Page 3 of 3

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:20 pm
by TheBaxter
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i guess technically this is a stephen king "project":

Bruce Willis to make Broadway debut in production of Stephen King's Misery


My God this just reminded me of his "singing career" back in the early 90s.... yikes.


i don't think it's a musical. luckily.

maybe he can do a harmonica solo in there somewhere though.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:22 pm
by Fievel
Cybil Sheppard for Annie!! :lol:

Oh wait...this is for real. :oops:

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:04 pm
by Ribbons

Re: The NeverEnding Stand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:11 pm
by TheButcher
TheBaxter wrote:


see what you've done, Peter Jackson?!?!
SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!!????!!!!

Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Poised to Add TV Miniseries at Showtime (Exclusive)
In addition to movie, Warner Bros., CBS Films and writer-director Josh Boone are in talks to mount an 8-part TV series

Re: The NeverEnding Stand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 pm
by so sorry
TheButcher wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:


see what you've done, Peter Jackson?!?!
SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!!????!!!!

Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Poised to Add TV Miniseries at Showtime (Exclusive)
In addition to movie, Warner Bros., CBS Films and writer-director Josh Boone are in talks to mount an 8-part TV series



So an 8 part mini series leading up to one movie, and apparently I DON'T need to see the 8 hour miniseries to follow the movie? Not buying that one bit. This is pretty damn tricky to pull off.
That said, its one of my all time favorite books, so I'll be seeing whatever the hell they put out there anyway.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:17 pm
by TheBaxter
it's only mentioned in passing in this article but apparently Mr. Mercedes is being made into a TV movie, to be directed by Jack Bender.

this is on King book that can probably be done justice by a TV movie, and Jack Bender is a good director. i mean, he's no Mick Garris or anything, but he usually does a good job.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:33 pm
by TheBaxter
first teaser for 11.22.63 miniseries

and teaser is right, 30 seconds, a brief voiceover and some really quick clips. not much to go on.
probably the most disturbing part is this King quote: “Remarkable. Terrific. They did a great job.”
given how poor a judge he is of adaptations of his own work, that quote has me expecting something roughly equivalent in quality to a Mick Garris film.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:58 pm
by TheBaxter
stephen king jr's NOS4A2 to become an AMC series

what's that, over there? is it ... could it be.... YES! it's mick garris, hiding in the shadows, wringing his hands and salivating with the hope of one day ruining another generation of Kings' works on the TV medium. fear him, joe. FEAR HIM.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:43 pm
by Fievel
TheBaxter wrote:stephen king jr's NOS4A2 to become an AMC series

what's that, over there? is it ... could it be.... YES! it's mick garris, hiding in the shadows, wringing his hands and salivating with the hope of one day ruining another generation of Kings' works on the TV medium. fear him, joe. FEAR HIM.


STOP IT!!!!
MG is like Candyman or Beetlejuice. You say his name three times in a row and he gets work!!

And fuck....Hill needs to play his dad in The Dark Tower.

Re: Stephen King's ‘Stand by Me’

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:15 am
by TheButcher
‘Stand by Me’ Oral History: Rob Reiner and Cast on River Phoenix and How Coming-of-Age Classic Almost Didn’t Happen
Brent Lang wrote:It’s been three decades since “Stand By Me” became the little drama that could, catapulting River Phoenix to stardom, establishing Rob Reiner as a director on the rise, and racking up big ticket sales on a paltry budget.

The story of four friends from small town in Oregon, hiking into the countryside in search of the body of a boy who has been hit and killed by a train, is an unlikely coming-of-age tale. Yet in Reiner’s sensitive hands, it becomes a meditation on mortality — one that transcends its 1950s setting to have a universal appeal.

“Stand By Me” is unique in other ways. For one thing, it rivals “The 400 Blows” in its ability to evoke complex characterizations from young actors. Not only Phoenix as spiritual leader Chris Chambers, but co-stars Wil Wheaton as sensitive Gordie Lachance, Jerry O’Connell as wisecracking Vern Tessio, and Corey Feldman as hot-tempered Teddy Duchamp, provide finely wrought portraits of boys on the cusp of adulthood.


For Reiner, best known at the time for playing Michael “Meathead” Stivic in “All in the Family,” it was a chance to step out of the shadow of his father, legendary comedian Carl Reiner, and to position himself as a director of depth and nuance. It launched a career that would see him directing the likes of “Misery,” “When Harry Met Sally…,” and “The Princess Bride.”

