Ridley Scott's ROBIN HOOD

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Nottingham - New Robin Hood Film *SPOILERS*

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well, Robin Hood did fight in the Crusades and it seems that part of the Crusades or related to it involved the French invading England - sigh, will no one listen to me and my Insider stories?

The bit of England that King John lost to the French was Normandy. Didn't have much to do with the Crusades, just that apparently John was a bit rubs when it came to the military stuff (which is probably why he didn't go on the Crusades).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Wow, am really surprised at the negativity. That trailer really turned the film around in my eyes. I mean you have this folk hero, maybe the closest of which in our modern times is Osama Bin Laden, and then you have some real interesting territory for a film to examine. Robin terrorised lets not forget that. I'm hoping Scott will give the subject a serious examination, as the nature of control and oppression should always be subjects to be explored in art/film. I credit Ridley with enough intelligence and financial independence to say whatever the hell he wants. So what if Crowe is in it, I too only really liked Master and Commander (for Peter Weir's direction), and lets not forget "The Insider", although Gladiator never really amazed me, (so what Ridley, you fought your way to the top...), but seriosuly, as bankable stars go, at least he didn't go with Psycho Bale!1!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:54 pm

But.. I LIKE Psycho Bale!!

Yes you're right about The Insider. I try not to forget that this is the actor who Crowe is, it's just that I'd rather see that on display more often, and I do get sick of Scott casting Crowe all the time, like he don't wanna play with others anymore.

As for these issues of him as a terrorising figure and the controversies of him as 'people's hero', well I'm all for it, I just hope it DOES get explored in this film, so maybe some of the spirit of the Sherrif being the 'good guy', Hood the 'bad guy' might be here, just not to too much an extent, as I still think that this premise sucks if done in such a black and white fashion.

I just heard this film being described by those that worked on it, that it is gonna have an epic arc and maybe length to it, so this I think is what's gonna be the hook for me. Too bad I was busy all this Summer making Gulliver's Travels instead of working in this. Therefore Gulliver alone will cost Hood the Oscar when it's released.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Ridley Scott's ROBIN HOOD

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:58 pm

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:New trailer.

Looks fun. It has my bow!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 am

Wow that is a much better trailer than before!
For one, it actually feels like a Robin Hood movie and not "Gladiator 2."
And second, the lack of rock music is always an added plus when previewing a period film.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:14 am

Arrowed!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:51 am

magicmonkey wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:New trailer.

Looks fun. It has my bow!

And my axe!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

EARLY REVIEW OF ROBIN HOOD

Postby Nathan Ligon on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:33 am

3 1/2 stars out of 4.

Robin Hood is a fabulous piece of summer entertainment on the scale of the great historical epics.

I was lucky enough to enjoy an advanced screening Wednesday night at the Angelika Film Center in Dallas. I must start by making a few things clear. Number 1: I am not a big fan of Gladiator. I think it is a decent film but, personally believe that it is the worst film to have won Best Picture in recent memory. Even more depressing to me is that Russell Crowe one his Academy Award for this very straight forward performance and not for "The Insider" or "A Beautiful Mind." Number 2: I am a fan of Kingdom of Heaven. I think that this film (especially the masterful directors cut) is an exceptionally well filmed, scored, and acted period epic. I also was very impressed with the level of detail William Monahan and Ridley Scott went into while portraying this time frame. It manages to hit all the important parts of the history (while not completely accurate) and provide an engaging piece of entertainment that we can follow through to the end. Number 3: I had little desire to see another Robin Hood movie. There have been about 100 versions of the Robin Hood story told and they have all been the same.

