Hollywood on Strike! (Actors' Civil War!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Ron Moore, he has a basically stated "Donna hold a your breath, eh?"
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:19 pm

wonkabar wrote:I just hope Galactica doesn't get screwed (again)

When I went to the Razor screening on November 12 Bamber was there and said that BSG would be shutting down production within a "couple of weeks". He also expressed a little concern that it might never start again...but I hope that was just hyperbole.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
wonkabar wrote:I just hope Galactica doesn't get screwed (again)

When I went to the Razor screening on November 12 Bamber was there and said that BSG would be shutting down production within a "couple of weeks". He also expressed a little concern that it might never start again...but I hope that was just hyperbole.

They are so close to finishing they better not screw us!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Theta on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:42 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Anna the writers, they alla know this... donna under-estimate a the significance of a this small skirmish inna the overall war, eh?

Oh, if they come back and knock it out of the park, the writers have a problem. But they've got to do that five days a week, every week until the staff comes back, and that shit is nerve-wracking. Leno in particular has to be sweating bullets; the man really is a standup machine but that's because ALL of his material is prewritten.

They might simply can the monologue all together and cram in lengthier interviews, which might work...but people will complain and I doubt it's going to be fun for anybody.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Theta wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Anna the writers, they alla know this... donna under-estimate a the significance of a this small skirmish inna the overall war, eh?

Oh, if they come back and knock it out of the park, the writers have a problem. But they've got to do that five days a week, every week until the staff comes back, and that shit is nerve-wracking. Leno in particular has to be sweating bullets; the man really is a standup machine but that's because ALL of his material is prewritten.

They might simply can the monologue all together and cram in lengthier interviews, which might work...but people will complain and I doubt it's going to be fun for anybody.

Ok. This is going to sound really wierd but I wouldn't mind them leaving it a few years. I would love to see them finish it now but....leaving it would show how the DVD sales do and whether there is going to be great interest in the future. Like Serenity, let's have a movie for the finale.

I'd wait 2 or 3 years to build up the hype the for this.

I don't want to but I would if it was worth it.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Hollywood on Strike!

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 am

Hollywood_Bob wrote:The LA Times had an interesting article today on how there are now groups of WGA members working with venture capitalists on forming internet companies to provide content etc.

And these people are just now figuring this shit out now?...

Highschool drop outs have been doing this for years (and Im not talking about the sites that host just videos of people doing stuipid shit in front of a camera)

I say go for it! Write and produce something that they can own themselves and not bitch about their "WORK" being whored on the internet by the people who own said work. Go on and Spread the creative freedom thats apparently being buried by the system, and then make money off of it. Then you'll become everything you apprently hate (A producer!)

They can do this and still write screenplays and Teleplays and make a nugget at that.

As for Conan and Leno going back to work.. I say Kudos for them. Realizing that theres more to their shows than 10-15 people who spitball and write skits that take up %30 of the show and that there are a HELL of a lot more people dependant on keeping the show going than the "cleverness" of it. Keeping people working is the best reason to go back to work and if the WGA gets a stick up their asses for these guys doing the right thing, then they are a bunch of hypocritcal bastards. If I was at a job that over 100 people got laid off or fired because of the actions of a small group of people, I'd be more pissed at the small group than the bussines.

I knew that paying the wages of their staff out of their own pockets wasnt going to last long.

And I think that the WGA is going to end up breaking even now in the end of all of this, and not getting all of their demands.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby instant_karma on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:56 pm

Fox films 'for rent via iTunes'

BBC News wrote:Apple and 20th Century Fox studio are to announce a deal that will allow consumers to rent the studio's films through iTunes, media reports say. They will have a limited time to watch films downloaded from the iTunes store, a source told the Financial Times.

If the reports are true, this looks like a new assault on the video and movie market, says BBC News technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones.

Apple shares traded above $200 for the first time on Wednesday.
The rumours about Apple's products and software to be unveiled at the company's major event of the year, MacWorld 2008 in San Francisco on 14 January, are swirling around, our correspondent says.

Video sales on iTunes have been sluggish and the Apple TV - a set-top box linking the computer to your television - has failed to win a place in millions of living-rooms.

Besides, the big players in television and in Hollywood have been wary of doing deals with Apple, after seeing the position of strength that Steve Jobs' company has built up in the music business.

So the negotiations with the studios over movie rentals on iTunes have reportedly been tortuous.

Now it looks as though Fox, owned by News Corp, has decided Apple is the only game in town when it comes to getting movies onto new platforms, our correspondent says.

Particularly interesting is the idea that Fox would sell DVDs with Apple's Fair Play DRM protection, making it possible to put a movie onto an iPod.

Of course, millions of people have already found ways of doing that, but this time, it would be legal.

Apple and Fox will be hoping this will have the same impact on consumers as the arrival of the iTunes music store, which encouraged some of the millions who were swapping songs on the internet illegally to start paying for music online, our correspondent says.

So, the studios aren't sure if there's money to be made putting content online? Riiiiight...

Source
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:43 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:01 pm

Nice!
Hopefully this acts as a catalyst to get the whole thing moving.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:41 pm

So... I assume the writers are still on "strike"?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Zarles on Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:59 am

Good for Dave. As much as I sympathize with the WGA, working the strike out show-by-show might be the way to do it.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:07 am

Vegeta wrote:So... I assume the writers are still on "strike"?

Apparently.

Good thing about being a fan of Stargate Atlantis: The writers of the show, sans Carl Binder, are all members of the CANADIAN WRITERS GUILD, thus, NO WORK STOPPAGE!!!

AWESOMENESS!! Work on SEASON 5 PROGRESSES as we speak.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:15 pm

That's cause Canada fucking ROCKS!!!

Thanks to Anne Murray, fuckers...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:39 pm

havocSchultz wrote:That's cause Canada fucking ROCKS!!!

Thanks to Anne Murray, fuckers...

People actually fuck Anne Murray!?!?!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:38 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Vegeta wrote:So... I assume the writers are still on "strike"?

Apparently.

Good thing about being a fan of Stargate Atlantis: The writers of the show, sans Carl Binder, are all members of the CANADIAN WRITERS GUILD, thus, NO WORK STOPPAGE!!!

AWESOMENESS!! Work on SEASON 5 PROGRESSES as we speak.

Ha!

My comment was mostly sarcastic but, it just isn't the hot news topic it once was.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:49 pm

I am so gonna watch Leno go down in flames next week. I cannot wait!! :twisted:
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:30 pm

I miss the Cone Zone. Jan. 2 will be a good night though.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Shane on Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:45 am

I feel like I've been watching the same tripe on T.V. for too long now. There are few gems that stand out, and very few. I'm almost glad they are striking after regurgitating every sit com and drama for the last few decades.

I am praying for scabs with something new.

I have faith that most of you guys on here could come up with better stuff than I've seen getting put out. That's not a slam on them more of a confidence in some of the people here and how creative you can be.

Whatever happens I hope it changes stuff for the better and I hope this doesn't result in more and more reality T.V.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:27 am

Hey Shane. Glad to hear from you again. What have you been up to?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Shane on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Hey Shane. Glad to hear from you again. What have you been up to?

Working, Lurking, and what not.

I come by a few times a week to read posts, but rarely have time to B.S.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:04 pm

United Artists Strikes Deal with WGA, Tries on Some Fantasy
Posted Jan 5th 2008 12:32PM by Erik Davis
Filed under: Deals, United Artists, RumorMonger, Celebrities and Controversy, DIY/Filmmaking, Newsstand, Tom Cruise

Some major major news on the strike front seems to be leaking out today, with an official announcement expected to come at some point tomorrow (according to Deadline Hollywood). Looks like United Artists (aka the movie studio run by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner) is in the process of inking a deal with the WGA that's very similar to the one they made with David Letterman's Worldwide Pants. Said deal, if it goes through, would allow United Artists to work with writers on whatever upcoming projects they have planned, making them the first such studio allowed to do this since the strike began. Damn. Score one for Tommy Boy! It's not yet known which films will take advantage of this interim deal right off the bat, but we do know that Oliver Stone's Pinkville was recently postponed due to problems with the script. Chances are, with the cast for that flick already in place, it will be one of the first delayed productions to be back in business. Of course, this is all subject to the deal actually going through.

On the other hand, United Artists could get right to work on a literary property they just optioned for seven figures. While all this interim agreement talk continues, The Hollywood Reporter tells us UA has optioned the film rights to Ranger's Apprentice, a fantasy series written by Australian author John Flanagan. According to HR, it "follows the adventures of an orphan boy named Will who becomes an apprentice ranger and fights to keep the mythical kingdom of Araluen safe from invaders, traitors and other dangers with the help of his master Halt." Yup, that sounds like just about every fantasy series being optioned these days, but what's even more interesting is that writer-director Paul Haggis was in talks to adapt and direct at one point before the strike happened and halted those discussions. Haggis doing big-budget fantasy? Bit of a stretch if you ask me -- what do you think?

source: cinematical
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:13 pm

Wow. What a HUGE coup for United Artists if they can go ahead and ink this deal. Quite impressive.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Looks like that Battlefield Earth sequel is a go, then.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:40 am

Last night Jon Stewart and Colbert came back on with new episodes.

It was not bad considering. They poked a lot of fun at the strike. Colbert was talking to Stewart about his show being suprisingly organized and said he was going to have an investigation into why it was so good without writers. Because....well.....no one is really going to know if you write anything.

They act like writers aren't actually writing in the privacy of their own home or something because the guild has camera's positioned to watch over em'. Funny.

And Colbert had a 4 minute opening of straight applause which I thought was brilliant. Although his show was like, how many sentences can I stretch out for half an hour? A lot of 'ummms' going on there. But, they definitely put some effort into it at least.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:49 am

And Colbert had a 4 minute opening of straight applause which I thought was brilliant.

:lol:
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby junesquad on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:12 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I am so gonna watch Leno go down in flames next week. I cannot wait!! :twisted:

Did you hear that Jay Leno and Jimmey Kimmel can't get people to come on their shows, so this Thursday they are going to be on each others show???

USA Today's Article About It

The article also states, "Without such booking problems, Letterman has lined up actors Tom Hanks, Lucy Liu and Morgan Freeman for shows this week."

Jay Leno's Show Calender
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:28 pm

junesquad wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I am so gonna watch Leno go down in flames next week. I cannot wait!! :twisted:

Did you hear that Jay Leno and Jimmey Kimmel can't get people to come on their shows, so this Thursday they are going to be on each others show???

The article also states, "Without such booking problems, Letterman has lined up actors Tom Hanks, Lucy Liu and Morgan Freeman for shows this week."

Jay Leno's Show Calender

I can't figure out why Leno is trying to do his show without his writers. As you pointed out, June, he can't get A-list guests. And Letterman is having no problems getting any guest he wants. Letterman also proved that it's possible to negotiate a separate deal with the WGA and get back to work properly. Why didn't Leno do the same thing?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby junesquad on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:30 pm

minstrel wrote:
junesquad wrote:

Jay Leno's Show Calender

I can't figure out why Leno is trying to do his show without his writers. As you pointed out, June, he can't get A-list guests. And Letterman is having no problems getting any guest he wants. Letterman also proved that it's possible to negotiate a separate deal with the WGA and get back to work properly. Why didn't Leno do the same thing?

Well... Leno claims to support the writer's strike. So... if he truly did, he might have tried that option, but I don't know if he cares that much. Save thine own neck...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:31 pm

minstrel wrote:I can't figure out why Leno is trying to do his show without his writers. As you pointed out, June, he can't get A-list guests.

Isn't it because everyone else on the show loses their jobs if the show doesn't go on?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:35 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
minstrel wrote:I can't figure out why Leno is trying to do his show without his writers. As you pointed out, June, he can't get A-list guests.

Isn't it because everyone else on the show loses their jobs if the show doesn't go on?

Partly.

Its hilarious that the WGA is contending over whether Leno should be able to write his own jokes, when I watched the show in Italy and wondered when the laughs would start.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby junesquad on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:36 pm

One thing is for sure... The writer's strike needs to end...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm

junesquad wrote:
minstrel wrote:
junesquad wrote:

Jay Leno's Show Calender

Well... Leno claims to support the writer's strike. So... if he truly did, he might have tried that option, but I don't know if he cares that much. Save thine own neck...

Leno doesn't own and run the production company in charge of The Tonight Show while Letterman does for The Late Show and the Late Late Show thus why Letterman was able to negotiate a contract. NBC/Universal would have to negotiate a contract (proably for their entire company) to get Leno's writers back. Same with Conan.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:53 pm

godzillasushi wrote:

But this is why he should negotiate a separate deal with the WGA. If he can't, because he doesn't own the production company (as Letterman does), then if the show employees lose their jobs it isn't Leno's fault or responsibility. Lots of people lose jobs or otherwise suffer financial hardship when one union goes out on strike - it happens in any industry.
minstrel

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:07 pm

minstrel wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

But this is why he should negotiate a separate deal with the WGA. If he can't, because he doesn't own the production company (as Letterman does), then if the show employees lose their jobs it isn't Leno's fault or responsibility. Lots of people lose jobs or otherwise suffer financial hardship when one union goes out on strike - it happens in any industry.

Well, I think it's kind of nice that he's trying at least. The quality suffers but that's a lot better then the "That's life" excuse. I'm all for people keeping their jobs! 8)
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:22 pm

Wow minstrel do you only do things because they are your responsibility or do you do things that are also good for others but don't directly fall under your responsibilities?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:59 pm

I find it interesting nobody's mentioned the Golden Globes just got shut down, essentially. Were I the Guild I'd picket it anyway.

This foretells much for the Oscars...
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Wow minstrel do you only do things because they are your responsibility or do you do things that are also good for others but don't directly fall under your responsibilities?

I do things that are good for others that aren't my responsibility. So, apparently, does Jay Leno. But he's stuck with putting on a second-rate show and he's harming the writers' cause. If that's all right with you, fine.
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:48 pm

minstrel wrote:I do things that are good for others that aren't my responsibility. So, apparently, does Jay Leno. But he's stuck with putting on a second-rate show and he's harming the writers' cause. If that's all right with you, fine.

And THEN came the writer's strike!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hate Leno.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

minstrel wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Wow minstrel do you only do things because they are your responsibility or do you do things that are also good for others but don't directly fall under your responsibilities?

I do things that are good for others that aren't my responsibility. So, apparently, does Jay Leno. But he's stuck with putting on a second-rate show and he's harming the writers' cause. If that's all right with you, fine.

I didn't mean you directly. I meant "you" in the editorial ense.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:40 pm

I'd be surprised if the strike lasts till the Oscars. That's the real dog and pony show for Hollywood, and I imagine that's the real prize for the writers, and it will bring a lot of attention to their cause.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Damon Lindelof's "Why We Write" essay:

[quote="Damon Lindelof"]"Today’s piece is written by Damon Lindelof, Co-Creator and Executive Producer of Lost.

I was listening to the news on NPR the other day and two things occurred to me. First, only assholes feel the constant need to tell you they listen to NPR (does anyone ever say, “So I was watching the CW last night…â€
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Amazing.... I'm e-mailing the shit out of that right now.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Theta on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:14 am

Word is The Weinstein Company (including Dimension) signed an interim deal. So that's two down. It looks like the writers are gaining ground, I wonder when the majors are going to cave?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:31 am

Theta wrote:Word is The Weinstein Company (including Dimension) signed an interim deal. So that's two down. It looks like the writers are gaining ground, I wonder when the majors are going to cave?

Do you have a link for that? That's excellent news.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:09 pm

God damn, is that a great essay by Damon.

Good, good stuff.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:11 pm

So that’s why I write.
I write because I can’t help but make things up.
I write because I love to tell stories.
I write because my imagination compels me to do so.
I write because if I didn’t, I’d be branded a pathological liar.

I might not always like the guy, but the above is the EXACT same reason I (and many others) write. Excellent summary.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:29 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Theta wrote:Word is The Weinstein Company (including Dimension) signed an interim deal. So that's two down. It looks like the writers are gaining ground, I wonder when the majors are going to cave?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/35z5y3

It was in the trades this morning. It's legit.

MOD EDIT: Fixed a the side-scroll, eh?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Damon Lindelof wrote:I write because I can’t help but make things up.
I write because I love to tell stories.
I write because my imagination compels me to do so.
I write because if I didn’t, I’d be branded a pathological liar.
Oh, and also because I’m still trying to make my dead father proud of me.
But that’s none of your goddamn business.

And because I want girls to like me.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:12 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/35z5y3

It was in the trades this morning. It's legit.

i think this is an interesting strategy. i wonder how many independent deals the WGA will need to sign to reach a critical mass where the AMPTP will be forced to accept their terms.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:22 pm

A number of the experts have said these side deals are what's going to do it. Bit by bit, the studios are being chipped away at, and eventually it'll become an "Oh, for Christ's sake... Just sign the damn check" moment.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News