Live Action He-Man Movie

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Do you want a live action He man movie?

Yes... yes please oh pretty please!
67%
Er, well... no we don't cos it'll suck full stop/period!
33%

Total votes : 30

Live Action He-Man Movie

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:59 am

Well... maybe not! :-)
The "He-Man" Live-Action Film Is Dead
Posted: Thursday November 30th 2006 2:10am
Source: Moviehole

The Masters have left this universe it seems as the proposed live-action, John Woo-produced film version of 80's cartoon classic "He-Man" has apparently been cancelled.

Executive Producer Rodney Ferrell ("Flicka") told Moviehole that "This was a project set up at Fox, but in the recent months we gave the project back to Mattel and are no longer involved".

This marks the latest blow in the film's long development process. Multiple delays and writers have come and gone, and whilst Mattel may still pursue it, this is a major setback.

At last report the hottest candidate for the latest incarnation of the sword-wielding blond Adonis? Uber-hunk Paul Walker.

---------------------

Well thank FUCK we'll see no Paul Walker as He-Man
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:14 am

I think if it was done at the moment, it'd be made in the current fashionable Lord of the Rings style. Which would be pointless.

John Woo was going to make a Turtles film as well but that got cancelled.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:32 am

I hope if it EVER got made, it's glorious, cheesy high-camp a la Flash Gordon. Not Dungeons and Dragons. All bright colours, green CGI tigers and pumped-up Gears Of War style characters.

Paul Walker wouldn't have been a bad choice, actually.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:37 am

He-Man and the Ride Pimped Masters of the Currys Car-Park Universe?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:43 am

He-Man; Eternia Drift
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:25 am

[quote] He-Man and the Ride Pimped Masters of the Currys Car-Park Universe?[/quote]

Starring Skeletor and his Ford Cortiiiiiina
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:27 am

How do I edit this thread?

I started it and the Poll has come out wrong. so I want to change it but there appears to be no EDIT button! Am I looking for the wrong thing in the wron gplace or have I been done over? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Live Action He-Man Movie

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:27 pm

He man is dead...............

Im sad................................ :(
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby cap on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:39 pm

Not that I want to see this, but...

What is it with movies that star Dolph Lundgren that must be done over again within 20 years.

He was the star of the original He-Man and the original Punisher.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:45 pm

He-Man is a Jesus allegory!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:32 pm

RogueScribner wrote:He-Man is a Jesus allegory!

Yes, and Wonder Woman is an allegory for Mary.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu May 24, 2007 11:33 am

Silver, WB eyeing rights to live-action 'Masters'

Hollywood Reporter wrote:Warner Bros. Pictures and Joel Silver are trying to get the power of Grayskull.

The studio and producer are in negotiations with toy company Mattel to acquire the rights to one of the most popular cartoons of the 1980s, "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe," with plans to bring a live-action version to the big screen.

Justin Marks has been brought on board to pen the adaptation, which will be called "Masters of the Universe," after the name of the Mattel toy line on which the Filmation-produced cartoon was based.

The parties are deep in the back and forth, with a deal potentially months away, according to sources.

The cartoon was known for the image of blond-haired Prince Adam on top of a mountain uttering the magic words, "By the power of Grayskull, I have the power," and turning into the heroic He-Man. He-Man and his allies -- Battle Cat, Man-at-Arms and Orko -- defended their planet Eternia from the evil forces of Skeletor, who tried week after week to conquer a fortress known as Castle Grayskull, which imbued He-Man with his powers.

The show spawned the spinoff series, "She-Ra: Princess of Power," which followed the adventures of He-Man's sister.

The new take on "Masters" skews more toward gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon magical world called Eternia. There, a being called Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating all traces of magic.

"Masters" made its way to the big screen in 1987 in a science fiction/fantasy film from Cannon Film, also titled "Masters of the Universe," which starred Dolph Lundgren as He-Man and Frank Langella as Skeletor and featured a young Courteney Cox. The property has since been mired in rights issues; at one point, a version called "He-Man" was set up at Fox 2000, with John Woo attached to direct.

Neil Ellice will co-produce "Masters."

