Dead Like Me: The Movie!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Dead Like Me: The Movie!

Postby jason.cinema on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:58 am

They're filming the Dead Like Me movie right now in Montreal. The day before yesterday was their first day of filming, if I remember correctly.

Here's Ellen Muth's blog. She's been great about updating it constantly.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=148913492

Per her...

"Just to let all you DLMers out there know that this past week, I have been informed that after this "Dead Like Me" movie comes out, it may, go back to series. After seeing the movie, you'll have to be the judge of whether or not you like the new concept. Give it a chance. I know we all hate change but it has been two years since season 2 so there has to be evolution."

After doing some digging, I discovered this...

http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/au...newlisting.html

*Potential spoilers below*

(Montreal, Canada) - Send photographs & resumes ASAP to: Details Are only Available By Subscription.. Title: DEAD LIKE ME. CAST, Ellen Muth, Callum Blue, Britt McKillit, Jasmine Guy, Cynthia Stevenson; PROD, Hudson Hickman, Craig Rossler, Sara Berrisford; DIR, Steven Herek; SCR, John Masius. Contract: Union. Shoot Dates (for this role): July 3, 2007 (in Montreal, Canada) STORY: When Calvin Kane, a slick businessman who couldn't care less about helping the newly dead, takes over Rube's Head Reaper duties, all hell breaks loose, bringing out the worst in Daisy, Roxy, and Mason. George, however, is determined to set her latest, botched reap right, especially because the boy who was supposed to die, Hudson Hart, is her little sister Reggie's secret boyfriend. In the process, George and Reggie re-connect for real, for the first time. Breakdown-- Daisy: Late 20s-Early 30s, Caucasian, preferably blonde, pretty and spoiled. She's an actress who died in the 1930s, supposedly on a set fire during the filming of "Gone With the Wind." Despite her somewhat immoral and solipsistic world-view, Daisy can be charming, extremely likable and generous when the mood strikes her. To Mason's jealousy and annoyance, Daisy immediately falls for Calvin, the new Head Reaper, who helps Daisy secure an understudy role in the play "After the Fall." Of course, being an understudy will not do for Daisy, and she deliberately injures the lead actress so she can take over the part. However, the stress of performing every night proves too much for Daisy, and she begins drinking heavily -- even during performances. Her love affair with Calvin sours quickly after that, and Daisy realizes, along with Mason and Roxy, that slacking on her reaper duties has been her true downfall. NAMES PREFERRED. Lead. (Posted: June 20, 2007)

And finally, am I the only one put on edge a bit by the casting breakdown stating that John Masius wrote the screenplay? He took over as showrunner after Bryan Fuller left, and IMHO, the show's snarkiness and dysfunctional edge really went away. What happened to Stephen Godchaux writing the film? Despite them not being able to get Mandy Patinkin (who's currently on Criminal Minds on CBS) and Laura Harris (who's on Women's Murder Club on ABC this fall) back, I'm still very, very, very excited about the movie and hope that the series returns for many more episodes.
jason.cinema
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:46 am

Oh Fuck yeah....This was an incredibly awesome series that ended leaving me wanting so much more.

Please let this be true.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:37 am

It jumped the shark when Bryan Fuller left.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:42 am

I just saw the first episode the other day on Sci-Fi. HIlarious show I missed the first time round.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:43 am

It gets soooo much better CK. Very very intelligent script I thought.

papalazeru

Postby jason.cinema on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:21 am

Fried Gold wrote:It jumped the shark when Bryan Fuller left.

I somewhat agree; I think Fuller's writing made the show. As I stated above, the cynicism and biting wit left Dead Like Me when he did.

Still, I'll watch the movie. I also hope the series returns to television very soon.
jason.cinema
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:50 pm

THE MOVIE IS OUT FOR ALL FANS OF THE SERIES.

Oh my gosh! Awesome series.

I'm surprised theres not a series thread for this (though I'm sure there is somewhere).

Such an underated series it's incredible. It had the superficial feel of a teen demographic but with such adult context underneath. The way they dealt with death for the dead was brilliant.

papalazeru

Re: Dead Like Me: The Movie!

Postby tfactor on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:33 pm

This show was awesome! But I am a little concerned why Mandy patinkin's name is not of the cast list, plus this movie is not on his IMDB page. Mandy quit Criminal Minds a while back because he didn't want to stay in CA (east coast represent ) so I don't understand why he wouldn't be all over this movie. But we will likely see it either way, preferrably with MP.

on a related note I just saw this: THE PRINCESS BRIDE GAME trailer here! OH FOLKS! This looks terrible but does this mean we could actually get a Princess Bride release of better quality for XBL or PS3? My fingers are crossed in hopes! :shock: :oops:

Enjoy
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby judderman on Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 am

Dead Like Me had a massive problem: it's concept was so difficult to grasp that if you missed the pilot you never really figured out what was going on. (Wait, they're dead? But... they eat and sleep! And they have bodies, but... they're different! And those gremlin things... what the hell?) For the movie to work they're gonna need a LOT of exposition.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 05, 2009 6:32 am

Dead like me was an awesome series, better than most. It wasn't quite so much about George as George was about reflecting on the way that families deal with loss. At time it was very touching how George couldn't come to terms with the loss of her life, or the loss from her family and the grief they suffered while at the same time maintaining her own prejudices towards her mother and her sister.

Screw that reviewer!!

papalazeru

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 am

The movie sucked. And I really liked the TV show.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby theunforgettablefire on Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 am

I have GOT to pick this show up on DVD at some point.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 am

Dead Like Me: Life After Death

It was okay. It felt like a typical episode of the show (which is good), but not like a good written one (which is of course not so good). It seemed totally unfocussed and stuffed with way too many subplots. Not to mention that the story about George's sister seemed only to be there, to bring the "mourning family" storyline from the series to an end. I hated the funeral for Delores's cat. I'm still not over the loss of my cat and even if it was meant to be a joke, everything Delores said was so true. :( And of course the movie needed Rube! I hope they find a way to bring him back, if they make another movie.
Anyway, it was good to see more of Dead Like Me, but it wasn't as good as I hoped for.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Return to Coaxial