Random Movie News

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:09 pm

ironically, despite this year boasting a pretty solid crop of entertaining movies the numbers at theatres are down badly, AMC is taking a real hit, for example. disheartening :? :(
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: 'The Current War: Thomas Edison and Topsy the Elephant'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 pm

TheButcher wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:{TB EXCLUSIVE} BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH SET TO PLAY THOMAS EDISON FOR WEINSTEIN COMPANY’S “THE CURRENT WAR”
The spec, which sold to The Weinstein Co. in 2012, follows the intense rivalry between inventors Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse as they battled to be the first to commercially implement a practical system of electricity.



Its good to see Cumberbatch branch out into action-comedy.


THR:
Rooney Mara's 'Mary Magdalene', Benedict Cumberbatch Thomas Edison Biopic 'The Current War' Get Release Dates

The Dark Story of Thomas Edison and Topsy the Elephant

Topsy: New book tells how Thomas Edison electrocuted an innocent elephant at Coney Island

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17417
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: ‘Men in Black 2019’

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:31 am

Deadline September 29, 2017:
Sony Sets ‘Men In Black’ Spinoff For Summer, 2019; Script by ‘Iron Man’ Team Holloway & Marcum
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: The Men in Black are back. Sony Pictures has fast tracked a spinoff of its billion-dollar alien franchise. The studio today will stake out a May 17, 2019, release date for an untitled film that has a script by Matt Holloway & Art Marcum, the writers of Iron Man and Transformers: The Last Knight.

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones aren’t expected to reprise, but the film acknowledges and builds on the world they inhabited. Holloway & Marcum have scripted a contemporary sci-fi pic about the black-clad secret force that protects earth from the alien scum of the universe, focusing on new characters chasing villains that put the picture on more of a global scale than the two previous films. The ambition is akin to the way that Jurassic World rebooted and expanded that franchise. The MiB spinoff film is being produced by Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald and executive produced by Steven Spielberg. They are actively involved in meeting with top directors right now and expect to land one quickly.

The project is a surprise, because it was expected that the next Men in Black movie would be a mashup with another Sony Pictures hit franchise, 21 Jump Street, with Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill’s characters donning the black suits. That idea remains in development, but the spinoff is moving quickly and will come first. Sony, which separately is rebooting its Charlie’s Angels reboot with Elizabeth Banks directing and Kristen Stewart and Lupita Nyong’o in talks.

The studio also is moving on multiple fronts with its Spider-Man universe, working simultaneously on a Phil Lord & Christopher Miller-scripted animated film for Christmas 2018, as well as the Ruben Fleischer-directed Tom Hardy-Michelle Williams starrer Venom to be released October 5, 2018, and Silver & Black, with Gina Prince-Bythewood directing the two female superheroes in the Spidey universe for February 8, 2019. There is also the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming, with Jon Watts directing Tom Holland and the Zendaya-led ensemble. That will be released July 5, 2019.

Parkes confirmed the Men in Black spinoff. “It’s so rare to get to the end of the script and know you’re holding a movie in your hands, but Art and Matt have written a spinoff that somehow is true to the core of the MiB world and yet expands the franchise to a fresh new place,” he said.

David Beaubaire is overseeing for Sony.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17417
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Deadline November 17, 2017:
Millennium Pacts In Exclusive Deal With ‘Curious George’ Rey Estate For Origin Story
Anita Busch wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Millennium Media has signed an exclusive deal with the H.A. and Margaret Rey Estate, authors of the beloved children’s books, Curious George as well as the estate of Lay Lee Ong, estate literary executor. This is quite a departure for Millennium, and signals the kind of material it will start to produce with its new co-presidents Jonathan Yunger and Jeffrey Greenstein at the helm.

They will start developing an untitled project that will tell the incredible origin story that saved the character Curious George, the true story of H.A. and Margaret Rey. This comes after Millennium Media’s Jonathan Yunger and Jeffrey Greenstein had been chasing the project for nearly two years.

“We are incredibly fortunate to have the Rey estate’s complete confidence and consent, and the approval of Lay Lee, to tell this story. We are also grateful to our friend and writer, Sam Cohan, for bringing us the project,” Yunger said.

It was Cohan who introduced them to Ema Ryan Yamazaki, director of Monkey Business: The Adventures of Curious George’s Creators, a documentary exploring the extraordinary lives of H.A. and Margret Rey. A deal was then signed with Yamazaki to engage her and her documentary for the adaptation of feature by Cohan.

The Orchard acquired distribution rights to the Yamazaki documentary last year. Meanwhile, a live-action musical based on the character Curious George is works at Universal with Andrew Adamson attached to direct and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, and Erica Huggins producing alongside David Kirschner and Jon Shapiro. That one is not an origin story.

“The epitome of mixing passion with business is being blessed to tell this tremendous story of the great lengths H.A. and Margaret Rey went through to save their manuscript, while fleeing Nazi occupied Europe for their lives. Curious George went on to inspire and charm millions worldwide, and soon, so shall the Reys’ unbelievable true story,” said Greenstein.

This project comes only a couple off weeks after Greenstein and Yunger were upped to co-presidents at Millennium Media. Producing will be Yunger, Greenstein, Yamasaki and Cohan. Executive producers are Avi Lerner, Trever Short, Boaz Davidson and John Thompson.

While H.A. and Margaret Rey passed away in 1977 and 1996, respectively, the character of Curious George is beloved with children around the world and has been for about 75 years.

There is even a Curious George Foundation which was established in 1989 to fund programs for children and for programs that benefit animals, not only through preservation but also to prevent cruelty to animals. The foundation supports community outreach programs that emphasize the importance of family, from counseling to peer support groups. So, a portion of the film’s proceeds will be donated to that foundation.

Cohan’s other credits include Fishing Without Nets which was co-written with director Cutter Hodierne, and went onto to win the directing prize at the Sundance Film Festival. He also penned The Closest Thing to Rain.

He is reped by Jeff Hynick at Jackoway, Tyerman, Wertheimer, Austen, Mandelbaum, Morris & Klein.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17417
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23 pm

looking over the movies release schedule this year, and thinking how the genre audience has become spoiled. Black Panther. Solo. Avengers Infinity War. Deadpool II. Jurassic World. A Wrinkle In Time. Ready Player One. Ant Man and the Wasp. The Predator. Venom. Mowgli. X-Men Dark Phoenix. Fantastic Beasts II. Spider-Man II. Aquaman. and those are just some. I am going to have some fun at the theatre this year. growing up in the 70's and 80's big budget quality genre movies were almost unheard of. that is part of why Star Wars and Raiders and E.T. stood out so much, people weren't used to getting stories told with fantastical premises in big movies. sometimes I think that I am able to get more thrill from seeing a quality genre movie than a 20 yr old who has grown up with so many choices available
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:42 am

hey Kirks, this should brighten your day........

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79440

:D
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am

:(

Maybe, if Ellen didn't leave me for the entire female population. I've been taking estrogen pills and wearing slutty woman's clothes (make that EVERYTHING they wear, as all women are sluts, fuck you MeToo, get on your knees and suck my strap on) and bench pressing like a MoThorfucker trying to get into shape for a superhero movie just to get boobs so I can be a woman for her.

All that happens though is I get hit on by all the supersexy sluts at my local nightclub who I failed to pull as a man. I don't want you girls anymore! I want ELLEN!!! (Even though some said she is a bit boyish)
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16622
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm

keep your chin up, maybe she'll pull an Anne Heche :wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:01 pm

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/isle_of_dogs_2018/

Wes Anderson is about as money as it gets, he has never made a bad movie as far as I am concerned, and most of his work is exceptional. one of the best directors of his generation with an accomplished filmography already and still many many years of work ahead of him.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm

pathetic. we're less than 48 hours away from the opening of maybe the biggest genre movie ever and this place is a fucking graveyard. crickets. no mods to be seen anywhere. no so-called "comic geeks". no supposed Marvel fans. nothing.

the new "Glass" trailer screened, the follow up to "Unbreakable" and "Split".

crickets.

Tarantino appeared with Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio to announce his next movie, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".

silence.

weak. sauce. :( :-P
Last edited by Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:25 am

Sounds like a return to the PULP FICTION/JACKIE BROWN era.

I'm now more interested.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9925
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 am

Peven wrote:pathetic. we're less than 48 hours away from the opening of maybe the biggest genre movie ever and this place is a fucking graveyard. crickets. no mods to be seen anywhere. no so-called "comic geeks". no supposed Marvel fans. nothing.

the new "Glass" trailer screened, the follow up to "Unbreakable" and "Split".

crickets.

Tarantino appeared with Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio to announce his next movie, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".

silence.

weak. sauce. :( :-P


Well post some shit then dammit!

This is why you and fucking Kirks scaring away The Butcher pisses me off...he would have posted a link to the Glass trailer (didn't know this was out). He would have posted a link to the Tarantino/Pitt/Leo news (didn't know about that either).

Both of which I surely would have commented on. I don't scour the web every day for movie/geek news, I don't have time for that. That's why I loved The Butcher, he did that dirty work.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:05 pm

this is a forum, not a news site! the reason why this place was created was to have a place for people to discuss and debate shit. "no hate, just debate". there was a never a motto about "get your breaking movie news here first!" that is what the main site is for. It takes me about 10 seconds to scan the main page for new headlines and I get yahoo movie updates automatically because I have "liked" their content . i don't have time to scour the internet, either. it really is very easy to stay up on current and breaking movie news without trying hard or spending much time. it IS difficult to for me to find people to talk about movie news with, however, as much of the general public, i.e. coworkers, neighbors, etc. don't have the same level of awareness or interest in movies and have little to no desire to spend time breaking down Tarantino's work, or theorizing about what M. Night will do with Glass or any other number of in depth movie geek type conversions that I come HERE for. I don't come here for a fucking link to that takes me somewhere else to read an article about movies, I come here to have a conversation about a movie-related article or movie news I have already read with other people who are into movies, too, even if they have wildly different takes on them from me, it is better than getting blank stares or quizzical looks from people I work with when bring up how excited I am to see the next genre movie hitting theatres or wanting to break down what Tarantino was saying with The Hateful Eight.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 pm

that's nice. but so sorry's point stands. i don't go looking for movie news either, unless it happens to cross my path. not that i'm convinced thebutcher stopped posting specifically because of people like kirks or peven attacking him, but still, this site has maybe a dozen or so posters still active, and if even just 2 or 3 of those people are learning about these films or other stories from his posts, then driving him away is just shooting yourself in the foot. it may not be your preferred way of generating conversation about those films, but it's one way, and therefore one less way if he stops posting. personally, i'm not a fan of trying to shame people into posting about stuff by bemoaning how terrible this board is and how much better it used to be, which is just as old and tired as anything thebutcher ever posted, but hey, whatever you want. it's probably less successful than just posting links to stories, since those kinds of complaining posts make me NOT want to post anything about the movies themselves.

i'm not a "comic geek" anyway, i'm still at least 2 marvel films (that i know of) behind wherever they're at now and i haven't seen justice league either, so i could hardly contribute to anything about the next ones coming out.
i could care less that the Glass trailer screened somewhere, unless it's actually somewhere i can see it for myself (one of those Butcher links might come in handy for that). i'd rather see the trailer and form my own opinion than read the opinions of a bunch of other people, especially when it's just a trailer, which are often not even representative of the quality of the films themselves.
Tarantino announcing the name of his next movie doesn't seem like fertile ground for a very interesting discussion either, unless there's a plot synopsis or some other info about the film to go along with it.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:52 pm

so, you don't really appreciate movies, you're not really a movie guy, not really into genre movies. makes sense that you would choose to post on a forum that was created as a space for people to share ideas and viewpoints on all things movies first and foremost, and leaning toward a genre movie sensibility. :roll:

Butcher was a bot, for all intents and purposes, a non-responsive bot. the fact that he no longer posts here is NO skin off my teeth. i have no idea, no feel for who he was, what he thought about movies, or anything else, because he was a total non-presence here as a human. you can't talk about the latest movie coming out with a fucking link. "so, link, what did you think about that news? wow, pretty heavy stuff, eh?" if he had actually participated in discussions and/or added his take on links when he put them up at least THEN it would make a difference if he still posted here or not.

you like to use this place to drop sophemoric one-liners and whine about how bad The Walking Dead is, even though you continue to help keep it alive by watching it. you're not really invested in the reason why the zone was created at it's inception and the spirit that made this place so engaging the first few years. you used to have an avatar with "her tit is out, let the snake hit it". classy.
a real cinemaphile. so i am not surprised at all that you don't understand why someone would bemoan the demise of the cinematicentric identity of this place.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Peven wrote:so, you don't really appreciate movies, you're not really a movie guy, not really into genre movies. makes sense that you would choose to post on a forum that was created as a space for people to share ideas and viewpoints on all things movies first and foremost, and leaning toward a genre movie sensibility. :roll:

Butcher was a bot, for all intents and purposes, a non-responsive bot. the fact that he no longer posts here is NO skin off my teeth. i have no idea, no feel for who he was, what he thought about movies, or anything else, because he was a total non-presence here as a human. you can't talk about the latest movie coming out with a fucking link. "so, link, what did you think about that news? wow, pretty heavy stuff, eh?" if he had actually participated in discussions and/or added his take on links when he put them up at least THEN it would make a difference if he still posted here or not.

you like to use this place to drop sophemoric one-liners and whine about how bad The Walking Dead is, even though you continue to help keep it alive by watching it. you're not really invested in the reason why the zone was created at it's inception and the spirit that made this place so engaging the first few years. you used to have an avatar with "her tit is out, let the snake hit it". classy.
a real cinemaphile. so i am not surprised at all that you don't understand why someone would bemoan the demise of the cinematicentric identity of this place.


You crack me up sometimes!
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:24 pm

I think you made me chuckle once back in '08 :wink: :-P
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Peven wrote:so, you don't really appreciate movies, you're not really a movie guy, not really into genre movies. makes sense that you would choose to post on a forum that was created as a space for people to share ideas and viewpoints on all things movies first and foremost, and leaning toward a genre movie sensibility. :roll:

Butcher was a bot, for all intents and purposes, a non-responsive bot. the fact that he no longer posts here is NO skin off my teeth. i have no idea, no feel for who he was, what he thought about movies, or anything else, because he was a total non-presence here as a human. you can't talk about the latest movie coming out with a fucking link. "so, link, what did you think about that news? wow, pretty heavy stuff, eh?" if he had actually participated in discussions and/or added his take on links when he put them up at least THEN it would make a difference if he still posted here or not.

you like to use this place to drop sophemoric one-liners and whine about how bad The Walking Dead is, even though you continue to help keep it alive by watching it. you're not really invested in the reason why the zone was created at it's inception and the spirit that made this place so engaging the first few years. you used to have an avatar with "her tit is out, let the snake hit it". classy.
a real cinemaphile. so i am not surprised at all that you don't understand why someone would bemoan the demise of the cinematicentric identity of this place.


yeah, because genre movies are the only kind of movies there are :roll:

i don't know what that "her tits out, let the snake hit it" avatar you're talking about. i don't remember anyone here ever having an avatar that resembled that description, and i know i never did.

but hey, as long as we're talking about avatars, maybe you and everyone else here could bother to take 5 seconds to replace or at least remove those fucking photobucket links that don't work anymore. that massive "is this your photo?" image takes up more space and is way more annoying than anything thebutcher ever posted. maybe that's what drove him away... at least butcher kept his av links up to date.

the best conversations i've ever had in this forum have been for tv shows, especially during the runs for Lost and BSG. the GoT discussions could have been nearly as good if there was still as many posters left here as there used to be. the TWD discussions are always going to be shitty because the show is shitty, but you work with what you've got. i've had some decent film-based discussions here in the past too, but the participation level is so poor now, and when much of the discussion comes from a certain smug know-it-all who doesn't value anyone's opinions other than his own, it tends to remove any fun from the process and make it not worth the bother. is it really so shocking to you that no one wants to talk film with you when your default "discussion" mode is to insult and belittle anyone who's opinion differs from your own?

i have much better film conversations with my real-life friends and family, so the fact that this place doesn't really foster much of that anymore doesn't really bother me because i don't depend on this place for that. frankly, i'm surprised this place is still around. it's never going to go back to what it was, so it seems pointless to constantly moan and whine about it.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Random Movie News

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Enough of your whining. James Ransone was just cast as Eddie in IT CHAPTER TWO.

I called that shit!
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9925
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Wed May 16, 2018 9:50 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Enough of your whining. James Ransone was just cast as Eddie in IT CHAPTER TWO.

I called that shit!


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Jamie Foxx officially playing Spawn in the new reboot

I went thru a pretty heavy Spawn faze in the mid 90s (comics obviously), really didn't like the movie adaptation, but I think the animated series was good from what i can remember. Normally I'd say this is an unwanted movie property at this point, but since its being directed by McFarland himself, at least I imagine that HIS vision is the one I'd most like to see.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:08 pm

The Sandlot is getting a prequel for some fucking reason

This movie squarely falls in the nostalgically-remembered-but-actually-not-good department.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:51 pm

so sorry wrote:The Sandlot is getting a prequel for some fucking reason

This movie squarely falls in the nostalgically-remembered-but-actually-not-good department.


for once you and I agree on something
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:The Sandlot is getting a prequel for some fucking reason

This movie squarely falls in the nostalgically-remembered-but-actually-not-good department.


for once you and I agree on something



Image
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

It's been long enough since I last saw THE SANDLOT to judge its quality, but it has yummy MILF Karen Allen in it so it can't be all bad!
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9925
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Will Smith not black enough to play black role

This is fucking ridiculous. I'm sure someone here can tell me why I'm the problem somehow, but I just can't understand this one. People have too much time on their hands and too much perceived self-importance that they have to blog/report about this? Jeebus.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm

He's already in hot water for wearing blueface in Aladdin.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
User avatar
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm

so sorry wrote:Will Smith not black enough to play black role

This is fucking ridiculous. I'm sure someone here can tell me why I'm the problem somehow, but I just can't understand this one. People have too much time on their hands and too much perceived self-importance that they have to blog/report about this? Jeebus.



holy shit, man, how socially obtuse can you be? you're a caricature of typical passively bigoted middle aged men in this country. i'm not even "picking a side" here in the discussion of whether or not Will Smith is "black enough" to play the role, I don't really feel i'm qualified to weigh in to be honest, but I am aware of and have a respect for the issue itself, as should any adult in 2019.

https://abc.go.com/playlists/PL551778118/video/VDKA7553243


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_eBm8qvLAk

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/n/colorism-in-hollywood-needs-to-stop/vp-AAylH0K
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:41 am

Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:Will Smith not black enough to play black role

This is fucking ridiculous. I'm sure someone here can tell me why I'm the problem somehow, but I just can't understand this one. People have too much time on their hands and too much perceived self-importance that they have to blog/report about this? Jeebus.



holy shit, man, how socially obtuse can you be? you're a caricature of typical passively bigoted middle aged men in this country. i'm not even "picking a side" here in the discussion of whether or not Will Smith is "black enough" to play the role, I don't really feel i'm qualified to weigh in to be honest, but I am aware of and have a respect for the issue itself, as should any adult in 2019.

https://abc.go.com/playlists/PL551778118/video/VDKA7553243


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_eBm8qvLAk

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/n/colorism-in-hollywood-needs-to-stop/vp-AAylH0K



