The Flash (Fred Claus in, wtf DC??)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:27 am

I could never see a translation of any of the Flash's rouge gallery working, with the exception of Gorilla Grodd.

Now, before you go thinking "wtf is unikrunk smoking, a talking super-gorilla is the most awkward for a film', think about this:

The movie needs science at its core. The Flash is a science-hero, and requires a logical science-villain. Gorilla Grodd need not be presented a denizen of Gorilla City; rather, he could be the outcome of bleeding-edge animal study.

It sounds crazy, but the premise, IMO, certainly suspends disbelief more than a dude with a boomerang fighting a guy that can move as fast as light, or more so a second-rate Dr. Freeze or a guy that can utilize a, ah, um...mirror dimension.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:32 am

RogueScribner wrote:Would Grodd be too crazy for a first time live action movie?

ETA: Ha, Spiffy, you answered my question before I posted it!

Thanks for reminding me that his name was Grodd. I just feel that it would be a little odd having a talking telepathic ape as the bad guy even for a character who runs fast in bright red spandex.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:54 am

@Spiffy - I hear ya. The main issue I think is that the Flash's rouges are a literal joke. I mean, they're a running gag, made fun of in not just the comics but also in JL and JLU 'toons.

So, it would seem that the film-makers have this decision to make:

1 - Just go for it with one of the classic villains
2 - Change a villain to be more grounded, or at least somewhat less nancy
3 - Create a new villain
4 - Borrow a villain from another comic

I think choice number 2 is the way to go (but hell, I am not making the picture) and would play the best.

It does not have to be Grodd, I suppose, but I can't think of how you would do this with any other main baddies. Maybe Inertia. That could work.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:10 am

Well seeing as how The Joker/Lex Luthor are the only villains DC cares about... they'll probably use The Penguin.

Wak wak wak! :lol:
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby instant_karma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:21 am

How about The Turtle?

Fast vs slow.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Chilli on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:24 am

Only if they cast Will Ferrell. Think of the possibilities.

Turtle: You're running too fast. Slow down. I SAID SLOW DOWN. GET BACK HERE AND FACE ME... I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.

(Insert random pratfall.)
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 am

Chilli wrote:Only if they cast Will Ferrell. Think of the possibilities.

Turtle: You're running too fast. Slow down. I SAID SLOW DOWN. GET BACK HERE AND FACE ME... I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.

(Insert random pratfall.)

Or Seth Rogan.

I was just looking over the Flash's rogue gallery on wikipedia and to be honest... most of his villains are just plain weird. o.O
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 am

instant_karma wrote:How about The Turtle?

Fast vs slow.

THe Turtle wrote:Image

Thanks for making me such a crap character, DC. I am just going to go ahead and throw my ridiculous self out this window. Assholes.

Tell my wife I love her
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:35 am

unikrunk wrote:

Fast vs slow.

Thanks for making me such a crap character, DC. I am just going to go ahead and throw my ridiculous self out this window. Assholes.

Tell my wife I love her

But he'd fall reeeaaaallly slowly, so the impact wouldn't kill him....
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:38 am

instant_karma wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

Fast vs slow.

Tell my wife I love her

But he'd fall reeeaaaallly slowly, so the impact wouldn't kill him....

LOL! Incidentally, failed suicide attempt ups the inept villain quotient by, like, 11.

Eh, EDIT just noticed the thread title...so; Chief BagsUnderEyes is going to smack-walk through this? Is this substantiated? I mean, is it in pencil, or ink?

Holyfuck, what goon associated Sloth-Boy with the Flash? That's just being fucking obtuse and spiteful. If I were in 'the biz' and someone had the balls to pitch that to me, I would not only have them instantly dismissed, I would dickslap them in their face.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Flash (Fred Claus in, wtf DC??)

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm

From MTV: What Does Grant Morrison Have To Do With A ‘Flash’ Movie? He’s Not Telling… Yet.
Jennifer Vineyard wrote:So we thought we were shifting gears by asking him his thoughts on the upcoming “Flash” film— after all, he’s resurrected the Flash in “Final Crisis.” But it appears that we may have hit upon another sore spot, since it appears he’s pitched a “Flash” film.

“Yeah, that’s the kind of thing I can’t talk about,” Morrison said. “Yes, I have talked to them. I’m deeply involved in those discussions. I know what’s going down with all of that, and it’s actually really exciting. But beyond that, I can’t say anything. I wish I could tell you. I’m sure announcements will probably be made at some point, but I can’t say anything.”

Does that mean director David Dobkin might use a Morrison idea or script? He can’t say. Does it mean he pitched it and they turned it down? Again, he can’t say. But that they even might be considering using anything Morrison has to offer gives us hope. And when there are announcements either way to be made about it, we’ll keep you posted.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:02 pm

TheButcher wrote:From MTV: What Does Grant Morrison Have To Do With A ‘Flash’ Movie? He’s Not Telling… Yet.
Jennifer Vineyard wrote:So we thought we were shifting gears by asking him his thoughts on the upcoming “Flash” film— after all, he’s resurrected the Flash in “Final Crisis.” But it appears that we may have hit upon another sore spot, since it appears he’s pitched a “Flash” film.

“Yeah, that’s the kind of thing I can’t talk about,” Morrison said. “Yes, I have talked to them. I’m deeply involved in those discussions. I know what’s going down with all of that, and it’s actually really exciting. But beyond that, I can’t say anything. I wish I could tell you. I’m sure announcements will probably be made at some point, but I can’t say anything.”

Does that mean director David Dobkin might use a Morrison idea or script? He can’t say. Does it mean he pitched it and they turned it down? Again, he can’t say. But that they even might be considering using anything Morrison has to offer gives us hope. And when there are announcements either way to be made about it, we’ll keep you posted.

Whoa. Consider my mind blown.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Dan Mazeau is Writing THE FLASH?!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:44 pm

From MTV: Has ‘The Flash’ Movie Snagged ‘Johnny Quest’ Screenwriter?
Casey Seijas on wrote:From what we’ve heard over the past few months, a feature film based on DC’s Scarlet Speedster, The Flash, is certainly not living up to its moniker. Short of David Dobkin being announced as the film’s director back in October of last year, there’s been barely any movement on the project — especially in terms of possible screenwriters.

But hold on to your hats, Flash fans, as [url]IESB.com[/url] is reporting today that Dan Mazeau has been tapped to write the script for a feature film based on “The Flash.” According to the site, Mazeau apparently impressed the head honchos over at Warner Bros. with his script for their upcoming film based on “Johnny Quest” so much that they decided to give him a crack at Flash…or did they?

While IESB says they are breaking this news with “100% certainty,” when they posed this question to producer Chuck Roven recently, they were unable to get official confirmation.

“I can’t really give you any information about ‘The Flash,’” Roven told IESB. “I can’t even confirm that Dan is on it. What I’m saying is, probably for about the last six months or so, the decision was made to really kind of, unless there was a DC character project that was ready to be green lit, to just not talk about it. So there’s nothing really that I can talk about at the moment.”

Looks like The Flash remains in a holding pattern for the time being, folks…

An IESB Exclusive: Dan Mazeau is Writing THE FLASH!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Double Down on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 am

Exclusive: Is Scott Porter In the Running for the Flash?

Monday, February 9, 2009 - 8:38 P.M.
A week or so back, our friends at IESB received word that Dan Mazeau (whose Johnny Quest script really impressed Warner Brothers) was tapped to write The Flash.
Now even as Mazeau is typing away at the script, the studio is already looking at two actors as possible candidates to done the red-and-gold suit.
We've received word from a very-reliable source that actor Scott Porter (formerly of the critically-acclaimed television-series Friday Night Lights) is one of those actors.
If you'll remember back in the Fall of 2007, Porter auditioned for director George Miller for his (now dead) Justice League: Mortal and was said to be a top candidate for Superman.
The word is the studio has been quietly keeping their eye on the actor, and been keen to include him in one of their DC properties since JLM fell through.

http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/movie-news/2009/2/10/exclusive-is-scott-porter-in-the-running-for-the-flash.html
Double Down
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:37 am

I like Scott Porter. Don't like him for FLASH.

Not Barry or Wally.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

GEOFF JOHNS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:01 pm

From THR:

This past fall, Warners quietly hired three of DC's biggest writers -- Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison and Marv Wolfman -- to act as consultants and writers for its superhero line of movies. The move involved taking back the reins on projects being handled by such producers as Charles Roven ("The Flash") and Akiva Goldsman ("Teen Titans").

The moves have begun to pay off. Johns worked up a new treatment for a "Flash" script, being written by Dan Mazeau; Johns will act in a producer capacity on the project, which has not attached a director.

From Newsarama: SDCC 09: GEOFF JOHNS Spotlight LIVE!
A comment about the writer's stint interning for Richard Donner led to a question asking if Johns might be involved in the next Superman movie. Johns replied that he's focusing on the Flash movie right now.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Charles Roven is out!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:53 am

From IGN:
The Flash Hobbled?
Christopher Monfette wrote:Producer brings us up to speed on the superhero's status.

IGN recently had the chance to catch up with The Dark Knight producer Charles Roven whose attachment to a feature version of The Flash appears to be on the ropes.

"I was involved at one point with The Flash," said Roven. "And Warner Bros. came to me and said, 'The work that you've been doing hasn't yet resulted in something that any of us, including the filmmaking team, feel could be greenlit as a movie. We're trying to accomplish something that takes into account the entire, rich DC character world, and we'd like to pull it back. That doesn't mean that you aren't going to be a part of it. We just want to take a different kind of approach. Do you mind if we try that?' If we had something that was really working…"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:32 am

Not surprising considering the big shift at Warners. Stuff like this is going to happen with a lot of producers. Joel Silver is finally going to lose Wonder Woman. Thank god. He obviously had no clue what he was doing.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 am

From IGN:
The Flash Writer Talks - Screenwriter gives IGN a status update.
Jim Vejvoda wrote:The film's current screenwriter, Dan Mazeau, contacted IGN Movies today to give us the project's current status. "Just to chime in on your latest article: The Flash has not been hobbled. Everything is moving forward as planned," Mazeau explained. "I'm still writing the script. Geoff Johns is still consulting. Flash fans have no cause for concern, and -- IMO -- lots to be excited about."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:43 pm

There is apparently a leading contender to direct The Flash.

Greg Berlanti

He has a writing credit on Green Lantern (and production credit). And apparently he was considered a director contender for that.

He is better than Shawn Levy, at the very least.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Yeah, thank god its not Levy!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:04 pm

From Collider:
Warner Bros. is Going to Use DC Comics Superheroes to Replace the HARRY POTTER Franchise as Their Tent Pole Releases!
While nothing is officially on the calendar yet, I’ve heard in 2012 we’re getting not only a new Batman movie…but The Flash! I’ve heard the studio is currently talking to directors and they’ll announce who it is when they’ve found the right choice.

Again, The Flash isn’t confirmed, but I’m telling you, it’s the next new superhero movie at Warner Bros. and we’re going to hear about it soon.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Flash (Greg Berlanti)

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:06 pm

From Collider 3/19/2010:
Director Greg Berlanti talks LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, THE FLASH and GREEN LANTERN (He Wrote and is a Producer on Green Lantern)
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:On yesterday’s Showest red carpet, I was able to talk with director Greg Berlanti about his upcoming movie Life as We Know it, Green Lantern, and I asked him about the rumors he might direct The Flash. Regarding The Flash, he says he’s busy with a pilot at ABC and his movie so he hasn’t thought about it. Basically, he ducked my question.

From SHH:
Greg Berlanti on Those Flash Directing Rumors
"Nah, you know right now, it's all about... 'Green Lantern' just started shooting a couple of days ago and everyone is really excited about that. I'm mostly focused just on finishing up this movie. I haven't really thought about any of that stuff yet, but just hoping this goes well."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Flash (Geoff Johns)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 am

From CBR:
WC10: Geoff Johns
JK Parkin wrote:He also mentioned that a "Flash" film is in development, but wouldn't share any further details. When a fan asked about the possibilities of "interconnected" JLA movies, similar to Marvel's plans for their Avengers franchise, Johns said he couldn't say anything, but "we'll talk in San Diego."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Flash

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:51 pm

From THR: Warners hires writers for 'Green Lantern 2' and 'Flash'
Borys Kit wrote:With new Batman and Superman films in the writing stages and “Lantern” filming, the team thought “Flash” was the next logical hero to tackle.

Development on a feature version of the scarlet speedster has gone through several false starts over the years, but the character is close to Johns’ heart. The writer recently brought back to prominence one version of the character not seen since the mid-1980s and is working on a relaunch of the series.

