Random Movie News

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Random Movie News

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 am

Fievel wrote:JAMES MCAVOY, BILL HADER IN TALKS FOR IT: CHAPTER 2

Bill Hader would be awesome. I like McAvoy, but don't see him as Bill. But as good as the first film turned out, I won't question the casting.

I'm one for two so far. Never would have considered McAvoy, but I could see it.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Peven on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm

pathetic. we're less than 48 hours away from the opening of maybe the biggest genre movie ever and this place is a fucking graveyard. crickets. no mods to be seen anywhere. no so-called "comic geeks". no supposed Marvel fans. nothing.

the new "Glass" trailer screened, the follow up to "Unbreakable" and "Split".

crickets.

Tarantino appeared with Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio to announce his next movie, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".

silence.

weak. sauce. :( :-P
Last edited by Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:25 am

Sounds like a return to the PULP FICTION/JACKIE BROWN era.

I'm now more interested.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 am

Peven wrote:pathetic. we're less than 48 hours away from the opening of maybe the biggest genre movie ever and this place is a fucking graveyard. crickets. no mods to be seen anywhere. no so-called "comic geeks". no supposed Marvel fans. nothing.

the new "Glass" trailer screened, the follow up to "Unbreakable" and "Split".

crickets.

Tarantino appeared with Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio to announce his next movie, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".

silence.

weak. sauce. :( :-P

Well post some shit then dammit!

This is why you and fucking Kirks scaring away The Butcher pisses me off...he would have posted a link to the Glass trailer (didn't know this was out). He would have posted a link to the Tarantino/Pitt/Leo news (didn't know about that either).

Both of which I surely would have commented on. I don't scour the web every day for movie/geek news, I don't have time for that. That's why I loved The Butcher, he did that dirty work.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:05 pm

this is a forum, not a news site! the reason why this place was created was to have a place for people to discuss and debate shit. "no hate, just debate". there was a never a motto about "get your breaking movie news here first!" that is what the main site is for. It takes me about 10 seconds to scan the main page for new headlines and I get yahoo movie updates automatically because I have "liked" their content . i don't have time to scour the internet, either. it really is very easy to stay up on current and breaking movie news without trying hard or spending much time. it IS difficult to for me to find people to talk about movie news with, however, as much of the general public, i.e. coworkers, neighbors, etc. don't have the same level of awareness or interest in movies and have little to no desire to spend time breaking down Tarantino's work, or theorizing about what M. Night will do with Glass or any other number of in depth movie geek type conversions that I come HERE for. I don't come here for a fucking link to that takes me somewhere else to read an article about movies, I come here to have a conversation about a movie-related article or movie news I have already read with other people who are into movies, too, even if they have wildly different takes on them from me, it is better than getting blank stares or quizzical looks from people I work with when bring up how excited I am to see the next genre movie hitting theatres or wanting to break down what Tarantino was saying with The Hateful Eight.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 pm

that's nice. but so sorry's point stands. i don't go looking for movie news either, unless it happens to cross my path. not that i'm convinced thebutcher stopped posting specifically because of people like kirks or peven attacking him, but still, this site has maybe a dozen or so posters still active, and if even just 2 or 3 of those people are learning about these films or other stories from his posts, then driving him away is just shooting yourself in the foot. it may not be your preferred way of generating conversation about those films, but it's one way, and therefore one less way if he stops posting. personally, i'm not a fan of trying to shame people into posting about stuff by bemoaning how terrible this board is and how much better it used to be, which is just as old and tired as anything thebutcher ever posted, but hey, whatever you want. it's probably less successful than just posting links to stories, since those kinds of complaining posts make me NOT want to post anything about the movies themselves.

i'm not a "comic geek" anyway, i'm still at least 2 marvel films (that i know of) behind wherever they're at now and i haven't seen justice league either, so i could hardly contribute to anything about the next ones coming out.
i could care less that the Glass trailer screened somewhere, unless it's actually somewhere i can see it for myself (one of those Butcher links might come in handy for that). i'd rather see the trailer and form my own opinion than read the opinions of a bunch of other people, especially when it's just a trailer, which are often not even representative of the quality of the films themselves.
Tarantino announcing the name of his next movie doesn't seem like fertile ground for a very interesting discussion either, unless there's a plot synopsis or some other info about the film to go along with it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:52 pm

so, you don't really appreciate movies, you're not really a movie guy, not really into genre movies. makes sense that you would choose to post on a forum that was created as a space for people to share ideas and viewpoints on all things movies first and foremost, and leaning toward a genre movie sensibility. :roll:

Butcher was a bot, for all intents and purposes, a non-responsive bot. the fact that he no longer posts here is NO skin off my teeth. i have no idea, no feel for who he was, what he thought about movies, or anything else, because he was a total non-presence here as a human. you can't talk about the latest movie coming out with a fucking link. "so, link, what did you think about that news? wow, pretty heavy stuff, eh?" if he had actually participated in discussions and/or added his take on links when he put them up at least THEN it would make a difference if he still posted here or not.

you like to use this place to drop sophemoric one-liners and whine about how bad The Walking Dead is, even though you continue to help keep it alive by watching it. you're not really invested in the reason why the zone was created at it's inception and the spirit that made this place so engaging the first few years. you used to have an avatar with "her tit is out, let the snake hit it". classy.
a real cinemaphile. so i am not surprised at all that you don't understand why someone would bemoan the demise of the cinematicentric identity of this place.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Peven wrote:so, you don't really appreciate movies, you're not really a movie guy, not really into genre movies. makes sense that you would choose to post on a forum that was created as a space for people to share ideas and viewpoints on all things movies first and foremost, and leaning toward a genre movie sensibility. :roll:

Butcher was a bot, for all intents and purposes, a non-responsive bot. the fact that he no longer posts here is NO skin off my teeth. i have no idea, no feel for who he was, what he thought about movies, or anything else, because he was a total non-presence here as a human. you can't talk about the latest movie coming out with a fucking link. "so, link, what did you think about that news? wow, pretty heavy stuff, eh?" if he had actually participated in discussions and/or added his take on links when he put them up at least THEN it would make a difference if he still posted here or not.

you like to use this place to drop sophemoric one-liners and whine about how bad The Walking Dead is, even though you continue to help keep it alive by watching it. you're not really invested in the reason why the zone was created at it's inception and the spirit that made this place so engaging the first few years. you used to have an avatar with "her tit is out, let the snake hit it". classy.
a real cinemaphile. so i am not surprised at all that you don't understand why someone would bemoan the demise of the cinematicentric identity of this place.

You crack me up sometimes!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:24 pm

I think you made me chuckle once back in '08 :wink: :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Peven wrote:so, you don't really appreciate movies, you're not really a movie guy, not really into genre movies. makes sense that you would choose to post on a forum that was created as a space for people to share ideas and viewpoints on all things movies first and foremost, and leaning toward a genre movie sensibility. :roll:

yeah, because genre movies are the only kind of movies there are :roll:

i don't know what that "her tits out, let the snake hit it" avatar you're talking about. i don't remember anyone here ever having an avatar that resembled that description, and i know i never did.

but hey, as long as we're talking about avatars, maybe you and everyone else here could bother to take 5 seconds to replace or at least remove those fucking photobucket links that don't work anymore. that massive "is this your photo?" image takes up more space and is way more annoying than anything thebutcher ever posted. maybe that's what drove him away... at least butcher kept his av links up to date.

the best conversations i've ever had in this forum have been for tv shows, especially during the runs for Lost and BSG. the GoT discussions could have been nearly as good if there was still as many posters left here as there used to be. the TWD discussions are always going to be shitty because the show is shitty, but you work with what you've got. i've had some decent film-based discussions here in the past too, but the participation level is so poor now, and when much of the discussion comes from a certain smug know-it-all who doesn't value anyone's opinions other than his own, it tends to remove any fun from the process and make it not worth the bother. is it really so shocking to you that no one wants to talk film with you when your default "discussion" mode is to insult and belittle anyone who's opinion differs from your own?

i have much better film conversations with my real-life friends and family, so the fact that this place doesn't really foster much of that anymore doesn't really bother me because i don't depend on this place for that. frankly, i'm surprised this place is still around. it's never going to go back to what it was, so it seems pointless to constantly moan and whine about it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Enough of your whining. James Ransone was just cast as Eddie in IT CHAPTER TWO.

I called that shit!
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Wed May 16, 2018 9:50 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Enough of your whining. James Ransone was just cast as Eddie in IT CHAPTER TWO.

I called that shit!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 pm

And now they've cast some CW twink as Ben for IT TWO. I can't speak for his acting because for reasons beyond my comprehension I have not seen that Smallville Beauty and the Beast show, but he for damn sure looks like he could be a Jerry O'Connellized grown up Ben.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Jamie Foxx officially playing Spawn in the new reboot

I went thru a pretty heavy Spawn faze in the mid 90s (comics obviously), really didn't like the movie adaptation, but I think the animated series was good from what i can remember. Normally I'd say this is an unwanted movie property at this point, but since its being directed by McFarland himself, at least I imagine that HIS vision is the one I'd most like to see.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:55 am

Isaiah Mustafa Is Mike In “IT: Chapter Two”

Pretty sure no one called this one. :shock:
I seriously look forward to seeing him play Mike. As far as I know, I only know him as the Old Spice Guy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:08 pm

The Sandlot is getting a prequel for some fucking reason

This movie squarely falls in the nostalgically-remembered-but-actually-not-good department.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:51 pm

so sorry wrote:The Sandlot is getting a prequel for some fucking reason

This movie squarely falls in the nostalgically-remembered-but-actually-not-good department.

for once you and I agree on something

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:The Sandlot is getting a prequel for some fucking reason

for once you and I agree on something

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

It's been long enough since I last saw THE SANDLOT to judge its quality, but it has yummy MILF Karen Allen in it so it can't be all bad!
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Will Smith not black enough to play black role

This is fucking ridiculous. I'm sure someone here can tell me why I'm the problem somehow, but I just can't understand this one. People have too much time on their hands and too much perceived self-importance that they have to blog/report about this? Jeebus.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm

He's already in hot water for wearing blueface in Aladdin.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm

so sorry wrote:Will Smith not black enough to play black role

This is fucking ridiculous. I'm sure someone here can tell me why I'm the problem somehow, but I just can't understand this one. People have too much time on their hands and too much perceived self-importance that they have to blog/report about this? Jeebus.

holy shit, man, how socially obtuse can you be? you're a caricature of typical passively bigoted middle aged men in this country. i'm not even "picking a side" here in the discussion of whether or not Will Smith is "black enough" to play the role, I don't really feel i'm qualified to weigh in to be honest, but I am aware of and have a respect for the issue itself, as should any adult in 2019.

https://abc.go.com/playlists/PL551778118/video/VDKA7553243

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_eBm8qvLAk

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/n/colorism-in-hollywood-needs-to-stop/vp-AAylH0K

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:41 am

Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:Will Smith not black enough to play black role

holy shit, man, how socially obtuse can you be? you're a caricature of typical passively bigoted middle aged men in this country. i'm not even "picking a side" here in the discussion of whether or not Will Smith is "black enough" to play the role, I don't really feel i'm qualified to weigh in to be honest, but I am aware of and have a respect for the issue itself, as should any adult in 2019.

https://abc.go.com/playlists/PL551778118/video/VDKA7553243

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_eBm8qvLAk

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/n/colorism-in-hollywood-needs-to-stop/vp-AAylH0K

And there you go, just like expected. Colorism in real life may be a thing, but to say that an actor shouldn't even be considered for a role because of how dark he is seems ridiculous to me. This isn't a ScarJo/Ghost in the Shell kind of casting thing.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 am

on the surface (no pun intended), it may seem ridiculous to you and me. but, we are white males who do not have the same life experiences to draw from when discussing this issue. just like when women discuss sexual harrassment and assault, this is one of those issues where us white men are better off shutting up and listening, than trying to express an opinion from a limited base of knowledge and experience.

there are a lot of things that probably once seemed "ridiculous" to us heterosexual white males and other groups of people who weren't directly affected. why certain words or phrases are considered offensive, and why the offended groups may be allowed to use those terms when we are not. a woman going to a party and passing out drunk, and then complaining about being raped afterwards was once considered "ridiculous". or Dumbledore people wanting to get married, women wanting to vote, or black people not wanting to sit at the back of the bus, use different water fountains, and attending separate schools. all these things, to the white men who were around at those times, probably seemed ridiculous to them. this particular issue, one that doesn't primarily involve us directly, is probably one we should just keep quiet about. it's fine to have an opinion about it, it's even fine if that opinion is that it is ridiculous (there are plenty of black people, of various shades, who think it's ridiculous too) but it's probably about time that us white men recognize that there are some things about which our opinions don't matter and don't have value, and this is one of those things.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:31 am

TheBaxter wrote:on the surface (no pun intended), it may seem ridiculous to you and me. but, we are white males who do not have the same life experiences to draw from when discussing this issue. just like when women discuss sexual harrassment and assault, this is one of those issues where us white men are better off shutting up and listening, than trying to express an opinion from a limited base of knowledge and experience.

there are a lot of things that probably once seemed "ridiculous" to us heterosexual white males and other groups of people who weren't directly affected. why certain words or phrases are considered offensive, and why the offended groups may be allowed to use those terms when we are not. a woman going to a party and passing out drunk, and then complaining about being raped afterwards was once considered "ridiculous". or Dumbledore people wanting to get married, women wanting to vote, or black people not wanting to sit at the back of the bus, use different water fountains, and attending separate schools. all these things, to the white men who were around at those times, probably seemed ridiculous to them. this particular issue, one that doesn't primarily involve us directly, is probably one we should just keep quiet about. it's fine to have an opinion about it, it's even fine if that opinion is that it is ridiculous (there are plenty of black people, of various shades, who think it's ridiculous too) but it's probably about time that us white men recognize that there are some things about which our opinions don't matter and don't have value, and this is one of those things.

Well first off, thank you for a dignified response.

And everything you said is true. Everything you cite is true, but everything you said involves real world examples. This is about an actor portraying another person. Barring heavy makeup and prosthetics, does every portrayal of a historical figure have to result in direct matches? And it does involve me directly if the goal of the movie is to get me to go see it. Should I not have an opinion about the movie itself since I'm not black and wasn't raised the same way as these black women?

I guess I'm the one overthinking it, even though I feel like other people are the ones overthinking it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:on the surface (no pun intended), it may seem ridiculous to you and me. but, we are white males who do not have the same life experiences to draw from when discussing this issue. just like when women discuss sexual harrassment and assault, this is one of those issues where us white men are better off shutting up and listening, than trying to express an opinion from a limited base of knowledge and experience.

Well first off, thank you for a dignified response.

And everything you said is true. Everything you cite is true, but everything you said involves real world examples. This is about an actor portraying another person. Barring heavy makeup and prosthetics, does every portrayal of a historical figure have to result in direct matches? And it does involve me directly if the goal of the movie is to get me to go see it. Should I not have an opinion about the movie itself since I'm not black and wasn't raised the same way as these black women?

I guess I'm the one overthinking it, even though I feel like other people are the ones overthinking it.

this is a real world example. why certain people get hired for certain jobs and other people don't is something that has a tremendous effect on people in the real world. i don't think this is about one actor being hired for one particular role, but as a single example of something that affects a lot of people, and not just in the film industry. what people see on the screen affects how they see the world around them, and if darker-skinned people are shown less often than ligher-skinned people (even if both are officially "black") then it influences what is seen as acceptable to the general public, and it can affect how difficult it is for darker-skinned people to be hired in other fields, which in fact has been shown to be the case, that darker-skinned blacks are discriminated against more often than lighter-skinned people. the reason it comes up in particular with historic roles is because those are concrete examples where the "character" being cast is explicitly a darker-skinned person, whereas for fictional roles they are generally just described as being "black", if even that.

as for however affected us white people are by this issue, it's only tangentially. whether you choose to see a film or not is a miniscule effect compared to how a person with darker skin is affected, not just by this single instance, but by the entire cumulative impact of these kinds of decisions on their life. the decision to see a movie, or enjoyment of that movie, surely we can agree is of much smaller significance than the ability to find work or otherwise not be discriminated against in one's daily life.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:25 am

:roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Even after a decade on these forums I can't tell if Peven is merely trolling or is genuinely an asshole.

I have no opinion on this casting, however, as I think that Nina Simone biopic from a few years back set the bar so high on this issue that few films could ever hope to clear it.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:58 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Even after a decade on these forums I can't tell if Peven is merely trolling or is genuinely an asshole.

oh, i figured that one out a long time ago.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:11 pm

I am just so hurt , some people on the internet who have no clue who I am think I am an asshole. my world is rocked :roll: you remind me of the 8th graders I work with every day with your little clique mentalities, you're to simple and juvenile to realize how simple and juvenile you are, it's not like I expect anything different by now. c'est la vie :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 pm

See?
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Peven wrote:I am just so hurt , some people on the internet who have no clue who I am think I am an asshole. my world is rocked :roll: you remind me of the 8th graders I work with every day with your little clique mentalities, you're to simple and juvenile to realize how simple and juvenile you are, it's not like I expect anything different by now. c'est la vie :D

Q.E.D.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:19 pm

meanwhile...

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 am

So I've been on the fence about Taika Waititi, the quirky New Zealand-based director who makes a ton of comedies, Thor: Ragnarok most notably. Then he released this clip to promote his new film Jojo Rabbit, about a boy in WWII-era Germany who argues with an imaginary Hitler*, and he's won me over forever. Witness this masterclass in humor and meme-savvy:

https://twitter.com/jojorabbitmovie/status/1154798536044634113

*I also did not know that Taika Waititi was Jewish. He's a man who wears many hats.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:24 pm

Ribbons wrote:So I've been on the fence about Taika Waititi, the quirky New Zealand-based director who makes a ton of comedies, Thor: Ragnarok most notably. Then he released this clip to promote his new film Jojo Rabbit, about a boy in WWII-era Germany who argues with an imaginary Hitler*, and he's won me over forever. Witness this masterclass in humor and meme-savvy:

https://twitter.com/jojorabbitmovie/status/1154798536044634113

*I also did not know that Taika Waititi was Jewish. He's a man who wears many hats.

the latest trailer looks even better

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Previous

Return to Movie News