So, this brings me to the new Robin Hood. This movie is a culmination of the quality of epic filmmaking Ridley Scott has come to deliver. He takes what he began in Gladiator and perfected in Kingdom of Heaven into the realm of a fictional 12th century fairy tale of sorts. I cannot tell you how well I feel this style serves this story. I felt like I was watching a piece of history just as much as any other historical epic I've seen. Films like this one tend to feel like a cliché. Most epics of this genre follow a pretty traditional set path that makes it feel grand but, familiar. This film, while traditional to an extent, does not follow the typically simple narrative structure. It expands upon this structure with the details and plot progression of a historical epic. As a matter of fact, if I didn’t know better than I could easily mistake this for a piece of real history. There is a good amount of detail on the differing political/economic opinions of the leaders and their subjects portrayed in this film. Especially when it comes down to taxation, land ownership, individual rights, and the way a King should govern his people. We see King Richard early on as a respected leader who values the opinions of his subjects. However, when he receives a bit of honesty (from Robin) he asks for but, does not wish to receive, he shackles all those involved. This does not come off as the harsh punishment of a bad man. It’s more complicated than that. I read in one of this sites negative reviews that this film was confusing. This is wrong and I believe most people are smarter than this. It is not confusing it is slightly complex. There are actually some ideas rolling around in this film that are given the opportunity to breathe but, not overwhelm the narrative. This is a difficult balancing act that is handled with much grace.

The film begins with an attack on a French town during the end of the last of King Richard’s crusades. Things do not go very well here for Richard or Robert Loxley. During an ambush Loxley is killed trying to return the crown and before he dies he asks Robin to return his sword to his father in Nottingham. So, Robin takes his identity and proceeds to return the crown and the sword. The sword bares an inscription that turns out to be a very important part of Robin’s past. With King Richard dead, the younger brother John is named King. He replaces many of the cabinet and sends his closest advisor out to collect taxes to pay for the kingdoms mounting debt. However, he does not know that his closest advisor is secretly working for the French. In Nottingham things are difficult because of clashes with the church over grain, missing men who have gone to war, and rampant taxation that is about to get worse under King John. Marianne does her best to keep the town together and fight off advances from the Sherriff who reminds her that her husband has been gone 10 years and is probably not coming back. When Robin arrives he finds out more about who he is and who he will become than he could have ever known. This all leads to action, romance, and epic encounters.

One of the most impressive things about this film is the way that it combines the bit of back story we know about Robin Hood into the plot while expanding the narrative in the ways I previously discussed. Robin, Marianne, Friar Tuck, King Richard, King John, Loxley, and many more are expanded from what we know to create a cast of characters that could have easily existed in 12th Century Europe. Little John, Will, and the Sherriff of Nottingham provide more comic relief than anything but, are also very well cast just the same. Taking this bit of well established fiction and giving it historical precedence like this has got to be hard. They have attempted a story about these characters a hundred times and never gotten this sort of reality based result. It always came off as fiction that was no more realistic than Peter Pan.

Everything in this film is more genuine than any other. This includes the convictions Robin lives by and the romance he finds himself in with Marianne. The casting of Cate Blanchett in this role was one of the best decisions anyone involved with this project made. She is such a fantastic actress that even when the film veers towards cliché she manages to steer it in the right direction. The same could also be said for Crowe. He makes Robin a man worth rooting for. His story is a story of self discovery surrounded by the difficult politics of the world surrounding the wars he has found himself in and he makes the discovery worth every minute. The two of them also have excellent chemistry that is allowed to build subtly instead of being pushed down our throat.

So, let’s get into the action and pacing. This is a summer film after all and we are supposed to be going to be entertained and not educated. We save that for December. You would think that with all the detail I described that this film would feel slow. You would be wrong. Unlike the Clash of the Titans, Robin’s journey is highly entertaining all the way through and never feels like it is slowing down for something unnecessary. I was just as entertained by the politics and romance as I was the rousing action sequences. This has much to do with the outstanding team of editors on this film, the great writing, and the gorgeous cinematography. When I say this is epic it really looks and feels it. As was stated in an earlier review, there is pretty much only action in the beginning and the end. However, this accounts for at least 45 minutes of the run time which is more action than The Dark Knight and Iron Man combined. Also, the more traditional vengeance narrative between Robin and the films villain, Godfrey (Mark Strong), is exceptionally satisfying and culminates in a final battle that was rewarding enough for me to stand up and clap (as did most of the 300 audience members with me). I honestly did not want to leave the theater when this film was over. I ended up staying through most of the credit sequence (which was actually kind of neatly done like the Scott Free logo).

Now, does this movie have some problems? Yes. I thought it got off to a bit of a rocky start. There are several plot points that veer towards cliché. And I have to say it felt a little strange when Marianne ends the film with a voice over after no voice over the entire film.

