JUSTICE LEAGUE

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:14 am

Producer Dan Lin on the JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie, SUICIDE SQUAD, and Stephen King’s IT
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:When I asked about Justice League, Lin confirmed what we all knew: its on-hold right now. He also said “it seems like they’re (Warner Bros.) building to Justice League instead of going with the team movie first and doing individual movies after that.”

He also confirmed what I’d been hearing about WB’s plans for their DC superhero movies and that’s “they’re unveiling their DC strategy in January”. Meaning, we’re probably going to hear what other DC characters are getting movies very soon!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:45 pm

From IESB:
Superman Returns Christmas 2012
Jamie Williams wrote:Oh and one more thing. Remember back in February when we reported on those rumblings that WB and DC Entertainment were inching one step closer to a Justice League movie? People were rightfully pointing to a quote Nolan gave to the Los Angeles Times regarding how the characters lived in separate cinematic worlds.

Here's the actual text from the article with Chris' quote to be exact:

"A lot of people have approached Superman in a lot of different ways. I only know the way that has worked for us that’s what I know how to do,” Nolan said, emphasizing the idea that Batman exists in a world where he is the only superhero and a similar approach to the Man of Steel would assure the integrity needed for the film. “Each serves to the internal logic of the story. They have nothing to do with each other."

That is true – partially, at least. Our sources are telling us there is a chronology in play with these movies. Batman Begins is being specifically referred to as "Action Comics #1." Translation: Nolan's Batman is the first (and only) superhero around. During Batman Begins that is. As well as The Dark Knight that is going by "Action Comics #2."

What would be the third "issue," you ask? Martin Campbell's Green Lantern. In fact, there are still on-going talks to make references to Gotham City if not Batman himself. And although Superman himself isn't around just yet in this time-line, Clark Kent does exist in Smallville - the fictional town in Kansas, not the television series. You just know somebody is going make that assumption. At the moment, that's where the "comic series" stops.

So for you good folks saying how Batman (as played by Christian Bale) couldn't co-exist with Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern and whatever no-name actor cast as the next Superman, WB/DC are hard at work to make it all make sense.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 pm

From Hero Complex:
Justice League, the movie? Warner chief sets sights on team-up film and ‘reinventing’ Batman
Ben Fritz sat down with top Warner Bros. executive Jeff Robinov for a profile piece that ran Tuesday in the Los Angeles Times Business section. Fritz also brought back this Hero Complex report on the future of key DC Comics properties at the studio.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE 2013

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 pm

From Motion Captured:
Rumors persist about a 'Justice League' in 2013 and now a 'Batman' reboot as well?

Is there really a 'Justice League' film happening in 2013?
Drew McWeeny wrote:A major industry newspaper starts a crazy rumor... but is it possible it's true?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:54 pm

From Variety:
WB says F** You Alan Horn hires writer for 'Justice League'.

From vulture:
Can Disney's New Chief Bring Back Its Mojo?
Claude Brodesser-Akner wrote:
For 40 days and 40 nights, Disney has sought a chairman for its once-vaunted studio, and just now, news comes that’s it’s found one in former Warner Bros. chairman Alan Horn.

To outsiders, this might seem like the usual Hollywood shuffle: studio becomes bomb factory, fires chief, finds new one. But there’s a larger issue confronting Disney — namely, the looming irrelevance and death of the Disney brand in film — and from the choice of Horn, it’s hard to tell just what Disney hopes to accomplish.

Horn will oversee “worldwide operations for The Walt Disney Studios including production, distribution and marketing for live-action and animated films from Disney, Pixar and Marvel, as well as marketing and distribution for DreamWorks Studios films released under the Touchstone Pictures banner.” Disney’s music and theatrical divisions report to him, too.

That may sound like a lot, but the reality is that the Disney studio is a shell of its former self: It has opened just five films so far this year, and one of them was a rerelease of Beauty and the Beast designed to milk a little extra 3-D cash out of those kiddos who were just gleams in their parents eyes back in 1991. Another two films Disney released were notable not just for their extremes but for their sources: The highest-grossing film of the year so far (The Avengers) came from Marvel, not Disney, while the biggest money-loser of the year (John Carter), unfortunately, did.

As one former studio president turned producer put it to Vulture, “The crisis at Disney is that [Walt Disney Company CEO] Bob Iger doesn’t want to make movies.” By comparison, in a 2010 interview with Deadline Hollywood, Horn professed a preference for releasing at least two dozen films a year.

There is no question that his track record at developing, making, marketing, and releasing big movies at Warner Bros. is sterling. Horn, as Disney’s press release rightly touts, is “responsible for some of the world’s most successful entertainment properties including the Harry Potter film franchise and the hit television series Seinfeld among others.” In his dozen years there, Warner Bros. was the global box-office leader seven times.

Even more, Horn’s Warner Bros. became known as the home of the popcorn auteur, if such a thing can be said to exist: Christopher Nolan made both The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception at Warner Bros. Ben Affleck made The Town. Scorsese made The Aviator, The Departed, and Shutter Island. Clint Eastwood made Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, and Gran Torino. And let us not forget the then–Wachowski Brothers’ Matrix films.

But it’s also what Horn didn’t do at Warner Bros. that might give a brand-obsessed (first the Muppets, then Pixar, then Marvel) portfolio manager like Disney’s Bob Iger pause: He didn’t resuscitate the retinue of Warner Bros.’ Looney Toons characters, which are arguably some of the most iconic in the business — Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, et al. — yet are fading fast.

And for all the billions in grosses amassed by the Harry Potter franchise, the property is still viewed internally at Time Warner as a merchandising disappointment: Apparently, we Muggles don’t crave toy wands as much as we do comic book action figures.

Also, unlike Marvel, which artfully spun characters like Iron Man, the Hulk, and Captain America into a juggernaut mega-ensemble franchise like The Avengers, DC’s stable of characters have been left moldering for decades. When they have been pulled out of the toy chest, it has been with mixed results (save for Nolan’s take on the Batman franchise) and then, without a larger, guiding vision for the label. Indeed, the studio lost half the copyright on Superman to the estate of one of its co-creators for lack of development and very nearly lost the other half, just starting production on Man of Steel just in time to beat the legal deadline. This will not fly at Disney, the world’s largest consumer-products company.

Such dormancy leaves one former studio head turned producer without access to such venerated intellectual property baffled at the lack of strange anti-synergy that defined Horn’s time at Warner Bros. “A Justice League movie starring all the iconic DC Comics characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Flash? It would make The Avengers look like My Dinner With Andre.”

In the months that follow, we’ll see if Iger has authorized Horn to do what he does best — bring great filmmakers to work, regardless of the source material — or whether he’ll be kept to duties as a highly paid traffic cop whose job it is to oversee the making of the studios annual Marvel, Pixar, Muppets, and theme-park-ride-inspired films, while Mickey Mouse looks sadly on, gathering dust.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 pm

WB eyeing Ben Affleck to direct 'Justice League'
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111805 ... ?cmpid=RSS
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:53 pm

I can't say with certainty that this news is positive. Affleck to me is just earning his cred as a director and to hand him something like this would just be disastrous, imho. Right now, he's doing good making smaller, solid films(I do want to see Argo) and needs to keep at this pace. To just jump into blockbusters now would just focus the attention on him instead of what really would sell this: The story. Personally, I don't think he'll do it anyway.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 pm

have to make the step up sometime, no one thought Peter Jackson could pull off LOTR because he hadn't made any "big" movies prior and just look what he was able to do, I think Affleck has plenty of experience in the industry and won't be overwhelmed, I see this as potentially very good news

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 am

If Affleck does Justice League, it will be immediately compared to Avengers and he will be compared to Joss Whedon. Affleck won't come out of that looking good unless Justice League has miraculous box office. If that's okay with him, then fine. But he's going to be very careful, I think, in making this decision and in making the movie itself.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 am

Call me crazy but I'd really like to see Ben Affleck's Justice League. I don't necessarily think he's the best man for the job, and I do NOT think he should star in it (something mentioned in main site story) but I think he could pull it off in a very cool way.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:16 am

I don't know why people are reacting this way to the idea of Affleck directing a big superhero movie. I think it's just because of Affleck's baggage as an actor.

This choice of director is prettymuch par for the course. When producers scout directors to helm big "franchises", they usually look for directors who have succeeded in smaller films and for whom this gig would be a big step up in terms of budget and scope etc. I'm pretty sure producers do this so they can have more control over the film. They don't want to fight the clout and vision of a Hollywood big shot. Every superhero movie I can think of fits this mold. Donner, Nolan, Raimi, that douchebag who made 500 DAYS OF SUMMER, Bryan Singer, Zac Snyder etc. None of these guys were Hollywood heavyweights when they first got to helm big superhero movies.

Didn't they reject James Cameron for Spiderman in favour of Sam Raimi? I mean, I like Raimi and all, but Cameron is a Midas cash register. The only reason you'd reject him is because you didn't want to fight his ego and his clout on creative issues.

James Bond is probably got the longest list of top notch directors who have expressed interest in doing a Bond film and been rejected because the producers want to control the movie.

So I don't really find this odd.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:58 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 am

Rebooted Batman to Debut in JUSTICE LEAGUE?
Jett wrote:I received a bit of intel here recently that involves the Batman on film reboot and the inevitable JUSTICE LEAGUE film.

It’s looking as a live-action JUSTICE LEAGUE film -- the one currently being penned by Will Beall for Warner Bros. -- just might be the studio’s first big, DC Comics-based tent pole movie after 2013’s MAN OF STEEL. This JL film would, possibly, hit theaters Summer 2015. So, exactly WHAT does this have to do with BATMAN REBOOTED? Read on…

Said reboot will come after the JL film, not before. Therefore, the new cinematic Batman will be introduced in the JL film as opposed to a solo film. This would, according to my industry "FOBOF," assure the new Batman film series will be part of a "DC Cinematic Universe."

Keep in mind that this is based on industry scuttlebutt, so take it with a grain of salt. However, if indeed true (And this FOBOF is solid as they come, trust me!) this is not good news for the solo Batman franchise in my opinion. I’d like the next director of the rebooted cinematic Batman to have more creative control over the character -- something that’s not likely to happen of this scenario plays out.

I have some very strong opinions about this that I shall reserve for an op-ed piece in the near future.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:06 pm

'Justice League' aims for summer 2015 after Superman victory
Ben Fritz wrote:DC Comics' superheroes can finally team up on the big screen following yesterday's legal victory for Warner Bros. in its long-running fight over the rights to Superman.

The studio is expected to accelerate development of a planned "Justice League" movie that would join Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and other characters, according to a knowledgeable person not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Warner hopes to shoot the film next year and release it in the summer of 2015. The studio already has a "Justice League" script in the works. Next it needs to attach a director and then cast the lead roles.

Had Warner lost its case against the heirs of Superman co-creator Joe Shuster, it would not have been able to make "Justice League" or any other movies, television shows or comics featuring key elements of the Man of Steel's mythos after 2013 unless it reached a new agreement with the estates of Shuster and co-creator Jerry Siegel.

That uncertainty made it difficult for Warner to move ahead with "Justice League," which the studio's motion pictures group president, Jeff Robinov, has long wanted to make as a pillar of its big-screen superhero strategy.

Robinov previously tried unsuccessfully to convince "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan to produce "Justice League." Nolan is producing next year's Superman movie "Man of Steel." Wednesday's court victory also makes it possible for Warner to make sequels to "Man of Steel" if the picture is successful.

With "Green Lantern" flopping and other movies featuring the Flash and Wonder Woman lingering in development, Warner has lagged behind Walt Disney Co.'s Marvel Studios in profiting from cinematic superheroes. Only Nolan's blockbuster Batman movie trilogy has succeeded for the Burbank studio.

The studio's plan is to spin out other superheroes into their own movies following "Justice League." That's contrary to Marvel's successful strategy of teaming up Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Captain America in "Avengers" (which became a global blockbuster) after each character had his own film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Man Of Steel Will “Keep Things On Course” For Justice League Movie
Brendon Connelly wrote:We’re months out from the release of Man of Steel but director Zack Snyder seems to be doing more and more interviews of late. Perhaps Warner Bros. are trying to build buzz ahead of the imminent full-length trailer.

The latest Snyder chat is with The NY Post, and figures in a lot of the usual business. There’s discussion of the suit, and of Henry Cavill getting in shape to wear it; there’s a certain amount about making this a new, fresh take on the character; and then there’s some intriguing business about Warner Bros.’ bigger superhero movie canvas.

Snyder says:
I don’t know how Justice League is going to be handled. Honestly, I don’t, but The Man of Steel exists, and Superman is in it. I don’t know how you’d move forward without acknowledging that.

So he’s then asked if he had any conversations with Warner Bros. about integrating his Superman into “a larger superhero universe,” and so he goes on:
Um, how can I answer that? I can’t really say anything to that, because that’s a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.

And there you have it. Sounds to me like Warner Bros. want Man of Steel to provide a Superman that will not only work in his own picture but will also work in their Justice League movie too. As expected, to be honest.

Incidentally, the same article says that Cavill is signed on for three films, but whether that would include Justice League or not isn’t clear. By comparison, those nine-movie Marvel deals do seem so much more sensible, once again.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 am

From Motion Captured:
Exclusive: Is Joseph Gordon-Levitt already set to play Batman in 'Justice League'?
Moriarty wrote:Warner Bros. appears to be firming up their plans for the future of the character
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE ANTI-LIFE EQUATION

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:35 am

From Latino Review:
EXCLUSIVE: We Know Who The Bad Guy Is In ‘JUSTICE LEAGUE’
Mayimbe here…

So back in October, Ben Fritz over at the L.A. Times reported that Warner Bros is running full steam ahead with getting a Justice League movie on the big screen by summer 2015.

As of this morning, the search is still ongoing for a director and subject to how Man Of Steel performs, shooting should get underway next year. Now in case you been living under a rock the past year, everybody else knows that Marvel is dropping the sequel to The Avengers that summer as well. That is some pretty stiff competition.

In this corner we got Earth’s Mightiest Heroes going up against Thanos the Mad Titan. How will Warners respond? Just WHO will the Justice League face off against?

Not a Titan, but a GOD!

After some persistent snooping, we have exclusively learned that the main baddie is none other than…

…DARKSEID!

Yes folks, Darkseid. The supreme monarch of the planet Apokolips and the greatest threat to the DC Universe.

It’s kind of obvious if you really think about it. I mean for Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and others to come together in a summer tentpole movie to face a threat, well, that threat better be planetary. Who were you expecting? Lex Luthor?

Now I’m not going to go into the whole Darkseid wiki backstory because there are other writers out there who can give you way better context on the super villain than I could. Quite frankly, the only experience I have with Darkseid is when Michael Ironside voiced him on Superman: The Animated Series. Remember when Darkseid killed Ben Turpin with his Omega Beams?

Anyway, there you have it folks. Bank on Darkseid raising all sorts of hell for the Justice League. Now as long as Darkseid doesn’t bring the members his corny entourage like Granny Goodness, then we are all good.

In fact, the following picture pretty much sums up Summer 2015.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Can Warner Brothers solve THE ANTI-LIFE EQUATION?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:08 am

From Motion Captured:
'Justice League' finds a villain as Warner keeps aping Marvel's playbook - Is it really as simple as 'do whatever 'The Avengers' did'?
Moriarty wrote:I have a serious question for the team that Warner Bros. is putting together on what will no doubt be one of their biggest films of 2015: do you really want to spend the next two and a half year basically riding Marvel's tail, imitating every move they make, or do you want to start building a stand-alone film universe in which you can do almost anything?

I ask because right now, Warner Bros. is setting itself up for a fall. They are making choices that look from the outside to be made out of a kind of corporate fear instead of setting the stage for themselves in a way that will both excite fans and invite in new viewers. They are dealing with several different factors that seem to be causing this potentially-costly poor decision making, and they need to carefully consider what they're doing before they commit to things.

According to Latino Review this morning, Darkseid will be the threat that will unite Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and more, and if that's true, then more than ever before, it looks like they really are trying to do exactly the same thing "The Avengers" did, but skipping all the carefully-laid groundwork that made it so exciting when "The Avengers" finally happened. Darkseid is the ruler of Apokolips, and he has consistently proven himself to be one of the biggest threats in the DC Universe.

He's almost a direct one-for-one correlation to Thanos in the Marvel Universe, too, and while "The Avengers" played it smart by using the entire first film as a mere tease of what is coming in the sequel, only revealing Thanos in the final moments as he finally turned to show his face, DC and Warner seem to want to jump right in and bring out Darkseid in the first film.

This is in addition to introducing all the characters in the film and establishing a world where they might all overlap and be called together. Based on the way fandom convulsed last week when we revealed the plan to tie the Nolanverse, established so carefully over the course of the three Batman films, into the Justice League via Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing his character from "The Dark Knight Rises," it seems like Warner's efforts to play it safe might backfire on them in a major way. No one's laid eyes on "Man Of Steel" yet, or even the new trailer for the film that arrives in theaters in a few weeks, but Warner is gambling that the tone that film establishes is a tone they'll be able to carry through to "Justice League." They screwed it up with "Green Lantern" last year, which was supposed to be their introduction to all of this, and so they're already having to make one major course correction. But it seems like they're assuming that because Nolan's films worked for Batman, that same exact tone is going to work for all their other characters as well, and that's a dangerous gamble for them to make.

If they're really planning to release "Justice League" in 2015, that means they'll be in theaters the same time as "Godzilla," "Star Wars Episode VII," and, yes, "The Avengers 2." It's going to be perhaps the most brutal box-office battle we've ever seen, and if "Justice League" ends up feeling like a giant bag of "been there done that," they aren't going stand a chance.

It's a shame. Warner has this amazing catalog of characters to play with, yet they have historically proven themselves to be almost completely incompetent when it comes to figuring out how to bring those characters to life in a way that connects with audiences and that works on film. They actually quit making Superman films at one point, selling the rights off to Cannon Films, because they botched it so spectacularly with "Superman III." Talk about a sign that a company has no faith in their own abilities or the genre. That was a different age, though, and they have so much more going for them at this point. Superhero films work. Audiences are willing to accept the biggest, most outrageous parts of these stories as long as they're well-told. But when you're doing this sort of thing, there has to be something sincere about it. The Marvel movies worked because there was a feeling, film to film, that they were having a blast, that they were giddy from seeing these characters walking and talking and fighting, and the casting seemed to be smart, unexpected, paying off consistently in terms of audience affection.

"The Avengers" wasn't just a standard-issue blockbuster… it was the fulfillment of a five-year promise that Marvel made to audiences. "Justice League" is something that the studio has been trying to make for a while now, but considering their batting average with their superhero properties, it seems imprudent to push all their chips into the table while imitating someone else's successful moves.

I want to enjoy a "Justice League" film when it finally arrives. I want to see these icons brought to life in a fun and smart way. I want Warner Bros. to create this universe successfully because there is so much room for them to let filmmakers do some fun and smart things in the years ahead.

But you've already screwed up the return of Superman once. You have proven just how bad Superman films can get. You turned down a perfectly good Joss Whedon "Wonder Woman" script and a better-than-good Laeta Kalogridis draft, but you let David E. Kelly make a horrifyingly stupid TV version that bordered on sitcom. You made a wildly expensive Green Lantern film that looked like it did everything right from the trailers, but that just laid there, totally inert, a mess of tone and ambition. I want Warner Bros. to get this all right…

… but what reason do I have to believe they will?

"Justice League" is still aiming for a 2015 release. God help us all.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Armie Hammer: JUSTICE LEAGUE: MORTAL

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
VARIETY Feb. 26, 2008
Warner Bros. to serve 'Justice' in '09 - Studio going full speed with superhero film

Diane Garrett wrote:Now that the writers strike has been resolved, Warner Bros. is pushing ahead with its plans to make "Justice League" in time for a 2009 debut.

Warners tried to get "Justice League" into production earlier, but put it on indefinite hold in January, allowing the cast options to expire (Daily Variety, Jan. 16). At the time, the studio said it didn't want to move ahead until the scribes had another shot at the script.

Scribes Kieran and Michele Mulroney are busy polishing up the script, which is expected back at the studio in several weeks, and the cast has been advised to keep training for their superhero roles. Director George Miller is in pre-production in Australia.

Adam Brody, cast as the Flash, is the biggest star in the superhero lineup. Rapper Common nabbed the Green Lantern role; other roles went to lesser-known thesps such as Armie Hammer Jr. (Batman) and Megan Gale (Wonder Woman).

"Justice League," based on a DC Comic, is a huge priority for the studio and considered a launching pad for future superhero projects down the line.

Warners needs another tentpole for its 2009 slate, which is a little thin at the moment. Studio had been vying for Roland Emmerich's "2012," but that project went to Sony. The studio just skedded "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins" for May 22 and Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are" for Oct. 16. The only other pic it has dated is Zack Snyder's "Watchmen," set for release March 6.

Armie Hammer Jr?

From Moviehole October 8, 2012:
Exclusive : Armie Hammer back on WB’s radar for Batman
Clint Morris wrote:When he was cast as Batman in George Miller’s “Justice League of America”, the anointment of actor Armie Hammer to a blockbuster superhero tent pole and, more importantly, such a legendary role drew mostly arched eyebrows and head scratching.

Hammer, like most of the young cast enlisted for the doomed project, was an unknown at the time. So as great as he might have looked in the black duds, most were still dubious.

Doesn’t much matter now, the film never happened.

As Hammer recalled in a recent interview with MTV, “We had gotten a long way into pre-production,” said Hammer about the ill-fated Australia-set production. “We were about to start shooting when the writer’s strike happened at the end of 2007, and then the Australian government denied a 40% tax rebate that they thought they were going to have, so a lot of things just when wrong.”

“It’s unfortunate,” he continued, “because the amount of work that was already done — I mean, they had finished pre-production and they were a couple of days away from starting to shoot, so it’s a shame that nobody got to see all of the work that got put into it.”

Sigh. The guy apparently loved wearing the Batman suit, too (“I loved it. But I didn’t even get a picture of it.”)

So the movie never happened. But Hammer’s career did.

Will the combination of recently acquired star power and role suitability get Hammer a second shot at bringing his take on the Caped Crusader to the screen?

Quite possibly.

Hearing, from a very good source, today that Hammer, who is now a hot commodity after such flicks as “The Social Network” and “Mirror Mirror”, not to mention his upcoming lead role in “The Lone Ranger”, is ”back on WB’s radar” for the part of Batman. Not for a solo flick, but for the ensemble “Justice League” movie [again].

The studio need a new guy to guard the cave now that Christian Bale has hung up the cowl. And with plans to reintroduce a younger take on the character in the upcoming “Justice League” movie, a draft of which has been completed by Will Beale, the studio has Hammer atop of their list of potentials. It’s really, when you think about it, a no-brainer. Thus, I wasn’t much surprised when informed this morning that he’s in with a good chance to play the part in the superhero tag-team movie.

It’s a win win, really. Hammer apparently wears the suit smartly, has already rehearsed for the gig before, but more so, is a much bigger star than he was three or four years ago.

Hammer headlines Disney’s “Lone Ranger” next year and while eyes will be on that film’s performance (Earlier this year there was some talk of Taylor Kitsch being a contender for the new Batman, and while that’s still a possibility, the lackluster performance of the actor’s “Savages”, “John Carter” and “Battleship” this year definitely didn’t do anything to boost his appeal) , the young actor is, at this stage, in with a very good shot to jump from a horse to a batmobile shortly after.

The only disappointing part of hearing this news this morning, for me anyway? Confirmation that Joseph Gordon Levitt won’t be the next Batman – or any Batman, it seems. That last moment in “Dark Knight Rises”, as most suspected, wasn’t so much meant to set-up a future film but just a nice moment for the movie to end on.

“But the Batman in this movie might only be used in Justice League movies”, we’re informed, suggesting Hammer’s Batman might be restricted to the JLA universe, so chances are someone else might be get a shot at donning the charcoal duds in a solo movie.

Casting is still a ways off for “Justice League” – Which will unite the characters of Superman, Batman, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter – but Warner’s are smart in getting a head start in mixing and matching a workable team of thesps for the main roles.

From Collider November 16th, 2011:
Director George Miller Talks HAPPY FEET TWO, MAD MAX, and JUSTICE LEAGUE
Christina Radish wrote:Question: Your animated films are great, but why haven’t you done any live-action films for awhile?

GEORGE MILLER:

John Lennon said, “Life’s what happens when you make other plans.” Films keep on coming out of my head, and I never know what film I’m going to make next. Common and I were going to work on a Justice League movie together. He was cast as Green Lantern. It was almost greenlit, and then it fell away. I fell in love with the guy and called him up and said, “You can’t play the Green Lantern, but how about playing a penguin?” And that was a whole bunch of complex events, in the middle of a writers’ strike and Australian rebate legislation, which was required to get the film going. It was just a whole complex series of events. It was no one’s particular fault that it happened. We were also due to do Happy Feet. These things are like big super-tankers, to start a pipeline like this, with over 600 or 700 people working on the film with the bleeding-edge of technology, where you’re pushing technology as far as you can. We had to commit to that, so I went on to that.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm

David Goyer and Zack Snyder's JLA?
Exclusive: David Goyer To Rewrite Superman For Justice League Movie; Zack Snyder Being Offered Director's Chair - Cosmic Book News
Matt McGloin wrote:A couple days ago we were told that Man of Steel writer David Goyer is polishing Will Beall's Justice League movie script.

We are now told the reason.

• Our source says that Will Beall's Justice League movie script was written in such a way that it didn't include the knowledge of a Cinematic Universe; that Beall's draft isn't reflected of Henry Cavill's portrayal of the character from Man of Steel as it was written.

• David Goyer will be rewriting Superman's arc in the script.

• Our source also now tells us that Warner Bros. is preparing to offer a lucrative package to Zack Snyder to direct Justice League for a 2015/16 release; Shortly before or after Man of Steel's release is an expected time of OFFICIAL announcement.

This information comes after the recent news that said the Justice League movie is dependent on the Man of Steel success.

Also, Zack Snyder previously stated that his Man of Steel was going to have nothing to do with the Justice League movie, that it would be "it's own thing," but only recently seemed to change his tune which included the mention that Henry Cavill is signed on for three movies.

In addition to Snyder, we were also told Matthew Vaughn, Rian Johson, Sam Mendes, and Gary Ross were wanted, and that Snyder would at least be involved on Justice League in some sort of consulting or producing role.

David Goyer recently refused to comment on the Justice League movie as well.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 am

JUSTICE LEAGUE May Be Looking For New Writers
Rumor: Has the Will Beall script been tossed? Sources say yes.
Devin Faraci wrote:There's one thing I believe with certainty: Warner Bros has no idea how to approach the Justice League movie.

Mark Millar Calls Justice League Characters Out Of Date, Says Movie Is “Excellent Way Of Losing $200 Million”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Note how he said "less expectation." I think that's the main thing. There's not really any upside for whoever writes a Justice League movie. It will automatically be compared to Avengers, and if it falls short of Avengers in fan and critic ratings (likely) or box office (VERY likely), it will be regarded as a failure. Like it or not, the success of The Avengers has set up Justice League to fail. The mountain is too high and steep to climb. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a hard time finding a writer (and a director, and a cast ...). Nobody wants to be associated with a failure.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:47 pm

TheButcher wrote:JUSTICE LEAGUE May Be Looking For New Writers
Rumor: Has the Will Beall script been tossed? Sources say yes.
Devin Faraci wrote:There's one thing I believe with certainty: Warner Bros has no idea how to approach the Justice League movie.

Mark Millar Calls Justice League Characters Out Of Date, Says Movie Is “Excellent Way Of Losing $200 Million”

Mark Millar is a miserable, miserable man. His words are meaningless. His opinions are per se invalid. His existence offends me. I wish, almost daily, that he would just go away.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Out of date?

As opposed to the successful Marvel movie characters who apparently were invented yesterday?

Too bad I'm too lazy to search for a picture of the whut? panda right now.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Well I will say this (being somewhat of a Marvel guy)... Stan Lee did for superheroes what uh... I guess Alan Moore and Frank Miller later did for superheroes.

Back in the early 1900s, people wore costumes and fought crime because shut up, that's why. I mean yes, Batman was avenging the death of his family, and I'm sure you can find other examples of at least somewhat complex characters. But otherwise they didn't need to explain superheroes because superheroes were just a thing. Stan Lee was the guy raised on comics, and who made something deeper and meta-textual out of the medium. The X-Men are superheroes, but they're also freaks because their powers are the result of a genetic defect. Spider-Man got superpowers by accident, but the only thing that motivated him to become a hero was the crushing guilt of abusing that power in the first place. The same accident that gave Daredevil special abilities also made him blind. And so on. So I'm not saying it's impossible to make a good movie with a DC character (look at Nolan's Batman trilogy, for example). DC is out-of-date in the sense that Marvel built on, and improved upon, that infrastructure. There was no reason for heroes to exist; they just did. And it seems to me like it will take more creative juggling to make that work on-screen. Unless Warner Bros. goes "fuck it" and just puts them all together with no explanation. That might actually be the best approach. But again, as a Marvel man, I don't really give a shit.

P.S. I am aware that Marvel "copied"/stole characters from the DC Universe, but do not try to deny the above.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Rumor: Batman Reboot, Superman Trilogy Could Postpone ‘Justice League’
New rumors claim that ‘Man of Steel’s success may result in a direct sequel, NOT a ‘Justice League’ movie. What does that mean for Batman’s reboot?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

'Gangster Squad' scribe signs two script deal with Warner Bros.
It's still unknown if Will Beall will pen 'Justice League'
Justin Kroll wrote:Warner Bros. is showing its faith in Will Beall, as the "Gangster Squad" scribe has signed a blind two script deal with the studio.

Though it's not known which films will be part of the deal, the pact represents a guarantees that Beall will stay in business with the studio.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

It had been reported last year that Beall was working on "The Justice League" script and it is unknown at this time whether the same draft will be used once a director has been chosen.

The move is a major commitment for a studio given how early Beall is in his career. Prior to signing this deal, Beall had been taking several meetings around town and was on the shortlist of writers Universal was eying to pen the script to "The Legend of Conan."

Beal is repped by CAA and Management 360.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:14 am

Ryan Reynolds Doesn't Want to Return as Green Lantern in Justice League
The actor subtly acknowledges the difficulties in working on Green Lantern, and in trying to make the story palatable.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:54 pm

JUSTICE LEAGUE In Trouble? An Update On The Planned 2015 DC Team-Up Movie
Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy wrote:Latino Review's El Mayimbe just appeared as a guest on the Schmoes Know Movies podcast to drop a Justice League scoop.. Unfortunately the "scoop" was actually an update on the movie's progress, and one that fans will not be happy with!

I'm sure you remember back when we reported that Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale were possibly on board Warner Bros. planned Justice League movie. This scoop was dropped by El Mayimbe and he seemed pretty sure that the duo behind the Dark Knight trilogy would return to the DC team up flick, much to the joy of fanboys (well, most fanboys) everywhere. Well now it SEEMS that's not going to happen, as he reveals to the The Schmoes Know Movies podcast that the "current team" can't get on the same page for whatever reason, and the movie may - once again - be in trouble. He reckons that WB are in fact now looking more closely at a Man Of Steel sequel. But, he is adamant that the project isn't dead though, and insists that it will still happen..at some point. But if this is true, it doesn't bode well for WB's planned 2015 release. Obviously there is an element of "shirt's on fire..now it's out!" to all of this, and whether you buy that Nolan and/or Bale were EVER on board the movie will depend on how reliable you think El Mayimbe is. We know his sources are solid, so we're willing to believe these guys did indeed consider re-teaming for Justice League, unfortunately this means the movie may well be in jeopardy! What do you guys think? Sound off below.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:34 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:36 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Zack Snyder on all things Man of Steel, including the possibility of directing Justice League
In the article, it states that the expectation is for the studio to sign Snyder for JUSTICE LEAGUE if MAN OF STEEL is a success, saying:

"Warner Bros.’ long-term view has been revised to embrace this new vision, just as the Dark Knight films resisted the commodification of Marvel. Whether we get a Justice League, they say, depends on MAN OF STEEL. If we do, they say, Zack Snyder will be asked to direct."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Warner’s C.E.O. Is Bullish on the Big Screen
BROOKS BARNES wrote:As for DC Entertainment, cross-studio collaboration to make better use of its comic book characters appears to have accelerated considerably since Mr. Tsujihara took over, in part because he eliminated some management layers. (He has not named a chief operating officer and did not replace Mr. Rosenblum and Mr. Robinov, choosing instead to divide up their duties and assume some himself.) Two new television shows are coming to the CW and Fox, including one based on the Flash and another on a young Batman, and a film series will be announced in the near future, Mr. Tsujihara said. It is expected to include a “Justice League” movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE 2017

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:17 am

Warner Bros. Plans ‘Justice League’ Movie Directed by Zack Snyder (Exclusive)
Ben Fritz wrote:First came “Man of Steel.” Next up is “Batman vs. Superman.” And then, “Justice League.”

Confirming the studio’s plans for a movie based on its iconic super-team for the first time, Warner Bros. president of worldwide production Greg Silverman said the studio has set plans to make a “Justice League” movie.

Like “Man of Steel” and its follow-up, which starts production next month, “Justice League” will be directed by Zack Snyder. Henry Cavill is expected to return as Superman, along with Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot, who play Batman and Wonder Woman, respectively, in 2016’s “Man of Steel” sequel tentatively titled “Batman vs. Superman.”

“It will be a further expansion of this universe,” said Mr. Silverman. “’Superman vs Batman’ will lead into ‘Justice League.’”

A script is still in development and Warner has not set a release date, though the movie is unlikely to come out before 2018. Mr. Silverman would not comment on what other heroes might join Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in the movie. However the studio has recently been casting the role of Cyborg, a half-robotic hero who is expected to have a cameo in “Batman vs. Superman” and then appear in “Justice League.” Other DC heroes who have been in Justice League comic books include Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern.

The plans for three superhero movies in relatively quick succession show how intent Warner is on catching up with rival Walt Disney Co.’s Marvel Studios in building a cinematic superhero universe after years lagging behind.

Although the “Dark Knight” trilogy was a hit, Warner’s other efforts such as “Green Lantern” and “Jonah Hex” have flopped. A “Justice League” movie with a young cast that was to be directed by George Miller of “Mad Max” fame nearly went into production in 2008 but was killed at the last minute.

Warner Bros. has several other movies in development unconnected to the Justice League that are based on DC superheroes and fantasy and crime titles from its Vertigo line of genre comics, said Mr. Silverman and Toby Emmerich, president of Warner’s New Line Cinema label. They include “Shazam,” “Metal Men,” “100 Bullets,” and “Fables.”

And while there are no plans yet for a “Justice League” spinoff featuring Ms. Gadot’s “Wonder Woman,” Warner executives said they are warm to the idea.

“That is our hope,” said Sue Kroll, president of worldwide marketing. “With the right script, that could be viable. The world is ready for her.”

Zack Snyder to Direct 'Justice League' Movie
A release date has not been set, but sources say it could bow in 2017, a year after Superman vs. Batman, which is set to hit theaters May 6, 2016.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:42 am

Apparently not, no.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:13 pm

waiting for him to direct a DD movie

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:47 pm

THR @ Comic-Con:
'Justice League' Movie Courts Oscar-Winning Writer
"Argo's" Chris Terrio most recently did a rewrite on Warner Bros.' "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE 2

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:31 am

BAD:
Who Is Star-Lord’s Father?
The GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY movie may be taking a very different path than the comics.
Devin Faraci wrote:A geeky side-note: it would be amazing if the Eternals, a really lesser-known part of the Marvel Universe, made it to the big screen before the New Gods, DC's pantheon of cosmic beings. Jack Kirby created both, but he created the Eternals only after his Fourth World Saga at DC had been canceled. Thanos himself is more or less a knock-off of Kirby's Darkseid, and The Eternals picked up a lot of the thematic concerns Kirby had in his New Gods books. My sources tell me not to expect Darkseid in the DC movieverse until Justice League 2, so that means a Guardians 2 in 2017 would definitely have the Eternals beating the New Gods to big screens.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

George Miller's JUSTICE LEAGUE: MORTAL

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Alternate History: What If George Miller’s JUSTICE LEAGUE Wasn’t Cancelled?
If 'Mad Max' director George Miller's 'Justice League' movie not only hadn't been cancelled, but was a huge success, how would that have impacted the superhero movie landscape going forward?

From Collider November 16th, 2011
:
Director George Miller Talks HAPPY FEET TWO, MAD MAX, and JUSTICE LEAGUE
Christina Radish wrote:Question: Your animated films are great, but why haven’t you done any live-action films for awhile?

GEORGE MILLER:

John Lennon said, “Life’s what happens when you make other plans.” Films keep on coming out of my head, and I never know what film I’m going to make next. Common and I were going to work on a Justice League movie together. He was cast as Green Lantern. It was almost greenlit, and then it fell away. I fell in love with the guy and called him up and said, “You can’t play the Green Lantern, but how about playing a penguin?” And that was a whole bunch of complex events, in the middle of a writers’ strike and Australian rebate legislation, which was required to get the film going. It was just a whole complex series of events. It was no one’s particular fault that it happened. We were also due to do Happy Feet. These things are like big super-tankers, to start a pipeline like this, with over 600 or 700 people working on the film with the bleeding-edge of technology, where you’re pushing technology as far as you can. We had to commit to that, so I went on to that.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:56 am

WONDER WOMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE Filming Dates Revealed
'Wonder Woman' is due in theaters on June 23, 2017 followed by 'Justice League Part One' on November 12, 2017.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News