Random Movie News

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Random Movie News

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:41 pm

http://deadline.com/2016/03/margot-robb ... 201724075/

As a native Oregonian I have been waiting for this film my entire life. I hope Margot steps aside to allow Jennifer Lawrence to play this part. Get David O. Russell to direct. Hollywood the SHIT out of this thing. I'm talking 90% fictionalized bullshit. I want to see Nancy Kerrigan's knee reduced to fucking hamburger meat in this thing. End the film with the fucking Celebrity Boxing match with Paula Jones (played by Ann Hathaway).

I will see this shit opening night.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:46 am

wasn't this already a Lifetime movie of the week?
margot robbie is WAY too hot to play tonya harding. i guess they're gonna give her the charlize theron Monster treatment or something. this is more upsetting to me than zoe saldana playing nina simone. they should have given this part to a legitimately ugly person. was rebel wilson not available or something? she was born to play this part.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 am

TheBaxter wrote:wasn't this already a Lifetime movie of the week?
margot robbie is WAY too hot to play tonya harding. i guess they're gonna give her the charlize theron Monster treatment or something. this is more upsetting to me than zoe saldana playing nina simone. they should have given this part to a legitimately ugly person. was rebel wilson not available or something? she was born to play this part.

I heard Mellissa McCarthy was playing Jeff Gillooly.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Anna Kendrick's teeth as Nancy Kerrigan's teeth
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:47 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Anna Kendrick's teeth as Nancy Kerrigan's teeth

Jessie Eisenberg as Kerrigan's knee.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:18 pm

so sorry wrote:

michael cera would be my first choice, but this is a respectable 2nd option.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:32 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

michael cera would be my first choice, but this is a respectable 2nd option.

She has two knees, and we all know how Hollywood tends to embellish/complicate a simple story...
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Amy Adams would've made a good Tonya Harding ten years ago.

I nominate Sam Rockwell for Gillooly, but they'll probably go with Dominic Cooper or some shit.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:39 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Amy Adams would've made a good Tonya Harding ten years ago.

i can see the resemblance. but she's still too pretty to play tonya harding. harding is like what amy adams would look like if you peeled her face off, ran it through a cuisinart for a few minutes, and then reattached it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:07 am

In other news, Jason Statham to play deep sea diver (finally)!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74951
caruso_stalker217

Postby papalazeru on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Just saw the Jungle book.

Just, don't!

This film tries to fill the middle ground between a Disney film and an adult movie version - and it just doens't work at all.

As I said leaving the theatre, utter shit.

Why there's singing through the movie is beyond me, it just totally doesn't work!!!

CGI is middle of the road but what really pushed me over the edge was the bad dubbing and awful sound FX. A prime example is Baloo walking, it's the SAME FOOTSTEP SOUND NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

Also, watch out for the moment where Mowgli is washing his legs off in the lake, the sound is totally out of sync it's ridiculous and pulls you right out the movie.

Christopher Walken is the films star, a complete scene stealer and had me in hysterics, Murray's great as Baloo but after Walken, it doesn't touch the sides.

Unlike the Disney, I have no empathy with Mowgli's bland character and it's poorly acted on his part.

I think if the movie was a made without proper speech, it could have survived based on good character perforamces (possibly even better if it was all just CGI - they could have gone the whole hog with chase scenes).

So yeah, don't watch unless you're really bored and Deadpool isn't playing anywhere else
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:15 pm

I actually saw The Jungle Book last night and really liked it. I guess I have no choice now but to ban papa.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:10 am

Ribbons wrote:I actually saw The Jungle Book last night and really liked it. I guess I have no choice now but to ban papa.

Ban me and my 2pay alt for stating opinions!!!!!!

No sir, I didn't like it. I think if it was just a kids film or just an adult film it would bave worked. They didn't seem to have the ability to fuse them both like Pixar have done in the past.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:30 pm

It was a tightrope walk to be sure, but I think they mostly pulled it off. The only part I found to be genuinely unsettling was the scene with Kaa (the snake), but hey, kids could stand to have the crap scared out of them every now and then.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 am

papalazeru wrote:Just saw the Jungle book.

Why there's singing through the movie is beyond me, it just totally doesn't work!!!

If you are going to go all out like most Disney movies, throw in a dumb song every 3 minutes. Be consistent.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 13, 2016 8:17 pm

{EXCLUSIVE} “GOOSEBUMPS” DIRECTOR ROB LETTERMAN READY TO PLAY “DUNGEONS & DRAGONS” AT WARNER BROS.
Letterman’s past credits include Goosebumps, Monsters Vs. Aliens, and Shark Tale.
Josh Lyons wrote:Goosebumps director Rob Letterman is set to direct the highly-anticipated adaptation of the iconic role-playing game DUNGEONS & DRAGONS for Warner Bros., sources close to the Tracking Board have confirmed. Letterman will be working from a script by Wrath of the Titans scribe David Leslie Jones.

Based on the popular fantasy role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons originally designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson and first published in 1974, the action-adventure tale centers on a warrior and his band of mystical creatures – including a half-dragon and a cunning gnome – as they embark on a dangerous journey to find a mythical treasure.

