JUSTICE LEAGUE

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

JUSTICE LEAGUE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:48 am

Holy crap.

So apparently, WB has hired screenwriters to begin work on bringing the JLA to the big screen. I hope this happens and I hope it is as kick ass as it should be. I would like to see them establish Wonder Woman, The Flash, GL, and other characters in solo films first...but seriously how can I complain about a potential JLA flick?!!?!?!??!?!!

Who would you like to see in a JLA film? What heroes? What villains? What storyline?

First, news of Marvel working on an Avengers flick...now this?
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:50 am

It won't have Batman or Superman in it. I'm guessing it'll have pretty much the same JL members as that Smallville episode.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:53 am

Fried Gold wrote:It won't have Batman or Superman in it. I'm guessing it'll have pretty much the same JL members as that Smallville episode.

Don't you dare ruin my dream!!

I see no problem with them re-casting Batman and Superman. As long as the films do not come out concurrent with the solo films. This can exist in its own timeline. Not ignoring the solo films...just not referencing them.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:55 am

What's interesting is that this news almost immediately follows that crash of The Flash and Wonder Woman over at the WB. I wonder if they're not thinking that the best way to establish these characters would be to introduce them in a Justice League movie and spin them off rather than the other way around. I'm not so sure, though.

Then again, it would be cool to see Green Arrow and Martian Manhunter get a little love.
Last edited by Ribbons on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:55 am

I dunno. This is KINDA cool news, but frankly I have already seen what I would consider the definitive version of the Justice League on the animated show. I have a hard time imagining a movie doing better than that. It could DEFINITELY be cool though if they don't fucktard it up.

My roster:

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Zatanna, Martian Manhunter, and because I just don't feel the team has enough fishnet: Black Canary.

edit: Ooops, screw Martian Manhunter, replace him with Flash.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:59 am

Ribbons wrote:What's interesting is that this news almost immediately follows that crash of The Flash and Wonder Woman over at the WB. I wonder if they're not thinking that the best way to establish these characters would be to introduce them in a Justice League movie and spin them off rather than the other way around. I'm not so sure, though.

Yeah. I remember when Marvel announced the Avengers film they made it a point to say they wanted to wait until after Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor had come out.

DC had Batman and Superman established...but I think a JLA movie could definitely establish GL and The Flash as characters worth having their own film. Superman and Batman will bring in people to the theatres and once they see how cool these other characters are...the popularity will be there to make them financially viable.

The key to a JLA fim is to be precise with your budget. It will cost a lot of money so there can be none wasted.

I demand that James Cameron drop what he is doing and make this happen. I demand it!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:01 am

I can't wait for the eventual release of MARVEL VS. DC in 2027. The scene where Prof. X mind controls Green Arrow to shoot Superman in the heart with a kryptonite tipped trick arrow is supposed to be heartwrenching.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:04 am

I'm more MARVEL-oriented I admit - but I'd still like to see this movie.

It might be a good thing if it didn't have Supes or Bats in it, from a wider audience perspective? For me, for example, if The Big Two were in it, I wouldn't be able but to focus on them - and I bet the writers and director would face the same temptation.

I think it would be cool to see the others given more of a frontline role. From what little I've hard about him Martian Manhunter sounds cool. Fishnets are a plus of course, so plenty of those please. Green Arrow, Green Lantern and The Flash are all characters that could carry the film just as well as Batman and Superman.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:05 am

Holy shit you guys, I forgot about Blue Beetle!
Last edited by Ribbons on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:06 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I can't wait for the eventual release of MARVEL VS. DC in 2027. The scene where Prof. X mind controls Green Arrow to shoot Superman in the heart with a kryptonite tipped trick arrow is supposed to be heartwrenching.

That made me chuckle.

I agree with your point about the JLA animated show. That nailed the relationships and the importance of having the JLA present. They got to tell interesting stories and really flesh out each character.

A JLA film will have a hard time doing all that in 2 hours. Even 3 hours might not be enough time. Unless, of course, the characters are already established in other films.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:08 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:It won't have Batman or Superman in it. I'm guessing it'll have pretty much the same JL members as that Smallville episode.