Are any of these things a big deal? Hell no! This film is a rousing summer blockbuster built with the quality we’ve come to expect out of our historical epics and seldom seen out of a fictional one. This is also the rare summer blockbuster that is not filled to the brim with visual effects. You would be hard pressed to find another of this caliber all summer long.

I am really looking forward to seeing Iron Man 2, Inception, and a few others but, I can honestly say that I am just as excited about taking my parents to go see this film. I think they are going to love it and I look forward to seeing it again myself come May 14th.
Nathan Ligon
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: EARLY REVIEW OF ROBIN HOOD

Postby Hermanator X on Wed May 12, 2010 7:00 am

Nathan Ligon wrote:3 1/2 stars out of 4.

Robin Hood is a fabulous piece of summer entertainment on the scale of the great historical epics.

I was lucky enough to enjoy an advanced screening Wednesday night at the Angelika Film Center in Dallas. I must start by making a few things clear. Number 1: I am not a big fan of Gladiator. I think it is a decent film but, personally believe that it is the worst film to have won Best Picture in recent memory. Even more depressing to me is that Russell Crowe one his Academy Award for this very straight forward performance and not for "The Insider" or "A Beautiful Mind." Number 2: I am a fan of Kingdom of Heaven. I think that this film (especially the masterful directors cut) is an exceptionally well filmed, scored, and acted period epic. I also was very impressed with the level of detail William Monahan and Ridley Scott went into while portraying this time frame. It manages to hit all the important parts of the history (while not completely accurate) and provide an engaging piece of entertainment that we can follow through to the end. Number 3: I had little desire to see another Robin Hood movie. There have been about 100 versions of the Robin Hood story told and they have all been the same. Number 4. FEED ME SEYMOUR!

Fixed. :twisted:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 12, 2010 8:37 am

Moriarty's review is pretty much what I was afraid of. It's not really a Robin Hood movie. It's Gladiator-lite.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 12, 2010 10:11 am

RogueScribner wrote:Moriarty's review is pretty much what I was afraid of. It's not really a Robin Hood movie. It's Gladiator-lite.

at least the trailer is an accurate representation of the film. the trailer looked like gladiator-lite, and that apparently is exactly what it is.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed May 12, 2010 10:25 am

TheBaxter wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Moriarty's review is pretty much what I was afraid of. It's not really a Robin Hood movie. It's Gladiator-lite.

at least the trailer is an accurate representation of the film. the trailer looked like gladiator-lite, and that apparently is exactly what it is.

I don't need any review(er) to tell me what is painfully obvious from those trailers. This movie looks like ass...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

I second (third? fourth? fifth?) the Gladiator-lite comments. I saw the trailer yesterday and found myself wondering why anyone would spend a large amount of money making this movie. Everything in the trailer looked like a rehash, not just of earlier movies, but of an earlier movie Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe had already themselves made. I was reminded of those lousy standup comedians who tell a joke and it gets a laugh, so they just repeat the punchline again, looking for the same laugh, only the second time it's not as funny.

It looked blah. I won't be seeing it until it's on TV for free.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 am

Hermanator X wrote:
Nathan Ligon wrote:3 1/2 stars out of 4.

I was lucky enough to enjoy an advanced screening Wednesday night at the Angelika Film Center in Dallas. I must start by making a few things clear. Number 1: I am not a big fan of Gladiator. I think it is a decent film but, personally believe that it is the worst film to have won Best Picture in recent memory. Even more depressing to me is that Russell Crowe one his Academy Award for this very straight forward performance and not for "The Insider" or "A Beautiful Mind." Number 2: I am a fan of Kingdom of Heaven. I think that this film (especially the masterful directors cut) is an exceptionally well filmed, scored, and acted period epic. I also was very impressed with the level of detail William Monahan and Ridley Scott went into while portraying this time frame. It manages to hit all the important parts of the history (while not completely accurate) and provide an engaging piece of entertainment that we can follow through to the end. Number 3: I had little desire to see another Robin Hood movie. There have been about 100 versions of the Robin Hood story told and they have all been the same. Number 4. FEED ME SEYMOUR!

Fixed. :twisted:

It was worth reading the Pl4nt's story just for Herms response.

Classic. I wet myself at work.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby minstrel on Wed May 12, 2010 11:45 am

Never trust a review in the Zone when that review is the author's first post. Especially when it seems to be constructed from phrases you normally see on the DVD box.
minstrel

Postby MacCready on Wed May 12, 2010 11:47 am

papalazeru wrote:Classic. I wet myself at work. Again

Fixed.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 13, 2010 6:50 pm

The film's not bad. It's just an hour or so too long and that kinda spoils it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 am

Does he ever say "Did you call me *turns dramatically* BLOB!?"

The movie's currently at 45% on Rotten Tomatoes.

But Kingdom of Heaven's at 39%.

And I'm pretty sure Kingdom of Heaven has its fair share of fans around here, so does that mean that Robin Hood is 6% better? 'cause I think KOH is one of Ridley Scott's best films.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MacCready on Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 am

The director's cut of KoH is excellent....so much for Rotten Tomatoes opinion.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 14, 2010 11:37 am

I don't think too many film reviewers reviewed the director's cut.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Fri May 14, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm so glad this movie finally came out so it can just bomb and go away already.

Tell me you're not sick of hearing: "I declare HIM...tobean OUUUUTTTLLLAAAAAWWWWW!!"

P.S. -- I just now looked at Quint's review on the main page. I take it he's tired of this trailer too.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 19, 2010 7:01 am

RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed May 19, 2010 9:28 am

buster00 wrote:I'm so glad this movie finally came out so it can just bomb and go away already.

Tell me you're not sick of hearing: "I declare HIM...tobean OUUUUTTTLLLAAAAAWWWWW!!"

P.S. -- I just now looked at Quint's review on the main page. I take it he's tired of this trailer too.

Have you actually seen the film, or just seen the trailer?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Thu May 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Good Christ, has anybody in here actually seen this film yet? No, seriously. I would like to get a first hand opinion from someone who's sat in the bleeding theatre and can give a coherent report before I toss my hard earned dinars down the loo. Anybody?

****crickets*****
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby minstrel on Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 pm

MacCready wrote:Good Christ, has anybody in here actually seen this film yet? No, seriously. I would like to get a first hand opinion from someone who's sat in the bleeding theatre and can give a coherent report before I toss my hard earned dinars down the loo. Anybody?

****crickets*****

We're all in the same boat you are. Maybe we need to start a fund we all contribute to, and we take turns "taking a bullet" for the Zone, buying our tickets for possibly-crappy movies with fund money.
minstrel

Postby MacCready on Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 pm

Oh well, what the hell. Send those donations to R. MacCready, Outpost 31, Antarctica. Do not send by dog sled, because I will shoot the little bastards.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby minstrel on Fri May 21, 2010 12:04 am

Is Outpost 31 equipped with a movie theater? One showing Robin Hood? If so, cool!
minstrel

Postby MacCready on Fri May 21, 2010 12:08 am

minstrel wrote:Is Outpost 31 equipped with a movie theater? One showing Robin Hood? If so, cool!

You should see what we've got growing in the greenhouse....McMurdo Gold, Marie Byrd Kind Bud and Weddell Sea Red.
Shit, you can watch the same reruns of Gilligan's Island all day and still laugh your ass off.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby minstrel on Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 am

MacCready wrote:You should see what we've got growing in the greenhouse....McMurdo Gold, Marie Byrd Kind Bud and Weddell Sea Red.
Shit, you can watch the same reruns of Gilligan's Island all day and still laugh your ass off.

Gilligan's Island must have you drooling down there. You're sitting there shivering in the ice at the south pole watching a show about a warm sunny tropical island ... and there are women there!
minstrel

Postby Hermanator X on Fri May 21, 2010 2:26 am

MacCready wrote:Good Christ, has anybody in here actually seen this film yet? No, seriously. I would like to get a first hand opinion from someone who's sat in the bleeding theatre and can give a coherent report before I toss my hard earned dinars down the loo. Anybody?

****crickets*****

Fried Gold wrote:Image

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Fri May 21, 2010 2:43 am

Fried Gold wrote:Image

Another pic could be made saying that the guy in front of Keamy still has his Luger from Band of Brothers.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MacCready on Sun May 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Robin Hood - a Report from Antarctica Base, Outpost 31.