'Goosebumps' Director Rob Letterman to Take on 'Dungeons & Dragons'
The adaptation has found its Dungeon Master.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Sat May 14, 2016 2:26 pm

At last! The long-awaited followup to the critically and commercially successful first Dungeons & Dragons film.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Sun May 15, 2016 10:30 am

Bah! I don't - what's the word? Research my posts before I make them. I prefer my assertions to be made on impulse.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sun May 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Bah! I don't - what's the word? Research my posts before I make them. I prefer my assertions to be made on impulse.

Have you ever considered a future in politics? :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Wolfpack on Sun May 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Fievel wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Bah! I don't - what's the word? Research my posts before I make them. I prefer my assertions to be made on impulse.

I have considered a future in politics, and the future looks mighty bleak and depressing.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun May 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Last I heard Disney had acquired the rights to the animated D&D show from the 80s. I'm kinda surprised they haven't done anything with it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sun May 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Fievel wrote:

he already failed, the correct response would have been to deny that any other D&D films existed, ignoring all facts and evidence that shows they do exist, and calling me a liar and a loser and probably a communist.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 16, 2016 12:35 am

Lyin' Baxter keeps trying to change the subject. Why won't he call it Dungeons & Dragons instead of D&D!? What is he hiding!!!?! I have photographs from the '70s that prove Lyin' Baxter is really Gary Gygax.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Mon May 16, 2016 5:08 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:

he already failed, the correct response would have been to deny that any other D&D films existed, ignoring all facts and evidence that shows they do exist, and calling me a liar and a loser and probably a communist.

Also he's much too slow. Assertions should be warp instead of impulse.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 16, 2016 11:05 am

Ribbons wrote:Lyin' Baxter keeps trying to change the subject. Why won't he call it Dungeons & Dragons instead of D&D!? What is he hiding!!!?! I have photographs from the '70s that prove Lyin' Baxter is really Gary Gygax.

wow, this post is so low energy, i fell asleep halfway through reading it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Wed May 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Early Warcraft reviews say it's for diehard fans only

So pretty much like every video game film ever that isn't directed by Uwe Boll (whose movies are for people that hate themselves and want to die).
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

NATIONAL TREASURE 3: THEY SAVED NIXON'S BRAIN

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2016 5:17 am

Collider:
'National Treasure 3': Nic Cage Says the Writers Are Still Fact-Checking
Nicolas Cage gives an update on the potential for a National Treasure 3 movie

TheButcher wrote:From IESB.net: National Treasure 3 is Officially a Go
One surprise had producer Jerry Bruckheimer and actor Nicolas Cage on stage to talk about their favorite Disney franchise, “National Treasure.”

Jerry Bruckheimer, Nicolas Cage and Disney's Dick Cook confirmed that National Treasure 3 was currently in development.

Another installment of the popular history based franchise was expected but had not been officially announced.

No release date was given but rumors have it out during the holiday season of 2010.

NATIONAL TREASURE 3: THEY SAVED NIXON'S BRAIN
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: God Particle

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2016 7:59 pm

minstrel wrote:Higgs, schmiggs. That's what it should be called - the Higgs-Schmiggs boson.
If Peter Higgs doesn't like it, he can switch fields to wildlife biology and discover the Higgs bison. Then we'd all sleep better.

CHRIS O’DOWD JOINS GROWING CAST OF J.J. ABRAMS SCI-FI THRILLER “GOD PARTICLE”
Chris O’Dowd is the latest actor to join the cast of GOD PARTICLE. Paramount’s J.J. Abrams-produced sci-fi thriller will be directed by Julius Onah.

Ziyi Zhang Joins J.J. Abrams' Sci-Fi Thriller 'God Particle' (Exclusive)
Zhang is part of the international team of astronauts and scientists up in space.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Burn Run

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 28, 2016 6:26 am

“TRAINING DAY” DIRECTOR ANTOINE FUQUA BOARDS “BURN RUN” HEADING INTO HOLIDAY WEEKEND (EXCLUSIVE)
Training Day director Antoine Fuqua is now coming on board to produce BURN RUN, with an eye towards directing at some point. Through his Fuqua Films, he’s teaming up with producers Andrew Rona and Alex Heineman of The Picture Company. That’s a huge score for the action thriller that could see a bidding war break out over the course of the holiday weekend.

The story is being pitched as Sicario meets Bourne. When an intelligence leak dangerously exposes a covert mission in Afghanistan, a grieving CIA operative and his translator must find their way out of the desert, outgunned and hunted by elite special forces.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Sicario

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:53 am

‘Gomorra’s Stefano Sollima To Helm Benicio Del Toro & Josh Brolin In ‘Sicario’ Sequel ‘Soldado’
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate and Black Label Media are getting closer to a production start on Soldado, the second installment of the drug war thriller that began with 2015’s Sicario. I’m told that Stefano Sollima is the front-runner to direct the second installment and should have the job shortly, with talks expected to wrap up quickly. Denis Villenueve directed the first film. Sollima is the Italian director who has made a number of memorably gritty crime thrillers but is best known for directing the Italian miniseries Gomorra and the features Suburra and A.C.A.B. (All Cops Are Bastards). Soldado was scripted by Taylor Sheridan. Black Label Media and Lionsgate are co-financing.