And there you go, just like expected. Colorism in real life may be a thing, but to say that an actor shouldn't even be considered for a role because of how dark he is seems ridiculous to me. This isn't a ScarJo/Ghost in the Shell kind of casting thing.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 am

on the surface (no pun intended), it may seem ridiculous to you and me. but, we are white males who do not have the same life experiences to draw from when discussing this issue. just like when women discuss sexual harrassment and assault, this is one of those issues where us white men are better off shutting up and listening, than trying to express an opinion from a limited base of knowledge and experience.

there are a lot of things that probably once seemed "ridiculous" to us heterosexual white males and other groups of people who weren't directly affected. why certain words or phrases are considered offensive, and why the offended groups may be allowed to use those terms when we are not. a woman going to a party and passing out drunk, and then complaining about being raped afterwards was once considered "ridiculous". or Dumbledore people wanting to get married, women wanting to vote, or black people not wanting to sit at the back of the bus, use different water fountains, and attending separate schools. all these things, to the white men who were around at those times, probably seemed ridiculous to them. this particular issue, one that doesn't primarily involve us directly, is probably one we should just keep quiet about. it's fine to have an opinion about it, it's even fine if that opinion is that it is ridiculous (there are plenty of black people, of various shades, who think it's ridiculous too) but it's probably about time that us white men recognize that there are some things about which our opinions don't matter and don't have value, and this is one of those things.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Random Movie News

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:31 am

TheBaxter wrote:on the surface (no pun intended), it may seem ridiculous to you and me. but, we are white males who do not have the same life experiences to draw from when discussing this issue. just like when women discuss sexual harrassment and assault, this is one of those issues where us white men are better off shutting up and listening, than trying to express an opinion from a limited base of knowledge and experience.

there are a lot of things that probably once seemed "ridiculous" to us heterosexual white males and other groups of people who weren't directly affected. why certain words or phrases are considered offensive, and why the offended groups may be allowed to use those terms when we are not. a woman going to a party and passing out drunk, and then complaining about being raped afterwards was once considered "ridiculous". or Dumbledore people wanting to get married, women wanting to vote, or black people not wanting to sit at the back of the bus, use different water fountains, and attending separate schools. all these things, to the white men who were around at those times, probably seemed ridiculous to them. this particular issue, one that doesn't primarily involve us directly, is probably one we should just keep quiet about. it's fine to have an opinion about it, it's even fine if that opinion is that it is ridiculous (there are plenty of black people, of various shades, who think it's ridiculous too) but it's probably about time that us white men recognize that there are some things about which our opinions don't matter and don't have value, and this is one of those things.



Well first off, thank you for a dignified response.

And everything you said is true. Everything you cite is true, but everything you said involves real world examples. This is about an actor portraying another person. Barring heavy makeup and prosthetics, does every portrayal of a historical figure have to result in direct matches? And it does involve me directly if the goal of the movie is to get me to go see it. Should I not have an opinion about the movie itself since I'm not black and wasn't raised the same way as these black women?

I guess I'm the one overthinking it, even though I feel like other people are the ones overthinking it.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15883
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:on the surface (no pun intended), it may seem ridiculous to you and me. but, we are white males who do not have the same life experiences to draw from when discussing this issue. just like when women discuss sexual harrassment and assault, this is one of those issues where us white men are better off shutting up and listening, than trying to express an opinion from a limited base of knowledge and experience.

there are a lot of things that probably once seemed "ridiculous" to us heterosexual white males and other groups of people who weren't directly affected. why certain words or phrases are considered offensive, and why the offended groups may be allowed to use those terms when we are not. a woman going to a party and passing out drunk, and then complaining about being raped afterwards was once considered "ridiculous". or Dumbledore people wanting to get married, women wanting to vote, or black people not wanting to sit at the back of the bus, use different water fountains, and attending separate schools. all these things, to the white men who were around at those times, probably seemed ridiculous to them. this particular issue, one that doesn't primarily involve us directly, is probably one we should just keep quiet about. it's fine to have an opinion about it, it's even fine if that opinion is that it is ridiculous (there are plenty of black people, of various shades, who think it's ridiculous too) but it's probably about time that us white men recognize that there are some things about which our opinions don't matter and don't have value, and this is one of those things.



