Ghost in the Shell

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Ghost in the Shell

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Live-action Ghost in the Shell news. From the AKIRA TalkBack:

Scott Green wrote:Production I.G, the force behind the various anime versions of GiTS is trying to make it happen. Via Production I.G:

"Pursuant to the agreement with Kodansha Ltd., Production I.G. Inc. will represent the author of the original work and the publisher in negotiations with major film companies for the production and distribution of the live-action Ghost in the Shell."
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:20 am

Main site has this

Aintitcool.com wrote:Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. So, a story popped up on Variety this morning announcing that Dreamworks has nabbed the rights to do-up famous anime GHOST IN THE SHELL as a live action (and 3D) feature film.

The interesting part is that it was Spielberg himself who spearheaded the acquisition.

Avi and Ari Arad are attached to produce and took the project around, where it found its way to Spielberg who urged it to be brought into the fold at Dreamworks.

The plan is indeed to make it a 3D film, live action and STREET KINGS' Jamie Moss is attached to script the adaptation. No word yet on director.

I'm no anime fan, but you don't have to be one to love GHOST IN THE SHELL. It's one of the titles that reaches across genre lines. Curious to see how they handle the project... It'd be amazing if they kept the movie adult (read R-rating), but released it still as 3-D experience. We're getting some horror films in 3-D, which is cool, but I'd love to see a violent, big time sci-fi flick in 3D as well. You?

Now I say, fuck off Speilberg. I don't want another AI.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 am

If he doesn't direct (and he hasn't said he will), then we shouldn't be too worried about that.

Blomkamp!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 am

Yeah this is dumb. I normally don't mind remakes because who really gives a shit and who even remembers them most of the time, but remaking Ghost in the Shell is like remaking 2001, Ben Hur or Touch of Evil. Pointless.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:48 am

I suppose a well-made live action 'Ghost in the Shell' might succeed in consigning The Matrix sequels to the minor sidenote in cinema history that they deserve to be, but other than that, I can't think of a good reason to do this.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 am

Ugh, let's not start this argument. To me, debating the merits of creating a live action film out of a cartoon is about the same as debating whether a movie should be made from a book. Why not? Totally different mediums. And let's be honest, as great as animation can be, you don't get the same visceral impact, or emotional connection that you get with seeing real live people. At least, that's how I feel about it. One of the reasons I can't WAIT for the Akira film.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:56 am

It's not an argument, Fawst, it was a statement. I will probably never agree with your sentiment that animated movies are somehow inferior to live action in terms of pure sensory experience or visceral thrills, and so this is something we will continue to disagree upon.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:58 am

I think the world of animation should take its revenge by "adapting" films like Citizen Kane and The Godfather into musical cartoons with cute anthropomorphic animal characters instead of people!

The horse's head scene will have like three times the impact that way! :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:13 am

@ Tape, Burl, Pacino

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only that doesn't want to see this beautiful TV series and Film ruined.

Mind you, the Sequel was far to pretentious for it's own good.

(Anyone have that version with subs and then subs for the quotes from confuscious, shakeperes and many others?)

I don't normally post something from the main page but this whole Hollywood,

'Hey, let's take a successful Anime/Japanese series...and turn it into a pike of shit and hope no-one knows it is. That way we can make our money and ruin a whole fan base', attitude, really kills me.

I agree that remakes can be done well but there has to be a point to the remake, or reimagining, or reinvention, or reworking, or whatever the film fucking prima donna's want to call it.

papalazeru

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:19 am

tapehead wrote:It's not an argument, Fawst, it was a statement. I will probably never agree with your sentiment that animated movies are somehow inferior to live action in terms of pure sensory experience or visceral thrills, and so this is something we will continue to disagree upon.

You should have left it at "It's not an argument, Fawst, it was a statement," and not edited the rest in. You know what I meant. We've had this argument (call it a discussion if it feels better) before, many times. Why beat the dead horse further?