The sequel focuses on Alejandro Gillick, the shadowy Man on Fire-like protagonist played by Benicio Del Toro, and Josh Brolin’s CIA agent Matt Graver, who in the first film established themselves as hellbent on hunting down cartel kingpins, no matter what. The script by Sheridan — who wrote the original — has been very well received. Gone is the principled FBI agent character played by Emily Blunt. The subject matter is very topical, as Gillick and Graver concern themselves with what is being smuggled across the border between Mexico and the U.S. in the tunnels used to move drugs and illegal immigrants. Those tunnels also can be used to bring terrorists into the U.S.

The sequel is being produced by Thunder Road’s Basil Iwanyk, Black Label’s Molly Smith and Thad and Trent Luckinbill, and Edward McDonnell. I’m told that the plan is to move into production by the fall and that the talent all has sparked to Sollima. Final meetings with the studio are happening shortly. Sollima is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

Black Label Media just teamed with Lionsgate for the Emma Stone-Ryan Gosling-starrer La La Land, and Black Label is backing the Danny Strong-directed Rebel in the Rye.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:40 am

TheButcher wrote:‘Gomorra’s Stefano Sollima To Helm Benicio Del Toro & Josh Brolin In ‘Sicario’ Sequel ‘Soldado’
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate and Black Label Media are getting closer to a production start on Soldado, the second installment of the drug war thriller that began with 2015’s Sicario. I’m told that Stefano Sollima is the front-runner to direct the second installment and should have the job shortly, with talks expected to wrap up quickly. Denis Villenueve directed the first film. Sollima is the Italian director who has made a number of memorably gritty crime thrillers but is best known for directing the Italian miniseries Gomorra and the features Suburra and A.C.A.B. (All Cops Are Bastards). Soldado was scripted by Taylor Sheridan. Black Label Media and Lionsgate are co-financing.

The sequel focuses on Alejandro Gillick, the shadowy Man on Fire-like protagonist played by Benicio Del Toro, and Josh Brolin’s CIA agent Matt Graver, who in the first film established themselves as hellbent on hunting down cartel kingpins, no matter what. The script by Sheridan — who wrote the original — has been very well received. Gone is the principled FBI agent character played by Emily Blunt. The subject matter is very topical, as Gillick and Graver concern themselves with what is being smuggled across the border between Mexico and the U.S. in the tunnels used to move drugs and illegal immigrants. Those tunnels also can be used to bring terrorists into the U.S.

The sequel is being produced by Thunder Road’s Basil Iwanyk, Black Label’s Molly Smith and Thad and Trent Luckinbill, and Edward McDonnell. I’m told that the plan is to move into production by the fall and that the talent all has sparked to Sollima. Final meetings with the studio are happening shortly. Sollima is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

Black Label Media just teamed with Lionsgate for the Emma Stone-Ryan Gosling-starrer La La Land, and Black Label is backing the Danny Strong-directed Rebel in the Rye.

Dumb. If memory serves me correctly, the Benico character's entire motivation was revenge on one cartel leader. He ends up getting that revenge (wife, kids, and all). That's should be the end of his story.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: The Parsifal Mosaic

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:31 pm

TheButcher wrote:Universal Sets Zhang Yimou To Helm Robert Ludlum Adaptation ‘The Parsifal Mosaic’
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:Universal, which hatched the Jason Bourne franchise from Ludlum’s signature novel series and has a second spinoff film going with Jeremy Renner and director Justin Lin, has been working for years on the adaptation of Ludlum’s 1982 novel Parsifal Mosaic. The most recent script draft is by David Self, but another draft will be done under the supervision of Zhang. In the thriller, a veteran CIA operative retires but is prompted to return after learning that the woman he fell in love with and lost is actually alive and well. Imagine’s Erica Huggins will be executive producer. Universal Co-President of Production Peter Cramer and Director of Development Jay Polidoro are shepherding for the studio. Zhang is repped by CAA and managed by Mo Zhyang and Catherine Pang.

TheButcher wrote:From Coming Soon: Next Bourne Based on The Parsifal Mosaic?

Universal, Dwayne Johnson, James Vanderbilt Plot Robert Ludlum Cinematic Universe (Exclusive)
First up is the adaptation of 'The Janson Directive,' to star Johnson.
Borys Kit wrote:Another cinematic universe is taking shape.

Universal Pictures is teaming up with screenwriter James Vanderbilt and his partners at Mythology Entertainment, Brad Fischer and William Sherak, as well as Ben Smith and Jeffrey Weiner of Captivate Entertainment to craft a series of movies based on the works of Robert Ludlum, the best-selling author behind the studio’s hit Jason Bourne spy franchise.

First up in this universe will be the adaptation of Ludlum’s The Janson Directive, which will star Dwayne Johnson.

Vanderbilt will adapt Janson Directive from a story co-authored with Academy Award-winner Akiva Goldsman. (Goldsman is no stranger to cinematic universes, as he is overseeing the formation of a Transformers cinematic universe and one based on Hasbro toy properties.)

Universal had been working with Captivate on bringing to the screen many of the spy thrillers penned by Ludlum, who died in 2001 and whose books have sold around 300 million copies. The Parsifal Mosaic, The Sigma Protocol and Covert One are among them, and the shingle had already been actively developing Janson.

The new deal seeks to give cohesion to the individual titles, bringing them under one umbrella and giving them crossover points. On top of writing Janson, Vanderbilt, who worked with Johnson when he co-wrote the actor's early action movie, 2003's The Rundown, will co-author two more stories/treatments based on the Ludlum books, which have not been named, giving shape to the action universe. The treatments will then be adapted into screenplays by scribes yet to be hired.

It is unclear how Johnson’s character will figure into the future installments. For now, the actor is pumped and focused on bringing Janson to the screen first.

"The Janson Directive is classic Robert Ludlum," Johnson told The Hollywood Reporter. "Sharp, edgy and layered storylines. The character is complex, conflicted, bad ass and lethal — I can't wait to sink my teeth into this and bring him to life. Between Jamie, Akiva, Captivate and Universal, it's an exciting time to help produce and build out this awesome Ludlum universe."

Janson centers on Paul Janson, a former operative who is now the best private security consultant in the world. The action begins when he is framed for the murder of a prominent Nobel laureate and must join forces with the protege sent to kill him in order to survive.

Producing Janson will be Captivate's Smith and Weiner, along with Vanderbilt, Fischer and Sherak. Goldsman also is producing, as is Hiram Garcia of Seven Bucks Productions.

Johnson and Dany Garcia are executive producing via Seven Bucks with Tracey Nyberg of Mythology.

“I’ve been obsessed with Robert Ludlum ever since I was a kid, and the opportunity to play in this sandbox and create an interconnected universe based on the works of one of the best espionage writers of all time is a dream come true,” said Vanderbilt.

Said Smith: “James has a deep understanding of the unique themes that run through Robert Ludlum’s novels, many of which are more relevant to today’s world than when they were published. [Universal's] Donna Langley, Jimmy Horowitz, Peter Cramer and we at Captivate have discussed building a connective world with Ludlum’s works and found an ideal creative partner in James to craft this visceral, grounded, cinematic universe. Dwayne Johnson is the perfect actor to bring Paul Janson to the screen, and we are thrilled to have him as a cornerstone of this exciting franchise."

"This is a powerful project that has brought together an amazing group of individuals committed to bringing the absolute best to Robert Ludlum's work," added Dany Garcia.

The new deal gives Universal a second cinematic universe with which to work on filling its slate for several years to come. Cinematic universes have become the de rigueur franchise connector that is seen as the savior to Hollywood studios’ movie slates since it lays out a blueprint for a pipeline of movies.

Universal is working on a whole line of interconnected movies based on its classic, black-and-white monsters films and is in production on The Mummy, which launches the universe. Tom Cruise is starring.

Captivate produced the upcoming Jason Bourne, which is set to open July 29, with both Matt Damon returning in the titular role and Paul Greengrass returning to direct the Universal movie.

Vanderbilt most recently wrote and directed Truth, starring Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford, which Mythology produced. The company has the rights to horror property Slender Man and is in the process of setting up a feature adaptation at Screen Gems.

Goldsman is a producer and co-writer of The Dark Tower, Sony’s adaptation of the Stephen King book series currently in production.

Johnson just wrapped shooting Baywatch with Zac Efron for Paramount and will star in Sony’s new take on Jumanji.

Johnson, Vanderbilt, Goldsman and the Ludlum estate are repped by WME, as are Captivate, Seven Bucks and Mythology. Goldman is additionally repped by attorney Barry Littman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Lowriders

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:37 pm

‘Lowriders’ Gives Highflying Opening-Night Start To A Very Diverse LA Film Festival

TheButcher wrote:Gang Past Rears Up For Sundance 'Little Birds' Director Elgin James, Who'll Spend Year In Jail
MIKE FLEMING wrote:James’ Sundance film, about two 15-year-old girls from Salton Sea who dangerously follow three boys to the Los Angeles streets, hasn’t been acquired but is expected to find a distributor. That film got him representation at WME and his first major studio job writing Low Riders, an 8 Mile-style drama about a parolee who tries to put his past behind him as he immerses in the low rider car sub-culture. James is scripting the film for Ricardo de Montreuil to direct for Universal Pictures and Imagine. James will hang onto that job, and write while incarcerated.

Cheo Hodari Coker will pen 'Lowriders' -Imagine's Brian Grazer producing pic
Borys Kit wrote:
Cheo Hodari Coker has been given the keys to write "Lowriders," a drama set in the world of low-riding cars for Universal and Imagine. Imagine's Brian Grazer is producing.

