Actually, it's a story by Richard Bachman.....

I have the book, but haven't read this one.
Off I go to read "The Long Walk".
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:09 am

How Does This Hack Keep Getting Work!?!?!?!?

Masters of Horror creator, and seasoned director of Stephen King adaptations, Mick Garris (Riding the Bullet, The Stand) is about to embark on a big screen version of King's '98 novel Bag of Bones.

In speaking to Fangoria Radio recently, Garris tells magazine editor Tony Timpone that it appears pal Joe Dante will helm Thirst - a remake of the Aussie vamp flick we were the first to tell you about here. Garris originally set out to direct that picture. "Bones," however, has been on Garris' to-do pile for some time and will take priority.

King's novel tells of Mike Noonan, a novelist grieving over the death of his wife who settles into their summer home, becomes embroiled in some nasty drama with a nasty local millionaire and falls privy to a series of hauntings.

Garris is attached as producer on Tobe Hooper's From a Buick 8.

I really dig the book Bag Of Bones. The thought of Mick Garris having anything to do with this turns my stomach. Everything this guy has filmed looks like it was shot in 1981 as a Made For TV movie with next to nothing for a budget.
Crud.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:20 am

Aw, FUCK ME! I refuse to see it. I have had in my head, for YEARS, scenes completely realized for a film version, right down to music cues. Fucker.

Christ, that just sucks.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:45 am

I don't get the Garris hate. I mean the Stand wasn't amazing but it was damn near as good as it could be as a TV miniseries in '94. Riding the Bullet was actually really well done though an odd choice for an adaptation in the first place.

Fawst wrote:Christine was a ghost story, not an "evil car" story.

Since when? It was a "demonic" possession/obsession story.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:09 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I don't get the Garris hate. I mean the Stand wasn't amazing but it was damn near as good as it could be as a TV miniseries in '94. Riding the Bullet was actually really well done though an odd choice for an adaptation in the first place.

My best example for my hate is the man's work itself. Watch The Stand (1994) and then watch Desperation (2006). They look like they could have been filmed back-to-back. That's good if your name is Jackson and you're filming Tolkien. Not so good if you're Garris doing King.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Wed May 14, 2008 2:03 am

Bag Of Bones to film in Michigan

If I wouldn't be so tempted to fling poop at Garris and yell "You Suck!!!", I might be tempted to drive up there.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 am

Shit, depending on who's in it I might drive down there to check it out. Any poop-flinging may or may not get blamed on Fievel.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

Postby Fievel on Tue May 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Exclusive: Mick Garris Talks Adapting Stephen King's Bag of Bones for Television

"Bag of Bones is something we tried to do as a feature for two or three years," Garris tells us, "but the way features are now, if it's not about teenagers or a sequel or a remake, forget it. We wanted to do something much more adult and passionate than studios are making now. It's a ghost story for grown-ups. Television is the only place you can do that."

No you fucking pathetic Hack-of-all-Hacks. Television is the only place you can produce such epic pieces of shit as you have and somehow get away with it.
1408? No teenagers, sequels, or remakes.
The Mist? No teenagers (other than the one that was killed early), sequels, or remakes.
Misery? No teenagers, sequels, or remakes.
The Shawshank Redemption? No teenagers, sequels, or remakes.
The Green Mile? No teenagers, sequels, or remakes.

Every single Stephen King property he has had a hand in is horrible. They just LOOK horrible. Then you get to the script and subsequent performances - also horrible.
The likely reality is that no studio will back his destined-to-suck projects.
Fuck I wish Garris would just retire and become a Wal-Mart greeter. But he's likely find a way to botch that as well.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Tue May 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Didn't he work on The Stand?

I thought that was pretty good (besides the terrible effects at the end).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TonyWilson on Tue May 04, 2010 1:18 pm

When did you last see it, SS? I loved it at the time but it's rrrreally not aged well at all, imo.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Al Shut on Tue May 04, 2010 1:19 pm

so sorry wrote:Didn't he work on The Stand?

I thought that was pretty good (besides the terrible effects at the end).

I was about to say something similar

but apart from The Stand Fievel is pretty much right

edit_ it's been a long while since I lat saw it
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 04, 2010 1:28 pm

gotta go with Fievel on this one, The Stand has really aged poorly. I re-watched it a year or so ago. And it's not just the effects.

EDIT: Or, alternatively, go with Tony as he was the one who actually said that... :oops:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Tue May 04, 2010 1:36 pm

TonyWilson wrote:When did you last see it, SS? I loved it at the time but it's rrrreally not aged well at all, imo.

Oh hell I don't know... 5-6 years ago? Maybe longer? It definetly had a made for TV vibe (acting, effects and what not).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Tue May 04, 2010 1:41 pm

It starts with 'don't fear the reaper', how bad can it be?

the thing I remember the most are the opening credits, how good can it be?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 04, 2010 1:43 pm

the mention of Mick Garris' name is scarier than anything stephen king has ever written
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue May 04, 2010 2:15 pm

For some reason I envision Garris living in a cardboard box in some hidden corner of King's property and every so often tipping over the garbage cans looking for new pages to turn into terrible movies.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie News