Ghost in the Shell

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Ghost in the Shell

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:42 am

I know I've seen the original anime a couple of times, and I know it's held in very high regard among anime lovers, but I never remember much about it. I think a cyborg cop gets hacked and turned evil or something?

I thought SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN had some merit. Individual scenes were actually quite good. This Sanders guy worked well with effects and created good visuals and atmosphere. Some of the creature moments had that Jim Henson vibe, which is very hard to recreate with CGI. The overall movie was just somewhat underwhelming, partly because of the casting of Stewart, and partly because it fell into the same dull clash-of-CGI-armies climax that everything does these days. But I'd be willing to believe this guy could make a better movie.

I thought Robbie did hold her ground well against DiCaprio in WOLF OF WALL STREET.

So I guess if a trailer for this comes along and looks good, I'll probably give it a shot.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:30 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I know I've seen the original anime a couple of times, and I know it's held in very high regard among anime lovers, but I never remember much about it. I think a cyborg cop gets hacked and turned evil or something?

More like cyborg cop hunts cyber terrorist who hacks other people but not the cyborg cop. Musings about being human and /or a cyborg ensue.

Shirley, your memories must have been hacked.

Time to switch to my old av.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Al Shut wrote:Shirley, your memories must have been hacked.

When my childhood shows up on the internet, I hope you will all respect my privacy and not watch it. Even if Richard Linklater takes all the banal moments and edits them together into one three hour film, you must resist.

Al Shut wrote:Musings about being human and /or a cyborg ensue.

I knew there was something that separated this film from every other movie about robots released in the last 40 years.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 am

Did Ghost In the Shell Swap Out a Suicide Squad Member For an Avenger?
DreamWorks has reportedly gone after Scarlett Johansson to star in their live-action adaptation of Ghost in the Shell.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:34 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:30 pm

I revisited the first GHOST IN THE SHELL anime movie and I quite liked it. It is a very good movie.

Al Shut wrote:Musings about being human and /or a cyborg ensue.

This stuff was handled fairly well. A lot of this jibberjabber about A.I. and robots feels worn-out to me now, but it fit well in this movie (and I was willing to cut it more slack because it's from 1995). The version I watched was an English dub, and so some of the dialogue felt a little stilted. But it rarely got too preachy and the resolution wasn't too simplistic.

As far as a live action remake goes. I hope they'd follow the basic structure of the anime. We know they're going to drag out the action, because every movie these days needs to have 40 minute action sequences. The only thing I'd really want fleshed out better was the conspiracy. Maybe get to know the players and their relationships a bit better.

Anyway, LUCY has convinced me that ScarJo can be a compelling action lead and I can actually see her in this role.

The Internet throws around a lot of suggestion for the role of Bato. Prettymuch every older male actor with any manliness. A lot of people say Ron Pearlman, and he could be a lot of fun in the role. I'd be cool with Idris Elba, too.

So, I'll definitely see the live action remake and I'll probably check out the anime sequel at some point.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:33 am

Meh. I agree that Hollywood is racist, but doing GHOST IN SHELL set in USA with a white actress in the lead role doesn't bug me. The story is pretty universal.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:41 pm

I just finished watching the first season of the tv show and really liked it. Lots of good one-off episodes and I dug the over-arching Laughing Man plotline. I'm going to dig into the second season. I do believe that a live action Hollywood movie of this material could be good, and I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic that it will. I am looking forward to seeing who they cast as Batu.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:05 am

Disney Moves ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Up Two Weeks
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:Walt Disney Pictures has moved up the release of DreamWorks’ feature adaptation of Japanese manga comic Ghost In The Shell from Easter weekend — April 14, 2017 — to March 31, 2017. The pic will be released in 3D. The film, directed by Rupert Sanders and starring Scarlett Johansson will go up against Sony’s untitled Smurfs animation film.

Created by Masamune Shirow, Ghost In The Shell was first published in 1989 by Kodansha, one of the largest publishing companies in Japan. It went on to generate two additional manga editions, three anime film adaptations, an anime TV series and three video games. DreamWorks released the second anime film. Ghost In The Shell follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.

Deadline overheard that Johansson was offered $10M for the lead in Ghost In The Shell, given her success at the B.O. as Black Widow in the Marvel canon as well as last summer’s hit Lucy. Johansson took over after Margot Robbie left negotiations to join Warner Bros’ Suicide Squad.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:19 pm

I worked my way through Season 2 of STAND ALONE COMPLEX as well as catching the SOLID STATE SOCIETY follow-up movie. I prettymuch liked everything. There's really a great wealth of good stories. There's also ideas that are explored in ways that haven't become tired in Hollywood sci-fi movies. I still don't know if the Hollywood film is going to be a remake of any of these stories or an original one or one from the comics that was never done as animation.

I also liked that they toned down the fanservice on Motoko's wardrobe in the second season. I always just found she looked a bit silly standing around in a bathing suit in a government office in the first season.

I am still hoping this movie turns out well, although there's a lot of caution in my optimism.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:26 pm

'Straight Outta Compton' Writer to Tackle Scarlett Johansson Thriller 'Ghost in the Shell' (Exclusive)
Jonathan Herman has been brought in to do an overhaul of the DreamWorks sci-fi film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:50 pm

I watched the ARISE prequel/reboot miniseries. It is made up of 4 hour long episodes, making it much shorter than a SAC season. There is a new movie called THE NEW MOVIE (I guess they just kept the working title) which will follow up on this series. I haven't seen THE NEW MOVIE yet.

ARISE suffers from the same problems as all prequel/rebooty origin stories. The backstory stuff with Motoko putting the team together just isn't entertaining or interesting. It just feels like you're being made to wait to get to a narrative point you already know will happen. Once the team is assembled, you get more into the case they're solving and it's okay, but it feels awfully familiar. It's like it's been assembled from previous entries. The plot has a lot in common with SAC Season 2 and then it climaxes with Motoko fighting a tank just like the 1995 movie.

Motoko is physically redesigned to look like a Rooney Mara-esque pixie, and her character is reimagined to be a lot more emotionally vulnerable. Some of the character stuff works, her silly hairstyle does not.

This series is prettymuch what I expect from the live action Hollywood film. The need to explain origins instead of just starting with the heroes in place and putting them through a good plot. The need to make everything personal for the hero. Trends that don't really do anything for me.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:35 pm

ComicsAlliance:
The First Footage of ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Is Here in Five New Ominous Teasers
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 am

YouTube:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:37 pm

I don't know if it makes me racist or just a dumb American, but I am excited for this.

Long live the music of Depeche Mode!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:04 pm

Nothing about it feels especially original to me.

It will attract the "visually stunning" type quotes for the poster, but I'm guessing it may actually lack real Punky Power. If you're not familiar with Ghost in the Shell already (and I would wager that the majority of audience goers are not) then it just comes across as a generic action flick starring Black Widow in an absurd skin coloured wetsuit.

Could the actual movie be more than that? I suppose so.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Fievel wrote:I don't know if it makes me racist or just a dumb American.......

that's beside the point :-P

"it just comes across as a generic action flick"- Fried Gold

come on, a "generic action flick"? whatever criticism you might make of it "generic" wouldn't be a legitimate one. sure, it seems as if there is a subset of futuristic sci-fi stories with hot badass chicks who are unaware of the true nature of their reality, looking at you Aon Flux and Ultraviolet, but that is a particular flavor of sci-fi action, not generic. :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:42 pm

I've been a fan of the anime for years and this just seems like a hodgepodge of Matrix, Blade Runner, and several other generic action films tossed together. Forget whitewashing, this thing is suffering an identity crisis of what it wants to be. Also, veering from the anime by having her be one of a kind(or her kind) is ridiculous.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:49 pm

anime fans always seem to loathe the live action adaptations that are made for the big screen, ala Attack on Titan. are there any anime adaptations that fans haven't hated?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:03 am

It looks very stylish, that's for sure. Sometimes that's enough for me (see: 300), sometimes it's not (see: 47 Ronin). Hard to tell at this point. The decision to make Scarlett run around sort-of naked was... interesting? Let's go with that, for now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:44 am

not the direction i expected the Lost in Translation sequel to go in.

needs more Bill Murray.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:32 pm

TheBaxter wrote:not the direction i expected the Lost in Translation sequel to go in.

needs more Bill Murray.

