Hollywood on Strike! (Actors' Civil War!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:13 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:When was the last time you went to a film based solely on the writer?

Charlie Kaufman
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:15 am

And I've checked out several films because William Goldman was the writer.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:17 am

RogueScribner wrote:The actors make what they make because the studios are willing to pay it. If all the major studios banded together and said "no more $20 million pay days" the actors wouldn't be in any position to do anything about it. There wouldn't be a strike because most of the actors in the SGA aren't making that money, only a select few. But as long as one studio is willing to pay that amount, actors will fight for what they think is their due.

Ahh but if the US say 'no' then the UK will say yes. An A grade actor these days is a worldwide title, not just a US one. If US studios banned together and said 'no', then someone else somewhere else would snap them up pretty quickly.

The thing is that they’re realistic points in this issue, as well as moral ones. The reality is that the studios won't drop actors pay scales anytime soon just for writers. They should, and it's crazy the amount of cash they get but they just wont.

RogueScribner wrote:And I've checked out several films because William Goldman was the writer.

Fair enough (doh!! I phrased that totally wrong! :lol:), I've checked out some writers stuff too, but we are chatting on a film nerd website here. The general public usually don't care much.
Last edited by MonkeyM666 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:18 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:The actors make what they make because the studios are willing to pay it. If all the major studios banded together and said "no more $20 million pay days" the actors wouldn't be in any position to do anything about it. There wouldn't be a strike because most of the actors in the SGA aren't making that money, only a select few. But as long as one studio is willing to pay that amount, actors will fight for what they think is their due.

Ahh but if the US say 'no' then the UK will say yes. An A grade actor these days is a worldwide title, not just a US one. If US studios banned together and said 'no', then someone else somewhere else would snap them up pretty quickly.

The thing is that they’re realistic points in this issue, as well as moral ones. The reality is that the studios won't drop actors pay scales anytime soon just for writers. They should, and it's crazy the amount of cash they get but they just wont.

Sadly... very sadly...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:48 am

junesquad wrote:$20 million is quite rediculous when you consider that we have a hard time believing that insurance companies and the state don't want to pay $40 for mental health care. What's wrong with that picture?

Can someone make a good "Post of the Century" pic or something? Where's the love for common sense?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby minstrel on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:39 am

The writer is more responsible than the actor for whether or not the movie is any good.

The actor is more responsible than the writer for whether or not anybody goes to see it.

The studio makes their judgement accordingly.

Fans like us bitch about it.

It is The Way Of Things.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby vicious_bastard on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:43 am

Nice Walcott av ONeill. We're gonna damn well stay undefeated today as well. Filthy Manc scum.

Oh, er...strikes and that. Good luck to them AND Arsenal.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Mighty Manfred on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:27 am

I read that while they were making Another 48 Hours back in 1990, Eddie Murphy asked Nick Nolte about the low-budget, low-key pictures Nolte had been making in addition to his mainstream stuff. Murphy said he'd like to try some of that. Nolte talked with him and pointed out that most of those movies cost a good bit less than Murphy's salary for the movie they were making.

"Oh, I can't cut my salary," Murphy is said to have answered. How many actors could we name, given ten minutes, who probably would say the same thing? A whole bunch, I suspect. Be polite and call it a desire for security or plain neediness, but it's greed, really, isn't it? For every major actor who takes a turn in small films there are half a dozen stars (and probably another half dozen rising stars) who won't consider living without three personal assistants plus private hair and makeup paid by the production (and when did that start?).
Hey, kids! Draw right on your computer screen!
Mighty Manfred
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby unikrunk on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:44 am

My wife's cousin (my cousin-in-law?) is a writer for...ER...

Anyway, I was talking to her about the strike, and she was telling me that most of the writers she works with (she writes for some other shows as well) don't really give a shit, and find this strike to be a nuisance. It's a case of the vocal minority getting the ear of the union, from her POV.

Just thought it was an interesting take on the issue.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:30 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:

RogueScribner wrote:And I've checked out several films because William Goldman was the writer.

Fair enough (doh!! I phrased that totally wrong! :lol:), I've checked out some writers stuff too, but we are chatting on a film nerd website here. The general public usually don't care much.

Well Monkey me ol' chum, these writer's names mentioned here are like, a very very tiny percentage of writer's names out there that DO make people go to see their films. Again, like what you're trying to say I think, moooooooooost of the writers out there don't make one want to see a film just 'cos their names attached.

Anyway, all of that aside as it's not the point to this post....

I do think it's criminal that writers' aren't paid more. Of course they don't need to be overpaid like these actors do which I still am struggling with a theory that this can be a false economy at times too - but here's the thing (if it hasn't been said here before) - Writers are the BLUEPRINT of what makes the film. Without their original plan, shape, emotional drawing up of a movie, you've got nothing. Forget Tom Cruise, forget Spielberg blah blah. Writers have already made the film - it just hasn't been made PHYSICAL yet - all the other guys after the writer, they're the ones who have to paint the picture up on screen, the writer told them what that painting is to be.

Understand all that metaphorical mumbo jumbo? Like the writer makes a small scale sketch or drawing to show them, then the other guys make it larger and paint it.

I always thought when I've written a script that I've 50% making the film here. That's like HALF the film already.

Now, not saying that writers should get half, no way. But it just shows you that they're relatively getting breadcrumbs in many ways compared to others. Yes of course they should get more.

By the way, in terms of Director's - do you think that they get underpaid? How much work do they have to do!? Forget about the actors piss taking salary above them, who do fuck all practically in comparison. Someone told me that the CINEMATOGRAPHERS sometimes get paid more than the Director. Yes it is all characteristic of the craftsmen in question, but still, there's enough there to make one pause for thought about a Director's salary.

Anyway, back to the writers. I'm gonna go and do some catching up on this thread. Also if you guys don't hear from me again from Monday, it's 'cos myself - AND the 6 writers who I also pay to write my posts - have all gone on strike too.

You guys should have paid those Zone Subscription charges that I hit you with 6 months back.

Let's see how you all get on without me. Unless you want to strike too, just to piss off the likes of PaDino Admins.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Anyway, all of that aside as it's not the point to this post....

I do think it's criminal that writers' aren't paid more. Of course they don't need to be overpaid like these actors do which I still am struggling with a theory that this can be a false economy at times too - but here's the thing (if it hasn't been said here before) - Writers are the BLUEPRINT of what makes the film. Without their original plan, shape, emotional drawing up of a movie, you've got nothing. Forget Tom Cruise, forget Spielberg blah blah. Writers have already made the film - it just hasn't been made PHYSICAL yet - all the other guys after the writer, they're the ones who have to paint the picture up on screen, the writer told them what that painting is to be.

Understand all that metaphorical mumbo jumbo? Like the writer makes a small scale sketch or drawing to show them, then the other guys make it larger and paint it.

I believe you were going for the "the writers are the architects, the others are the builders" metaphor.

...who the hell are these "writers" sorting your posts out? I think they've been sabotaging you before the strike started.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Just saw this story over at cinematical.com.
If the story is true American writers are screwed.
Can Hollywood use foreign writers?
Shit everything gets outsourced these days.

Link to original story:
[url=http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117975282.html?categoryid=1019&cs=1&nid=2562[url]Variety[/url]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Are the studios 'allowed' to use non-WGA writers? I think some directors have been disallowed from directing films because of not being in the DGA. Does the same apply?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Are the studios 'allowed' to use non-WGA writers? I think some directors have been disallowed from directing films because of not being in the DGA. Does the same apply?

Certain studios have the policy of ONLY working with Guilded talent. Others do not. At least that is to my knowledge.

I remember QT not being able to work a TV series because he refused to become a member of the Guild and it was the policy of the studio to only work with Guilded talent.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Hollywood on Strike! (Now w/ Striking on Monday!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:37 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Are the studios 'allowed' to use non-WGA writers? I think some directors have been disallowed from directing films because of not being in the DGA. Does the same apply?

From what I've heard from Kevin Smith in interviews, Miramax (now the weinstein co.) you dont need to be part of any guild. I belive that many of the smaller stuidos dont need or use any guild members (writers directors ect) Dont quote me, but I belive that Lionsgate is non union too.

If theres one thing if this strike goes on, they're might be a lot more Forgien films that would never see the light of day on the Big Screen that might get play....

One could only hope.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Hollywood on Strike! (Now w/ Striking on Monday!!)

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:38 pm

bastard_robo wrote:

From what I've heard from Kevin Smith in interviews, Miramax (now the weinstein co.) you dont need to be part of any guild. I belive that many of the smaller stuidos dont need or use any guild members (writers directors ect) Dont quote me, but I belive that Lionsgate is non union too.

If theres one thing if this strike goes on, they're might be a lot more Forgien films that would never see the light of day on the Big Screen that might get play....

One could only hope.

Maybe there is some silver lining to the clouds.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:54 pm

Yeah...it seems the studios that the guild/union/association rules apply to are the Big Six.

How that transfers to the television world, I don't know. Can the television studios bring in foreign workers, or will they a) fall back on repeats b) foreign made shows (British stuff?) c) anything unscripted (if that exists)?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Yeah...it seems the studios that the guild/union/association rules apply to are the Big Six.

How that transfers to the television world, I don't know. Can the television studios bring in foreign workers, or will they a) fall back on repeats b) foreign made shows (British stuff?) c) anything unscripted (if that exists)?

For television you can expect:

repeats, game shows, and unscripted programming. The scripted programs will probably run out in January.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:01 pm

That's going to muller the schedules for the next year.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Fried Gold wrote:That's going to muller the schedules for the next year.

It will screw a lot up. Most shows will only have 1/2 - 2/3 of a season. Late starting shows like 24 and Lost will only get to air about 6 or 7 episodes. Scrubs won't get a proper Series Finale. Heroes is rewriting an ending to make a psuedo season finale.

Some networks are even talking about using the strike to hit the reset button on a less than stellar fall season by, essentially, cancelling all new shows. Its essentially chaos in TV land.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:24 pm

It is officially going to suck life out of TV. =[
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:52 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

It will screw a lot up. Most shows will only have 1/2 - 2/3 of a season. Late starting shows like 24 and Lost will only get to air about 6 or 7 episodes. Scrubs won't get a proper Series Finale. Heroes is rewriting an ending to make a psuedo season finale.

Some networks are even talking about using the strike to hit the reset button on a less than stellar fall season by, essentially, cancelling all new shows. Its essentially chaos in TV land.

From what I've read Scrubs might just get through without disruption.

Sarah Connor Chronicles getting cancelled, I can live with.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:53 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

From what I've read Scrubs might just get through without disruption.

Sarah Connor Chronicles getting cancelled, I can live with.

Scrubs won't make it through, what will probably happen is there will be two finales...one that airs and then a "proper" finale made for the DVD when the strike is (hopefully) over. But what airs will most certainly not be what was planned.

EDIT: But Chuck, Aliens in America, Pushing Daisies...I would hate to see all of these shows get the ax because of the strike prematurely ending their season and the network's desire to "start over".
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Any news on how this will effect Smallville?
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:56 pm

junesquad wrote:Any news on how this will effect Smallville?

Wait is that actual concern?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:56 pm

junesquad wrote:Any news on how this will effect Smallville?

Again, ALL scripted TV shows are only about...6 episodes ahead. So the strike happens monday meaning that ALL production stops. So ALL shows will shut down once the scripts run out.

So SMALLVILLE will be hurt the same as everything else. Only about 2/3 of a season at MOST.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:02 pm

Damn.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:EDIT: But Chuck, Aliens in America, Pushing Daisies...I would hate to see all of these shows get the ax because of the strike prematurely ending their season and the network's desire to "start over".

How likely is it that networks will axe stuff to get back at them striking?

Wouldn't starting over be more expensive than just putting current shows back in production?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:23 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:EDIT: But Chuck, Aliens in America, Pushing Daisies...I would hate to see all of these shows get the ax because of the strike prematurely ending their season and the network's desire to "start over".

How likely is it that networks will axe stuff to get back at them striking?

Wouldn't starting over be more expensive than just putting current shows back in production?

Theyll just go with reality till next year. That and re-runs.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:24 pm

I think it sucks... let's just fire the whole lot of them and start them out at $7.50 an hour.... lol
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:31 pm

I've read LOST won't be too effected since they have 14 scripts (supposedly) already turned in.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I've read LOST won't be too effected since they have 14 scripts (supposedly) already turned in.

Well thatd be a breath of fresh air!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:40 pm

Smallville is still a toss up for an eighth season... I'm just hoping this doesn't make this season end early, suck and/or be the last.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:54 pm

Even if studios have a policy on non-Guild writers, surely they might consider breaking that out of desperation? Or is going reruns and reality just too easy?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby LaDracul on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Why couldn't they have gone on strike BEFORE "Step Up 2" was greenlit?

I'm sorry, but why is the US getting that shit before "William and Miguel"? Cripes, this is probably Will Kemp's worst film since "Mindhunters"...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:58 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I've read LOST won't be too effected since they have 14 scripts (supposedly) already turned in.

Unfortunately the story arc revolves around Jack grimacing, someone slaps him on the back, and his face freezes.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:00 pm

LaDracul wrote:I'm sorry, but why is the US getting that shit before "William and Miguel"? Cripes, this is probably Will Kemp's worst film since "Mindhunters"...

Ohhh that distinction surely goes to Van Helsing! :D
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Zarles on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:00 pm

And six episodes already filmed and in the can.

Carlton Cuse is on the negotiating team for the WGA, so I wouldn't be surprised if he smelled this thing coming a ways off and sent production on Lost into overdrive very shortly after the third season ended. I'd read they didn't take much of a break, but I never really thought about why.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:02 pm

Fievel wrote:
LaDracul wrote:I'm sorry, but why is the US getting that shit before "William and Miguel"? Cripes, this is probably Will Kemp's worst film since "Mindhunters"...

Don't start with me... :x

Fuck, why not send it to ABC Family? They have a track record for showing shyte direct-to-DVD sequels.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Fievel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Unfortunately the story arc revolves around Jack grimacing, someone slaps him on the back, and his face freezes.

You forgot about the addition of ominous flash forwards.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:05 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fievel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

That's the twist....
It starts out with Jack making a constant screwed up face... you don't even realize IT IS THE FUTURE!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Fievel wrote:

Isn't Van Helsing the worst film for anyone who worked on it. It'd be hard to beat ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:07 pm

Fievel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fievel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

That's the twist....
It starts out with Jack making a constant screwed up face... you don't even realize IT IS THE FUTURE!!!!

Damn your good. You could be a scab for Heroes!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby LaDracul on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Excuse me, but let's behave like grownups. I don't rag on what you like.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:10 pm

LaDracul wrote:Excuse me, but let's behave like grownups. I don't rag on what you like.

we kid we kid :) no mean intention meant.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:13 pm

LOST is ahead, but they are not as ahead as everyone thinks. They took a lengthy break, but they did start quite early. Still, they are at most 10 episodes ahead...which means the final six episodes are not yet written.

EDIT: And it looks, to me, like everyone is behaving like grown ups in here. Not sure what the complaining is about. :?:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Okay, just wanted to know if you were being douches or not...I had problems with those CHUD a-holes and I didn't want to go through with that again...

Anyway, "Conan O'Brien" had a funny clip with what's "Written and Not Written" last night. Thus, they had to have Quackers the Shit Eating Duck featured in it... And of course, Rosa the NBC cleaning lady being a scab writer on SNL...actually the material about the strike is pretty amusing. Sadly I can't find an SNL transcript of it...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:59 pm

LaDracul wrote:Excuse me, but let's behave like grownups. I don't rag on what you like.

LaDracul wrote:Okay, just wanted to know if you were being douches or not...I had problems with those CHUD a-holes and I didn't want to go through with that again...

Lots of Zoners give each other some grief because one thinks another likes bad stuff. If you enjoy and defend something others think is bad - especially if the work or the creator/performer is widely derided by both movie buffs and the critics - expect some ribbing and possibly some more serious criticism. Expect it especially if you criticize something that's considered approximately as good as what you enjoy.

Caveat fanboy/fangirl.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:03 am

DennisMM wrote:

LaDracul wrote:Okay, just wanted to know if you were being douches or not...I had problems with those CHUD a-holes and I didn't want to go through with that again...

Lots of Zoners give each other some grief because one thinks another likes bad stuff. If you enjoy and defend something others think is bad - especially if the work or the creator/performer is widely derided by both movie buffs and the critics - expect some ribbing and possibly some more serious criticism. Expect it especially if you criticize something that's considered approximately as good as what you enjoy.

Caveat fanboy/fangirl.

I love how Dennis has become the voice of reason in this thread. It makes me all giddy.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:25 am

I'm not even supposed to be here!
DennisMM

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News