This film as been getting ragged on a lot, and mostly by people who haven't bothered to see it. Is it Ridley Scott's finest hour? Naw. Is it bad? Hell no.
Okay smart ass, what's good about it?
Nobody does historical pieces better than RS. Nobody. On overall points, this certainly looks like 1199 Old Blighty. Score one for the director.
Whilst many have tried to pin this as Gladiator II, it isn't. When Scorese and Deniro did more than one film together, each project wasn't greeted as Taxi Driver II or III. I wish they'd have tried to make Robin look a bit less like Maximus, but they didn't so lets move on.
This isn't Errol Flynn's Robin Hood ( and thank the gods, because that hands-on-hips, tossing head back in hearty laughter whilst wearing tights shite is just too camp for me to take seriously), it could easily be something else; the Robin Hood story has a beginning, a middle and an end. In the beginning could be this film, because this film represents what precedes the Legend. Foreshadows the taking from the poofters and giving to the wankers. On the other end of the bookshelf, at the end of the story, sits Robin & Marian. Fill in what you like in between, but these bookends actually fit somewhat nicely together. For that purpose, this film serves very well. Were liberties taken with "the Legend"? Certainly. Would they effect the middle story all that much? The one we've yet to place between the book ends offered? Not really. These two films can actually co exist in the same verse, which is something that cannot be said for Flynn's Hood.
There were surprising flashes of humor here and there, some of them very good and the audience I was with thought so too. Robin's soon to be merry men were quite good - Scott Grimes ( who I first learned to appreciate in a Twilight Zone ep called Little Boy Lost) does Will Scarlet well enough; Kevin Durand ( Keamey to all you Losties) makes a fine Little John and Alan Doyle serves well for Allan A'Dayles.
Max Von Fucking Sydow. This guy is amazing. Just.....amazing. That's all I can say.
Did not know William Hurt was in this, but was delighted nonetheless.
I had my doubts about Cate Blanchett as Marian, and for the most part she overcame them. The relationship between her and Robin didn't get strained, didn't get rushed....it grew believably. It worked. I was surprised.
Danny Huston made a pretty solid Lionheart.
At first I was convinced the actress playing Isabella was the red head from Six Feet Under. I was wrong. But, I mean, damn. Sure looked like her.

What didn't work? The weird little Lost Boys subplot in Nottingham. Marian and the weird little Lost Boys showing up at what seemed to this viewer to be the wrong time and the wrong place and for no good reason. The running length was just too gods damned long. Otherwise? Can't think of any thing right now.
And the end credits were........odd. Didn't seem to fit the film we'd just seen.
On overall points I give RH a 7.8 of 10. I prefer Kingdom of Heaven. But I liked this well enough.

BRB - somethings up with the dogs.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 pm

I really enjoyed it. I heard a lot of negativity on this, but it's just as good as the Kingdom of Heaven DC. Maybe a smidgen below. It drug a bit in the middle, but that's my only real complaint. I found myself really liking this. Cinematography was gorgeous.

I wish the marketing would have been upfront with us. Just tell us this is the prequel to Robin Hood, don't call it Robin Hood. Call it something else, and call part two (judging from the end, it seemed like Scott really wanted to make this into a trilogy, or at least make one more that is a more "traditional" Hood story. I mean, the final title card at the end of the film, says, "So it begins," or something similar.) Hell, call the film ROBIN HOOD BEGINS. That's actually fitting. This sort of does to the Hood mythos what BEGINS did to Batman. Now I'm a bit sad that the film isn't doing that well at the box office because I'd really like another one.

And Macready, I thought that the whole Lost Boys in the woods subplot didn't make sense until the end, when it was clear this wasn't Robin Hood, but a legit prequel. I'm confident that they would have played a much larger role in the next film. I'm just sad now because I really enjoyed spending time with these characters. The "merry men" had a true sense of merriment and camaraderie. There were some great action scenes. The relationships, between Robin and Marion, as well as among the men, seemed real.

I say go see it.