Don't you dare ruin my dream!!

I see no problem with them re-casting Batman and Superman. As long as the films do not come out concurrent with the solo films. This can exist in its own timeline. Not ignoring the solo films...just not referencing them.

I'd want to see Supes and Bats in a Justice League film. Especially seeing the two current movie versions colliding. But I simply can't see it happening.

However, ensemble films do seem to be quite plausible at the moment.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:08 am

Ribbons wrote:Holy shit you guys, I forgot about Blue Beetle!

Well he never forgot about you Ribbons. Not for one second... but seriously? Why? I know he's fun for comic fans, but I can't imagine him ever being in a movie of anything. Especially now that he's dead.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 am

Ribbons wrote:Holy shit you guys, I forgot about Blue Beetle!

You know that if Blue Beetle were present....he would be killed.

DC/WB hates Giffen's Justice League that much. It isn't enough to kill Ted Kord in comics...they must also do it in film.

They will probably insert Ambush Bug in there as well just so they can kill him.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:29 am

Donna forget... the WB, they gotta the deep pockets anna they do tend a to have a the respect for a the tradition anna history of a their characters, eh?

EDIT: I said a they "tend" to... let's a not even a talk about a the Space Jam, eh?

Anna also, this is a the studio that's a gonna to produce alla 7 of a the Harry Potter films with a the inna'tentions of a using the same cast for a the continuity... barring a the deaths of a the actors (R.I.P. Richard Harris).

I would a not a put it past a them to atta least broach a the subject of a the ensemble film with a the Bale anna Routh....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:31 am

It makes sense that WB would keep Superman and Batman away from this movie. Maybe they'll be mentioned, but won't be the power players in the group. Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter . . . there's still plenty of punch left in that group. Green Lantern could be the de facto leader until Wonder Woman arrives. Or whatever. Could be interesting. It could also be Fantastic Four so I guess we'll see.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:33 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Donna forget... the WB, they gotta the deep pockets anna they do tend a to have a the respect for a the tradition anna history of a their characters, eh?

EDIT: I said a they "tend" to... let's a not even a talk about a the Space Jam, eh?

I don't know - I think Space Jam handled the whole history and traditions of Michael Jordan quite well actually...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby LaDracul on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 pm

Hmm...is this live-action or animated?
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Like the Avengers movie, this one's going to be made up of second-stringers with one or two "B+" heroes. I saw the lineup will look like this:

Martian Manhunter
Hawkman
The Atom
Black Canary
Green Arrow
Elongated Man

...and we'll probably get Green Lantern of Flash as well, depending on the status of their solo projects.

Could be much fun as the excuse to finally cut free and give us MASSIVE superhero action against invading alien hordes.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 pm

I've always preferred Marvel. The heroes tend to have better names, for one thing. Thor, for example, is an actual name. Martian Manhunter is a job description.

Elongated Man? Who thought THAT rolled off the tongue easily, huh? Sheesh.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Yeah, I'm a Marvel guy too. I collected Batman and Superman when I was a kid, but I never connected with them the way I did Spider-Man and X-Men. Still love some of the DC characters, but I never found that universe all that inviting.

Regardless, this and the Avengers could be fun just for the sheer scope of it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:55 pm

minstrel wrote:Elongated Man? Who thought THAT rolled off the tongue easily, huh? Sheesh.

Aw come on, eh? How many of a you little bambino putzes improved a your vocabulary when a you hadda to look a that one uppa inna the dictionary, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:57 pm

But the real question is, who would win between Justice League VS. The Jedi...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:07 pm

I think keeping the two biggest names in DC comics out of the group that they are part of is... a bad idea. To be VERY gentle about it. I'm not even a fan of the comic, to be honest. But as a comic book fan in general, if I were to sit down in a theater to watch this, just knowing those two SHOULD be there and having them AWOL would really piss me off.