ImageImage
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:57 am

Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Gets Art Book on March 14
David S. Cohen writes book with foreword by Weta Workshop co-founder Richard Taylor

Scarlett Johansson Is the Highest-Grossing Actor of 2016
Men's rights activists nationwide have just sounded the alarm.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SPOILERS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:20 pm

THR:
'Ghost in the Shell': Film Review

/film March 30th, 2017:
‘Ghost in the Shell’ Early Buzz: A Visually Appealing, Often Familiar Piece of Science-Fiction
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Besson is one of the best visual storytellers of directing movies, even if the plotting and writing aren't always the best he is able to create visuals that make you feel the story even if your brain doesn't quite get it :wink: :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Deadline:
‘Ghost In The Shell’ Will Lose $60 Million-Plus: Here’s Why

Deadline April 1, 2017:
‘Ghost’ Shell-Shocked At $20M+
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:Once again we have a situation where Paramount has a very expensive picture on their hands, and it’s not opening. “When Jim Gianopulos settles in, this type of thing isn’t going to happen!” roared one rival distribution executive today. Talk about deja vu. It was only two months ago when xXx: Return of Xander Cage with a reported production cost of $85M and the social media star power of Vin Diesel made zero impact stateside with a $20.1M opening/$45M final domestic, but all the difference overseas with a $301M take. Hopefully, Ghost will have the same luck abroad.

Frankly, it’s baffling to see Ghost in the Shell going to hell: The visuals rival Blade Runner and it wasn’t too long ago that we saw Scarlett Johnasson opening movies (original IP no less!) on her own with Lucy ($43.9M opening, $126.7M domestic take off a $40m cost) sans the Avengers gang. Furthermore, Paramount was very passionate about this movie, and made waves during the Mr. Robot finale back in September with enigmatic glitch commercial interstitials (pieces from the film). Online it was revealed that the glitches were in fact related to an early brilliant promo for Ghost. In November, Johansson traveled to Tokyo for a massive Ghost in the Shell event where the global trailer was first dropped ultimately earning 1.2M views. Currently, LAX is blitzkrieged with Ghost one-sheets and banners. There’s an even an Osculus Rift virtual experience that was produced for the film, putting users into the shoes of Johansson’s Major character whereby she swan dives from the rooftop and battles geisha robots.

But somewhere along the way, Ghost fell apart whether it was in the marketing or the film itself. Some might point to the white-washing controversy that bubbled on the internet in casting Johansson in a Japanese anime feature adaptation. But really, that type of thing doesn’t weigh heavily on average moviegoers’ minds. Despite the uber-cool, visual trailers that were cut for Ghost, rivals believe it was all eye-candy with zero substance. “You don’t know what the storyline was. Is Scarlett’s character good, or is she bad?” assessed one marketing maven who added the look of Ghost was “too Wachowski-esque.”

RelishMix sharply observed that the film was challenged by an overall non-social and inactive cast. Even though Johansson doesn’t shy away from PR when it comes to her movies, there’s a wasted opportunity here in regards to her absence from social. This is an actress who is a millennial pin-up girl, beloved by males and she’s not meeting that audience head-on with a Dwayne Johnson promo sensibility. The proof of her fanbase resides in the audience polls: On CinemaScore, 39% came out to Ghost because of Johansson with 61% males attending, 76% over 25. Meanwhile, Screen Engine/ComScore’s Posttrak showed 62% males buying tickets with the pic’s largest demo being guys over 25 at 42%. Now a studio will always make-up for a star who is personally non-social by doing other social media stunts with them, but this movie (and Johansson’s career here) could have benefited from her own personal tubthumping, and igniting even more fans to attend. Six years ago, in an Interview with Arianna Huffington, Johansson dissed social media: “I can’t think of anything I’d rather do less than have to continuously share details of my everyday life. I’m always surprised that certain actors have Twitter accounts. I guess they use it in a way that works for them. But I’d rather that people had less access to my personal life.” However, social media is whatever you make it, and it’s certainly the best currency for a star and a wannabe tentpole nowadays (duh). But another reveal here is that despite the box office-to-production cost fail here with Ghost, if a Johansson film is made for the right price ala a Resident Evil, a fanbase will show up and shell out a certain amount of cash.

Lastly, in regards to Ghost, whenever a studio hides a movie from the press, you know something is up. Here in L.A., Paramount scheduled an all-media screening last Wednesday when the bulk of the industry’s vital press corps were covering CinemaCon. Well, there’s no such thing as a coincidence, and Paramount didn’t offer up any earlier screenings for those journalists wanting to see the film ahead of the exhibitor confab. The studio also didn’t screen the movie at CinemaCon because they were holding their exhibitor screenings ahead of time. All of this was odd given the Melrose Lot’s mojo for selling Ghost back in the fall. But then it was clear: Ghost logged a 41% Rotten Tomatoes score with high brow critics declaring “It gets bogged down in aesthetics that are stimulating only for the sake of stimulation, seemingly without a flicker of thought behind them. Shell indeed, but there’s no ghost at home.” (Tribune News’ Katie Walsh).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News