Saturn And The End Of Days

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Saturn And The End Of Days

Postby Fawst on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:13 am

It ain't the Hobbit, it ain't the Mountains of Madness, and it certainly ain't that cool.

GDT's next movie will be a *drumroll* CHILD HORROR FILM! SHOCKER!

He's NEVER done one of THOSE before :roll:

I'm bitter and I'm pissed. It's a movie about a kid named Saturn who witnesses the Rapture on his way to and from the grocery store. While it COULD be good, and in all likelihood will be entertaining, the man needs to stop. As I said in the talkback of the main page story, Hobbit will likely be tied up for a while because of the legal issues. But Christ, can the guy please just make a movie that ISN'T another "personal movie about childhood," as Mori puts it?

Blah.

So what would YOU do if you were a kid watching the Rapture as you do your errands? I think my problem with this is that as soon as I heard the concept, I thought that it could be pretty great, but at the cost of two other great films being made first. Pisses me off. But I'll get over it.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:59 am

Yeesh, he prolly wants to close off a "trilogy" of Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth style films... but doesn't Cronos count in that regard?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 am

:(

I think it sounds cool, although the basic premise sounds more like something you'd see in a 3-4 minute music video.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:37 am

Well, I was bored to tears with Devils' Backbone, and mildly entertained with Pan's Labyrinth, so maybe third times the charm for me!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:03 pm

I hope it's like those scary/schlocky movies about the end times that were filmed in the 70s and shown in churches. Those were bad ASS.

Here's the lyrics from one song I remember:

Life was filled with guns and war
And everyone got trampled on the floor
I wish wed all been ready

Children died the day grew cold
A piece of bread could buy a bag of gold

Theres no time to change your mind
The son has come and youve been left behind

A man and wife sleep in bed she hears a noise
And turns her head hes gone

Two men walking up a hill one disappears and
Ones left standing still

The son has come and youve been left behind
Life was filled with guns and war
And everyone got trampled on the floor
Children died the days grew cold
A piece of bread could buy a bag of gold

How could you have been so blind
The father spoke the demons dined
The son has come and youve been left behind.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 am

I'm really excited about this, it reminds me of the "Shaun of the Dead" morning walk to the shops. I got the spooks just thinking about this one.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby instant_karma on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:50 am

Soooo, is the kid gonna turn out to be having premonitions about the end of days coming and try to save the souls of friends and family that he has seen are not going to be taken up in the Rapture?

'cause if it turns out not to be that, maybe I should write that movie...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby dARKtimes on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:24 am

Love Del Toro. Love Hellboy. Love Pan's Labyrinth. Gotta say that this premise sounds kind of crappy though. I'm still interested to see what he can do with it but it doesn't sound like one of his best.
And remember... Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see!

I apologise for EVERYTHING.
dARKtimes
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am

The premise has potential, but come on Guillermo do Mountains of Madness!!!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 pm

How long is the movie going to be? I'd imagine that any kid would run home and hide under his bed when he heard the seventh seal break and the trumpet sound.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:09 pm

This premise makes me think of the Aquabats! song "Chemical Bomb." I'm not sure if it'd make a good movie, but it'd probably make a bitchin' music video.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Ribbons wrote:This premise makes me think of the Aquabats! song "Chemical Bomb." I'm not sure if it'd make a good movie, but it'd probably make a bitchin' music video.

Fievel wrote::(

I think it sounds cool, although the basic premise sounds more like something you'd see in a 3-4 minute music video.

I concur.
:D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:08 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Yeesh, he prolly wants to close off a "trilogy" of Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth style films... but doesn't Cronos count in that regard?

That is the first of his Geriatric Vampire series.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Re: Saturn And The End Of Days

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 am

Fawst wrote:It ain't the Hobbit, it ain't the Mountains of Madness, and it certainly ain't that cool.

GDT's next movie will be a *drumroll* CHILD HORROR FILM! SHOCKER!

He's NEVER done one of THOSE before :roll:

I'm bitter and I'm pissed. It's a movie about a kid named Saturn who witnesses the Rapture on his way to and from the grocery store. While it COULD be good, and in all likelihood will be entertaining, the man needs to stop. As I said in the talkback of the main page story, Hobbit will likely be tied up for a while because of the legal issues. But Christ, can the guy please just make a movie that ISN'T another "personal movie about childhood," as Mori puts it?

Blah.

So what would YOU do if you were a kid watching the Rapture as you do your errands? I think my problem with this is that as soon as I heard the concept, I thought that it could be pretty great, but at the cost of two other great films being made first. Pisses me off. But I'll get over it.

He's an artist, an artist has themes. What, you want him to work on something he doesn't have an innate understanding and passion for? I can understand your complaint maybe a tiny bit but being bitter and pissed off by it seems a little off. Good filmmakers and writers play to their strengths and what they know. It's like complaining that early Cronenberg put his faith too much in body horror or something... or Carpenter had one device in the faceless angry mob...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:55 am

I'll eat anything Del Toro produces. I'd rather eat his Mountains of Madness though, like stereos said.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:35 am

Fievel wrote:
Ribbons wrote:This premise makes me think of the Aquabats! song "Chemical Bomb." I'm not sure if it'd make a good movie, but it'd probably make a bitchin' music video.

Fievel wrote::(

I concur.
:D

I dunno what you guys are talking about. You think such a Last Judgement is over in a coupla minutes? You Mtv generation, you! :wink:

I reckon it would take up a fair bit of time- with lots of people frantically running around -first trying to understand, believe and then to reason whether they will be amongst the chosen ones. A lot of last minute goodbyes, confessions, or reckless decadent splurges, because it will soon be all over. Anyway- lots and lots of time left to look on - hours, days, perhaps even weeks! Sheesh- it could turn out longer than Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz!

Basically - you get to see exactly everyones immediate reactions to the world's end. And it'd be pretty interesting to see who exactly gets taken on board by captain JC. Sounds pretty cool to me. And especially seen through GDT's (children's or not) eyes - it will probably look breath-takingly fantastic and inspire great awe and fear. It will be great, I tells ya!
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 am

Seconded on that Dee E. Imagine catching those first signs of trouble, wondering if you really saw it, the psychological aspect intrigues me. Plus as a tale based round a kid, then boy you got a great rite of passage movie with the rapture involved!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: Saturn And The End Of Days

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Guillermo Del Toro leaves THE HOBBIT...

Hey folks, H arry here and I am all at once incredibly sad and relieved that our good friend Guillermo Del Toro is leaving THE HOBBIT two-parter. Sad, because I know - beyond any doubt what Guillermo's HOBBIT would've been. I can see in my mind's eye the look of the film, the flow of the film and the loving detail his wonderful eyes would give us. And to a degree, some of Guillermo's vision will always be a part of the eventual films that will eventually be made.

The questions that now come into play are filled with wild curiousity. TheOneRing.Net has the official press release. The main reason for this is that Guillermo had pre-existing commitments with Universal for a whole slate of films, that the absurd situation with MGM has caused to occur. SO... Now - will THE HOBBIT be made in time for Warner's announced dates? Will Peter Jackson, who hasn't committed to a next feature - that is, at least, announced thus far.

With Peter still producing and overseeing the project - I'm sure we won't get a Brett Ratner or Paul W.S. Anderson aboard. But if Peter is still reticent to helm THE HOBBIT... Who would you folks like to see take the reins from Guillermo? Whose aesthetic fits both Peter and Guillermo? The mind boggles.

Now you may ask why I'm relieved. The reason I'm relieved is that while I knew intellectually that Guillermo would make a great HOBBIT film... I was terrified of the second film. BUT mainly I want to see Guillermo's more Guillermo-themed projects. Weird bits of awesome. I am concerned now that without HOBBIT's success - that I may never see AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS get made, which is the Number 1 film I need to see Guillermo make. And in Guillermo's heart, it is his as well. Who knows. Maybe that'll end up being next. But Guillermo has the following films in a stage of development -- HATER, CHAMPIONS, SATURN AND THE END OF DAYS, PINNOCHIO, DEATH: THE HIGH COST OF LIVING, THE WITCHES, DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, FRANKENSTEIN and DROOD.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News