Well first off, thank you for a dignified response.

And everything you said is true. Everything you cite is true, but everything you said involves real world examples. This is about an actor portraying another person. Barring heavy makeup and prosthetics, does every portrayal of a historical figure have to result in direct matches? And it does involve me directly if the goal of the movie is to get me to go see it. Should I not have an opinion about the movie itself since I'm not black and wasn't raised the same way as these black women?

I guess I'm the one overthinking it, even though I feel like other people are the ones overthinking it.


this is a real world example. why certain people get hired for certain jobs and other people don't is something that has a tremendous effect on people in the real world. i don't think this is about one actor being hired for one particular role, but as a single example of something that affects a lot of people, and not just in the film industry. what people see on the screen affects how they see the world around them, and if darker-skinned people are shown less often than ligher-skinned people (even if both are officially "black") then it influences what is seen as acceptable to the general public, and it can affect how difficult it is for darker-skinned people to be hired in other fields, which in fact has been shown to be the case, that darker-skinned blacks are discriminated against more often than lighter-skinned people. the reason it comes up in particular with historic roles is because those are concrete examples where the "character" being cast is explicitly a darker-skinned person, whereas for fictional roles they are generally just described as being "black", if even that.

as for however affected us white people are by this issue, it's only tangentially. whether you choose to see a film or not is a miniscule effect compared to how a person with darker skin is affected, not just by this single instance, but by the entire cumulative impact of these kinds of decisions on their life. the decision to see a movie, or enjoyment of that movie, surely we can agree is of much smaller significance than the ability to find work or otherwise not be discriminated against in one's daily life.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:25 am

:roll:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Even after a decade on these forums I can't tell if Peven is merely trolling or is genuinely an asshole.

I have no opinion on this casting, however, as I think that Nina Simone biopic from a few years back set the bar so high on this issue that few films could ever hope to clear it.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9925
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:58 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Even after a decade on these forums I can't tell if Peven is merely trolling or is genuinely an asshole.


oh, i figured that one out a long time ago.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:11 pm

I am just so hurt , some people on the internet who have no clue who I am think I am an asshole. my world is rocked :roll: you remind me of the 8th graders I work with every day with your little clique mentalities, you're to simple and juvenile to realize how simple and juvenile you are, it's not like I expect anything different by now. c'est la vie :D
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 pm

See?
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9925
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Peven wrote:I am just so hurt , some people on the internet who have no clue who I am think I am an asshole. my world is rocked :roll: you remind me of the 8th graders I work with every day with your little clique mentalities, you're to simple and juvenile to realize how simple and juvenile you are, it's not like I expect anything different by now. c'est la vie :D


Q.E.D.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Random Movie News

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:19 pm

meanwhile...

Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19392
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 am

So I've been on the fence about Taika Waititi, the quirky New Zealand-based director who makes a ton of comedies, Thor: Ragnarok most notably. Then he released this clip to promote his new film Jojo Rabbit, about a boy in WWII-era Germany who argues with an imaginary Hitler*, and he's won me over forever. Witness this masterclass in humor and meme-savvy:

https://twitter.com/jojorabbitmovie/status/1154798536044634113






*I also did not know that Taika Waititi was Jewish. He's a man who wears many hats.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 14078
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:24 pm

Ribbons wrote:So I've been on the fence about Taika Waititi, the quirky New Zealand-based director who makes a ton of comedies, Thor: Ragnarok most notably. Then he released this clip to promote his new film Jojo Rabbit, about a boy in WWII-era Germany who argues with an imaginary Hitler*, and he's won me over forever. Witness this masterclass in humor and meme-savvy:

https://twitter.com/jojorabbitmovie/status/1154798536044634113






*I also did not know that Taika Waititi was Jewish. He's a man who wears many hats.



the latest trailer looks even better
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Random Movie News

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Previous

Return to Movie News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron