JUSTICE LEAGUE

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 am

Fried Gold wrote:Image

Yup, that's four people in costumes alright.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 am

come on, man! don't you see the subtext going on there?!?!?!? that is some powerful shit, I can tell this movie is going to tackle some heavy duty existential issues just by looking at that photo :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 am

Fried Gold wrote:Image

Justice League: Waiting for the Bus
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:17 pm

they look like freshman at their first high school dance :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 am

Twitter:
Follow the journey and saga of the "Visionary" who made all this happen. #ZackSnyder

CBM:
JUSTICE LEAGUE Will Feature A GREEN LANTERN Character After All If A New Rumor Is To Be Believed
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 pm

who aquas the aquamen?

who bats the batmen?

who wonders the wonderwomen?

who flashes the flash?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE: Unite The Se7en!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:19 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Is there anyone genuinely excited about this? Anything positive I've read seems to come at it from the angle of "Well, I saw Barman v Superman and Suicide Squad and they weren't COMPLETE wastes of time, so...."
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 pm

I understand that there are people that are genuinely excited for this. I'm happy for them. Really, I am.
I'm not a DC fanboy. I really enjoyed a lot of Batman over the years (comics and films)....I watched Superfriends as a kid....loved the first two Christopher Reeve films.
I mention all this because as a Marvel fan, I admittedly give them leeway in terms of quality - sometimes it's just cool seeing the property on screen. If it's quality, then I'll over-enjoy it. I can't do that with DC. I need quality to suck me in. The Man of Steel trailer sucked me in....and I didn't enjoy the movie. I felt nothing with the Batman vs Superman trailer...and found the Director's Cut okay. I can't bring myself to watch Suicide Squad. I really wanted to enjoy this trailer and felt absolutely nothing....and I hate that. Maybe I'm not even close to being the target audience for this, and I'm okay with that. I'm just really disappointed.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 pm

looks fun, and despite the imperfections and detractors i think DC is creating their own style and sensibility with these movies, it is more of a throwback feel in a way, the fantastical ideas of heroes and super-powers that was there in the early days of comics

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 am

Superman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndvhxmGOOk4
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

Well, Fried Gold will like it, which at the end of the day is the important thing
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I think we can all agree that this Justice League will be better than if it were directed by Brian "look how emo my hero is" Singer :-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Get some new material, dude
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:Get some new material, dude

its retro :D

and you keep doing the same tired anti DC schtick every time one of their movies comes out so it isn't as if your obvious disdain for Justice League is exactly "fresh" :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 pm

Hey, I was looking forward to Suicide Squad until I saw it
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 am

'Justice League': Zack Snyder Brings Banter-Heavy Footage to CinemaCon

Justice League Movie Runtime is Longer than BVS
IMDb has listed Justice League‘s runtime as 170 minutes or 2 hours 50 minutes.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:59 am

TheButcher wrote:'Justice League': Zack Snyder Brings Banter-Heavy Footage to CinemaCon

Justice League Movie Runtime is Longer than BVS
IMDb has listed Justice League‘s runtime as 170 minutes or 2 hours 50 minutes.

1. Information on IMDB is about as accurate with facts as a North Korean press statement.
2. It's not being released until November, so it's runtime won't be nailed down for ages.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:43 am

Charles Roven Discusses New Role In DC Films Universe And JUSTICE LEAGUE's "Lighter" Tone
Batman v Superman producer Charles Roven discusses his reduced role in the DC Films Universe and reiterates that we should expect a much lighter movie to that when Justice League is released.

Sylvester Stallone Suing Warner Bros. for Fraud and "Dishonesty"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 12, 2017 1:29 am

io9:
Superman's Mom Hates to Be Honest, But Justice League Is Worse Than Batman v. Superman
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE RESHOOTS

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 am

EXCLUSIVE HOT RUMOR: UPCOMING RESHOOTS TO GIVE JUSTICE LEAGUE A SECOND MAJOR FACELIFT
Mario-Francisco Robles wrote:UPDATE:
Shortly we after we published the original report on the extensive Justice League reshoots, our source contacted us to offer further clarification:

“There are more reshoots COMING SOON. There have been a bunch but they’re going to do MORE.”
The clarification was necessary because initial conversations made it unclear whether or not Warner Bros. was finally done overhauling the film. Now we know that, in addition to reshoots and on-the-spot rewrites, the studio has scheduled even additional photography to help get the final product into tip top shape.

ORIGINAL STORY:
Justice League fans, we’ve got some big stuff to share with you here. But before we get started, let’s make a couple of things crystal clear:

Yes, we know reshoots are a normal part of every major film’s production cycle. Those kinds of run-of-the-mill business-as-usual reshoots are not what this story is about.

We are, by no means, inferring that this means doom or gloom for the DCEU tentpole. There are plenty of films that have been given serious facelifts in recent history that went on to be pretty damn good, so none of this is meant to say “Grab on tight! JUSTICE LEAGUE is gonna take you on an express train to Suckville!“
Which brings us to some really interesting news we’ve just received from one of our highly trusted sources…

We’re hearing that Justice League has undergone some serious reshoots.

[Quick Note on Our Source: This is the same person that informed us of how extensive the reshoots for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ended up being- which we broke when we worked elsewhere, and this person is so intimately connected to the Justice League production that they told us about Ben Affleck’s visit to rehab weeks before the star publicly acknowledged his personal struggles. Even as we tried to verify the Affleck story, with several people saying there was no truth to it, this source was adamant that the Batman star was seeking help for an alcohol problem. We didn’t run the story, because we’re not a celebrity gossip site, but when Affleck eventually revealed his rehab stint to the world, it only cemented our faith in this source, and confirmed that they’re very close to the situation.]

So about the serious reshoots…Initially, we shrugged. “So? All these kinds of movies do. That’s totally normal. Who cares?” That was our attitude about it, and we asked them what was so special about what was going on with Justice League. We specifically asked if it was the standard kinds of pick-ups and reshoots that these films typically require, or if they were the kind that were going to change the film in a major way. They responded that the changes being made to the film were “significant.”

Okay. Vague.

“How significant?” we asked.

Speaking on a condition of anonymity, they said that in the 17 months between the start of principal photography and the final cut arriving in theaters in November that the film will have essentially been “remade…twice.”

They refused to offer any further details, but they said that Warner Bros. is really putting everything it has into overhauling the movie. Apparently, they didn’t like what they were seeing and so the film has had a lot of work put into trying to make it better while on its way towards its November 2017 release.

Again, this can all be for the best. As a fan of these characters and stories, we’re all pulling for a badass movie.

But just how important is it for Warner Bros. to get this movie right?

Very. Why?

Justice League is set to be the culmination of years of planning, going back to 2012 when Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel was in production. Snyder and the brain trust at Warner Bros. knew full well that they wanted the film to act as the first entry in a new shared universe of movies based on the DC Comics property that the studio has owned since the late 1960s. The film would introduce us to an all-new take on Superman, which would be followed up by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice– a movie that would blow everything wide open by giving us fresh interpretations of Batman, Wonder Woman, and Lex Luthor, as well as glimpses of The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. The plan with that film was to set up DC’s marquee super-team: The Justice League.

The problem is…Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice didn’t really pass the baton on so nicely, in terms of transferring momentum to Justice League. The film was ravaged by critics, and it was extremely divisive amongst fans (who awarded it the same so-so CinemaScore they gave the failed Green Lantern movie). From a financial standpoint, trusted industry news outlet Deadline’s experts have deduced that the film only made a net profit of $105.7 million, which is quite mediocre when you consider that Warner Bros. invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the film hoping it would make north of a billion dollars the way the previous two solo Batman films had. Instead, it topped out at $873 worldwide, with the lion’s share of that money going towards covering costs.

To illustrate how disappointing the net profit margin for Dawn of Justice was, Warner Bros. actually made more money off of Suicide Squad than they did on the epic first-ever cinematic confrontation between Batman and Superman. Yes, that other 2016 DC release brought the studio $158 million, as per Deadline.

How does all of this tie into what’s going on with Justice League? Well, due to the way that the studio had lined up its production slate for the DCEU, the superhero smackdown entered production mere weeks after Batman v Superman began its disappointing run. And it did so with essentially the same creative forces as Dawn of Justice, i.e. creative forces that produced a film that underperformed and failed to create widespread goodwill for the DC brand. This would mean that Warner Bros. would have to roll up its sleeves and be very hands-on with the production of Justice League, in order to make sure that it soared where Dawn of Justice soured.

Rumors began right away that Snyder was no longer going to be the DCEU’s visionary, and that he was going to be on a very tight leash while working on Justice League. To that end, Ben Affleck and George Miller- two successful directors- were brought onto the film as producers. Meanwhile, higher up the food chain, Warner Bros. brought in DC Comics guru Geoff Johns to be the new Chief Creative Officer and Co-President of DC Entertainment. The studio hoped that surrounding Snyder with the right people might help him create a film that had wider appeal and be more beloved by the masses.

You may recall that Jason Momoa posted this image, celebrating the initial “wrapping” of Justice League‘s production way back in October of 2016. (Side Note: Knowing what we now know about Affleck, the image is kind of hard to look at.)

Several months later, though, Momoa was summoned back to the Justice League set for reshoots. Heck, his 2018 solo Aquaman movie was even delayed a grand total of five months (from July 27, to October 5, to December 21) during Justice League‘s post-production cycle. The actor had to cancel an Oz Comic-Con appearance as recently as March because he was needed for JL, to give you some sense of what the reshoots have meant to the actor’s schedule.

We were unable to get a timetable for when, exactly, the reshoots took place, or a list of who was involved. All we were told was the sheer size and scope of the work that was done, and the general idea that these were not the standard kinds of reshoots that major motion pictures typically undergo. Our source would know. No, these were the kinds of reshoots that imply there’s a very nervous studio trying to do everything it can to fix something.

With the recent news that King Arthur was set to be a colossal bomb for Warner Bros, and with projections for Wonder Woman making it look like it’ll open $20 million less than Marvel’s Doctor Strange (who has nowhere near the kind of household recognition or importance of DC’s iconic heroine) in its opening frame, you really can’t blame the studio for being nervous.

But, again, none of this is to say that Justice League won’t turn out great. Just look at the aforementioned Rogue One. That film ended up having half of itself reshot (with a different writer and director, no less!) and still ended up being well-received.

I’m reminded of a quote that came from Riz Ahmed, one of the stars of Rogue One, around the time of its release:

“There were a ton of reshoots. But if people want to read anything into that, I’d encourage them to read into it the guts it takes to unpick stitching rather than just try to embroider over it, to make it right. I admire [Lucasfilm President] Kathleen [Kennedy] and Gareth [Edwards] and the whole team for having the guts to go, ‘Let’s reopen this. Let’s do some of this again.’ I think it’s because they really care – and hopefully that’s something that shows when people see the film.”

Why do I bring that up? Because it speaks to the idea that extensive reshoots aren’t inherently bad. It all comes down to the way in which the additional work is incorporated into the film. Are they reopening Justice League and fixing things from the inside out like LucasFilm did with Rogue One? Or are they just adding a bunch of scenes they think will smooth out the edges, but end up making for an unfinished and uneven final product like what happened with David Ayer’s Suicide Squad? The latter film was destroyed by critics for being too scattershot and inconsistent, and it was later revealed that the studio had cut together “six or seven” different versions of the movie after spending millions on reshoots and extending post-production on the DC flick.

As DC fans, we can only hope that Warner Bros. learned from last year’s mistakes and takes a more measured approach towards the overhaul of Justice League. Even Batman v Superman suffered from hasty decision-making, with many fans thinking the “Ultimate Edition” that came out a few months later on blu-ray was vastly superior to the theatrical cut that the studio created of the film when they became concerned about the final product. The studio’s not in a great place right now, and they need these big budget franchise films to start living up to the time and money they’re investing in them.

When a film about a relatively little-known character like Deadpool makes its studio 3x as much profit as the loaded Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice did (Fox made $322 net profit on the movie), you know its time to start reevaluating how you’re doing things. Let’s hope Warner Bros. is taking its time and creating a Justice League movie we’ll never forget.

We’ll just have to wait and see. For now? Just know that things have been anything but business-as-usual for our Super Friends in the Justice League.

Stay Tuned! I’ll be discussing all this and more on tomorrow’s episode of the El Fanboy Podcast, and the talented staff here at The Splash Report will be keeping you up-to-date on all things DC in the weeks to come! Don’t keep us a secret. Share this article with all your friends and let them know where the best scoops are!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Collider:
“The reality is we are in the midst to this point…Since there was was motion post-production We’re in the doing some additional doing some additional Aquaman is Sharper Objects [sic]everybody’s crazy getting everybody we need to crazy Rubix cube is not that vast everybody’s in around the world.everybody’s crazy ”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 27, 2017 4:16 am

Justice League: Joss Whedon Was Involved Prior to Snyder’s Departure
Edward Cambro wrote:It turns out Joss Whedon was involved with Justice League prior to the tragic events that led to director Zack Snyder’s departure. It was initially believed that Whedon had come to Warner Bros. to only write and direct the upcoming Batgirl adaptation, but producer Charles Roven has confirmed he has been aiding Snyder during the post-production phase. Despite the upcoming reshoots and Snyder’s departure, Justice League is still on track for its November 2017 release date. The film will feature Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), The Flash (Ezra Miller), Aquaman (Jason Mamoa) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) as the titular superhero team fighting against the forces of Darkseid.

Zack Snyder has been an integral part of the DC Extended Universe since he directed 2013’s Man of Steel – the film that laid the groundwork for a shared universe that was then further explored in Snyder’s Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice in 2016. Snyder also directed Justice League, though he stepped down recently to grieve the death of his daughter, Autumn. Joss Whedon, the former Avengers director, has since stepped up to finish post-production on Justice League. The extent of Whedon’s involvement, however, has been unclear until now.

At the Los Angeles premiere of Wonder Woman, DCEU producer Charles Roven told Variety that Whedon was already involved with Justice League before Snyder announced his departure:
“We’re excited about the film, of course, but we were saddened by the events that caused Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder to have to leave and turn the reins over to Joss Whedon. He was already working with us on some of the scenes for that additional photography that we’re going to be doing shortly. It was fortunate that Zack convinced him, and he agreed to step in and finish the movie – to help Zack finish his vision. We’re excited about that.”

It’s been reported that Whedon was merely sanding down the rough edges and working on dialogue for the Justice League re-shoots, which he was going to direct. However, it seems that Snyder brought Whedon in well in advance of his departure to work on the script. The re-shoots are said to be minor, which is common for big-budget blockbusters like these. While Warner Bros. and Whedon himself have stated that he is only going to fulfill Zack Snyder’s vision for the film, there is still the lingering question of Justice League 2 and the DCEU’s future, which we likely see more fresh blood brought in and a greater emphasis on the role Geoff Johns has as president of DC Entertainment, to godfather the creative direction of these franchises.

Initially, Snyder was expected to direct both the first and second Justice League movies one after the other. However, last year it was reported that Snyder would instead be directing his stalled war drama The Last Photograph after Justice League, before potentially returning to helm the second Justice League installment. It has also been reported that WB is prioritizing DCEU projects like The Batman ahead of Justice League 2, so there should be all the more time now for Snyder to take a break from the DCEU before returning for Justice League 2 – should he so decide to, down the line.

What Zack Snyder’s Departure Means For the DCEU
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News