Coleman Luck's ESCAPE FROM L.A. (SPOILERS Kinda?)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Coleman Luck's ESCAPE FROM L.A. (SPOILERS Kinda?)

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Hello, all. Some of you may remember seeing this article on the mainsite a few weeks ago, regarding writer Coleman Luck selling the script for his early, unproduced version of ESCAPE FROM L.A. on eBay.

Merrick wrote:A Cool Item For The Carpenter / Plissken Fans Out There...

Merrick here...

I'm usually not 100% comfortable posting about auctions on ebay; doing so gives someone's item-for-sale a ton of immediate exposure & opens up all kinds of other considerations. However, in this instance, I thought a particular auction was worthy of note.

Anyone whose read MY SCRIPT REVIEW of the impending ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake knows what I fan I am of early John Carpenter, with an emphasis on Snake Plissken's first adventure.

I waited and waited for the inevitable sequel, wondering what form it would take & if "the edge" of the first film would still be present. The arrival of ESCAPE FROM L.A. was bittersweet (for me, at least). It felt a little heartless...a bit lackluster. I did enjoy some of its social skewering. I liked the revamped theme song. And Russell as Plissken...can't be matched. But the movie never grabbed me, and always felt like it was pushing too hard to get too little back.

Interestingly, Carpenter's script for the film was not the first written sequel for ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. A write named Coleman Luck (THE EQUALIZER) was, at one point, commissioned to draft an earlier version of ESCAPE FROM L.A. - when the sequel was at DEG (De Laurentiis Entertainment Group). DEG bellied up. That version of the sequel never got made and was subsequently re-scripted by Carpenter when the project was resuscitated.

eBay wrote:If you are looking for a rare opportunity to own a piece of movie memorabilia, then, this is it. In late 1986 John Carpenter approached a Hollywood writer named Coleman Luck about the possibility of writing the sequel to his hit movie "Escape From New York" to be called "Escape From LA." At the time, Luck was a writer/producer on the hit CBS television series "The Equalizer." Contrary to the Carpenter mythology, he did not bring any kind of story to Luck, only the basic concept that LA had become a "prison city" of sorts as in his previous film and Snake Plissken had to go in to bring someone out. That was it. The first draft was written and turned in very early in 1987. Almost the same week it was finished the studio involved, DEG, went bankrupt. Instantly, all work stopped. No meetings were held. No notes were given on the script. No other drafts were done. The project went into limbo for close to a decade. Finally, Carpenter got control of it again and made the film that he did. For years, fans and critics have heard of "the Coleman Luck" version of "Escape From LA" and wanted to see it. Until now it has not been read by anyone other than Carpenter, Russell and a very few others. The copy that I am selling is signed by the writer and is the only one I know of in existence. How do I know all of this is true and the script is authentic? I am Coleman Luck and this is my only copy.

...says THIS AUCTION ON EBAY, where (apparently) writer Coleman Luck is selling his "only copy" of the ESCAPE FROM L.A. sequel he wrote for Carpenter & DEG back in 1986.

I've never read Luck's script, thus I have no sense of its quality or content beyond "Snake goes into a screwed-up L.A. to rescue ____". I'll admit to being a tad disappointed that the "let's send Snake into the same situation again" mentality reached so far back...I think the character and his shtick can support far more versatility. Although, there's a group of fans who believe that EFLA is more of a remake of ESCAPE FROM NY than a sequel...so I guess it makes sense (begrudgingly) if viewed from that perspective.

So, there's an interesting...and extremely rare...bit of Geek history for you to ponder. I'd LOVE to get a look at that script, although my luck winning things on ebay is staggeringly, incomprehensibly bad. If anyone reading this ends up winning the item, DROP ME A LINE and perhaps we can coordinate coverage?

Thanks to Evan for pointing me towards the auction. Appreciated.

I won the auction and will soon be submitting a review of the script to Merrick, and I wanted to provide a link to a thread here in The Zone where readers will be able to come and ask me questions about the script directly. I can only cover so much in the review itself, so I think this is a nice opportunity for me to expand upon things I'm only able to mention in passing, or for hardcore fans to really grill me about details. (And maybe Dino will be willing to chime in about the financial situation at his DeLaurentiis Entertainment Group back in the '80s.)

If you've read my review and are just joining us, welcome! I'm not sure when Merrick will have posted it, but I am out of town from Sept. 26th until Oct. 1st, so if you're reading this between those dates, I will beg your patience. I'll try my best to check in and answer questions during that time, but my internet access will be sporadic. After the 1st though, I'll be all yours.