And I really did write that poorly, I'll cede you that one :) I meant to say that a live action version of an anime, or a cartoon, or a book, or anything has the potential to be better than the source material. I would argue that Transformers is a good example.

Hell, I've seen the light. I understand just how much Matrix ripped off a lot of stuff. But it's still more enjoyable to me than GITS (the first Matrix, that is).

Aaaaaaaaaanyways, I was just being cautious, and trying to nip it in the bud early, rather than have it turn into another debate.
Last edited by Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:20 am

Fawst wrote:
tapehead wrote:It's not an argument, Fawst, it was a statement. I will probably never agree with your sentiment that animated movies are somehow inferior to live action in terms of pure sensory experience or visceral thrills, and so this is something we will continue to disagree upon.

You should have left it at "It's not an argument, Fawst, it was a statement," and not edited the rest in. You know what I meant. We've had this argument (call it a discussion if it feels better) before, many times. Why beat the dead horse further?

And I really did write that poorly, I'll cede you that one :) I meant to say that a live action version of an anime, or a cartoon, or a book, or anything has the potential to be better than the source material. I would argue that Transformers is a good example.

Hell, I've seen the light. I understand just how much Matrix ripped off a lot of stuff. But it's still more enjoyable to me than GITS (the first Matrix, that is).

Aaaaaaaaaanyways, I was just being cautious, and trying to nip it in the bud early, rather than have it turn into another debate.

Ok. Go remake Appleseed in Live action.

Oh wait, the 2004 version was frakin' awesome. No need.

papalazeru

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am

Fuck it, I'm too late. I'm gonna be an ultra douche for a moment, so bear with me.

"WAAAAAAAAAAH, my precious <insert dear-to-your-heart property here> is being sullied by those fools in Hollywood! Even though they can't take my original away, I'm still gonna pitch a fit! Even though no gun is at my head forcing me to see this, I'm gonna complain!"

That's what I hear every time I read a statement like "there's no point in this."

Yes there is. To create a live-action spectacle, and to rake in a fuck-load of money. You don't have to like it, but that's how the game works. If you don't want to see it, then don't. But don't toss around a statement like "there's no point to this." If you want to get technical, there's no point to ANYTHING in life, is there?

Anyone want to bitch about Cameron doing Battle Angel?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:28 am

Fawst wrote:Fuck it, I'm too late. I'm gonna be an ultra douche for a moment, so bear with me.

"WAAAAAAAAAAH, my precious <insert dear-to-your-heart property here> is being sullied by those fools in Hollywood! Even though they can't take my original away, I'm still gonna pitch a fit! Even though no gun is at my head forcing me to see this, I'm gonna complain!"

LOL
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:31 am

Fawst wrote:Anyone want to bitch about Cameron doing Battle Angel?

Nope. I'm okay with that at the moment. Battle Angel lends itself quite well to being turned into a film.

I must admit the whole Morloks and Eeloys theme with Tiphares up there will be interesting to see how he does it.

Now if it ends up like Titanic....WOE BETIDE YOU CAMERON!!!

(i.e missing the point of the entire event and concentrating on a stupid shit love story)

papalazeru

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:32 am

You keep on making statements and posts I agree with I'm going to have to reconsider your "online enemy" status. :wink:
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:44 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:

You keep on making statements and posts I agree with I'm going to have to reconsider your "online enemy" status. :wink:

Personally, I've found that Anime/Cartoons/comics/graphic novels, have a way of expressing themselves where film has it's limitations. A lot like books.

I think they are all good in their own right but I certainly wouldn't put Animated movies are inferior, and I think you'd have a fight on your hands to prove it Fawst.

papalazeru

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:46 am

Fawst wrote:Fuck it, I'm too late. I'm gonna be an ultra douche for a moment, so bear with me.

That's what I hear every time I read a statement like "there's no point in this."