The project is based on an idea by Grazer, who is known for exploring concepts, personalities and settings, even devoting a specialist to handle these intellectual and artistic endeavors. He was intrigued by the low-riding culture, which sees mainly teens driving cars that can adjust or have adjusted their suspension system. The culture finds its home in California and the Southwest, primarily among the Latino and black cultures.

Imagine and Universal execs went on a manhunt for a scribe who could not only write authentically about the scene but also craft a solid story. Coker, who is coming off of the Notorious B.I.G. biopic "Notorious," fit the bill.

He will now tackle the project in an office at Imagine's Beverly Hills headquarters. Imagine frequently lets writers use space for scribes working on their projects.

Mister Cartoon, a Los Angeles-based tattoo and graffiti artist involved in the culture and whose real name is Mark Machado, is exec producing with Estevan Oriol.

Coker, repped by CAA and Caliber Media, was a longtime journalist who wrote for Premiere, Vibe, Rolling Stone and Spin before transitioning to screenwriting. "Notorious," which Coker shares credit with Reggie Rock Bythewood, is based on the book Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G. by Vibe Magazine and Cheo Hodari Coker.
[/quote]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:55 am

“HAPPY ENDINGS” SCRIBES TEAM WITH LORNE MICHAELS FOR HORROR COMEDY “GHOST BROS” (EXCLUSIVE)
Flowing in the same beer bong as Neighbors, the ’80s-set comedy centers on frat brothers that die in a fraternity house and end up staying around to haunt the house’s present-day residents.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mandrake the Magician

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:37 pm

SACHA BARON COHEN WILL WIELD THE WAND OF “MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN” WITH ETAN COHEN SET TO DIRECT (EXCLUSIVE)
Warner Bros. will produce the film based on the long-running syndicated comic.
Josh Lyons wrote:And now for his next trick, Sacha Baron Cohen will star in MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN for Warner Bros. Get Hard writer-director Etan Cohen is set to direct the film, which is based on the popular character from the syndicated newspaper comic strip created by Lee Falk in 1934. The most recent drafts of the script come from David Peoples and Janet Peoples and Puss In Boots scribe Tom Wheeler.

The story centers around the adventures of Mandrake, the illusionist and escape artist with the power to hypnotize his foes. With his companion Lothar, he travels the globe solving mysteries and fighting evildoers – including his twin brother who uses his powers for evil instead than good. Sources say that the plan is to update the character for the 21st century, with Mandrake being recruited by the United States government for a secret mission.

Charles Roven and Andy Horowtiz will produce through Atlas Entertainment. Alan Glazer and Rocky Shepard will executive produce, with Cate Adams and Jesse Ehrman will oversee for the studio.

The film marks the first adaptation of the character since the 1954 TV movie starring Coe Norton, and the first feature adaptation since Columbia Pictures’ Mandrake, The Magician in 1939, starring Warren Hull.

The character, who has been described as “America’s first superhero,” is known as a magician whose work is based on an unusually fast hypnotic technique, through which his subjects see illusions when he “gestures hypnotically.” He uses the technique to defeat villains, including gangsters, mad scientists, extraterrestrials, and characters from other dimensions. He has the ability to turn invisible, shapeshift, levitate, and teleport thanks to the powers imbued to him by the hat, cloak, and wand he inherited from his father.

The project has been in development for years, undergoing multiple variations at the hands of several writers and producers. Previously, Disney and the Jacobson Company were developing the project, where a number of writers, including Peter Magill, David Levien, and Brian Koppelman all turned in drafts. Hyde Park and Baldwin Entertainment were developing the story with writers Tom Donnelly, Joshua Oppenheimer, and Ian Mackenzie Jeffers, with Josh Richmond writing the original adaptation based on Falk’s comic strip. Directors Chuck Russell and Mimi Leder were previously attached, while Jonathan Rhys Meyers was once attached to star. Now, with Baron Cohen attached to the lead and Etan Cohen on board to direct, it looks like the project has momentum once again.

Director Etan Cohen, whose past writing credits include Idiocracy, Tropic Thunder, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, and Men in Black 3, recently landed the directing gig for the Warner Bros. remake of Cannonball Run. In addition to his upcoming directing duties, Cohen is in development with Sony’s Candy Land adaptation and Paramount’s adaptation of the classic television show Battle of the Network Stars.

Baron Cohen is the creator of comic characters Ali G, Borat and Brüno, whose most recent effort was the action comedy The Brothers Grimsby. He also appears as Time in Disney’s Alice Through The Looking Glass. Through his Four by Two Films banner, Baron Cohen has multiple projects in the works, including the Amazon series Highston and Danny McBride’s remake of the Danish film Clown.

TheButcher wrote:
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

I did hear about that but I'm not super familiar with Mandrake the magician (until I got all wikipedia on the topic).

Of course anything with Johnathan Rhys-Meyers usually gets me interested in the project so I hope this will be good.

