QUEEN - Freddie Mercury biopic

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

QUEEN - Freddie Mercury biopic

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:33 pm

I searched around but didn't see a thread on this... if there is, very sorry.

Louise Jury of the U.K.'s The Independent reports that "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Johnny Depp is being lined up to play a rock star for real in a biopic of the late QUEEN frontman Freddie Mercury.

Robert de Niro's company, Tribeca Productions, is said to be behind the project, which Brian May, the QUEEN guitarist, confirmed was in development. "Discussions are at an early stage," he said on his web site.

May described Depp as "fantastic." "He would be a worthy counterpart for Freddie on screen. I don't think I can say any more right now," he added.

De Niro has known Brian May and QUEEN's drummer, Roger Taylor, since they met at the Venice Film Festival in 1996 and ploughed his own money into their hit stage musical, "We Will Rock You". The musical was originally going to be about the band but the surviving members decided that would be too embarrassing for all involved.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby buster00 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Awww, COME ON. I love Depp's work, but who's doing the singing voice? No WAY Johnny Depp can sing like Freddie Mercury.

You'd might as well get De Niro to play Freddie Mercury.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:50 pm

Well, I don't know about singing... but Johnny has twice recorded with the band Oasis, including playing lead slide guitar on the track "Fade In-Out" from the album, Be Here Now.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:00 pm

Didn't he sing in Cry Baby? It's been awhile since I last caught it, so I can't remember. Either way, I don't think Depp's quite right for this...too damn small. But then again, he worked as the 6ft4 Hunter S Thompson.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:02 pm

I thought that was the only time he recorded with them to be honest....

This is probably from the same rumour mill that said Robbie Williams was being lined up to play Keith Moon..... Which would be sooooo wrong it's unbelievable....
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:05 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Didn't he sing in Cry Baby?

nah. imdb says James Intveld sang for him.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:40 am

Yeah, there's no way anybody's gonna find an actor who can look and sound like Freddy Mercury. Even if Johnny Depp can sing decent, there's no way he could bring Justice to Queen with his puny vocal range. Just do it old fashioned and have it dubbed.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:19 am

It worked in Velvet Goldmine. And Thom Yorke still sounded eerily like Jonathan Rhys Meyers, I had a hard time believing it was dubbed.

Too bad Meyers already "played" Bowie, he'd probably be my pick for Mercury over Johnny Depp.

Ioan Gruffudd would work--AND he can sing.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby mushookie on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:35 am

Anyone who laughs at Freddy should get a deep paper cut.
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Location: The land where Alice Cooper's "Frankenstien" will never be fed.

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:01 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Yeah, there's no way anybody's gonna find an actor who can look and sound like Freddy Mercury. Even if Johnny Depp can sing decent, there's no way he could bring Justice to Queen with his puny vocal range. Just do it old fashioned and have it dubbed.

I agree. Mercury's voice is so iconic that anything other than a dub would probably be a bad idea.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:44 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Ioan Gruffudd would work--AND he can sing.

That's pretty damn solid casting, good call LS!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:10 am

Damn, why hasn't Johnny Depp made The Rum Diary yet?
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:16 am

I wonder if the film will show Freddie going around picking up young rent boys in his spare time?

Johnny Depp looks nothing like Mercury, none of those mentioned do, Mercury could belt out a great tune but lets face it, he was an ugly fucker.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:28 am

Johnny Depp as Freddie? I cant see that one at all. I know hes a great actor, but that sounds bad. Just because Johnny is a chameleon doesnt mean he should be cast in every single role.

They should get an unknown British actor that looks and sounds a little like him instead. ONE WITH A HUGE OVERBITE!! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonsieurReynard on Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:59 am

I can see the logic- you need someone with charm. It's difficult, because it'd be hard to recreate the look convincly.

And Ioan Grufford lacks charm for me. Oddly enough, I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch for Sasha Baron Cohen to do it...though maybe that's asking for trouble.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:04 am

This film has to be an 18 or R certificate.

If they are doing a proper biopic....with some of the stories that my friends got from Anita Dobson, its going to be twisted.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:14 am

Monsieur: Sasha Baron Cohen would be WAY better as Freddie. Thats actually a GREAT idea! I think if he could play it serious with some dashes of Freddie humor it could be really special.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:22 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Monsieur: Sasha Baron Cohen would be WAY better as Freddie. Thats actually a GREAT idea! I think if he could play it serious with some dashes of Freddie humor it could be really special.

I'd say leave it alone. There is no-one who could play Freddie. Leave it for at least a good 20 years before starting this project......too soon?

papalazeru

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:29 am

Its not a big deal to me if this gets made or not. I was just giving my opinion on who I could see playing him in the movie if it does get made soon.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:15 pm

The problem with a biopic is you cna't just make it anytime. I figure you have to wait until you can find an actor who properly embodies the subject in question.

Someone's gonna hafta pull off that 'stache.

Look at Johnny Depp. The dude's a great chameleon, but he's way too waiffy to fill Freddie's shoes. Plus I don't even think he can grow anything more substantial than his POTC rat 'stache

I can dig this choice alot better. Sasha Baron Cohen can grow a proper mustache and he has the right color and build. He's also great at dissapearing into a character. If he couldn't make people believe he was somebody else, his comedy style wouldn't even work . He'd seriously need a chin implant though.

Then again none of them are John Stossel
Yeah, I know he won't do it, but he's my favorite reporter on Network and look at that mustache. He can strangle a baby with it.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:46 pm

Freddy had one of those accents that I think only English people can do...its so coloquial that anyone from outside attempting it would fail miserably.

papalazeru

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:49 pm

papalazeru wrote:Freddy had one of those accents that I think only English people can do...its so coloquial that anyone from outside attempting it would fail miserably.

Not bad for the Zanzibar born Faroukh who's parents were Indian Zororastrians. So, yeh not really all that English at all.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:09 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Freddy had one of those accents that I think only English people can do...its so coloquial that anyone from outside attempting it would fail miserably.

Not bad for the Zanzibar born Faroukh who's parents were Indian Zororastrians. So, yeh not really all that English at all.

What I'm saying is, he had an accent that was developed over time and its not like picking up an English teacher like Paltrow did to teach her stereotypical English.

papalazeru

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:16 pm

papalazeru wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

What I'm saying is, he had an accent that was developed over time and its not like picking up an English teacher like Paltrow did to teach her stereotypical English.

I see what you are saying, but I don't think it needs to be an English person, seeing as Freddie wasn't all that english himself. Sacha Baron Cohen is a great choice though. But I'd be tempted to suggest Paddy Considine as an outsider.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Baron Cohen is growing on me...but then the physique isn't right, he looks too tall.

I suppose its becuase my family has been fans for years and I know the songs and his face so well its hard to alienate myself.

I see a film looking similar to 'Scandal'.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:08 pm

At this stage, I don't think having Johnny Depp as Freddie Mercury would be very good. As good as he can be, I just don't see it happening.

David Walliams would be better, but I doubt he could be taken seriously.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:59 pm

MonsieurReynard wrote: Oddly enough, I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch for Sasha Baron Cohen to do it...though maybe that's asking for trouble.

You want trouble, you can have it, but unfortunately I ran out of gift paper. All I have to say is my feelings for Queen (positive) and Cohen (negative) don't mix very well. If that would happen I would be bitching for the next 2 or 3 decades.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: QUEEN - Freddie Mercury biopic

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:00 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:I searched around but didn't see a thread on this... if there is, very sorry.

Louise Jury of the U.K.'s The Independent reports that "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Johnny Depp is being lined up to play a rock star for real in a biopic of the late QUEEN frontman Freddie Mercury.

Robert de Niro's company, Tribeca Productions, is said to be behind the project, which Brian May, the QUEEN guitarist, confirmed was in development. "Discussions are at an early stage," he said on his web site.

May described Depp as "fantastic." "He would be a worthy counterpart for Freddie on screen. I don't think I can say any more right now," he added.

De Niro has known Brian May and QUEEN's drummer, Roger Taylor, since they met at the Venice Film Festival in 1996 and ploughed his own money into their hit stage musical, "We Will Rock You". The musical was originally going to be about the band but the surviving members decided that would be too embarrassing for all involved.

If they don't call it "It's A Kind of Magic" or "One Vision", it's a wasted opportunity.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:13 pm

I'd prefer 'F.A.T bottomed girls' as a title.
Last edited by papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papalazeru

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm

"Killer Queen" surely.
TonyWilson

Postby Blake's Scar on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:17 pm

At least nobody's suggested Bruce Campbell (no offense, Jainey!).
Blake's Scar
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:27 pm

......actually........

papalazeru

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:06 pm

Blake's Scar wrote:At least nobody's suggested Bruce Campbell (no offense, Jainey!).

Well, I doubt he could pull of the singing... but you've seen him as Elvis in Bubba Ho-Tep, right?
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:42 pm

TonyWilson wrote:"Killer Queen" surely.

Good one, but is it too . . . rainbowish?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:45 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Johnny Depp as Freddie? I cant see that one at all. I know hes a great actor, but that sounds bad. Just because Johnny is a chameleon doesnt mean he should be cast in every single role.

They should get an unknown British actor that looks and sounds a little like him instead.

Saves me typing the exact same thing. Why the fark on earth do people automatically start suggesting names that are too well known as to have an actual image of themselves far too much, to be entrirely convincing as they need to be to play an icon itself as much as Freddie Mercury Rising? I also think it's so flipping boring, common, predictable and downright unimagintive for everyone to go 'ulm eruilm, aaah dlunnooo, hlow abowt Johnnly Dleepp?' (best spastic voice that they can do) for every role that is suggested, straight away.

Gard's sake people, you don't always need a known movie star, and not one just 'cos 'he's a chameleon, he's a chameleon!' to play a role as this. You don't need one (who also brings, again, his own distracting baggage to the role) to carry a film like this. I vouch again, for getting an unkown to play the part. He would be just as exciting and engrossing (if not more) than watching the likes of Depp play this part. Altgether better probably.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:53 am

I also hope that a Bethoven biopic featuring Bryan May as the man himself gets done... He's got the hair for it...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:53 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:Johnny Depp as Freddie? I cant see that one at all. I know hes a great actor, but that sounds bad. Just because Johnny is a chameleon doesnt mean he should be cast in every single role.

They should get an unknown British actor that looks and sounds a little like him instead.

Saves me typing the exact same thing. Why the fark on earth do people automatically start suggesting names that are too well known as to have an actual image of themselves far too much, to be entrirely convincing as they need to be to play an icon itself as much as Freddie Mercury Rising? I also think it's so flipping boring, common, predictable and downright unimagintive for everyone to go 'ulm eruilm, aaah dlunnooo, hlow abowt Johnnly Dleepp?' (best spastic voice that they can do) for every role that is suggested, straight away.

Gard's sake people, you don't always need a known movie star, and not one just 'cos 'he's a chameleon, he's a chameleon!' to play a role as this. You don't need one (who also brings, again, his own distracting baggage to the role) to carry a film like this. I vouch again, for getting an unkown to play the part. He would be just as exciting and engrossing (if not more) than watching the likes of Depp play this part. Altgether better probably.

Yeah! lets go for the guy who won 'Stars in their eyes', who won the competition.

We are just tossing around ideas...pretty much like the Prod Co's. No need to get so defensive. To be honest, there is no-one alive who could fill Freddies shoe's, it would be an impossible task. Could you recommend someone equally as talented in singing as acting.....I don't think so.

How about you throw the odd bone?

papalazeru

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:56 am

The lead singer of the Killers looks like him with his new tash...

although he doesn't sound like him and i've never seen him act...

Probably the worst bone ever....
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:04 am

I can't throw an idea out there. So what though!? That's not the point. Just 'cos I don't know, don't make it wrong for me to bitch about this casting decision, and if you read me properly, I DID say that I prefer an unknown, so how could I name who could play him? Just like you said - in exaggeration - there is no one alive that could fill Freddie's shoes, or any other hole that he has for that matter, if you know what I mean. I'm sure it's been stretched far too big by now, dead or alive! Heh!

But that's at least why I said, get an unknown, do a worldwide casting search for someone who could get as CLOSE as someone possibly can, to bringing him to life again onscreen. You might well get a lot better a casting than doing some lazy ass hiring of Johnny Depp or some other known actor, no matter how lengthy a search you do for them, and you also get a face that you have no attachment to, that could bring you out of the film knowing who he really is.

Anyway, I wasn't attacking anyone here btw, just the casting people from the post's first quote, who mentioned him.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:24 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I can't throw an idea out there. So what though!? That's not the point. Just 'cos I don't know, don't make it wrong for me to bitch about this casting decision, and if you read me properly, I DID say that I prefer an unknown, so how could I name who could play him? Just like you said - in exaggeration - there is no one alive that could fill Freddie's shoes, or any other hole that he has for that matter, if you know what I mean. I'm sure it's been stretched far too big by now, dead or alive! Heh!

But that's at least why I said, get an unknown, do a worldwide casting search for someone who could get as CLOSE as someone possibly can, to bringing him to life again onscreen. You might well get a lot better a casting than doing some lazy ass hiring of Johnny Depp or some other known actor, no matter how lengthy a search you do for them, and you also get a face that you have no attachment to, that could bring you out of the film knowing who he really is.

Anyway, I wasn't attacking anyone here btw, just the casting people from the post's first quote, who mentioned him.

The problem with that is the 'nobodies' don't make the big bent nose people in Hollywood happy. They want to draw a certain $ figure to the film before it even beings....so having JD there makes it a certain sound investment.