The “Flash” film will take inspiration from Johns’ recent work and will feature the Barry Allen incarnation of the character. (In comics lore, several names have wielded the Flash mantle, though Allen, created in 1956, remains by far the most popular.)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:08 pm

From Collider:
Greg Berlanti Interview NO ORDINARY FAMILY; Plus Updates on GREEN LANTERN and THE FLASH
Christina Radish wrote:When will The Flash happen?

Greg: We’re just getting into the script. We’re just starting the script, so that’s about where we’re at.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:21 am

MARC GUGGENHEIM Talks FLASH & GREEN LANTERN 2
"We've turned in the treatment for Flash," Guggenheim said of the movie, which will be based on the DC Comics speedster. "And we're talking about Green Lantern 2."

"I think it's very hard to talk about these characters in a closed-ended, sort of non-sequel way," he said, "especially characters like The Flash and Green Lantern, which have such rich, long histories. You can't help but talk about the characters and go, 'Oh, I really want to do the movie where we get to this moment, or that moment.' So you're always talking in terms of sequels, but no, nothing's planned. We haven't even written the script yet for The Flash. It's very much one step at a time for The Flash.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:48 pm

From Hero Complex:
‘Green Lantern’ screenwriter: Hal Jordan is part Jedi, part ‘Top Gun’
Gina McIntyre wrote:GM: And what’s the status of “The Flash”?

GB: I did the story with Michael and Marc because of the release of ["Life as We Know It"] and because of the show ["No Ordinary Family"]. … They’re writing the script, and that’s really where we’re at with it. I’d love to say that I knew [what] was going to happen next, but I just never know — especially while we’re in the middle of the script. You’re tearing at it every day and going, “Oh, gosh, what about this, let’s try this. “It’s a real active part of what DC wants to do. The character, like Hal, I think it’s his time. I feel like in this environment we’re in now, our society is moving quicker and quicker. There are all these ways to connect; there’s an element of our society that feels like it’s on speed, for lack of a better word. There’s something very timely about the story of the Flash at this moment, Barry Allen’s story.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 am

From Cinema Blend:
Bradley Cooper May Play The Flash
Greg Berlanti Not Attached To Direct The Flash, Script Due Before Christmas

From Moviehole:
Warner will have The Flash by Christmas
Clint Morris wrote:Very early days but, I've heard Bradley Cooper, who of course was the runner-up for the role of Hal Jordan in DC's "Green Lantern", is the favourite to wiggle his way into the cherry tights. Warner Bros loves them some Cooper, and DC is very keen to have Cooper be 'part of the family', so don't be surprised to hear the "Hangover" star's name mentioned in relation to the role when the shortlist is inevitably leaked. (Personally, I don't mind the idea of Adam Brody - who was attached to play the speedy superhero in the ill-fated "Justice League" flick).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:32 am

From Screen Rant:
Marc Guggenheim Talks ‘The Flash’ Movie & Desire For Cameos
The point was raised to Marc that the idea of The Flash movie is being compared to the television series CSI, but for superheroes.

“We’re being true to the whole Barry Allen science police… We’re being true to those origins and updating them for the 21st century. I feel like in many ways the movie is three movies in one. It’s part thriller, that forensic, cool, Seven, Silence of the Lambs; Part superhero movie and part sports movie because there’s an athleticism to this character that other superheroes don’t have… And you get to see how all three of those elements inform each other and make the whole movie even better. It’s sort of like the way in Green Lantern we took a superhero movie and combined it with a space opera, here we’re combining the superhero movie with these other two genres and it’s just a blast.”

Is there a run of The Flash comics for which the film will be basing upon?

“We’re drawing I think a lot from a lot of different eras… Certainly Geoff Johns’ work has been an influence. Mark Waid’s run, particularly the stuff he wrote with the philosophy of speed and the philosophy of running has been a big influence. We’ve also tried to take our inspiration from the old Silver Age Barry Allen stories and imbue it with that sense of fun and wonder while still keeping that cool, slightly darker tone.”

As for the question everyone is wondering: what about cameos and cross-overs with the other DC films?

“I would say in terms of the collaboration between me, Greg and Michael, I’m the one who always going like, ‘we can do this cameo, we can do this little Easter egg’ and I’m a huge proponent of it. I’m a big believer in it. Obviously there’s a lot of those types of decisions get made way above my pay grade but I’m certainly always scheming. And with The Flash I have very particular ideas as to how I would accomplish it [laughs]… all sorts of other people need to weigh in on that sort of thing before it becomes a reality. I am on record saying I love it when movies do that. I’m a total sucker for that.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Flash 2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:06 pm

'The Flash' Co-Writer On Barry Allen, The Rogues, And Who They're Saving For The Sequel (Maybe)
Rick Marshall wrote:Earlier this week, I posted a segment from an interview with writer Marc Guggenheim who, along with scripting creator-owned comics "Halcyon" and "Resurrection," also served as co-writer on the upcoming live-action "Green Lantern" movie. Along with discussing Hal Jordan's big-screen debut (and a few DC characters who won't be joining him), we also had a brief chat about another DC character he's helping to bring to theaters: Barry Allen, the scarlet speedster better known as The Flash.

Currently putting the finishing touches on a "Flash" script with co-writers Michael Green and Greg Berlanti, Guggenheim compared their take on the classic DC character to dark, procedural dramas like "Seven" or "Silence of the Lambs," but with superhero elements.

Along with expertly dodging my questions about the presence of Flash's well-known rogues gallery, the writer offered up some interesting thoughts on why Barry Allen was the Flash to focus on in the film (as opposed to Jay Garrick, Wally West, etc).

MTV NEWS: I'm a big fan of the Wally West iteration of The Flash, so I have to ask: What goes into the decision when you're choosing which version of a popular character to focus on? We have the Hal Jordan version of Green Lantern and now the Barry Allen version of The Flash, so how did you decide that Barry Allen is the one to go with for the "Flash" movie?

MARC GUGGENHEIM: It's very similar for the whole reason we went with Hal for the Green Lantern. That’s the Silver Age character. That’s the character people grew up on. That’s the name first associated with that character. So part of it is honoring the legacy aspect, and the other aspect is just practical — you can go forward, but you can’t really go backward. You can’t start with Kyle Rayner, and then do a movie with Hal Jordan.

Just from a practical standpoint, I feel it's better to go in a linear, generational fashion than it is to double back — which is not to say that Kyle and Wally aren’t phenomenal versions of the character. They are, and they are near and dear to my heart. We just have to get up to them.

MTV: You've said before that there's going to be a mix of procedural crime story and superhero stuff in the "Flash" movie. How are you finding a balance between the criminal investigation part of Barry’s history and the superhero thing?

GUGGENHEIM: Not to keep drawing comparisons from "Green Lantern," but it's hard not to... With "Green Lantern," what we were doing was combining a space opera with a superhero movie. Here, we’re combining a crime thriller with a superhero movie. There's also an element of a sports movie, because the character is so physical and I feel like there is an athleticism to his power that other superheroes don’t have. I think that's pretty cool.

When Barry Allen was the character, he was a science policeman. We’re obviously updating that and now he’s in forensics and CSI. The tone is sort of darker, and more like "Seven" and "Silence of the Lambs" in that mysterious and noir-ish way, which is also working in conjunction with the superhero elements. It's a lot of fun. I think the character is made for a story and a screenplay that gives you more than the sum of its parts.

MTV: I’m sure you can’t give away who the villain is or key things here, but can you tell us who it won’t be? Is Gorilla Grodd out of the mix? Is there anything you can tell us about Flash's rogues gallery and how it's represented in the script?

GUGGENHEIM: [Laughs] Flash has a spectacular rogues gallery. You know it’s funny, because we’ve been trying to come up with a good joke about the cast. Let's see... You won’t see Chunk in it. We’re saving Chunk for the sequel. [Laughs]

MTV: But you can't give me anything on the rogues, huh? What about Rainbow Raider? Fans are dying to see Roy G. Bivolo make his big-screen debut...

GUGGENHEIM: [Laughs] You know, Warner Bros. has one of my kids hostage and they’ll kill her if…

MTV: Okay, okay... I don't want to endanger anyone. Thanks for the update, Marc!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:50 pm

From Collider:
Director Shawn Levy on What Happened to His FLASH Movie
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:Collider: There were rumors you were attached to The Flash.