Yes there is. To create a live-action spectacle, and to rake in a fuck-load of money. You don't have to like it, but that's how the game works. If you don't want to see it, then don't. But don't toss around a statement like "there's no point to this." If you want to get technical, there's no point to ANYTHING in life, is there?

Nice repositioning - miles away from your previous 'The Wachowskis are Movie Gods yadda, yadda, yadda...

I'm quite keen to see Cameron's project - it was never an anime movie or shorts was it? I've only seen some of the manga.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:53 am

papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:

Personally, I've found that Anime/Cartoons/comics/graphic novels, have a way of expressing themselves where film has it's limitations. A lot like books.

I think they are all good in their own right but I certainly wouldn't put Animated movies are inferior, and I think you'd have a fight on your hands to prove it Fawst.

Indeed. Take Paprika. Although it has a vaguely realistic design style you'd have a fight on your hands trying to pull that one off in live-action and retain the same feel.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:27 am

This is where 'A scanner Darkly' worked so well for me. It was a perfect blend of reality and the virtual. I don't see that technique working for all films but to redo GITS (looks funny in abrevs), would be a waste of time, I think. It should just be an animation piece. Maybe with new graphics you could do an updated version without changing the story?

papalazeru

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:52 am

tapehead wrote:

Nice repositioning - miles away from your previous 'The Wachowskis are Movie Gods yadda, yadda, yadda...

You like that one? :) Yah, I completely retract it. To a point. They did actually make the movie, and regardless of what The Matrix ripped off/borrowed from, it's still an amazing movie in its own right.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:43 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:

Indeed. Take Paprika. Although it has a vaguely realistic design style you'd have a fight on your hands trying to pull that one off in live-action and retain the same feel.

Probably missed this thread, post the film's release - it's worth a read.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I just remembered... I've never scene GITS. I've seen a LOT of it, parts here and there, but never all the way through.

Guess I have a new NetFlix #1 queue.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:07 pm

Fawst wrote:

Argument lost. Please report to your section's medic for brain-retraining.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Fawst wrote:I would argue that Transformers is a good example.

Were the cartoon and the movie both cheesey? Bet your ass. But did the movie do it with STYLE? Hell yes.

Anyways, back to GITS. It would be nice if they did this no-holds-barred, and made it as graphically violent/adult as the anime. Take Planet Terror as a base to work from. That movie was insanely gorey. No reason we can't have it in this as well. But that's not gonna stop me from worrying. Now that I think about it, if Spielberg is handling this, will it be WOTW Spielberg, or will it be Munich Spielberg?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Fawst wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Were the cartoon and the movie both cheesey? Bet your ass. But did the movie do it with STYLE? Hell yes.

Ahem! Orsen Welles as the voice of Omicron, Leonard Nimoy as Optimus....all in the cartoon. NOW, you want to bring in STYLE to justify an argument?

I do...*Ahem* at you squire!

Edit: Oh yes. IRON MAIDEN FOR THE SOUNTRACK!!!

Now there's a cultutal boundary that breached all know laws.

Sci-fi, Poigniant drama and classic Rock...all in one go. Now tell me who REALLY has STYLE?

The cartoon certainly lived up to its name, 'more than meets the eye'.

papalazeru

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:58 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fawst wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Ahem! Orsen Welles as the voice of Omicron, Leonard Nimoy as Optimus....all in the cartoon. NOW, you want to bring in STYLE to justify an argument?

I do...*Ahem* at you squire!

Edit: Oh yes. IRON MAIDEN FOR THE SOUNTRACK!!!

Now there's a cultutal boundary that breached all know laws.

Sci-fi, Poigniant drama and classic Rock...all in one go. Now tell me who REALLY has STYLE?

The cartoon certainly lived up to its name, 'more than meets the eye'.

Bah, we will need to wait for Transformers 3 til we hit that point! The live action movie is hands down better than the TV show. The cartoon movie was another beast entirely! But even that had its moments of doubleyew-tea-eff?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm

tapehead wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:

Probably missed this thread, post the film's release - it's worth a read.

Thanks, man, I'll take a read!

edit - nice review and ref's, particularly to Cronenberg. Now I think on Paprika possibly the closest film I personally can compare it to was Existenz, as it too contains multiple realities compiling in on eachother.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Fawst wrote: I meant to say that a live action version of an anime, or a cartoon, or a book, or anything has the potential to be better than the source material. I would argue that Transformers is a good example.

It was terrible adaptation of Transformers: The Movie. They completely left out Unicron.

The issue of adapting anime to live action is a case by case basis. The problem with adapting things like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Honneamise...is that they are already wide-reaching, cinematical entities in their own right which really did transcend the medium and start to get the west to realise that regardless of it's animated nature - it is a film.

Adapting stuff like Battle Angel, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist etc etc is fairly inconsequential to most people as they have neither the status, quality or wide scale appeal already in place.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Fawst wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Anyways, back to GITS. It would be nice if they did this no-holds-barred, and made it as graphically violent/adult as the anime. Take Planet Terror as a base to work from. That movie was insanely gorey. No reason we can't have it in this as well. But that's not gonna stop me from worrying. Now that I think about it, if Spielberg is handling this, will it be WOTW Spielberg, or will it be Munich Spielberg?

I hope it's the Hook Spielberg. I'm trying to work out why Planet Terror is a good example to use for a live action (or indeed in this case, 3d mo-cap) adaptation of an anime movie, and I've decided; it isn't.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:21 pm

Fawst wrote:Bah, we will need to wait for Transformers 3 til we hit that point! The live action movie is hands down better than the TV show. The cartoon movie was another beast entirely! But even that had its moments of doubleyew-tea-eff?

See. That's just plain trying to wind me up. The TV show was grade A but it went along way to developing characters.

The Movie was half diabolical and needed a hell of a lot of work on the the script. The Animated Movie was much better. It had its faults, mind you. I never liked Rodimus Prime or Ultra Magnus (the suck ass).

Mr Shakey cam, ruined the movie to a degree. There were some great moments but omiting Jazz from the story? Nope, he was integral.

And, what about Scorponok? He was a bad ass who turned up from Cybertron later on (about comic 75 pr summint) but the he had a reason for taking insect form which was lost int he film.

Possibly, it could be elaborated in a sequel, who knows? But, I sure as hell need Soundwave (th real brains) and I need Shockwave from Cybertron.

So say we all.

papalazeru

Postby Fawst on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:21 pm

tapehead wrote:I'm trying to work out why Planet Terror is a good example to use for a live action (or indeed in this case, 3d mo-cap) adaptation of an anime movie, and I've decided; it isn't.

No, I meant as a base for graphic violence in a film. In the opening of GITS, the chick jumps off a roof naked, then blows a guys head apart while hanging upside down outside the window.

Naveen Andrews got his head blown off (in a comic way) in Planet Terror. That movie had the best splatter packs I've seen from bullet wounds in a long time, same with the trailer for Machete where he gets shot in the shoulder. That's my point. The anime is ridiculously violent. There's no reason the live action shouldn't be. I'd be disappointed and offended if they don't stick to that aspect.

In short, I wasn't saying PT was a good jumping off point for an anime, I'm saying the level of violence set a precedent. It's allowable. It can and should be done.

@papa:

You would have spewed in your pants 10 times over if Bay's Transformers came out in the 80's. You know it's true.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Fawst wrote:No, I meant as a base for graphic violence in a film. In the opening of GITS, the chick jumps off a roof naked, then blows a guys head apart while hanging upside down outside the window.

Naveen Andrews got his head blown off (in a comic way) in Planet Terror. That movie had the best splatter packs I've seen from bullet wounds in a long time, same with the trailer for Machete where he gets shot in the shoulder. That's my point. The anime is ridiculously violent. There's no reason the live action shouldn't be. I'd be disappointed and offended if they don't stick to that aspect.