Warner Bros. Plots 'Mandrake the Magician' Movie (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Created by Lee Falk in 1934, the 'Mandrake' comic strip centered on an illusionist who had the power to hypnotize his foes at great speed.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:36 pm

‘Sicario 3’ Already in the Works; Sequels Will Be Standalone Films
Director Stefano Sollima explains what’s in store for the unlikely franchise.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ‘Hell Bent’

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:04 am

Director Corin Hardy Lands Paramount’s “Dirty Dozen Goes To Hell” Actioner ‘Hell Bent’
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
The Hallow director Corin Hardy has made a deal to direct Hell Bent, the Mike Finch-scripted action film that is a priority project for Paramount Pictures and is easiest described as ‘Dirty Dozen Goes To Hell.’ Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian are producing a film that will begin casting shortly as the script gets a polish. At the same time, there might be a thaw regarding Hardy’s exit from the The Crow remake that precipitated a legal joust between producer Ed Pressman and Relativity. It is possible that Hardy might re-emerge on that film after all, but there are obstacles still to be overcome and it is possible another studio could come into the mix as an active partner.

In Hell Bent, a group of mercenaries imprisoned in a Brazilian jail are murdered and led into the depths of hell by a priest who wishes to use their skills to kill Satan before he brings hell to Earth. This project has been on my radar for some time because of its smart construct that is a throwback to how studios once built franchises. The film is designed to cost $60 million or under, a reasonable sum for a possible franchise launch. It’s not dependent on big stars, but on an ensemble of “next” hot guys. That is the way that franchises used to be launched, when films like The Terminator, Austin Powers and many others that only did okay in their theatrical releases, but connected with audiences on video/DVD and created awareness that emboldened studios to throw real money at the sequels. That’s not often done these days, as studios throw all the money at what they hope will become franchises. What helps a package like this is a cutting edge director who can make a stylistic imprint and many think the UK-based helmer fits that bill.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:48 am

TheButcher wrote:Director Corin Hardy Lands Paramount’s “Dirty Dozen Goes To Hell” Actioner ‘Hell Bent’
The Hallow director Corin Hardy has made a deal to direct Hell Bent, the Mike Finch-scripted action film that is a priority project for Paramount Pictures and is easiest described as ‘Dirty Dozen Goes To Hell.’ Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian are producing a film that will begin casting shortly as the script gets a polish. At the same time, there might be a thaw regarding Hardy’s exit from the The Crow remake that precipitated a legal joust between producer Ed Pressman and Relativity. It is possible that Hardy might re-emerge on that film after all, but there are obstacles still to be overcome and it is possible another studio could come into the mix as an active partner.

In Hell Bent, a group of mercenaries imprisoned in a Brazilian jail are murdered and led into the depths of hell by a priest who wishes to use their skills to kill Satan before he brings hell to Earth. This project has been on my radar for some time because of its smart construct that is a throwback to how studios once built franchises. The film is designed to cost $60 million or under, a reasonable sum for a possible franchise launch. It’s not dependent on big stars, but on an ensemble of “next” hot guys. That is the way that franchises used to be launched, when films like The Terminator, Austin Powers and many others that only did okay in their theatrical releases, but connected with audiences on video/DVD and created awareness that emboldened studios to throw real money at the sequels. That’s not often done these days, as studios throw all the money at what they hope will become franchises. What helps a package like this is a cutting edge director who can make a stylistic imprint and many think the UK-based helmer fits that bill.

Franchise? So after the dead-mercenaries defeat Satan in Hell, the next movie they go on a wacky vacation?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:04 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Director Corin Hardy Lands Paramount’s “Dirty Dozen Goes To Hell” Actioner ‘Hell Bent’

Franchise? So after the dead-mercenaries defeat Satan in Hell, the next movie they go on a wacky vacation?

HELL BENT 2: MISSION TO MOSCOW.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:03 pm

HELL BENT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
HELL BENT 2: WE'RE BENDING SOMETHING, AND IT'S HELL!
HELL BENT 2: HELL BENTY-ER
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:24 pm

H2LL B2NT
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:06 pm

2 HELL 2 BENT
HELL BENT 2: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:02 am

/film February 22nd, 2008:
Dan Aykroyd wrote:"I wrote a script called Hell Bent, Ghostbusters go to hell basically. The premise is that it's Manhellton. There's Manhattan and ManHELLton. And if you can build an inter-dimensional phase system so that you can go from one dimension to another. We've succeeded doing that and we go to the hell side.

Downtown, Folley Square - where the cops are, they're all blue minotaurs. Central Park is this huge deep mine, green demons there, surrounded by black onyx thousand foot high apartment buildings with classic red devils. Very wealthy. And we go visit a Donald Trump like character - Mr. Siffler. Lou Siffler, Lucifer. So I will say we meet the devil in it. It won't happen as a live action because Billy [Murray] won't come on to the live action but he will voice his part, as a CGI animated project. With CGI, and animation, the way these cartoons are done, we can do everything I wrote in that script for a lot less money.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:10 pm

y'know... maybe an all-female ghostbusters with no relation to the original films isn't such a bad idea after all.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: The Umbrella Academy

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 pm

"THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY" IS "TOO CHALLENGING" FOR FILM, SCREENWRITER SAYS
Considering the popularity of Dark Horse's "Umbrella Academy" and "Elfquest," it's somewhat surprising neither property has made it to the big screen. It's not for a lack of trying, though -- writer-director Rawson Marshal Thurber has been attempting to get both series made into movies for years. But in a recent conversation with Spinoff Online about his latest film, "Central Intelligence," the scribe discussed his "Umbrella Academy" and "Elfquest" scripts, saying he believes that both projects will likely never be made.

Reflecting on his "Umbrella Academy" script, and declaring his love of the property, Thurber told Spinoff, "'The Umbrella Academy' is far and away the best script I’ve ever written, and my personal favorite book, graphic novel. I just thought what Gerard Way did and Gabriel Bá was nothing short of art, and I wrote my guts out trying to write a script that was worthy of what they did.

"I think ultimately, on the feature side, I don’t think there’s much hope for that movie to get made," he continued. "It was just I think too challenging – which seems sort of strange to say in a world in which every third movie is a superhero movie. But just, I think this one might have been a bridge too far, and the thing that makes 'Umbrella Academy' so special and so unique, in order to spend that kind of money to make a movie, most financiers would want to round off the edges and change the thing that makes it so special, to kind of make it fit into a different box.

While "Umbrella Academy" won't be headed to the big screen anytime soon, don't count out the television adaptation that's reportedly in the works with Universal Television. Thurber teased, "I don’t know if there’s much hope on the feature side for that project, but there might be hope on the television side, dot dot dot."

Thurber then addressed his planned "Elfquest" film, expressing a similar affinity for the project -- which will ultimately also not see the light of day. "'Elfquest' was my first love. I worked hard for Warner Bros. on that script, and ultimately it did not make the final rose ceremony. So I don’t imagine that will coming to the screen anytime soon. Although, if someone is smart enough and courageous enough to bankroll that property, they will be very well-rewarded because I think it’s incredible. It deserves to be shared wider."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Spectral

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:19 am

Supernatural Action Project 'Spectral' Lands at Legendary Pictures (Exclusive)
The project from writer Ian Fried is described as a darker and more serious take on a "Ghostbusters"-like story.
Borys Kit wrote:Legendary Pictures is going ghost-busting, picking up the supernatural action project Spectral from writer Ian Fried.

The premise of the project is centered on a modern-day, militaristic and gritty approach to fighting the supernatural. Sources say the pitch, which sold for six figures, has been described as a darker and more serious take on a Ghostbusters-like story, with a plot that revolves around a special ops group formed to bring down evil ghosts that have taken over Manhattan. Locations and details might change over the course of the writing, however.

Legendary, Universal Pull 'Spectral' From August Release Calendar
The movie is described as a supernatural 'Black Hawk Down.'
Pamela McClintock wrote:Legendary Pictures and Universal have pulled Spectral from the August release calendar.

The movie, described as a supernatural Black Hawk Down, had been set to open Aug. 12. No new date has been announced.

Spectral has been completed for more than a year. The sci-fi thriller was one of the projects already underway at Legendary when the financing and production company left Warner Bros. and struck a new deal with Universal that commenced in 2014. Universal is only a distributor on the film.

Both the studio and Legendary declined comment beyond confirming Spectral won't hit theaters in August. Insiders say the decision was made at least a month ago, although the film is still listed as having an Aug. 12 release date on comScore, the industry clearinghouse. However, BoxOfficeMojo.com shows the change being recorded on Monday.

Directed by commercials helmer Nic Mathieu, Spectral stars James Badge Dale, Max Martini, Emily Mortimer and Bruce Greenwood and revolves around a special ops team who battle supernatural entities taking over a European city.

News about Spectral comes only days after Universal and Legendary released Warcraft, the big-budget video game adaptation that boasted a record opening in China but bombed in North America. Warcraft will likely need to earn at least $450 million globally to break even for Legendary and parent company Dalian Wanda, the Chinese conglomerate and world's largest theater-chain owner, along with Universal and a raft of Chinese investors.

All eyes will be on how well Warcraft holds, or doesn't, in its second weekend of play in China, where Wanda — which is considering an IPO — and Legendary are handling the movie's release directly. Universal has distribution duties in the rest of the world.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Get Schwifty - The Movie! Arrival

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:44 am

The halting genius of science-fiction writer Ted Chiang
Ted Chiang’s science fiction wins piles of awards. When he publishes, which is hardly ever.
TAYLOR CLARK wrote:More remarkable still, Chiang has been able to pull this off not by leaning on sci-fi staples like talking spaceships and interstellar war, but by crafting carefully considered, deeply researched parables that use scientific concepts to illuminate the human condition. One story, “The Merchant and the Alchemist’s Gate,” employs the Novikov self-consistency principle — which holds that a time traveler could never change the events of the past or future — to explore how we deal with regret; another, “Exhalation,” is an inventive meditation on death that Chiang describes as “a story about entropy.” They’re entertaining, imaginative tales that leave you feeling smarter by the time you reach the last line.

