Hollywood on Strike! (Actors' Civil War!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:37 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:If you are so concerned with the studios aking money why are you stealing from them?

The writers/directors/actors pay isn't extra money. All three of these unions took pay cuts in the past to work in a system where in pay was deferred until later and incentive based. If you work on a movie that does well the larger your residuals thus the incentive to produce more popular (and profitable for the studios) work.

You miss the point. Because Epic Movie sucks and makes money...he has the right to steal movies he enjoys. Why should he pay for something he enjoys when other movies suck? Like, duh. It makes perfect sense.

:roll:

You're right! It's so simple now. I can't see the forest for the trees. :!:
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:42 am

This thread needs some HOFFA!

HOFFA!!!
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Hollywood on Strike! (Is the End Nigh?!?)

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:21 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:If you are so concerned with the studios making money why are you stealing from them?

The writers/directors/actors pay isn't extra money. All three of these unions took pay cuts in the past to work in a system where in pay was deferred until later and incentive based. If you work on a movie that does well the larger your residuals thus the incentive to produce more popular (and profitable for the studios) work.

It's also good to find out that you aren't only a thief but a skinflint to boot.

Bravo to Theta.

I have been enlightend...

Knowing this is how hollywood works really makes me not want to work for it.

Knowing this, fuck it, I might just never pay for a movie any more untill PROPER change is made. I'll live vicariously through the bootlegs that come into my possesion (Which for the record, I NEVER download any movies of the net myself, Never have and never will.) Wait for DVD or watch the burned copies my friend makes off of his NETFLIX que. In the end I might end up spending no more than maybe $150 a year on films..

I'll wait and watch the film industry die like the recording industry is slowly doing right now.

And on a side note, I found this quote from Robert Rodriguez on IMDB
Left the Writers' Guild of America (WGA) in late 2001, citing the organization had "too many rules and just take your money."
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby theangiechrist on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 am

Robert Rodriguez has major balls. I love him.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:35 am

theangiechrist wrote:Robert Rodriguez has major balls. I love him.

The man's my personal hero! He's the reason (and godzilla movies) are why I want to go into filmmaking. He is balls out... man speaks his mind and dose shit his own way.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:13 am

Most writers, directors, and actors live from project to project. They aren't raking in millions. Sometimes weeks, if not months, could pass between projects. How are actors supposed to be able to audition, writers to work on their spec script, or directors pitch their ideas if they are constantly waiting tables? That's one of the ideas behind the residuals: it's a bit of a safety net between jobs. The other idea is that when people pour their creative soul into a project and a studio rakes in the cash hand over fist, it stands to reason the people who actually created the project should share in the success. The studio system is dead for a reason and it's mainly because you can't trust a company to do the right thing by its employees.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Zarles on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:05 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Most writers, directors, and actors live from project to project. They aren't raking in millions. Sometimes weeks, if not months, could pass between projects. How are actors supposed to be able to audition, writers to work on their spec script, or directors pitch their ideas if they are constantly waiting tables?

That's easy! They live off the tips that they're not getting from robo.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Hollywood on Strike! (Is the End Nigh?!?)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:37 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Knowing this is how hollywood works really makes me not want to work for it.

Knowing this, fuck it, I might just never pay for a movie any more untill PROPER change is made.

while you're at it, i think you should stop paying any taxes to the IRS until you're completely satisfied with how the government is running things.

i'm sure they'll understand completely.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Theta on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:03 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Knowing this is how hollywood works really makes me not want to work for it.

Well, good news, keep goin' like you're goin' and there won't be a Hollywood. Of course, you get what you pay for.[/quote]

I'll wait and watch the film industry die like the recording industry is slowly doing right now.

Not going to happen. The music industry is so warped, corrupt and static that destruction was inevitable. Hollywood will change but that change is going to be a lot more gradual and vastly different from what's going to happen to the music industry. Which is, of course, why we had this strike in the first place!

Left the Writers' Guild of America (WGA) in late 2001, citing the organization had "too many rules and just take your money."

Yeah, notice the guy who can afford not work in Hollywood but instead as an independent operator bitches about the unions. I bet he loved them back before he set himself up with his own studio.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Glad that this could be coming to an end tomorrow, but yah, that 17-day grace period is bogus. Well, I love Lost, so I'll do my part and concoct a way to stream the episodes over and over every 17 days :D
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Theta wrote:

Well, good news, keep goin' like you're goin' and there won't be a Hollywood. Of course, you get what you pay for.

Not going to happen. The music industry is so warped, corrupt and static that destruction was inevitable. Hollywood will change but that change is going to be a lot more gradual and vastly different from what's going to happen to the music industry. Which is, of course, why we had this strike in the first place!

Yeah, notice the guy who can afford not work in Hollywood but instead as an independent operator bitches about the unions. I bet he loved them back before he set himself up with his own studio.[/quote]

When you can make movies that make money on no budget, and know what the fuck your doing, Rodriguez clearly shows that you really dont need UNIONS or the shit from the stuido system. Unfortunatly, not a lot of people in movie making are that smart.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:34 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Rodriguez clearly shows that you really dont need UNIONS or the shit from the stuido system. Unfortunatly, not a lot of people in movie making are that smart.

He does rely on the "stuido system" otherwise his films would not get any form of distribution.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:48 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Most writers, directors, and actors live from project to project. They aren't raking in millions. Sometimes weeks, if not months, could pass between projects. How are actors supposed to be able to audition, writers to work on their spec script, or directors pitch their ideas if they are constantly waiting tables? That's one of the ideas behind the residuals: it's a bit of a safety net between jobs. The other idea is that when people pour their creative soul into a project and a studio rakes in the cash hand over fist, it stands to reason the people who actually created the project should share in the success. The studio system is dead for a reason and it's mainly because you can't trust a company to do the right thing by its employees.

Nor do these people NEED millions to live off of...

We all know that unless the budget is low, or the creative team is self producing the movie, everyone involved is still working for a boss, the producers.

My dad work construction for 22 years and managed to still paint his art every night. He sold dozens of works that he poured his creative soul into, and several of those paintings were then resold to other people. But he got what he asked for when he sold his art and said good bye to it as it was no longer physically his. But he still did what he loved to do and made a few bucks at it while maintaing a job.

So when one POURS their creativity into a screen play, then sells said screenplay for money, its no longer theirs. Yeah, they wrote it, but they then sold it away for a price and now the intity that paid their money for said screenplay now own it and may do what every they want with it. This is basic economics...

Look at what the basic pay is for an INDY script

:The current
applicable Guild minimum for an original screenplay purchase is $37,962:

Thats almost a years pay for most people, easily liveable even in Los Angles standards.

But the writer dosnt get all of that as they will have to pay their Union dues ontop of that.

Its all middle man crap.

And this whole strike isnt just over residuals either, as proven early on in this bs, the WGA is trying to every writer under their banner.

As part of this campaign September 20, 2006, WGAw held a Los Angeles, California unity rally in support of the America's Next Top Model writers strike. President Patric Verrone said: "Every piece of media with a moving image on a screen or a recorded voice must have a writer, and every writer must have a WGA contract

Thats just a fucking power trip bull shit right there.

Sound like the WGA heads would like every single writer under their thumb and control.
Last edited by bastard_robo on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Zarles on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 pm

So Robert doesn't use any UNIONS, huh? Tell that to those big burly motherfuckers that drive the trucks and haul the equipment on his sets. Oh, and the stunt people, too. Did I mention the craft unions yet? What about all the SAG actors he employs? The production engineers? Make-up artists? Hair stylists? Costume designers? Electricians? Set designers? The on-studio schoolteachers that he has probably hired to teach his own damn kids?

This "discussion" is barely worth continuing mainly because your team lost, (ha ha!) but seriously, dude - if you're going to insist to press on, don't make shit up.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:01 am

Zarles wrote:So Robert doesn't use any UNIONS, huh? Tell that to those big burly motherfuckers that drive the trucks and haul the equipment on his sets. Oh, and the stunt people, too. Did I mention the craft unions yet? What about all the SAG actors he employs? The production engineers? Make-up artists? Hair stylists? Costume designers? Electricians? Set designers? The on-studio schoolteachers that he has probably hired to teach his own damn kids?

This "discussion" is barely worth continuing mainly because your team lost, (ha ha!) but seriously, dude - if you're going to insist to press on, don't make shit up.

Thats because these union fuck heads made sure that no one can independantly be contracted to do any of the work. When your FORCED to use these groups, you have no other option but to do so.

SAG after one small acting gig, You HAVE to join if you want to contiue to act. Theres no "SECOND OPTION" no choice to go anywere else if one wants to continue in their "CRAFT" You join, get paid your minimum due starting out, then sag takes their cut of your hard earned cash for being in their fancy club.

Watch Full Tilt Boogie and see the problems that he had to deal with on From Dusk Till Dawn.

I'll keep saying to my dying days that the world would be better off with out lawyers and unions.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:02 am

I am actually kind of speechless. I am going to leave this thread and weep for humanity.

Lets hope for some god news tomorrow!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:05 am

Norman Rae wrote:I'll keep saying to my dying days that the world would be better off with out lawyers and unions.

Yeah, we wouldn't want people getting professional representation when it comes to handling their legal matters. I think we all know how well it works out when individuals choose to represent themselves, right? Right.

In conclusion,

Last edited by Zarles on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:20 am

bastard_robo wrote:
Zarles wrote:So Robert doesn't use any UNIONS, huh? Tell that to those big burly motherfuckers that drive the trucks and haul the equipment on his sets. Oh, and the stunt people, too. Did I mention the craft unions yet? What about all the SAG actors he employs? The production engineers? Make-up artists? Hair stylists? Costume designers? Electricians? Set designers? The on-studio schoolteachers that he has probably hired to teach his own damn kids?

Thats because these union fuck heads made sure that no one can independantly be contracted to do any of the work. When your FORCED to use these groups, you have no other option but to do so.

SAG after one small acting gig, You HAVE to join if you want to contiue to act. Theres no "SECOND OPTION" no choice to go anywere else if one wants to continue in their "CRAFT" You join, get paid your minimum due starting out, then sag takes their cut of your hard earned cash for being in their fancy club.

Watch Full Tilt Boogie and see the problems that he had to deal with on From Dusk Till Dawn.

I'll keep saying to my dying days that the world would be better off with out lawyers and unions.

What you say 'bout unions??¿

Bastard's words make Jimmy Hoffa cry.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:22 am

bastard_robo wrote:We all know that unless the budget is low, or the creative team is self producing the movie, everyone involved is still working for a boss, the producers.

My dad work construction for 22 years and managed to still paint his art every night. He sold dozens of works that he poured his creative soul into, and several of those paintings were then resold to other people. But he got what he asked for when he sold his art and said good bye to it as it was no longer physically his. But he still did what he loved to do and made a few bucks at it while maintaing a job.

So when one POURS their creativity into a screen play, then sells said screenplay for money, its no longer theirs. Yeah, they wrote it, but they then sold it away for a price and now the intity that paid their money for said screenplay now own it and may do what every they want with it. This is basic economics...

When an artist sells his paintings, does he sell the rights to those paintings as well? I mean, for the exchange of money does the artist relinquish all rights to that work? Can the buyer then go make copies of it and sell it to people for profit? Can the buyer make a sequel painting? Can the buyer make merchandise of that painting? I honestly don't know, but it seems to me that selling paintings and selling screenplays are two very different animals. The studios would prefer to pay little now in case the project doesn't work out so they can minimize their losses. If the studios make money, everyone that was a creative force behind the film makes money. Studios can rake in millions, if not billions of dollars in revenue from a movie or tv show. Why shouldn't the people who made it the great piece of entertainment it is get a piece of that? If people didn't get residuals, their asking prices up front would skyrocket and many studios wouldn't want to risk losing money on riskier projects so they simply wouldn't make them. Everything we'd ever get would be vanilla sold to the masses. This current system isn't perfect, but it allows people to take chances and, I for one, believe people should share in the success of any project they had helped create. There's a difference between the guy running cable or buidling sets and the people who craft the story, design the shots, perform the roles, and edit it all together. Every project needs its creative leaders to guide the rest of the production and those leaders deserve to make good when their projects make good.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:27 am

RogueScribner wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:W e all know that unless the budget is low, or the creative team is self producing the movie, everyone involved is still working for a boss, the producers.

When an artist sells his paintings, does he sell the rights to those paintings as well? I mean, for the exchange of money does the artist relinquish all rights to that work? Can the buyer then go make copies of it and sell it to people for profit? Can the buyer make a sequel painting? Can the buyer make merchandise of that painting? I honestly don't know, but it seems to me that selling paintings and selling screenplays are two very different animals. The studios would prefer to pay little now in case the project doesn't work out so they can minimize their losses. If the studios make money, everyone that was a creative force behind the film makes money. Studios can rake in millions, if not billions of dollars in revenue from a movie or tv show. Why shouldn't the people who made it the great piece of entertainment it is get a piece of that? If people didn't get residuals, their asking prices up front would skyrocket and many studios wouldn't want to risk losing money on riskier projects so they simply wouldn't make them. Everything we'd ever get would be vanilla sold to the masses. This current system isn't perfect, but it allows people to take chances and, I for one, believe people should share in the success of any project they had helped create. There's a difference between the guy running cable or buidling sets and the people who craft the story, design the shots, perform the roles, and edit it all together. Every project needs its creative leaders to guide the rest of the production and those leaders deserve to make good when their projects make good.

Rogue, you're going to need this sooner rather than later. Trust me.

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:07 am

bastard_robo wrote:My dad work construction for 22 years and managed to still paint his art every night. He sold dozens of works that he poured his creative soul into, and several of those paintings were then resold to other people. But he got what he asked for when he sold his art and said good bye to it as it was no longer physically his. But he still did what he loved to do and made a few bucks at it while maintaing a job.

That's got nothing to do with this situation at all. A painting is a physical piece of property that can only be sold once, no matter how much creative energy went into making it. A painting can't be downloaded by people who are too cheap or inconsiderate to pay for it. Let's look at it this way, though - by your "logic", if that painting became famous and the company that owned it decided to make postcards and t-shirts and posters and thong underwear with a likeness of that painting on them, your dad shouldn't get a cent of residuals from the merchandising rights of all that crap, right? It's a good thing construction pays so well.

I'm fairly certain I know your answer to this one, too, but because my forehead isn't nearly bloody enough yet, let's give it a shot.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:33 am

I hear the local Piano Tuners 412, who somehow got roped into the strike, has rejected the new deal.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 am

Fried Gold wrote:I hear the local Piano Tuners 412, who somehow got roped into the strike, has rejected the new deal.

So there's a note of discord?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Zarles on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:21 am

But can they tuna fish? They might not deserve it.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:23 am

bastard_robo wrote:When you can make movies that make money on no budget, and know what the fuck your doing, Rodriguez clearly shows that you really dont need UNIONS or the shit from the stuido system. Unfortunatly, not a lot of people in movie making are that smart.

Yeah, robo, if you want to work in the industry, learn a bit about how it works. Rodriguez has always been tied to a studio and frankly wouldn't have gotten as far as he has without those connections. He is STILL beholden to Dimension/Miramax. He does not self-distribute his work; he simply buys the tools to make the films so he can produce those films on a lower budget. This gives him more, but nowhere close to TOTAL, creative freedom. If you think Miramax DIDN'T have "feedback" for him, you're wrong.

As for the unions, I bet he doesn't complain when his residuals checks show up. And he wouldn't have those in the first place if it weren't for...the unions! I also bet he enjoys being able to get a full crew with experience and knowledge of their jobs with one phone call, which is really only possible with...IATSE, a union.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:33 am

bastard_robo wrote:

Oh, I missed THIS gem. Somebody's never worked a day of physical labor in his entire life.

Good Lord, man, do you even have any idea how the union system actually WORKS or what the unions provide to their members? Obviously not, so let's go over it!

First off, if you act in a production which is produced by an SAG signatory, yes, you will have to join the Guild. Most actors actually want to JOIN the Guild in the first place. Why?

Because being a Guild member gives you recourse. Don't get paid? Call the Guild. Ordered to work a 24-hour day? Call the Guild.

The Guild finds you jobs. Yeah, it might be extra work, or "Thug #1", but that's still money in your pocket. Guild membership also means you can sign up at companies like Central Casting.

And you also get health and dental, plus a pension for when you retire. The SAG has done a lot to help actors get through rough periods and has kept them from becoming homeless or starving.

I won't pretend there aren't difficulties or concerns, but you're spinning it like they're a bunch of leeches when it's clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about. If you really want to work in this industry, you have to understand why the process exists and for what reasons. Unions ensure workers don't get exploited, period.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:29 pm

I love this thread.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Show Status Update:
TV Guide wrote:24
Season 7 likely postponed until January '09.

30 Rock
Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

Aliens in America
Eight pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected for this season.

Back to You
Two pre-strike episodes remain. Future TBD*.

Battlestar Galactica
Returns April 4 with first half of 20-episode final season. Production on second half could start as early as March. Airdate for those TBD.

The Big Bang Theory
Expected to shoot 5 to 9 new episodes to air in March/April/May.

Big Love
Expected to go into production on Season 3 in March. Airdate info is TBD.

Big Shots
No new episodes expected. Ever.

Bionic Woman

Bones
Four pre-strike episodes left. Unclear whether additional episodes will be produced for this season.

Boston Legal
Expected to shoot 6 to 8 new episodes to air in April/May.

Brothers & Sisters
One pre-strike episode remains. Expected to shoot 4 or 5 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Burn Notice
Production on Season 2 expected to get under way in late April. New episodes could start airing as early as July.

Cane
No additional episodes expected this season. Future beyond that TBD.

Chuck
No new episodes until fall.

The Closer
Expected to kick off its fourth season this summer.

Cold Case
Expected to shoot 4 to 9 new episodes to air in March/April/May.

Criminal Minds

CSI
Expected to shoot 4 to 8 new episodes to air in March/April/May.

CSI: Miami

CSI: NY
Expected to shoot 4 to 8 new episodes to air in March/April/May.

Desperate Housewives
Expected to shoot 4 to 7 new episodes to air in April/May.

Dirty Sexy Money
No new episodes planned until fall; three remaining pre-strike episodes will undergo some tweaking and kick off fall run.

ER
Expected to shoot 4 to 6 new episodes to air in April/May.

Everybody Hates Chris
Twelve pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected for this season.

Friday Night Lights
No new episodes expected for this season. Future TBD.

The Game
Four pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 8 or 9 additional episodes to air in March/April/May.

Ghost Whisperer

Girlfriends
Two pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected, although a special one-hour series finale is being discussed.

Gossip Girl
Expected to shoot 5 or 6 episodes to air in April/May.

Greek
Kicks off second half of Season 1 on March 24. Still awaiting Season 2 pickup.

Grey's Anatomy
Expected to shoot 4 to 7 new episodes to air in April/May

Heroes
No new episodes expected until fall.

House
Expected to shoot 4 to 6 new episodes to air in April/May.

How I Met Your Mother
Expected to shoot 5 to 9 new episodes to air in April/May.

Jericho
Seven episodes remain. No additional episodes expected for this season.

Journeyman

Las Vegas
Two pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected for this season.

Law & Order
Expected to shoot an indeterminate number of episodes to air in spring.

Law & Order: CI

Law & Order: SVU

Life
No new episodes expected until fall.

Life Is Wild

Lost
Six pre-strike episodes remain. Five additional episodes could air this season.

Medium
Six pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot additional episodes for this season.

Men in Trees
Eleven pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected this season.

Moonlight
Could produce a handful of new episodes to air in April/May.

My Name Is Earl
Expected to shoot 8 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

NCIS

The New Adventures of Old Christine
Seven pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected this season.

Nip/Tuck
Season 5 concludes Feb. 19. Production on the show's eight-episode sixth season expected to start up this summer. Airdate TBD.

Numbers

October Road
Four pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

The Office
Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

One Tree Hill
Six pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 5 or 6 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Prison Break
Two pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

Private Practice
Slim chance it could return with 4 or 5 new episodes this season. Either way, it'll be back in the fall.

Pushing Daisies
No new episodes until fall.

Reaper
Three pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 5 or 6 additional episodes to air in April/May.

The Riches
Seven-episode second season kicks off March 18.

Samantha Who?
Three pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot an additional 3 episodes to air this spring, likely after Dancing with the Stars.

Saturday Night Live
Returns Feb. 23.

Scrubs
Four pre-strike episodes remain. Four additional episodes will likely be shot; unclear whether they'll air on NBC or go straight to DVD.

Shark

The Shield
Final season already shot. Airdate TBD.

Smallville
Four pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 5 or 6 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Supernatural
Two pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 4 or 5 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Four pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

Two and a Half Men

Ugly Betty

The Unit

Without a Trace

Women's Murder Club
Back on the critical list. I'm now hearing ABC is thisclose to shutting down Club for good.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Bionic Woman DOA. Too bad. The show sucked, but it had potential to not suck.

Frak! We have to wait until fall for more Pushing Daisies and Chuck? That blows.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Thanks Stereos!

Fuck, another year until more 24???

And this sucks for Scrubs fans, such a weird way to end a great series. It's not what it used to be. Still, there are a few more eps to go. I hope they show the final episodes on air and don't send them straight to dvd...wtf?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Thanks Stereos!

Maybe they could change 24 and do like, 4?

It could be like, 'Where's the terrorist?' and they rush around a bit and then it's all like, 'Oh there he is at the phone booth across the road'. Job done!

:lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:14 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Thanks Stereos!

And this sucks for Scrubs fans, such a weird way to end a great series. It's not what it used to be. Still, there are a few more eps to go. I hope they show the final episodes on air and don't send them straight to dvd...wtf?

I agree... here's hoping that NBC might let them make a movie or mini-series (or just let them finish off a few more episodes) so they can have a proper ending.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:44 pm

Break out the champagne!!!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:46 pm

WOO HOO!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:52 pm

And a hearty HUZZAH!!!! from me.

Thank Crom the stars have finally aligned...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 am

Yay!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:19 am

I retire Hoffa back to his slumber.

bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Zarles on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:25 am

Fuckin' YAY.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:46 am

Yeah!

Now get your asses back to work and save the Fall TV season!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:50 am

Boo, I say! Boooo!!!

I mean, yay!

mostly kinda :oops:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:52 am

You didn't want the stike to end, Dale?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Vegeta on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:54 am

Well, she is in the UK, therefore she probably wasn't as affected.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:55 am

RogueScribner wrote:You didn't want the stike to end, Dale?

No, no I did. It's only purely personal selfish reasons that I would have liked it to go on just a bit longer.

Although I have to say, I think it's possible they could have gotten an even better deal if they'd fucked the Oscars. The anarchist in me would have liked to see that. All people in LA do is give each other awards anyway :wink:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:07 am

damn Vegeta and his distracting avatar.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:07 am

Vegeta wrote:Well, she is in the UK, therefore she probably wasn't as affected.

I am? :wink:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby instant_karma on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:42 am

DaleTremont wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Well, she is in the UK, therefore she probably wasn't as affected.

I am? :wink:

He probably just saw the 'hell' part of your location and assumed you were in the UK...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:51 pm

Zarles wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:My dad work construction for 22 years and managed to still paint his art every night. He sold dozens of works that he poured his creative soul into, and several of those paintings were then resold to other people. But he got what he asked for when he sold his art and said good bye to it as it was no longer physically his. But he still did what he loved to do and made a few bucks at it while maintaing a job.

That's got nothing to do with this situation at all. A painting is a physical piece of property that can only be sold once, no matter how much creative energy went into making it. A painting can't be downloaded by people who are too cheap or inconsiderate to pay for it. Let's look at it this way, though - by your "logic", if that painting became famous and the company that owned it decided to make postcards and t-shirts and posters and thong underwear with a likeness of that painting on them, your dad shouldn't get a cent of residuals from the merchandising rights of all that crap, right? It's a good thing construction pays so well.

I'm fairly certain I know your answer to this one, too, but because my forehead isn't nearly bloody enough yet, let's give it a shot.

The argument is the same for a screenplay. You cant sell a story thats in your head, it has to be written down on something, thus making it a physical piece of creative work! Written on Microsoft Word or Pen and Paper

And yes, a painting can be downloaded, I have many works of art by many comic artist. One of them was a Godzilla ink that Art Adams did. He sold it and the owner decided to post it on the net for everyone to see.

Now its all over the net (though it begs another argument over some one working on a property owned by someone else.)

And yes... Construction dose pay well, it supported my family for 16 years (and ultimatly led to the divorce of my parents)
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 pm

RogueScribner wrote:When an artist sells his paintings, does he sell the rights to those paintings as well? I mean, for the exchange of money does the artist relinquish all rights to that work? Can the buyer then go make copies of it and sell it to people for profit? Can the buyer make a sequel painting? Can the buyer make merchandise of that painting? I honestly don't know, but it seems to me that selling paintings and selling screenplays are two very different animals. The studios would prefer to pay little now in case the project doesn't work out so they can minimize their losses. If the studios make money, everyone that was a creative force behind the film makes money. Studios can rake in millions, if not billions of dollars in revenue from a movie or tv show. Why shouldn't the people who made it the great piece of entertainment it is get a piece of that? If people didn't get residuals, their asking prices up front would skyrocket and many studios wouldn't want to risk losing money on riskier projects so they simply wouldn't make them. Everything we'd ever get would be vanilla sold to the masses. This current system isn't perfect, but it allows people to take chances and, I for one, believe people should share in the success of any project they had helped create. There's a difference between the guy running cable or buidling sets and the people who craft the story, design the shots, perform the roles, and edit it all together. Every project needs its creative leaders to guide the rest of the production and those leaders deserve to make good when their projects make good.

Rogue FTW!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby junesquad on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:The War is Over.

It's about fuckin' time. I've very excited to see the strike is over. Maybe now, I'll get that cable package.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News