Random Movie News

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:58 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Peven wrote:i have a random movie question and can't find a question thread, so i will ask it here, hopefully one of the Aussie or UK zoners can help me here; years ago i remember seeing a movie late late at night on HBO and have since not seen it anywhere since. "Twin Town" was the name of the movie. two brothers who were constantly smoking weed who end up turn violent when someone makes the mistake of harming their mother. a quirky little movie. ring a bell?

Yep, it's a Welsh kitchen sink jobbie starring Rhys Ifans before he started appearing in rom-coms. Looking at the video case now, it says his brother was played by someone called Llyr Ifans, so I take it they must have been real-life brothers.

I haven't seen it for a few years, but I remember it's an even seedier Welsh version of Trainspotting.

I seem to recall it starting off quite light-hearted in a dingy kind of way, until the brothers' whole family gets killed off one by one (I think their sister and dog end up going up in a trailer fire or something), at which point it turns into a pretty bizarre Swansea version of Death Wish.

I enjoyed it as a bit of a laugh. It's even got Tom Jones on the soundtrack.

Tom Jones ydy y Cymraeg sefydliad!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Two things I learnt using that Welsh translator just now:

1) Tom is Welsh for dirt

2) The word "Welsh", once translated, sounds a little like cum-rag.

There is meaning here, I'm just not sure what it is...
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:39 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Peven wrote:i have a random movie question and can't find a question thread, so i will ask it here, hopefully one of the Aussie or UK zoners can help me here; years ago i remember seeing a movie late late at night on HBO and have since not seen it anywhere since. "Twin Town" was the name of the movie. two brothers who were constantly smoking weed who end up turn violent when someone makes the mistake of harming their mother. a quirky little movie. ring a bell?

Yep, it's a Welsh kitchen sink jobbie starring Rhys Ifans before he started appearing in rom-coms. Looking at the video case now, it says his brother was played by someone called Llyr Ifans, so I take it they must have been real-life brothers.

I haven't seen it for a few years, but I remember it's an even seedier Welsh version of Trainspotting.

I seem to recall it starting off quite light-hearted in a dingy kind of way, until the brothers' whole family gets killed off one by one (I think their sister and dog end up going up in a trailer fire or something), at which point it turns into a pretty bizarre Swansea version of Death Wish.

i did find it on Amazon on dvd, but on in region 2 format only. i can set my laptop to play that, right?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:42 pm

Peven wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

i did find it on Amazon on dvd, but on in region 2 format only. i can set my laptop to play that, right?

I'm not sure if it's the same in the U.S. but there's this incredibly annoying feature on British laptops that only lets you change the region 5 times. Meaning, to watch one British movie you'd have to change it twice (to Region 2 and back again afterwards).

Never fear, however, there is a program called DVD Region + CSS Free available, either by legal means or otherwise.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:45 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Peven wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the same in the U.S. but there's this incredibly annoying feature on British laptops that only lets you change the region 5 times. Meaning, to watch one British movie you'd have to change it twice (to Region 2 and back again afterwards).

Never fear, however, there is a program called DVD Region + CSS Free available, either by legal means or otherwise.

sweet, thanks man

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Guillermo Del Toro's Frankenstein

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Frankenstein by Guillermo Del Toro?
Del Toro revealed that he has "always been" interested in directing a new version of Frankenstein, and that he is hard at work doing pre-production. Due to the WGA strike, he is unable to work on a script, but he is currently creating illustrations and images that he hopes to use to create the world of the classic monster and his creator, Victor Frankenstein.

"I started doing some notes before the strike," Del Toro states, "I can only draw now."

source : movieweb

"The only way to do the Shelley novel is to actually do a four-hour miniseries," he said. But I think there permutations in which you can tell the myth in a different way." del Toro also joked that he will cast Robert De Niro in the role of Frankenstein, and that the director himself will "appear shirtless for most of the length of the film."

source : cinematical and mtv
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:37 am

Guillermo Del Toro wrote:The only way to do the Shelley novel is to actually do a four-hour miniseries

Agreed, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:39 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Guillermo Del Toro wrote:The only way to do the Shelley novel is to actually do a four-hour miniseries

Agreed, eh?

Wow! With Doctor Who as "The Sea Captain" no less! I gotta get a copy of that...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 am

It was actually not half a bad, eh? Iffa the Dino's memory, she serves...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby instant_karma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:03 pm

TheButcher wrote:Frankenstein by Guillermo Del Toro?
Del Toro revealed that he has "always been" interested in directing a new version of Frankenstein, and that he is hard at work doing pre-production. Due to the WGA strike, he is unable to work on a script, but he is currently creating illustrations and images that he hopes to use to create the world of the classic monster and his creator, Victor Frankenstein.

"I started doing some notes before the strike," Del Toro states, "I can only draw now."

Does anybody actually beleive any of these 'I'm not doing any writing during the strike' comments?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:11 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:

I haven't seen that in years--I bet I caught the same late night showing Peven did.

Dougray Scott was in it too, one of the rare "Wow, this guy can act" moments that never turned into a career, poor guy. "But I wanna watch Serpico!"

It did become so dark and twisted at the end. Suddenly you felt filthy for laughing as it just crossed the crazy line. I remember Scott's character was offed pretty viciously too.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:52 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

I haven't seen that in years--I bet I caught the same late night showing Peven did.

Dougray Scott was in it too, one of the rare "Wow, this guy can act" moments that never turned into a career, poor guy. "But I wanna watch Serpico!"

It did become so dark and twisted at the end. Suddenly you felt filthy for laughing as it just crossed the crazy line. I remember Scott's character was offed pretty viciously too.

"Pretty Shitty City"
Dougray Scott

That line still makes me laugh.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:10 pm

instant_karma wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Fra nkenstein by Guillermo Del Toro?

Does anybody actually beleive any of these 'I'm not doing any writing during the strike' comments?

about as much as i believe quality matters to them :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Writers should be writing during the strike. They just shouldn't be selling. You've gotta keep the engine warm, you know?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:58 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Writers should be writing during the strike. They just shouldn't be selling. You've gotta keep the engine warm, you know?

They can still sell to indie companies and overseas right?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Pee Wee Herman

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 pm

wonkabar wrote:Don't know if anyone's posted this yet....and it might be worthy of it's own thread at some point (if you can't resist, I understand...I almost started one) Just remembered this cuz I'm watching Pushing Daises right now....

Pee Wee returns.....w/ Depp maybe???

But can the 55-year-old Reubens realistically don Pee-wee's red bow tie again? The actor said he remains confident, especially after his first appearance in character in 15 years at Spike TV's Guys Choice Awards. Despite asking himself, "What in the hell are you doing?" as he stood backstage in costume, Reubens said the character "came right back" to him. Still, Reubens said he had a backup plan nonetheless for the Pee-wee movies should he not be up for the part. "My second option is to have Johnny Depp play Pee-wee," he said. Pie-in-the-sky casting or a realistic plan, Reubens insisted that he's even spoken to Depp about it, saying that the actor told him, "Let me think about it."

Paul Reubens might star in Life During Wartime from Todd Solondz

Michel Gondry's 'Return of the Ice Kings' is not a sequel to the Ice Pirates.
source
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby LaDracul on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:04 am

According to Wizard's Movie Annual-

*Avi Arad finally put down his perverted underage fantasies to bed and is working on a film about "RoboSapien". You know, the toy robot? In the film, a robot named Toby is created to help humans, but the military wants him as a weapon. So he runs away, and meets an 11-year old boy who he befriends. It's not quite "E.T.", but better than "MAC and Me".

*Disney is making a film called "Final Ascent" which is about climbers in the Himalayas who come across a legendary monster. How long before they decide to change it into a movie based on "Expedition Everest"?
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:57 pm

TheButcher wrote:
wonkabar wrote:Don't know if anyone's posted this yet....and it might be worthy of it's own thread at some point (if you can't resist, I understand...I almost started one) Just remembered this cuz I'm watching Pushing Daises right now....

Pee Wee returns.....w/ Depp maybe???

But can the 55-year-old Reubens realistically don Pee-wee's red bow tie again? The actor said he remains confident, especially after his first appearance in character in 15 years at Spike TV's Guys Choice Awards. Despite asking himself, "What in the hell are you doing?" as he stood backstage in costume, Reubens said the character "came right back" to him. Still, Reubens said he had a backup plan nonetheless for the Pee-wee movies should he not be up for the part. "My second option is to have Johnny Depp play Pee-wee," he said. Pie-in-the-sky casting or a realistic plan, Reubens insisted that he's even spoken to Depp about it, saying that the actor told him, "Let me think about it."

Paul Reubens might star in Life During Wartime from Todd Solondz

Michel Gondry's 'Return of the Ice Kings' is not a sequel to the Ice Pirates.source

CLEAREDUPILASH!

Disappointed :arrow: Image

Jesus fuck. Ron Perlman looks like an absolute goon. I mean, way more than usual. Fucking Quest for Ice over here has eyes that are so close together, the right eye is in the left socket, and vice versa.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:48 am

Daniel Clowes to write and direct Paul and Michel Gondry's animated film Migel Munya:

/film wrote:Last year Michel Gondry let word leak that he and his 16-year-old son Paul are working on an animated film. Last week /Film got the chance to speak to Gondry in San Francisco, and learned that Dan Clowes, the comic book artist, best known for the film adaptation of Ghost World, is writing the film’s screenplay. Clowes and Michel Gondry have discussed collaborating on a film adaptation of Rudy Rucker’s novel Master of Space and Time, which has been in development heck since 2004. This would be their first collaboration.

“It’s based on [Gondry’s son Paul’s] universe. He’s a sixteen year old. He’s very unique, very funny and very violent in his drawing and his art, showing everything that you could think of that I should have stopped him from coming in contact with, but I failed. He grew up watching Tom & Jerry and Ren and Stimpy, Spongebob. If you take all that and mix it with Gangster movies with blood, you get his universe.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:11 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:53 pm

Toy Story 3 in 3-D.
According to a press release sent out by Walt Disney Studios, Pixar is preparing for a 3-D version of the soon-to-be-released Toy Story 3, as well as 3-D versions for Toy Story and Toy Story 2.

BRENDAN FRASER has seen 15 minutes of Star Wars in 3-D.
That lucky bastard!
"I've actually seen 15 minutes of Darth Vader entering and capturing [Princess] Leia," Fraser said. "The best part was that some of the extras are running around, and they wore helmets and stuff, and because it's in 3D you see so much detail that you can see one of the extras was wearing, like, a construction worker's helmet that someone took a blowtorch to so that it melted to look different. It was yellow on the inside and spray-painted on the outside. So it'll have real charm going backwards to see that stuff."

source : wizard universe
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby LaDracul on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm

TheButcher wrote:Toy Story 3 in 3-D.
According to a press release sent out by Walt Disney Studios, Pixar is preparing for a 3-D version of the soon-to-be-released Toy Story 3, as well as 3-D versions for Toy Story and Toy Story 2.

That lucky bastard!
"I've actually seen 15 minutes of Darth Vader entering and capturing [Princess] Leia," Fraser said. "The best part was that some of the extras are running around, and they wore helmets and stuff, and because it's in 3D you see so much detail that you can see one of the extras was wearing, like, a construction worker's helmet that someone took a blowtorch to so that it melted to look different. It was yellow on the inside and spray-painted on the outside. So it'll have real charm going backwards to see that stuff."

I hope more theaters convert to digital soon! I love 3D films! (Although I wasn't interested in "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl".)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby junesquad on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:57 pm

LaDracul wrote:

That lucky bastard!

I hope more theaters convert to digital soon! I love 3D films! (Although I wasn't interested in "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl".)

That all sounds very exciting... soon we'll be in the movie and walking around.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:59 pm

junesquad wrote:
LaDracul wrote:

That lucky bastard!

That all sounds very exciting... soon we'll be in the movie and walking around.

Can you imagine doing something like that during a movie like Cloverfield?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Zarles on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:04 pm

TheButcher wrote:Can you imagine doing something like that during a movie like Cloverfield?

Yeah. Walking around and bitching at everything while the monster stepped on our heads would be awesome.

:twisted:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Zarles wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Can you imagine doing something like that during a movie like Cloverfield?

Yeah. Walking around and bitching at everything while the monster stepped on our heads would be awesome.

:twisted:

Haha :lol:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bamf on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:52 pm

Disney raped my...uhh...middle school years!

Stop 3D please, leave it to the theme parks.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby LaDracul on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:39 am

LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:42 am

I did hear about that but I'm not super familiar with Mandrake the magician (until I got all wikipedia on the topic).

Of course anything with Johnathan Rhys-Meyers usually gets me interested in the project so I hope this will be good.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:58 am

Well, if anyone remembers "Defenders of the Earth", they should know who he is.

At least this is moving forward...he was supposed to be Schmendrick in "The Last Unicorn", but so far, nothing else on that project in years.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:37 am

I am not sure if this has been posted, but it surely random as hell

Story Highlights

Clay Aiken is playing Sir Robin in "Monty Python's Spamalot"

Aiken thought Python was person until 3 months ago and, at first, hated show

Then saw show again, appreciated fact it was "silliest thing ever

And to top it off, TFA pic looks like friggin Martin Short doing an Aiken impersonation.

Dear God, are you there? It's me, unikrunk.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 am

unikrunk wrote:I am not sure if this has been posted, but it surely random as hell

Story Highlights

Clay Aiken is playing Sir Robin in "Monty Python's Spamalot"

Aiken thought Python was person until 3 months ago and, at first, hated show

Then saw show again, appreciated fact it was "silliest thing ever

And to top it off, TFA pic looks like friggin Martin Short doing an Aiken impersonation.

Dear God, are you there? It's me, unikrunk.

Sigh. Just sigh.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:09 am

Martin Short as Clay Aiken wrote:Image

Isn't it just the silliest thing ever! I LOVE IT, Mary!
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:38 pm

DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:06 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Best.Trailer.EVAR!

I kept waiting for a punchline!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:09 pm

I think I just vomited in my mouth.

EDIT : Is the actress's name really Stacy Asswad? Cool!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Flumm on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:12 pm

so sorry wrote:

I kept waiting for a punchline!

LOL

Same.

".... and now she's married to a a wacky, slob-like Alien named Herblobolese Beta III!"

-Starring Pauly Shore as a Herblobolese Beta III-

Yeah, this trailer scares and confuses me with it's earnestness.

And moreover, I'm not at all sure if that's my problem, or the trailers.
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:

And Michael RozDumbledore!

I just hope those two crazy kids can make it in this world.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:22 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:

And Michael RozDumbledore!

I just hope those two crazy kids can make it in this world.

I saw those names and thought the same...

Ass and Dumbledore in a christian film. Gotta be some studio exec. laughing his ass off in an unemployment line somewhere...

How much you wanna bet Junesquad review's this?.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Looking forward to reading this big article on all the things that went wrong with The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen as it's a film I highly anticipated and was majorly disappointed over.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby LaDracul on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 am

Is it that thing where they put films on trial?

Oddly enough, I really wouldn't be too upset if that sequel went direct to DVD...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:27 pm

Wesley Snipes has come out looking pretty good in his IRS tax case. He was only found guilty of misdemeanor charges in tax evasion case.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby buster00 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:55 pm

Vegeta wrote:Wesley Snipes has come out looking pretty good in his IRS tax case. He was only found guilty of misdemeanor charges in tax evasion case.

Always bet on black.

/obligatory
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:30 pm

I heard the TV movie is already in development and it's called Defendant 57.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:41 am

After the prosecution rested, Snipes came out laughing. "That's IT?" He seemed pretty confident that he'd be okay. I guess he was right.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby LaDracul on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:30 am

LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:48 am

They'd better keep Robin Williams the hell away from that project.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:51 am

Pacino86845 wrote:They'd better keep Robin Williams the hell away from that project.

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:52 am

IPAMPILASH!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:34 am

Del Toro to direct... and Gaiman to write... Doctor Strange!?!?!?

Cool...... but I wants some Hobbits first I do....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Seppuku on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:24 am

Fievel wrote:Del Toro to direct... and Gaiman to write... Doctor Strange!?!?!?

Cool...... but I wants some Hobbits first I do....

Sometimes I wonder whether the sole purpose of Guillermo Del Toro's existence is to keep movie scoop sites and mags in the black. That goes double for Tarantino; at least Del Toro will occasionally direct something he's said he will.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News