New Mignola film by David Goyer... BALTIMORE

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

New Mignola film by David Goyer... BALTIMORE

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:42 am

I get goosebumps just reading this...

Just-published by Bantam, the graphic novel tells the story of the awakening of supreme evil on Earth. Lord Henry Baltimore is bitten by a demonic vampire bat on a WWI battlefield. The plague destroys his family, and Baltimore creates a team to hunt and fight the Red King, the embodiment of all evil.

The whole story is on the main page, but it looks like Goyer will direct with Mignola and co writter Golden writing
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: New Mignola film by David Goyer...BALTIMORE

Postby unikrunk on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:56 am

bastard_robo wrote:I get goosebumps just reading this...

Just-published by Bantam, the graphic novel tells the story of the awakening of supreme evil on Earth. Lord Henry Baltimore is bitten by a demonic vampire bat on a WWI battlefield. The plague destroys his family, and Baltimore creates a team to hunt and fight the Red King, the embodiment of all evil.

The whole story is on the main page, but it looks like Goyer will direct with Mignola and co writter Golden writing

It's not really a GN - it’s a novel with some illustrations in it - picked it up but have not read it yet - the full title Is Baltimore - Or The Steadfast Tin Soldier & the Vampire

And this should not be in Goyer’s hands as director -

/Blade 3?
//Golden and Migonla co-authored it, so their involvement is good
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:30 pm

I'm really surprised that this thread isn't seeing more action. This sounds pretty damn cool.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

New Mignola film by David Goyer...BALTIMORE

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:07 am

buster00 wrote:I'm really surprised that this thread isn't seeing more action. This sounds pretty damn cool.

Second the Notion.

I went out looking for the book today, and could not find it!

Im going to contiue tomarrow as I havent really read anything interesting... Book wise, since THE ADVENTURES OF FAN BOY AND GOTH GIRL.

Im a whore for any thing Mignola touches, and this just sounds like the wall of batshit insane Mignola fun!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: New Mignola film by David Goyer... BALTIMORE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:35 pm

From MTV's Splash Page: David Goyer Goes to ‘Baltimore’ With ‘Hellboy’ Creator Mike Mignola

David Goyer’s got the next “Batman” and “Super Max” on his mind, but after that, he’s got a little trip to “Baltimore” to make.

“We’re now in the process of working out with David Goyer and the producers the notes on the first draft of the script, so we can start the next draft immediately,” said Christopher Golden.

“Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Solider and the Vampire,” is an illustrated novel co-written by Golden and “Hellboy” creator Mike Mignola, with art by Mignola, in which a captain in the British infantry, Lord Henry Baltimore, mistakenly wakes up a vampire with the blood on a battlefield during World War I. Golden is writing the script for New Regency with input from Mignola.

“The first thing that had to be fixed from moving from book to screenplay was the vagueness of the book,” Golden said. “You need something to hang the movie on, a propulsion engine. So there are lots of things we hint at in the book, regarding the Red King and the source of supernatural evil, but in the script we bring it to the surface and make it more clear what they’re up against.”

Golden has also strengthened the characters, so that the relationship with Baltimore’s friends is more “interesting.” “We’ve been able to look at the dynamic more closely, and it’s important who they are as individuals as well as who they are to each other,” Golden said. “I think we have a better sense in the film how Baltimore mattered to them and the impact on their lives. And for each of them, they’ve lost something vital in their lives, and they’ve done so because of their encounters with the supernatural.”

Golden imagines Paul Giamatti in the role of the doctor friend when he’s writing him, “but that doesn’t mean he will say yes!” he laughed. “I have no control over that.” Plus, though he imagines different actors in different roles, Goyer has ideas of his own, Golden said, and some of those ideas are even better — and he trusts him, Golden said, because he “gets it.”

“We were assuming that everyone in Hollywood would say dump the three stories about the three friends since it doesn’t connect to the throughline and the telescoping of time,” Golden said. “But David said those are his favorite things and he wants to preserve them as much as possible. He’s been entirely supportive of the quirky things.”

And as they get further along with drafts of the script, Golden welcomes Goyer taking a crack at it, if he were so inclined. “I would love for David to take a turn,” Golden said. “I was about to suggest a new prologue [that wasn't part of the novel], and he suggested it before I could suggest it. It’s nice to know we’re on the same page.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 pm

http://www.christophergolden.com/baltimore.html

Warners acquires Christopher Golden book proposal
Chernin Entertainment will produce 'Tin Man' to be published this year
Justin Kroll wrote:Warner Bros. has acquired the screen rights to book proposal "Tin Man" by Christopher Golden.

Chernin Entertainment took the proposal out last week and will produce the pic for the studio. The studio will now look to find a scribe to adapt the proposal; plot details are being kept under wraps.

The book is expected to be published sometime this year.

Golden is best known for his dark fantasies and teen thrillers, and his novel "Joe Golem and the Drowning City" is currently has being developed by Constantin Film with Alex Proyas attached to direct.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mignola's HELLBOY REBOOT

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 09, 2017 5:33 am

THR MAY 08, 2017:
'Hellboy' Reboot in the Works With 'Stranger Things' Star David Harbour
Borys Kit wrote:Hellboy, the demonic comic book hero turned Guillermo del Toro film franchise, is poised to return to the big screen, this time without the filmmaker at the helm.

Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment that would reboot and relaunch the property. Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment is also producing.

Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is attached to direct the project, which has a working title of Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Del Toro is not involved, nor is Ron Perlman, the actor who inhabited the red-skinned, cigar-chomping devil in the two previous installments.

Rather, David Harbour, the Stranger Things star, is in talks to play Hellboy.

If a deal is made, Millennium would become the third company to make a Hellboy movie in as many releases.

Hellboy was created in 1993 by Mignola and became an indie comic hit as it told of a demon, raised by a professor, working to fight supernatural evildoers for an organization called Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Del Toro co-wrote and directed the first adaptation, which was made by Revolution Studios and released by Sony in 2004. The movie made $60 million domestically (another $40 million internationally, asterisked by the fact that this was the era before international box-office dominated performance) on a budget of $66 million.

The second movie was made by Universal with the same team — del Toro and Perlman — but its box-office mojo was cut short when The Dark Knight, directed by Christopher Nolan and featuring Heath Ledger as the Joker, opened six days later.

But both movies engendered strong cult followings and there were rumblings of a third installment. Last year, del Toro, Dark Horse Entertainment, Levin and Gordon, the latter of whom controls the rights, explored their options. However, the budget was a stumbling block, with del Toro wanting a bigger canvas for his vision. In the end, the producers decided a reboot and relaunch was the more feasible route.

Marshall is now developing a new script with Aron Coleite, who worked on NBC's Heroes and is also working on the new Star Trek: Discovery series. He will also act as a producer with his partner Marc Helwig.

io9 02/21/17:
Guillermo del Toro Finally Admits Hellboy 3 Is Never Ever Happening

Bloody Disgusting Jun 20, 2011:
‘Hellboy’ Creator Says ‘Guillermo del Toro WON’T Direct ‘Hellboy 3’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Tue May 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Del Toro makes about 1 movie for about every 10 he says he is going to make. he needs to go back to making movies like The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth instead of sitting around for years on end "planning" big budget spectacle movies that never come to fruition

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Mike Mignola's HELLBOY REBOOT

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 11, 2017 3:46 am

Twitter:
Jeffrey Tambor wrote:Mike: I may be unvail--
nice on the loyalty to Ron and Guillermo, btw

BMD:
The HELLBOY Reboot Will Be “Darker, More Gruesome” Than Before
Andrew Cosby wrote:“I can’t really talk about specifics with regard to the story, which they’re keeping a pretty tight lid on at the moment, but I can say that this is a darker, more gruesome version of Hellboy.

Neil said from the very beginning that he wanted to walk a razor’s edge between horror and comic book movie, which was music to my ears because that’s what I was shooting for in the script, and precisely what Mignola does so well with the comics.

Honestly, everyone has just been working overtime to bring that Mignola magic to the big screen. The script is done, but work will continue as we move forward, always trying to make it the best it can be.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mike Mignola's HELLBOY REBOOT

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 am

Forbes:
Box Office: Can 'Hellboy' Become A Franchise On The Third Try?
Scott Mendelson wrote:There may be potential for a bigger overseas bounty than existed in the mid-2000s, especially if the budget is such that a $50 million+ take in China can compensate for indifference elsewhere around the globe. But Hellboy is also a property that has struck out twice, in an environment that is arguably more beneficial to its success. And those films had the advantage of being the first Hellboy movies.

This Hellboy reboot may look appealing after the successes of Deadpool and Logan. But, those films were unique and interesting when they arrived on the scene. One was a crowd-pleasing (and relatively "nice") satirical riff on comic book superhero movies and the other being a generational coronation of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and the X-Men franchise. Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen will just be another Hellboy movie.

The Hollywood Reporter:
'Hellboy' and the Hidden Potential of a Reboot
"Is it too early to talk about a shared universe based on Mike Mignola's creations?"
Graeme McMillan wrote:The full scope of the world of Hellboy is immense, thanks to not only Mignola following his particular interests wherever they take him in the two decades-plus since the character's 1993 debut, but also the input of a number of creators including John Arcudi (Mignola's B.P.R.D. co-writer for more than a decade), Guy Davis, Chris Roberson and Christopher Golden. With one foot in the supernatural, stories have expanded into other genres across the years, including sci-fi, superheroics and straight-up horror — in other words, ideal fodder for a shared cinematic universe, should Millennium, the studio behind the new Hellboy feature, want to build one.

It's early days, of course; the Hellboy feature itself is only just taking shape, so thoughts of spinoffs and building an entire franchise based around the multiple properties are at best long-term planning, if not plain wishful thinking. Yet, given the potential offered by everything Mignola and company have built across the years, it's something that should at least be in the back of studio executives' minds. After all, when it comes down to it, what studio wouldn't want to boast of being able to build "Marvel, but with monsters"?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mike Mignola's Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 19, 2017 3:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mike Mignola's 'Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:46 am

David Harbour Teases ‘Hellboy’ Reboot As ‘Darker,’ ‘More of a Character Piece’
“Stranger Things” actor tells TheWrap R-rated movie is set to begin shooting in September
Beatrice Verhoeven wrote:David Harbour just wrapped filming the second season of Netflix’s “Stranger Things.” Now he’s preparing to start shooting “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen,” which he teased as “darker” and “more of a character piece” to TheWrap.

“We’re supposed to go in September, I hope,” he said during a recent interview with TheWrap. “It’s good. It’s a whole new thing. I’d always been a fan of the comics and there’s a darker tone to it and I think in the climate we have now there’s kind of a darker… a desire for more of that… the script is good and this guy Neil Marshall is directing who’s really good and the aesthetic is great.”

In April, “Hellboy” creator Mike Mignola announced the R-rated reboot of the franchise with Marshall (“The Descent”) as the helmer of the project. Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Mignola are writing the script. The news came two months after Guillermo del Toro, who directed 2004’s “Hellboy” and 2008’s “Hellboy II: The Golden Army” with Ron Perlman playing the titular character, announced “Hellboy 3” would not happen.

In weeks prior, the filmmaker had teased fans with “Hellboy 3,” putting polls on Twitter about the threequel and writing that he met with Perlman, who is “in for the sit down.”

That didn’t pan out, unfortunately, as del Toro is not attached to the upcoming reboot in which Harbour will play the titular hero. Harbour credited his performance as Jim Hopper in “Stranger Things” as the reason he will play Hellboy.

“It’s a character that I love, and sort of in the way, I think Mike [Mignola] and a bunch of other people saw me in ‘Stranger Things’ and wanted me to play Hellboy and I think he has some parallels to him. I think he’s another complicated anti-hero who is not strictly good or bad, he’s just trying to do the right thing. I think he’s a demon, he’s crazy, and he’s also sweet and vulnerable and neurotic […] so there’s a lot of complexity there.”

All in all, Harbour just wants to make a “good movie.”

David Harbour Says Director Told Him He Was 'Too studly' to Play The Blob in Wolverine Movie
“We’re just a little worried about your health,” “Stranger Things” actor remembers being told by a director
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News