In short, I wasn't saying PT was a good jumping off point for an anime, I'm saying the level of violence set a precedent. It's allowable. It can and should be done.

@papa:

You would have spewed in your pants 10 times over if Bay's Transformers came out in the 80's. You know it's true.

The problem is that GITS has a reason for it. In Planet Terror there wasn't that much impetus to show that. At least with a 'cartoon', you know that if they are going to draw the shots, it'd better have a fucking point because it takes alot longer than filming it.

Oh! And, the reason I appreciate Transformers (as other zoners will testify) is that I never considered that film 'Transformers'. As far I was concerned, it was 'Big fuck off Robots smashin stuff but with the same title as one of my fave 80's cartoons and it just happens to be called Transformers'. That's how I lived through that film.

And once I accepted that, I enjoyed it.

papalazeru

Ghost in the Shell and Speilberg

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:11 pm

This is just as random as hearing that ROBIN WILLIAMS is a fucking NEON GENESIS EVANGELION fan! (he's the one who put the ref in ONE HOUR PHOTO)

But, could it be good.. YES!

I for one would enjoy GHOST IN THE SHELL movie, if its LIVE ACTION.. and done properly.

Its a type of property thats open for adaptation.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Ghost in the Shell and Speilberg

Postby papalazeru on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:17 am

bastard_robo wrote:This is just as random as hearing that ROBIN WILLIAMS is a fucking NEON GENESIS EVANGELION fan! (he's the one who put the ref in ONE HOUR PHOTO)

I for one would enjoy GHOST IN THE SHELL movie, if its LIVE ACTION.. and done properly.

It's too meaty.

They fucked up I, Robot and Minority Report. We know where this one is going to end up...Blockbusters Bargain Bucket.

papalazeru

Re: Ghost in the Shell and Speilberg

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:14 am

papalazeru wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:This is just as random as hearing that ROBIN WILLIAMS is a fucking NEON GENESIS EVANGELION fan! (he's the one who put the ref in ONE HOUR PHOTO)

It's too meaty.

They fucked up I, Robot and Minority Report. We know where this one is going to end up...Blockbusters Bargain Bucket.

I Robot had been bastardized several times before the movie..

And Minority Report, I actually liked... Never read the story it was based on.. but I thought Speilberg did a good job with Curise in the lead.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:24 am

Why can't Spielberg just take the premise of trying to determine if a soul can reside within an artificial life and just name it something different? Knowing he took the guns out of E.T., I don't think this movie is going to get the faithful adaptation it should. I'll still watch it and I'll probably enjoy it immensely, but it won't be a true Ghost in the Shell.

You know what? fuck it. Ghost in the Shell has already been neutered and by the Japanese themselves. That S.A.C. show is tame as hell, and I only watched 2 episodes and was bored to tears, but the kids seem to like it.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Ghost in the Shell and Speilberg

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:33 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Why can't Spielberg just take the premise of trying to determine if a soul can reside within an artificial life and just name it something different? Knowing he took the guns out of E.T., I don't think this movie is going to get the faithful adaptation it should. I'll still watch it and I'll probably enjoy it immensely, but it won't be a true Ghost in the Shell.

You know what? fuck it. Ghost in the Shell has already been neutered and by the Japanese themselves. That S.A.C. show is tame as hell, and I only watched 2 episodes and was bored to tears, but the kids seem to like it.

I fell asleep for 5 mintues in the theater while watching the sequal..

The only other movie I did that with was ROMEO MUST DIE... Terrible movie...

FOR SHAME... JET LI!!!!

— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Ghost in the Shell

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm wondering if it will be movie Ghost ion the shell or series Ghost in the Shell
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Raziel on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Apparently, the GITS 2.0 Blu-ray features the original rlease of GITS, but only in Standard Def. Hmmm.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:49 am

I just wonder where they will find actors with big eyes, pointy noses and expressionless faces, who just open and close their mouths without any lips movement when they talk.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:10 pm

From First Showing:
Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Writer Talks About the Script

"Ghost in the Shell was originally the manga. The anime came from the original graphic novel and then — and that anime, as you know, is a relatively famous, groundbreaking piece of material — also generated two seasons of an animated television show as well. And this is an adaptation of the original manga, the original comic book that sort of began everything."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:21 pm

I was about to say that minus the bit about the TV show, it sounded exactly like the Will Smith quote regarding the (thankfully) failed Oldboy remake.
....and then I realized that Speilberg was involved with both!! :shock:

GADZOOKS, I say!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby quiethell on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 am

It really seems like this, Akira, and Cowboy Bebop won't be happening any time soon. I'm all for them as long as they're done right and honor the source material, but I swear I've been hearing about Akira for the longest time now, and no real progress has been made to where they're actually filming it. I guess that's Hollywood though...
quiethell
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:11 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:02 am

Rupert Sanders Set To Helm ‘Ghost In The Shell’ For DreamWorks
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:EXCLUSIVE:

DreamWorks has made a deal with Snow White And The Huntsman helmer Rupert Sanders to direct Ghost In The Shell, a live-action film based on the Japanese manga futuristic police thriller that has a new script from William Wheeler. The film is being produced by Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul. Fueled by the personal passion of Steven Spielberg, DreamWorks acquired the project several years ago with ambitious plans to shoot it in 3D.

Created by Masamune Shirow, Ghost in the Shell was first published in 1989 by Kodansha, one of the largest publishing companies in Japan. It went on to generate two additional manga editions, three anime film adaptations, an anime TV series and three videogames. DreamWorks released the second anime film.

The story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.

Wheeler scripted Hoax and The Reluctant Fundamentalist and most recently completed the Robert Schwentke-attached serial killer Entering Hades for New Regency as well as Queen of Katwe, a true story about a young female chess prodigy from Africa, which has Reluctant Fundamentalist helmer Mira Nair attached. The UTA/Anonymous Content-repped scribe also scripted Brand, a USA Network project that has Jodie Foster attached to direct.

Sanders has several directing projects percolating, and it isn’t clear which film he’ll helm next. He’s got 90 Church with Universal and producer Joe Roth, an epic about the bloody battles of Napoleon Bonaparte at Warner Bros, and he’s developing Juliet for Sony and New Regency, with Charles Roven producing, as well as the screen adaptation of the Frederick Forsyth thriller The Kill List for producers Steve Schwartz, Paula Mae Schwartz and Nick Wechsler. Sanders is repped by CAA and attorney Carlos Goodman and in the UK by Duncan Heath and Jack Thomas at Independent Talent Group.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 pm

I guess it depends on what exactly they're adapting, but I remember thinking that the TV show "Standalone Complex" seemed like it had a lot of material that could be mined for a live-action film or film series. I don't think I need to see a remake of the original movie, which has already sort of been remade (Ghost in the Shell 2.0), but I'd be interested in seeing what they come up with regardless.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Comics Alliance:
‘Project 2501′ Working To Recreate ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Title Sequence Shot-For-Shot [NSFW]
Chris Sims wrote:Even back before manga and anime exploded (or E X P L O D Ed, as the case may be) and became as widely available as they are today, Masaume Shirow‘s Ghost In The Shell and Mamoru Oshii‘s anime adaptation were considered to be true high points of the cyberpunk genre around the world. It’s one of the most well known franchises in the entirety of anime, producing multiple sequels and influencing films like The Matrix.

Obviously, it’s going to have a pretty dedicated fanbase, and now, a group of artists and filmmakers have gotten together to produce a live-action fan-film adaptation of the original Ghost In The Shell anime’s title sequence, reproducing it shot-for-shot. Check out a NSFW video of the process behind the recreation below!

Project 2501 http://www.gits2501.com/
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Movie News