Shawn Levy: I was attached to The Flash. You know…I’m going to give you the candid answer. After Night at the Museum, I got offered The Flash. I was like, “Well, first of all, what?! Why?” I know Night at the Museum was a big commercial movie and had a lot of visual effects, but… Look, I love The Flash. Mostly because it was this nickname I had in my youth. And I liked it because I liked the comics. But I was a sprinter. And I was really into running fast. It’s fucking geeky. Attached to The Flash, I oversaw a draft for about three-and-a-half months. And, at that time, I learned two things. One, if you’re going to take on a character like that… I was still the family comedy guy. And I just felt like, I gotta get a few more under my belt before I can claim the legitimacy of making a movie like that. And that’s what I’m doing, to be very honest. I’m not saying I have a master plan to go back to The Flash. In the end, The Flash went away because Justice League was gonna happen. And then it didn’t happen. To my great dismay, because I would have been first in line for that, too. Is it still….I don’t even know.

Collider: You know, I’ve said this on the site, I’ve said that after Real Steel comes out and fanboys see this, that you’re going to be seen in a whole new light with a lot of people. And you getting attached to a comic book movie is something fans/geeks are going to get excited about.

Levy: I’m aware of the kind of movies I’ve made, and I’m grateful for their success. But there will be a before and after Real Steel. I know it. This movie is so different from the prior ones. I finally got to show some shit that I hadn’t been given the opportunity. And the bottom line is when Jim Cameron saw twenty minutes of Real Steel, he offered me Fantastic Voyage. When the Frankenstein people atFox saw some of Real Steel, we started talking Frankenstein.

Collider: If Warner Bros came at you and said we still want to do The Flash is this something…because here’s the thing: you can only do one movie every other year.

The truth is, we never got the Flash script right. I still love that character. I’ve had no talks. But I’m waiting and seeing. In two weeks we’ll see what the fallout from Real Steel is. I do know that there may very well be a comic book hero in my future. I would like that very much. I also know that I never wanted a purely comedy career. The careers I admire most are eclectic. They’re genre diverse. Whether it’s Peter Weir, or Ron Howard, or Zemeckis. It’s always humanist, it tends to be commercial. But it’s not just the same thing. And that’s what I’m trying to build here. And that’s why I’m talking things like Fantastic Voyage, why I’m talking things like Frankenstein. Always character-based, like Real Steel is. You’ve seen this. Real Steel, you go in thinking it’s about robots wailing on each other. You come out, you know it’s something different or something more. Same with Fantastic Voyage and very much the same with Frankenstein.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The FLASH, JONNY QUEST & BLEACH!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Wrath of the Titans” screenwriter offers updates on “The Flash,” “Jonny Quest,” and “Bleach” movies
Rick Marshall wrote:In “Wrath of the Titans,” screenwriter Dan Mazeau authored a tale of characters who overcome great odds in battles against all manner of mythological creatures. And while some might find the universe of Greek legends a little overwhelming, Mazeau appears to be right at home crafting tales of fantastic heroes and villains.

During the recent press junket for “Wrath of the Titans,” IFC asked Mazeau for an update on some of the other projects he’s working on these days, including films based on DC Comics’ scarlet speedster The Flash, classic kid adventurer Jonny Quest, and the popular manga and anime series “Bleach.”

“Warner Brothers is in the process of figuring out what their method is for releasing their superhero movies,” said Mazeau when asked about his script for a live-action movie based on The Flash. “They had ‘Green Lantern’ come out, and I think ‘Flash’ is high on the list of what would be next.”

“It’s a matter of a lot of things coming together — the right story and the right filmmaker and the right sort of visual approach to Flash, because he can’t just be a guy who runs fast,” he said of the project, which would feature the Silver Age version of the character, Barry Allen. “That was important to me while I was writing my script. Fingers crossed, though — hopefully there will be some news soon.”

As for “Jonny Quest,” his screenplay based on the 1960s cartoon about a boy who accompanies his father on adventures around the world, Mazeau said the project has a few obstacles to overcome before it can find its way to the screen — specifically, finding the right actor to play the title character.

“It’s difficult for a movie to come together,” said Mazeau. “You have to get the right pieces. One of the challenges with ‘Jonny Quest’ is that you have a lead who’s a young kid. The movie stars that are young kids are few and far between, but Dan Lin and the guys over at his production company are working on it and hopefully there will be something soon.”