Silver Pictures exec Navid McIlhargey brought the project in and will be involved in a producer capacity.

Marks, repped by WMA, wrote "Voltron: Defender of the Universe," based on the 1980s cartoon, as well as Warners' "Super Max," centering on DC Comics superhero Green Arrow.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu May 24, 2007 1:31 pm

Don't you just hate breaking movie news stories that are full of paragraphs about shit that you already know about the movie's history or subject then loads more boring pointless paragraphs about the studio business and what powers and suits and boring partnerships are involved in making it, but only one single farking paragraph about what the movie is gonna be about?

Fark! Shheeeeeeessshhh!!!!!! Just tell me if She-Ra's gonna be played by someone with big tits already.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 24, 2007 1:35 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Don't you just hate breaking movie news stories that are full of paragraphs about shit that you already know about the movie's history or subject then loads more boring pointless paragraphs about the studio business and what powers and suits and boring partnerships are involved in making it, but only one single farking paragraph about what the movie is gonna be about?

No...

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: Just tell me if She-Ra's gonna be played by someone with big tits already.

No...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fawst on Thu May 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Yah, this really shouldn't be a difficult property to make. The cartoon wasn't exactly deep, it was a 30 minute commercial for a toy. The mythology was never really explained (not that I can remember), and He-Man never had any truly defined powers. He was just really strong and able to outwit a moronic skeleton.

The plot mentioned in that press release doesn't give me too much hope. True, it's a barebones take on the film, but really... it sounds about as deep as a puddle on a glass-bottom boat.

He-Man is not the Transformers. You can really fuck with the storyline and make an incredible franchise out of it. Shit, I wouldn't even call Adam "He-Man," it's a ridiculous name. Prince Adam is fine. And why even bother hiding his identity as He-Man? It was a weak idea to begin with.

God, I really would love to take a crack at that script... Masters of the Universes. Shit, the title alone is making my brain explode with ideas and themes that were never touched on in the cartoon or the comics that came with the toys. Christ, I want this to fall apart now, so that I can bring them my treatment.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 24, 2007 2:39 pm

The comics He-Man as the Conan knockoff was better. Ignore all that Prince Adam jazz.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu May 24, 2007 2:44 pm

I actually like the Dolph Lungren version. I thought it did some clever things, and was mainly just fun 80s cheese.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Thu May 24, 2007 2:55 pm

Some of the new He-Man comics from the last couple o' years have been pretty good.

They've written some decent backstories for some of the characters like Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops.

That's two characters I'd like to see in the new movie.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu May 24, 2007 2:56 pm

It certainly did some fun things, it had that hot bitch with the ice blue eyes playing Evil-lyn. Nice touch.

It also had a VERY cool looking Castle Grayskull which we saw far too little of from the outside. Damned budget constraints!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Thu May 24, 2007 3:38 pm

buster00 wrote:Some of the new He-Man comics from the last couple o' years have been pretty good.

They've written some decent backstories for some of the characters like Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops.

Was it better than beeing run over by a tank. I always kind of likd that.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Theta on Thu May 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I actually like the Dolph Lungren version. I thought it did some clever things, and was mainly just fun 80s cheese.

Once you factor in the budget (miniscule) and the other mitigating factors, it actually becomes flat-out impressive. On just a technical level, it's really impressive how the director and producers stretched their buck without ruining the film. It's not great but it's surprisingly professional given it's an adaptation of a pretty terrible cartoon.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Thu May 24, 2007 4:38 pm

Somebody should totally make a movie out of the Star Wars toy-line
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 24, 2007 5:06 pm

Theta wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:I actually like the Dolph Lungren version. I thought it did some clever things, and was mainly just fun 80s cheese.

Once you factor in the budget (miniscule) and the other mitigating factors, it actually becomes flat-out impressive. On just a technical level, it's really impressive how the director and producers stretched their buck without ruining the film. It's not great but it's surprisingly professional given it's an adaptation of a pretty terrible cartoon.