But though it is now considered a classic, “Stand By Me” struggled to make it to screens. Financed outside the studio system after the cult success of “This is Spinal Tap,” after nearly every Hollywood player passed on the script, the film was nearly derailed after its funding collapsed right before filming. It then had to hustle to find distribution. To mark its 30th anniversary, Variety spoke to the cast and creative team behind the film.

After convincing a reluctant Stephen King to allow them to adapt his novella, “The Body,” for the screen, writers Bruce A. Evans and Raynold Gideon brought the project to AVCO Embassy Pictures, a production and distribution company owned by Norman Lear. For King, who based the story on his own childhood, it was a leap of faith. The horror writer had bad experiences with Hollywood and was unhappy with adaptations of his books “The Shining” and “Christine.”

Re: Stephen King Cinematic Renaissance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:38 pm
by TheButcher
/film:
Just when you thought they were done announcing new adaptations of Stephen King stories, a few more drop out of the sky.

Stephen King Novella ‘Hearts in Atlantis’ Set for Big Screen (EXCLUSIVE)

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:54 pm
by TheBaxter

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am
by TheButcher

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:18 am
by TheButcher
Deadline April 27, 2017 :
‘Firestarter’: Stephen King Classic Reignites With Universal, Blumhouse & Akiva Goldsman Directing

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:24 am
by TheBaxter
TheButcher wrote:Deadline April 27, 2017 :
‘Firestarter’: Stephen King Classic Reignites With Universal, Blumhouse & Akiva Goldsman Directing


hey, Akiva Goldsman, Mick Garris just called, he wants his old job* back.









* ruining Stephen King adaptations

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:54 pm
by Ribbons
Do any of the King fans here plan on watching the "Mr. Mercedes" TV show? I've read several reviews that say it's actually pretty decent.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:07 pm
by TheBaxter
i'd watch it, except i don't know what channel it's on. in fact i forgot about it entirely until that post. and it's not one of King's best books so i don't feel like i'm missing much.
i haven't been too impressed with the new Mist series either.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:13 pm
by Ribbons
It's on the AT&T Audience Network, which I believe is a DirecTV-exclusive thing. But you might be able to watch episodes through a streaming service or... other means.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:38 pm
by TheBaxter
screw that, i'm too lazy/cheap to spend that much effort/money in finding a tv show unless it's something truly great, which i doubt this is. there are already more good shows out there than i have time to watch as it is.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:47 am
by TheBaxter
i recently watched the miniseries version of 11/22/63. i thought it was really well done. fairly faithful to the book, which is one of King's better recent efforts, and most importantly, they kept the book's ending intact. King doesn't often have the most satisfying endings, but this book did, so it was wise not to change it.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 pm
by TheBaxter
new Pet Sematary trailer:



it looks pretty. but i don't know about those kids in the Wicker Man masks. it's a bit over-the-top. sure, kids in masks are creepy, but it doesn't make sense. i halfway expected to see nic cage run on-screen and punch one of them in the face.

and as much as i admire jon lithgow, from what i've seen in the trailer, he's not going to make me forget fred gwynne's brilliant performance. i'm sure the kid acting will be better (because it couldn't not be) but i'm also worried there's gonna be a lot of over-the-top effects scenes that don't really fit the story and are just there to look freaky. that worked with IT because you're dealing with a multi-dimensional monster who screws with kids' minds, and that book already had plenty of fantastical scenes... but Pet Sematary is more grounded, and the story doesn't want or need over-the-top bizarre sights. the horror comes from the plot of the story, and the underlying ideas and concepts behind it.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:07 pm
by so sorry
TheBaxter wrote:new Pet Sematary trailer:



it looks pretty. but i don't know about those kids in the Wicker Man masks. it's a bit over-the-top. sure, kids in masks are creepy, but it doesn't make sense. i halfway expected to see nic cage run on-screen and punch one of them in the face.

and as much as i admire jon lithgow, from what i've seen in the trailer, he's not going to make me forget fred gwynne's brilliant performance. i'm sure the kid acting will be better (because it couldn't not be) but i'm also worried there's gonna be a lot of over-the-top effects scenes that don't really fit the story and are just there to look freaky. that worked with IT because you're dealing with a multi-dimensional monster who screws with kids' minds, and that book already had plenty of fantastical scenes... but Pet Sematary is more grounded, and the story doesn't want or need over-the-top bizarre sights. the horror comes from the plot of the story, and the underlying ideas and concepts behind it.



Its definitely creepy enough, but I think I agree with everything you said. This one won't be seen by me though, I don't do dead-kid movies.

Re: Upcoming Stephen King Projects

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:02 pm
by TheBaxter
Stephen King's Joyland getting TV adaptation

this is one of my favorite recent King books, so i'm looking forward to it