“It’s a cool one, though,” he added. “I think it’s something that could make for a real amazing movie if done right. ‘Jonny Quest’ combines all this amazing wish fulfillment as a kid, but also there’s real danger to it. There’s real weight to it. People die in the ‘Jonny Quest’ cartoons. I think ‘Spy Kids’ was fun, but it’s lighter than what ‘Jonny Quest’ would be. Making sure it has a little edge to it was important to me, and I know it was to Dan and the other producers, too.”

While the two aforementioned projects are in a state of limbo at the moment, Mazeau seemed hopeful about the momentum behind “Bleach,” a film based on Tite Kubo’s celebrated manga and anime series about a teenager who inherits the powers of a “soul reaper” to fight demons and ferry spirits between this world and the afterlife.

“I love ‘Bleach!’ ‘Bleach’ is awesome,” laughed Mazeau. “It’s been a long process getting to write the script. Getting the rights from the Japanese company that owned them was a complicated process. But early on we set down with Tite Kubo the creator and the publisher of the series, and we had a long meeting, making sure we’re respectful to the property. Nobody wants to, well… Let’s just say that if you enjoyed [the live-action] ‘Dragonball Z’ movie, that’s great, but I thought it was a noble effort that ultimately didn’t succeed. That’s what we’re trying to avoid. We want to make sure this movie lives up to what the manga is.”

“I’m currently working on ‘Bleach’ and the idea is to set it in Japan and really be respectful to the source material,” he added. “It’s an amazing story. I’ve been shorthanding it as an ‘action-adventure Sixth Sense,’ but obviously on a bigger canvas than that. So I’m incredibly excited about that. It’s a good one.”

“Wrath of the Titans” hits theaters March 30, and stars Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Edgar Ramirez, and Toby Kebbell. Keep an eye on IFC.com for more from the “Wrath of the Titans” press junket.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:22 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:28 am

'Flash' Series From 'Arrow' Producers in the Works at CW
The DC Comics hero will be introduced during a second-season episode of the Stephen Amell starrer.
Lesley Goldberg wrote:The network will look to Arrow co-creators/executive producers Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and director David Nutter to introduce the lightning-fast character during the second season of Arrow.

"We plan to introduce the recurring character of Barry Allen, who is the Flash," Pedowitz told reporters. "We're planning an origin story, and we'll see how it goes. We do want to expand on the DC Universe, and we felt this is a very organic way to get there."

For his part, Berlanti is also developing a Flash movie for Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment, with sources telling THR that the feature is being eyed for 2016. Pedowitz also noted that there is no conflict with the movie studio or DC when it comes to the TV series and feature film, as previous efforts have proven troublesome when there's such an overlap.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 pm

The CW's 'Flash' Casts Original Barry Allen in Mysterious Role
John Wesley Shipp, who played the title character in CBS' 1990s series "The Flash," has boarded the project.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 am

DC Head Geoff Johns Says DC Movies & TV Shows Form a ‘Multiverse’
DC Comics chief creative officer Geoff Johns refers to the Warner Bros. movies and various television shows as a ‘multiverse’ – is an eventual crossover in the cards?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:44 pm

These guys are working on EVERYTHING!

LEGO movie, Last Man on Earth, Flash, Spidey animated film. They are everywhere.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

These guys are working on EVERYTHING!

LEGO movie, Last Man on Earth, Flash, Spidey animated film. They are everywhere.

Latino Review:
Director Phil Lord Gives Update on Warner Bros./DC’s 'The Flash' And Animated Spider-Man Film

Collider:
Phil Lord Talks THE FLASH Movie and Animated SPIDER-MAN; Says Barry Allen Likely
The 'Jump Street' co-director says the film will probably use Barry Allen as The Flash and discusses its relation to the TV show.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:25 pm

'Star Wars' Han Solo Spinoff In the Works With 'Lego Movie' Directors (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Unclear is how this move will impact Lord and Miller’s schedule. The duo became hot property not only with their witty take on the buddy cop genre with Jump Street but especially with 2014’s Lego Movie, which juggled a spectrum of geek icons from Batman to Star Wars.

They were to develop a Flash feature for Warners as a directing vehicle but now with the untitled Star Wars spin-off, that is likely off the table. As is a third Jump Street movie. However, they could stay on as writers or producers on those projects.

They were also developing an animated Spider-Man project for Sony, writing a treatment and producing, but since they were not intending to direct it, that could be less impacted.

The pair would remain involved in the Lego franchise they helped launch.

