Remake Blasphemy Continues (Escape From New York Thread)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby brainiac on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Well, Kurt certainly has his panties in a twist! I hope some of his Hollywood buddies counsel him to cool off and back down because right now he sounds like a whiny bitch to me. And I like the guy and love EFNY.

Butler can do an American accent -- check out his St. Louis accent in The Game of Their Lives (retitled Miracle Match by Disney) and the upcoming Butterfly on a Wheel - both using American accents. Butler usually hires a dialog coach and throws himself so totally into a role that moviegoers who didn't grow up with Russell as Plissken will love the character as played by Butler and think he is Snake.

So, remakes are gonna stop? I doubt it and sometimes they are better than the original (KING KONG anyone?).

Maybe that's really what Russell is worried about?
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:41 pm

Nope - he did pretty much create the character as opposed to just turn up and speak his lines. And his criticism is directed at 'the actor who is currently in the frame for the role', not a personal attack on Butler himself. I'm pretty sure Russell would have said the exact same words if it had been, say, Clive Owen in the frame. Calm down Loincloth-lover! Butler is above this film anyway.

The far more accurate observation - made earlier on thsi thread - is Russell missing the point that his own THE THING is itself a remake :lol:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Nope - he did pretty much create the character as opposed to just turn up and speak his lines. And his criticism is directed at 'the actor who is currently in the frame for the role', not a personal attack on Butler himself. I'm pretty sure Russell would have said the exact same words if it had been, say, Clive Owen in the frame. Calm down Loincloth-lover! Butler is above this film anyway.

The far more accurate observation - made earlier on thsi thread - is Russell missing the point that his own THE THING is itself a remake :lol:

AND Tombstone.

AND that Elvis film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:50 pm

And Escape From L.A.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brainiac on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Like someone said earlier, it's not like they are going to burn every DVD/VHS of EFNY. It will still be there for all to see.

And movies are an adaptive medium anyway (other than original screenplays). Books, comics, TV shows, plays, and yes, old movies and foreign movies are all fodder for Hollywood. So this was bound to happen and especially with Carpenter's OK, it will move forward and probably be a fun film despite carping from Russell and everyone else who is bent out of shape right now.

So call me fanboy/girl, loin-cloth lover or what ever -- it's rather like the pot calling the kettle...etc.

/rant
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Fanboy/girl.
Nah nah nee nah nah.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:13 pm

brainiac wrote:So, remakes are gonna stop? I doubt it and sometimes they are better than the original (KING KONG anyone?).

Neither Dino's nor Jackson's are close to surpassing the original. You should have gone with something like LotR, Ben-Hur etc.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:44 pm

The major difference, that I liked, in the story of Kong as done by PJ was that someone up on the screen actually gave a shit about the poor ape. That was what was lacking in the original, in my view - everyone in the film wanted to exploit or fear Kong. Having someone in the film care gave the chance for the audience to do something other than be afraid.
The Vicar

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:54 pm

I agree but I think the original character's attitudes were pretty accurate for the time period. Empathy for animals/conservation has blown up in the years since and thus in the minds of your average Americans.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:59 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I don't want to look like some weird fangirl...

oh, there's no way you look like one.

sounding like one, on the other hand...

Just as long as no one can tell by looking...I'm safe... ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 pm

brainiac wrote:it's rather like the pot calling the kettle...etc.

/rant

Actually, its rather like a simple riff on "Music Lover" from TOMBSTSONE, but I guess the reference got lost in all that red mist :P

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:09 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I agree but I think the original character's attitudes were pretty accurate for the time period. Empathy for animals/conservation has blown up in the years since and thus in the minds of your average Americans.

I can buy that.
I just think doing it the other way makes for a more interesting film.
But each film is definately a product of it's time, nu?
The Vicar

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:13 pm

As long as Pam Grier returns as the tranny from the second movie...I am THERE!!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:37 pm

Sort of in response to braniac's post from above...

I somewhat agree that remakes will always happen, but why not remake obscure films with great concepts, not films that are generally loved/respected/or at least well known. There are so many great films, hell, even going back to the silent era that would kick ass as a remake, but instead studios would rather do something so recent. I just don't understand it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:39 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Sort of in response to braniac's post from above...

I somewhat agree that remakes will always happen, but why not remake obscure films with great concepts, not films that are generally loved/respected/or at least well known. There are so many great films, hell, even going back to the silent era that would kick ass as a remake, but instead studios would rather do something so recent. I just don't understand it.

Agreed 100%

There should be a federal law that prohibits remakes of movies less than 40 years old...seriously.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Agreed 100%

There should be a federal law that prohibits remakes of movies less than 40 years old...seriously.

Hollywood would grind to a virtual halt.
Independent films might take off,
but the studios would starve for oxygen, like a perch on the landing.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:16 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Agreed 100%

Well aren't you some sort of justice cow...?

Make It So, Number One...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:46 am

No kidding. Think of some of those forgotten 30's comedies remade now--or at least borrowed and revamped. Or build on the success of "Brick" and redo some noir...ah, what films we'd have.

And think of all the awesome books that haven't been optioned. Hollywood has touched what, 5% of the sci-fi section at a local Barnes and Noble? :roll:
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 am

I wouldn't mind if they would lay off Phillip K Dick's ideas for a while, however...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:55 am

What a coincidence, I was just watching Blade Runner tonight and idly wondering why no one has remade it...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:12 am

Oh no - I mean, why remaking an almost perfect film? 'A Scanner Darkly' has also already become one of my favorites, but for every one of those there's a Paycheck or a Total Recall - the latter of which is not a bad sci-fi actioner, but doesn't really give a great rendition of 'We can remember it for you Wholesale'

There's so much other Science Fiction to choose from.

brainiac wrote:loin-cloth lover
/rant

I read a quote from Bulter in this Month's Empire saying that it's not a loincloth - it's a cod-piece.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby unikrunk on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:01 am

A remake of Bladerunner? Oh, that's a paddling.

That is my numero uno, top spot, and uncontested favorite movie since I was 11. And the theatrical cut is better, sorry, it just is. Except the last shot - the tracking shot from the Shining - that can go.

I would, however, like to see someone take on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?; Bladerunner is pretty divergent from the book, hence the name of the movie - I would not mind a fine director helming a faithful adaptation to bookend with Bladerunner.

/I like run-on sentences and typing while exhausted.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:18 am

Now ya got me thinkin', and y'all know how that always turns out.

Picture if you will a future, maybe 70 years from now, where the exponential growth of information has spiked, as well as the population of the USA - like - 500mil US citizens -

Things are so out of hand that films are remade before they finish their initial run, a remake and the original in theaters at the same time - in this time of insane growth, their are no longer any intellectual rights to ones work, no information is sacrosanct, all is open for use regardless of its nature.

Remakes of books that have just been released, different versions of a film by different directors playing at the same time, and newer more competitive breakfast cereals; this is the world of tomorrow.

/Someone better call Disney.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:54 am

The point of doing remakes is not avoiding to come up with some ideas on their own but to do movies that the tudios think are safe bets. With very old or unknown movies the risk is higher.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:05 am

Besides which, its a very human endeavour to look at what's been done before and try to improve upon it - genuine innovation is, almost by its very definition, quite rare. Its called progress people - and when it fails, we get to jeer. But there have been plenty of remakes that have actually been marked improvements over their precursors - its just that, like Kurt Russell, a lot of people don't even realise what is a remake and what isn't. You'd be amazed at how many people think the Pacino SCARFACE is the original, for example....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:54 am

Doc Holliday wrote:You'd be amazed at how many people think the Pacino SCARFACE is the original, for example....

Yes... just a the other day, I was a talking to a the young putz who dinna realize that a the Peter Jackson's Kong, she was a the remake of a the Dino's Kong, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:57 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:You'd be amazed at how many people think the Pacino SCARFACE is the original, for example....

Yes... just a the other day, I was a talking to a the young putz who dinna realize that a the Peter Jackson's Kong, she was a the remake of a the Dino's Kong, eh?

:shock:

No, really...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

But wait - because I am a gullible twat - so I just need to ask, before I completely fall off my chair in shock and despair.....

You

Are

Kidding

Me

.......Right?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:05 am

About what, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:16 am

That some kid thought Jackson's Kong was an original. Unless that kid was under something like 12, that's just unforgiveable.

Or maybe I'm just old :cry:

Nope. Its unforgiveable - at the very least they should have been aware of the Jeff Bridges version, if not the 30's classic.

Oh wait a minute.

fuck.

You were being clever weren't you...ironic even.

If you need me, I will be sitting in a corner writing out "I am such a douche" no less than 500 times.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 am

Doc Holliday wrote:You were being clever weren't you...ironic even.

Who, me?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:25 am

I doubt you even needed your ear trumpet to hear that particularly penny drop eh? told you....I'm a gullible twat :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:10 am

The fishing inna here, shes a good today, Dino, no?

Hooked a Doc...... ;)
The Vicar

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:12 am

unikrunk wrote:
I would, however, like to see someone take on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Wasn't that the basis for A.I. ???

Or some film? I remember that title being tossed around in relation to some film a while back.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:18 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
I would, however, like to see someone take on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Or some film? I remember that title being tossed around in relation to some film a while back.

Hmmm... NOW who's a the fishing, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:39 am

*closes mouth tightly and swims past as fast as his little fins take him*

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:54 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:

No kidding. Think of some of those forgotten 30's comedies remade now--or at least borrowed and revamped. Or build on the success of "Brick" and redo some noir...ah, what films we'd have.

And think of all the awesome books that haven't been optioned. Hollywood has touched what, 5% of the sci-fi section at a local Barnes and Noble? :roll:

The amazing thing to me is that Hollywood really hasn't touched most of the real classic sci-fi. Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke and a few others. Why don't we have big-budget movie versions of the Foundation stories, for instance? And Lazarus Long is a character overdue for film treatment. Clarke wrote a lot more than just 2001, Hollywood.

And I, Robot just doesn't count.

Maybe I'm just looking for movies in which the heroes are engineers and scientists - I mean, in which engineers and scientists are portrayed as cool, competent, heroic, and not nerdy and socially awkward.

Seems I have a chip on my shoulder this morning. Sigh.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby instant_karma on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:58 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

Uh, no. As we all know Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is about a guy who has to hunt rogue robits.

It was made into this movie

Duh!
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby unikrunk on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:03 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:
unikrunk wrote:I would, however, like to see someone take on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Uh, no. As we all know Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is about a guy who has to hunt rogue robits.

Duh!

IPAMPILASH!!

Misinformation is the new information, read it on the cover of Glamour.

/It also said that pointless existence is the new suicide, which came as quite a surprise to me.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:59 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:[ quote="unikrunk"]

Duh![/quote]

Fuck yeah! That, Wolfen and Looker MADE the early 80s for me!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Vicar on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Wolfen!
I really liked that flick - memorable now for Admiral Adama prancing naked in the Atlantic.

And Gregory Hines' "black moon over manhatten" scene.
The Vicar

Postby instant_karma on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:08 pm

I really like Wolfen as well.

But then I like pretty much any film in the supernatural/ill advised urban planning genre, like Poltergeist and uh...

...damn.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:43 pm

Q!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:15 pm

unikrunk wrote:Now ya got me thinkin', and y'all know how that always turns out.

Picture if you will a future, maybe 70 years from now, where the exponential growth of information has spiked, as well as the population of the USA - like - 500mil US citizens -

Things are so out of hand that films are remade before they finish their initial run, a remake and the original in theaters at the same time - in this time of insane growth, their are no longer any intellectual rights to ones work, no information is sacrosanct, all is open for use regardless of its nature.

Remakes of books that have just been released, different versions of a film by different directors playing at the same time, and newer more competitive breakfast cereals; this is the world of tomorrow.

/Someone better call Disney.

You should read Connie Willis' "Remake." In fact, you all should. But that is damn close to the plot of it.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks for the heads-up, LS!

I will definitely check it out.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:55 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

Hey, Smarty-Pants McNachokoolaid - Scott's film was way off from the story, it would not suck to see someone with talent take a pass at it.

/I guess I should have written 'a faithful adaptation of'...

//I got nothing.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brainiac on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:48 pm

And it seems Kurt was "just kidding"?

SciFi Wire:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=40753
Escape's Russell Softens On Butler

Kurt Russell, who played Snake Plissken in the original Escape From New York, backed off his harsh criticism of Gerard Butler, who is slated to star in a remake, in comments to SCI FI Wire. "Oh, I don't know, I was just kidding around," Russell said in an interview while promoting Grindhouse in Beverly Hills, Calif., on March 25.

Russell added: "Listen, I've had a long career, I'm only happy to have had it. Good luck to everybody, and, yeah, see if you can keep up, cool."

In his interview with SCI FI Wire, Russell was philosophical about the remake. "A long time ago, John and I had a lot of fun making a movie. It was a John Carpenter creation, the Snake Plissken character, and how it's played was my creation. Our movie will always be there." Grindhouse, in which Russell plays a killer stuntman, opens April 6. —Patrick Lee, News Editor

Maybe he read my comments? 8)
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:57 am

I gotta to tell a you, for a the while... the Dino, he co-own a the character of a the Snake, eh? Back inna the day, Johnny Carpenter anna Debra Hill, they make a the original film for a the Avco Embassy, no? Anna eventually, the Avco, she was a sold a to a the Dino, hehehe... anna so I hadda my share of a the character anna the profits, no? But eventually, the Dino, he sold a his a share to a the Canal Plus, anna so's a now they co-own a the character with a the Carpenter anna the Hill.

This a remake... she would have a NEVER happen under a the Dino's watch, eh?

BWAHAHAHAHAH!!! The Dino, he's a just a making with a the funny, eh? Holy crappa, iffa the Dino, he still own a the character, we would have a hadda the "Snake Plissken: Under a the Mullet" iffa the Dino, he hadda his a druthers, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:59 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I gotta to tell a you, for a the while... the Dino, he co-own a the character of a the Snake, eh? Back inna the day, Johnny Carpenter anna Debra Hill, they make a the original film for a the Avco Embassy, no? Anna eventually, the Avco, she was a sold a to a the Dino, hehehe... anna so I hadda my share of a the character anna the profits, no? But eventually, the Dino, he sold a his a share to a the Canal Plus, anna so's a now they co-own a the character with a the Carpenter anna the Hill.

BWAHAHAHAHAH!!! The Dino, he's a just a making with a the funny, eh? Holy crappa, iffa the Dino, he still own a the character, we would have a hadda the "Snake Plissken: Under a the Mullet" iffa the Dino, he hadda his a druthers, no?

No doubt there'd be a lawsuit going on right now for the way Russel and Tarantino seem to have co-opted the character for Grindhouse, as well.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:32 pm

That's Dino. He's always kicking it, old school, and keeping up the classy traditions of Hollywood's golden era. ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:29 pm

tapehead wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I gotta to tell a you, for a the while... the Dino, he co-own a the character of a the Snake, eh? Back inna the day, Johnny Carpenter anna Debra Hill, they make a the original film for a the Avco Embassy, no? Anna eventually, the Avco, she was a sold a to a the Dino, hehehe... anna so I hadda my share of a the character anna the profits, no? But eventually, the Dino, he sold a his a share to a the Canal Plus, anna so's a now they co-own a the character with a the Carpenter anna the Hill.

No doubt there'd be a lawsuit going on right now for the way Russel and Tarantino seem to have co-opted the character for Grindhouse, as well.

Kurt Russel wears an eye patch in grind house?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News