Hollywood on Strike! (Actors' Civil War!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Hollywood on Strike! (Is the End Nigh?!?)

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Rogue FTW!

So, pardon my ignorance, but WTF does FTW stand for?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:27 pm

minstrel wrote:

For The Win. Its Internet lingo man. Check it!

:wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:59 am

minstrel wrote:

I always thought FTW ment FUCK THE WORLD .... thats at least what TAZZ use to say (and thats what his world title said)

On my very last argument about all this shit, I give you this comment from DREAMWORKS about the recent purchase of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY

[quote]The question entitling this entry is purposely loaded. Sure it could be approached ontologically; but, for my immediate purposes, it’s simply pragmatic, if not litigious. Apparently, one of the first conditions of the deal director Oren Peli struck with Dreamworks—who purchased domestic and remake rights of Paranormal Activity at Slamdance—is that Peli’s original is to have no further exhibition, including the two Bay Area festivals where it was scheduled to play: San Francisco’s IndieFest and San Jose’s Cinequest.

DreamWorks representative Chip Sullivan offered: “It’s not that we don’t want anybody to see Paranormal Activity; but, the reason filmmakers go to film festivals is to sell their films. Once we bought it and now that we own it, we have to think of a strategy of what exactly we’re doing about the remake and all that. We could keep showing it but we have no vested interest in having it be shown until we determine internally what we’re doing with the movie. That’s sort of typical of all films that go to film festivals; once it’s sold, it’s off. These films that don’t have a distributor; once the distributor picks it up, the game’s over.â€
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby minstrel on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:09 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
minstrel wrote:[quote= "Leckomaniac"]
Rogue FTW!

For The Win. Its Internet lingo man. Check it!

:wink:[/quote]

I used to think it meant For Those Wondering, which seemed to make sense a lot of times I've seen it. But "Rogue FTW" didn't make sense that way, so I had to ask ...
minstrel

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:03 am

I just assumed it was WTF backwards, which I found really funny, like you'd be so excited you forget the order of the words...

Rogue Fuck The What!!??
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:12 am

Poor old Lecko has a bit of a speech impediment.

He was trying to recall his excitement at the possibility that that Battlestar Galactica could be up and running again soon so he tried to shout, FTL (Faster than Light! The drive they use in BSG (for those who don't watch)).

Unfortunately the speech impediment acted up and he said,
'Faster than Wight' FTW.

Mystery solved.

*Columbo walks off to his trusty old beaten up banger of a car and drives off*
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 am

The TV and Film Actors Unions' Have Severed Ties and will negotiate with the AMPTP separately. Click on the link to enjoy some wonderful mudslinging between the two unions.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Hollywood on Strike! (Actors Civil War!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Jesus Christ! First the WGA, now the goddamn SAG cant keep their numbers in line, and now there are TWO fucking unions bargining!

My head hurts....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:13 am

honestly... the work is so disparate it makes a lot of sense...

this could mean that if the TVSAG makes an agreement we get no stoppage even if the film industry grinds to a hault.

although I'm sure we'll see some kind of unity from the two groups if one doesn't make an agreement.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:06 am

To be fair,

I'm quite happy for the striking because Companies and Corporations have been maximising their profits for years.

It's the same in most industries but because of the freelance nature of TV and Film work, I can understand why they should strike to keep wages high or receive a bigger percentage of the pie.

It used to be that in adverts you'd work for a fee with repeat fees for other showins, now most of them will buy you out with a bigger chequeue but you will see nothing of the repeats, which works in favour of Corporations.

I'm all for the little guy earning an extra buck.

I keep thinking it's all going to end up like Bowfinger with Julio Hispanic picking up the slack.

papalazeru

Hollywood on Strike! (Actors Civil War!)

Postby bastard_robo on Wed May 07, 2008 2:28 am

Let the games begin a new....

Hi Harry,

You probably already know about this, but in case you don't, here's the email that was sent out to all the sag members today. This strike is pretty much a guarantee at this point. The question is, for how long. If you use this, call me Brother of Bateman.

Screen Actors Guild released the following statement today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AMPTP Suspends Negotiations with Screen Actors Guild

Guild Offers to Continue and Negotiate "Around the Clock" to Complete Deal

Los Angeles, May 6, 2008 -The AMPTP suspended negotiations with Screen Actors Guild today over the objections of SAG's negotiating committee. The committee had urged that the AMPTP continue discussion and had offered to negotiate around the clock if necessary in order to secure an agreement.

The AMPTP declined to continue negotiations with SAG claiming that it was necessary to turn their attention to negotiating with American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA).

Screen Actors Guild National President Alan Rosenberg said, "It is unfortunate and deeply troubling that the AMPTP would suspend our negotiations at this critical juncture. We have modified our proposals over the last three weeks in effort to bargain a fair contract for our members. We are committed to preserving rights that have been in place for decades and not giving the studios the right to use excerpts of our work in new media without our consent and negotiation. Our negotiating team is prepared to work around the clock for as long as it takes to get a fair deal. We want to keep the town working."

Over the last four weeks Screen Actors Guild negotiated in good faith and modified many of its proposals to the AMPTP. To date, the AMPTP has offered only a few modifications to its new media proposal which was submitted to SAG in three documents containing 36 provisions that differed from the deals agreed to with the WGA and DGA.

SAG's National Executive Director and Chief Negotiator Doug Allen stated, "We were hopeful that we could continue negotiations with the AMPTP and reach a tentative agreement. We modified our proposals in effort to narrow the gap between us and now we need the AMPTP do the same. SAG's objective is to keep the town working and get a fair contract, so we are gravely disappointed that we will now have to delay to a process that we started over three weeks ago. We are willing to work for as long as it takes to negotiate a good agreement for our members."

The AMPTP put forward a proposal that differed substantially from the deals signed with the DGA and WGA. Management's clip demand would gut existing provisions regarding actors' consent to use of their clips and would allow studios and networks to use or sell clips - going forward and from their libraries - in any way they choose and without consent.

— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Hollywood on Strike! (Actors' Civil War!)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:51 pm

man oh man...

It's now June 24. The strike is scheduled to begin, I believe, on July 1.

Anybody have any idea how things are going? Are the sides talking at all? It doesn't seem like I've read nearly as much about this going into it as I had about the WGA strike at this stage, but maybe i'm living under a rock?? Did they resolve everything and I just missed it somehow?

Why isn't everyone FREAKING OUT?!??!?!?!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby minstrel on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:man oh man...

Anybody have any idea how things are going? Are the sides talking at all? It doesn't seem like I've read nearly as much about this going into it as I had about the WGA strike at this stage, but maybe i'm living under a rock?? Did they resolve everything and I just missed it somehow?

Didn't you get the memo? We're not freaking out because we all got together and decided that we didn't give a shit about movies and TV and we're really much more into knitting tea cozies. So that is what the Zone is dedicated to now. Let those actors go on strike! We don't care! We've seen the LIGHT!
minstrel

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:31 pm

minstrel wrote:

Didn't you get the memo? We're not freaking out because we all got together and decided that we didn't give a shit about movies and TV and we're really much more into knitting tea cozies. So that is what the Zone is dedicated to now. Let those actors go on strike! We don't care! We've seen the LIGHT!

BTW. I just wanted to show off my newest creations...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:34 pm

The United Tea-Cozy Workers No. 74 just called, they've been on strike since 1994 but apparently nobody noticed.

We should turn this into a cow-pr0n site...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:The United Tea-Cozy Workers No. 74 just called, they've been on strike since 1994 but apparently nobody noticed.

We should turn this into a cow-pr0n site...

Sigh...OK

Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:03 am

Well, I read in EW a few weeks ago that the big wigs who want the strike held a rally and nobody (i.e. the big celebrity actors) came. I don't think there's as much of a want to do this as some people think. If it does happen, it won't be supported like the writers' strike was and should be over quickly (all for nought).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:19 pm

RogueScribner wrote:

Well, I read in EW a few weeks ago that the big wigs who want the strike held a rally and nobody (i.e. the big celebrity actors) came. I don't think there's as much of a want to do this as some people think. If it does happen, it won't be supported like the writers' strike was and should be over quickly (all for nought).

Because, like most Union BS, only the Big wigs will make out on any new deals..

on a side note, from the COMIC CON thread..

How the SAG Strike Could Ruin Comic-Con for Fans
6/24/2008
Posted by Frosty ShareThis

While most people assume everything is great here in Hollywood, as the writer’s strike ended months ago and everyone is working again…unfortunately, this is not the case. If you didn’t know, the Screen Actor’s Guild contract ends with the studios on June 30th, and while many people just want to keep working, there is a chance the leadership might ask the members to vote for a strike and the industry would once again shut down.

While I don’t know the chances of this happening, it’s definitely something the studios are concerned about as Sony scheduled junkets for the rest of their big summer movies this week, in case the strike actually happens. Also, movies like Terminator 4 and Transformers 2 have put into their schedule months of filming without actors…so in case the strike does happen they can keep shooting.

Again, I don’t know what the deal is…but I do know one important thing that most fans probably haven’t thought of…if the actors go on strike…they aren’t going to Comic-Con next month.

A strike means the SAG members won’t be promoting anything.

That means no actors from Watchmen. No one from Star Trek. No one from SAG would be promoting. Of course, an actor can still go to Comic-Con as a fan and walk around…they just won’t be on stage in Hall H or signing autographs at studio sponsored events.

While a SAG strike will cause major headaches, some actors have another union called AFTRA (the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists), and they’re close to finalizing a deal with the studios, which means they could attend the Convention and promote. But, as of now, it’s not signed, and many AFTRA members are also in SAG. What that means is…if SAG strikes, the dual membership members aren’t going to be promoting either.

Look, I’m not trying to use George Bush fear tactics to scare you into not going to Comic-Con. The fact is, all the directors and producers will be there and they’ll definitely be bringing footage that’ll make you piss your pants. At least that’s what I’ve heard about the Watchmen footage….

But most people go to Comic-Con to get a glimpse of some of the biggest actors working in the Entertainment industry. Where else can a fan from Colorado show up and know their favorite actors will be there and they’d actually have a chance to get an autograph or ask them a question.

I know before working on Collider, going to Comic-Con was a big deal to me. After all, where else could a kid from suburbia see their favorite actors and ask a question. So while I currently get amazing opportunities to ask questions due to the site, it doesn’t mean I've forgotten my roots or what it means to the next generation of fans that aren’t in my shoes.

Right now the 4 day badge is already sold out for Comic-Con 2008 and the single day tickets are also close to selling out (Saturday is actually sold out already). This year will be bigger than ever and it’d be a shame for the Convention to not be as good as it should be due to an actors strike.

And I haven’t even opened the discussion to what another strike could do to the upcoming TV season. Last year the writers strike caused even more erosion to the networks audiences, and another strike might shrink the audience even further.

With the way the economy is and all the negativity out there in everyone’s lives, the Screen Actors Guild needs to work out a deal with the studios and make this dark cloud go away.

While I was a staunch supporter of the Writers Guild and what they fought for. If they’ve worked out a deal with the Studios and the DGA has as well, I’d like to think precedence has been set over new media money and other residuals.

For fans of TV, the audience at Comic-Con, and all the people that work in any area of the movie industry, I hope a deal gets worked out before the deadline.

That being said, I’ll see a lot of you at Comic-Con…with or without the actors.

And one last thing…I based this story on the presumption that SAG will not allow their actors to promote anything if they’re on strike. It’s possible SAG will change their stance and allow certain people to promote…but after talking to many executives in the industry yesterday, they all think if SAG goes on strike they will not be allowed to promote.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:26 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:31 am

TheButcher wrote:From Variety: SAG to seek strike authorization

SAG = FUCKING RETARDS

You guys bash me all you want, but I still stand by my FUCK unions stance.

These guys want to strike when the economy is in the shitter, fine, they can get in line with the Auto unions and watch as they HELP bring down their own industry... Good luck you fucks!

P.S... .. Yeay Captian Morgan!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:29 pm

The Civil War continues, it seems...

Key moderate faction of SAG calls for caution in casting strike votes

I have a feeling, the way things are right now, that a strike vote wont pass. They need 75% affirmative to walk out. Even if it does pass, with any luck they'll just use it as a bargaining chip in negotiation and avoid a strike. I want actors to be reasonably taken care of...but I can't take another strike. More reality TV could cause my head to explode.

If it doesn't pass, however, the SAG leadership better sign whatever is in front of them because they'd have NO bargaining position at all...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:58 am

Is it really smart to strike when the economy is in the shitter? I bet the studios can whether the storm better than most actors can.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:35 am

Entertainment booms in a slumping economy. Escapism is all a down trodden family can do to forget the hunger in their bellies.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:30 am

Right, and TV will be the hardest hit if the strike happens. But most of the studios' money is from film and DVD and it could be nearly a year before they start to feel a pinch. Can actors wait that long?

Plus this could be a boon for independent films. I believe during the writers strike what hurt things was that many registered writers were also producers of their content. So it stopped a lot of projects cold. With the actors, SAG and AFTRA aren't seeing eye-to-eye and AFTRA can keep people working in television (they have nearly 60% of the number of members that SAG does). Sure, the big stars will probably disappear for a while, but again, it could be an opportunity for smaller shows and talent to shine. Unless I'm missing some key component, I think the actors strike is in a far worse effective position than the writers were a year ago. When you lump the current economic state of the country, I think they'd be playing with fire if they went on strike now. Retardo is right that entertainment usually boons during tough times. The studios will try to take advantage of that, SAG or no SAG. Meanwhile, if they strike, many actors will be trying to find other sources of income. Good luck with that.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:12 am

I agree that is is a shitty time to call for a strike but if it's coming to the end fo a contract and sign any deal now, it could end up hurting them in the long run.

Perhaps a short term contract of over 2 years would work better for them rather than getting into a long 5 years deal.

I think they have a legitimate right to strike for a piece of the pie as much as everyone else.

papalazeru

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:15 pm

RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:26 pm

I dbout this... The Academy Awards is the biggest Ego rub for the damn actors.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:24 am

Good trick since they only get 4 categories of the 24 current major categories.

I would think the SAG awards would be the biggest ego stroking for actors.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 am

Deadline February 25, 2017:
WGA Members “Ready To Strike” After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
David Robb wrote:The threat of a writers strike continued to mount today as the WGA held the last of 11 membership informational meetings in advance of next month’s negotiations for a new film and TV contract.

“We’re always ready for a strike,” a TV writer laughed as he left the meeting at the Beverly Hilton. “Television is in another Golden Age and the companies are reaping record profits, but writers aren’t sharing in that. Our incomes are going down, so it’s going to be a tough negotiation.”

“Writers deserve more and the companies can afford to pay it,” said another TV writer who attended the meeting, “and we may just have to fight for it.” As for a strike, he said: “I pray that there will not be one, but I fear that there will be one.”

“The general feeling is that everybody would prefer to work,” said another writer, “but given the companies’ profits and our declining wages, it’s now or never. This meeting was not a strike vote, but we have certain needs that have to be met. Nobody wants to strike, but we are willing to if we have to.”

“We are all standing strong for the union,” said another writer.

Another added: “We have a unified guild.”

Solidarity and the credible threat of a strike are certainly helpful going into any contract negotiation, and many of those interviewed today said they hope the companies recognize that they are united behind the union’s “legitimate” and “reasonable” demands, and will make a fair deal to avoid a strike.

Guild records show that “overall median earnings increased 17.4% between 2008 and 2014,” but guild leaders say that “the average income of members in both features and series TV have actually decreased over the (last) decade.”

There’s no doubt that Hollywood’s film writers have seen their wages steadily erode over the past two decades, largely due to a decline in the number of films being released. According to the WGA West’s annual reports, screenwriters earned less in 2015 ($362.1 million) than they did in 1996 ($364.4 million) – and that’s in real dollars. Adjusted for inflation, they collectively earned about a third less in 2015 than they did in 1996.

The guild’s records also show that in 2015, TV writers earned $803 million under the WGA West’s basic contract, for an average annual income of $194,478, which was $48,936 more than they made in 2006.

But those numbers are only based on guild minimums, and don’t include the moneys they make as writers employed in additional capacities, such as producers and executive producers. And that’s where TV writer-producers are taking it on the chin. Two recent guild surveys of its working members found a 23% overall decline in weekly compensation for series TV writer-producers from the 2013-14 season to the 2015-15 season – a downward trend that guild officials maintain has been going on for a decade as the TV industry continues to go through a major restructuring.

The leading cause for the downturn is the shortening of many shows’ seasons, with fewer episodes meaning fewer dollars for writer-producers. In years past, writers might be paid for 22 episodes strung out over 44 weeks, but it’s now not uncommon for seasons to last for only 10 or 12 episodes.

“Everybody agrees that television is changing and that the way writers are paid needs to change,” said a writer leaving today’s meeting. “Nobody wants a strike, and the union will do its darndest to get a fair deal.”

The guild’s ailing – and some say failing – health plan will be another key bargaining point when negotiations with management’s AMPTP begin on March 13.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Deadline:
WGA Negotiators Call For Strike-Authorization Vote – Read The Letter
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News