Johnny 5 Is Alive Again?

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Johnny 5 Is Alive Again?

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:30 pm

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117983475.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

....with a Weinstein remake. It seems like a lot of the original creators are involved though. Hopefully it won't go too CGI as the practical on-set stuff is one of it's stronger points.

I'm not sure if people like this film or if it's just one of those little things that's part of our childhood, but still a bit annoying.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Johnny 5 is Alive....again?

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I'm not sure if people like this film or if it's just one of those little things that's part of our childhood, but still a bit annoying.

If Flumm had tear ducts, he'd be crying right now.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Johnny 5 is Alive....again?

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:36 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I'm not sure if people like this film or if it's just one of those little things that's part of our childhood, but still a bit annoying.

If Flumm had tear ducts, he'd be crying right now.

heheh, he would...but I still need to say that I think it's the latter. I don't know if it's "annoying" but I could care less about a remake of this. Of course, it's probably not targeted at me.

remakes, remakes, remakes....
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm

What I meant was that ... I know it's not that greatest film of all time but when it's on I'll give it a watch just because of it's nostalgic character, even though it's quite annoying to see a "bud bud ding ding" Indian character and Steve Guttenburg on screen with a robot who is a git.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Short Circuit 1 (let's not talk about the sequel) is one of those movies that gets an automatic Rainy Sunday Afternoon pass for me. I haven't seen it in a couple of years (which is probably more recently than most of you), but last time I did I actually laughed quite a few times. Like when the Hindu guy came out with lines like, "With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?" and, "I have seen some strange, bizarre drivers, but you. You will be awarded a cake."

Considering that 60% of the script basically consists of defunct '80s tech terminology, I can see a remake working. It'll probably byte if they drop the racist, fake Indian guy from the script though.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:03 pm

Fried Gold wrote:What I meant was that ... I know it's not that greatest film of all time but when it's on I'll give it a watch just because of it's nostalgic character, even though it's quite annoying to see a "bud bud ding ding" Indian character and Steve Guttenburg on screen with a robot who is a git.

Right...and the nostalgia factor (and Ally Sheedy...who is one of those "hot or not?" actresses but is pretty cute in SC) is pretty much all it has going for it. Neither of these things can be captured by a remake. So unless they put Megan Fox in it and she spends most of the film in a bikini, i doubt i'll be watching this.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:11 pm

I hear it features Steve Guttenberg in a bikini for most of it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I hear it features Steve Guttenberg in a bikini for most of it.

GUTTENPACKAGE?

Ok fine, i'll catch it dvd...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby instant_karma on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:19 pm

I always thought Johnny 5 could kick the T-100's ass...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:23 pm

I saw it recently, it was really basic but still fun. Could be nice but I get a feeling they're riding on the coattails of Wall-E, which is riding on the coattails of Short Circuit. So everyone's happy!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:32 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Considering that 60% of the script basically consists of defunct '80s tech terminology, I can see a remake working. It'll probably byte if they drop the racist, fake Indian guy from the script though.

It's cool. They'll probably just replace him with Nick Cannon to make it a racist black guy.

...and I do not even kid.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:20 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Considering that 60% of the script basically consists of defunct '80s tech terminology, I can see a remake working. It'll probably byte if they drop the racist, fake Indian guy from the script though.

It's cool. They'll probably just replace him with Nick Cannon to make it a racist black guy.

Naw, I meant that the dude playing him was as Indian as I am. Were there no Indian character actors in Hollywood in the '80s?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:46 pm

It's horrible. I'm too young to see my entire childhood be remade like this.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:01 pm

DaleTremont wrote:

I want to see Chris Rock with a welsh accent in that role.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:05 pm

Llrys Rock?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:17 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:

Naw, I meant that the dude playing him was as Indian as I am. Were there no Indian character actors in Hollywood in the '80s?

That's not just "some dude"...that was Fisher Stevens (who's now the late Freighty George Minkowski on Lost)!

But yes, they should have hired a real Indian for the part.

"Ooh, her pants are blazing for you, Newton Crosby!"
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:24 pm

buster00 wrote:That's not just "some dude"...that was Fisher Stevens (who's now the late Freighty George Minkowski on Lost)!

Hackers Fisher Stevens? No way!

Must go back and re-watch Short Circuit....

But nonetheless, if they're keeping with the original spirit of quirky ethnic sidekicks...I'm tellin' ya, Nick Cannon will be getting a call soon enough. Or if they're really keeping with the original spirit, maybe...

DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:31 pm

Disassemble? Disassemble means die.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:02 pm

I think Short Circuit 2 was better than the first.

Los Vatos kick your head
Los Vatos kick your face
Los Vatos kick your balls into outer space!!

Best street toughs ever. The ending kicked all kinds of ass too. Johnny 5 with a mohawk.

I keep saying this about remakes and I'm always disappointed, but as long as they keep Johnny 5 as the main character instead of some foil for some lame teenager trying to impress some girl.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:11 pm

Dont forget him being gold for some reason at the end...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:19 pm

He was gold because he saved the city from bank robbers. Get with it, Monkey Man.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:40 pm

They give you gold for that??!? Damn. I am going to stay near a bank tomorrow...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:04 am

Now that I think about it, the more logical explanation would be that after Johnny 5 defeated the bank robbers he just kept all the loot for himself and pimped out his duds. Either way your plan is sound, Bob.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby DennisMM on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:09 am

DaleTremont wrote:
buster00 wrote:That's not just "some dude"...that was Fisher Stevens (who's now the late Freighty George Minkowski on Lost)!

Hackers Fisher Stevens? No way![/img]

Yes, Fisher Stevens - born Steven Fisher, former squeeze of Michelle Pfeiffer, who canned his ass because he cheated on her.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:17 am

I still remember Stevens from My Science Project - a film I haven't seen since it came out on video/HBO but still registers as a "cool for what it was" movie from the 80's. I mean, Dennis Hopper got to go BACK to Woodstock. How cool is that!?!?

"Go ahead..... make my semestah!" - Fisher Stevens in My Science Project
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 am

I hope this doesn't start a trend of remaking 80s tech movies. Heaven help us if the suits decide to remake "Batteries Not Included". I just don't think todays climate can support a lovable black character who is mildly ALF. Frank McRae and Ernie Hudson are just too old to cut it. Maybe Fisher Steven can put on some black face.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby DennisMM on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:30 am

Robert Downey, Jr.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:33 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I hope this doesn't start a trend of remaking 80s tech movies. Heaven help us if the suits decide to remake "Batteries Not Included". I just don't think todays climate can support a lovable black character who is mildly ALF. Frank McRae and Ernie Hudson are just too old to cut it. Maybe Fisher Steven can put on some black face.

D.A.R.Y.L. can't be far behind.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:35 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I hope this doesn't start a trend of remaking 80s tech movies. Heaven help us if the suits decide to remake "Batteries Not Included". I just don't think todays climate can support a lovable black character who is mildly ALF. Frank McRae and Ernie Hudson are just too old to cut it. Maybe Fisher Steven can put on some black face.

Well there is always Bill and Ted remakes on the other end of the spectrum to settle things...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:43 am

Dr. Warmonger does not approve.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:07 am

That's the other robot movie I was thinking of...! I bet that's due for a remake, along with Flight of the Navigator.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:17 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Now that I think about it, the more logical explanation would be that after Johnny 5 defeated the bank robbers he just kept all the loot for himself and pimped out his duds. Either way your plan is sound, Bob.

That's hanging with gangs for you.

Besides, who can be sure it was gold? May have been buff bronze!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:18 am

Fievel wrote:

D.A.R.Y.L. can't be far behind.

Yipes. Aren't they remaking Wargames?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:18 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:

That's the other robot movie I was thinking of...! I bet that's due for a remake, along with Flight of the Navigator.

Compliance.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:25 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:

That robot alien thing gave me nightmares. The same goes for that robot alien thing in "My Step Mother's an Alien".
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:29 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I think Short Circuit 2 was better than the first.

Los Vatos kick your head
Los Vatos kick your face
Los Vatos kick your balls into outer space!!

Best street toughs ever. The ending kicked all kinds of ass too. Johnny 5 with a mohawk.

I keep saying this about remakes and I'm always disappointed, but as long as they keep Johnny 5 as the main character instead of some foil for some lame teenager trying to impress some girl.

Los Locos, my friend. Los Locos. And it was your ass which they kicked into outer space.

I am not as sure about the first thing they kicked, because it would make their chant redundant, but I thought it was the butt, not the face.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:46 pm

My rhyme is cooler. Think of how much awesomer it would be to kick someone's balls into outer space as opposed to the ass.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Johnny 5 is Alive....again?

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:59 pm

I forgot that the guys who made TREMORS wrote these films.

I recently bought short circut at wallmart ($5 SPECIAL)

the movie still holds up, and thats all thanks to the filmakers making johnny 5 a charecter than a sfx piece.

These are just really fun family films.. So im not opposed to a remake,

as long as its not riddled with pop culture jokes that will be dated in 2 years AND johnny 5 HAS TO BE A PRACTICAL PROP! NO CGI
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to re-release the original?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Johnny 5 is Alive....again?

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Wouldn't it just be cheaper to re-release the original?

ITS TOO REAL FOR TODAYS SPOILED YOUTH!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Johnny 5 Is Alive Again?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:59 pm

And I was really hoping Tarantino was going to have a go at this.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:28 pm

I was hoping for Joe Eszterhas.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:01 am

Things can always get worse, but this is really bad news.
Do we really need a remake of Short Circuit?

From Variety:
Carr to drive 'Short Circuit' remake - 'Mall Cop' director takes on Dimension comedy
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:54 am

Well, at least they are not using exactly the same story ("He befriends a lonely boy and his fractured family."), which is in my eyes the most important thing for a remake to do. And unlike most people on the internet I don't hate "Paul Blart: Mall Cop", although I gotta admit that it didn't put Steve Carr on my "directors to watch"-list. I think i stay carefullly optimistic, until I see at least a trailer.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Well, at least they are not using exactly the same story ("He befriends a lonely boy and his fractured family.")

so instead they're ripping off ET and iron giant. which is ironic, since the original short circuit was always being accused of ripping off ET for the robot design.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:42 am

ET and the iron giant didn't befriend the whole family!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:51 am

ET did!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 am

Only after he died.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:21 am

are you kidding? he went trick-or-treating with them! he played dress-up with gertie! gertie teaches him to talk! the only one he didn't interact with was the mom.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Next

Return to Movie News