THE POWER OF NIGHTMARES

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

THE POWER OF NIGHTMARES

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:14 am

Excellent documantary tracing the development of Isalmic terrorism and how the UK and US seem to have exaggerated the threat to gain more political power.
It's now on for a US release in cinemas by Sony Pictures Classics.

Anyway just click here to find out all about it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:32 am

I can't be bothered to register, can you copy and paste it???

Also I thought this was going to be about those terrible night terrors you have been suffering from.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:34 am

Yeah, I was expecting Tony to have weird nightmares of Dino and Bluebottle and Banthafodder and all the rest. And we were doing weird things to him, that he surprisingly found himself liking. And then he awoke with this strange feeling between his legs.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:34 am

I thought it was going to talk about Bantha's nocturnal emission problem.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:38 am

I was going to post about those things you mentioned TG but I was waiting for someone to start a "wet dreams" thread.

P.s here's the article for lazy sods like JL.

Acclaimed BBC2 documentary series The Power of Nightmares is heading for a big screen release in the US.
Adam Curtis's award-winning documentary examined the history behind the September 11 terrorist attacks and argued that the al-Qaida threat had been exaggerated by Tony Blair and George Bush for political ends.

The three-part series has never been seen in the US after it was rejected by American broadcasters, but is being lined up for a cinema release by Sony Pictures Classics.

"They want to show it as a feature film in the US," said Curtis, who is still in negotiations with the American film giant. "It would require me to cut it down but I am prepared to do that.

"I would like to get it on television, because it is a more powerful and direct medium than cinema, but there is a real reluctance to show it. Americans don't know anything about the history of Islamism."

The Power of Nightmares, which aired on BBC2 last year, won Bafta, Royal Television Society and Broadcasting Press Guild awards for best documentary series. Curtis wrote, produced, directed and narrated the series, which was watched by 1.5 million viewers.

It was shown as a feature film at the Cannes film festival in May this year, and has been distributed worldwide - outside the US - by Pathé.

It would not be the first of Curtis's documentaries to transfer to the US. His 2002 BBC2 series The Century of the Self, about the death of ideology and the triumph of consumer democracy, opened to critical acclaim in New York.

Despite the big screen transfer, he shies away from comparison with Michael Moore. "Moore is a political agitprop film-maker. I am not - you'd be hard pushed to tell my politics from watching it," he told the Guardian earlier this year.

"It was an attempt at historical explanation for September 11. You see, up to this point nobody had done a proper history of the ideas and groups that have created our modern world. It's weird that nobody had done it before me."
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:38 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I thought it was going to talk about Bantha's nocturnal emission problem.

Is that a nightmare? Or just expected at this point.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:41 am

OhI missed that when it was on the TV Tony, I'll see if it's available on BT.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:45 am

It is available online, but the quality is shabby. There's no way in hell the film will do good business in the US but it would be nice if it get a mention here and there.
TonyWilson

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:25 pm

TonyWilson wrote:The three-part series has never been seen in the US after it was rejected by American broadcasters, but is being lined up for a cinema release by Sony Pictures Classics.

It was shown as a feature film at the Cannes film festival in May this year, and has been distributed worldwide - outside the US - by Pathé.

EVERYBODY SING!

"Dont wanna be an American Idiot...One Nation Controlled by the Media..."

American broadcasters rejected this, what a surprise. I love my country, but there have been some disturbing twists and turns over the last 4 years.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Having seen it on TV there are some questionable assertions made, but, even those have a wealth of evidence to back them up.
I'm really cynical about US media. Especially TV news.

I just want to let everyone know I'm not bashing the US, just certain people/organisations in it, and how they manipulate the word "patriotism" for nefarious means.
TonyWilson

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:43 pm

I can't even watch the news here anymore. Just a bunch of gaggling heads. It's so disgusting, when my partner has it on, I can't even be in the same room.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:08 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Having seen it on TV there are some questionable assertions made, but, even those have a wealth of evidence to back them up.
I'm really cynical about US media. Especially TV news.

I just want to let everyone know I'm not bashing the US, just certain people/organisations in it, and how they manipulate the word "patriotism" for nefarious means.

I don't think anyone here has/would think that. I was torn over F. 9/11. On one hand I was sympathetic to most of the things being said, on the other I couldn't stand Moore's lack of journalistic discipline.

But I'm interested. I hope they get this thing to air on PBS, I think that would be a good home for it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:16 pm

Adam Balm wrote:But I'm interested. I hope they get this thing to air on PBS, I think that would be a good home for it.

Assuming there is such a thing as PBS a few months from now. If our government cuts the funds (as they appear ready to do) we may have to kiss Elmo goodbye.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:20 pm

The government isn't going to cut funding now that they're getting a right winger into run things.

Either way, I guess PBS won't be a home for it, now that I think about it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:21 pm

What is this world coming to, when there's a possibility my children won't grow up with Elmo. It's madness I tell ya.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:13 pm

So I assume PBS is publicly funded? Or federally? Something like our BBC?

Adambalm, I too liked F*9/11 but I was pretty appalled by how lax Moore was with making it real journalism. Surely he knew it would come under the most intense scrutiny imaginable from Republicans. He shot himself and his cause in the foot by not being rigorous in his journalism.

This doc has proper journalistic integrity and makes a compellng case that's hard to argue with, especially the major points.
TonyWilson

Return to Movie News