Besides, I'm gonna guess that just the idea of Superman and Batman appearing in the same film would put asses in seats. Even if it were just cameo appearances that were more than a glimpse, like a small scene where they actually do something important, that would be nice. And cameos would make for a far greater chance that Bale and Routh would do it I think.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Sorry Timm and company have already made the definitive Justice League on tv or film.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Fawst wrote:And cameos would make for a far greater chance that Bale and Routh would do it I think.

Elongated Man: Hey, Superman... you wanna to join our a club, eh?

Superman: Meh.

Aaaaaand SCENE!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:12 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Fawst wrote:And cameos would make for a far greater chance that Bale and Routh would do it I think.

Aaaaaand SCENE!

And then they could quickly intercut the scene in Batman and Nipples where Batman says: "This is why Superman works alone..."

Shoot it!
Print it!
Inna the can!

Middle-aged School Baby!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:27 pm

havocSchultz wrote:But the real question is, who would win between Justice League VS. The Jedi...?

B4NN3D!!!!!!!!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:35 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Aaaaaand SCENE!

Fawst wrote:Even if it were just cameo appearances that were more than a glimpse, like a small scene where they actually do something important, that would be nice.

Fungularigatsa!

Hukd awn fawnix werkd 4 me!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:52 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:But the real question is, who would win between Justice League VS. The Jedi...?

B4NN3D!!!!!!!!

So Justice League it is then...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:58 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

B4NN3D!!!!!!!!

:lol:

No way I'm getting into this with Kirk on Zoner Holiday. He's my secret jedi weapon.

For the record, dammit, if they are going to do a JLA movie I say they must do it right! Superman and Batman as full-fledged characters or I'm not going!!!!!

I feel the same way about the Avengers film. If we get MW's Projected Lineup (and I fear he's very right about that) i'm boycotting.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:02 pm

I agree on Superman and Batman but only I they don't take away to much of the focus from the characters that don't have their own franchises..
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:03 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

B4NN3D!!!!!!!!

:lol:

No way I'm getting into this with Kirk on Zoner Holiday. He's my secret jedi weapon.

For the record, dammit, if they are going to do a JLA movie I say they must do it right! Superman and Batman as full-fledged characters or I'm not going!!!!!

I feel the same way about the Avengers film. If we get MW's Projected Lineup (and I fear he's very right about that) i'm boycotting.

I thought Kirk was on Doc Holliday...

And if they go with some of these proposed/speculated line-ups - what's the point really...?

Comic readers will know who these characters are - but for the most part - the masses will just think it's a bunch of Superheroes created for these films...

They'll think it's an X-Men clone where a team of heroes battles a team of villains...

It'll still be nice to see what they do with this one (and The Avengers - which will more than likely confuse people into thinking it's a remake of the movie that was an update of the TV show...) But I have the feeling that by having mostly "throw-away" and/or "No Name" heroes - that the majortiy of the movie-going public will just write it off as another attempt to make "some kinda super hero" movie...

But you never know...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:05 pm

Al_Shut wrote:I agree on Superman and Batman but only I they don't take away to much of the focus from the characters that don't have their own franchises..

I agree with you there. They are such high profile characters that even in the comic they take a way some of the spotlight, and I would expect that, but it can't be simply a Batman/Superman buddy movie. The film I want to see is a film with the heavy hitters working as a TEAM.

I'm sure that's the film most people want to see, and it's a pipe dream, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Seriously though, I think a bitchin' movie can still be made with B-list JL'ers and Avengers. Using characters that aren't as well-known would give you the freedom to really take some chances, to fuck some shit up.

I don't have faith that anything good will come of this, but I say it most definitely has the potential.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:20 pm

they should make early 90's justice league... booster gold, blue beetle, guy gardner...
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:11 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:It could DEFINITELY be cool though if they don't fucktard it up.

Ahh the number of times I've thought those exact words and then walk out of the theater muttering, "Stupid fucktards..."