And to the Evan who contacted me through eBay about setting up an interview (and who I suspect gave Merrick the original heads up about the auction): hopefully I was eventually able to reach you through eBay, but if you're reading this and haven't heard from me, send me a private message or just give me a shout in this thread, and I'd love to help you out if you're still interested.

Mods: I reckoned "Movie News" was the best place for this thread, but if you want to move it to "Reviews" or even "Shameless Promotion," you'd better coordinate it with Merrick since I'm including a direct link in my article.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Very cool, Raul! Can't wait to read the script review when it's posted! That's a nice piece of memorabilia!!

EDIT: Movie News is fine. Let's just leave it right here so there's no confusion down the road.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Cool, Raul!! Always nice to see film history in the hands of a Zoner. :D
Lady Sheridan
RED

Coleman Luck's ESCAPE FROM L.A.

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:10 am

Very sweet. I love unproduced Scripts for projects that went else were.

I got a few, including the far superior Elliot-Russio script for GODZILLA back in the early 90's.

Love to read what could of been.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:28 am

Awesome.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:32 am

Excellent stuff. Cant wait to read the review!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby j fiori on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Great review. Just for the record though, you said that you'd like to post the script but shouldn't based on the copyright, Check the date on that copyright it may have expired since it's been more that 10 years. But even if it hasn't, you are not the one who would be infringing on it. The author who undoubtedly signed some sort of contract before starting the assignment is He's the one who made a profit by putting the material on the open market. The damage is done. Unless you signed some sort of non-disclosure agreement when you bought it, It is now considered "Secondary market Material". Much like the animation cels or comic book art being sold all across the world. If it makes you feel better, don't make money off it. I don't know what you ended up paying for the script, but you are legally entitled to make back that same ammount plus an additional percentage as a service fee. Much the same way ticket brokers do to get around the scalping laws. And yes, although all of this is true, I am only posting because I'd very much like to read the script (as I'm sure so would a million other folks). Thanks
j fiori
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:21 pm

here's the "script overview" from the mainpage.

well done Raul.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Hell yeah. I just jizzed my load. Raul you son of a gun, you just made a man jizz. Reading that script review was like knowing where you were when Kennedy died or something. TOP moment.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Yeah Raul, great review!!

I'm gonna put a "spoiler warning" in the thread title. Like Merrick said, seems kinda dumb when you're talking about a script that will never get made...but still.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:29 pm

that is/was supercool!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:40 pm

I think Merrick was a little harsh with the rejected script thing in the title... do I smell jealousy? What is the deal with that? Was the script rejected as it were or were there other difficulties / copyrights / technology not being quite right to make the picture the way the director intended? :-P
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Hey, I always that Raul wasn't bad at stringing a few words together, but that's damned impressive. I'm really curious to know how much it cost, but it doesn't seem polite to ask...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:39 pm

Heheh, I checked the final auction price on the link above, he got it for a song.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:41 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Heheh, I checked the final auction price on the link above, he got it for a song.

ooh, yeah. Not bad really for a piece of alternative history.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby tapehead on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:45 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Heheh, I checked the final auction price on the link above, he got it for a song.

Oh Yeah - I don't know what sort of money these things usually run for, but it's a one of a kind, it might even appreciate over time.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby bluebottle on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:52 pm

that ending is craaaazy....

and congrats, raul!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:54 pm

Bluebottle wrote:that ending is craaaazy....

I know, huh???

I wonder how people would have reacted. I'm not as much of a Snake fan as others are...I don't DISLIKE EFNY, but i'm not particularly emotionally invested in Plissken either. For me, that ending would have been a pretty cool twist.

I have a feeling others would have felt differently. :lol:
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:54 pm

I've made no secret that I'm not a huge EFNY fan, so I have to say that this review (great read, thanks Raul!) didn't do much for me... til the end. I LOVE that ending. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Without having read the script for myself, it sounds like with a tiny bit of tweaking, this would have made for an incredible sci-fi action masterpiece.

EFLA was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and that's not an exaggeration. Even though this version of the story retains a lot of the stuff that I just couldn't stand in the final version, that ending sold it for me. Well, the climax. Seems a bit rushed having it go from Snake screaming about owning the island to cuttin to a text explaining that not long after, he wound up in Manhattan.

Also, there are leaps of logic I'm willing to take, and there are those that I am not. Snake's army pals being dug up and cloned I am ok with. Virally infected commuters sitting in rush hour traffic months after the outbreak is a bit much. And the float-wars.. ew.

Yah, I think overall I'm just impressed by the climax. Good, good stuff!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:56 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I know, huh???

I wonder how people would have reacted. I'm not as much of a Snake fan as others are...I don't DISLIKE EFNY, but i'm not particularly emotionally invested in Plissken either. For me, that ending would have been a pretty cool twist.

SPOILERS

I think at the time it would have been uber-cool. But now, 20 years later, with countless "he was a clone!", "he IS a clone!", "CLONE!!!" type storylines, it seems cheap and irritating.

But, like I said, if that had been made shortly after EFNY, I think the majority of the audience would have been shocked and amused. I mean, this was when big twist spoilery endings were kept secret.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:07 pm

CLONE!!!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I know, huh???

SPOILERS

I think at the time it would have been uber-cool. But now, 20 years later, with countless "he was a clone!", "he IS a clone!", "CLONE!!!" type storylines, it seems cheap and irritating.

Yeah, great point. As i was reading the review and I got to that part my initial reaction was " :roll: really????" but then I had to re-examine when the script was WRITTEN. That type of story line is pretty played out now, but back then I think it would have been pretty cool.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fawst on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:12 pm

Oh shit, I thought this script was written back when the actual EFLA came out. My mistake! That ending just got better in my book!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:13 pm

tapehead wrote:CLONE!!!

Shh!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 pm

CLONE!!!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby minstrel on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 pm

I've never seen EFNY, but I've read a lot about Snake Plissken here and elsewhere. I think I'd feel really shat on if I was told that the hero of a movie I liked for years was actually a clone, and not the real guy.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Al Shut on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:18 pm

I've just read the review and all I can think of is how Oral Turnwheel has to be the worst name ever to be created by man.

Sounds like a sender of spam mails
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:19 pm

minstrel wrote:I've never seen EFNY, but I've read a lot about Snake Plissken here and elsewhere. I think I'd feel really shat on if I was told that the hero of a movie I liked for years was actually a clone, and not the real guy.

hahah, see I could envision a lot of people feeling this way too.

It's certainly an ending that would polarize viewers one way or the other, I think!!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby tapehead on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Oh sure, it's a bit of a twist - it's no the Force is really just midichlorians in your bloodstream, but it does kind of put a dampener on some of the Plissken magic.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby bluebottle on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:24 pm

tapehead wrote:CLONE!!!

lol
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:25 pm

tapehead wrote:Oh sure, it's a bit of a twist - it's no the Force is really just midichlorians in your bloodstream, but it does kind of put a dampener on some of the Plissken magic.

damn you, sir. I'd managed to purge that from my mind.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:35 pm

j fiori wrote:Great review. Just for the record though, you said that you'd like to post the script but shouldn't based on the copyright, Check the date on that copyright it may have expired since it's been more that 10 years. But even if it hasn't, you are not the one who would be infringing on it. The author who undoubtedly signed some sort of contract before starting the assignment is He's the one who made a profit by putting the material on the open market. The damage is done. Unless you signed some sort of non-disclosure agreement when you bought it, It is now considered "Secondary market Material". Much like the animation cels or comic book art being sold all across the world. If it makes you feel better, don't make money off it. I don't know what you ended up paying for the script, but you are legally entitled to make back that same ammount plus an additional percentage as a service fee. Much the same way ticket brokers do to get around the scalping laws. And yes, although all of this is true, I am only posting because I'd very much like to read the script (as I'm sure so would a million other folks). Thanks

Coleman Luck told me that he personally wouldn't care if I posted the script online, but cautioned me against doing so. He's not sure what the legal situation is or who really owns it. He said that he was paid in full for his services as a writer, so back in '87, John Carpenter (or DEG?) essentially bought Coleman out. If only we knew someone who could contact John Carpenter to see what he thought about the script going online...

Moo, do you want to chime in with any legal theories? Does our friend, Mr. Fiori here, pretty much have it?
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:04 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
j fiori wrote:Great review. Just for the record though, you said that you'd like to post the script but shouldn't based on the copyright, Check the date on that copyright it may have expired since it's been more that 10 years. But even if it hasn't, you are not the one who would be infringing on it. The author who undoubtedly signed some sort of contract before starting the assignment is He's the one who made a profit by putting the material on the open market. The damage is done. Unless you signed some sort of non-disclosure agreement when you bought it, It is now considered "Secondary market Material". Much like the animation cels or comic book art being sold all across the world. If it makes you feel better, don't make money off it. I don't know what you ended up paying for the script, but you are legally entitled to make back that same ammount plus an additional percentage as a service fee. Much the same way ticket brokers do to get around the scalping laws. And yes, although all of this is true, I am only posting because I'd very much like to read the script (as I'm sure so would a million other folks). Thanks

Coleman Luck told me that he personally wouldn't care if I posted the script online, but cautioned me against doing so. He's not sure what the legal situation is or who really owns it. He said that he was paid in full for his services as a writer, so back in '87, John Carpenter (or DEG?) essentially bought Coleman out. If only we knew someone who could contact John Carpenter to see what he thought about the script going online...

Moo, do you want to chime in with any legal theories? Does our friend, Mr. Fiori here, pretty much have it?

Not quite.

Copyright in the U.S. for unpublished works is typically the life of the author plus 70 years, so there is no chance that the copyright has expired.

If Coleman does not own the copyright in the script (it was transferred to DEG or some other person, or, more likely, it is considered a "Work Made For Hire" and is owned by whomever paid him) then his transfer of the actual document to you does not transfer copyright...he can only transfer those rights he has. Also, in order to formally transfer copyright in the US you need some sort of a writing signed by the parties. Possesion of the physical object does not necessarily mean you own the copyright. The First Sale Doctrine is an exception to the copyright rule...if you buy something from the copyright owner you can then resell it, give it away, etc (this is where the secondary market comes in), but in this case you may not have purchased the script from the copyright owner...which makes things murky.

If copyright ownership is in any way in question, i would not recommend posting the script. It'd be tough for anyone to show DAMAGES...but if the copyright in the script has been REGISTERED (it may well have been if a studio owns it), then they can sue for statutory damages (i.e. they don't have to show that they were harmed, it's essentially a punitive damage).

Make sense? I'm a paranoid lawyer but I don't think I'd mess around with posting it.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks, Moo. And yeah, I know for sure that I in no way own the copyright, and Mr. Luck was very clear about that fact in his eBay listing.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:31 pm

just read your review, Raul. great job.

that was pretty trippy, indeed. still not sure how i feel about it, though. heh.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Coleman Luck's ESCAPE FROM L.A.(SPOILERS!!!! kinda?)

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:26 pm

Well, on that note, I'd just photocopy the hell out of it and sell it secreatly at conventions for about $50 a pop. If anyone asks, you made a copy for a friend and he went off and made 400 other copies to whore out.

But on the main topic, great review. The script sounds batshit, but like many others, I didnt buy the whole SNAKE CLONE thing...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bluebottle on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:29 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Copyright in the U.S. for unpublished works is typically the life of the author plus 70 years, so there is no chance that the copyright has expired.

If Coleman does not own the copyright in the script (it was transferred to DEG or some other person, or, more likely, it is considered a "Work Made For Hire" and is owned by whomever paid him) then his transfer of the actual document to you does not transfer copyright...he can only transfer those rights he has. Also, in order to formally transfer copyright in the US you need some sort of a writing signed by the parties. Possesion of the physical object does not necessarily mean you own the copyright. The First Sale Doctrine is an exception to the copyright rule...if you buy something from the copyright owner you can then resell it, give it away, etc (this is where the secondary market comes in), but in this case you may not have purchased the script from the copyright owner...which makes things murky.

If copyright ownership is in any way in question, i would not recommend posting the script. It'd be tough for anyone to show DAMAGES...but if the copyright in the script has been REGISTERED (it may well have been if a studio owns it), then they can sue for statutory damages (i.e. they don't have to show that they were harmed, it's essentially a punitive damage).

Make sense? I'm a paranoid lawyer but I don't think I'd mess around with posting it.

Smartypants.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Well,

Postby lornsorrow on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Well, in some ways I can say I like it better than the film version of ESCAPE FROM L.A., but it still has many of the same problems that I find with the L.A. story, which is that its WAY OVER THE FUCKING TOP. Too much going on. I would have been more interested if Escape From L.A. had been closer to something like 28 Days Later with Snake in it. The beauty of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK is that it is so grim and real. Just a bunch of messed up people trapped on Manhattan Island, struggling to survive and vying for power. Animal like posturing. The sense that this could all really happen. What would you do if your were walking down those streets at night, trapped there, having to deal with all this run down, screwed up shit. With the L.A. story concepts, people seem to want to GET WAY OVER THE TOP. It shouldn't be. For me, it should have been more like what would happen with all the gangs and other crap here (I live in L.A., Antelope Valley actually which is part of L.A.), if the whole place broke off as an island. It would certainly have its own quirkyness sure, but not so over the top. Not if they are truly cut off. Not if people were cut off and starving to death and ravaging the streets for food, etc. More like the "crazies" in New York. Sure there would be room for oddball stuff (I thought the kids with Uzi's in the film was a nice touch). As for the ending of the script. No fucking thanks. I already have an old one time issue MARVEL comic book (Dated JAN 97) entitled THE ADVENTURES OF SNAKE PLISSKEN, with, interestingly enough, Snake defeating a robot that is programed to think like Snake and that was programed so well the robot says "I AM YOU". Snake says "I don't see the resemblance" "for one thing, you talk to much" and he blows the robot away. As its shorting out, it asks "why" and snake answers "I don't need the competition." and walks away. That is enough for me with that basic idea, its not something realistic enough for me to see on film. Give us ESCAPE FROM EARTH!!! As for the ending of the script, NO FUCKING WAY. Snake is no clone. As Merrick said in the review:

"HOWEVER, the clone Snake conceit is a complete stinker. I can see why Luck brought that to the equation, and appreciate the mind-fuck he was going for with it, but it feels decidedly un EFLA/EFNY to me. A big part of Plissken's appeal is that, well, he simply is what he is...there's no joy in defusing that (in my mind, at least)."
lornsorrow
GLIB

Postby Orcus on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:46 pm

Would it break copyright laws to have Raul type a page day here and substitute the word "Snake" with the word "pants" ? :)

Seriously, I would be real interested to read it
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fawst on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:47 pm

I think the upside to the Snake clone story is that it does it in a way that completely fucks with the (now cliche) concept. Keep in mind, this IS still Snake. It's not like it's Fake-Snake or something. Ah nevermind, the less I say, the better off my story involving cloning is :)
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:54 pm

Orcus wrote:Would it break copyright laws to have Raul type a page day here and substitute the word "Snake" with the word "pants" ? :)

"Hey, twill flat-front khakis!"
"Call me ... pants."
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Orcus wrote:Would it break copyright laws to have Raul type a page day here and substitute the word "Snake" with the word "pants" ? :)

I don't know if I'd be up for that dude, but here's a bonus scene that takes place at the very beginning of the movie in Las Vegas. I wrote this out as part of the first draft of my review before I realized I was being impractically detailed:

The earthquake here seems to have been far more devastating than the one in Carpenter’s film. We first join the story in the city of Las Vegas By-The-Sea : Resort and Naval Base! The date onscreen reads September 16th, 1995. We see a military helicopter cruise over The Strip while “An ocean fog is settling, giving the gaudy buildings a surreal and misty glow.â€
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fawst on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Now THAT is good stuff.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:48 pm

That was freaking awesome haha.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:52 pm

magicmonkey wrote:I think Merrick was a little harsh with the rejected script thing in the title... do I smell jealousy? What is the deal with that? Was the script rejected as it were or were there other difficulties / copyrights / technology not being quite right to make the picture the way the director intended? :-P

Saying that the script was "rejected" may be putting too fine a point on it. I mean, obviously JC wasn't in love with this version, since he had it rewritten when he started the project up again, but who knows what would have happened if DeLaurentiis Entertainment Group had stayed in business. Maybe Coleman would have received notes and had the chance to write a second draft. And to be sure, the cover page of this script reads "FIRST DRAFT," written on December 7th, 1987, while DEG went belly up in January of '88. (Coleman was a year off on his dates in his initial eBay posting, which he later corrected.)
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:53 pm

I think Dino owes us all an apology!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:57 pm

Word
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:04 pm

It's a 'cos I spent alla the money onna the "King Kong, He Lives", eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:07 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:If only we knew someone who could contact John Carpenter to see what he thought about the script going online...

Yeah, if only there was a writer on the site that had contact with JC...

Nope, can't think of anyone!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Re: Well,

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:14 pm

lornsorrow wrote:Well, in some ways I can say I like it better than the film version of ESCAPE FROM L.A., but it still has many of the same problems that I find with the L.A. story, which is that its WAY OVER THE FUCKING TOP. Too much going on. I would have been more interested if Escape From L.A. had been closer to something like 28 Days Later with Snake in it. The beauty of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK is that it is so grim and real. Just a bunch of messed up people trapped on Manhattan Island, struggling to survive and vying for power. Animal like posturing. The sense that this could all really happen. What would you do if your were walking down those streets at night, trapped there, having to deal with all this run down, screwed up shit. With the L.A. story concepts, people seem to want to GET WAY OVER THE TOP.

I hope that I was able to accurately relay the spirit of the script, and that the "over the top" feel wasn't just my geekiness favouring the wacky parts over the subtle parts; but yeah, if you're looking for gritty realism, the script ain't exactly that.

And if you thought there was too much going on, remember, I didn't even get to talk about everything that happens.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Next

Return to Movie News