I know, its wrong...its fucking wrong beyond belief. The problem here is that if someone is going to pay for it, people will make it.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:02 am

Yeah, and the problem with big star names too, is that they can raise the budget of a film whilst discrediting the film if they are a shit casting decision, or a lesser casting decision than unknowns, and could end up making the film not perform as well as if they tried a bit harder, waited a bit longer, and got another well known name who was better for the part. You don't want Tom Cruise to play Gandalf, let alone Connery over Mckellan right? What I'm saying is that I ain't against a well known name playing this guy, but there seems to be a laziness in casting the likes of Depp for Freddy Mercury.

BUT again, a known actor aren't always worth that much. I know this is besides the point of the debate here, but I would rather have an unkown play this guy, and maybe surround this actor by bigger actors playing other parts. The reciepts justifies the payment for these actors.

Keeping more closely to the relevance of known actor vs unkown actor at least for this role, which we seem to think that no one we know can duplicate close enough onscreen, I feel it's a gamble, therefore a possible false economy to get a known face to play this part, as you end up paying the cost of the actor, who could end up doing a lesser job than an unknown who theoretically could play him better. (Again, this is because we search high and low and more productively for the perfect fit, as we have a larger well to draw from, as there are thousands of unknowns compared to the relatively small number of known actors, actors who already have a distracting identity to the role, a role in which we say, not many can fill properly, therefore needing a greater search for the right fit)

Not saying that an unkown actor could generate greater box office than a well known, BUT seeing as it would take an unknown to possibly portray the guy better, and looking at the difference in cost of the actors as well as a known actor maybe not making the film as much money as it should do if he'd not the perfect fit, and an unknown actually making the film perform as well as it should do, as he IS the perfect FIT, it might be RELATIVELY - in terms of the different BUDGETS of each casting measured out against the different EARNINGS of each castings - a better economy to have the unknown actor play the role, especially as he might be the better face for the part.

Got all that? Probably not. Look it's 6.52 in the morning, I'm tired and been drinking, and enjoy farking with your minds, so wassup wid dat?

Look, this might make it easier. No pay attention, this will make it more clear. I would personally, rather see an unknown play Ali rather than an underachieving Will Smith. The unknown might make the film less money than Will Smith, but it also cost less. So when you measure out the money earnt against the money spent, it's a large percentage. That is, if the actor does a better job than Smith.

But even though Smith makes a larger amount of money at the Box Office compared to the unknown name, Smith also costs more (no, there is no salary fee cutting here either). BUT if Will Smith's performance ain't as good as the unknowns, then he probably won't make his film earn the amount that it could have done if he was as good, therefore, you've got his film not earning as much as it potentially should have done, whereas the unknown's film HAS. So, you have the margin of profit being greater in the unknown's film rather than the known's.

-

This may very well be my worst, post, ever.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:19 pm

Well, Elijah Wood (!) is apparently being lined up to play Iggy Pop in a long rumoured forthcoming biopic, so don't rule out any mad casting for the Mercury film. Though I honestly think this is well within Depp's capacity as an actor.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:44 pm

The Freddie Mercury casting debate will be bigger than the film I'll wager... bring it on!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:24 pm

Hehehe... there's always a gonna to be only a the one Freddie, no? Alla you gotta to do is a watch a the Live Aid to see a the magic that is a the Queen led by a the Freddie.

Which of a course, is a why I go anna use them inna the Flash Gordon, no?

FLASH! AH-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Heheheheh....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Spielberg will direct. Tom Cruise will star.

Of course. It is fated to be.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:34 pm

No, no, no, no. Michael Bay will direct. Ben Affleck will star.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:47 am

RogueScribner wrote:No, no, no, no. Michael Bay will direct. Ben Affleck will star.

Wow. There's a concept. Bay. If he directs, Queen will simply be a front for the members to play secret commandos violently righting wrongs in places like Alcatraz while they're on tour. And Freddie will die in a huge explosion at the end, heroically saving the world. AIDS won't be mentioned. And there won't be any Queen music, just lots of military marches played by full orchestras. Okay, maybe We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions.

But no Bohemian Rhapsody. That won't fit into a Michael Bay film.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: QUEEN - Freddie Mercury biopic

Postby bAzTNM on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:12 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:I searched around but didn't see a thread on this... if there is, very sorry.

Nah. I bet the house this won't happen.
bAzTNM
GLIB

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:29 pm

bAzTNM wrote:

Nah. I bet the house this won't happen.

I'm gonna have to see this house...

And maybe "break in" the master bed a coupla of times...before I take that bet...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:19 pm

Remember when Vanilla Ice stole part of a Queen song?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Movie News