I give it 8/10.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MacCready on Mon May 24, 2010 12:20 am

I just don't see what relevance they had to the story from any angle, let alone the Robin Hood story. They just become a convenient way to get Marian out of a jam when things got hairy, then showing up on shetlands to face real soldiers? The French are bad, but back then they weren't THAT incompetent that one of their professional soldiers could be beaten in battle by a child. It just didn't fit, and Marian being there at the climatic battle was baffling. None of that tracked for me, but I found them to be minor quibbles when, over all, I got what Ridley was up to and think he executed it in fine, if over long, fashion.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 am

MacCready wrote:I just don't see what relevance they had to the story from any angle, let alone the Robin Hood story. They just become a convenient way to get Marian out of a jam when things got hairy, then showing up on shetlands to face real soldiers? The French are bad, but back then they weren't THAT incompetent that one of their professional soldiers could be beaten in battle by a child. It just didn't fit, and Marian being there at the climatic battle was baffling. None of that tracked for me, but I found them to be minor quibbles when, over all, I got what Ridley was up to and think he executed it in fine, if over long, fashion.

Unless I was way off, it was my understanding that those would eventually be the fabled "Merry Men" from Sherwood forest (other than the main characters, obviously), or whatever, who rob from the rich and give to the poor, if we were ever to get that film. You know, the more traditional style Robin Hood Merry Men who ambush people in the forests and build tree houses, etc. It was only hinted at here.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 24, 2010 1:24 am

minstrel wrote:Maybe we need to start a fund we all contribute to, and we take turns "taking a bullet" for the Zone, buying our tickets for possibly-crappy movies with fund money.

I have a PayPal account for just such an occasion. I figure you give me about 30 dollars per movie, for tickets and soda and such, and I'll see it, eventually. Maybe not for a few weeks... or a few months... actually I might not even see it, but I'd still really like your money.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MacCready on Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
MacCready wrote:I just don't see what relevance they had to the story from any angle, let alone the Robin Hood story. They just become a convenient way to get Marian out of a jam when things got hairy, then showing up on shetlands to face real soldiers? The French are bad, but back then they weren't THAT incompetent that one of their professional soldiers could be beaten in battle by a child. It just didn't fit, and Marian being there at the climatic battle was baffling. None of that tracked for me, but I found them to be minor quibbles when, over all, I got what Ridley was up to and think he executed it in fine, if over long, fashion.

Unless I was way off, it was my understanding that those would eventually be the fabled "Merry Men" from Sherwood forest (other than the main characters, obviously), or whatever, who rob from the rich and give to the poor, if we were ever to get that film. You know, the more traditional style Robin Hood Merry Men who ambush people in the forests and build tree houses, etc. It was only hinted at here.

I can buy that.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 am

Ribbons wrote:
minstrel wrote:Maybe we need to start a fund we all contribute to, and we take turns "taking a bullet" for the Zone, buying our tickets for possibly-crappy movies with fund money.

I have a PayPal account for just such an occasion. I figure you give me about 30 dollars per movie, for tickets and soda and such, and I'll see it, eventually. Maybe not for a few weeks... or a few months... actually I might not even see it, but I'd still really like your money.

I think you guys owe money for watching Clash of the Titans 3D.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

I think you guys owe money for watching Clash of the Titans 3D.

the check is in the mail......

and fy, i will kick your ass in Connect Four, anytime, anyplace.......just sayin' :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Peven wrote:and fy, i will kick your ass in Connect Four, anytime, anyplace.......just sayin' :wink:

but what about in Connect Four Million?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon May 24, 2010 12:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:and fy, i will kick your ass in Connect Four, anytime, anyplace.......just sayin' :wink:

games take too long to play...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Mon May 24, 2010 1:08 pm

I looked up this "Connect Four" on wikipedia because I didn't know what it was. Turns out it's a game. According to wiki, it's been solved mathematically, so playing it is as meaningless as playing tic-tac-toe. There's an algorithm. There's probably an iPhone app that plays better than you guys can. If not, there should be.

And BTW, this should be in the Connect Four thread. If there isn't a Connect Four thread, well, there might be a reason for that.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm

you need to change your name to Buzzkill......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Mon May 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Peven wrote:you need to change your name to Buzzkill......

You need to challenge people to better games!
:wink:
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

games take too long to play...

well, when you've got centuries of time to kill, it's not so bad.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion