Remake Blasphemy Continues (Escape From New York Thread)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Remake Blasphemy Continues (I thought he was dead?)

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I don't mind remakes, as long as they're done well. I mean, Batman Begins is one of my favorite flicks, and some might consider that a remake.

No, that is what we call on the playground, a DO OVER.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:00 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I don't mind remakes, as long as they're done well. I mean, Batman Begins is one of my favorite flicks, and some might consider that a remake.

I would a not a consider that a the remake.... a the remake of a what??
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Batman Begins is the intro of Batsy. Its not a remake.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Batman Begins is the intro of Batsy. Its not a remake.

Hmm. Somehow, I don't think the name "Batsy" will strike fear into the hearts of evil-doers.

"Batsy Begins"
"Batsy Returns"
"Batsy and Robsy"
"Batsy Versus Jokesy"

etc.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:48 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:I love me some John Carpenter, but the Escape from New York was crap, so who cares?

*Feels behind him for chair......sits down in shock*

This just isn't the usual positive, upbeat sort of post I've come to expect from you Burl. You wouldn't be feeling sore because they've discontinued the line on your figurine would you?

:lol:

What was it about Escape that you didn't like. Apart from the start middle and end of course? What did it lack over the other Carpenter stuff that you like?

Because it just doesn't really deliver the goods. The idea is AWESOME, but basically what we get is a lot of running around on a studio backlot with a bunch of grocery baskets scattered around to make it look post-apocalyptic and scary. I don't hate the movie, but it's just so underwhelming.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:13 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Because it just doesn't really deliver the goods. The idea is AWESOME, but basically what we get is a lot of running around on a studio backlot with a bunch of grocery baskets scattered around to make it look post-apocalyptic and scary. I don't hate the movie, but it's just so underwhelming.

Which is a the good a reason as a any a to go anna remake a the thing, eh? With a the big a budget anna alla the talent that a the Hollywood, she can a muster a so's a to bring a the awesome idea a to fruition, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:14 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
burlivesleftn ut wrote:Because it just doesn't really deliver the goods. The idea is AWESOME, but basically what we get is a lot of running around on a studio backlot with a bunch of grocery baskets scattered around to make it look post-apocalyptic and scary. I don't hate the movie, but it's just so underwhelming.

Which is a the good a reason as a any a to go anna remake a the thing, eh? With a the big a budget anna alla the talent that a the Hollywood, she can a muster a so's a to bring a the awesome idea a to fruition, no?

Like, replacing all those grocery baskets with shopping carts!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:23 pm

Now a you're talking a the Dino's language, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:54 pm

minstrel wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:Batman Begins is the intro of Batsy. Its not a remake.

Hmm. Somehow, I don't think the name "Batsy" will strike fear into the hearts of evil-doers.

"Batsy Begins"
"Batsy Returns"
"Batsy and Robsy"
"Batsy Versus Jokesy"

etc.

Batso is more frightening.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:03 pm

I heard the majority of the exteriors in Escape From New York were filmed in the St. Louis area...
Apparentely they hadn't completely cleaned up from a huge fire in their downtown area so it had the "perfect" look and feel...

Sadly - all the original shopping baskets were lost in the fire...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:35 pm

Throughout ESCAPE FROM L.A. different people keep mentioning that Snake pulled off a wicked escape out of Cleveland in the time since EFNY, so there's a sequel/prequel opportunity there. I wanna see Plissken kick ass Buckeye style!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Burl wrote: Running around on a studio backlot

havocSchultz wrote:I heard the majority of the exteriors in Escape From New York were filmed in the St. Louis area...
Apparentely they hadn't completely cleaned up from a huge fire in their downtown area so it had the "perfect" look and feel...

Sadly - all the original shopping baskets were lost in the fire...

It is true! Most was filmed on location in the shittiest of fire and flood devastated places, at night, listen to the commentary it is up there with the best of 'em. So :P to Burl and his over lack of love for the snake.

I blame the voodoo sexual powers of my sig for this news and for that I apologise :( :(

Loincloth butler...... BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAAaaaa!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Vegeta on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 pm

Don't know what to say about the whole EFNY thing...

...but, all I know is WinslowLeach's new av disturbs me and gives me a huge case of WTF is that?!?!?!?!?!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:55 pm

The first images are from I Spit On Your Grave. If you want to know what it's like to get raped by a retard who can't cum because his sociopathic friends are giving him a hard time as he rapes you, that's your film. See it on IMAX if you can.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:57 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:If you want to know what it's like to get raped by a retard who can't cum because his sociopathic friends are giving him a hard time as he rapes you, that's your film.

Sounds a like a my time back inna the WWII, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:23 am

Boy, it doesn't take long for a Zone discussion to turn really ugly, does it?

Sheesh!
minstrel

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 am

LOL!!

I Spit on your grave is genius!! Not because of the sickening, disturbing rape sequences, but because the girl who is raped gets the best kind of REVENGE on the scum who messed her up!! Thats why I personally like it.

And no I dont want to see a remake!! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:53 am

WinslowLeach wrote:I Spit on your grave is genius!!

Thanks for taking the quick way to invalidating every opinion you have ever had, have now, or will ever have in the future.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:57 am

Is that really 'Death by Plunger' I'm looking at?

'Cos that would suck......and pump.....and suck....and pump.....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:I Spit on your grave is genius!!

Thanks for taking the quick way to invalidating every opinion you have ever had, have now, or will ever have in the future.

LOL! Burl, this is me! Winslow your old friend from Teh Zone!

Really I think its an amazing film. I'm really looking at it in an visual storytelling way too. Its a daring work of cinema. I know its not seen that way by alot of people, but thats how I feel. Art is not always safe ya know!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Is that really 'Death by Plunger' I'm looking at?

'Cos that would suck......and pump.....and suck....and pump.....

No he doesnt die....in THAT scene. :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brainiac on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:18 am

Hummmm.....seems Carpenter is behind this project according to Variety. :shock:

New Line plotting Butler 'Escape'

'Escape' plan for New Line
By DAVE MCNARY New Line has won the bidding war for a remake of "Escape From New York," with "300" star Gerard Butler attached and Neal Moritz producing through his Original Films banner.
Minimajor closed the deal Thursday, three days after CAA began shopping the package to studios in the wake of Butler's emergence as a rising star, thanks to last weekend's boffo launch of "300" (Daily Variety, March 13).

"Black Hawk Down" scribe Ken Nolan is attached to pen the script. Exec producers include Original's Ori Marmur; Ron Halpern and Frederic Sichler of Canal Plus, which held the remake rights; and John Carpenter, who directed the original 1981 "Escape From New York."

Butler would portray Snake Plissken, the convict and war hero who's sent into a futuristic New York City -- which has been turned into a giant maximum security prison -- to rescue the president of the U.S. after his plane is knocked down by terrorists. The original was set in 1998.

Kurt Russell played Plissken in the original pic and again in Carpenter's 1996 sequel "Escape From Los Angeles."

Moritz is a producer on "Click," "The Fast and the Furious," "Evan Almighty," "I Am Legend" and "Maid of Honor," which is due to go into production next month.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961252.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2564
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:27 am

Moritz is a producer on "Click," "The Fast and the Furious," "Evan Almighty," "I Am Legend" and "Maid of Honor," which is due to go into production next month.

That's a little frightening. I guess I can't get too critical, 'cause three of the five haven't even been released yet... but let's just say this whole project is troublesome...
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:27 am

And once again, if it sucks , we still have the original.

I do hope it justifies not working on something actually original, i.e like the Assault remake; which worked as a modern retelling. Ahhh, to compare Shakespearian Rio Bravo themed remakes to this seems kinda glib, but heck I hope they do something good with it, like confronting real issues with this dramatic situation. Heck, I don't even mind if it loses a little of the originals nihlism... I must be going soft.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:58 am

brainiac wrote:Hummmm.....seems Carpenter is behind this project according to Variety. :shock:

In the way that he's 'behind' Rob Zombie's Halloween?

I don't know - I suppose there are worse films to remake, but I bet a) The studio are looking at this films cult status and thinking a remake will draw huge audiences, and b) that the remake won't draw huge audiences.

Ho-hum - onwards and upwards!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:43 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:The first images are from I Spit On Your Grave. If you want to know what it's like to get raped by a retard who can't cum because his sociopathic friends are giving him a hard time as he rapes you, that's your film.

WinslowLeach wrote:I Spit on your grave is genius!! Not because of the sickening, disturbing rape sequences, but because the girl who is raped gets the best kind of REVENGE on the scum who messed her up!! Thats why I personally like it.

Wait a minute, that actualy happens ?

I thought it was a metaphor for how shitty the film is.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:04 am

Har Har Har.

I dont think its shitty at all. Its a very well made low budget shocker. Have you ever actually watched the uncut version of it? Do you know why it was made? How is it "shitty" exactly? Lets put this one on the table.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:17 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Har Har Har.

I dont think its shitty at all. Its a very well made low budget shocker. Have you ever actually watched the uncut version of it? Do you know why it was made? How is it "shitty" exactly? Lets put this one on the table.

Heh heh - you controversial fucker!! :P

*Puts gun down*

"I forgive you"

/Amon Goeth

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:20 am

Well if people are going to dismiss movies as "shitty" they should at least explain why. Half of the time people just go by popular opinion and dont even experience the thing for themselves. Everyone calls I Spit On Your Grave a "piece of shit", but I bet alot of them never have even seen it or found out what the actual incident was that inspired it to be made.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:27 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Har Har Har.

Who me?

I haven't seen it at all, I was just saying that I thought burl was just trying to find an impressive way to word his dislike for the movie instead of actualy describing it.

BTW Am I totally confused now or did you edit your post?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:44 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Well if people are going to dismiss movies as "shitty" they should at least explain why. Half of the time people just go by popular opinion and dont even experience the thing for themselves. Everyone calls I Spit On Your Grave a "piece of shit", but I bet alot of them never have even seen it or found out what the actual incident was that inspired it to be made.

From the neutrals perspective, teh Zone is working though - I'd never heard of this film before, but as a direct result of the difference in opinion going on, its one I'll be looking out for in the future. I'm not saying its top of the list or anything - but I'll recognise it if it ever comes my way, and I'll watch it for myself.

I'm quite tempted to attack people indiscrimminately with a plunger as well - just to show that not all influence is positive....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:47 am

Al_Shut wrote: did you edit your post?

There WAS editing!! And it beat my 'quote' too - so now people are going to read my post and think "Hmm - Doc's gone loopy again...that wasn't too controversial"

Damn you Winslow - too quick on the draw for me!!! Bet you can't play Campdown Races though....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:52 am

Fair enough! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:22 am

Okay - this will end this bit of threadjack (possibly) but Winslow - start up an I Spit on Your Grave thread - then you can explain the incidident that inspired this movie...

Then I can (try) and explain why it's one of the only movies I actually turned off before the end cause it annoyed and bugged me and what-not so much...

I'm from the camp that doesn't like it - save for maybe a few small moments - but I respect that you do...I don't necessarily understand why - but to each their own...

But I'm sure we'd get a bit of discussion out of it in it's own thread...and like I said, I would like to hear what "inspired" it...

But I still think Meir Zarachi is a fairly talentless hack...

Either way...start the thread - and I'll post in it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:27 am

havocSchultz wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote: If they remake Sabrina or some shit, I could care less.

But they did remake Sabrina...and Harrison Ford was the bomb in it, yo...

I know. But its Sabrina. :)

Havoc: I know you hate I Spit On Your Grave and think its terrible, as do probably everyone else on this board. Now if I open a topic about that movie, Im going to be the only person defending it and saying I like it alot. Im really not in the mood to take on the entire Zone over one film right now. Its going to be 1 against 100.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:32 am

WinslowLeach wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote: If they remake Sabrina or some shit, I could care less.

But they did remake Sabrina...and Harrison Ford was the bomb in it, yo...

I know. But its Sabrina. :)

Havoc: I know you hate I Spit On Your Grave and think its terrible, as do probably everyone else on this board. Now if I open a topic about that movie, Im going to be the only person defending it and saying I like it alot. Im really not in the mood to take on the entire Zone over one film right now.

Fine!

I'll start it and you better post in it...

I have no problem with you liking it...
I technically can't say that "I hate" the film...I didn't enjoy what I saw of it...but I never finished the film...one day I just might...

I picked up the collector's edition DVD a few years ago and now it's just sitting around...

So, technically - I never really watched much past the rape scene - it could've been the mood I was in - or just the way I was feeling - but it completely rubbed me the wrong way...
I've never re-visited it since - cause almost everybody I've talked to felt the same way - so I figured that's just the way it is - but now that somebody actually feverishly defends it - I might be convinced to give it another go...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:28 am

HAHA I love the Master of the Flying Guillotine gif.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HanCholo1138 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:12 pm

I can see it now, "Rob Cohen/Paul WS Anderson signs for remake of Escape from NY". Butler signing to play Snake will be the high point of this production. It's all down hill from here...
HanCholo1138
GLIB

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:33 am

It looks like he's definitely signed. This is from some film blog, which I should have cited but didn't...sorry!

[quote]The “Escape From New Yorkâ€
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:30 am

Why don't they remake Escape From LA instead but make it a sequel instead of a remake of Escape From NY?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:07 pm

madness? this is NEW YORK!!!!!!!

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fawst on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Honestly, this is a movie that can stand the remake treatment and in no way degrade the original. It can only offend the fans, and they are the cult fans in the first place. Trust me, I get it. If they were to remake Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas, I'd firebomb the production offices. But someone said it best earlier, it's a great idea that didn't execute well. With a higher budget, better production values, etc., this could be an amazingly kickass action movie. I am completely stoked for it. I haven't seen the original since I was like 7 or 8, I'll have to watch it again. But even back then, I realised that there was just so much lack of impact due to the low budget at the time. I was such a smart kid!

Then drugs wrecked my brain. *sigh*
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:05 pm

I wonder if they'll make Snake Plisskin an American in this now that Butler's playing him. I love Butler as an actor, but I never buy his American accent. It'd be much simpler just to have Butler go with what's natural.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:07 am

He has a the accent? I dinna notice...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:05 pm

According to the Main Page, this remake will also be a bit of a prequel...

So...
Is he gonna be escaping from New York before he escapes from New York...?

And will this prequel give us a bunch of back-story and (hopefully!!!) de-mystify the character like so many other prequels of late...?

And will they change the title to Plissken Rising...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:10 pm

To me, a remake of EFNY is like someone trying to remake A Fistful of Dollars with Hugh Jackman or something. You just dont do that. Kurt Russell is the only Snake Plissken there is for me. Same with Chris Reeve and Superman.

A prequel is better than a remake I guess, at least they can say hes the "young Snake".
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:16 pm

Here's a quote from the main page - that actually links to the original story at Suicidegirls.com or something like that...

It's an excerpt from the interview between Daniel Robert Epstein and John Carpenter...

Daniel Robert Epstein: I spoke with Will O'Neil who wrote one of those Snake Plissken comic books a few years ago. He had said that you, Kurt [Russell] and [producer] Debra Hill owned the character of Snake. Is that true?

John Carpenter: Yes, but we share it with Canal Plus. It’s a long story, but the movie was originally made for a company called Avco Embassy. Avco Embassy was sold to Dino De Laurentiis. Dino De Laurentiis sold his share to Canal Plus.

DRE: So in this remake they’re talking about...

John: I don’t know that it’s a remake. I think it’s a lot about Snake before he gets to New York.

Could be worse...
Dino could've hung onto his shares of Avco and then remade this film himself...

I hear he was looking at Rick Baker to wear the "Kurt Russell as Plissken" suit for the film...

And Jessica Lange would've played Cabbie...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:25 pm

I still love Dino's Kong remake more than PJs.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:32 pm

Hmmm, if this remake/reimaging/prequel is alot about snake BEFORE he gets to NY, then I'm not sure I like it.

I don't need an hour of a movie wasted on telling me why Snake Plissken became Snake Plissken... give me the fucking mystique that is Snake and get his ass behind those walls!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:35 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I still love Dino's Kong remake more than PJs.

Of course. It's shorter.
minstrel

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News