Langella's Skeletor was great. Plus he was winning most of the movie which actually made Skeletor a threat for once. If they followed along the lines of the redone cartoon from a few years ago that might not be a bad thing either.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Thu May 24, 2007 5:13 pm

You want this to work, it'll depend on Skeletor. Make him scary. And the one way to insure that is to make him a ruthless, dark magic obsessed demon ala Bruce Campbell's Army of Darkness clone. Give him some wicked armor, a sharp sword, and let him go to town. I'm also hopeful they can do a decent Battlecat. If they can make it with the care and attention like they did with those Bantha like rodeo animals from that car commercial a few years ago, it'd be a step in the right direction.

Also, if we could get Angelina Jolie as Evil Lyn, that would be the icing on the cake. If I think of it later, I'll try to cast this thing in my mind. But Jolie needs to play a bad girl again. I just hope she's not gonna really take a year off from acting.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Thu May 24, 2007 5:16 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
buster00 wrote:Some of the new He-Man comics from the last couple o' years have been pretty good.

Was it better than beeing run over by a tank. I always kind of likd that.

I suppose it was. Depends what kind of tank.

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Thu May 24, 2007 5:20 pm

I think this would be good direction for the film to take

sorry, no He-Man bourd is complete without it
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby buster00 on Thu May 24, 2007 5:53 pm

wonkabar wrote:I think this would be good direction for the film to take

sorry, no He-Man bourd is complete without it

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Live Action He-Man Movie

Postby bastard_robo on Fri May 25, 2007 7:30 am

Fuckin A! Its not to fucking hard to do a He-man Movie.... Prince has power, cant really tell anyone, only the entity, his mentor and a floating little fuck know. He beats on a guy whos face was melted away! The story (which was developed by Paul Dini and half of the crew that gave us the DCU in cartoons!) was fleshed out enough to go from there. There really was no need for fucking around with it.

If they're doing this with He-Man, then what the Fuck did this man do with VOLTRON???????????????????

(if anyone has that script, I'm dying to read it!)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri May 25, 2007 7:37 am

I'd like to see trapjaw, whiplash, tri-clops, roboto, zodiac and moss man...

... all my favourite characters, and all left out of the original film.... oh, and no more man at arms please...

or the Homo-erotic masters - like 'ram-man' and 'Fist-o'...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Fri May 25, 2007 7:57 am

Knowing Hollywood we'll probably get Stinkor and Kowl.

Zodak and Moss Man would be great in a live action movie.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Live Action He-Man Movie

Postby bastard_robo on Fri May 25, 2007 7:59 am

— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri May 25, 2007 8:10 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Knowing Hollywood we'll probably get Stinkor

ZODAK

Oh, that was his name...

Stinkor was pretty bad though, he looked really good how the Four Horsemen re designed him, but to just have the power to stink up the place real nice wasn't good...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby judderman on Fri May 25, 2007 8:56 am

I remember dragging my poor grampa to see the first MotU movie. I felt monumentally embarrassed for him and for myself. Even as a ten-year-old, I knew it was crap.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fawst on Fri May 25, 2007 10:06 am

How do you do a live action fantasy film about good vs. evil in a land of magic and ancient technology?

Move everyone to Earth for 90% of the film. No wonder they were able to stretch the budget so far for the original.

Once again, I am of the opinion that this movie should be done as a darker, more adult film. This is a property that has been around for 25 years. I think the target audience has grown up a little.

Personally, I would love to see this be a high fantasy type of film. Make it deep. Turn this shit on it's head. You have the titular Masters of the Universe. Who are they? He-Man and Skeletor? Hardly. They've never been explained, it's just a name. You could make an insane mythology behind them. Why was Skeletor trying to get into Grayskull? For the secrets of Eternia? What secrets? Was it ultimate power, ultimate knowledge? There is so much they could do with it. I wish they would get someone with a little imagination -- oh wait, sorry, they already did that. Skeletor has an army and Adam is a soldier who "happen(s) upon" Eternia. Right. Ok, get someone with a LOT of imagination, cuz that shit is WEAK.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri May 25, 2007 11:57 am

come on, who here wouldn't rather see a live action Thundarr The Barbarian rather than another lame hokey He-Man flick?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 25, 2007 12:16 pm

Peven wrote:come on, who here wouldn't rather see a live action Thundarr The Barbarian rather than another lame hokey He-Man flick?