On a somewhat lesser note, what UP Pasadena.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby SilentBobX on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:57 pm

If I had my way, I'd MUCH prefer a decent Crisis On Infinite Earths animated JLU film. 4 superpowered characters in Fantastic Four along with Silver Surfer is one thing. But the Justice League, imho is just too much of an undertaking, and I feel it would collapse under the weight of the effects required, sending the cost skyrocketing.

Superman reportedly cost what? 200 million? And they want to make a live action Justice League movie also? Something tells me that the whole concept as live action is too cost prohibitive.

And one thing that's forgotten in all of this is who the villain(s) will be. The Legion of Doom? Spacey's Lex Luthor and some ultimate powered cosmic device?

I'm not gonna get all hyped up for this until I see either some still photos that aren't George Clooney's head on a Superman body or ditto with Charisma Carpenter/Wonder Woman. Or a trailer.

Sorry to say but I'm skeptical. Something this big would be nice if done correctly ala X-Men, but I just don't see it happening. Let's not forget, the vast majority of these characters have been supposedly well on their way to being made movies(Just like Wonder Woman, which we'll get aaaaaaany day now right? Right?) only to fall apart at the script stage, or get 'frozen' in the pipeline.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:47 pm

Yeah, there is definitely a monumental shift going on behind the scenes at WB. First Wonder Woman then Flash, and now this news. They're fundamentally rethinking a lot of things and I don't think this is the last big news we're going to hear as far as that goes.

I just hope Ray Palmer gets some screen time. I mean I guess this is the only way in hell we'd get to see The Atom in a live action movie, so whoo hoo.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Bluebottle wrote:they should make early 90's justice league... booster gold, blue beetle, guy gardner...

...g'nort...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:12 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:they should make early 90's justice league... booster gold, blue beetle, guy gardner...

...g'nort...

Gesundheit
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:19 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Gesundheit

Don't remember him/her. Must've came after I stopped reading Justice League. What were there powers? Sounds like some kind of Germanic hero...
instant_karma

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:38 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:It could DEFINITELY be cool though if they don't fucktard it up.

Ahh the number of times I've thought those exact words and then walk out of the theater muttering, "Stupid fucktards..."

que?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 pm

It will never be as good as my Green Lantern flick.

But I guess I'm just partial.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:41 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:

que?

Pasadena representin...

....i feel sheepish
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Al Shut on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Watching the Justice League Cartoon this morning reminded me what I really want to see on the big screen.

What's the name of the cowboy on the scooter again?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:17 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
What's the name of the cowboy on the scooter again?

That would be Vigilante. The 1940's version.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby davebot on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:06 pm

with the inclusion of many un(film)developed characters you need some
introduction time which IMHO results in these type of films to look
cheesily like bad television. With at least the exclusion of Batman Begins that is. This would need to be handled delicately or heavy handed, script
dependent. Unique in other words. Ass kicking - required. Character development - required. Batman and Supes - deus ex machina. We need to be able to care about these characters in less than 30minutes of
screen time. And it would be an origin story. So where does that start?
Two logical places: outer space and the green lantern people send a ring to earth; with diana called to respond after some scenes of her "coming of age" or some crap ceremony. I mean she's royalty right? Excuse my ignorance, but what was the origin for the flash?

also if tarantino did it = total badassness. He would know how to bring the necessary weight to our heroes. Where most others dialogue falls
short, his is legendary. I.E we love most star wars even though a lot of
the dialogue is weak.
davebot
GLIB

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Mark Waid wrote a JLA: Year One series a few years back, focusing on Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, J'onn J'onzz, and Black Canary. I'm betting on that lineup.

That is, presuming they ever get it off the ground at all.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Al_Shut wrote:What's the name of the cowboy on the scooter again?

He had a scooter? NICE!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby instant_karma on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:14 pm

buster00 wrote:Mark Waid wrote a JLA: Year One series a few years back, focusing on Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, J'onn J'onzz, and Black Canary. I'm betting on that lineup.

That is, presuming they ever get it off the ground at all.

Would that include the bit with them being turned into trees?

I dunno...
instant_karma

Next

Return to Movie News