Amy Adams' 'Story of Your Life' Gets New Title, Release Date
Mia Galuppo wrote:The upcoming sci-fi drama Story of Your Life, which is set to star Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner, has gotten a new name and release date via Paramount.

The pic, now titled Arrival, has been slated for an awards-season release date of Nov. 11. On this date, the Denis Villeneuve-directed feature will be going up against Jeff Nichols' Cannes standout Loving and the Naomi Watts-starring psychological thriller Shut In.

Arrival is based on a short story by Hugo Award-winning author Ted Chiang and is being adapted for the big screen by Final Destination 5 scribe Eric Heisserer.

In the film, Adams stars as a linguist who is recruited by the military to determine whether alien crafts that have landed around the world come in peace or are a threat.

Denis Villeneuve’s Alien Invasion Thriller THE ARRIVAL Lands In November
The director of SICARIO and ENEMY takes on extraterrestrials. Yes, please.
"I feel like a bag of smashed assholes."
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Get Schwifty - The Movie!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:40 am

Try to Remember by Frank Herbert
Ricky L. Brown wrote:It’s been almost a year (January 26, 2013) since I first mentioned the “tattered 1969 Belmont edition paperback copy of The Best of Amazing.” Since then, we’ve steadily looked at all of the works included in the collection selected by Joseph Ross. Well, all except for one. Try to Remember by Frank Herbert (you might have heard of him) is a fitting conclusion to this anthology and a fitting story to represent what is best about Amazing Stories. First published in the October 1961 issue, the novella is one of those stories that makes the reader think.

We’ve all read stories about the weaknesses and eventual downfall of mankind. I get it. The diversity of cultures around our little globe is part of what makes us human. Yet, this cultural multiplicity is also one of our most definitive shortcomings. Try to Remember is an example of civilization’s inability to overcome insecurities and lack of trust in our fellow man in an effort to save the world.

An alien spaceship ship full of froglike creatures suddenly drops out of the sky and gives the citizens of earth an ultimatum.

“You are required to assemble your most gifted experts in human communication. We are about to submit a problem. We will open five identical rooms of our vessel to you. One of us will be available in each room.

“Your problem: To communicate with us.

“If you succeed, your rewards will be great.

“If you fail, that will result in destruction for all sentient life on your planet.

This story kinda reminds me of the 1940 classic Farewell to the Master by Harry Bates (this story made the big screen under the name The Day the Earth Stood Still). The major difference is the character focus. Unlike Farewell, this does not center on the alien beings. Try to Remember is an examination of the human condition and does not provide much information about the visitors. When given an ultimatum, the cultural differences around the world bring about a vast array of interpretations and expectations. And herein lies our problem. How do we communicate with an alien race when we cannot even communicate with our neighbors?

“You must break away from this limited communications!” This is the demand from the aliens.

Upon first reading, I first questioned the fact that the ultimatum did not come with a deadline. This made me think that perhaps the aliens were merely pointing out our flaws and suggested that mankind would eventually fail if we did not learn to communicate. But as the story progressed, I began to feel the same desperation and hopelessness as many of the characters. Technical advances mean nothing if we cannot control our own moral fiber. The threat was real and the desperation inevitably turned to fear and violence.

Try to Remember is more speculative fiction than science fiction. This story also represents one of the more accurate examples of the division within the genre. The alien involvement and technological advancements may draw this story into the SF field, but the crux of the story is still the social indifferences of characters in a multicultural environment.

Granted, Frank Herbert is best known for his Dune saga. But readers of Try to Remember will ironically long remember this story as well. As the final installment from The Best of Amazing anthology, it has many meanings when it comes to representing the classic magazine. As a social tool, Amazing Stories is a bridge to multiple cultures and enables fandom to spread globally. As a literary tool, remembering the classics is how fandom builds momentum. And if we are to expand to future generations of fans, we have to Try to Remember where we came from independently and where we hope to go collectively.

In a way, it is sad to bring this series of reviews to a close. But as long as we have books like The Best of Amazing on our shelf, we will always be able to go back and revisit some of the classics that represent what Amazing Stories is all about. When Hugo Gernsback coined “scientifiction” as “a charming romance intermingled with science fact and prophetic vision,” he gave fandom the tools to discover an infinite number of works, many of which would be worthy of a “Best of” consideration.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Paddington 3

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:25 am

StudioCanal Purchases ‘Paddington’ Brand; Third Film Already Being Planned

TheButcher wrote:

NICE MOVE, DAVID HEYMAN
Writer/director Paul King returns to charm again with 'Paddington' sequel
Drew McWeeny wrote:It's a big day for successful comedies signing the same filmmakers for follow-ups with Universal locking Elizabeth Banks down for "Pitch Perfect 3" as well. It's not an automatic thing, though, and in this case, it sounds like David Heyman and StudioCanal had to work hard to make it happen. While "Paddington" wasn't a mega-blockbuster, it did well enough around the world to make a sequel attractive, and with King onboard now, I have every reason to believe that it's going to be just as charming and expertly made as the original.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News