The Flash season 2 will premiere on Tuesday October 6th.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Flash Finds Its Director. WTF DC??

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:06 am

'The Flash' Movie Finds Its Director (Exclusive)
'Flash' would be the feature directorial debut of the best-selling author of 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' and 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.'
Borys Kit wrote:Seth Grahame-Smith is in negotiations to direct and write The Flash, Warner Bros.' comic book movie based on the iconic DC Entertainment scarlet speedster super hero, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie project has a treatment from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo that were also eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.

Instead, the busy duo is headed to a galaxy far, far away (in this case just down the street to Disney) to tackle the Han Solo Star Wars movie, thus instigating a new search for a helmer.

Flash already has a release date – March 3, 2018 – and an actor who portrays the classic hero known as "the fastest man alive" – Ezra Miller. Miller’s Flash, aka. Barry Allen, is due to be introduced in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and then more prominently in Justice League Part 1, which will be released in the summer of 2017.

The Flash is already generating awareness in the form of a hit television series on the CW.

Charles Roven is producing the movie. Deborah and Zack Snyder are executive producing.

Grahame-Smith is the author of such genre mash-up best-sellers as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. But he also also made a name for himself as a screenwriter, especially at Warners, where he is writing Lego Batman.

Flash would be Grahame-Smith’s feature directorial debut, although he has directed episodes of The Hard Times of RJ Berger, an MTV comedy he co-created with his producing partner David Katzenberg.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Flash Loses Its Director. WTF DC??

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 7:30 am

THR:
The 'Flash' Movie Loses Its Director (Exclusive)
Seth Grahame-Smith was attached to direct the superhero film starring Ezra Miller, but is leaving over "creative differences."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Did ‘Dope’ director Rick Famuyiwa just land a job at DC Films?
CHRIS BEGLEY wrote:Several Batman News readers just pointed out some potentially big DC Extended Universe news to me. Rick Famuyiwa, the writer/director of the 2015 movie Dope, recently went on a Twitter following spree! He started following, in this order: DC Comics, Geoff Johns, Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot, Suicide Squad, Zack Snyder, Ben Affleck, Ray Fisher, and Jason Momoa.

In between all of that, he also started following Channing Tatum and comic book writer Mark Waid. And to make things even more interesting, the new head of DC Films, Geoff Johns, started following Famuyiwa back recently as well.

I’m just speculating, but it would appear that he just landed a job at Warner Bros. on a future DC movie. The Flash just lost a director, could Famuyiwa be filling in? Cyborg and Green Lantern also need directors, and are due out in 2020.

Let me know what you think about this potential news in the comments below.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Brown Sugar & The Flash

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:34 pm

‘The Flash’ Lands ‘Dope’ Helmer Rick Famuyiwa
He Will Direct Ezra Miller As Fastest Man Alive
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:Warner Bros has found its director for its feature The Flash starring Ezra Miller. The studio has chosen Rick Famuyiwa, the up-and-coming director who on the feature front most recently helmed the Sundance pic Dope, which he scripted. He will step in and direct the film that Warner Bros has slotted for release on March 16, 2018. Miller is in starmaking mode at the studio in the Harry Potter spinoff Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and also had a cameo in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and will appear in The Justice League Part One. They will work out a deal quickly.

Famuiywa is receiving strong Emmy-season buzz for directing Confirmation, the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas HBO drama that stars Kerry Washington and Wendell Pierce as the two principal characters.

The Flash script is written by Seth Grahame-Smith, who originally was going to make his helming debut but exited the project over creative differences. Grahame-Smith’s take on the iconic DC Entertainment superhero is based on a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo that once expected to helm the picture. Warner Bros is looking for the right chemical mix on its superhero picture line based on the DC Comics heroes that started with Batman V Superman, and the feeling internally was that Famuyiwa provided a vision that would resonate with young viewers and that vision was very compatible with the script that the studio is moving toward the starting gate with. That vision was executed to strong reviews in Dope, the 2015 film about a young geek trying to survive in a tough Los Angeles neighborhood.

It is a big opportunity for Famuyiwa, whose résumé so far has been small distinctive indies like The Wood, Brown Sugar, and Our Family Wedding. He’ll be playing in a much bigger pond now. Famuyiwa is repped by WME, Oasis and attorney Gordon M. Bobb.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News