FUCK YES! Thundarr is much more interesting with it's Dark Tower-esque future with sorcery mixed with broken down ancient Earth tech etc.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri May 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Oh I've said that many times in many threads. Thundarr is where the fuck it's at!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Fri May 25, 2007 1:05 pm

From what I heard, they want the movie to be that Adam (A soldier from Earth) goes into a portal to Eternia.

Wait, what? Wasn't it his MOM that discovers the portal and decides to settle down there?

This is a bigger debacle than Galactus Cloud, me thinks.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Fri May 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Thundarr would be a good movie for sure. Another show that deserves the dvd treatment.
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Fri May 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Thundarr agree
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby minstrel on Fri May 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Was there really a character called "Stinkor"? Jeez.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Theta on Fri May 25, 2007 5:23 pm

minstrel wrote:Was there really a character called "Stinkor"? Jeez.

Stinkor, Fisto, Spout Snout (a guy with an armored elephant head), Moss Man, Clawful (big lobster guy)...I loved them as a kid but in retrospect, I must have had autism or something to find it so fascinating.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Fri May 25, 2007 5:39 pm

Looking back, I get the feeling that someone at Mattel created Stinkor on a bet.

"These He-Man toys are selling so goddamn much, I'll bet we could take a Mer-Man, put Mekaneck's armor on him, give him a skunk paint job...and its only special feature is that it smells like shit. And it'll STILL sell."

"Ha! I'll take that action! No WAY are kids gonna be THAT gullible!"
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri May 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Theta wrote:
minstrel wrote:Was there really a character called "Stinkor"? Jeez.

Stinkor, Fisto, Spout Snout (a guy with an armored elephant head), Moss Man, Clawful (big lobster guy)...I loved them as a kid but in retrospect, I must have had autism or something to find it so fascinating.

My guess is that Spout Snout didn't like hanging out with Stinkor very much.
minstrel

Postby SilentBobX on Sat May 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Behold Stinkor:

Of course, if the Farrelly Bros. got the He-Man movie, he'd just fart.
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat May 26, 2007 6:01 pm

"... to repel or destroy!"

What is he going to destroy by smelling awful? Other than his chances with the opposite sex? Or same sex, for that matter?

It's not like he's going to break down castle walls by stinking the joint up. I don't think so, anyway.
minstrel

Postby havocSchultz on Sat May 26, 2007 6:58 pm

minstrel wrote:"... to repel or destroy!"

What is he going to destroy by smelling awful? Other than his chances with the opposite sex? Or same sex, for that matter?

It's not like he's going to break down castle walls by stinking the joint up. I don't think so, anyway.

I don't know...you ever smelled someone's extremely bad fart - and then exclaimed - "holy shit man - that could peel the fucking paint of the walls..."

Well...multiply that by about 3...3 and a half or so...

And you've got Stinkor...

Or am I thinking about Pee Wee Herman's character from Mystery Men...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby buster00 on Sat May 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Will we finally discover the reasons and motives behind Scare Glow? Is he supposed to be the ghost of Skeletor or what?

And if so, how does Skeletor die? Did He-Man kill him? Did he overdose?

What the fuck is Scare Glow's deal, man?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat May 26, 2007 8:38 pm

buster00 wrote:Will we finally discover the reasons and motives behind Scare Glow? Is he supposed to be the ghost of Skeletor or what?

And if so, how does Skeletor die? Did He-Man kill him? Did he overdose?

What the fuck is Scare Glow's deal, man?

Maybe he scares you by glowing.

Who thinks up these characters, anyway? And who NAMES them? They're pathetic. It's almost as if some five-year-old put villain templates into a computer and ran a "villain-generator" program, and then chose the least promising of 100,000 computer-generated options.
minstrel

Postby buster00 on Sat May 26, 2007 8:44 pm

minstrel wrote:Who thinks up these characters, anyway? And who NAMES them? They're pathetic. It's almost as if some five-year-old put villain templates into a computer and ran a "villain-generator" program, and then chose the least promising of 100,000 computer-generated options.

"Do you have any idea what he's talking about?"

"No, Fisto."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie News